• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2016

Why multis?

The 50 foot racey cat got smashed by the fast 40s to Keppel in perfect multi conditions

World has moved on.

That should get things going!

Pecadillo wasn't a 50 foot racing cat - it is a Chris White Atlantic Performance cruising cat, Atlantic 46. It cruised up from Melbourne to get to the start and is heading to Hobart. It was beaten by Wild Oats, Blackjack, Alive (RP 66), Swish (kernan 44), The Goat (Rogers 46), Mr Kite (Cape Barrett 44) . It beat everything else, including Kerumba which is a fast Ker 50and probably cost 5 times as much or more. I would hardly call that getting smashed by the fast 40s. But hey, dont let the facts get in the way.

That should Hammo not Hobart!

Lets not call Kerumba fast, it a centre board cruising boat with pretty windows in the side

and after Kerumba came the Mumm 36s and the Frst 40s

short handed -- yes

But for chrissakes, don't start them in the harbour on the same day

why not just play with the turning marks outside and add a 3rd start line?

i would have thought double handers are generally going to be smaller and slower than the bulk of the fleet anyway, so put a bit of distance between them and congestion shouldn't be a huge problem.

short handed -- yes

i would have thought double handers are generally going to be smaller and slower than the bulk of the fleet anyway, so put a bit of distance between them and congestion shouldn't be a huge problem.

Have you been in a SH start recently?

There is a huge spread of speeds - short-handing up the harbour with a big fleet in a NE'ster is a recipe for disaster.

short handed -- yes

There is a huge spread of speeds - short-handing up the harbour with a big fleet in a NE'ster is a recipe for disaster.

no just speculating.

i think it's an interesting division and would make a cool addition, but obviously not at the risk of the wider fleet.

I'm confident more experienced sailors/planners than me could figure out how to make it work if they really wanted.

short handed -- yes

no just speculating.

i think it's an interesting division and would make a cool addition, but obviously not at the risk of the wider fleet.

I'm confident more experienced sailors/planners than me could figure out how to make it work if they really wanted.

Look - I agree it would be great.

Set them off either before or after the main fleet -- just give them heaps of space to play in without having to worry about all the other hotheads.

Can't see why you could not send them off an hour before from the front starting line. Would be very doable. IIRC the spectator restrictions are already in place by then.

After would not work - the spectator fleet goes manic.

Double handed multihulls, agghhhhh!

I don't get the double handed thing, if you don't have enough crew and sail 2 handed then so be it, don't need a different division, just go and sail the thing.

Double handed multihulls, agghhhhh!

I don't get the double handed thing, if you don't have enough crew and sail 2 handed then so be it, don't need a different division, just go and sail the thing.

Current min crew requirement is 6, so a new division is required.

Back when I was more enthusiastic I tried to get the CYCA to lower their crew requirements...I know better now. Every other major race has two-handed and multi divisions. I agree with Ockaroo - have two-handers sailing in same race - after watching the Gold Coast start can anyone really say shorthanded crews are the dangerous ones? At least on a two-handed yacht all people on board are competent sailors!

Such a shame boats like Loyal shouldnt been stored away for one race a year....

WTF ... after turning turtle and Bell bought it it was a go out once a year pony with year to year Kmart add ons....and was a huge fuckin fail in the boat department....complete shame on its pedigree as fastest 100' on planet earth back at launch.

Such a shame boats like Loyal shouldnt been stored away for one race a year....

WTF ... after turning turtle and Bell bought it it was a go out once a year pony with year to year Kmart add ons....and was a huge fuckin fail in the boat department....complete shame on its pedigree as fastest 100' on planet earth back at launch.

It's fucked.... a write off.... new hull seems the only answer....

BTW: News is the Short handed Multi Div. .. will be approved.. press release coming at a quarter past .... maybe half past...

This boat never really delivered and even it's original owner abandoned it after a scary ocean experience. From when the original owner lost interest very shortly after getting it built to being flipped and losing it's keel the future was cast even after Bell's attempt to get it going again. Who would buy it now? Syd come-on just one more boat...! LOL

Hey, so the Cookson 50 (ex-Victoire) has been sold to West Oz and entered in this year's race? Looks like the boat will be getting a new name?

Any news on what Darryl is doing these days... sailing-wise? I know he took a spill in last year's race...

Cheers

Mex

Let's be serious.

Who wants to go to Sydney once they're in Melbourne?

Who wants to go to Hobart?

Who really wants to do a 628 mile race that has more safety requirements than the VOR?

Really, who cares?

Let's be serious.

Who wants to go to Sydney once they're in Melbourne?

Who wants to go to Hobart?

Who really wants to do a 628 mile "semi coastal" race that has more safety requirements than the VOR?

Really, who cares?

Amended.

Mate, they have to keep running the Hobart Race so they have something to televise on Boxing Day because the Aussie cricket team aint worth showing to anyone anymore. Besides, if they canned the Hobart, the CYCA would have no real reason to exist any more and the plonkers that frequent it would have to find another watering hole where they can tell outrageous lies about how good they once were.

"Who wants to go to Sydney once they're in Melbourne?"

Please explain......

Can't find the context for why you mention Melbourne.

I hear you loud and clear about how restrictive (and therefore prohibitively expensive) it has become.

Without Comanche returning, and the WOXI programme in a stage of redefining its goals following the loss of Bob, the whole line honours contest is at a genuine tipping point that could go either way. The other maxis are just making up the numbers hoping to do a Stephen Bradbury. Without the line honours interest, then CYCA would lose a lot of media interest (possibly also its headline sponsor) and the whole race could lose its critical mass and "premier" status.

Is the WOXI programme really in that big a danger? I walk down at Clarkes on a regular basis & there's always something going on with the WO - be it WOX or WOXI. There seems to be no intention of selling WOX either, so the Pittwater twilight series is assured...

No - I was not suggesting that there is less commitment by Sandy and the WOXI effort - but when you are dealing with the dollars required to run that boat - and there is little to no meaningful competition; & while the race and more importantly the Line Honours division that the boat is focused on is on the wane (the media coverage and website tracker for the race has for many years been less than second rate) ....... then the bean counters who advise Sandy will always suggest dialling back on the spend factor.

It is business after all.

The problems start and end with the CYCA and how they run their one big product.
Unlike other bluewater classics - S2H is the only offering not growing in popularity - Rolex knows this. CYCA knows this, and also know that Rolex knows this.

Without a proper line honours battle will Channel 7 stick around? - without a mainstay broadcaster the whole product offering becomes very much harder.
The WOXI & Comanche battle has capped about 12-15 years of surging interest that started with big glamorous boats duking it out and giving great visuals - Nicorette, Alfa, Skandia, Zana, WOXI, Ragamuffin - with the odd bout of serious boat failure and near sinking to keep people coming back - but having a billionaire with his supermodel wife really took the whole story into another league of non sport interest, that dovetailed so nicely with the Rolex image.
What story is going to be told this year? Going to look a little more like club motorsport rather than Formula One without such stories.

This was the critical mass, or tipping point that I referred to.

It's interesting to hear your thoughts. Bob always appeared to me in it for the love of it. I remember racing against them in the 80s at the RPAYC before money got into & he was a true salt. I guess after the Southcorp deal enabled him to be the big boy in the sandpit. But he always had a tear in his eye whenever he gazed at WOXI, so I reckon, if he were here, he'd have her on the water even if she was sailing on her own. The same with the rest of the family. I mean who would have an RP66 just to do Wednesday nighters down at the RPAYC...

Well if they're not out sailing in a few weeks time, you can predict it may well be the fastest boat.

Returning back to Sydney.

Hey, so the Cookson 50 (ex-Victoire) has been sold to West Oz and entered in this year's race? Looks like the boat will be getting a new name?

Any news on what Darryl is doing these days... sailing-wise? I know he took a spill in last year's race...

Cheers

Mex

Don't think it's been sold, Just Chartered out for Blue Water and Hobart. Darryl is still doing OPS races out of CYC.

Cheers

Mex

Don't think it's been sold, Just Chartered out for Blue Water and Hobart. Darryl is still doing OPS races out of CYC.

$450,000 USD and it's yours.

Cool about Oats smashing the Brisbane to Keppel race record by seven hours, average speed 20.55 kts, a little faster than Commanche's Atlantic effort - average 18.3 kts, they must just be faster over the whole race course still.

^_^

Cool about Oats smashing the Brisbane to Keppel race record by seven hours, average speed 20.55 kts, a little faster than Commanche's Atlantic effort - average 18.3 kts, they must just be faster over the whole race course still.

^_^

Yes because the whole of the Atlantic and BRS to KPL are so very similar.

Is this the super secret bakewell white that we've been hearing about for a while?

Lunda with the old boat, Canting deck i hear...

^_^

Yes because the whole of the Atlantic and BRS to KPL are so very similar.

And this has what to do with the price of bread.....Oh I get it... here: when oats raced Comanche the full race distance, they beat them. Undisputed, undeniably recorded as Oats being the faster yacht to Hobart in the same conditions, on the same racetrack, over the same distance......

And then they raced again and one made it and the other didn't. I think we all know the old saying, "To finish first, first you must finish.

how many times has Oats done it?

how many times has Commanche done it?

roll the dice enough times, something will go wrong.

And then they raced again and one made it and the other didn't. I think we all know the old saying, "To finish first, first you must finish.

how many times has Oats done it?

how many times has Commanche done it?

roll the dice enough times, something will go wrong.

Where is Oats based, where is Comanche?

Oats damn well better have done the race more times, it's the only proper distance race it ever takes part in. Making that your argument is liking making the argument that Comanche is clearly better because it's the one that has the line honors record in the Newport - Bermuda Race.

Making that your argument is just tautological nonsense.

Shit, geographic arguments aside, how many years old is WOXI vs Comanche?

Umm, which bit of WO are you referring too?

The bow and stern sections are younger than C, are they not?

Better leave the powered winches aside, although the CF crapper kind of evens it up.

There's probably a 12m section of WOXI that's original albeit with some new holes in it & some old ones plugged up.

And then they raced again and one made it and the other didn't. I think we all know the old saying, "To finish first, first you must finish."

Big whoop, That's just like Usain bolt tearing his hamstring, after beating Gatlin the year prior, and then you jump up an declare Gatlin the fastest..

Oats has beaten the C over an entire race coarse, the C has not ...... and is yet to prove more than a 1 trick reaching :rolleyes: pony

You just completely missed the point didn't you?

If you think one race is possibly indicative of the actual relative value of either boat, whatever that value may be, then that says a lot more about your critical reasoning skills than it does either boat. Argument's like this are tautological nonsense.

What is with Wild Oats fans? It's not enough that everyone agree that it's a really great program that's had some spectacular success, if it's not recognized by every single sailor as the without a doubt greatest program ever, bar none, praise Oatley, it's some sort of grave personal insult.

And then they raced again and one made it and the other didn't. I think we all know the old saying, "To finish first, first you must finish."

Big whoop, That's just like Usain bolt tearing his hamstring, after beating Gatlin the year prior, and then you jump up an declare Gatlin the fastest..

Oats has beaten the C over an entire race coarse, the C has not ...... and is yet to prove more than a 1 trick reaching :rolleyes: pony

please remind me how far oats was behind when they retired ? from the start , to retiring ... they were getting smashed, and probably would have lost to R88 .

the previous year was C's first outing. not bad for its first race. any way you flip it , the series is tied.

Still waiting for that 30% increase in boat speed from the DSS from the one trick S2H pony.

Is it seeing the chainsaw this year?

Could you take the Oats/Injun shit fight to the Wild Oats thread please and leave this thread to the S2H.

After all the Injun isn't going to Hobart this year.

Oh F##ck sake how about some positive information instead of the Oats/comanche bull

some off us plan all year for this race as our pinnacle of our racing year.

I wish Oats was retired like comanche their is more to a race than two 2 boats or multis

we are just normal working class middle aged blokes out to get away for xmas

Still waiting for that 30% increase in boat speed from the DSS from the one trick S2H pony.

Is it seeing the chainsaw this year?

They did just beat their own race record, by 30% , what more do u want....

Oh F##ck sake how about some positive information instead of the Oats/comanche bull

I wish Oats was retired like comanche their is more to a race than two 2 boats or multis

Did someone mention multis....? are they in...? and a double handed div...? FUCK YEAH...... Maserati to win 2016......

Did someone mention multis....? are they in...? and a double handed div...? FUCK YEAH...... Maserati to win 2016......

What's the forecast?

Big shoes to fill!

Big shoes to fill!

Multi's, Double Handed, Single handed, and windsurfing, sportboats and kitesurfers are all allowed in I hear :)

Dr Pil Black Jack might have something to say about that....then again a distant wet dream for any VO70... modified or not if WOXI and any other half decent 88/100 footer shows up.

i think his talking about the new Maserati MOD 70

We met one of those....it felt like hitting a rock, and the sunfish probably died - the rudder cut it pretty bad. If our speed had been higher (we did 12-13 knots), the rudder probably wouldn't have survived either. So yeah, totally a cause of retirement I reckon...

Dr Pil Black Jack might have something to say about that....then again a distant wet dream for any VO70... modified or not if WOXI and any other half decent 88/100 footer shows up.

i think his talking about the new Maserati MOD 70

Actually I was referring to VO70.....

We met one of those....it felt like hitting a rock, and the sunfish probably died - the rudder cut it pretty bad. If our speed had been higher (we did 12-13 knots), the rudder probably wouldn't have survived either. So yeah, totally a cause of retirement I reckon...

Not dissimilar to running full pelt into a billiard table... I reckon.

Mex

Mex

So how the fuck did Wharro get all those billiard tables to float?

Mex

Same way he got his businesses to float i guess

Mex

Same way he got his businesses to float i guess

:wacko::rolleyes:

The fast 50s are where the action is at again this year:

Ark323 China TP52

Balance NSW Farr Tp 52

Celestial NSW TP 52

Ichi Ban NSW JV52

Koa NSW Tp52

M3 WA TP52

Pretty Fly III NSW Cookson 50

Primitive Cool VIC RP51

Terra Firma VIC Cookson 50

Victoire WA Cookson 50

Ark323 to be fixed?

Rumour has it Cougar was being purchased as a repairable write-off?

Rags 52 was planning on Hobart, still in the mix?

Ark323 China TP52

Balance NSW Farr Tp 52

Celestial NSW TP 52

Ichi Ban NSW JV52

Koa NSW Tp52

M3 WA TP52

Primitive Cool VIC RP51

Victoire WA Cookson 50

But people are only interested in line honours, everybody knows that.

Ark323 China TP52

Balance NSW Farr Tp 52

Celestial NSW TP 52

Ichi Ban NSW JV52

Koa NSW Tp52

M3 WA TP52

Primitive Cool VIC RP51

Victoire WA Cookson 50

But people are only interested in line honours, everybody knows that.

I'm not "people".

Mex

packed up ready

13882675_1166097440108588_88552421702588

Yay! Not long now!

Cheers

Mex

Yep just chartered, now with the charterees for BWPS through to Hobart.

I'm all booked in regards to logistics for this year's coverage - just have to put the plan into practice!

Isn't Victoire going to WA?

Sametime that General Lee is on the market, any connection?

Victorie is being chartered, and Glee is owned by a different bloke. Same yacht club though.