• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2016

Anything new in the 40' to low 50' range this year?

The Kerr 56 Varuna is relatively new and one to watch out for. Concubine Mills 45 relatively new also.

Last year Matt entered both of his boats and waited until close to the start to decide (based on the weather) which to take.

More of a turbocharge?!

About 3 extra feet on the rig of a turbo charge... In addition to the deeper keel.

They will need it ..... nudge nudge wink wink.... no what I mean

Whats the weather forecast and how far behind are the short handed multis starting......????

Scan I think Maserati have already got Michael Coxon on board.

How did that go in the Southport race for them..

Ok I'm a 'little' early but ..... where's WILD THING? Still in a shed in Europe?

JS: I bet you WOXI beats Comanche - double or nothin'

More of a turbocharge?!

About 3 extra feet on the rig of a turbo charge... In addition to the deeper keel.

They will need it ..... nudge nudge wink wink.... no what I mean

Whats the weather forecast and how far behind are the short handed multis starting......????

The media will forecast record breaking conditions about a week out, this'll gradually evolve into a moderate to fresh NE start swinging south within within 24h... hope I'm wrong, I think we'd all like to see conditions like 1999 race.

It has been so wet and with the floods the penguins have had to move to higher ground.

Research officers will be in the field later this week.

RYCT is printing up Redress forms for having to sail around the salmon pens.

On the serious side the water temp on the east coast is all over the place.

Scan I think Maserati have already got Michael Coxon on board.

And others with over 3 Volvo's..... but still a big learning curve.... under no illusions here

As long as it is the second half of 1999.

The Pittwater Southport race will have a lot of 100 footers as late entries.

Entries now closed with an even 100 competitors. No excuse now for holding back on that all important weather forecast.

So Guys.....

WTF is this yacht that just popped it's entry in with no name !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simonis Voogd / Bakewell-White Supermaxi

Wild thing? The Beam and Depth don't seem to match Wildthing , Yuuzoo or Lahana!

:)

So Guys.....

WTF is this yacht that just popped it's entry in with no name !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wild thing? The Beam and Depth don't seem to match Wildthing , Yuuzoo or Lahana!

Read a post from Hugh Welbourne elsewhere that there will be a new 100 foot DSS equipped Maxi in the S2H, guess that's it...perhaps the old Yuuzoo re-invented?

So Guys.....

Read a post from Hugh Welbourne elsewhere that there will be a new 100 foot DSS equipped Maxi in the S2H, guess that's it...perhaps the old Yuuzoo re-invented?

That is all pretty much correct.

So Guys.....

Expectations low...

So Guys.....

Expectations low...

I predict the following:

You zoo pitched by the media to be the next wild oats killer.

Intense coverage of a match race on Boxing Day.

First blow comes through offshore and the new boat breaks a simple piece of equipment. Limps home

Wild oats celebrates overcoming their challengers

Media creams themselves for the Goliath beats David story.

I really think they need to begin staggered starting similar to the big OS races. Start the smaller categories a day earlier with the faster classes on the 27th.. Open class last of course...

I really think they need to begin staggered starting similar to the big OS races. Start the smaller categories a day earlier with the faster classes on the 27th.. Open class last of course...

So when would the new multi class start? Maybe just before the double-handed class...

It's been a while since Ludde has entered the race. I've met him on a number of occasions and seems like a good bloke and competent sailor.

Tokolosh. Interesting..... I wonder if Ludde has gone the whole hog, new sails rig keel and DSS or weather its a half assed extension effort.

Anyone got details on the Launch date?

If I were a betting man I'd be backing a minimal budget and string and chewing gum approach based on past form. The existing 90 foot hull was grafted onto the deck of an earlier 80 something footer from Simonis-Voogd IIRC, built on the cheap and very fast in a shed in Sydney. It got line honours in a Hobart race when Wild Thing and Zana cracked up and then had a couple of rig failures in benign conditions and generally wasn't a huge performer. It left Australia yeas ago chasing sponsorship dollars and sat around in Asia for quite a while essentially mothballed. That said it was a nice looking hull and with a bit of thinking and budget possibly could be credible.

It is a fuckin handicap race so how does that work....more to the point which big offshore OS races do that stagged start shit you are suggesting????

It is a fuckin handicap race so how does that work....more to the point which big offshore OS races do that stagged start shit you are suggesting????

Transpac?

It kinda takes away from the show at the start. Beyond that, it's not even that long of a course. they do that for Transpac because its thousands of miles long, while the Hobart at 628 miles is 7 shorter than the Bermuda Race.

Is this a thing people are actually calling for?

Transpac?

Fastnet does it over a couple of hours - that would also work well, and provide more of a day out for spectators.

I'd be up for giving the boats a bit more breathing room ala Fastnet style, I hate seeing boats get knocked out of the race before leaving the heads.

It would create little battles for bragging rights on who could be first outside amongst their fleet. I liked watching the oldies during the 50th race. It creates the opportunity to get multi's & double handers involved too. I'm sure Mr Langman & Mr Hull would like the harbour to themselves as well, I'd watch that sideshow while I'm chowing down on Christmas leftovers. It would also give us the chance to see the rest of the fleet that we never see on tv anyway.

And on the TV rant, who else remebers when the broadcast used to be interesting? I can remember watching it in the 80's as a kid and they went shopping with one of the maxi crews to see how much food they'd take on board, then they'd interview some hungover guy eating his bacon and eggs on race morning predicting when he'd throw them back up, they'd actually go onboard the smaller yachts to give the viewers an idea of living conditions, or show how many slabs of beer boats were loading on race morning, or actually asking how many sails they were carrying, how many crew were on board, who did what on board, what their weather prediction was, where the boat came from, who their main rivals were, a camera would be walking the dock filming the CYCA circus so you'd actually have an idea of the shitfight on race day, then on the water they would interview skippers across the water from the press boat, show some spectator fleet titties and actually follow boats from the water so you would have an idea on how fast they were going.

One of my favourite Boxing Day activities is sitting down with a beer with my old man, we've both done Hobart's in different era's and its cool to reminisce about our glory days while watching the TV, but for the last couple of years when the TV has finished we've both turned to each other and said "well that was fucking shithouse". I don't want a Rolex, or an Audi or a holiday at Hamo or watching the same bunch of red jackets I see every year, I want to see some real fucking race boats with people who have real day jobs and have spent the whole fucking year working up to this one event.

Cue 2016 broadcast rant...

I'd be up for giving the boats a bit more breathing room ala Fastnet style, I hate seeing boats get knocked out of the race before leaving the heads.

It would create little battles for bragging rights on who could be first outside amongst their fleet. I liked watching the oldies during the 50th race. It creates the opportunity to get multi's & double handers involved too. I'm sure Mr Langman & Mr Hull would like the harbour to themselves as well, I'd watch that sideshow while I'm chowing down on Christmas leftovers. It would also give us the chance to see the rest of the fleet that we never see on tv anyway.

And on the TV rant, who else remebers when the broadcast used to be interesting? I can remember watching it in the 80's as a kid and they went shopping with one of the maxi crews to see how much food they'd take on board, then they'd interview some hungover guy eating his bacon and eggs on race morning predicting when he'd throw them back up, they'd actually go onboard the smaller yachts to give the viewers an idea of living conditions, or show how many slabs of beer boats were loading on race morning, or actually asking how many sails they were carrying, how many crew were on board, who did what on board, what their weather prediction was, where the boat came from, who their main rivals were, a camera would be walking the dock filming the CYCA circus so you'd actually have an idea of the shitfight on race day, then on the water they would interview skippers across the water from the press boat, show some spectator fleet titties and actually follow boats from the water so you would have an idea on how fast they were going.

One of my favourite Boxing Day activities is sitting down with a beer with my old man, we've both done Hobart's in different era's and its cool to reminisce about our glory days while watching the TV, but for the last couple of years when the TV has finished we've both turned to each other and said "well that was fucking shithouse". I don't want a Rolex, or an Audi or a holiday at Hamo or watching the same bunch of red jackets I see every year, I want to see some real fucking race boats with people who have real day jobs and have spent the whole fucking year working up to this one event.

+1

Amen

Because the public get what they want. Shots of the harbour, pretty boats & pretty sails, how tough the race is, a few stories, a few old hats & the favourites. They fit a lot into the coverage IMO & you get it all for free.

+1

If they have any sense (not shown any so far) they woudl get Nic Douglas to do all the interviews you mentioned above.

PMSL

#narcissist

If they have any sense (not shown any so far) they woudl get Nic Douglas to do all the interviews you mentioned above.

she already does... why have the 'real media' fuck it up?

PMSL

#narcissist

Thanks guys. I think every media outlet does what they can with the budget and audience that they have.

I will be doing my before and after live coverage aimed at the niche racing sailor audience, as well as whatever I can manage during the race, using all of my "narcissistic" energy to promote the sport that we all love off my own back with my parental production crew in Sydney and then solo in Hobart :)

Just remember that the ones who are out their risking their necks in sailing media (the owners of this site included) are doing it to try and help bring you closer to the action, and just doing the best that they can - regardless of your negative criticism :)

Much love, Sailor Girl x

If they have any sense (not shown any so far) they woudl get Nic Douglas to do Allen the interviews you mentioned above.

PMSL

#narcissist

Thanks guys. I think every media outlet does what they can with the budget and audience that they have.

I will be doing my before and after live coverage aimed at the niche racing sailor audience, as well as whatever I can manage during the race, using all of my "narcissistic" energy to promote the sport that we all love off my own back with my parental production crew in Sydney and then solo in Hobart :)

Just remember that the ones who are out their risking their necks in sailing media (the owners of this site included) are doing it to try and help bring you closer to the action, and just doing the best that they can - regardless of your negative criticism :)

Much love, Sailor Girl x

I'll be following the reports and interviews :)

PMSL

#narcissist

Much love, Sailor Girl x

Keep it up Girl...you do great stuff....why aren't you in Les Sables???

PMSL

#narcissist

Much love, Sailor Girl x

water off a duck's back -- keep it up.

It creates the opportunity to get multi's & double handers involved too.

no point starting them when its a race for crewed monos

PMSL

#narcissist

Much love, Sailor Girl x

You're the best thing in sailing media right now. Love your stuff. Keep it up!

I don't know about the canting deck, but it's a total birthday for the boat and it has some radical changes.

What are the details and or specs?

I don't know about the canting deck, but it's a total birthday for the boat and it has some radical changes.

What are the details and or specs?

It's changed and it's radical.

And it's half-arsed based on past form

Not constrained by rules governing the number of foils, so unlikely to be IMOCA style.... Ask Doug? Sorry, I'll grab the soap and wash my mouth.

What big boys are playing this year? From the little I've read on this addition so far there is WOXI, Loyal and a re-branded Rag100. Is that it?

WetHog :ph34r:

Not constrained by rules governing the number of foils, so unlikely to be IMOCA style.... Ask Doug? Sorry, I'll grab the soap and wash my mouth.

........it'd be nice to have just one thread without the UpfacK stuff :mellow:

Agreed. Typography has its place, but red/caps are soooo AC34.

Agreed. Typography has its place, but red/caps are soooo AC34.

Yeah, sorry, an alcohol induced lack of judgement on my part. It is nice to have an unknown factor at this point.

anybody know why comanche isn't coming out to play?

Time to get to Australia, money and perhaps some personal reasons. Last I heard time to get the boat to Australia and back was a major factor. Been there done that, beat Wild Oats, on to the next.

Time to get to Australia, money and perhaps some personal reasons. Last I heard time to get the boat to Australia and back was a major factor. Been there done that, beat Wild Oats, on to the next.

fair enough, a US east coast based boat of that size AUS is a long way to go for one regatta

How to put this discreetly.....? Jim Clark was really pissed that Ken Read creampied his wife and took their play toy away.

There we go, that was nice and subtle.

How to put this discreetly.....? Jim Clark was really pissed that Ken Read creampied his wife and took their play toy away.

so boot kenny and tell the wife she isn't getting on the boat. problem solved. it's not like the boat can't sail with them aboard. hell he wasn't aboard when the boat broke the transatlantic record.

Nicely done. You've restored my faith in SA.

Jim Clark was not the one interested in the boat in the first place, it was always his wife's project.

so boot kenny and tell the wife she isn't getting on the boat. problem solved. it's not like the boat can't sail with them aboard. hell he wasn't aboard when the boat broke the transatlantic record.

Does anyone know where this Frankenboat is so someone could snap a few pics ?

New Zealand

It was supposed to show up for the coastal, but I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it. I know which yard its at, and even did a drive by, but couldn't see anything.

Is it the old Nokia?

Nokia/Nicorette/Audi/Yuuzoo/Tokoloshe - parts of it

it was also AAPT for one S2H
Quite right, forgot that iteration. Fundamentally continually and chronically underfunded and limping from sponsor to sponsor IIRC.

Is it the old Nokia?

Nokia/Nicorette/Audi/Yuuzoo/Tokoloshe - parts of it

it was also AAPT for one S2H
Quite right, forgot that iteration. Fundamentally continually and chronically underfunded and limping from sponsor to sponsor IIRC.

AAPT was the 90'er with Langman minus Ludde & the moved rudder iteration of the boat, all others had Ludde involved, with the rudder in it's original place.

It creates the opportunity to get multi's & double handers involved too.

no point starting them when its a race for crewed monos

Oh, boy. Been waiting for this to ramp up again.

Only thing thats gonna make this years race the slightest bit interesting is record breaking conditions.

They will be on the cards right up until the gun goes - according to Mundle!