Snaggletooth

Moovie Review Threade

On 2/2/2020 at 10:26 AM, dacapo said:

the story line had me for 20 min. then it fell to shit.  I couldn't deal with 2+ hrs. of subtitles as the movie is spoken in Korean and I don;t know Korean ;-) ( but I do love Korean BBQ) 

ao5dBjx_460swp.webp

On 2/11/2020 at 11:26 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

working on watching Gettysburg... the fake accents are bad...

i give  Gettysburg.. about 2 snags...   the fake accents are bad,  everybody pontificates for 10 mins every time they talk..   if they kept it to something  like  "fuck that sucked, we got our asses kicked, can we leave now..... "    the movie would have been a reasonable 90 mins instead of what like 4 hours?   the last battle scene took like 40 mins to prepare before they charged..    the 20th Maine rocked..

The Joker. -5 Snaggs. 

Ford vs. Ferrari. 10 Snaggs. :D

My wife, who's an academic working on zombie-related themes in literature, just dragged me to a low budget art house zombie moovie that was only showing for one night in Seattle. I had low expectations, figuring it'd be crude effort that'd disappear without a trace, but I also figured a couple of hours away from the kids with my bride was worth it.

The moovie's called "Blood Quantum" and was made by a First Nations group in Canada. The plot revolves around a zombie outbreak in and around a reservation. There's not much I can say that won't spoil various plot points but suffice it to say that the movie was far, far better than what I was expecting. Good production, good acting, good story, great character development,  lots of deep metaphors if you wanted to go down the rabbit hole, tons of gore, and a deft blend of comedy to keep things light when necessary. Expertly done and very entertaining.

If it pops up in your town and you're into that sort of thing, I'd highly recommend it. As a moovie in the absolute sense, I'd give it 4.5 Snaggs. Considering the budget and associated constraints on the filmmakers, I'd bump it up to 5 Snaggs. 

For those who want more info and aren't bothered by spoilers, here's the IMDB link:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7394674/

On 2/16/2020 at 9:04 PM, dacapo said:

Watch the Carol Shelby movie on Netflix.  It's way better than Ford vs. Ferrari...

• Like 1

Force Majeure: 5 snags.  Grown up plot and themes.  Beautiful skiing.  Clever cinematography: plays with mirrors like Bertolucci.  Long still-camera shots in which there is deep visual interest.  Plays with the edges of the frame hard.  Vivaldi on an accordion.  It's a little like Red Badge of Courage in the Alps with the family.  What will you do when you see the elephant?

On 2/15/2020 at 5:54 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i give  Gettysburg.. about 2 snags...   the fake accents are bad,  everybody pontificates for 10 mins every time they talk..   if they kept it to something  like  "fuck that sucked, we got our asses kicked, can we leave now..... "    the movie would have been a reasonable 90 mins instead of what like 4 hours?   the last battle scene took like 40 mins to prepare before they charged..    the 20th Maine rocked..

They made another one in line with Gettysburg (maybe even a sequal to it, not sure)called Gods and Generals.  Pretty good if you ask me but I am also a history buff so thats my jam.

31 minutes ago, Jkdubz808 said:

They made another one in line with Gettysburg (maybe even a sequal to it, not sure)called Gods and Generals.  Pretty good if you ask me but I am also a history buff so thats my jam.

done by the same director...  not much hope..

14 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

done by the same director...  not much hope..

Haven't seen the film version of Gods and Generals, but the book Gods and Generals by Jeff Shaara is far inferior to Killer Angels by his daddy, Michael.  Killer Angels was the text behind the movie Gettysburg.

The movie is good, acting could've been a bit better but they had a good cast for it.  I enjoyed it.

watched  A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood ,   i'll give it  4 snags because i think Hanks did a good job,  but 2.5 on the story line..

also Knives Out ,  3 snags,  fun who dunnit..   the internet wants a sequel, but Daniel Craig  plays the part with a different accent just to mess with people..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Knives Out ,  3 snags,  fun who dunnit..   

Thackes GMD!  I thouht wase fun to.  I licked Marta to, greate eiyes.

MV5BNTUyNzVlNjAtZjBkZS00ZjIwLTkwZWItMDgz

:)

if you have young kids, or maybe not    The Missing Link....   i give it 3 snags.   from the same company that did Coraline,  Kubo and the Two Strings...

In addition to being smart, funny, and good looking, my wife is very into zombie movies. Yes, I got lucky and I somehow haven't screwed it up yet.

So the other night we rented "One Cut of the Dead" on Amazon, which is a Japanese zombie movie. Now I like a zombie movie as much as the next guy but I've probably seen a dozen of them in the last year thanks to my wife's obsession. Some have been good, novel, creative, and/or surprising but many aren't worth the trouble. As a result, I went in to this one with pretty low expectations.

I should also say that I strongly prefer to go into movies cold, not having seen a trailer and ideally with no idea what the story's even about. That's doubly important for this one. I don't know what I was expecting but this wasn't it, and I mean that in a good way. If you're not into zombie movies but want to push your boundaries a bit, I think there's a good chance you'll like this one. And that's all I'm going to say.

Four Snagges!

• Like 1

The Whistlers is the best thing I’ve seen in a year.  Maybe several years.  Intricate plotting on a level with The Usual Suspects, mood and pallet that ranges from grey and dingy Bucharest, to bright and vivid Canarias, to the surreal of Singapore.  Music ranging from Iggy Pop and Kurt Weil to Opera an Viennese waltz.  I thought the L.A. Times review captured much of what I liked about it.  A.O.Scott was expecting something else and was disappointed.  It's a new release available for streaming from Magnolia Pictures.

On 4/11/2020 at 12:44 PM, IStream said:

In addition to being smart, funny, and good looking, my wife is very into zombie movies. Yes, I got lucky and I somehow haven't screwed it up yet.

My wife is also smart, funny, and good looking but not remotely interested in zombie movies - but she did suggest we do a circumnavigation, there is that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

My wife is also smart, funny, and good looking but not remotely interested in zombie movies - but she did suggest we do a circumnavigation, there is that.

Ya got me there!

I just watch the Gentlemen. Loved it it’s a little long so I’ll give it a 8.5 out of 10 snaggs. 

19 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

10!?!?

What’s the proper scale of snags? 4, 5, 10?  Seems to be a lot of confusion.

That's why I generally rate the moovie with the scale shown, e.g. 4 out of 5 snagges.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IStream said:

That's why I generally rate the moovie with the scale shown, e.g. 4 out of 5 snagges.

I licke thisse oune.................                        :)

• Like 1

well then if we divide by 2....

4.25 out of 5 

easy peasy lemon squeezy

either way it was a good movie to see.

Rock'n'Rolle High Schoole - 3/4 S

The spoilde heethen punkes our enertaineng, Togar is an oggere, the Ramones our fun.                                   :)

Contagion, it is startling.  Like watching the news in many places.  Was released in 2011.  Agape.

^Last movie genre I want to watch is one about a pandemic!

Someone has jumped the shark....

I couldn't make it through the new Jerry Seinfeld Special '23 hours to kill' now out on Netflix.

The SNL staff stuck in their apartments are funnier...

I'm shocked! Is it nostalgia that allows his jokes to get laughs when they're not funny...?

I borrowed this from the tattoos, and class thread, and image search finds "most beautiful ebony girl"

8CA0A249-554C-4AAC-A770-95E1CBB57FC5.jpeg

Pin on sistahs n girls of color XX-RATED

Some of the most beautiful black women in the world... | Most ...

11770 Best Ebony images in 2020 | Black is beautiful, Beautiful ...

the most beautiful black woman alive | STR8 DIMES{beatutiful women ...

Are you a boss? Ceo? Enterpreneur? Join us as an #enterpriser at ...

bombshellssonly: “ @bellaagunz ” | Most beautiful black women ...

Pin on Becoming a natural

Beautiful Black - Album on Imgur

Pin on Motivation

Pin by Kaochoy Saechao on Niice | Bria myles, Beautiful dark ...

Once you go black, you'll never go back......

10 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I borrowed this from the tattoos, and class thread, and image search finds "most beautiful ebony girl"

8CA0A249-554C-4AAC-A770-95E1CBB57FC5.jpeg

Pin on sistahs n girls of color XX-RATED

Some of the most beautiful black women in the world... | Most ...

11770 Best Ebony images in 2020 | Black is beautiful, Beautiful ...

the most beautiful black woman alive | STR8 DIMES{beatutiful women ...

Are you a boss? Ceo? Enterpreneur? Join us as an #enterpriser at ...

Pin on Becoming a natural

Beautiful Black - Album on Imgur

Pin on Motivation

Pin by Kaochoy Saechao on Niice | Bria myles, Beautiful dark ...

Once you go black, you'll never go back......

you're in the wrong thread

18 hours ago, Liquid said:

Someone has jumped the shark....

I couldn't make it through the new Jerry Seinfeld Special '23 hours to kill' now out on Netflix.

The SNL staff stuck in their apartments are funnier...

I'm shocked! Is it nostalgia that allows his jokes to get laughs when they're not funny...?

i saw jerry do standup before he started his tv show, he wasn't funny then either...

16 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

you're in the wrong thread

Imma let it slide.

17 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i saw jerry do standup before he started his tv show, he wasn't funny then either...

Not really fair to compare one man doing comedy to a show with a room full of writers working all week.  I've enjoyed Cars and Coffee, but you can really see this difference.  It's occasionally great, and a fun idea, but the average level of the humor is much reduced.

14 hours ago, chester said:

J..F..C

Plesae poeste herre fulle name, notte juste herre inishalles, thack you.                                                             :)

56 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Plesae poeste herre fulle name, notte juste herre inishalles, thack you.                                                             :)

:D  i'm going to have to go ahead and assume you new I was initializing Jesus..Fucking..Christ.  that girl, whom ever she maybe, is drop dead fucking gorgeous.

Just watched  the first episode of White Lines on Netflix.  It’s a murder mystery set on Ibiza.  The story follows a woman who comes to find out who killed her brother (A DJ)when his body is found 20 years later.  It’s got money, sex and drugs in copious amounts and the acting is pretty good.

There’s a on screen orgy that goes 5 minutes.  

5 Snags!

Rewached 'Unforgiven',and Ille adimitte I love thisse moovie.  It standes up to time...........hardeto beatte abillitey overe eggo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Rewached 'Unforgiven',and Ille adimitte I love thisse moovie.  It standes up to time...........hardeto beatte abillitey overe eggo.

Clint is always good...   been trying trying to find the time to watch  The Mule

Just saw trailer for Greenland. Looks stupid...

We just semi-binge watch "The Eddy" on Netflix. A mini series about a Jazz club in Paris, its owner(s) and the band playing there. There is a murder/gang twist also but we loved it for the music, the acting (done by the actual musicians) and the way it was filmed.

Directed by Damien Chazelle, who made Lalaland and Whiplash...

If you like Jazz, and Paris, and are not adverse to a movie where half the dialogs are in English and half in French, a must see. For the dialogs, if you chose English sub-title, only the French dialogs are sub-titled, and vice versa.

The music is fantastic, the characters are deep, and lovable. Even if some times, you want to scream at the main character: "but why don't you fucking tell her!!!

Four snaggs...

Spike Lee's latest, "Da 5 Bloods" on Netflix is very good, especially Delroy Lindo's performance. I give the movie 4 Snaggs out of 5 but Mr. Lindo's performance is a 5 Snagger.

watched the 5th element for about the 20th time...    still 5 snags...  

gary oldman as the bad guy...   bruce at his sarcastic self    and chris rock  a total hoot..

2 hours ago, IStream said:

Spike Lee's latest, "Da 5 Bloods" on Netflix is very good, especially Delroy Lindo's performance. I give the movie 4 Snaggs out of 5 but Mr. Lindo's performance is a 5 Snagger.

I liked it quire a lot.  You do have to forgive a little plot convenience here and there.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

watched the 5th element for about the 20th time...    still 5 snags...  

gary oldman as the bad guy...   bruce at his sarcastic self    and chris rock  a total hoot..

I think you meant Chris Tucker...

• Like 1

I've been watching real people starve and lose their minds on the most real, reality survival competition show I've ever watched!

ALONE

(hulu and netflix)

4.25 Snags

It's 10 kooks/trained survivalist dropped off in the middle of nowhere with a pack and 10 personal survival items. Last survivor standing takes home $500K  - for as long as that takes!

Survival locations are all beautiful: Vancouver Island (seriously, that island's interior is a beautiful hellscape!), Patagonia, Mongolia and the Canadian Arctic! They start in the fall and have to endure the start of winter - until they can't!

Sooo, not my thing (I got a pizza and salad delivered during last nights viewing)! It clearly demonstrates why it takes a tribe/village to truly live off the land!