Snaggletooth

Moovie Review Threade

Choose to believe that randumb is a douche.  As evadent.

On 10/24/2017 at 1:22 AM, J T said:

someone mentioned "The Lobster" which I thought was pretty groovey.

Sorry for the delayed reaction on this, but we watched the Lobster based on Rotten Tomatoes reviews of being really good.  While RT is generally spot on on reviews, this one sucked dog's balls.  One of THE WORST MOVIES EVER!  It tried to be in the ironic genre of Monty Python and other Terry Gilliam movies and failed miserably at it.  

minus -69 snaggies.  

On 11/29/2017 at 3:23 PM, captpiratedog said:

Atomic Blonde was fun because of the music

Atomic Blond was fun!  

3 snags

Just watched "Adrift". Gotta say, I thought it was a pretty good flick. My biggest gripe, she was doing the noon sighting wrong. 

On 5/21/2018 at 4:26 AM, Shootist Jeff said:

Choose to believe that randumb is a douche.  As evadent.

Incredibelles 2 - fun continuatione of orriginalle, Mrs is juste as beatifulle, and Jack Jack ist amaizing.  4S                  :)

On 6/15/2018 at 7:33 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Incredibelles 2 - fun continuatione of orriginalle, Mrs is juste as beatifulle, and Jack Jack ist amaizing.  4S                  :)

Loved the cameo by da woody where he fights the racoon.

4 minutes ago, pbd said:

Loved the cameo by da woody where he fights the racoon.

He fautte tuffe, and notta scrache on hime afterwads.................        :)

Loved the original and liked this one too. Saw the preview for Wreck It Ralph 2 and can't wait to miss it. An exercise in making a movie entirely out of product placement shots.

On the other hand, I can't wait for the Lego Movie 2, The Second Part. 

do you know how hard it is to find a thread that Snags has started.. ?

saw two

Christopher Robin :   2.5 snags,   predictable,  cgi top notch...  something on the lines of Hook with robin williams -   plot line. ewan mcgregors acting saves this one...   

Crazy Rich Asians -  3 snags,  date movie , rom-com, 

On 8/25/2018 at 2:51 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

do you know how hard it is to find a thread that Snags has started.. ? 

yes! :lol:

The Old Man and the Gun

Robert Redford's last film. A true story of a bank robber still not retired in his 70s. Along with Danny Glover, Casey Afleck and Sissy Spacek.

Not a fast-paced movie but still very good.

• Like 2

I went to Aquaman with the in-laws on a rainy Friday and it was get-me-outta-here bad in every possible way. If I had to pick peak stupid, it would be the sunlight, waterfalls, and dinosaurs at the Earth's core. The cherry on top came just when I thought it was over and I could escape: the song over the closing credits kept proclaiming that "everything happens for a reason."

Joe Bob sez: dumb enough to laugh at but don't go willingly

3 hours ago, IStream said:

Joe Bob sez: dumb enough to laugh at but don't go willingly

My frendes wife maide hime go, she hase a crushe on leede guye.                              :)

They definitely played up his physical assets. As for the female lead, Amber Heard, I was amazed that a woman with her looks could be so unattractive.

I really got a kick out of Vice. Although the mere mention of that flick might get this whole thread kicked over to PA!

I rented Bad Times at the El Royale this weekend.  Not theater worth (few are) but highly enjoyable.

Netflix flick The Birdbox

great fucking way to spend a couple of hours

4 Snags

25 minutes ago, pbd said:

4 Snags

Good lord that movie was stupid as shit.

like when they’re in a house 5 years later and there’s working utilities, edible pop tarts, and cars driving around.  Then there’s the going down a river for 2 days blindfolded through rapids.

So bad it was good.

It's already out of theaters, but if you haven't seen it - watch Hunter-Killer.  Great modern Submarine movie in the spirit of Hunt for Red October.  Good intrigue and good action flick.  3.5 Snags.

Recently watched Mile 22 on iTunes.  Non-stop preaching by Mark Wahlberg about the evils of government.  I hate preachy movies although the gun fight scenes were really well done.  1.5 snags

Three Billboards.

Disconnect from reality.  Women burns down the cop shop with Molotov cocktails and no one seems interested in who did that.

Disappointing plot, formulaic acting, 2.5 snags

21 hours ago, wristwister said:

I really got a kick out of Vice. Although the mere mention of that flick might get this whole thread kicked over to PA!

Generally weak, but with two stand-out clever moments, the false credit sequence in the middle and the pseudo-Shakespeare scene.  Spectacularly bad casting of Steve Carell playing ... Steve Carell, instead of Donald Rumsfeld.  The images over the credits were clever too, but overall a weak effort.  1 snag.

something about a Green Door :lol:

On 1/2/2019 at 9:35 PM, Fakenews said:

4 Snags

Thought the director and Sandra Bullock as mamma bear caught the tension well.   But like most Netflix originals, the formula of putting a couple fading A-listers in a story with narrow scope just makes me feel "meh".   People/critics panned "The Happening", yet Bird Box is the toast of social media... I don't get it ;)

On 6/2/2018 at 8:24 AM, wristwister said:

Just watched "Adrift". Gotta say, I thought it was a pretty good flick. My biggest gripe, she was doing the noon sighting wrong. 

Yeah, I just saw that on the flight back from Jakarta.  Much better than I thought it would be.  4 Snags.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:59 PM, Fakenews said:

I rented Bad Times at the El Royale this weekend.  Not theater worth (few are) but highly enjoyable.

Wrttere is trynge to harde be licke QT, butte lacks guttes to go fulle gonzo.  Onley rewardeng mommenttes when Billey Lee & criew gette capped, and that thoise to gotte oute.

1S

And botheres me that JH keepes workeng in crappey moovies, mabey he wassente 'alle that' aftere alle

26 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Wrttere is trynge to harde be licke QT, butte lacks guttes to go fulle gonzo.  Onley rewardeng mommenttes when Billey Lee & criew gette capped, and that thoise to gotte oute.

1S

And botheres me that JH keepes workeng in crappey moovies, mabey he wassente 'alle that' aftere alle

Yeah now that you mention it there were some QT overtones.  Wasn’t pulp fiction but still not terrible.

^ it's definitely a QT derivative work, you feel it right away. Then again one could say that QT is just a derivative of Shakespeare...  fucked upped, intertwined, separate narratives where most everybody dies!  

For some reason I saw Aquaman.. How many different movies was that?? So dis-jointed, a mess. I know it is just a stupid comic movie, but wow it was bad.

3 hours ago, Liquid said:

^ it's definitely a QT derivative work, you feel it right away. Then again one could say that QT is just a derivative of Shakespeare...  fucked upped, intertwined, separate narratives where most everybody dies!  

I nevere rellized that.              :)

On 1/2/2019 at 9:35 PM, Fakenews said:

Good lord that movie was stupid as shit.

like when they’re in a house 5 years later and there’s working utilities, edible pop tarts, and cars driving around.  Then there’s the going down a river for 2 days blindfolded through rapids.

So bad it was good.

The Netfliz movie Birdshit 

Predictable, mediocre horror flick. 

Totally Formulaic =

1. Start with group of people trapped by some unimaginable horror that you cant see.   Creepy noises, wind stirs bushes and branches, dark shadow crosses the shades blah blah.

2. Whittle down the group one by one as they make mistakes and get killed by said unimaginable horror

3. Leave the nicest guy to die last....but only after falling in love with nicest woman and obligatory awfully directed sex scene 

4. Women and child escape to some totally unrealistic eden.

No clever twists to plot. They stick to the formula like clockwork. No original thoughts or genuine imagination about what the consequences of a collapse in society might actually look like.  You do not go away from this movie thinking "Huh, that was a good angle", in fact you dont go away thinking at all.

So bad, it was bad -1 S.

Superb promotion and manipulation of social media by Netflix, who are getting so good at this that they can turn anything into a "must watch"

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs by the Cohen Brothers distributed by Netflix.

The same Cohen Brothers who made top 10 movies such as: No Country for Old Men,  The Big Lebowski and Fargo, (all 5/5 must see movies)

Then there is this.  Whoaa....where did this come from?

How to sum up, The Balllad of Buster Scruggs?   Black comedy. Weird but strangely good + weird and strangely bad. But ultimately very watchable and a different way to spend a Friday evening. 6 short unrelated movies like an anthology of short stories. It starts off with the short title movie. Its strange and I will let you decide if it is annoyingly strange or just funny.  But hang in for three of the next six stories.  James Franco is superb as the bank robber with one of the best lines in any movie so far this year "Your first time?"  .Tom Waits......yes Tom Waits the songwriter/singer....is superb as a gold prospector.

I score it 4/5 because it is so different but scores for each short will range from 1S (are you kidding me?) to 4S (chuckle...brilliant) depending on your taste.

On 1/8/2019 at 5:34 PM, Mambo Kings said:

The same Cohen Brothers who made top 10 movies such as: No Country for Old Men,  The Big Lebowski and Fargo, (all 5/5 must see movies)

Then there is this.  Whoaa....where did this come from?

How to sum up, The Balllad of Buster Scruggs?   Black comedy. Weird but strangely good + weird and strangely bad. But ultimately very watchable and a different way to spend a Friday evening. 6 short unrelated movies like an anthology of short stories. It starts off with the short title movie. Its strange and I will let you decide if it is annoyingly strange or just funny.  But hang in for three of the next six stories.  James Franco is superb as the bank robber with one of the best lines in any movie so far this year "Your first time?"  .Tom Waits......yes Tom Waits the songwriter/singer....is superb as a gold prospector.

I score it 4/5 because it is so different but scores for each short will range from 1S (are you kidding me?) to 4S (chuckle...brilliant) depending on your taste.

++11111

Pure Cohen Brothers.  Never a dull moment.  Mostly good. One skit (I shall not say which) was a "huh?".  Compared to most of the formulaic claptrap like Birdbox, definitely worth watching.

Easte of Eden - I wase tottalley suckte in my teenes.  Theire wearer topices I juste diddente undestande, and discuste withe my mom.  EK didde gretae jo b with theisse.  On rewacheng the saime feellengs come floodeng back.                         4S

Winters Bone.  One of Jennifer Lawrence’s first starring roles.  About a late teen taking care of younger siblings and a mentally not there mom while fighting for her home in the meth afflicted Osark’s.  Stripped down and bleak.  3 stars.

Next rental be  will the “the house that jack built” with Matt Dillon.

I watched "Inheritance" last night after my wife recommended it to me. Super-creepie horror movie with lots of layers and a great performance by Toni Collette and the two actors who played her kids. Bonus: it's free on Amazon for Prime members. A sold four Snagges out of five if you like horror.

18 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Winters Bone.  One of Jennifer Lawrence’s first starring roles.  About a late teen taking care of younger siblings and a mentally not there mom while fighting for her home in the meth afflicted Osark’s.  Stripped down and bleak.  3 stars.

Winter's Bone is 4 stars.  

Hardscrabble pride:  "Never ask for what should be offered".

19 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Yeah, I saw Winter's Bone a while back.  Bleak, bleak, bleak.  JL was good in her role, but I just wanted to slit my wrists after watching that movie.  

6 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

JL was good in her role, but I just wanted to slit my wrists after watching that movie.  

So, woude that be to snaggs?                                                  :)

10 hours ago, IStream said:

I watched "Inheritance" last night after my wife recommended it to me. Super-creepie horror movie with lots of layers and a great performance by Toni Collette and the two actors who played her kids. Bonus: it's free on Amazon for Prime members. A sold four Snagges out of five if you like horror.

Dammit, it's not called "Inheritance", it's called "Hereditary". Scared me so bad I didn't want to remember the name...

Something got me thinking about The Man who Would Be King. Still one of my all time favorites. Michael Caine and Sean Connery.  5 Snags

A few decades ago the word "epic" would have been appropriate, now it doesn't do it justice.

• Like 1

The Sisteres Brotheres - Atypicalle cowboy storrey, hirred killeres gette cautte up in revolutionarrey golde hunte.  Paste life comes backe with a vengense upsetting niewley resset plans.  Fun, quirkey actione, goode acteng alle aronde with John C. Reilley at hisse finnest.

3.5 S                                :)

Waiting for the Superbowl and scrolling through the channels I happened upon Tammy with Melissa McCarthy and Susan Sarandon.

OMFG, I hope it's not the Jack Daniels making this movie freaking hilarious 'cause I'm actually laughing out loud!

It is kinda sobering seeing Sarandon playing a blue haired granny though. She's younger than me. Until today I still saw her in my mind's eye as she looked in Joe, Thelma and Louise and Bull Durham.

Hope I die before I get old.

Saw Velvert Buzzsaw.  It’s a little surreal but very good cast and excellent cinematography (great use of color). Good twist on horror.  Solid 3 out of 4 Snags.

4 hours ago, Willin' said:

Hope I die before I get old.

Notte be the dicke, butte it mabey to latte.                                      :)

35 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Notte be the dicke, butte it mabey to latte.                                      :)

You may be right. I'll check back in another 20 or 30 years and let ya know.

I saw The Green Book today and was pleasantly surprised... I had no expectations other than to kill time before the SB and see a movie my wife had on her list... it was well done without any saving the world social political undertones 

not a movie..Italian TV series. The Mafia only kills in summer.

Set in Palermo in the  late 70's and narrated by the grown uo voice of a 10 year old growing up with the growing realization of the Mafia that surround everything in his life. It funny, serious and a great series. Based on the film and dedicated to those who fought and still fight the Mafia.

https://cineuropa.org/en/newsdetail/319867

On 8/25/2018 at 3:51 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

do you know how hard it is to find a thread that Snags has started.

Let alone one with a correctly spelled word in the thread title...

On 2/3/2019 at 9:23 PM, basketcase said:

so, i downloaded 'the mercy'. a really good take on the story of Donald Crowhurst . if you can find it, give it a look.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3319730/

Here is my take on The Mercy (previously posted in a thread in CA). If someone liked All is Lost, they might like The Mercy.

On 12/30/2018 at 12:16 AM, oldgoatroper said:

Green Book

Excellent movie, well worth the watch...

and based on a true story, as well...

We've been meaning to see that for a long time. Finally went last night. Best movie I've seen in a long time. Well crafted characters, good story line (even if predictable), top notch acting.  A great feel good, redemption movie. I love redemption movies. (I still watch Remember the Titans sometimes)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, QBF said:

Here is my take on The Mercy (previously posted in a thread in CA). If someone liked All is Lost, they might like The Mercy.

So...... you didn't like it? 

6 hours ago, On The Hard said:

We've been meaning to see that for a long time. Finally went last night. Best movie I've seen in a long time. Well crafted characters, good story line (even if predictable), top notch acting.  A great feel good, redemption movie. I love redemption movies. (I still watch Remember the Titans sometimes)

Green book +1.

Free Solo - Alex Harnnold’s climb of El Capitan (no rope, no harness, no safety equipment at all).

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/films/free-solo/

I am not really interested in movies on rock climbing, this one is an exception. However, I really enjoy watching movies of actual expeditions to 8,000 meter peaks such as K2, Kanchenjunga, and Nanga Parbat

Nevertheless, Free Solo is an outstanding documentary. If heights make you squeamish, you might want to wear your “adult diapers” before seeing this movie.

Free Solo is up for an Academy Award this month

I give this documentary four SNAGs!

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

That acticualley sondes verrey coolle!  TY                             :)

Here is a teaser of what you will see...

freesolomovie1500.jpg

The Leisure Seeker with Donald Sutherland and Helen Mirren! Very good movie covering the end game for the elderly with sensitivity and humor. I just went through this with my Dad and Sutherland had me tearing up a little, he nailed the dementia so accurately.

Four Stars

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

Snags can we expand this to Netflix series.  Some really good one out there...

Plesae feelle free, woude love to hearer it.

17 hours ago, QBF said:

Here is a teaser of what you will see...

freesolomovie1500.jpg

Great movie. I actually paid to see it in a theatre. Worth the money to see it on the big screen. I check online every once in a while to see if Alex is still alive.

I really don't like super hero movies but Deadpool 2 was excellent, as was DP 1. It's the only comic franchise I'll ever watch anymore.

5 snags

I seem to be on a Kiwi movie run after watching Thor: Ragnarok yet again.

I bought and watched this on iTunes a few days ago. It was so awesome and funny!

Last night I streamed "What We Do in the Shadows" on Prime Video, which was fun. They are making a series soon too.

Next up is "Hunt for the Wilderpeople":

We watched "The Guilty" last night (Amazon video).  It's in Danish, with subtitles.  The whole film takes place in an emergency call-center, 98% of the time the camera is close-up on the main character's face.  Riveting.

I watched Crazy Rich Asians on a plane last week.  Can't give it more than 2 snaggies 'cause the premise (lovers from different places overcome and live happily ever after) is about as done a concept as there is BUT, Ken Jeong was funny as hell AND the music was surprisingly fantastic.  Notable was a malaysian singer's acoustic, english version of "i can't help falling in love" and a chinese language cover of Coldplay's "Yellow".

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:34 PM, Mambo Kings said:

Plusse Oune!  MK you nailed it fore me, it wase juste a "ist that it?" feste.                    :)

On 2/27/2019 at 2:34 AM, QBF said:

For those who are interested in seeing Free Solo, in the United States, it has its Network Premiere on Sunday, March 3, at 9:00 pm Eastern/8:00pm Central time on the National Geographic TV channel.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/films/free-solo

But you should see it on the Big Screen if you can.  It's worth a trip to the theater.

• Like 1

I saw the ballad of BS, a few of the short stories were good but the others were really F'd up.

Go see Green Book. I just saw it and it was one of the best movies I have recently seen. Glad it won the best movie award. Viggo was great.

Amazon Prime: Thud Pilots. 4 snags if your into aviation

The story of how the F-105 went from a cold war mission in Europe to the tip of the spear over Vietnam and how the US gov't ROEs fucked them over (weren't allowed to  bomb enemy airfields). Seems it was a universally loved aircraft. Also some really great rescues stories.

18 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Amazon Prime: Thud Pilots. 4 snags if your into aviation

The story of how the F-105 went from a cold war mission in Europe to the tip of the spear over Vietnam and how the US gov't ROEs fucked them over (weren't allowed to  bomb enemy airfields). Seems it was a universally loved aircraft. Also some really great rescues stories.

i don't think it was airfields, as they barely had any airforce...  it was the SAM sights..

but back to movies..    Mary Poppins Return  (my wife has a severe range of movies she'll watch)     was excruitiatingly bad , the songs sucked, emily blunt sucked..  the whole movie sucked.. and finally when you think the thinly veiled plot is over, they tack on another 10 minutes of another sucky song...     my wife liked it..

16 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

iMary Poppins Return  (my wife has a severe range of movies she'll watch)     was excruitiatingly bad , the songs sucked, emily blunt sucked..  the whole movie sucked.. and finally when you think the thinly veiled plot is over, they tack on another 10 minutes of another sucky song.

But other than that, it was OK?

Netflix series

The Ozarks.  

Supremely bingeable. Story involves a financial planner who gets involved with the Mexican cartel laundering money. One day his partner gets whacked cause he was skimming money of the top.  The mobster offers a chance to save his and his family’s lives.  Launder $500m in five years.  Long story is they move to the sarks and try to blend in while busily laundering piles of cash.  Some of the local criminal types catch on as does the FBI and a casino delevoper. All the while the cartel is ready to whack them if anything goes wrong.

Very well acted with an ensemble cast headed by Justin Bateman at his deadpan best.

5 snags. 

Some other good ones for Someone to review  are “Safe” (the dexter guy) and “Body Gaurd”.  Both British.

On Amazon Prime “Goliath” with Billy Bob is really good.

27 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Netflix series

The Ozarks.  

Supremely bingeable. Story involves a financial planner who gets involved with the Mexican cartel laundering money. One day his partner gets whacked cause he was skimming money of the top.  The mobster offers a chance to save his and his family’s lives.  Launder $500m in five years.  Long story is they move to the sarks and try to blend in while busily laundering piles of cash.  Some of the local criminal types catch on as does the FBI and a casino delevoper. All the while the cartel is ready to whack them if anything goes wrong.

Very well acted with an ensemble cast headed by Justin Bateman at his deadpan best.

5 snags. 

Some other good ones for Someone to review  are “Safe” (the dexter guy) and “Body Gaurd”.  Both British.

On Amazon Prime “Goliath” with Billy Bob is really good.

+1 on The Ozarks. Not unlike Game of Thrones, at the end of the second season the focus of the show changed from Bateman and the other male characters to Laura Linney and the other female characters. Season 3 should be interesting.

I watched all of Body Guard but with the exception of the first episode, it didn't live up to the hype for me. 

21 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I saw the ballad of BS, a few of the short stories were good but the others were really F'd up.

" I shouda seene that commeng"                     - BS -                                     :)

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:34 AM, QBF said:

For those who are interested in seeing Free Solo, in the United States, it has its Network Premiere on Sunday, March 3, at 9:00 pm Eastern/8:00pm Central time on the National Geographic TV channel.

10 mins!                                  :)

47 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

10 mins!                                  :)

Sannie is prettey.                                       :)

12 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Sannie is prettey.                                       :)

HeadshotE+(1).JPG?format=750w

:)

The Shape Of Water

I realize that a lot of people liked this movie, but here is my review.

Having watched few movies from major studio's (Hollywood for example) that have been made in the past decade or so, I watched the movie, The Shape Of Water.

Unfortunately, I should have read the reviews first as I would have learned beforehand that Elisa, the Mute woman, teaches the "Creature From the Black Lagoon" to use sign language, enjoy music, and use a fork while eating. Elisa then has sex with the man-fish.

Professional film critics seem to have loved this film, with many reviews going on about the esoteric nature of the film, the symbolism, etc, etc, etc...

For example:

* "The Shape Of Water is "a swooning romantic melodrama that reshapes the mythical themes of Beauty and the Beast."

* NPR's reviewer: "The Shape Of Water is a romantic fable told in soft greens and blues, visual splendour, how difficult it is to gracefully present the sex life of a woman and a fish-man."

* Another critic said the movie has "Strong undercurrents, of the silent pathos of Keaton and Chaplin, interspersed with bouts of musical fantasy, including an audacious Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers-style dance routine that mirrors the monochrome dance designs of the film, Follow the Fleet."

Those reviews are right out of the clips one sees on new Turner Classic Movies (TCM) promotions that show "everyday" people talking about films while TCM tries to get people to join their Wine Club.

To be honest, I am not one for highbrow movie reviews. Unfortunately I found the following review too late, as I had already watched The Shape of Water.

https://observer.com/2017/12/review-sally-hawkins-sinks-in-guillermo-del-toros-the-shape-of-water

Personally, I think this movie might well have been called, "The Creature From the Black Lagoon, Gets Some."

I give The Shape of Water one SNAG for very nice cinematography.

Sex Scene

Bathtub.jpg.3b6ca162bf00cc7885e40b918242c657.jpg

Dance Sequence (Yes, this dance sequence is actually in the movie!)

2076306213_DanceRoutine.jpg.a1b65b86b5740660b567c1ed3a53b665.jpg

^^That was 2 hours I'll never get back.

I couldn't finish Ladybird either

Critics are especially hard on comedies. Nowadays, if critics hate it, I'm intrigued.

Not sure if these belong in this thread, but I was just thinking about movies featuring comedians in a (at least semi-) serious role.  And that were surprisingly good.  Here are some that I particularly liked:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind -- starring Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet (plus a lot of excellent supporting actors).  Some friends of mine were expecting a goofy Jim Carrey movie, or a weird Sci-Fi film, and it had those elements in small traces, but ultimately it was a wonderful movie that explored love, expectations, fate, emotional pain, and more.  You know, life.

Punch Drunk Love -- starring Adam Sandler and Emily Watson, with a great supporting role by Philip Seymour Hoffman.  Adam Sandler was recognizably himself, but he pulled off a portrayal of a psychologically troubled small businessman who manages to find love.  This film is funny and touching. 

Funny People -- starring Adam Sandler, Seth Rogan, and Leslie Mann, plus Jonah Hill, Jason Schwartzman, and others.  Sandler plays himself as an actual human being who is a famous comedian, and Rogan plays an aspiring young comic who ends up being Sandler's assistant for a while.  There's plenty of heartfelt drama, some good laughs, and it's fun to see the Sandler character as he admits to himself how painfully stupid the comedies are that made his name and his fortune.  It's a buddy movie with some pretty dark elements amidst the jokes.

8 hours ago, valis said:

Not sure if these belong in this thread, but I was just thinking about movies featuring comedians in a (at least semi-) serious role.  And that were surprisingly good.  Here are some that I particularly liked:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind -- starring Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet (plus a lot of excellent supporting actors).  Some friends of mine were expecting a goofy Jim Carrey movie, or a weird Sci-Fi film, and it had those elements in small traces, but ultimately it was a wonderful movie that explored love, expectations, fate, emotional pain, and more.  You know, life.

Punch Drunk Love -- starring Adam Sandler and Emily Watson, with a great supporting role by Philip Seymour Hoffman.  Adam Sandler was recognizably himself, but he pulled off a portrayal of a psychologically troubled small businessman who manages to find love.  This film is funny and touching. 

Funny People -- starring Adam Sandler, Seth Rogan, and Leslie Mann, plus Jonah Hill, Jason Schwartzman, and others.  Sandler plays himself as an actual human being who is a famous comedian, and Rogan plays an aspiring young comic who ends up being Sandler's assistant for a while.  There's plenty of heartfelt drama, some good laughs, and it's fun to see the Sandler character as he admits to himself how painfully stupid the comedies are that made his name and his fortune.  It's a buddy movie with some pretty dark elements amidst the jokes.

+1 on the first two, haven't seen the third as I'm getting allergic to Judd Apatow movies. They all seem to be at least 30 minutes too long. No editorial discipline.

Another "comedian in a different role" movie I like is Zero Effect with Ben Stiller. He plays second fiddle to Bill Pullman. A great little sleeper.

If you like Charlie Kaufman movies (Eternal Sunshine), check out Being John Malkovich. It's quintessential Kaufman.

1 hour ago, IStream said:

check out Being John Malkovich. It's quintessential Kaufman.

Wackey funne!                             :)

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 11:15 AM, QBF said:

The Shape Of Water

I realize that a lot of people liked this movie, but here is my review.

Having watched few movies from major studio's (Hollywood for example) that have been made in the past decade or so, I watched the movie, The Shape Of Water.

Unfortunately, I should have read the reviews first as I would have learned beforehand that Elisa, the Mute woman, teaches the "Creature From the Black Lagoon" to use sign language, enjoy music, and use a fork while eating. Elisa then has sex with the man-fish.

Professional film critics seem to have loved this film, with many reviews going on about the esoteric nature of the film, the symbolism, etc, etc, etc...

For example:

* "The Shape Of Water is "a swooning romantic melodrama that reshapes the mythical themes of Beauty and the Beast."

* NPR's reviewer: "The Shape Of Water is a romantic fable told in soft greens and blues, visual splendour, how difficult it is to gracefully present the sex life of a woman and a fish-man."

* Another critic said the movie has "Strong undercurrents, of the silent pathos of Keaton and Chaplin, interspersed with bouts of musical fantasy, including an audacious Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers-style dance routine that mirrors the monochrome dance designs of the film, Follow the Fleet."

Those reviews are right out of the clips one sees on new Turner Classic Movies (TCM) promotions that show "everyday" people talking about films while TCM tries to get people to join their Wine Club.

To be honest, I am not one for highbrow movie reviews. Unfortunately I found the following review too late, as I had already watched The Shape of Water.

https://observer.com/2017/12/review-sally-hawkins-sinks-in-guillermo-del-toros-the-shape-of-water

Personally, I think this movie might well have been called, "The Creature From the Black Lagoon, Gets Some."

I give The Shape of Water one SNAG for very nice cinematography.

Sex Scene

Bathtub.jpg.3b6ca162bf00cc7885e40b918242c657.jpg

Dance Sequence (Yes, this dance sequence is actually in the movie!)

2076306213_DanceRoutine.jpg.a1b65b86b5740660b567c1ed3a53b665.jpg

OTOH I loved that movie. The sets, colors, and lighting were all amazing in how they recreated a retro movie look. Yes the plot was essentially The Creature From The Black Lagoon Gets Some Action, but it was fun.

2 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

OTOH I loved that movie. The sets, colors, and lighting were all amazing in how they recreated a retro movie look. Yes the plot was essentially The Creature From The Black Lagoon Gets Some Action, but  so of course it was fun.

FIFY