Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DtM

2015 Sydney to Hobart

Probably in a big hole Scanas. You'd think after years of interviews and vids being told to go wide, would be a hint to some of the navigators.

Even if Rambler can dig herself out her current hole, breeze is supposed to move to the west in Storm Bay shortly..therefore putting her on her slow/damaged port tack...Rags goes a bit wider around the corner...hey presto it could be all over for the #2 chair.

You have to hand it to Nic Douglas!

Bravo Sailor Girl!

+1000
+2000

Thanks so much all - was amazing to share the adventure with you all :) what an amazing way to experience the finish!

From the beginning of the race to the end I didn't even bother going to the official site, the YB tracker or anywhere else as everyone on this site came up trumps once again and kept us updated and entertained.

I couldn't connect to SailorGirl's periscope link but, again, everyone continued the commentary right here.

Thanks to everyone for making it the place to watch from and now I hope it doesn't fizzle out as I reckon the handicap win is going to be a boozer until the end too. Had mates on Lupa, Cougar and Holly Bolly and all those cunts crashed out so just rooting for the best team now!

Between Rolex, Audi, CYCA and anyone else there are some serious questions that need to be asked about the coverage of this race- for families watching on the tracker through to the rest of the world watching one of the best races in the world.

Anyone got a forecast for next year's weather yet?!

You have to hand it to Nic Douglas!

Bravo Sailor Girl!

+1000
+2000

Thanks so much all - was amazing to share the adventure with you all :) what an amazing way to experience the finish!

From the beginning of the race to the end I didn't even bother going to the official site, the YB tracker or anywhere else as everyone on this site came up trumps once again and kept us updated and entertained.

I couldn't connect to SailorGirl's periscope link but, again, everyone continued the commentary right here.

Thanks to everyone for making it the place to watch from and now I hope it doesn't fizzle out as I reckon the handicap win is going to be a boozer until the end too. Had mates on Lupa, Cougar and Holly Bolly and all those cunts crashed out so just rooting for the best team now!

Between Rolex, Audi, CYCA and anyone else there are some serious questions that need to be asked about the coverage of this race- for families watching on the tracker through to the rest of the world watching one of the best races in the world.

Anyone got a forecast for next year's weather yet?!

Completely agreed. Thank you to those down under or with better links for the play by play. Please continue for the handicap. Many lessons for Rolex and others spending money as sponsors, but somehow I doubt the guys who sign the checks are 'classy' enough to be members of this list.

IRC positions differ from tracker to standings page; which to believe? Also, was wondering if the tracker calculates "as the crow flies", or does it take the turn into consideration?

Rambler 4.8kn and Rags 6kn pointing 170deg, putting a dig SE although past Tasman Is. Must know not to go too close!

Rambler 4.8kn and Rags 6kn pointing 170deg, putting a dig SE although past Tasman Is. Must know not to go too close!

It does look like Rags will pass Rambler. This is the biggest cautionary tale of the race so far.

Comanche--Fastest monohull on the planet, and they just proved it. Even in the light stuff!

Congrats to Ken Read and the entire crew on a well deserved win!

I dunno about that big guy.... where is the proof !

Go Rags !

I wonder what happened on their boat when the shit hit the fan also ! looked like it was at the same time Oats shredded the main maybe ?

Full story on Comanche's damage (from interview with Ken on ABC):

1. board broke near hull

2. Board was hanging on with line but banging around and endangering the hull

3. Cut board free but it took out the rudder on the way out.

4. Steering system was busted and rudder was facing backwards

5. Tools came out to repair steering system

6. After consulting with watch captains they decided it was safe to continue.

Bravo!

Whowhie, lots of work.

Sailor Girl posted this a while ago. Nic interviews Phil "Wendy" Harmer at 10:14, then Jimmy Spithill joins in. Ken's one on one interview at 14:53.

1. board broke near hull

Bravo!

Whowhie, lots of work.

So they retired, took the sails down and did all this work drifting in 40kts of wind, fixed it, pulled the sail back up un-retired and carried on and never turned the engine on? Im a cyncial old crank but something here smells fishy.

Some great HD Footage of the Maxis heading south

They sure cut away from that shot of Rags pacing Oats rather quickly. I would love to see more footage of the two of them side by side just sending it!

1. board broke near hull

Bravo!

Whowhie, lots of work.

So they retired, took the sails down and did all this work drifting in 40kts of wind, fixed it, pulled the sail back up un-retired and carried on and never turned the engine on? Im a cyncial old crank but something here smells fishy.

Don't be absurd. Its a canting keel boat with powered winches. Of course the engine was on. It never got turned off. Its not a multihull for gosh sake. :P

But really you should ask Ken and the crew if they are all cheaters. :wacko:

1. board broke near hull

Bravo!

Whowhie, lots of work.

Don't be absurd. Its a canting keel boat with powered winches. Of course the engine was on. It never got turned off. Its not a multihull for gosh sake. :P

Actually Comanche doesn't have powered winches. My dad had the same theory about them using the engine though...

1. board broke near hull

Bravo!

Whowhie, lots of work.

Actually Comanche doesn't have powered winches. My dad had the same theory about them using the engine though...

Say what? They don't swing both ways (NTTIAWWT)?

Seriously, just busting on the idiot. Don't take me too seriously. I own a multi but think the S2H is great just the way it is; powered canters and all.

Is there any live footage or feed of the finish?

Would you believe from a three man band?

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1lDxLYQylWwKm

One woman band ;)

Well f**kin done, the whole coverage has been the best so far. Especially the pre-race interviews.

Hope some companies dig into their media budget for other events.

1. board broke near hull

Bravo!

Whowhie, lots of work.

No offense, but you're a fucking idiot. Go fuck yourself if you think they cheated. I'm pretty sure they have to run the engine to cant the keel. I don't think that's done at the pedestals.

1. board broke near hull

Bravo!

Whowhie, lots of work.

i could be wrong, but don't they have the ability to turn powered winches on and off? I thought I read somewhere that during their record run in the Transatlantic they had switched to manual mode because that's what's required for the 24 hour distance record. Someone smarter than me will probably chime in with better information.

SailorGirl is doing a far better job, with fewer resources, than the mainstream media.

I would also like to thank SailorGirl. If it was not for you and your team , most of the world would have been kept in the dark.

cheers

I owe you more than one Beer...

One woman band ;)

Well f**kin done, the whole coverage has been the best so far. Especially the pre-race interviews.
Still, sailorgirl could benefit from having a proper sound guy and also someone who could take over, while she consumes some sweets :lol:

But, yes, well done! Thanks for the coverage!

One woman band ;)

Still, sailorgirl could benefit from having a proper sound guy and also someone who could take over, while she consumes some sweets :lol:

Cleans been needing all of that for years!!! And still no sign of improvement. Just sayin.

They have a powered pit winch because hoisting, furling and unfurling just isn't realistic on manual winches on an inshore course. The rest of the winches are all manual

Google Earth's been working swell...........hope Rags brain trust can get them past Rambler!

Something happen to Maserati while I was sleepin'/workin'?

Rambler has a rating of 1.826 and Ragamuffin has a rating of 1.929. Plus, Rambler has a stuck daggarboard that they can't raise. Rags should be able to get by, though I would prefer it if they didn't.

One woman band ;)

Cleans been needing all of that for years!!! And still no sign of improvement. Just sayin.

cute as

Comanche--Fastest monohull on the planet, and they just proved it. Even in the light stuff!

With the 24-hour record?

One woman band ;)

cute as

Cute as the picture of Jim on stage for the award?

Jim - What up with that anyway?

With LH clearly settled (hope I dont jinx 'em) and Ichiwhispermazmuffin charging up to the currently almost parked R88 I thought there may be time to share a thought I have on WOXI.

After watching the start footage again and the highly spun interview with MR at the dock I get the feeling that there may have been some tension in the afterguard pre start and possibly throughout their race.

First hint for me was with sail selection pre start. Murray, as tactician, suggests full main and J2 and is overuled by MR who decides 1st reef and J1.

To my untrained eye that was the wrong decision.

Why have a tactician if you are going to reject his advice?

Next clue was in the way the crew were spoken to in the harbour.

These guys are good, they do know what they are doing. Is it necessary to tell them exactly what to do? Sure different leaders have different approaches as to how they get the best out of their teams but that was almost embarassing.

Last hint for me was the highly spun and managed replies to the interview questions. Impression for me was that MR was blaming the crew, despite his not quite sincere protestations to the contrary.

I guess time will provide answers

I think they cut it too close on time, boat wasn't ready and they got caught out. Pro's overconfident that they could sort it out on the fly? Methinks so.

One woman band ;)

cute as

How's the editing going?

Go Rags !

I wonder what happened on their boat when the shit hit the fan also ! looked like it was at the same time Oats shredded the main maybe ?

In Hindsight

Oats only 8nm, and rags 9nm behind the C after 8 hours racing downwind, in conditions which should favor the "big C"

The probably both would of had a go, minus the gear failure

1. board broke near hull

Bravo!

Whowhie, lots of work.

No offense, but you're a fucking idiot. Go fuck yourself if you think they cheated. I'm pretty sure they have to run the engine to cant the keel. I don't think that's done at the pedestals.

I am certainly idiotic on many occasions, I'm not suggesting they did anything wrong, I was just musing over my coffee as a poster above's dad was. I think Ken is an amazing sailor in an incredible boat. I was just watching the video (brilliant coverage by SailorGirl) when he explains what they did after they got damage. He mentioned drifiting this way... waved his hand. Just made me think of how that would go down on a practical level.

Go Rags !

In Hindsight

Oats only 8nm, and rags 9nm behind the C after 8 hours racing downwind, in conditions which should favor the "big C"

You can just stop anytime. They all had gear failure. Some just did a better job of managing it.

How much time does Ram have to put on Rags to win?

None. Rags gives her time.

You are shitting me! I can't accept Ram is sailed that much better - Rags should protest Ramblers rating, eh?

How much time does Ram have to put on Rags to win?

None. Rags gives her time.

You are shitting me! I can't believe Ram is sailed that much better - Rags should protest Ramblers rating, eh?

Different design philosophy and different crew.

Rambler was/is pretty stacked with very experienced guys.

Go Rags !

In Hindsight

Delusional much?

I am as much a fan of Oats as I am of Comanche - and for all those folks giving MR shit, he sure did nail and own the start pin and first cross - but BS on your 8nm. Comanche was almost 30nm ahead of Oats when Oats pulled out. KR and team sent it.

Somebody post the pic of Jim scowling behind his wife at the awards before it gets pulled off the S2H Rolex site. My R2D2 skills suck.

In Hindsight

Let's not cherry pick our numbers. When WOXI withdrew she was essentially glued to Rags, and Comanche was 16nm ahead.

Oats start was great, but the risk/reward was not balanced. Imagine if another maxi was on their hip and they couldn't clear the fleet on port. I can envision a scenario where they would have had to gibe at the spectator fleet and then duck 40 sterns. Don't get it. With that said, MR should never wear a mike again ('where's the water now'). Total dickhead.

One woman band ;)

Best moment (of many!): to Jimmy, "I saw you up near the mast, were you lost?"

lmao. classic!

Oh, and I think I love you.... you absolutely sparkle.

wow,,good time to wake-up after watching big C finish,, Rambler and Rags still in the Derwent ...7 hours later! :mellow:

Indeed Sheb! With a combination of ingenuity & determination, Comanche and crew pulled it off. My hat's off to them!

......I'd have to say there was more than a bit of luck involved. :mellow:

...but one thing I learnt from all my years of campaigning,,

........the more prepared one is,,the more they're ready to receive that luck! :rolleyes:

......but one thing I learned through my years of campaigning,, the more prepared,

Oats start was great, but the risk/reward was not balanced. Imagine if another maxi was on their hip and they couldn't clear the fleet on port. I can envision a scenario where they would have had to gibe at the spectator fleet and then duck 40 sterns. Don't get it. With that said, MR should never wear a mike again ('where's the water now'). Total dickhead.

Suppose they could just call for clear water!

Teasing Machine looking more and more to have a grasp on overall...they're only a few miles behind Indian and Celestial, and holding pace with them.

The Wind Gods just want to make it interesting-- tacking duel out, tacking duel in! I can't imagine the mood on Rambler at 2kts as Ragamuffin just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Still some pot-holes to go, but GO RAGS!!!!!!! ;-)

The old guy deserves a good finish.

Think Rags rolled R88! :-)

...that's what I'm seeing......omGAWD. :mellow:

One woman band ;)

....SA should think of her in the role of Southern Hemisphere Correspondent,,, sounds like Cleans often 'too busy' anyways.

.....agree mostly,, certainly a ballsy start with lots of possibility for a total clusterfark,,,

...but have you ever heard of 'room at obstruction'? it'd be complicated and messy,,but there IS a rule :mellow:

...some great footage,,,at least for such a terrible dripfeed we're getting. :mellow:

Some great HD Footage of the Maxis heading south

Nah, they were parked on the other side as well, had to come across to defend. Wish we had some live footage of this duel. Brings back memories of the maxies fighting it out in the 80's.

Nah, they were parked on the other side as well, had to come across to defend. Wish we had some live footage of this duel. Brings back memories of the maxies fighting it out in the 80's.

they sailed about 1.5 - 1.75 miles further than Rags!

thats a fuck up!

it's what cost them the lead

Hope some companies dig into their media budget for other events.

Nic, you're more deserving of sponsor dollars than anyone else out there doing the same thing- keep it coming!

SailorGirl is doing a far better job, with fewer resources, than the mainstream media.

Thanks guys - is nothing without you watching. Happy I was able to share it with you all x Glad you enjoyed it .

Would love some minions - at the moment I write, edit and produce - hehehe wishful thinking!

Ideally I would be able to stream from a decent camera with mobile power, and sound, but not quite there yet (ahhh to have endless dollars).

Budget is the limiting factor for me and the media team here as well - I am just a die hard...

We will see what happens in the coming years :)

Nic, can you get out there with a camera and a live feed, please?!?

Hey got to the media centre at 0600. No boats going out - will do what I can from the dock :)

Nic, can you get out there with a camera and a live feed, please?!?

Hey got to the media centre at 0600. No boats going out - will do what I can from the dock :)

Think there is a black boat in the harbour that you could take. Bet there isn't anyone sleeping on it! Just go out and get some footage! ;-)

Sailor Girl! You are the best! Watching the finish a real treat!!

Does anyone know what we can do to support this effort?

Always happy for help - sponsors or as I like to call them "friends" are most welcome - and I always give my all! This is my 43rd event this year.

One woman band ;)

Best moment (of many!): to Jimmy, "I saw you up near the mast, were you lost?"

lmao. classic!

Oh, and I think I love you.... you absolutely sparkle.

Thanks gorgeous - massive compliment - but I am just lucky to be talking to some amazing adventurers in the sport we love :)

I would also like to thank SailorGirl. If it was not for you and your team , most of the world would have been kept in the dark.

cheers

I owe you more than one Beer...

I don't often drink beer - but anything else...?! Going to need a few in a few days (I did have a few sneakies with the Comanche guys last night!!) x

Heading out to the dock now x

Sailor girl Tas gov sports and rec offer grants and arts and screen Tas would also help if thats any use to follow to you're productions, get in touch with them after New Years....

I don't often drink beer - but anything else...?! Going to need a few in a few days (I did have a few sneakies with the Comanche guys last night!!) x

Heading out to the dock now x

.....and you didn't disappear for 24 hours,,,that there's some great qualifications!! :mellow::)