Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Lord

GC 32 vs MOD 70

Found on AC thread posted by nav:

Very cool. It looks like when they come off the wind a bit, the 32 is right there with them.

Great video but different horses for courses: F1 (inshore) vs. Baja 1000 (offshore)..... no waves to hinder the GC32 here. Both are incredible machines.

Great Video...and nice to see the City of Muscat in the background. Oman seems to be a hotspot for sailing...particularly multihulls. Love it!

mod 70 was underpowered. if not, it would have easily walked away.

center hull flying pretty high

Great Video...and nice to see the City of Muscat in the background. Oman seems to be a hotspot for sailing...particularly multihulls. Love it!

It's Marseille...

Love it, now if a could just win the lotto, its a MOD 70 for me..... :)

Yeah, that's not Muscat! oman Sail squanders their millions far away from those shores!

mod 70 was underpowered. if not, it would have easily walked away.

Once you're flying the main hull, any more sail area is just parasitic drag. Given that the Mod 70 was semi-foiling on the leeward ama, it's a pretty good demonstration that size doesn't matter, once you're on the foils. Yes, in rough water the 70 is going to march away, but in the smooth water of the Great Sound, it doesn't seem that there would be a big speed advantage to bigger boats in the AC...it's just that the crashes won't be as spectacular - that is why we watch, isn't it? This is supposed to be like NASCAR, right?!

In this vid, the 32 was fast unitl the bow dove under (not shown) The mod was stable fast, the 32 was scary fast. Scary fast isn't sustainable if it takes 110% concentration 110% of the time.

Both very cool though.

If not for the need to attract spectators with large teams running around, it's possible that the ultimate foiling platform would keep shrinking to the point where the AC could be sailed in 25 footers. We could call it the Little AC..

If not for the need to attract spectators with large teams running around, it's possible that the ultimate foiling platform would keep shrinking to the point where the AC could be sailed in 25 footers. We could call it the Little AC..

Sort of like the Catri 25?

http://catri.catrigroup.com/catri-25-study-plans/

Hyeres perhaps rather than Marseille?

OS themselves are calling it Marseille.

Final edit with suitably dramatic music.

Slight tangent question what is the at rue upwind angle a foiled cat can sustain? Most of these videos show, based on the waves, downwind to the true wind angle. Or on a reach. I'm curious if they can do 30 to 40° angles since they are for foiling

Driving...Siri screwed up the verbal too written translation. But I think you guys get the point of my question

GC32 looks HOT when it's not bounding up and down. Makes me wonder what they'd look like in an ocean swell. :mellow:

I'm impressed the MOD70 keeps up very nicely with the full foiler for most of the video. Clearly shows what a beast those boats really are. Clearly the GC32 is no slouch either!

Impressive! I prefer the 70. You could in theory get laid downstairs, eat a sandwich or take a... Downstairs while all this is happening

😉

Me too i would also like to know where exactly it is on the south of France coast. Near Marseille maybe, hyeres def not.

Mistral? Quite gusty offshore wind!

In some pictures the 70 looks underpowered but in others the sails area fits the conditions well!

Slight tangent question what is the at rue upwind angle a foiled cat can sustain? Most of these videos show, based on the waves, downwind to the true wind angle. Or on a reach. I'm curious if they can do 30 to 40° angles since they are for foiling

At the foiling week, the flying phantoms were aĺl flying upwind at something like 50-55. Just little lower than us in moths (we tipycally go 50)

They didn't seem to have a high mode in foils,and their vmg looked often close when pinching and skimming. Good guys sometimes found a very fast foiling mode, others were often a bit struggling getting the vmg right. It looked very much skill dependant :)

Any way to fantasize about getting closer to 30 TWA? Just curious

Impressive! I prefer the 70. You could in theory get laid downstairs, eat a sandwich or take a... Downstairs while all this is happening

Me too i would also like to know where exactly it is on the south of France coast. Near Marseille maybe, hyeres def not.

Mistral? Quite gusty offshore wind!

In some pictures the 70 looks underpowered but in others the sails area fits the conditions well!

The GC32's are in Marseille right now, so I suspect this is the local...

I think the building you see on the top of the hill in the first shot looks like it's Notre-Dame de la Garde, and the white blocks on the right of the shot can be found here, so shot off Marseille south east of Pointe Cadière.

Easy: Invent a head sail that can easily work at single digit angles of attack and you're good to go.

My 2c: I'm no aero expert, but as clean says it's all about lift to drag, and the faster you go upwind, the tougher it is to pinch.

As you go faster upwind, AoA on the sail reduces, and boat aero drag increases. So you can go high only if you reduce boat aero drag and go with a very efficient sail, for ex. an endplated wing. So for example the kites with foils and foil-kites are able to go pretty high - I think around 40 when they want to pinch - because they have a very efficient sail (the foil kite) and very low overall drag (basically kite + foil in the water + kiter).

That said, the biggest advantage of foiling are the downwind angles, which get reeeeeeeally deep, just see what the AC boats did in Frisco. I think that upwind angles like those of old AC boats (i.e. 35) are simply not efficient, when you go that much faster.

I think the building you see on the top of the hill in the first shot looks like it's Notre-Dame de la Garde, and the white blocks on the right of the shot can be found here, so shot off Marseille south east of Pointe Cadière.

Exactly it's Marseille , the second French town

Two aeras for racing depending of the wind and waves

74ed30438846782.jpg

Like a foiling kite? Rumours from SF that they're as fast upwind as an AC45 and only slightly slower downwind - which the addition of adjustable kite camber may change.

All that money looks a bit silly if $3k is faster.

Like a foiling kite? Rumours from SF that they're as fast upwind as an AC45 and only slightly slower downwind - which the addition of adjustable kite camber may change.

You could jump off a cliff with no parachute and go even faster.

That $3k looks a bit silly if FOC is faster.

Jumping off a cliff isn't sailing, so that's just a dumbass comparison. Whereas a foiling kite is sailing. And apparently as fast or faster - and for interesting reasons.

Jumping off a cliff isn't sailing, so that's just a dumbass comparison. Whereas a foiling kite is sailing. And apparently as fast or faster - and for interesting reasons.

Foiling kiting in the context you alluded to was simply about speed and has about as much to do with AC45 as jumping off a cliff.

Foiling kiting is awesome and I only wish I could come close to doing it, but it makes the AC look like like a spectator sport in comparison.

^...and if you plan to cross oceans, you need something a bit bigger than a board, at least if you want to do it unassisted

^...and if you plan to cross oceans, you need something a bit bigger than a board, at least if you want to do it unassisted

You think an AC 45 can cross an ocean? Fastest it would go is from the surface to the bottom. Not really but still, come on.

Foiling kiting in the context you alluded to was simply about speed and has about as much to do with AC45 as jumping off a cliff.

Foiling kiting is awesome and I only wish I could come close to doing it, but it makes the AC look like like a spectator sport in comparison.

It really doesn;t matter if foiling kiting is a less spectator friendly scene than an AC45 or 62. If it's as fast it devalues or undermines the spectacle of an AC45 or 62. Spectators and commentators alike would end up knowing that the vast money and effort can be beaten (or even nearly beaten) by a single guy on $3k worth of gear.

Similarly it wouldn't matter if streamline bicycle racing were less of a spectacle than F1 if it were to be faster than F1. F1 would look silly in comparison.

And while I'd be inclined to bet on an AC62 ultimately being faster than a foiling kite, it's not a slam-dunk and the reasons are interesting.

That's an LEI kite (not even a race kite, I think) and a surfboard rather than a race board. An up to date foilboard and foil kite could be 50% faster.

Still, the AC72 would - I'm guessing - crush any foilboard rig up and downwind. But there's gotta be lots of ways still for the kites to go faster.

Anyone remember this video from the last AC?

This guy made the Oracle crew work a little bit to get past him.

(action starts at 2:18 mark)

What's with the blurred out section of the 72 fore of the wheel?

Anyone remember this video from the last AC?

This guy made the Oracle crew work a little bit to get past him.

(action starts at 2:18 mark)

What's with the blurred out section of the 72 fore of the wheel?