DDW

Looking forward to the invention of cleats in Canada

Are you saying they aren't?

Have I been misinformed all these years?

18 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

They must be an endangered  species in Tassie, the way they protect them.

Wouldn't want them to get damaged!

Tas cleats.jpg

Hey, you can see our play house in the background.

To be fair to Kettering Marina, the cleats were there long before the bull rails.

They are on top of a later barrier to stop swell getting into the marina on the left of that “attenuator”.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:54 AM, Norse Horse said:

Those are a cruel example of a bull rail. They should be soft, pliable and rounded, like grandma's butt on a bar stool...:(

You forgot “And slimey”.

All hail......

2 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Hey, you can see our play house in the background.

To be fair to Kettering Marina, the cleats were there long before the bull rails.

They are on top of a later barrier to stop swell getting into the marina on the left of that “attenuator”.

The red one to the right? Some playhouse.......

2 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

The red one to the right? Some playhouse.......

Not the boat, it looks like an old VO 60, been there since the last S2H. Had the engine running this morning, so may be moving out.

we are fixing up an old place in Ferry Rd.

15 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Not the boat, it looks like an old VO 60, been there since the last S2H. Had the engine running this morning, so may be moving out.

we are fixing up an old place in Ferry Rd.

VO 60? S2H?

On 4/15/2019 at 3:22 PM, Bull City said:

Thanks. I am such a caveman. It should be obvious that I don't know to tie up to a bull rail.

Caveman invented fire and cordless tools...

Image result for funny cave man in water

Away from the land of Milk and Honey and Cleats and back to the land of stone axes and bull rails. It is kind of a progression: from Anacortes (with nice big galvinized cleats) to Roche Harbor with large, ungainly, splintery wooden cleats, to Van Isle with plain old Splintery Bull Rails. Kind of like stepping back through time from post industrial to pre-industrial to stone age. "Here, tie you line to this stick..."

Roche only seems to have those dead tree cleats on their guest dock. Elsewhere they have those big galvanized units with the two posts where they bolt down. Given the number of Canadian guests who come through Roche, I suspect it's a kindness to ease them gently into the modern age of line fastening.

2 hours ago, DDW said:

Away from the land of Milk and Honey and Cleats and back to the land of stone axes and bull rails. It is kind of a progression: from Anacortes (with nice big galvinized cleats) to Roche Harbor with large, ungainly, splintery wooden cleats, to Van Isle with plain old Splintery Bull Rails. Kind of like stepping back through time from post industrial to pre-industrial to stone age. "Here, tie you line to this stick..."

And yet, your back. Is it the beautiful environment, the wonderful people or the repressed, forbidden love of the rail....hmmmm?

2 hours ago, chester said:

And yet, your back. Is it the beautiful environment, the wonderful people or the repressed, forbidden love of the rail....hmmmm?

It's a bit more relaxing when you know the people around you aren't drunk and packing heat. Drunk, maybe. Armed? Unlikely.

My new slip has dirty, splintery bull rails. I hate them already. If that makes me un-Canadian then so be it, I also have no interest in hockey, and Tim Horton's is shit. There, I said it.

6 hours ago, DDW said:

Wait, the ice hasn't melted past Hornby Island yet...

33 minutes ago, PaulinVictoria said:

My new slip has dirty, splintery bull rails. I hate them already. If that makes me un-Canadian then so be it, I also have no interest in hockey, and Tim Horton's is shit. There, I said it.

Welcome to the dark side, Paul. 

57 minutes ago, PaulinVictoria said:

He hates Timmy!

So you like Nickelback?

27 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

He hates Timmy!

So you like Nickelback?

Are they the gay cowboys?

6 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

Careful now, they'll boot you to the US if you keep talking like that.

You have incredible sailing scenery where you're at.

Those redneck southern Canadians might as well be US citizens. Make it official and move up north to the US, the scenery's just as nice!

2-0-1.jpg

8 minutes ago, IStream said:

Those redneck southern Canadians might as well be US citizens. Make it official and move up north to the US, the scenery's just as nice!

2-0-1.jpg

Actually, it isn't up north or just as nice. Due north is still Canada, the scenery is much nicer, and we are thankfully not ruled by Mad King Donald.

10 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Actually, it isn't up north or just as nice. Due north is still Canada, the scenery is much nicer, and we are thankfully not ruled by Mad King Donald.

Thanks for pissing in my beer, Ish. We've got at least 2-6 more years of this shit and I'm just trying to get through it.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, IStream said:

Thanks for pissing in my beer, Ish. We've got at least 2-6 more years of this shit and I'm just trying to get through it.

:lol:

9 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

Are they the gay cowboys?

I thought they were prairie dogs...

1 minute ago, Norse Horse said:

I thought they were prairie dogs...

No idea, I'm not from round 'ere

1 hour ago, IStream said:

2-0-1.jpg

Hence the visit by the Church or the Holy Cleat...

He is starting with the easy pickin's on VI...:huh:

Come north we have salmon and Robertson screws to trade with you...:)

XCqnmzr.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IStream said:

4 - 8 years.  Remember he gets a 2 year do-over.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CyberBOB said:

4 - 8 years.  Remember he gets a 2 year do-over.

Fuck it, I'll just plan for the "full FDR".

20 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

Tim Horton's is shit.

Amen, brother! No Special Sauce!

9 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Come north we have salmon and Robertson screws to trade with you...:)

XCqnmzr.png

Cream filled!

The scenery and the Bull Rails - like a train wreck you just can't look away. I was actually trying to get through Bull Rail Land and back Amer'ca. Ish you will note that if you go a little further north and a little further west you are back there. You can see Russia from there I'm told. Trying to get there but my upgrade program has bogged down as boat projects do, so I've stopped off in Sidney for a few weeks. 

2 hours ago, DDW said:

The scenery and the Bull Rails - like a train wreck you just can't look away. I was actually trying to get through Bull Rail Land and back Amer'ca. Ish you will note that if you go a little further north and a little further west you are back there. You can see Russia from there I'm told. Trying to get there but my upgrade program has bogged down as boat projects do, so I've stopped off in Sidney for a few weeks. 

I'd love to buy you a beer if we can meet up. We leave for points east on Sunday, returning in a couple of weeks, but we may have time.

Note to robbers: we have housesitters and enough cats to keep you sneezing for weeks. Don't even think of it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I'd love to buy you a beer if we can meet up. We leave for points east on Sunday, returning in a couple of weeks, but we may have time.

Note to robbers: we have housesitters and enough cats to keep you sneezing for weeks. Don't even think of it.

On 5/6/2019 at 10:52 PM, Norse Horse said:

Wait, the ice hasn't melted past Hornby Island yet...

Lies.

Just got back from a week cruise to Pender Harbour, Lund, Cortes, Desolation, Shoal Bay, Johnson Strait, Robson Bight (no whales), Broughtons and Port McNeill.

No ice anywhere, nothing but clear skies, fair currents and wind on the nose. Yucultas and Dent rapids were a 10 knot sleigh ride with 2 foot deep whirlpools up to 40' across. :blink:

Cleats and no bull rails in Port Mcneill.

With the weather in the PNW as it is the last week or so, if there were ice it's gone now. Another few years it'll me like the subtropics up there. 

Which marina in Port McNeill? The private one has bull rails as I recall. Not sure about the muni.

Not sure about the ownership - there seemed to be three separate operations in the harbour. We were only there overnight so I didn't garner any local knowledge.

I did see possibly the best zombie, the best COTB and the best ugly dodger ever, or rather the worst of each, but I didn't have a camera with me. :angry:

How'd you do all that in a week from West Van, cigarette boat?

Hunter 38. It was a positioning trip for a trip around the island next month. Motored the whole way and had fair currents of up to 6 knots every day. image.png.693d6212a7e02f86f04a737ff2bc012e.pngimage.png.cae46aa10a024bc083766abb25b849a1.png

It was an easy, comfortable trip - just noisy. The owner had just had 10 grand of electronics installed and wanted to set up and check everything out before the serious part of the trip over Nahwitti bar and down the outside.

So, you went through the Yaculta and Dent at full tide? A bit balsy in a Hunter 38. 

-_-

Went through Yaculta in a 90 foot power yacht, 20 minutes late (after slack).  Christian Dior China all busted up, Milk and egg slurry washing the floor of the walk-in fridge.  Teak deck furniture banging side to side on the upper deck. Etc.

Owner of boat was driving.  I just cleaned up the mess.  

Steve

I had no idea we were being so manly - just thought it was exciting. We had the presence of mind to batten down before starting out so only a few books hit the floor.

Of course when I was young and immortal I went through Gabriola pass at full flood on a 20' bilge keeler - mostly because I didn't know any better. Saw a 26' Haida do a full 360 in a whirlpool that time but I was smart enough to stay in the middle where it was smoother.

This time we only got jolted around a bit. It is an eye opener when a 10 ton boat gets yanked about 40 degrees off course by the eddys

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I had no idea we were being so manly - just thought it was exciting. We had the presence of mind to batten down before starting out so only a few books hit the floor.

Of course when I was young and immortal I went through Gabriola pass at full flood on a 20' bilge keeler - mostly because I didn't know any better. Saw a 26' Haida do a full 360 in a whirlpool that time but I was smart enough to stay in the middle where it was smoother.

This time we only got jolted around a bit. It is an eye opener when a 10 ton boat gets yanked about 40 degrees off course by the eddys

I remember coming out of Princess Louisa when Malibu was running on a good ebb when I was young and foolish.  Tide was pretty low, thought I was going to snap my tiller trying to make the corner before the rock.

It was in the days before GPS, but would have loved to know what my SOG was.

That 'splains it.  I took a few of those at moderate current.  Sporty but very gratifying with 6-7 knots boats peed (I think I'll leave that Freudian typo right there) and 5 or 7 knots current.  Don't know if its proper practice but I figured, with my lack of keel, if I pulled the dagger board up 7/8 it would reduce skittering.  Maybe like a skate bug on a pond; above it all.   Also engine  wound up, on high.   It worked, I'm still here.

On 5/13/2019 at 6:21 PM, SloopJonB said:

Hunter 38. It was a positioning trip for a trip around the island next month. Motored the whole way and had fair currents of up to 6 knots every day. image.png.693d6212a7e02f86f04a737ff2bc012e.pngimage.png.cae46aa10a024bc083766abb25b849a1.png

It was an easy, comfortable trip - just noisy. The owner had just had 10 grand of electronics installed and wanted to set up and check everything out before the serious part of the trip over Nahwitti bar and down the outside.

We took some advice, skipped Nahwitti, and went inside the kelp close to shore, no issues at all. Biggest bull kelp I have ever seen.

I went inside the kelp also, easy and scenic.