DDW

Looking forward to the invention of cleats in Canada

1 hour ago, sculpin said:

You would think the MegaYacht crew would have a bunch of guys ready to spring onto the pier with cleats, lag bolts, and impact drivers - ready to properly tie up such a magnificent craft.  "Ready the cleat team!!!"

Bring Your Own Bollard

• Like 1

They must have a thing for bull rails. If they wanted cleats they could go down the harbour to the mega yacht marina. If it'll hold a Melges...

Closer examination:

vi-marina-near-completion.jpg

Gratifying to see that the newer docks in Victoria have proper cleats. 

As to why you want your dock lines tight, they do need to be tight enough that you can step from the boat to the dock and back. Wrap a line around a rough, pressure treated POS 8x8 and the friction is so great you don't even have to secure it further. Try to move the boat down the dock by sweating in the lines? Forget that....

A properly rigged spring line does nothing to keep your boat close to the float. And by the way, it is difficult to rig a proper spring line on bull rails. But then everything is more difficult with bull rails. 

I should have been more descriptive. 

I usually rig a bow line, forward bow spring, after quarter spring and stern line if there is room. And yes, usually to bull rails.

Point is I like to let my boat move with the water rather than let the dock lines yank on it.

Now that she has visited Canada, her vision is clear. Go the Greta.

3br77h.jpg

• Like 1

Tis the season for Bull Rail Slime - got my lines good and slimed at two Broughtons docks. That tends to lubricate the splinters to some extent.

Now, there is no doubt whatsoever that cleats are more environmentally sound than bull rails. Installed once and good for about 40 years or more. Does not require clear cutting forests (though I realize this is baked into the BC psyche). Cleats rarely fail, but if they do break apart they sink benignly to the bottom, rather than floating around as a hazard to navigation. 

Uo2U26y.jpg

I spotted this in Milatos, a village in Crete. I'm not sure what you would call it. There was no one around to ask.

IMG_4726.thumb.jpg.59afd36d3e95d3f19af2efa819d27d58.jpg

I also spotted this mooring line, made off to some old rock.

IMG_4728.thumb.jpg.4c735ebdf49a237eca92d3f3aaa66141.jpg

25 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I spotted this in Milatos, a village in Crete. I'm not sure what you would call it. There was no one around to ask.

IMG_4726.thumb.jpg.59afd36d3e95d3f19af2efa819d27d58.jpg

A lamp post.

Or a staple if you mean that bar thingy the boat is tied to..

On 10/7/2015 at 2:57 PM, DDW said:

This technology - universally used in the rest of the civilized world - has not made it to Canada. Instead the docks have a rough board bolted down to the edge of the dock. Very sharp dividing line as the US/Canada border. This is not unique to BC, the same was true in Atlantic Canada.

The board is hard to tie to, hard to tighten dock lines, hard on the dock lines, splintery, often caked with guano. There may be hope, on the Victoria customs dock they had both the rough board and cleats.

We had a few locals try to convince me that the rough board was better. But I noticed they did not have a rough board bolted to the top of the toe rail on their boats, rather they had cleats.

:D:P:rolleyes:

So, we’re in the midst of a national election here.

Turns out the three major parties (four, if you count the Bloc Québécois) all have made extensive —and conflicting— platform promises related to bull rail evolution and the adoption of cleats across the land.  It’s a surprisingly complex election issue (one of many).

Seriously.  See here - front and centre on the party pages.  It’s become a hot-button foreign policy issue vis-a-vis our American “friends” to the south.

https://www.liberal.ca/

https://www.ndp.ca/

https://www.conservative.ca/

Elizabeth May promised 10 billion trees to Justin's 2 billion.

NDP, no trees, but 30 million for bull rails for BC Ferries.

In 40 years when those trees are ready to harvest, the continent will be 90% converted  to bull rails.

gotta say, jagmeet has come a long way in this election.  from know one really knew who he was to sounding the most honest of them all...it helps that sikhs tend to be snappy dressers!!:D

15 minutes ago, chester said:

gotta say, jagmeet has come a long way in this election.  from know one really knew who he was to sounding the most honest of them all...it helps that sikhs tend to be snappy dressers!!:D

Orange power!

Oh, wait...that means something else next door.

23 minutes ago, chester said:

(Can you imagine a national level politician like him in fookin’ ‘murica!!!)

1 hour ago, chester said:

NDP candidates usually sound very honest & sincere. They also have lots of good ideas that can't be afforded.

That's why they have such a dismal economic track record.

They serve best as the conscience of the nation while others - usually the Liberals - implement their policy ideas in a somewhat more responsible & affordable way.

The last I heard their "fully costed" platform would mean a $30 odd billion deficit - in the first year. Which based on my 50 years of experience watching them, means closer to $40 or even $50 billion - for one year.

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

NDP candidates usually sound very honest & sincere. They also have lots of good ideas that can't be afforded.

That's why they have such a dismal economic track record.

They serve best as the conscience of the nation while others - usually the Liberals - implement their policy ideas in a somewhat more responsible & affordable way.

The last I heard their "fully costed" platform would mean a $30 odd billion deficit - in the first year. Which based on my 50 years of experience watching them, means closer to $40 or even $50 billion - for one year.

Come on, you know you want it. What in the hell have you got to lose?  :ph34r:

If only Jack was still here...:(

On the plus side, monday it will be over. Bull rails will prevail...

3 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

If only Jack was still here...:(

On the plus side, monday it will be over. Bull rails will prevail...

Meanwhile the poor bloody Americans have to put up with **12** more months of election campaigning (and by the ever-stained Individual-1, Prez 45).

Let a thousand flowers bloom, let a thousand bull rails prevail!

No matter green slimy bull rail or fresh clean bull rail as long as it ties dock lines bull rail!

(100 points if you can name, without googling, the origin of the quotes I’ve paraphrased.)

20 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Meanwhile the poor bloody Americans have to put up with **12** more months of election campaigning (and by the ever-stained Individual-1, Prez 45).

No matter green slimy bull rail or fresh clean bull rail as long as it ties dock lines bull rail!

(100 points if you can name, without googling, the origin of the quotes I’ve paraphrased.)

Jack Kerouac?

3 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Jack Kerouac?

Mao Zedong!  Seriously.

”Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend.”

And Deng Xiaoping:
“No matter black cat or white cat, as long it’s a catches-mice cat.”

They could very easily have had bull rails in mind... :-)

23 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Good - because what happened after the hundred flowers movement? They stamped them out. Strike down bull-rails! 

2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

And Deng Xiaoping:

“No matter black cat or white cat, as long it’s a catches-mice cat.”

They could very easily have had bull rails in mind... :-)

But bull rails only catch mooring lines.

Although they do chew them up much like a cat does with a mouse.

Only thing I want to know is, will the Liberal Bull rails be painted black? And will the Conservative bull rails be source from 'merica?

I'm sure they could both be schooled in letter writing to foreign heads of state by Pres Don. 

1 hour ago, DDW said:

Only thing I want to know is, will the Liberal Bull rails be painted black? And will the Conservative bull rails be source from 'merica?

I'm sure they could both be schooled in letter writing to foreign heads of state by Pres Don. 

Paint? What's wrong with good old slimy natural rotting wood? This is Green Party country.

Vancouver Island bull rails are likely safe, with most ridings held by the New Bullrail Party. Other ridings are held by the Greens, who promised 10 billion new trees.

Minority government seems to be the future, just what flavour we will get. https://www.prpeak.com/wake-me-when-this-federal-meh-lection-campaign-is-over-1.23981251

There are several interesting minority government marriages, most notably the Tory Bollards with the Bloc Q Dock Rings. A more likely scenario, and the best for BC is Liberal Bullrails with the NBP, [who promised BCF money].  Then there is the cleatist Rhino party who will nationalize bacon [a noble and worthy cause] and to suck up flies with a vacuum cleaner and send them to western Canada.

https://thereview.ca/2019/10/10/rhinoceros-running-in-federal-election-locally/

5 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

They all want to be Pierre.

• Like 1

And we know who else wants a Trudeau...:wub: or a softwood lumber agreement...bull rails for America!

19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

They all want to be Pierre.

He’s got the golden-boy brand.

How come no one has yet yelled, MAKE BULL RAILS GREAT AGAIN!  Here’s the Alaskan version of them, apparently (to tie up your truck to, to heat the engine block?):

62247CFB-6020-46B8-852D-A7B8D44EA158.png

The sanctity of the bull rail is safe  once more. There were not enough cleats and dock rings elected to overthrow any legislation regarding 2 billion trees or bull railing. The independent seat is from Vancouver and many NDP are also from bull rail country. The Church of the Holy Cleat has been set back again, despite Greta galvanizing fence sitting Prairie province Cleatists.

There are some parallels tonight from the old Trudeau years in this article from a few days ago. A non partisan article.

https://www.prpeak.com/les-leyne-is-trudeau-2-0-following-in-his-father-s-footsteps-1.23981560

RS49621_Trudeau_Pierre_Ju01.jpg

And, don’t forget, the defeat of the arch-cleatist in Quebec, who lost his seat.  The Trumpian line appears to have been held at the 49th parallel... :-)

For anyone wanting to read the classic study comparing culture/politics/sociology in the US and Canada, look no further.   It will yield valuable insights in to the deeply ingrained bull rail vs. cleats divide.  While the two nations may appear, superficially, to be alike, underneath they’re as different as, well, bull rails and cleats... :-)

649D9273-EC33-410B-AE2F-5922B4E49656.jpeg

I prefer to think of what brings us together. Since the gold rush times, they have been a part of our west coast.

Damn, urban deer, broke into the yard again. Wife saw him pluck the last zucchini from the plant and he took off with it in his mouth like a cigar...further inspection reveals 2 pumpkins partially consumed. Faceless jack o lanterns this halloween I afraid...have to dream up something.

https://steemitimages.com/p/7b4bio5hobgskW8qdPdvSqcwwJTvbiCMpGmRey1Rtd8H5qWoQrAiEy8ucPXaVs4jDJ4eLfetAYNx9iZBuUdePvg6shBL7SS8rAZEfhAknphJ3xN8vLzx7RYLrffALZmkDyEdPvdE37ccbpNZSFsYcfjpV9fU?format=match&mode=fit&width=640

An interesting review of a book about Blackfaces [New England white males] and the history of our nation anthem, stolen from the French, it seems.

https://thetyee.ca/Culture/2019/04/05/O-Canada-Writer-Book/

Some interesting quotes.

" The performers were young working-class New England white guys, just one class step above the black people they parodied, and their pretended blackness let them satirize the white upper classes as well. Minstrelsy was down-market pop, like Chuck Berry and Elvis circa 1955, and equally subversive. "

" Thousands of Canadians like Lavallée fought in the Civil War (mostly for the North), just as thousands more would fight in Vietnam. Somehow he survived the Battle of Antietam, where over 22,000 Americans died in a single day in an awful foreshadowing of the First World War. But he was wounded, and mustered out after he recovered. "

" French Canadians had flooded into New England to work in the mills, ignoring a border that meant little to them. They saw themselves as an ethnicity, not as a nation with their own territory and state. "

Ugly boat, ugly cleat. Multi thread ugly...

Clear how cleat design was stolen from bull rails by moving the stanchion bases inward.:D

00g0g_3k8EBJLi9Fm_600x450.jpg

That is a classic Herreshoff pattern cleat, works so much better than a bull rail you'd be amazed. 

Now I just spent the summer up in Bull Rail country, and the occasional cleat seemed to bewilder some of the locals. The hitches attempted on it were innovative, though not very functional. So I suppose the support for the Devil Bull Rail may come from ignorance on how to tie a cleat hitch. Watch and learn.

Those are the best style of cleat IME.

Way better than the smoother, sleeker looking cleats like this that are so common.

image.png.45f5eb3925b10b5c15ca0a17ad6ae5c4.png

Just ‘cause.  With bull rails, you can mambo - you have movement options.  Cleats, though, lock you into one place, like a stiff old guy in a suit and tie, with leaden feet, trying to dance. (You know the kind I mean.)

On 10/29/2019 at 9:27 AM, DDW said:

That is a classic Herreshoff pattern cleat, works so much better than a bull rail you'd be amazed. 

Now I just spent the summer up in Bull Rail country, and the occasional cleat seemed to bewilder some of the locals. The hitches attempted on it were innovative, though not very functional. So I suppose the support for the Devil Bull Rail may come from ignorance on how to tie a cleat hitch. Watch and learn.

Herreshoff is an icon to the COTHC. Your churches history is being sold off here. Someone unholy is likely to buy it and put it in a bar in Comox or Port Hardy...:P

https://historical.ha.com/itm/political/3d-and-other-display-1896-present-/louis-mchenry-howe-1934-america-s-cup-large-engraved-brass-paperweight/a/6001-53274.s

Political:3D & Other Display (1896-present), Louis McHenry Howe, 1934 America's Cup Large Engraved Brass Paperweight....

Maybe next summer I'll travel with my impact wrench,  4 or 6 lag screws, and a few cleats. Hop ashore, screw a cleat into the bull rail and tie up. Remove when departing the next day and see if anybody notices.

8 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Maybe next summer I'll travel with my impact wrench,  4 or 6 lag screws, and a few cleats. Hop ashore, screw a cleat into the bull rail and tie up. Remove when departing the next day and see if anybody notices.

Ok but only on log booms...:o

3 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Just ‘cause.  With bull rails, you can mambo - you have movement options.  

With Bull Rails, you are REQUIRED to mambo, since you haven't a chance in (Bull Rail) Hell of getting the lines tight. Unless the blocking happens to be placed conveniently, and the rails are covered with Bull Rail Slime/Lubricant, and your lines haven't been spiked by a massive splinter - a rare conjunction of the planets.

Now on the trawler, I have these "cleats" than look like miniature bollards. Very cute and in keeping with the fake tug smokestack etc, but they don't work worth a $hit. Might just as well have bull rails. No, actually they are better than bull rails because though they don't work, they don't slime and splinter the lines either. 

This is a carbon capturing Swedish cleat.

cleats-bow-deck-wood-strip-boat-20632477.jpg

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

Well, I'm going to Washington state with a pallet of Alibaba dock rings and a box of no14 robertson head screws...they'll never get them off...;)

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 9:44 AM, SloopJonB said:

Those are the best style of cleat IME.

Way better than the smoother, sleeker looking cleats like this that are so common.

Herreshoff stole those cleats drawer pulls, off his mom's highboy.:lol:

He also is responsible for hot tub shaped cockpits:ph34r:

Image result for hunter 336 cockpit

1 hour ago, DDW said:

With Bull Rails, you are REQUIRED to mambo, since you haven't a chance in (Bull Rail) Hell of getting the lines tight. Unless the blocking happens to be placed conveniently, and the rails are covered with Bull Rail Slime/Lubricant, and your lines haven't been spiked by a massive splinter - a rare conjunction of the planets.

Now on the trawler, I have these "cleats" than look like miniature bollards. Very cute and in keeping with the fake tug smokestack etc, but they don't work worth a $hit. Might just as well have bull rails. No, actually they are better than bull rails because though they don't work, they don't slime and splinter the lines either. 

All I can say, I can say with music today:

How friggen tight do you want your lines? Forestay tight?

I can get mine more than snug enough with bull rails.

Tight? Is it some unconscious control issue? 

2 hours ago, Autonomous said:

How friggen tight do you want your lines? Forestay tight?

I can get mine more than snug enough with bull rails.

Image result for bondage meme
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Autonomous said:

There have been many scientific theories on that over the last century.  (For one of the most famous of them, see, in this link, the subheading “Relation to Power and Control”.)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Well, I'm going to Washington state with a pallet of Alibaba dock rings and a box of no14 robertson head screws...they'll never get them off...;)

We'll just wait for Spring. The Alibaba rings will have rusted away to dust. Then we can grab the Robertsons by the shank using our Vice-Grips.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Autonomous said:

I knew it...

Now I feel better about being a slacker.

We now know that cleatism leads to bondage. Like that guy who mysteriously died, you know, Prince Andrew's friend...ummm

3 hours ago, IStream said:

We'll just wait for Spring. The Alibaba rings will have rusted away to dust. Then we can grab the Robertsons by the shank using our Vice-Grips.

I hadn't thought about the Vicegrips....

On 10/31/2019 at 6:52 AM, Norse Horse said:

This is a carbon capturing Swedish cleat.

cleats-bow-deck-wood-strip-boat-20632477.jpg

Look as though they capture toes fairly well too......

Cleats = stub your toe. Bull Rails = break your ankle. Your choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DDW said:

Cleats = stub your toe. Bull Rails = break your ankle and fall in the drink. Your choice.

FTFY

6 hours ago, DDW said:

Cleats = stub your toe 3 stitches, tetanus shot and your beer rolls in. Bull Rails =how you get back on the dock . Your choice..

fify

Special beer holder for non bull rail docks.

• Like 1

Here is the future, the NASA docking system for boats. This one here has a legacy cleat adapter. :D

715n41V4uJL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Those look like log dogs driven up from underneath.

A bit of interbreeding going on in these remote parts:

(Note the boat shoe aesthetic.)

cleat.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/27/2018 at 10:05 AM, Autonomous said:

Her boat and one of mine share the same uncommon boat name!

What's yer sign, Babe?

Well done, Margaret. Bet she can cook too.

10 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Ha ! My boat was named after a hamster.  Really.

And that name would be?

58 minutes ago, Bull City said:
11 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Ha ! My boat was named after a hamster.  Really.

And that name would be?

Fluffy?

Ms. Hamster?

Scratchy turd?

Is that a second helm station or an exercise wheel?

• Like 1

Chester.

Chester was no ordinary run of the wheel... er,  mill hamster.  No.  He was an escape artist extraordinaire and a traveling fool.  A stud.

In my own defense I will say I was in a sleep deprived state and fighting to stay awake when the name came to me. 

I had asked myself what some of the boat's characteristics were.  Cute, and unassuming yet tough and intrepid came to mind. OK. What creature in the animal kingdom matches this profile?

Chester.  Wait!  What???  That's a damned hamster.  That's just wrong!

Wrong or not it stuck. Every so often someone will ask if it is in honor of Admiral Chester W Nimitz.  How the hell am I 'sposed to explain that?

Usually I just mumble the boat was named after a hamster and they walk away thinking I'm some kind of smart ass or weirdo.

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

Usually I just mumble the boat was named after a hamster and they walk away thinking I'm some kind of smart ass or weirdo.

I cannot believe someone would think that!

3 hours ago, DDW said:

Does is smell of Elderberries?

42 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I cannot believe someone would think that!