Swimsailor

Merlin at 75 mph

47 minutes ago, Mitre cut said:

To be fair Hobot I was only thinking of the safety of the drinks. If there's no drink holders what do you do with your drink when one of those pesky tack our gybe things to do.? I see carnage, spillage, potentially doom etc...

If you've taken little children on trips, you have the answer for your drinking dilemmas right in front of you!

sippy_cup.jpg.55bbc5bd10e2bcb66d07bbede81f9561.jpg

sippy_volvo.jpg.8565b80aaaa19ceeb82fcdf1bdf16ade.jpg

The sippi cup sez fordeck yet the pic shows adventureland...... collusion!!

Go the Merlin!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, hobot said:

The sippi cup sez fordeck yet the pic shows adventureland...... collusion!!

Go the Merlin!

That's cause the bow-artist had been flushed into the playpen (mast pit).

I always thought that Adventure land is first stop on the boat tour, ie the bow!

- Stumbling

We always call the bow "Reality" and the cockpit "Fantasy land"  

To each their own.  

Go the Merlin

Brian is well aware of the concept of the sippy cup.... For different reasons than above.

Frontierland

Adventureland

Fantasyland

• Like 1

10 hours ago, M32USA123 said:

Brian is well aware of the concept of the sippy cup.... For different reasons than above.

Useful technology.

Now back to rainbows...

On 4/26/2019 at 8:38 PM, hobot said:

Frontierland

Adventureland

Fantasyland

Forgot Tomorrowland - Nav station!

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 11:04 AM, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Does this pre-date the SC70's?

The sc70s are here because of merlin

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

The sc70s are here because of merlin

Yup, although very different designs

Merlin was launched 1977, 1st SC-70 (Blondie) was launched 1984, IIRC.

Very different,  70 was built to a rule and Merlin was built to rule. If Merlin is a “basic life support system for a spinnaker” then the 70 is a nice private hospital room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian M. said:

Very different,  70 was built to a rule and Merlin was built to rule. If Merlin is a “basic life support system for a spinnaker” then the 70 is a nice private hospital room.

And yet the 70 is much faster. Bill Lee will always be a legend. The 70 may have been built to a rule, but not a whole lot of fucks were given towards optimizing to the rule. 

17 minutes ago, Monkey said:

And yet the 70 is much faster. Bill Lee will always be a legend. The 70 may have been built to a rule, but not a whole lot of fucks were given towards optimizing to the rule. 

Amen to that.  The world changed and many are getting it but not all.  Seeing 12kts on many boats means something really bad is about to happen. Those were the CCA and IOR boats of my youth.  Getting into multis and the 70s changed my aversion to going fast.  When 20kts seems routine, you've joined me.  

I was at the yacht club for your beer can series night and a nicer group of people cannot be found.  

3 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I was at the yacht club for your beer can series night and a nicer group of people cannot be found.  

You must’ve missed me then!  Only kidding, if I’d known you were there I would’ve bought a round. 

On 5/9/2019 at 8:18 AM, stumblingthunder said:

Forgot Tomorrowland - Nav station!

When Cayard picked up SC50 Hula Girl, I helped him get it up to San Francisco.  We got it from Newport Beach to Santa Barbara, before the weather turned to shit. After a nice dinner at Brophy’s, we set an alarm for 02:00 to look over the weather.  Cayard was quite upset that he couldn’t get the Iridium Phone to work with the PC to download a grib file.  I had to bring it up to him that Bill Lee had no idea when he designed the boat over 30 years before, that we would be using satellite phones to retrieve information through microcomputers!    It turned out to be a bad SIM card, and once replaced, everything worked fine. 

Stopped by Dencho, today.  Looks like Merlin is coming along very well.  They should have a nice sail to Hawaii.  

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 10:38 AM, hobot said:

Frontierland

Adventureland

Fantasyland

And as my crew has told me, it is the job of Frontierland and Adventureland to make dreams come true.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mulligan said:

When Cayard picked up SC50 Hula Girl, I helped him get it up to San Francisco.  We got it from Newport Beach to Santa Barbara, before the weather turned to shit. After a nice dinner at Brophy’s, we set an alarm for 02:00 to look over the weather.  Cayard was quite upset that he couldn’t get the Iridium Phone to work with the PC to download a grib file.  I had to bring it up to him that Bill Lee had no idea when he designed the boat over 30 years before, that we would be using satellite phones to retrieve information through microcomputers!    It turned out to be a bad SIM card, and once replaced, everything worked fine. 

Stopped by Dencho, today.  Looks like Merlin is coming along very well.  They should have a nice sail to Hawaii.  

I spent plenty of hours sitting on the mahogany ply bench at the nav station of Flankspeed (SC50 #18) in the 90s.   Loran, later GPS and laptop computers made it a different world from keeping a log, shooting the stars and making "wise" guesstimates as to where we were and when and where the next mark would appear just 10 years before.

Hell of a fun design to sail!!!

- Stumbling

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jollymon said:

And as my crew has told me, it is the job of Frontierland and Adventureland to make dreams come true.

And the job of Tomorrowland was to keep Fantasyland sailing fast in the right direction at the right time.

- Stumbling

6 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

I spent plenty of hours sitting on the mahogany ply bench at the nav station of Flankspeed (SC50 #18) in the 90s.   Loran, later GPS and laptop computers made it a different world from keeping a log, shooting the stars and making "wise" guesstimates as to where we were and when and where the next mark would appear just 10 years before.

Hell of a fun design to sail!!!

- Stumbling

I remember 'Flank Steak' from its years on Tampa Bay.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 8:50 AM, sledracr said:

Yup, although very different designs

Merlin was launched 1977, 1st SC-70 (Blondie) was launched 1984, IIRC.

I remember going to a party in Bill Lee's room at the Ilikai in 1981 and there was a sail plan for the SC70 tacked to the wall.

1 hour ago, hhn92 said:

I remember 'Flank Steak' from its years on Tampa Bay.

The  majority of the racing Flank Steak did was in Tampa Bay.    As the average depth of the bay is 6 1/2' and an SC 50 draws 8', I was a "living chart plotter" during most of the races to keep her from visiting Florida real estate.    I knew where the 8 foot curve lived just about everywhere in the bay, including a few bumps that were not charted.

Offshore nav was a piece of cake compared to that.

- Stumbling

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

The  majority of the racing Flank Steak did was in Tampa Bay.    As the average depth of the bay is 6 1/2' and an SC 50 draws 8', I was a "living chart plotter" during most of the races to keep her from visiting Florida real estate.    I knew where the 8 foot curve lived just about everywhere in the bay, including a few bumps that were not charted.

Offshore nav was a piece of cake compared to that.

- Stumbling

I'm right there with you between the Tripp 40 and 1D35 at 7.5' I know what you mean about all the low spots. The owner always seemed to have me drive the boat out to the racecourse while he tinkered with the rig, etc. The entrance to Clearwater YC was always a challenge, stay out of the channel.

38 minutes ago, sledracr said:

The rigs on all of these old school sleds seems... so far forward. Especially for their designed purpose of blasting downwind.

Beautiful regardless.

11 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

IMG_1732.JPG

More fun 70'er collision picture

A62BAABD-0F70-47CD-A115-36B573511269.jpeg

51571981-5FA0-4444-9B46-FF981C2C889B.jpeg

Pete Heck went to release the Genoa sheet....

He couldn’t find the winch!

Looking around for Transpac info I found this gem, not sure of the year:

On 5/14/2019 at 10:12 PM, silent bob said:

A62BAABD-0F70-47CD-A115-36B573511269.jpeg

51571981-5FA0-4444-9B46-FF981C2C889B.jpeg

Sorry, I sneezed while grinding.   Did I miss something?

- Stumbling

3 hours ago, hhn92 said:

Looking around for Transpac info I found this gem, not sure of the year:

6 hours ago, Mr Moab said:

Pretty sure we still have that Kevlar jib...

Bump

So a new carbon rig with shrouds moved inboard. New longer open cockpit. Rudder moved 7 feet forward. Engine and tanks moved forward. And a nice new paint job in the old livery colors. Oh yeah new primaries and secondaries.

2 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

So a new carbon rig with shrouds moved inboard. New longer open cockpit. Rudder moved 7 feet forward. Engine and tanks moved forward. And a nice new paint job in the old livery colors. Oh yeah new primaries and secondaries.

Know why the rudder was moved?

Seems counter-intuitive.

18 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Seems counter-intuitive.

Much less prone to cavitation. This has been trending for quite a while now. Look at all the TP52s for example.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Seems counter-intuitive.

If I was to take a guess, it would be that by moving it forward you are reducing the aeration on the rudder as the boat heals over.   Once the top of the rudder aerates, its wipe out time.  

37 minutes ago, IMR said:

If I was to take a guess, it would be that by moving it forward you are reducing the aeration on the rudder as the boat heals over.   Once the top of the rudder aerates, its wipe out time.  

This. Top of the rudder was coming out of the water at average angles of heel.

2 hours ago, Brian M. said:

30E1BCD8-6F90-415E-A28E-2768D353F21D.jpeg

so when will we see merlin out on the water?

12 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

so when will we see merlin out on the water?

Next week.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Brian M. said:

30E1BCD8-6F90-415E-A28E-2768D353F21D.jpeg

Fuck that looks right (he says, pouring eye-bleach over his memories of seeing the previous paint job).

38 minutes ago, Brian M. said:

540F7C95-E657-43B3-ABD1-36AF5A442AEF.jpeg

Beauty photo. I am assuming the top one is boatspeed. 121 might be AWA? I guess 157 might be heading. What are the rest? I can't imagine you would waste the real estate on current set or drift.

6 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Beauty photo. I am assuming the top one is boatspeed. 121 might be AWA? I guess 157 might be heading. What are the rest? I can't imagine you would waste the real estate on current set or drift.

From the top:

BS

Heading

TWA

WS

BS

Basically whatever they got left on the day before.

1 hour ago, Brian M. said:

From the top:

BS

Heading

TWA

WS

BS

Basically whatever they got left on the day before.

'You said boatspeed twice"

"I like boatspeed"

• Like 3

3 hours ago, some dude said:

'You said boatspeed twice"

"I like boatspeed"

He'll do...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brian M. said:

Training day. Ronnie Simpson documenting the experience for us .

AD29D631-7E9D-443C-B268-40AE96797FAE.jpeg

F'ing gorgeous

• Like 2

That wake looks like one from a ski boat.

Looks like you need some more bodies on the rail! I'm free this weekend...

:lol::D:lol:

Lack of uniform white caps tells me it's blowing 12 or so and the boat is looking good.  Please post the new polars or at least a few data points.  

On 6/24/2019 at 10:54 PM, Brian M. said:

Training day. Ronnie Simpson documenting the experience for us .

AD29D631-7E9D-443C-B268-40AE96797FAE.jpeg

looks like you're heading back from the gulch!

On 6/21/2019 at 7:03 AM, bbriley said:

Why is the headstay well aft of the bow?  Was it always like that?

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Why is the headstay well aft of the bow?  Was it always like that?

The rig and for that matter the boat were, to paraphrase, nothing more than a support system for a spinnaker so there is no particular reason for the headstay to be at the bow. In any event, my recollection is that Merlin was perfectly happy to sail with the first quarter or third of her hull underwater (as far back as the mast, anyway) as one finds the low point in the next wave. It worked pretty nicely and was a feature not a bug. You would have to ask Skip how long a snorkel is required if one is in the bow pulpit during a gybe. SCUBA gear perhaps?

With these newfangled asymmetrical spinnakers one presumably doesn't even need a bowman in the pulpit.

Iconic image attached.

Merlin.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

The rig and for that matter the boat were, to paraphrase, nothing more than a support system for a spinnaker so there is no particular reason for the headstay to be at the bow. In any event, my recollection is that Merlin was perfectly happy to sail with the first quarter or third of her hull underwater (as far back as the mast, anyway) as one finds the low point in the next wave. It worked pretty nicely and was a feature not a bug. You would have to ask Skip how long a snorkel is required if one is in the bow pulpit during a gybe. SCUBA gear perhaps?

With these newfangled asymmetrical spinnakers one presumably doesn't even need a bowman in the pulpit.

Iconic image attached.

Merlin.jpg

Bill Lee quote about Merlin: "Its faster to go through the wave, than over it!"

- Stumbling

• Like 1