DDW

Looking forward to the invention of cleats in Canada

Never seen a cleat on a mooring, I've seen bollards, the backend of cannons buried in the concrete, telegraph poles stuck in the mud, small posts with or without rings and rings from a foot across to these. See the source image

just a 3 inch diameter ring.  This is the most common mooring round here, though the ring twice back to the boat. When you leave you just get on the boat and stay on board while you pull the rope through. My motor boat is tied to 4 of them, two on the quay heading and two on telegraph poles hammered in the mud..

As for bull bars from the way many talk on here, they hover in the air, without verticals to brace against.

Anyway, next thing you lot will say is you wouldn't tie up to a rhond anchor...

8 hours ago, toddster said:

No,that was John Snow.  I figured the cleats were done by Canadians, smuggling them back home...

Now that's funny.

12 hours ago, toddster said:

Oh, we've got em in Oregon at state park docks too.  There used to be cleats, but people stole them.  

Nobody steals bull rails!!!

10 hours ago, toddster said:

No,that was John Snow.  I figured the cleats were done by Canadians, smuggling them back home...

ahahahahaha :lol:

12 hours ago, toddster said:

I found your cleat, it's just over the border in Aldergrove, between deepest, darkest Surrey and the penal colony of Mission.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/bpo/d/dock-cleat/6634438271.html

Here in my neck of the woods (Branford, CT) in the Thimble Islands, you also will not find a single cleat but rather a post at the corner of each float to which you tie a clove hitch. Everyone swears by this docking system and how much better they are than a cleat. "you can stub your toe on a cleat" seems to be the popular answer to why they don't have a cleat on their dock.

Every summer it is a common occurrence to see an unattended Boston Whaler lazily drifting around with the tide followed by someone in a kayak chasing it with an annoyed/angry look on their face.

thimble islands.png

thimble islands 2.png

There's a nice one in Alert Bay. I may have posted this already, but I really don't care.

alert+bay.jpg

• Like 1

But it sure does look nauti-tickle...!

I thought this was going to be about cleats with neat paint jobs and thing like that.

13 hours ago, IStream said:

And placed where nobody would be tempted to bother it.

Dunno - looks like something for larger vessels.  The (faux sternwheeler) cruise ships that come into our marina don't use any part of the floating dock systems any more - not even the commercial dock that was built for them.  They put loooong mooring lines to spots up high like that (gotta watch out for those lines) and drop their own gangway onto the jetty. Or some of them even nose up to the outside of the jetty and just use thrusters to hold themselves in place.  

On Eagle Island, the residents have these little 12 or so feet long aluminum “barges”, with 9.9HP outboards, to putt-putt the 75 or so feet (depending on height of tide) from shore to island.  

No cleats, no dreaded “Canadian” bull rails. No rings.  Even the oldest of ladies can “tie up” their barges easily.

Vertically mounted galvanized steel pipe welded to the dock or dock fitting, around which you drop a piece of chain in a loop that’s attached to the barge.  Cleats and bull rails - who needs’em! :-)

A6A75C15-794B-42B1-A474-EB23AF3CF91C.jpeg

2 hours ago, chester said:

some of those ideas are pretty cool!

Yes

Oh, wait...:unsure:

44 minutes ago, IStream said:

So you're saying that all the cleats have been stolen by those crafty Canadians?

Check Mulroony's place. His wife steals furniture...

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 1:47 PM, TwoLegged said:

FIFY.

The word "again" is used to describe a recurrence.  Your laudable goal would be a first occurrence

TwoLegged, FYI, after much delay and dithering, I "down voted" this reply, because I think the U.S. has been good at times.

Now, back to cleats in Canada.

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Florida has wooden cleats, who knew?

Must be made of ironwood or kryptonite tree to survive that long.

Something to awe the snowbirds from middle eastern Canukistan?

Antique Wood Cleat Photograph by Ronald T Williams

Screenshot_2018-08-31 Antique Wood Cleat by Ronald T Williams.png

Maybe it's wood because it was from the "Old Phosphate Dock." Are phosphates hard on metal?

27 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Maybe it's wood because it was from the "Old Phosphate Dock." Are phosphates hard on metal?

Maybe - metal phosphate salts are very soluble.  But it doesn't necessarily compute.  Here is the old Rio Tinto Company pier in Huelva - made of iron for loading sulfide ores (very corrosive) in sea water (very corrosive).  Who knows why they do these things? (Looks like it has been considerably restored since I last saw it.)  But: no cleats...

DSC_0073.jpg

You want corrosive?

My uncles company built this sulfur loading facility here - when it rains everything essentially gets bathed in sulfuric acid.

image.png.c26a52a6a86dacd92508540e570fb15f.png

This is a July 2013 post on Cruisers Forum (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/pnw-bull-rail-docking-170473.html):

PNW bull rail docking

We're cruising SE Alaska and the marinas north of the San Juans for some reason haven't discovered dock cleats yet. They all use 4x4 or 6x6 wooden rails that will give you a splinter just by looking at them. 

Anyway, we can tie onto them if someone on shore assists or if I get the boat close enough and long enough for my mate to step off. But if the wind is coming off the dock at all, it can be VERY difficult to perform that latter maneuver. 

Anybody come up with a good technique?

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You want corrosive?

My uncles company built this sulfur loading facility here - when it rains everything essentially gets bathed in sulfuric acid.

image.png.c26a52a6a86dacd92508540e570fb15f.png

Any cleats?

As long as we're going off the rails... The Rio Tinto company gets its name from the Rio Tinto: a river so acidic and laden with iron and copper that the water is a wine red color. (I had a project there for several years. Got a jar of it in the shop.)  Basically natural acid mine drainage.  Boating link: Columbus's ships (home port at the mouth of the river) like others in the area, used to sail up into this stuff to kill off barnacles.  

parque-minero-de-riotinto.jpg

In the early 20th century, upper reaches of the river were diverted into long troughs, in which women and children would put scrap iron.  (Stolen cleats?) The river dissolved the iron and left behind metallic copper filings and iron sulfate salts.  They would then scrape this stuff off into big baskets, dry it, and extract the copper.

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

This is a July 2013 post on Cruisers Forum (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/pnw-bull-rail-docking-170473.html):

PNW bull rail docking

We're cruising SE Alaska and the marinas north of the San Juans for some reason haven't discovered dock cleats yet. They all use 4x4 or 6x6 wooden rails that will give you a splinter just by looking at them. 

Anyway, we can tie onto them if someone on shore assists or if I get the boat close enough and long enough for my mate to step off. But if the wind is coming off the dock at all, it can be VERY difficult to perform that latter maneuver. 

Anybody come up with a good technique?

Grappling hook.

16939-grappling_hook_teaser.jpg

16 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Grappling hook.

16939-grappling_hook_teaser.jpg

Is that the lunch hook on the end?

Bull rail slime. Not in Canada unfortunately, but on the guest dock in Astoria. All other docks there have cleats. Mold, mildew, moss, slime, and bird crap collect on bull rails and await to slime your lines. 

rG8mV9D.jpg

I want everyone to know that I have no connection to, or financial interest in Bull Rails or Bull Rail Slime.

B.C.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Bull Rail Slime would be a great name for a band.

Not to mention their great '70s concept album: "The Invention Of Cleats". Then they went disco

-DSK

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DDW said:

Bull rail slime. Not in Canada unfortunately, but on the guest dock in Astoria. All other docks there have cleats. Mold, mildew, moss, slime, and bird crap collect on bull rails and await to slime your lines. 

rG8mV9D.jpg

Egads!  Very unyachtsmanslike.  

Like a sea serpent ascending from its slimy depths, slithering stealthily, surrounding Spectra...

:-)

That's not Bull Rail Slime,

it's Chinese Cleat Snot....secretions from porous castings so cheap , they are unfit for Hyundai brake master cylinders. Asbestos mixed with pig iron with some radioactive content. :blink:

Image result for snot

Even with the snot that is one beautiful baby.

We Canadians try so hard to be empathetic to others.  For example, we recognized just how much you Americans like racing … witness your military arms race, for example.  So in order to humour you, we became your racing partner: we added that ‘slime aka snot’ to our bull rails as a secret weapon :ph34r:.  There, wasn’t that considerate of us?  Wasn’t that a fun race? :lol:

But I have a question for you: given the precedent that your illustrious (???) leader has set, may we reciprocate by sending YOU the bill for OUR latest tool against evil invaders?  Oh, wait; we didn’t actually have to spend any money on this bull rail slime.  I’m sure that this fact comes as a surprise to you, given that you spend US$339million <which is worth like a hunkacanadzillion Canadian dollars> per F22 Raptor plane, let alone the US$12.998billion for an aircraft carrier :o.  And yet our secret weapon seems to be working fully to our design brief.

(snerk)  <or in French: snêrc, with the circumflex ê accent>  … Oops sorry -- just like all good Canadians would do, I was trying hard to stifle my snicker about that matter of relative cost efficiencies.  :P

Vive le Canada.

(note: the dollar figures above are from Wikipedia -- because I researched the numbers first, and then stayed true to them when I spoke.  Unlike a certain US pol … Oops, sorry, my tongue almost slipped past my manners)

P.s, US$12.998 billion!!!  Can you imagine how many ‘Gunboats’ (and Soma's variation ‘Man-O-War’) that that amount of money could have bought?! (yes, of course the puns were intended).  Bribe us with some of those :D, and then we'll put in some taquet-cleats as an invitation for you to come visit <but I'm afraid that your guns still need to be in a case, attached to your anchor, 5 m underwater>    (American translation of an English 5 m and coincidentally also a French 5 m  ...  close enough to 5 yards as to make no real difference)

Here is another traditional offering from this junior member, albeit this time covered with our secret weapon:

884227813_slimedoffering.jpg.2195f6b03878cbb17edb8d9d82882395.jpg

Bull Rail Slime isn't a weapon - it's an annoyance, like bull rails themselves. For the most part, Canadians aren't annoying, but their Bull Rail Slime is.  

13 hours ago, J the landlocked dreamer said:

We Canadians try so hard to be empathetic to others.  For example, we recognized just how much you Americans like racing … witness your military arms race, for example.  So in order to humour you, we became your racing partner: we added that ‘slime aka snot’ to our bull rails as a secret weapon :ph34r:.  There, wasn’t that considerate of us?  Wasn’t that a fun race? :lol:

But I have a question for you: given the precedent that your illustrious (???) leader has set, may we reciprocate by sending YOU the bill for OUR latest tool against evil invaders?  Oh, wait; we didn’t actually have to spend any money on this bull rail slime.  I’m sure that this fact comes as a surprise to you, given that you spend US$339million <which is worth like a hunkacanadzillion Canadian dollars> per F22 Raptor plane, let alone the US$12.998billion for an aircraft carrier :o.  And yet our secret weapon seems to be working fully to our design brief.

(snerk)  <or in French: snêrc, with the circumflex ê accent>  … Oops sorry -- just like all good Canadians would do, I was trying hard to stifle my snicker about that matter of relative cost efficiencies.  :P

Vive le Canada.

(note: the dollar figures above are from Wikipedia -- because I researched the numbers first, and then stayed true to them when I spoke.  Unlike a certain US pol … Oops, sorry, my tongue almost slipped past my manners)

P.s, US$12.998 billion!!!  Can you imagine how many ‘Gunboats’ (and Soma's variation ‘Man-O-War’) that that amount of money could have bought?! (yes, of course the puns were intended).  Bribe us with some of those :D, and then we'll put in some taquet-cleats as an invitation for you to come visit <but I'm afraid that your guns still need to be in a case, attached to your anchor, 5 m underwater>    (American translation of an English 5 m and coincidentally also a French 5 m  ...  close enough to 5 yards as to make no real difference)

Here is another traditional offering from this junior member, albeit this time covered with our secret weapon:

Take it to Rachel Notley Anarchy...

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Take it to Rachel Notley Anarchy...

Hey there, Norse Horse :).  I'm humoured by your reference.  And I do understand all too well the sentiments behind it.  But please excuse me if I still don’t allow myself to be drawn into inter-provincial politics <just like I'm not going to get drawn into international politics vis-a-vis the political stance of that guy down south with the questionable yellow hair>.  I do this for several reasons. Most notably, because it is an unsurvivable morass. Also, because I’m an officer of the (Federal) crown, and I have a duty to stay non-political in my advice and actions. But I'd be very happy to explore (not debate) said issues over beer with you sometime (I do get down to Vancouver several times a year; and FYI I even lived in Squamish for a summer during my university era).  And I'd love to hear about your on-water activities.  In the meantime, I hope that you don't put up any slimy bull rails at the B.C.-Alberta border. :)

18 hours ago, J the landlocked dreamer said:

Vive le Canada.

Jesus, you're a windbag.  Can you give an executive summary?  Ten words or less?

15 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

Jesus, you're a windbag.  Can you give an executive summary?  Ten words or less?

Back off, man! He's an officer of the Crown!

1 hour ago, IStream said:

Is that The Alberta Cleat?

Well actually, I suspect that it might have been pinched from a dock in Texas.  Perhaps it was brought up by one of the oilfield executives who came up here?  It does sort of follow these precedents from Texas:

1463311784_Texaslonghornsteer.jpg.2b6958f476489ddaf08897738b992241.jpg Texas-Rangers-with-Guns.jpg.249c9d43944e30a8d76be7c097f78ea9.jpg

We're a pretty independent people here in Alberta.  But I'm not sure that anyone from here would have THAT big an ego .;)

For those who aren't satisfied with that particular peace offering, I offer this instead :D:

1184518423_Peaceofferingforthosewhoreadilygettheirshortsinaknot.png.6664aaba0fb7875f39fe90c1346ffb6d.png

Alberta is the Texas of Canada.

1504876544_poseurneeposer.JPG.a88a8917b2415ba37cabf569000b77a9.JPG

I’m not going to lash back or respond in kind.  That is neither my nature nor my behaviour.

What I would ask is that you kindly do the following:

• Look up and truly understand the definition of ‘poseur’.
  • Look up and truly understand the meaning and complexity of the term ‘officer of the crown’.
    • <Coincidentally, someone else criticized me for not being brief enough.  Yet when I used this term for the sake of brevity in conveying something of great depth (e.g., in regards to objective professionalism), the intent and meaning got misconstrued. Sigh.>

• Talk with me in order to learn what I am actually like in mindset and actions, and why I do and say what I do.

• Then revisit that first step, and mindfully reassess the validity of your use of that word.  Personally I’m very comfortable with what will likely be the outcome of that reassessment.  But one way or the other, at that time I will defer to your deliberations.

• In the interim, kindly don’t jump to conclusions.  I submit that there is already too much of that in the world.

Thank you.

On a different note:

6 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

To those who don’t want to read thoughts or ideas of more than 10 words maximum, kindly just move on.  My posts are clearly not meant or appropriate for you.  I'm sorry to have bothered you.

I see that in the three years that this thread has been running, I’ve managed to make the same comment each year.:rolleyes:

Nevertheless. Just got back from a mini-cruise on the Columbia.  From the time I left my slip Monday untl I tied up tonight, I didn’t see a single cleat.  Survived.  Actually, it was nice to tie up to something longer than the boat for a change.  

Hmm... Laying here recuperating with a glass of something alcoholic, I notice that my legs are bloody scabs and divots of varying depth from the knee down.  Not sure I can blame that on bull rails though. Maybe need to go on sharp object patrol in the cockpit. 

It's the fucking bull rails - kneeling to feed the line under them will either eat the knees out of your pants or the skin on your knees.

And now for something totally different...(I actually had a conversation with this man a few weeks ago about sailing - totally random and unexpected, not even knowing who he was at the time.)

I'm sure we can work Karma into this thread somehow. (I know, it’s not as catchy as the Leonard Cohen song vid above, but it’s catchy in a “vastness of time space” kinda way :-) )

9 hours ago, J the landlocked dreamer said:
15 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

To those who don’t want to read thoughts or ideas of more than 10 words maximum, kindly just move on.  My posts are clearly not meant or appropriate for you.  I'm sorry to have bothered you.

No bother.  Just don't have time for random bloviation.

16 hours ago, sadug said:

Tying up in Copenhagen.... 

Tie.jpg

Tie2.jpg

Denmark, birthplace of the Vikings!

So, if a bull rail has, what's called in North America, a 4x4 on top, is one with what looks basically like (in your pic) a 2x4 on top called a calf rail?  A cow rail?  

28 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

No bother.  Just don't have time for random bloviation.

Easy: don’t read.  

Like a newspaper, etc.  Skip the long stories with big words.  (Read tweets instead for your news  :-) )

• Like 1

8 hours ago, toddster said:

I see that in the three years that this thread has been running, I’ve managed to make the same comment each year.:rolleyes:

Nevertheless. Just got back from a mini-cruise on the Columbia.  From the time I left my slip Monday untl I tied up tonight, I didn’t see a single cleat.  Survived.  Actually, it was nice to tie up to something longer than the boat for a change.  

Hmm... Laying here recuperating with a glass of something alcoholic, I notice that my legs are bloody scabs and divots of varying depth from the knee down.  Not sure I can blame that on bull rails though. Maybe need to go on sharp object patrol in the cockpit. 

Todd,

I just checked. You are correct: this thread will be three years old on October 7th. Remarkable. Thank you for the cleat & bull rail report from the Columbia.

B.C.

38 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Easy: don’t read.  

Like a newspaper, etc.  Skip the long stories with big words.  (Read tweets instead for your news  :-) )

Easy there, chief. ;) I read plenty during my day.  From guvmint legalese (49 CFR, 40 CFR, 21 CFR, IATA, IMDG) to academic papers on development of cross-linked enzyme aggregates to the calculations surrounding effective use of hydroclone separators, and that's just this morning.  On weekends I treat myself to a good book  (just finished Inferno, about the intentional decimation of Hamburg during WWII from a recommendation found on SA) or The Sun (magazine, not rag).

But for light entertaining forum reading, it's nice when folks get to the point succinctly, unlike our new friend above.  Other's long posts (PointBread, Rasputin22, others) weave a good, entertaining yarn and are enjoyable to read.  I find the new guy very much less so. 

Carry on.

Just because someone is verbose in their posts and replies, doesn't mean that they are transmitting any information that is worthwhile. Sometimes, it's just a bunch of sound and fury.

This thread will continue until bull rails are eradicated from the earth. I ask only for genocide against them. Is that too much?

13 minutes ago, J the landlocked dreamer said:

Jammer, Bplipshitz, and Ajax, peace and love, bro's, peace and love.  Kindly just forget me and move on.  There will be less stress all round.

1338333330_marinepeaceofferingintraditionalformfromajuniormember.jpg.abc6a74b115787bacf7260746f655099.jpg

Oh, it's no stress at all to me to point out your bloviations.

22 hours ago, J the landlocked dreamer said:

Hey there, Norse Horse :).  I'm humoured by your reference.  And I do understand all too well the sentiments behind it.  But please excuse me if I still don’t allow myself to be drawn into inter-provincial politics <just like I'm not going to get drawn into international politics vis-a-vis the political stance of that guy down south with the questionable yellow hair>.  I do this for several reasons. Most notably, because it is an unsurvivable morass. Also, because I’m an officer of the (Federal) crown, and I have a duty to stay non-political in my advice and actions. But I'd be very happy to explore (not debate) said issues over beer with you sometime (I do get down to Vancouver several times a year; and FYI I even lived in Squamish for a summer during my university era).  And I'd love to hear about your on-water activities.  In the meantime, I hope that you don't put up any slimy bull rails at the B.C.-Alberta border. :)

Comments on military spending and questionable yellow hair are best taken to the political anarchy where you can offend our friends using any anonymous online name you want.

If you do make it down to squamish we can have a beer and trash talk canuckistani politics.

Welcome to SA

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Just because someone is verbose in their posts and replies, doesn't mean that they are transmitting any information that is worthwhile. Sometimes, it's just a bunch of sound and fury.

You've been reading Hapless Hillary again.

Admit it.

1 hour ago, DDW said:

This thread will continue until bull rails are eradicated from the earth. I ask only for genocide against them. Is that too much?

Genocide is such a harsh word for a carbon neutral fastening system.

4 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Easy there, chief. ;) I read plenty during my day.  From guvmint legalese (49 CFR, 40 CFR, 21 CFR, IATA, IMDG) to academic papers on development of cross-linked enzyme aggregates to the calculations surrounding effective use of hydroclone separators, and that's just this morning.  On weekends I treat myself to a good book  (just finished Inferno, about the intentional decimation of Hamburg during WWII from a recommendation found on SA) or The Sun (magazine, not rag).

But for light entertaining forum reading, it's nice when folks get to the point succinctly, unlike our new friend above.  Other's long posts (PointBread, Rasputin22, others) weave a good, entertaining yarn and are enjoyable to read.  I find the new guy very much less so. 

Carry on.

Colour me very impressed (to paraphrase/misquote the Iranian Foreign Minister recently.

Perhaps a dissertation on foreshore fastening systems for global oceanic displacement transportation vehicles is in order :-)

5 hours ago, Bull City said:

Todd,

I just checked. You are correct: this thread will be three years old on October 7th. Remarkable. Thank you for the cleat & bull rail report from the Columbia.

B.C.

I actually checked back to see if there was some secret Canadian Bullrail Technique revealed in the early pages, before the usual happened.  

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Colour me very impressed (to paraphrase/misquote the Iranian Foreign Minister recently.

Perhaps a dissertation on foreshore fastening systems for global oceanic displacement transportation vehicles is in order :-)

. . .using the adhesive obtained from the nests of African or European swallows?

I feel disappointed and betrayed.

The only possible purpose of continuing this thread was a shitstorm.  A good fight was developing up above, but now seems to have subsided into mere bickering.

I had already ordered the popcorn, so please ramp it up again 

Turns out there actually is a lot about bull rails in Canadian federal law (but that’s not the official legal term for them, and they’re not referred to as such in all the “inasmuch as, hereunto, de minimus non curat lex” legalese found therein.

Search.  Dare ya to:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/

22 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Alberta is the Texas of Canada.

Really? Well hell, from now on when someone asks where I live I'll tell them South Alberta.

11 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

just finished Inferno, about the intentional decimation of Hamburg during WWII from a recommendation found on SA

Are you telling me that Sailing Anarchy recommended that the Allies firebomb Hamburg during WWII???  And the Allies listened to them?  Political Anarchy, right?  Wow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, valis said:

Are you telling me that Sailing Anarchy recommended that the Allies firebomb Hamburg during WWII???  And the Allies listened to them?  Political Anarchy, right?  Wow.

I guess someone in Hamburg pushed Scot off a dock sometime.

Yes, most things turn out to be our fault. If you ever spend a week in Braunschweig, every single person that you meet will remind you that the bombs fell after the armistice was signed. Well, that was actually 30 years ago. Maybe everyone who remembers has died by now...

^^I can't stop watching it. Can you imagine if there bull rails on that dock?

This is a great thread.

By the way, has the "officer of the crown" pissed off yet?

He might have actually survived that if there had been a bull rail - it would have given him something to grab.

He obviously forgot the "Hold my beer" part.

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

He obviously forgot the "Hold my beer" part.

After those frolics, I reckon he was probably holding something else :D