Swimsailor

Merlin at 75 mph

Recommended Posts

I would like to thank everyone for their concern regarding our new mainsail.

I would also like to assure you all that we have made a few minor adjustments and the sail fits and flies in a pretty damn satisfactory fashion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Brian M. said:

I would like to thank everyone for their concern regarding our new mainsail.

I would also like to assure you all that we have made a few minor adjustments and the sail fits and flies in a pretty damn satisfactory fashion.

 

pics or it didnt happen ! 

glad its working well for ya ! paint job for the old man anytime soon ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good! Makes me sad she is not in Santa Cruz anymore, but seeing her looking good and sailed well is gratifying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about an attachment for us non-Facebook types?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good to see her on the water, but imo, that paint job isn't worthy and makes her look a little like an amusement park ride, and the deck house looks like something off a production boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3to1 said:

good to see her on the water, but imo, that paint job isn't worthy and makes her look a little like an amusement park ride, and the deck house looks like something off a production boat. 

I’m fine with the new cabin top, and honestly like it better than the original, but absolutely agree on the horrific paint job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure my 9 Y.O. granddaughter would like the "My Little Pony" paint job. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FINS said:

NOPE still not working...

 

Not sure what's up, I just clicked it and it started to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A final chapter was drawn yesterday in Santa Cruz with a Made in Santa Cruz celebration, sponsored by SCYC.  "MISC" began in the overcast and chilly afternoon with Jester and El Toro races down and up the Harbor, its narrow channel constricted even more by large visiting squid boats and two maxi O'Neill catamarans re-entering between sets of a Southern Hemisphere swell.

After 4 races, with Chris Watts winning the Jesters, everyone ascended to the club to view memorabilia and hear reminiscences.  To standing room only, Bill Lee, Ron Moore, and Homer Lighthall all spoke, and there was much laughter, applause, and cheering   Also recognized were the donors to MISC, and to a beautiful bronze sculpture in front of SCYC "dedicated to the designers and builders of ultralight displacement boats who changed the sport of sailboat racing."

We would be remiss not to remember the many hundreds of individuals who helped create and support the MISC industry during the 60's, 70's, and 80's, when the only thing bigger economically in our small beach town was being grown in the local hills.  Laminators, craftsmen (Alvie, KT and Andre,) brokers, accountants, journalists,  truck drivers, a new marine hardware store (West Marine).  Keel pourers (Tom Carr, Doug Brower, and Dave Wahle), sailmakers (Kurt Larsen and Dave Hodges), sparmaker Buzz Ballenger,  and dozens, even hundreds, more, across town and the West Coast..

As long as Santa Cruz built ultra lights surf Pacific swells, smiles will light up and Fast Is Fun will prevail.  We all have our favorite boats and favorite stories from this era.  Favorite boats? 505? Moore 24?  Express 27?  Santa Cruz 50?  A little known piece of Santa Cruz trivia is Buzz Ballenger probably built more boats than anyone: between 40-50 505's and nearly 200 Banshees..  In addition,  Bill Lee delivered 17 68 footers, based on his iconic MERLIN, as well as dozens of SC-27's, 33's, 40's, 50's and 52's, while across town George and Lyn were turning out O-30's, 25's, 29's, 34's and 40's and Alsberg was building Express 27's, 34's, and 37's.  As Ron Moore recalled last night, despite the popularity of the Moore 24, his most famous boat was the winged wonder, the Moore 30, which with a crew of 12 would plane in a whisper or capsize, whichever came first.  According to Ron, his Moore 30 (designed by G. Mull), made the cover of every sailing magazine of the day.

One of my favorite stories briefly lit up Santa Cruz Harbor one Friday afternoon after  crew practice aboard SC-70 #15 MIRAGE.  Owner Jim Ryley was enjoying driving his big sled under spinnaker at 16-20 knots as we approached the Harbor entrance. Our crew of 8 whispered a plot, and as MIRAGE spinnakered in the Entrance, we all slipped below, the spinny halyard tail and lazy guy in hand down the forehatch.  Jim was all smiles as we passed the Crow's Nest and restaurant goers had their noses glued to the windows watching the spectacular entry of an apparent singlehander flying a spinnaker on such a large boat in such narrow confines.  Jim waved and smiled a big grin to the crowd.  But you could hear a note of concern in his voice as the Harbor Bridge approached.  "Guys?"  Hey, Guys!"  "Guys!!!" Just then, as pretty as you please, the halyard was run and the spinnaker disappeared down the forehatch with no one on deck....Jim spun MIRAGE into her slip on F dock, and every appeared on deck, all grins  Only in Santa Cruz.

.

MISC.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think my good mate, Sol over in PA is going to BDA on Merlin this summer, I am soooooooooo   ENVIOUS!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice! We owned Moore 24 #4 - Quicksilver for many years. The only name on there that is out of place is Soverel... Yes, some were built in SC but the FL company built crap when compared to SC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Sled

That makes me more than a little nostalgic. Amazing they're all still alive. How fortunate a person was to be in SC during the heyday and get to take part in all this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't resist two fun MERLIN tales.  The first was the '79 La Paz Race and MERLIN was having a ding-dong battle with her arch-rival, "DRIPPER."  The conditions were a-typical for October, upwind in 35 off Mag Bay, thanks to the remnants of a passing tropical storm, and both boats were under much reduced canvas.

With each passing wave, a noticeable small ripple was created in flexible MERLIN's deck and would vibrate aft.  And if you weren't holding on as the ripple passed under foot, you would become airborne.

Although warned of the danger, the boat's charterer, an experienced sailor of TERRORIST and WARRIOR fame, decided to go below to use the head.  MERLIN's head was onboard only to comply with the rules, and was mounted as far forward as could be placed, just aft of the bow, in the location of the "cosmic squeeze."

Presently there was a muffled crash and much cursing from below.  MERLIN's head had become detached  and with the charterer in place, had become airborne in the forepeak, landing on a sailbag and soaking the infuriated occupant in blue chemical water.....

The other memory is running hard for the finish of the 1982 Race to Kauai (now the Pacific Cup.) A few hours earlier we had lost steering with the quadrant slipping on the rudder post and the chain-linkage dislocating in the binnacle.  We were attempting to steer with a Mickey Mouse flexible emergency tiller (everything on MERLIN was flexible) while repairs were being undertaken. The navigator was concerned he had not had a Sat Nav fix in 10 hours, par for the era and location.

Viz wasn't very good that morning as we entered the Kauai Channel, apparently headed for the finish at Nawiliwili Harbor. A few hours later I said to the navigator, "kinda looks like the peaks of Kauai we are passing up there to the north?"  Sure enough, by the time we got turned around, reefed down, and #4 set to beat back along the South Coast of Kauai, we were well late for our ETA, which was 4 hours earlier.

The thoughtful Nawiliwili YC had sent out  a small plane loaded with bags of flower petals to drop on MERLIN, and the news was on the local radio station every half hour.  Our VHF wouldn't reach around the corner at Makahuena Pt. as we approached the finish from the wrong direction, from the SW.  Meanwhile, the flower dropping plane was hunting in vain to the NE.

We heard it on the AM radio ourselves, the pilot breathlessly reporting to all listeners, "MERLIN...MERLIN has disappeared!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merlin at N.E.B today.

Could not resist to include something else.

20180530_101523_001_resized.jpg

20180530_101246_002_resized_1.jpg

20180524_163847_001_resized_1.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Tanton Y_M said:

Merlin at N.E.B today.

Could not resist to include something else.

 

 

20180524_163847_001_resized_1.jpg

Circus Maximus!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we all make contributions to the truck driver to see if he could manage to scrape that rainbow off the side of an otherwise beautiful boat? I can live with the stars but the rainbow must go. Maybe start a GoFundMe for Joule Yacht Transport?

Merlins Hat would look so much better

Image result for merlin's hat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rainbow makes it look like a girly boat. Do unicorn farts come out of the exhaust?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Can we all make contributions to the truck driver to see if he could manage to scrape that rainbow off the side of an otherwise beautiful boat?

 

53 minutes ago, Caca Cabeza said:

The rainbow makes it look like a girly boat. Do unicorn farts come out of the exhaust?

Why so HOMOPHOBIC?

We all know they are just showing a little support for the LGBTIQ,,,,,,, community.

LB15 is secretly very pleased,     apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did I say anything homophobic? No, I just said I didn't like the rainbow at least not on MERLIN.

I kind of like it on this boat though;

Image result for fuck off rainbow

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Holland Michigan, after not doing the Mac then Doing the Verve regatta, back out west for Pacific Coast  Adventures?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a big wide on for this boat, nostalgia gets pretty powerful in middle age

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great news for MERLIN lovers: she's a comin' back to Santa Cruz. First a detour to a SF Bay boatyard for a little fine-tuning, including a new rig, rudder repositioning, and return to original color....Then crew training, shake down, and Wednesday Nights off Santa Cruz beginning late March, including Coastal Cup...All prelude to Transpac '19.  Good goin' Chip, Brian, and crew!   Santa Cruz anxiously awaits.   ~sleddog

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sleddog said:

Great news for MERLIN lovers: she's a comin' back to Santa Cruz. First a detour to a SF Bay boatyard for a little fine-tuning, including a new rig, rudder repositioning, and return to original color....Then crew training, shake down, and Wednesday Nights off Santa Cruz beginning late March, including Coastal Cup...All prelude to Transpac '19.  Good goin' Chip, Brian, and crew!   Santa Cruz anxiously awaits.   ~sleddog

Why do they keep pumping money into this old girl? Must have some history like Sassy. Can someone give the brief overview in 150 worlds or less? What's so special about this toy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Why do they keep pumping money into this old girl? Must have some history like Sassy. Can someone give the brief overview in 150 worlds or less? What's so special about this toy?

 

 

oh my.

 

 

first big, west coast sled out of santa cruz, that begin winning and hasn't looked back since it started. to say a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Why do they keep pumping money into this old girl? Must have some history like Sassy. Can someone give the brief overview in 150 worlds or less? What's so special about this toy?

How about back in the 70's when it chopped days off the TransPac record it outran the coast guard cutter that was sent out to escort it in?

It hit 27 knots in that race when a Maxi like Sassy would struggle to get to 1/2 of that.

The boat is a legend in the vein of Dorade, Windward Passage, Ragtime, Kialoa III etc.

 

Merlin (645x518).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Infidel/Ragtime is still the original but Merlin was the original west coast big sled, predating the SC70s or anything like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comparing Merlin to Sassy, as boothy used to say....wouch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

How about back in the 70's when it chopped days off the TransPac record it outran the coast guard cutter that was sent out to escort it in?

It hit 27 knots in that race when a Maxi like Sassy would struggle to get to 1/2 of that.

The boat is a legend in the vein of Dorade, Windward Passage, Ragtime, Kialoa III etc.

 

Merlin (645x518).jpg

Not to mention she can still kick ass... been winning stuff under new ownership back east, and did extremely well in last Transpac.  Hell, her name is on the Transpac trophy for 1st Monohull to cross the line....  and holding the elapsed time record for 20 years.  I have to wonder if the question was in jest, though.  By the way, new owners seem to be good ones... led the effort to find the MOB in the Great Lakes this past summer.

 

By the way, REALLY glad to hear she will get her old colors back... what about the cockpit?

 

http://2017.transpacyc.com/history/trophies/the-merlin-trophy

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to wonder if the question was in jest, though. 

I think it was more "kids these days". :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

I have to wonder if the question was in jest, though. 

I think it was more "kids these days". :D

Def a case of, "kids these days". I wasn't born in the early-70's. My first offshore experience was on IMS boats in the late 90s during college. With that said, with Chicago being the land of misfit toys you can travel back in time and still race on an old IOR boat! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be off on this, but wasn't Merlin the boat that established that it was faster to go through the waves in front as opposed to over them. I.e.Wave piercing is fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

I might be off on this, but wasn't Merlin the boat that established that it was faster to go through the waves in front as opposed to over them. I.e.Wave piercing is fast.

No.  

See post #342 for verification.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

No what?

Merlin is not a wave-piercing design.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  And Bill Lee stated 'it is faster to sail over the waves than thru them'

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, longy said:

  And Bill Lee stated 'it is faster to sail over the waves than thru them'

Pretty sure he stated the exact opposite.

Any insight on this, sleddog?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always go back to my fav description of Merlin.And maybe it makes more sense when you look at the lead mines it crushed in those late 70's early 80's west coast races.  

"Minimum life support for a spinnaker" 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done a fair number of hours on SC70s and N/M68s.  They get up and go so on the lakes, they are often faster than the waves,  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is some truth to what both of you say. Merlin has a very fine bow profile and certainly goes a lot faster than the waves, so it was not unusual to put the bow quite deeply into the wave you were catching; as can be seen in the iconic photo above in post #342 it was not unusual to have green water as far back as the mast. This was fine (as long as you weren't in the bow pulpit) because the boat was so light that as soon as the beamier, flatter, more buoyant part of the hull got to the wave (which happens quickly at 20+ knots) the boat would shake the green water off and surf to the next wave.  At least that is how I remember it. Great fun compared to just digging a deeper and deeper hole in the water as a comparably sized IOR warhorse of the day would do while the wire afterguys loaded up and one contemplated one's mortality.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merlin is what we call a monomaran, it does not sail like any other “sled”. It cuts through the water and waves with such little resistance it is really special.  After 41 years she is still a fast boat and we are making it even faster yet.

#fastisfun

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great fun to read all the comments about the boat. It has touched so many people throughout the years, every where we go someone has a story about Merlin.  I am lucky to have been sailing on it since Bill put the new keel on and I can vouch for how fast this boat is. We have yet to sail it to its full potential believe it or not. New Year’s Day 2017 we hit 29mph off Davenport with a very small TP 52 Main and a shitty #4, six people onboard. We got the speed off Mike Holt's Strava App he had running afterwards and we were pretty surprised. 

We were not far off the pace in TP 2017 and with the new sails and changes we are making to the boat I am really looking forward to 2019. 

The new owner’s enthusiasm for the boat and sailing is a great combination. I encourage all of you to meet Chip Merlin, the yacht Merlin could not have found a better home. Sadly we can’t see putting the old dog house back on as it won’t make boat faster or rate better, but as Bill said some of this is art and Chip loves good art  

Boat is at Dencho in so cal now, new rig on order, solid work plan, hope to be sailing by March. 

#merlintyachtracing

#fastisfun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, biff said:

Great fun to read all the comments about the boat. It has touched so many people throughout the years, every where we go someone has a story about Merlin.  I am lucky to have been sailing on it since Bill put the new keel on and I can vouch for how fast this boat is. We have yet to sail it to its full potential believe it or not. New Year’s Day 2017 we hit 29mph off Davenport with a very small TP 52 Main and a shitty #4, six people onboard. We got the speed off Mike Holt's Strava App he had running afterwards and we were pretty surprised. 

We were not far off the pace in TP 2017 and with the new sails and changes we are making to the boat I am really looking forward to 2019. 

The new owner’s enthusiasm for the boat and sailing is a great combination. I encourage all of you to meet Chip Merlin, the yacht Merlin could not have found a better home. Sadly we can’t see putting the old dog house back on as it won’t make boat faster or rate better, but as Bill said some of this is art and Chip loves good art  

Boat is at Dencho in so cal now, new rig on order, solid work plan, hope to be sailing by March. 

#merlintyachtracing

#fastisfun

crazy for letting dennis anywhere near that thing !! j/k it's in great hands, good luck !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, biff said:

Merlin is what we call a monomaran, it does not sail like any other “sled”. It cuts through the water and waves with such little resistance it is really special.  After 41 years she is still a fast boat and we are making it even faster yet. 

#fastisfun

 

What does the boat weigh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

What does the boat weigh?

 

4 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

What does the boat weigh?

Just under 24,404 lbs according to certificate

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Circus was a great looking boat.

What's the max speed she has hit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SloopJonB.

I sailed very few races aboard C=M 66'. I have seen 27 and reported 17 1/2 average on a course during S.O.R.C. Many people have sailed the boat, they can give their version.

In the Marblehead to Halifax race she crossed the finish line so early that there was no  boat to fire the gun. The record was held for many, many years.

On the smaller Desperado 57'. Speed over 25 knots was so common that they had a tee shirt labelled, the "25 knots club".  Speed, very seldom achieved at the time for a monohull. Especially for an I.O.R. designed boat.

cmyard.jpg

Desperadocrane.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Tanton Y_M said:

Desperadocrane.jpg

Nice hull shape!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2018 at 7:47 AM, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Why do they keep pumping money into this old girl? Must have some history like Sassy. Can someone give the brief overview in 150 worlds or less? What's so special about this toy?

Dude, did you just wake up from a really long, deep sleep?  WTF

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   That's Marina Shipyard? Who doing the painting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2018 at 10:22 PM, Tanton Y_M said:

SloopJonB.

I sailed very few races aboard C=M 66'. I have seen 27 and reported 17 1/2 average on a course during S.O.R.C. Many people have sailed the boat, they can give their version.

In the Marblehead to Halifax race she crossed the finish line so early that there was no  boat to fire the gun. The record was held for many, many years.

On the smaller Desperado 57'. Speed over 25 knots was so common that they had a tee shirt labelled, the "25 knots club".  Speed, very seldom achieved at the time for a monohull. Especially for an I.O.R. designed boat.

cmyard.jpg

Desperadocrane.jpg

I remember Desparado. There was no other boat like ir at the time. It was impressive to see sailing by from the vantage of a 420. I think they pulled a couple water skiers off the back.  Sank during a Transatlantic record attempt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now