Dog

Lighthouses

The cool boats thread inspired this. This one is full of memories for me. Gibbs Hill, Bermuda. Your favorites? bermuda_gibbs_hill_lighthouse.jpg

I have always liked the Sister Islands Lighthouse in the 1000 Islands (on the far Island)

423009_orig.jpg

...and a closeup of the light house

2093813_orig.jpg

Old Point Loma Lighthouse, San Diego.

Once again....pretty enough but not the prettiest...but meaningful to me. At their request, spread both Mom & Dad's ashes there. But since that's illegal, I - of course - simply made that up. (But its a great story which involved my brother and I, alcohol, holes cut in the pocket of shorts and lotsa skulking.........)

But it is where I go once in a while when I want to think about them.

buildings_lighthouse_old_point_loma_ligh

Thomas Point Light, the last operating screwpile lighthouse on the Chesapeake. Some think it's a good place to fish.

IMG_0855.JPG

Old Point Loma Lighthouse, San Diego.

Once again....pretty enough but not the prettiest...but meaningful to me. At their request, spread both Mom & Dad's ashes there. But since that's illegal, I - of course - simply made that up. (But its a great story which involved my brother and I, alcohol, holes cut in the pocket of shorts and lotsa skulking.........)

But it is where I go once in a while when I want to think about them.

buildings_lighthouse_old_point_loma_ligh

Beautiful lighthouse, great story.

Hudson River Lighthouses :

Esopus Lighthouse

customLogo.gif?revision=2

Rondout Lighthouse

rondout-lighthouse.jpg

For something a bit warmer, Lady Elliot Lighthouse

0527-Freshly-painted-lighthouse-at-Lady-

It is a pretty nice spot, although the only time I have rounded in daylight was a little pressed for sightseeing. Masthead kite still up, full main, 30-35knots, slowly knocking us down towards the island. It was bloody relieving to gybe around the island and be able to free up and get back to working the waves

aerial-485.jpg

The cool boats thread inspired this. This one is full of memories for me. Gibbs Hill, Bermuda. Your favorites? bermuda_gibbs_hill_lighthouse.jpg

If you have the chance, have dinner right about sundown on the terrace at "The Dining Room" at Gibbs Hill. Average (for Bermuda) prices. Decent food and views that are spectacular.

I'm not going to post any photos, but the Chesapeake is rich with lighthouse history.

I've found lighthouses on the Chessie to be friendly, welcoming beacons that do aid my navigation even though I use my GPS. They are visually appealing and really take you back in time.

Lighthouses on the Delaware bay mostly seemed cold, forbidding and industrial to me.

In Maryland, lighthouse keepers were actually political appointees. It wasn't a job you could just apply for.

I've read some of the pages of logs kept by the keepers. Long periods of boredom punctuated by short periods of terror, being trapped in a lighthouse being demolished in a storm.

Two very similar Rhode Island lighthouses that I've sailed by many times.

Watch Hill

post-66703-0-54914200-1443532659_thumb.jpg

And Beavertail

post-66703-0-07250300-1443532669_thumb.jpg

Peggys-Cove-8214.jpg

Peggy's Cove Light - one of the doorposts of my bay.

(courtesy of Peter Steeper)

That looks like a painting.

Pretty manly place to sail.

For something a bit warmer, Lady Elliot Lighthouse

0527-Freshly-painted-lighthouse-at-Lady-

It is a pretty nice spot, although the only time I have rounded in daylight was a little pressed for sightseeing. Masthead kite still up, full main, 30-35knots, slowly knocking us down towards the island. It was bloody relieving to gybe around the island and be able to free up and get back to working the waves

aerial-485.jpg

Strange effect - that island looks like it's a hole in the ocean.

Here's the lighthouse I grew up with. We used to party on the beach there as teens.

Point Betsie with northern lights bonus. Photo credit to Dennis Buchner -

northern-lights-on-point-betsie-lighthou

A couple from my youth. The Hornby and MacQuarie Lighthouses. South Sydney Heads.

post-81201-0-67927800-1443550678_thumb.jpeg

post-81201-0-55284900-1443550710_thumb.jpeg

I'm not going to post any photos, but the Chesapeake is rich with lighthouse history.

I've found lighthouses on the Chessie to be friendly, welcoming beacons that do aid my navigation even though I use my GPS. They are visually appealing and really take you back in time.

Lighthouses on the Delaware bay mostly seemed cold, forbidding and industrial to me.

In Maryland, lighthouse keepers were actually political appointees. It wasn't a job you could just apply for.

I've read some of the pages of logs kept by the keepers. Long periods of boredom punctuated by short periods of terror, being trapped in a lighthouse being demolished in a storm.

I will...Concord Point (Havre de Grace) Second date with my now wonderful wife.

concord_point_lighthouse.jpg

Wow, that looks a *lot* like Piney Point light. Cool!

The industrial looking Bloody Point Light marking the entrance to Eastern Bay on the Chesapeake.

IMG_5710.JPG

Louisbourg Lighthouse is a historic Canadian lighthouse at Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, and is the site of the first lighthouse in Canada, just down the road from my house.

6597226135_d51177d7ae_b.jpg

The first light
Construction began on the lighthouse in 1730 to assist navigation to Fortress of Louisbourg. It was completed in 1734. A fire in 1736 destroyed the lantern but the stone tower was unharmed and a new lantern was installed in 1738.[1] Lighthouse Point played a decisive role in both sieges of Fortress Louisbourg as, once captured, it provided a commanding gun battery location to bombard the fortress. This lighthouse was badly damaged in 1758 during the Final Siege of Louisbourg and abandoned by the British after they demolished the fortress. Stonework ruins from the first tower are still visibile at the site.
The lighthouse today
An octagonal concrete lighthouse decorated with neoclassical architectural features was built in 1923.

The industrial looking Bloody Point Light marking the entrance to Eastern Bay on the Chesapeake.

If you're going to show a spooky old cassion-style lighthouse, show the real crazy example:

Sharp's Island Light: Nearly torn from its foundation by an ice floe during the winter of 1976-77, this lighthouse remained in service for years afterwards after having the light adjusted, and the 4th order Fresnel lens replaced with a 9.8" lens. The light was deactivated as recently as 2010, and I was fortunate enough to have seen it lit once, before it was finally darkened.

1002170653461sharpsmr.jpg

It's not well-known but this lighthouse used to be on the Chesapeake and it too was bent over by ice.

europe-leaning-tower-of-pisa.jpg

Now it's just part of a maritime museum in Italy.

LOL....I'll actually be visiting Pisa soon!

Hi, not the prettiest lighthouse but on a beautiful island. Anclote Key FL.post-103069-0-15892100-1443624561_thumb.jpgpost-103069-0-15892100-1443624561_thumb.jpg

OK Tucky and Elegua, name this one, 2 views:

Summer%202008%20041_zpsydpduoz9.jpg

Summer%202008%20048_zpsdzgowess.jpg

Execution Rocks, western LIS., my old sailing grounds. Legend has it executions were carried out by chaining the victim to the rocks at low tide.

post-1017-0-11223300-1443625590_thumb.jpg

Here's another of Pt. Betsie, MI. I'll be up there in a couple of weeks and try to get a good original.

21700718899_0fd215ffce_b.jpg

Here is the other side of lighthouses: Not a picturesque setting, never pretty or cute, out of use, sold into private hands, lacking maintenance.

IMG 1055

Stamford (CT) Lighthouse (on a good day).

There aren't many lighthouses in Maine with no Keeper's House close by. If I'm right I went through there in 2014, if not I've made a mistake:-)

Here are a few lighthouses I liked up in Maine. These date back to 2012 when I had an older camera, so I apologize for the cruddy resolution on some of them.

post-106881-0-92625600-1443810755_thumb.jpg

post-106881-0-54276700-1443810756_thumb.jpg

post-106881-0-68987100-1443810757_thumb.jpg

post-106881-0-20096000-1443810758_thumb.jpg

post-106881-0-47788400-1443810759_thumb.jpg

presque-isle-lighthouse-erie-united-stat

This lighthouse is on Presque Isle State Park in my hometown of Erie, PA.

4094579412_b7e90f51bd.jpg

This one isn't as pretty, it sits at the entrance to Presque Isle Bay. When I was young, I went to sleep every night to the sound of its foghorn. I have a 4" ceramic replica of it that I have hauled around the world with me so I have a little piece of home where ever I go.

Erie_Land_Light_August_2013_2-300x451.jp

This is the third lighthouse in Erie, PA at the foot of Lighthouse St., overlooking Lake Erie.

The only lighthouse still functioning of the three is the one at the entrance to the bay.

There aren't many lighthouses in Maine with no Keeper's House close by. If I'm right I went through there in 2014, if not I've made a mistake:-)

You guys nailed it. That one is kind of out of the way.

Mistake is the last place I was pulled over for a random CG inspection.

In season, a wonderful place to forage for raspberries and blueberries.

My local, Barnegat Light.

Pre-dawn, looking east.

2015_09_16_BarnegatPreDawn.jpg

Coming home in the afternoon, looking west.

2015_09_18_barnegatInlet.jpg

Sandy Hook, NJ, Little Pink Lighthouse at the base of the George Washington Bridge in New York, and West Bank in Lower Bay, NY.

post-15739-0-72532900-1443828896_thumb.jpg

post-15739-0-67523500-1443828915_thumb.jpg

post-15739-0-50990700-1443829154_thumb.jpg

Here's the only lighthouse for miles around. Cape Scott, at the top of Vancouver Island. I always thought they were supposed to be visible until I saw this one. Equally invisible from the other side.

cape%252520scott.jpg

...and Old Orchard Light off of the south shore of Staten Island, NY. Now gone thanks to that damn storm in 2012.

post-15739-0-90519100-1443829976_thumb.jpg

Here is the other side of lighthouses: Not a picturesque setting, never pretty or cute, out of use, sold into private hands, lacking maintenance.

Stamford (CT) Lighthouse (on a good day).

She's not pretty, but it when I see her, I know I'm home.

Wow, that looks a *lot* like Piney Point light. Cool!

Ajax, They might be designed by the same dude if I remember the history I've read correctly.

Sandy Hook, NJ, Little Pink Red Pink Lighthouse at the base of the George Washington Bridge in New York, and West Bank in Lower Bay, NY.

:)

:):)

Sandy Hook, NJ, Little Pink Lighthouse at the base of the George Washington Bridge in New York, and West Bank in Lower Bay, NY.

I have the children's book of the Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Grey Bridge.

I loved it as a kid and would get scared for the tug every single time.

vieille6.jpeg

La vieille and la Plate, means a lot too many in Brittany, those who haven't been stuck 4 hours on a side or another waiting for the next tide are either extremely good at passage planning or not sailing enough!

Capo Caccia lighthouse in Northwest Sardinia.

IMG_0254.JPG

You guys nailed it. That one is kind of out of the way.

Mistake is the last place I was pulled over for a random CG inspection.

In season, a wonderful place to forage for raspberries and blueberries.

I would have missed that. I've never seen it directly. Only as a loom many years ago.

Elegua, the first is definitely Burnt Coat. Is the second Marshall Point?

Elegua, the first is definitely Burnt Coat. Is the second Marshall Point?

Yes on both counts!

9384366772_ea99c5fe43_c.jpg

21794311720_a71f500895_c.jpg

Capo Caccia lighthouse in Northwest Sardinia.

IMG_0254.JPG

Along the same lines, Tasman Island on the East Coast of Tasmania

Tasman%20Island%20Cruises%20-%20Tasman%2

W5ksVyB.jpg?1

Estevan Point

sheringham.jpg

Is that Estevan for sure? What's the building to the north?

Sorry, my bad. Sheringham.

North Head, Kaipara Harbour, North Island, NZL

post-76289-0-41230500-1444107975_thumb.jpg

Castlepoint, Wairarapa, Wellington from Deliverance Cove.

post-76289-0-00195200-1444108473_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple from the other side of the pond.

Tour de Hercules, the oldest operating lighthouse in existence, La Couruna, built by the Romans.

Tour%20de%20Hercules.jpg

The French don't muck about when it comes to lighthouses. Phare du Creac'h probably the world's most powerful with a 32 mile range.

sans_titre-00063_0.jpg

Near by there's Phare de Isle Vierge, the world's tallest at 82 meters.

phare-de-l-ile-vierge-1.jpg

This thread really inspires me to get my boat out of the Chesapeake.

There's something about seeing these sights from your own deck and not a rental car or charter boat.

low-head-foghorn-9323660.jpg

My local. Low Head, Tasmania

Sad to see that people were allowed to build houses so close to Low Head lighthouse. There will be nasty visual pollution from that.

Sambro Lighthouse, the oldest continuously operating lighthouse in North America (commissioned 1759) stands guard on the approaches to Halifax.

Sambroandcannons.jpg

View from inside the Sambro Ledges

B97461044Z.120150526065619000GJJ9MFBJ.11

Nice pics Jim. Was wondering when someone was going to put that up. I've only seen it a few times in person.

Cape Brett Lighthouse, Bay of Islands, Far North, NZL

post-76289-0-56097500-1444159186_thumb.jpg

W5ksVyB.jpg?1

Damn!... Like something out of a fairy tale.

Gay Head Lighthouse at the west end of Martha’s Vineyard. I lived less than half a mile away for five summers and one winter. 160 years old, it was moved inland 130' last Spring: (400 tons)

GayHead.jpg

AP969577169806.jpg

That is pretty amazing, although probably becoming more common with rising sea levels and climate change. Of course there are easier ways to make lights portable...

2013912194521_Lurcher%204.jpg

I never saw this one - she was de-commissioned from her post off Yarmouth NS in 1969...a victim of LORAN.

Cape Hatteras Light was also moved in 1999.

HaterasMove.jpg

1991 view

5D13D05E-1DD8-B71C-0762BF284E4093DD.jpg

The lightship Columbia (#5, I believe) is still around as a museum piece, in Astoria. When I was in college, it was replaced with the big-assed buoy in the foreground. At some point that was replaced too... the current one just looks like any other river buoy. Nothing special. Somehow, it ought to be something special.

800px-Lightship_Columbia.jpg

Gay Head Lighthouse at the west end of Martha’s Vineyard. I lived less than half a mile away for five summers and one winter. 160 years old, it was moved inland 130' last Spring: (400 tons)

I love looking at all these lighthouses but this line at the end of that article got me thinking:

A temporary beacon has been installed on a simple steel pole nearby to guide ships to safety.

Possibly because lights don't really need a house. The people who used to have to service the lights needed a house.

Germans would probably run the words together and call it a lightkeeperhouse, which better describes what these structures really were.

If I went there, I'd enjoy seeing it. I wouldn't go see a light on a steel pole.

I love looking at all these lighthouses but this line at the end of that article got me thinking:

A temporary beacon has been installed on a simple steel pole nearby to guide ships to safety.

Possibly because lights don't really need a house. The people who used to have to service the lights needed a house.

Germans would probably run the words together and call it a lightkeeperhouse, which better describes what these structures really were.

If I went there, I'd enjoy seeing it. I wouldn't go see a light on a steel pole.

At least around here, the lighthouse keeper also functioned as a rescue service, in addition to providing radio contact with the outside world.

W5ksVyB.jpg?1

Are those "Organ pipe" rock formations in Tas unique? I don't recall ever seeing anything like them.

Cape Hatteras Light was also moved in 1999.

HaterasMove.jpg

1991 view

5D13D05E-1DD8-B71C-0762BF284E4093DD.jpg

There was a TV show done about that move. I can't imagine even thinking it was possible but they did it.

They have pretty cool pictures of the moving process at Hatteras. If I remember correctly, it basically went inland parallel and thru the parking lot...over to the left in that picture.

W5ksVyB.jpg?1

Are those "Organ pipe" rock formations in Tas unique? I don't recall ever seeing anything like them.

Columnar basalts. They cover pretty much the whole PNW. . Long straight six-sided columns form in the interior of big lava flows that cool very slowly. Thousands of years. Has to do with the physics of stuff that contracts as it solidifies - same as "plates" in a mud puddle.

Some geologists are now saying Tasmania originated somewhere between Idaho, Montana and Oregon, and migrated all the way to join Gondwanaland.

Completely different geology from the rest of Oz.

http://www.themercury.com.au/lifestyle/university-of-tasmania-researchers-discover-surprising-geological-history/story-fnj64o6u-1227519448559

Er... coincidence. These rocks are mere infants compared to that age of the Earth. And the Columbia River Basalts are only about 10 million years old.

We have the pleasure of having this at our Marina.

boston-060-copy.jpg

Here is my daughter and I raising havoc on the ship. :D