Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dylan winter

Cycling along the dock pontoons

or in English

do you cycle along the pontoons?

is it rude?

is it dangerous?

are there signs telling you not to do it?

just curious

D

Our floating docks are about 4 feet wide, the fingers are 3 feet wide. There are electrical boxes and hose bibs all along it, with hoses and extension cords running across it. Anchors stick into the space and idiots leave dock carts scattered about. So no, I don't bike on our docks.

People ride the docks at Shilshole Marina in Seattle all the time. And there are a number of bikes and skateboards under the keels.

My marina has signs not to ride. Some still ride, I don't, I walk my bike to my boat. I got yelled at 30 years for riding on the floats.

I cycle along canal towpaths which are as narrow as a pontoon and where falling in is a possibility. Water depth is only a few feet.

I don't think cycling on a pontoon is rude unless someone else is walking. But they are slippery. I wouldn't. Falling in isn't so bad but losing a bike in deep water would spoil my day.

When a kid, I rode my bike down the pontoon when the front wheel went through the gap in the decking up to the forks. Exit stage left over the handlebars and into the water. Took my Dad ages to fish me out as he was laughing so much.

When a kid, I rode my bike down the pontoon when the front wheel went through the gap in the decking up to the forks. Exit stage left over the handlebars and into the water. Took my Dad ages to fish me out as he was laughing so much.

What an excellent dad

they don't make them like that anymore

D

What an excellent dad

D

Sure they do!

I knew a bloke who used to drive his mini moke out on the marina. Just fitted and could carry more sails than a wheelbarrow. A bit iffy when he had to reverse to a intersection to turn it.

Some don't allow cycling on the docks but have their staff zipping around on Segways.

"Pedestrian pace in pedestrian space" should be safe enough.

They probably don't want bikes cluttering up the docks.

What an excellent dad

D

Sure they do!

But today, someone would catch it on video and post it. Armchair child protection services wannabee types would be screaming for said dad's head, given his obvious lack of concern for his distressed child. Think of it! Laughing when he should be expressing deep concern while simultaneoulsly calling the Coast Guard, harbor patrol and 911. The dad would be lucky to ever see his son again.