• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
DtM

2015 Sydney to Hobart

Wildoats closer to the coast and Rambler looks furthest out to sea, Comanche probably about 750m ahead

huhh?...tracker shows Oats furthest east

...seem to have lost sailorgirl.

its kind of what is expected though, loyal may have some big names aboard but they are not big sailing names (aside from a few) and the often hve had bad prep for the race.

Wildoats closer to the coast and Rambler looks furthest out to sea, Comanche probably about 750m ahead

Nah thats 2012 record tracking

Despite what was said on the Sydney-Hobart website the policy of preventing those in the US from seeing the start apparently continues. Neither "Yahoo" or the SH website has any live video and the start is in 20 minutes.

Nic Douglas-Sailergirl-is live on audio but with very low volume. Her previous show with live video was just excellent...

Welcome again to the narrow, restricted and screwy digital age.

Problem is we've been led up the garden path by Clean's bullshit. Too bad he didn't do some work with race management or Channel 7 to pick up a lifestream he could show here as promised.

Start time has arrived and nothing on youtube, sailing anarchy or yahoo7. All apparently blocked to limit overloading or regional limits or whatever. No VPN setup here I fear.

Fuck em all I say, and the horses they rode in on. It's a glorious summer afternoon here in Auckland. I'm headed out on the water. Would have hours ago but not for the first time made the fatal error of believing Clean's bullshit that he has the answers for us.

Whatever drama, and there is bound to be some, I'll catch later on replay.

And, finally, on the Front Page, from the Not-On-My-Watch-Department ......."For yet another year, the useless media bosses at Yahoo!7 and Rolex have once again missed the boat completely. Despite their braggadocio about an ’80 person production team’ and the ‘world’s greatest ocean race’ these wonderpeople have still not figured out how to get their feed to several hundred thousand fans around the world – despite the fact that they first streamed this start on the web in 2009. Live, worldwide, and free. So rather than charging a few bucks for a few hours of Boxing Day fun, non-Aussies are relegated to dodgy workarounds to take what is already free to Australians."

The literal translation of this is ...... "Oh, Fuck, I'm guilty again of believing my own bullshit. It never occurred to me that my best buddy mates at the CYCA would screw the pooch yet again. Why oh why didn't I spend the last 12 months working with them on a restricted viewing option for my loyal Scuttlebutt members!"

Hey thanks to you dudes with local or VPN access who are keeping us in the picture.
Speaking of pictures I'm not seeing any copyright pix from Rolex/Carlo Borlenghi or Rolex/Daniel Forster. Where are our heroes? All we're getting on the official site are mobile phone grabs from the launch driver's girlfriend. Is the Rolex largess dwindling? CYCA management better shape up.

Comanche off and smoking, running an inner headsail as well, WOXI main and code 0 only. WOXI heading a little closer to the coast, Rambler heading wide atm.

Loyal has had to drop their code 0 as it wouldn't unfurl, and they have set a different sail. Current placings for the big boats, Comanche, Rambler, WOXI, Rags and Loyal, looking like WOXI may move past Rambler, but hard to tell from the TV shots.

No doubt WOXI is a lot more tender then Comanche, hence their reefed main at the start.

Nah thats 2012 record tracking

ahhh,gotcha...orange boat is past record. oopsy :rolleyes:

Despite what was said on the Sydney-Hobart website the policy of preventing those in the US from seeing the start apparently continues. Neither "Yahoo" or the SH website has any live video and the start is in 20 minutes.

Nic Douglas-Sailergirl-is live on audio but with very low volume. Her previous show with live video was just excellent...

Welcome again to the narrow, restricted and screwy digital age.

Problem is we've been led up the garden path by Clean's bullshit. Too bad he didn't do some work with race management or Channel 7 to pick up a lifestream he could show here as promised.

Start time has arrived and nothing on youtube, sailing anarchy or yahoo7. All apparently blocked to limit overloading or regional limits or whatever. No VPN setup here I fear.

Fuck em all I say, and the horses they rode in on. It's a glorious summer afternoon here in Auckland. I'm headed out on the water. Would have hours ago but not for the first time made the fatal error of believing Clean's bullshit that he has the answers for us.

Whatever drama, and there is bound to be some, I'll catch later on replay.

And, finally, on the Front Page, from the Not-On-My-Watch-Department ......."For yet another year, the useless media bosses at Yahoo!7 and Rolex have once again missed the boat completely. Despite their braggadocio about an ’80 person production team’ and the ‘world’s greatest ocean race’ these wonderpeople have still not figured out how to get their feed to several hundred thousand fans around the world – despite the fact that they first streamed this start on the web in 2009. Live, worldwide, and free. So rather than charging a few bucks for a few hours of Boxing Day fun, non-Aussies are relegated to dodgy workarounds to take what is already free to Australians."

The literal translation of this is ...... "Oh, Fuck, I'm guilty again of believing my own bullshit. It never occurred to me that my best buddy mates at the CYCA would screw the pooch yet again. Why oh why didn't I spend the last 12 months working with them on a restricted viewing option for my loyal Scuttlebutt members!"

Hey thanks to you dudes with local or VPN access who are keeping us in the picture.
Speaking of pictures I'm not seeing any copyright pix from Rolex/Carlo Borlenghi or Rolex/Daniel Forster. Where are our heroes? All we're getting on the official site are mobile phone grabs from the launch driver's girlfriend. Is the Rolex largess dwindling? CYCA management better shape up.

I have VPN enabled and my ipaddress is showing as Sydney. Still getting this:

gallery_6160_1047_457339.png

There is a ghost tracker for Wild Oats 2012 Race. Wild Oats is next to Rags. Rambler an easy second. Comanche seems to have missed the last update.

rambler is really going off shore here. any reason for this?

Probably the boat's fastest sailing angle

to get into the current earlier aswell maybe

....and now a big WTF on the tracker.....it's showing Comanche in 4th,, Rambler at the front! :lol:

The tracker update cycle is perplexing. I wish they would show the time of the reported data.

TV coverage caught a frank discussion between the brains trust and helmsman on WOXI pre-start about the reef&ahead sail combination- J2 & full main was the brain trusts call - a not convinced - "I'm hearing you" was richo's response.....brains trust was right!!

VPN Unlimited working from TN, just signed up for the free trial. Fucked around with 4x others and missed the first 30 mins but working now for those who still want to try.

I tried!!! So hard to see in the spray and in the lump! Guessing I lost the stream just as we turned back - was so rough and I almost fell overboard :) Called the boats on the way back in and believe you got my wrap - will have the get the podcast up ASAP :) hope I helped somewhat! Not perfect I know!!

All this tooting their own horns about 80x production guys and whatever but can't afford a $500 gyro rental for the cameras on boats. It's like watching a cell phone video where they keep dropping the phone.

Loyal had completely fucked up their downwind sails, the second sail failed to unfurl as well! Someone is for the chop big time, how hard is it to preroll the sails properly before the start? They are still stuffing about trying to set something, anything...

WTF

Tracker has Commanche 3d, WO in front.

Not the 2012 WO

I'm amazed you can even see that. The tracker is all but unuseable on an iPhone.

...looks like a transmitter issue on Comanche,,,,the rest of the fleet moves on. Stealth mode already :mellow:

.....4 boats limping home ...Ark323,,,Lupa of London,,,M3,,,CougarII

Which TP? I haven't seen Ichi Ban. Did they bring the 60?

Ichi Ban went for the Carkeek 60

An earlier post was that a Chinese boat one of them, Ark323 is a TP52 (the other is a Sun Odyssey 42i)

Loyal had completely fucked up their downwind sails, the second sail failed to unfurl as well! Someone is for the chop big time, how hard is it to preroll the sails properly before the start? They are still stuffing about trying to set something, anything...

post-3217-0-34350800-1451098589_thumb.jpgpost-3217-0-34350800-1451098589_thumb.jpg

In heavy air keeping the head cooperating and not fucking itself CAN be a challenge in the furl isn't super tight. Did they at least dive before trying to unfurl?

I tried!!! So hard to see in the spray and in the lump! Guessing I lost the stream just as we turned back - was so rough and I almost fell overboard :) Called the boats on the way back in and believe you got my wrap - will have the get the podcast up ASAP :) hope I helped somewhat! Not perfect I know!!

Awesome work, thanks very much!

shame for Cougar an outside chance for handicap, Rambler holding its own very well and Oats disappointing really but still long way to go and see what happens in Bass Straight

You did great!

no apologies necessary, with the exception of your fellow countrymen media wonks. That was a shit show.

Your energy was great. I would pay big $$ to watch an AC quality vid feed with your commentary for the start and head out...

Keep it up...

Sailorgirl218, you rocked it!!! Great play-by-play, it was all we had!!

....hey,,you gave the world pretty much the only coverage going,,,and so many 'wowwwws' as the biguns went by :lol:

.........where are the snaps you took?

Maybe Richo is losing his touch. He was totally suckered by Read into a two boat match race on the wrong side of the course. Both Loyal and Rags gained heaps on both of them. Read doesn't care about the first mark rounding because he knows he has the fastest boat in the fleet between marks 1 and 2. That is exactly how it worked out and Comanche pulled out plenty through to mark 2.

Just before the telecast ended Loyal was shown starting unfurl attempt #3. Not good.

...ohh,fukkit,,,,tracker's useless,,,showing Comanche back in front, but '3nm to leader' :mellow:<_<

Looks like R88 is reeling C in, although more offshore course. WO as fast as Rags.

Oats certainly doesn't look as fast as expected. Rags hanging in with Oats and Oats has DSS too. Rambler very fast but Comanche faster. Will be interesting when the standings are up, suspect Comanche at least a mile ahead if not more? Loyal true to form lets hope they can get their act together when the front hits they may gain on Oats and Rags? Interesting race so far, the start was amazing, Oats didn't look crash hot except for the start but after that Comanche looked good upwind too. I suspect Rambler with DSS deployed is enjoying these conditions.

@SG - where can I find the replay of your coverage from the water?

MS

Black Jack seems to be keeping pace with the 100 footers now.

.....Loyal looking to be in 7th,,just ahead of peletton :mellow:

1. M3 has broken forestay & is assessing damage. The yacht has NOT yet retired #RSHYR

0 retweets0 likes
    Retweet
    More
  2. 3 yachts retired: Ark323; Cougar II; Lupa of London. All returning to CYCA #RSHYR

Oats certainly doesn't look as fast as expected. Rags hanging in with Oats and Oats has DSS too. Rambler very fast but Comanche faster. Will be interesting when the standings are up, suspect Comanche at least a mile ahead if not more? Loyal true to form lets hope they can get their act together when the front hits they may gain on Oats and Rags? Interesting race so far, the start was amazing, Oats didn't look crash hot except for the start but after that Comanche looked good upwind too. I suspect Rambler with DSS deployed is enjoying these conditions.

does rambler have its dss fitted for this race?

Now that it's over I can say (without worrying that 7 will see this and shut it down) that "unlimited VPN" was the bees knees and worked perfectly here on the East Coast of the US. We don't get to see live sailing here EVER so the commercial-fueled nonsense was brilliant from our perspective. Glad to see the Newport team kicking ass and showing the dye-jobs on WOXI what's what. Hopefully they make the transition well and keep the hammer down and cover WOXI all the way up to the Derwent. Next 48 hours should be fun watching, even if we only get the shitty tracker

Maybe Richo is losing his touch. He was totally suckered by Read into a two boat match race on the wrong side of the course. Both Loyal and Rags gained heaps on both of them. Read doesn't care about the first mark rounding because he knows he has the fastest boat in the fleet between marks 1 and 2. That is exactly how it worked out and Comanche pulled out plenty through to mark 2.

Just before the telecast ended Loyal was shown starting unfurl attempt #3. Not good.

Richo cracked.

Tacking 100 footers is slow. Loyal got a great start.

Looks like Loyal finally got a big headsail flying. 22 knots.

For what it is worth here are the winds down the course atm:

Montague Island (2/3 down the NSW coast) N at 21kts.

Green Cape (the start of the eastern end of Bass Straight) S at 14kts.

Kingfisher Oil platform (in Bass Straight) SW at 16kts.

So there may not be the really strong winds that some expected, time will tell.

@SG - where can I find the replay of your coverage from the water?

MS

Currently at : LINK (3k plays as of now)

Later probably on SailorGirls mixcloud account

Looks like Ichi Ban rounded after Chinese Whisper and then got sound them on the run/reach.

All boats will be getting rained on in about 15 mins. The buildup of the north easter will stop and the breeze might even die totally. A southerly entering an area of cool air and rain tends to be weaker than one approaching heat.

The chances of 30+ knots from the south have just reduced.

All of the weather stations directly south of Sydney are reporting reduced wind averaging around 10 knots.

...21 days of prep for Oats == caught with pants down.. :mellow:

The US supermaxi Comanche has stolen the spotlight in this year’s Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race, leaping ahead of Wild Oats XI and Perpetual Loyal as they led the fleet down the NSW coast in a brisk, following north-easterly.

Already there has been one retirement, Ark323, one of the two Chinese entries. It was involved in a collision in the harbour and returned to the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia marina. All aboard were safe.

As were the dignitaries aboard the start boat Aussie Legend, which began taking on water just before the start. People were transferred to another vessel, Majestic, at the Taronga Park wharf. It made it back to the start line to sound the start of the race with a horn rather than the traditional cannon.

The start was, as expected, spectacular. Wild Oats XI, the eight-time line honours winner, appeared to have the fleet covered after starting on the pin end of the line, but she was hauled in, first by Perpetual Loyal, which led at the first turning mark, and then by Comanche, which is storming down the coast at more than 20 knots.

Comanche-could-cause-an-upset-CREDIT-ROL

...21 days of prep for Oats == caught with pants down.. :mellow:

Maybe you missed there's about another 600 miles to go?

Blackjack doing well to hang in there. Balance leading the TP52 fleet and just behind Victoire, which is a good effort. Expect Victoire to step out from the 50ft fleet once the front comes though.

Wow, I removed our tv antenna years ago so that is about my yearly advert quotient filled.

What abysmal coverage, as said above, no gyro cameras or even it appeared image stabilising, at the crucial moment at the first mark they switched to a view of some spectators at the heads. :(

Describing one of the last boats as "Staggering out the heads" was a bit unkind if somewhat funny.

Great start though, all 5 ~100' boats lining up for the first mark. Go Commanche ! Quick, before the wind goes to shite :unsure:

Oats will come right back into this when the southerly arrives and the fat boats start slamming into short, sharp chop. Rain has just arrived in sydney downtown.

All the leaders slowing down now.

Why isn't coverage of this being streamed in SA + on Ft Page And .......

Black Jack seems to be keeping pace with the 100 footers now.

They looked in perfect trim after exiting the harbour. BJ and R88 look very quick.

BJ looked full on in the 3 seconds of coverage they got. No doubt they're at least keeping pace with the big boys in these conditions...for as long as they last.