Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alesser

j/92 on the Bay

Wow, hard to believe there isn't someone willing to pay more than $1977 for it, we'll see where the bidding ends on Fri afternoon.

I do know several owners of old sailboats who may have to give their old boats away to get rid of them some day...and others laying in yards all around that'll never launch again. But I agree you wouldn't think a 1993 J/92 would be fatally flawed already.

WOW,

'just' patch the deck.

Get some G10 pieces for the tracks, stantions and to support the traveler.

Cooler full of deli meat and do the Vineyard Race.

What is not to like?

The owner wanted $15+k for it less than a year ago in similar condition if this is the same boat I'm thinking of, I believe he said the motor has been freshly rebuilt.

the boat ...after it wasn't sold, was parted out (motor, sails) there was a LOT of wet core...spent this whole summer redoing the deck of our 92.....100 hrs. plus materials.....not impossible but a shit ton of labor and time....add a new motor, new sails to the price...............I still think that if someone had the time and knowledge, they could rehab this boat for under the cost of a ready to sail 92....

When the description includes "cleats" you know they are stretching. Too bad, was a real consideration. Core work was not frightening to me, but no sails, engine and missing what else....would make a very expensive proposition north of the 49th. I hope someone gets her back on the water....

I have seen the boat in the yard. The deck looks rough. Missing hardware can't be helping the core or the interior. The hull had a few spots that had some distortion.

The boat has been sitting for years with the cut deck areas exposed to rain, snow, etc...so those repair areas have probably multiplied. Plus I would think there are many other places that now need core work...probably at this point the whole deck is just about shot. What a shame...J Boats+ neglect=PIECE OF SHIT. PERSONALLY I HATE Balsa core for this reason...they claim a leak cannot go sideways into other areas or "cut boxes" but that is complete bullshit. Between the yard bill and the Boat Angels fee it's $1,500 with a zero high bid...and no motor, no trailer and lots of other question marks. Plus coughing up the cost of winter yard storage...that at least another 1k. I'm not surprised the first guy passed on this "incredible deal"...!!!

hate to say it, but that's a prime candidate for a chainsaw.

hate to say it, but that's a prime candidate for a chainsaw.

$.72/lb. for lead on the market ( my guy bought 1500lbs. of lead from me last week for $.43/lb.) 2275 lbs. of lead in the keel, the Hall mast is worth something, deck hardware...whatever is left

PLUS labor...NOT WORTH IT except for the yard to chop it up and get some $ back from the storage fees

The boat doesn't have a motor

Kind of pointless at this stage since the boat sold but it does have a motor. I called the yard and they said it was out to be serviced, goes with the boat and is in top working order.

I love cutting boats up but this was not a candidate.

http://20160506_144439_zpsdelovrcc.jpg

thank you :-) lookin good

What shop are you at?

My shop is in Bristol, RI

The boat's very capable owner is putting everything back together at his home in CT. He managed to soda blast the bottom over the weekend.

Very nice boat once he's done.

I love cutting boats up but this was not a candidate.

http://20160506_144439_zpsdelovrcc.jpg

Looks like a Ranger 37 parked next to it... more pics of that boat!

I loved my 92 had if from 1999 to 2004, have been tempted to get another. Best all round value per £ of anything I owned (SB20/M24/J92/105/109)