• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Snaggletooth

Moovie Review Threade

208 posts in this topic

My love for movies like "The Lobster" is my defining characteristic. We thought it dystopic, oddball, awesome and thought provoking. Lead to some great conversation over dinner afterward. But then again, we were both single so maybe you're not the target audience.

Sooo, I'm guessing you wouldn't like "Swiss Army Man," either.

hell or high water, excellent filmaking, really enjoyed it

I liked all the pick-up truck posse stuff. Gave me a pretty good chuckle.

hell or high water, excellent filmaking, really enjoyed it

I liked all the pick-up truck posse stuff. Gave me a pretty good chuckle.

Kind of a reality flaw that plot line in parts imo

My love for movies like "The Lobster" is my defining characteristic. We thought it dystopic, oddball, awesome and thought provoking. Lead to some great conversation over dinner afterward. But then again, we were both single so maybe you're not the target audience.

Sooo, I'm guessing you wouldn't like "Swiss Army Man," either.

The sad part is I usually like off the wall movies like "the lobster". I just found this one particularly bad. I can't put my finger on it.... it was just..... meh.

The 90's were the last decade of truly creative filmmaking that will ever make it into theatre's in my lifetime. Cable TV & streaming has picked up the talent and run with it where the monolith Hollywood machine structure still believes it dominates over all. Meh.

I'm trying to think of a single movie I'd rather watch that has come out post 9-11 instead of rewatching 2hrs of my fav cable shows...I'm hardpressed.

The 90's started with Goodfella's, peaked with Pulp Fiction, and ended with the Matrix. Here, just take a look at the flicks that came out in 1999:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?title_type=feature&year=1999,1999&sort=moviemeter,asc

I thought The Lobster was fun, and it got me laid...but nobody will be watching it 20yrs from now. Pretty much same for every other movie mentioned in this th'd so far. However people will still be rewatching Game Of Thrones, House Of Cards, Breaking Bad, The Wire and probably Better Call Saul 20yrs from now.

Hacksaw Ridge or La La Land...not so much.

Hollywood only survives these days off it's internations sales of Transformers 17, domestic markets have shifted to better, smarter, other, options.

You're jaded a little maybe :) In this thread are many modern movies which will stand the test of time. Did you not see Nebraska, Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, Rush, Midnight in Paris, Guardians of the Galaxy just to name a few? The Big Short. Maybe the ratio seems not so good but there are lots of good movies. Lots of money is going into serial tv stuff so homeland, bosch, narcos, sherlock, etc are competing for sure. Just like music there are a lot more good artists and actors out there than we will ever see. The tv is allowing more good talent on all fronts to have an audience. Its a good thing. We live in an unprecedented time where competition for viewing eyes has many companies funding dramatic arts outside the traditional channels.

You're jaded a little maybe :) In this thread are many modern movies which will stand the test of time. Did you not see Nebraska, Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, Rush, Midnight in Paris, Guardians of the Galaxy just to name a few? The Big Short. Maybe the ratio seems not so good but there are lots of good movies. Lots of money is going into serial tv stuff so homeland, bosch, narcos, sherlock, etc are competing for sure. Just like music there are a lot more good artists and actors out there than we will ever see. The tv is allowing more good talent on all fronts to have an audience. Its a good thing. We live in an unprecedented time where competition for viewing eyes has many companies funding dramatic arts outside the traditional channels.

Thank you for proofing my hypothesis. Guardians? Meh, Glenn Close's dialouge was the most blatant "I'm just here for the paycheque" since Michael Caine in Jawd 4. Not only is it bad, my butthole cringed everytime she spoke.

American Hustle is no Midnight Cowboy or Wallstreet. Pick your two favourite hours of Breaking Bad, and tell me American Hustle was better to watch. MEH.

The Big Short got it right more than HBO's Too Big To Fail...but Smartest Guy In The Room trumps them all. And lays the groundwork for the 2008 clusterfuck.

Name a better suspense movie in the last 20yrs better than Silence Of The Lambs? This generation's Tarantino? Hell this generations Michael Bay, that IS NOT producing rap video's. Film is a ghost town catering to committee's & 14yr old's from Ohio. Movies are dead, Cable tv is where the smart money and talent is.

Having trouble disagreeing with most of that.

It mostly came from a corner of annoyance.

Then again I haven't watched the Oscars since Forrest Gump beat Pulp Fiction for Best Picture.

Mebbe a better comparison would've been your favourite 2 episodes of Mad Men vs. watching La La Land a 2nd time? :D

The Shallows

Surfer girl vs. Big Shark "thriller"

Fast forward to the last 5 minutes to see who wins and how.

Then go outside and play for an hour and a half, a much better use of your time.

Easy Virtue

An American race car driving widow from Detroit meets the only son of a failing English Peerage house in Monaco during the inter-war years.

It probably would be as fun to watch as it sounds if it wasn't for the performance chemistry between Colin Firth, Kirsten Scott Thomas & Jessica Biel. If Grand Prix & Downton Abbey were to have a bastard child together in an English meadow it would be this flick, complete with Tom Jones & orchestral 20's flapper soundtrack.

I could watch it with my elderly Scottish mum and we both thought it was good.

Joy. Who'd have thought a drama about patents and tv shopping could result in wanting to reach into the tube and strangle a character or two... plus an important early scene takes place on a (fugly) sailboat. It usually takes me a while to warm up to Jennifer Lawrence but it's always worth the wait.

Saw the two worst movies I think I've ever seen recently..

Capsule: The world's dumbest and whinyest astronaut and the world's worst actor are melted together into all but one-man show based on an implausible plot of the Brits launching a secret capsule in the early 60's. Predictably the Rooskies trick him into crashing on to the USSR. Should have been a comedy, maybe, but surely surely should have self-destructed on the pad. Minus four stars. Plus one Buzz Aldrin punch in the mouth.

Green Inferno: The makers of Walking Dead try to do a comic-book movie in which the only good thing that happens is several of the actors get eaten by cannibals in the Amazon. Might have been OK if they had been eaten at the beginning. Minus three stars, Plus one Pepto Bismol.

Pacific Rim, so bad that it gets to be funny... good thing it was a free download.. and they're making a sequel..

Just saw Four Brothers.

Worst.  Movie.  Ever.

Just say no.

Speaking of the 90's, just watched 2 Days in the Valley for the first time.  1996.

Fucking awesome, of course.  Charlize Theron nekkid?  Yup.   Jeff Daniels doing dark?  Fuck yes.   And James Spader is a sick mofo.  Who knew?  (besides his Secretary...)

If you want cheesy, Snowpiercer is great. I've watched Deadpool 3 times now and it still makes me laugh.

I just saw the opening scene for Nocturnal Animals.

It warms my heart that John Goodman is still getting work these days.

1 hour ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

goodmans turn in oh brother where art though is good, a really fun and clever film

Adgreede.  He dide goode job in The Bigge Eazey to, he wase memerabelle in a so so filme.

Just now, Snaggletooth said:

Adgreede.  He dide goode job in The Bigge Eazey to, he wase memerabelle in a so so filme.

He really tied the film together...:)

6 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

He really tied the film together...:)

Shut the fuck up, Donny.

goodman is a great actor.  the big lebowski, flight....i can't think of a movie he wasn't great in.

If you enjoy reading off the wall movie reviews, look up www.joebobbriggs.com.

You won't be disappointed.

17 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

goodmans turn in oh brother where art though is good, a really fun and clever film

One of my favorite flicks.

"Allow me to introduce myself, Daniel Teague, known around these precincts as Big Dan Teague"

"Well...It's a well-run campaign, midget and broom and whatnot."

4 minutes ago, IStream said:

"Well...It's a well-run campaign, midget and broom and whatnot."

Daddey, Igotte an idee, we cane hirre us a littelle feller evan samllere then Stoakes'

"I believe it's more of a kickin' sitiaton."

Ain't you gonna press the flesh Pappy, do a little politicking?

I'll press your flesh you dimwit.  You don't tell your Pappy how to court the electorate. 

We ain't one at a timing here.... WERE MASS COMMUNICATING. 

"You think I made your life hell? Take a look around this dump. You're just a tourist with a typewriter, Barton. I live here."

Masterful performance in an early Coen masterpiece.

On 7/1/2017 at 8:46 AM, RedTuna said:

"You think I made your life hell? Take a look around this dump. You're just a tourist with a typewriter, Barton. I live here."

Masterful performance in an early Coen masterpiece.

16 hours ago, Mark K said:

Ah, the sirens' song.  As Melville put it, "There is, one knows not what sweet mystery about this sea, whose gently awful stirrings seem to speak of some hidden soul beneath."

Returning to our regularly scheduled movie reviews, saw Wonder Woman yesterday with the SO.  Chick flick, start to finish.  Imagine the slow, plodding pace of The English Patient with about ten to fifteen minutes of action over the course of more than two seemingly endless hours. The only booty is male.  The SO loved it (movie and booty).  Laughed, cried, the whole nine yards, as did two other females we knew that were also there.  I kept my mouth shut.  But I guess we've been together for too long, as it didn't get me laid.

Just went to see the Movie Baby Driver. I was surprised at the cast and how much I enjoyed it. Its for sure a non thinking movie, just car chases and criminals. But very enjoyable. Best acting as done by CJ Jones. A deaf actor playing the lead characters foster parent. Pretty good actor with emotion while signing. Pretty cool.

We're in full blockbuster mode today. Apes at 1:10pm, spiders at 7pm.

On 2017-06-29 at 7:07 PM, pbd said:

I just saw the opening scene for Nocturnal Animals.

It warms my heart that John Goodman is still getting work these days.

On 2017-06-29 at 10:52 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Probably my fav Goodman performance in the last few years was in a small indie movie called Red State.  A cross between the Westboro Baptist Church and the Waco standoff.

Not what I was expecting from a Kevin Smith flick, but Goodman was superb in it as always.

On 2017-06-30 at 10:23 AM, chester said:

goodman is a great actor.  the big lebowski, flight....i can't think of a movie he wasn't great in.

The Blues Brothers remake was an utterly forgettable abortion.

21 hours ago, IStream said:

We're in full blockbuster mode today. Apes at 1:10pm, spiders at 7pm.

Reviews:

Apes - needed a good editor, would've been much stronger if 45 minutes shorter. Also, 400lb Gorillas on galloping horses? Nope.

Spiders - entertaining. One of the better Marvels I've seen.

NB - The trailer for Black Panther was interesting and didn't give the story away, I'll probably see that with the kids too.

Disclaimer - I tend to sleep through most superhero/blockbuster movies. 

56 minutes ago, IStream said:

Reviews:

Apes - needed a good editor, would've been much stronger if 45 minutes shorter. Also, 400lb Gorillas on galloping horses? Nope.

Spiders - entertaining. One of the better Marvels I've seen.

NB - The trailer for Black Panther was interesting and didn't give the story away, I'll probably see that with the kids too.

Disclaimer - I tend to sleep through most superhero/blockbuster movies. 

You accept talking apes, but stronger horses are unbelievable. 

You have to accept talking apes before you buy the ticket. After that it's game-on.

Localle Herro - An olde favritte, fun fun moovie, Yhe backegronde ist cold war vsses 1980s commerciallism.  Magicalle seenerey, and greate conversation.  Thisse came backe into perviewe do to convertsation abotte Mark Nofflere at NYYCRW.  Marina & Stelles our majicalle nymfes we hoppe to ensnairre in life.  As asside, I dansed withe a 'Stella' thisse wickende.  Ime am smitten..... badde

:)

Yup, great flick. It was a bit of a sleeper when it came out and hasn't gotten it's due since. 

TMI, Snaggs.

There's a lot of people on this site that would relate to Woody Harrelson's character in this great movie:

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 8:12 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Localle Herro - An olde favrin, fun fun moovie, Yhe backegronde ist cold war vsses 1980s commerciallism.  Magicalle seenerey, and greate conversation.  Thisse came backe into perviewe do to convertsation abotte Mark Nofflere at NYYCRW.  Marina & Stelles our majicalle nymfes we hoppe to ensnairre in life.  As asside, I dansed withe a 'Stella' thisse wickende.  Ime am smitten..... badde

:)

Good movie. Burt lancaster did fine and riegert was also good. HeLancaster also did a good turn IN atlantic city around the same time. 

Watched John Wick sequel on flight home Ireland. Good popcorn movie. Enjoyed first also. 

John Ritter's Skin Deep I still laugh at

I recently saw a Danish film called "Land of Mine".  It is a story of Post-WWII German soldiers (kids, really) who are responsible for removing land mines planted by Germans during the war on Danish beaches.  

Haunting yet a string of humanity ties it together.  Highly recommended.  

1 hour ago, burndoc said:

Watched John Wick sequel on flighn home Ireland. Goois popcor sln movie. Enjoyed  first also. 

John Ritter's Skin Deep I still laugh at

Sleeper movie for sure. Ritter at his best though his turn IN slingblade was also excellent. The skin deep sceen with the glowing condoms IS still one of my favorite slapstick sceens ever.

So a man called ove is good and we saw the big sick which was also excellent and had zoe kazan playing the most lovable and vulnerable female lead since mariel hemmingway in manhattan. Also in the big sick was a very intense portrayal of a pakistani family in the usa attempting to keep the old ways alive in the new world. The actors playing the leading mans parents were outstanding.  These two movies are must sees for the cultural interplay and resolutions. 

6 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Sleeper movie for sure. Ritter at his best though his turn IN slingblade was also excellent. The skin deep sceen with the glowing condoms IS still one of my favorite slapstick sceens ever.

Agree. I still laugh to tears when i see it. One of my favorite lines i use with my kids is "shut up, this is a lecture, not a discussion,"

On 7/16/2017 at 9:51 AM, chinabald said:

You accept talking apes, but stronger horses are unbelievable. 

Fantasy is unkind to pedantry. I kinda got hooked on Walking Dead when my kids loved it...but generally spent a lot of time contemplating how fucking stupid all the survivor/heroes are in the thing. The modern world is filled with defendable locations but they never seem to find one...and if they do they do jack shit to improve the defenses. They let their clothes got to shit even though they are surrounded by free abandoned clothes...you get the drift. 

The episode where they were trying to build barrier walls clued me into something though. Had everybody out slaving away with shovels...but included a little side plot of one of their people dying at a Caterpillar dealership...and they weren't even there to get heavy machinery. The producers left exactly one piece of equipment visible in front of the place...a post hole digger. Auger in place and ready to go. The bastards are trolling people like me! 

This digression is brought to you by the need to slip in an RIP (or perhaps not...) for the great George Romero to this thread...

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-a-romero-pioneering-horror-director-dead-at-77-w492607

...the godfather of zombie movies.  

I just watched LIFE on the flight home.  Good flick, more of an intellectual "Aliens" remake, but still well acted and directed.  Unfortunately, I spent most of the film wondering how they were not banging the two hot chicks on the ISS and if they did get around to it, how do you do sex in zero G?  

3.5 out of 5 snaggs

11 hours ago, Mark K said:

Fantasy is unkind to pedantry. I kinda got hooked on Walking Dead when my kids loved it...but generally spent a lot of time contemplating how fucking stupid all the survivor/heroes are in the thing. The modern world is filled with defendable locations but they never seem to find one...and if they do they do jack shit to improve the defenses. They let their clothes got to shit even though they are surrounded by free abandoned clothes...you get the drift. 

The episode where they were trying to build barrier walls clued me into something though. Had everybody out slaving away with shovels...but included a little side plot of one of their people dying at a Caterpillar dealership...and they weren't even there to get heavy machinery. The producers left exactly one piece of equipment visible in front of the place...a post hole digger. Auger in place and ready to go. The bastards are trolling people like me! 

Yeah, I'm in the exact same camp as you on this.  I find myself being overly critical on movies and TV shows these days when it comes to details like this.  Sadly, I also got hooked on TWD as well despite my pedantry.  Not only do they not find very good defensible locations and use machinery to do the hard tasks - but they use shit shit weapons.  A pump shotgun or a 6 shot revolver would not be my first choice against masses of zombies.  With all the weaponry and armored vehicles laying around - I would have thought they would do better to travel in an up-armored HUMVEE or a Stryker rather than a POS winnebago.  And hello..... have they not heard of suppressors?  At least in the movie "The Girl with all the Gifts", they did a decent job with quietly shooting zombies.  

And furthermore, where was the Air Force when the Zombie Apocalypse happened?  If the entire country was being infected, you would think there would be a lot more bombed out cities and lots more craters around from carpet bombing the undead hordes.  I would think Napalm would stick to zombies too!  

That's one of the things I appreciate about the John Wick movies.  At least when he runs out of mags, he has the sense to pick up a weapon from all the dead guys lying around him.  

Dunkirk - 4 out of 5 snags.

First off, there was no way it could ever live up to the hype. Reviews were all "best movie in the history of movies" and nothing can live up to that.

Now that is out of the way, it was a good movie. A really good movie within certain parameters. The 70mm film in the Imax experience is amazing. The quality of the film is beyond top notch. The sound cuts both ways. It is LOUD. When someone is shooting a machine gun, you want to put in earplugs. It sounds about as loud as a real machine gun. This is more realism than many need at the movies and my wife stuffed her ears with cotton. Between the sound and excellent camera work you really do get the "I am there" feeling. When a bomb lands near the characters on the beach, you feel it.

The aerial sequences - to me - were worth the price of admission right there. They used real airplanes as much as possible and no movie has captured the sight and sound of aerial combat like this one. The Stuka dive-bombers were kind of silly obsolete flying targets later on in the war, but nothing I have seen comes close to showing the terror they inspired early on. Imagine just standing on a beach with no shelter and hardy anything for a weapon and having these things peel off into a screaming dive to unleash hell on you.

The marine sequences were good as well. Ships sink and people get trapped below. The local yacht clubs send old men and boys in their own boats to the rescue because the Navy is unable and/or unwilling to risk their ships.

Now the downsides: Did I mention the VERY loud soundtrack? Way too much really loud "suspense" music. Plot and dialogue, both close to MIA and character development either POW or KIA. There is nothing really about the big picture, it is mostly a "soldier's eye view" of what is right in front of you. It would have been nice to have a bigger picture with say Winston Churchill deciding to hold a lot of the Navy and RAF in reserve, maybe some internal debate about sending civilians and their boats into battle, maybe Goering bullshitting Hitler that he could take out the British from the air, things like that. Some "Saving Private Ryan" soap opera stuff would have helped too.

Minor quibbles:

Boats with multi spreader aluminum rigs in the background. Not common in 1940. The train they get on in the end looks like a car in use in 2017 more than a 1940 era car. Flying around in a Spitfire that can go through 100 gallon an hour with 50 gallons left. That is time to head home. Were no squadrons fighting at Dunkirk? I know Spitfires and ME-109s cost a lot to rent, but either in real life or film magic maybe show more than 2 Spits fighting a 109 and a bomber. Last nit to pick is a Spit running out of gas at 2,000 feet does not have the L/D ratio of a modern glider, it seemed to fly around forever and day with the prop stopped. This part looked very CGI too, I am guessing no one was willing to risk an issue with restarting to do this for real.

8 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Yeah, I'm in the exact same camp as you on this.  I find myself being overly critical on movies and TV shows these days when it comes to details like this.  Sadly, I also got hooked on TWD as well despite my pedantry.  Not only do they not find very good defensible locations and use machinery to do the hard tasks - but they use shit shit weapons.  A pump shotgun or a 6 shot revolver would not be my first choice against masses of zombies.  With all the weaponry and armored vehicles laying around - I would have thought they would do better to travel in an up-armored HUMVEE or a Stryker rather than a POS winnebago.  And hello..... have they not heard of suppressors?  At least in the movie "The Girl with all the Gifts", they did a decent job with quietly shooting zombies.  

And furthermore, where was the Air Force when the Zombie Apocalypse happened?  If the entire country was being infected, you would think there would be a lot more bombed out cities and lots more craters around from carpet bombing the undead hordes.  I would think Napalm would stick to zombies too!  

That's one of the things I appreciate about the John Wick movies.  At least when he runs out of mags, he has the sense to pick up a weapon from all the dead guys lying around him.  

Haven't seen the John Wick stuff yet. Thanks for the heads up. 

Dunkirk is solid. Why I can't quite describe for some reason. Three and seven eight stars and two Beach Bingo thumbs up. Best war flick since Ryan, I thoughts. 

I think Dunkirk would have been a lot better if none of the boats would start because sitting around with ethanol gas for a year wrecked every one of them, the Germans won WW II, and the end was a plea to never ever use ethanol as a gas additive again :P:P

Does 3-7/8 stars equal 4 snags?

46 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I think Dunkirk would have been a lot better if none of the boats would start because sitting around with ethanol gas for a year wrecked every one of them, the Germans won WW II, and the end was a plea to never ever use ethanol as a gas additive again :P:P

Does 3-7/8 stars equal 4 snags?

The eighth-star deduction was for the appalling lack of respect for the environment displayed by both sides in that conflict.

Disgusting!  

saw dunkirk today. Really good filmaking in the tradition of cinema du look in the 80s. Very real, almost no dialogue. The editing took a while to understand that you were saing the same events from different perspectives. You werent seeing a spitfire in the air for an hour but for minutes. Rylance is impeccable. The cgi is just plain not discernable but had to be there to support ship sinkings. Sound was excellent but too loud. You need to see this in a good theater. Its visually stunning and hypnotic at times especially the aerial stuff. Zimmers soundtrack is a big part of the experience. The film is fresh and original. Its a rare 4 stars on the roger ebert scale for me.

Another vote for The Big Sick.  I went because, well, sometimes you just have to suck it up and go where she wants to go.  It always helps when I have no expectations but the movie is very well done for all the reasons Chris mentions.  I think I enjoyed it more than she did. weird. 

Local Hero has always been one of my 'small' movie faves. 

Its funny, the bits from local here I think about first are the smoky loud motorcycle that comes by when riegert crosses the road to use the pay phone and burt lancasters fanatical interest in the sky and their conversations.

Glad you liked the big sick. I repeat myself but zoe kazan in the scenes after she comes back just knocked me out. Debra winger in terms of endearment and believe or not mary tyler moore in ordinary people had moments like that also for me. 

On another note we watched tropic thunder agsin tonight and jack black just wins the go for it award for that performance and downey is incredible. Cruise is also a riot. Dancing in his big butt costume...for me liking this movie is like being vegan and getting caught at five guys eating a burger. Good burger!

Agreed on all counts. Even McConaughey was good. So many good bits.

"What do you mean, 'you people'" and, of course, "Nobody goes full-retard."

Just watched a film on iTunes this weekend.  Free Fire.  The write up looked interesting and it got a 67% on the tomatometer - which I have found to be fairly reliable.

This was one of those times it was not reliable.  It was not at all what I expected.  Basically it was a shoot-out for 90 min inside an old warehouse in 1970s Boston.  So it had the annoying double whammy of annoying thick Boston-Irish accents and disco era clothes.  At $4.99 rental, it was decently entertaining, but I would definitely have been pissed off if I had gone to a theater to see it.

I give it 2.5 snaggs.  And I'm being generous because at least the technical aspects of the gunfight was mostly pretty accurate.  Lots of mag changes instead of bottomless bullet pistols like most movies show and they even had some jam clearing exercises.  

Dunkirk was excellent.......... its a must see, and on the big imax screen....

On 7/21/2017 at 1:24 PM, kent_island_sailor said:

First off, there was no way it could ever live up to the hype. Reviews were all "best movie in the history of movies" and nothing can live up to that.

Now that is out of the way, it was a good movie. A really good movie within certain parameters. The 70mm film in the Imax experience is amazing. The quality of the film is beyond top notch. The sound cuts both ways. It is LOUD. When someone is shooting a machine gun, you want to put in earplugs. It sounds about as loud as a real machine gun. This is more realism than many need at the movies and my wife stuffed her ears with cotton. Between the sound and excellent camera work you really do get the "I am there" feeling. When a bomb lands near the characters on the beach, you feel it.

The aerial sequences - to me - were worth the price of admission right there. They used real airplanes as much as possible and no movie has captured the sight and sound of aerial combat like this one. The Stuka dive-bombers were kind of silly obsolete flying targets later on in the war, but nothing I have seen comes close to showing the terror they inspired early on. Imagine just standing on a beach with no shelter and hardy anything for a weapon and having these things peel off into a screaming dive to unleash hell on you.

The marine sequences were good as well. Ships sink and people get trapped below. The local yacht clubs send old men and boys in their own boats to the rescue because the Navy is unable and/or unwilling to risk their ships.

Now the downsides: Did I mention the VERY loud soundtrack? Way too much really loud "suspense" music. Plot and dialogue, both close to MIA and character development either POW or KIA. There is nothing really about the big picture, it is mostly a "soldier's eye view" of what is right in front of you. It would have been nice to have a bigger picture with say Winston Churchill deciding to hold a lot of the Navy and RAF in reserve, maybe some internal debate about sending civilians and their boats into battle, maybe Goering bullshitting Hitler that he could take out the British from the air, things like that. Some "Saving Private Ryan" soap opera stuff would have helped too.

Minor quibbles:

Boats with multi spreader aluminum rigs in the background. Not common in 1940. The train they get on in the end looks like a car in use in 2017 more than a 1940 era car. Flying around in a Spitfire that can go through 100 gallon an hour with 50 gallons left. That is time to head home. Were no squadrons fighting at Dunkirk? I know Spitfires and ME-109s cost a lot to rent, but either in real life or film magic maybe show more than 2 Spits fighting a 109 and a bomber. Last nit to pick is a Spit running out of gas at 2,000 feet does not have the L/D ratio of a modern glider, it seemed to fly around forever and day with the prop stopped. This part looked very CGI too, I am guessing no one was willing to risk an issue with restarting to do this for real.

from what i've read , is that higher ups were holding back assests, navy / airforce in anticipation of a german invasion.

On 7/21/2017 at 11:24 AM, kent_island_sailor said:

Minor quibbles:

I thinks the loudness your experienced may have been your particular movie house's manager's megalomania. They may not control the vertical, they may not control the horizontal, but they damn sure can control the Outer Limits of the volume in those places. 

I found the lack of dialog refreshing myself, but can understand why some may not have felt the same way. It's a method of plot conveyance pioneered by Bambi v. Godzilla, IIRC.  

Sorry, I did not know there was a movie review thread so started a Dunkirk one. This is a repeat of what I posted.

Went to see this film last night, in 70 mm IMAX. Found it to be an incredible achievement in filmmaking. Looked at some of the viewer (non-professional) reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and found a fascinating response. Rather than the reviews following a reasonably normal (bell curve) kind of distribution, people either loved the movie or hated it with relatively few reviews in the middle. Many more people loved the movie although there were a fair number of people who hated it. The latter group seemed to include two sub-groups. One are those who go to see a war movie to see things and people get blown up and want the blood and body bits flying. The other group like their movies done in a linear, chronological way withe characters you get to know about. Dunkirk has none of this. There are three stories being told concurrently with lengths ranging from an hour (RAF pilots) to a day (private yacht and other vessels going to take people off the beach), to a week for the soldiers stuck on the beach. The three stories converge near the end of the movie although they diverge again in the last few minutes. You do need to pay attention though, but that is not a bad thing.

See it in IMAX 70 mm if at all possible (only 30 such screens in North America out of 3000+ showing the movie). The visual and auditory experiences are amazing and war is loud. I went with my three sons (in their 30s) who are very much of the super-hero movie generation. They were blown away by the intensity of Dunkirk.

second DUnkirk. Saw it in IMAX, too. The sound is truly incredible.

Never felt so immersed in a movie ever.

Great that many of the boats depicted in the film were from the real flotilla.

minimal CGI. they found several WW2 era war ships, and used them, too.

On 6/30/2017 at 6:19 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Daddey, Igotte an idee, we cane hirre us a littelle feller evan samllere then Stoakes'

Ain't this some kind of geographical oddity!?  Two weeks from everywhere!

Also I swear my next username for video games is going to be DapperDanMan (as in "DapperDanMan just headshotted you with the sniper rifle!").

Parallax View

Dunkirk in 70mm.

Still in shock. Amazing movie.

Last Friday I saw the Netflix documentary "Icarus" about the great Russian doping scandal .

Although, by now, most of the info is out there, it was still interesting to see how all the things unfolded and how an American amateur cyclist got involved in it all. 

Apparently Mr Fogel, as a big Lance Armstrong fan, initially was just curious to document how easily he could cheat the system and just by coincidence got in contact with the biggest doping specialist in Russia, Mr Rodchenkov.

After a German report documents wide spread abuse of doping in Russia, the film takes an unexpected turn and Mr Rodchenkov becomes the head figure in the story. 

Got some good reviews, although there was among other things kind of a moral question, whether it was ok for Mr Fogel to compete doped regardless of intention and also Rodchenkov wasn't criticized too much either.

I watched a foreign film over the weekend. Kilo Two Bravo.   It was a British film with all Brit actors. The plot was  platoon of soldiers stuck in a minefield in Afghanistan. It was a true story. 

I call it a foreign film because I had to turn on the subtitles to understand anything at all. Holy fuk, they were all from Lancastershire and I could barel understand 1 word out of 10. And I pride myself on being fairly fluent in British English. I swear I could understand Mandarin easier. It's the first time I've ever had to watch a movie all in "English"with subtitles. 

Just watched Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" sequel. OK flick. Where the first one goes through the technical aspects of climate change, this one covers the world politics and economics in more detail. It was obvious this flick was made and edited prior to the latest presidential election, with some words slid in at the end about Trump's approach to climate change as president. I think it would have been better to delay the films release to cover Trumps actions in better detail. I guess I give this one a couple snags.

Saw Atomic Blonde last night, good action flick, killer soundtrack and a great, although sanitised view of Cold War underhanded dealings at the fall of the Berlin Wall. Wholly recommended for a guilt free couple of hours watching Charlize Theron kick some serious ass and get some serious ass too...yup a little Girl on Girl. 

Theron apparently spent 6 months doing stunt training for the movie so there were no body doubles used during the fight/action scenes.

Did I mention the soundtrack?!

NSW Trailer.

'Icarus' on Netflix.  Cyclist sets out to learn doping "like the pros" and gets hooked up with the clinical director of Russian sports doping.  True story at times depressing and yet compelling in showing the extent and long history of govt sponsored cheating.  Putin, KGB creeps, defection, sudden " heart attacks" - it's all there leading up to the banning (and subsequent restatement) of entire Russian Olympic team in 2016 Rio Olympics.   The inept handling of internal Russian "anti-doping" procedures by WADA, the big international mucky mucks in all things doping related, is laughable at best.  Orwellian references abound.  Well done production.

On 8/13/2017 at 8:40 AM, jonas a said:

Got some good reviews, although there was among other things kind of a moral question, whether it was ok for Mr Fogel to compete doped regardless of intention and also Rodchenkov wasn't criticized too much either.

Missed your review.  

As you note the criticism of Rodchenkov would have balanced things a bit.  He began his 'doping career' as a runner.  Gamed the system for many years and then wants out?  Gets a film and wants a book deal too?   Eh....sleezy biz he's in.   Hiding in US witness protection and loss of family and assets prolly equals it out I guess.  

He should do a book tour with Floyd Landis.

Saw Mclaren on the plane home to Oz.

an Enzed documentary by the same guy who did The Last Indian.

great flick if you like motor racing and are of a certain age...

On 8/13/2017 at 11:05 PM, wristwister said:

Just watched Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" sequel. OK flick. Where the first one goes through the technical aspects of climate change, this one covers the world politics and economics in more detail. It was obvious this flick was made and edited prior to the latest presidential election, with some words slid in at the end about Trump's approach to climate change as president. I think it would have been better to delay the films release to cover Trumps actions in better detail. I guess I give this one a couple snags.

that one got worse ratings than the Emoji movie..

On 15. august 2017 at 10:20 PM, blunderfull said:

Missed your review.  

As you note the criticism of Rodchenkov would have balanced things a bit.  He began his 'doping career' as a runner.  Gamed the system for many years and then wants out?  Gets a film and wants a book deal too?   Eh....sleezy biz he's in.   Hiding in US witness protection and loss of family and assets prolly equals it out I guess.  

He should do a book tour with Floyd Landis.

Although it was just staggering to see the sophistication of the Russian system, I suppose there still is quite a lot hypocrisy wrt doping in other countries too. There was an interesting interview with the director, https://itunes.apple.com/no/podcast/the-lawfare-podcast/id498897343?mt=2&i=390958398, but it is more about the political side of the story. 

I just watched the movie War Machine on netflix.  I'm glad I did.  I had seen some trailers on it that initially turned me off so I had been putting off watching it.  Brad Pitt stars as the 4-star Gen in Command of Afghanistan.  I thought it was a spoof because Brad pitt sounds exactly like he did as Lt Aldo Raine in Inglorious Bastards.  

But within minutes, it was obvious within the first 5 min it was a movie about Gen Stan McCrystal, who I admire a lot.  The movie both satirized him but also showed how fucked the political civilian establishment was wrt to conducting a war and he went into it with the best of intentions to win but likely was a bit too full of hubris as well.  

It would be interesting to see what @Mark K thinks of this movie as he's written about Gen Stan a fair amount.  As I said I like Gen Stan, I've read a couple of his books and he's a true warrior.  Not enough of a politician to keep his job, but maybe that's what I admire about him the most.

5 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I just watched the movie War Machine on netflix.  I'm glad I did.  I had seen some trailers on it that initially turned me off so I had been putting off watching it.  Brad Pitt stars as the 4-star Gen in Command of Afghanistan.  I thought it was a spoof because Brad pitt sounds exactly like he did as Lt Aldo Raine in Inglorious Bastards.  

But within minutes, it was obvious within the first 5 min it was a movie about Gen Stan McCrystal, who I admire a lot.  The movie both satirized him but also showed how fucked the political civilian establishment was wrt to conducting a war and he went into it with the best of intentions to win but likely was a bit too full of hubris as well.  

It would be interesting to see what @Mark K thinks of this movie as he's written about Gen Stan a fair amount.  As I said I like Gen Stan, I've read a couple of his books and he's a true warrior.  Not enough of a politician to keep his job, but maybe that's what I admire about him the most.

Thanks for the heads up. Will check it out. There's a bit of a trend to make movies roughly based on real people but disguising them a bit. I would guess to dodge the problem of raising questions about "accuracy". If I were in Stan's shoes I damn sure wouldn't want to have to field a ton of questions about this and that in the movie. 

HBO's "The Brink" is obviously a parody of the very real experiences of the late Richard Holbrooke, and it became obvious (to me) Pickering was the main consultant for it. The series is loaded with inside jokes about embassy ops. I found it funny as hell because it's so accurately depicts the some of critters who actually inhabit the joints. Weird as fuck but dedicated and...sometimes...brave and brilliant as fuck. 

16 minutes ago, Mark K said:

Thanks for the heads up. Will check it out. There's a bit of a trend to make movies roughly based on real people but disguising them a bit. I would guess to dodge the problem of raising questions about "accuracy". If I were in Stan's shoes I damn sure wouldn't want to have to field a ton of questions about this and that in the movie. 

Interestingly, the movie is based on a book called the "Operators" by the same Rolling Stones Reporter that got Stan fired.  

Michael Hastings, the author, later became a vocal critic of the Obama Admin, the dem party and the surveillance state.  In a totally randumb/fuckapple tin foil hat conspiracy theory sort of way, Hastings died in a suspicious car crash just days after publishing a story titled "Why DemocRATs love to spy on Americans".  It was believed his car was cyber hacked.  

Thanks Obama.

18 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Interestingly, the movie is based on a book called the "Operators" by the same Rolling Stones Reporter that got Stan fired.  

Michael Hastings, the author, later became a vocal critic of the Obama Admin, the dem party and the surveillance state.  In a totally randumb/fuckapple tin foil hat conspiracy theory sort of way, Hastings died in a suspicious car crash just days after publishing a story titled "Why DemocRATs love to spy on Americans".  It was believed his car was cyber hacked.  

Thanks Obama.

My first suspicion would be one of General Stan's devoted special ops guys on that...if I suspected anything. They must be pissed as hell about what went down with Hastings. They trusted him and he burned them. Like we discussed before I think he wanted out because I think he could have navigated that shoal if he had really wanted to. He was burnt out by then, bigly. I thinks.

Ain't easy for a POTUS to get someone assassinated on the sly. Who's he gonna call? Whoever it is would have him by the balls right then and there. The bad boys know SOP for that conundrum is to get an assassin and then off the assassin....and maybe the assassin's assassin too. It's one thing to off a furriner...but quite another to off a US citizen. 

anyone see this " The Finest Hours " ?  the book was recommended by a friend and there was a movie last year..

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Meli, this is a movie review thread.... as in you've watched it already and now you're "reviewing" it.  This is not a movie wish list thread.  That one is 4 aisles over.  

OK Jeffie,

I've just finished watching "Lemon Tree" great film but I don't think you'd like it.

Better?

Yes.  See that's not so hard?;)

Well, what with Nazis being in the news lately I decided to give Iron Sky a view, as it had been in my Amazon Prime watch list for a while.  Fan funded and low budget, but worth the hour and a half.  Fun didactic.  Campy as heck, but with good CGI and soundtrack.  Unflattering to politicians, especially American ones.  Even an homage to Hirschbiegel's Downfall. 

anyone see this " The Finest Hours " ? 

Definitely worth a watch.   While most movies over-dramatize, my issue with The Finest Hours is it didn't go far enough in showing the extraordinary efforts the USCG goes through in storm conditions.   Guess it would be tough to hear movie dialogue with wind shreaking at gale force.... 

Too bad it was a box-office flop, need more movies about genuine heroes.

On 8/17/2017 at 3:06 PM, Shootist Jeff said:

Thanks Obama.

USA Today reported that in the days before his death, Hastings believed his car was being "tampered with" and that he was scared and wanted

so why was he driving it around? kind of dumb to me...

Needs a remake.

The indescribable delights of the female planet!

"Dear Penthouse Forum, I realize this is going to sound like I made it up, but..."