Sign in to follow this  
billy backstay

Free TV/Movies with Amazon Fire Stick with Kodi??

Google found way too many hits to wade through. Can someone point me to a Cliffs Notes on this tech? We are renting for 7 months and cable is included, but need to figure out the best over air, or online streaming TV source, so we never have to pay Comcast 2 grand a year ever again. Thanks!!

EDIT: Or maybe I should just PM my good mate Wofsey!! LOL

I know nothing about that. But a guy at work might get sued through Comcast for downloading pirated movies. He got some kind of summons and they knew exactly which movies he took.

My wife likes that HGTV channel, but I ain't too happy to pay $70/month for cable, I'm going to get that $20/month Sling, hopefully that will work. I guess it's just a channel that you get through the little Roku box.

Dropped cable TV about a year ago, kept cable internet. Got a Roku and a Chromecast to watch TV. Roku is great, Chromecast is meh. We bought an HD antenna, but local cable company broadcasts through the wall basically what you'd get with an HD antenna, so get all the local and major networks through that. Use Netflix and Amazon Prime, and the various Roku channels to cover my TV/movie needs.

Only downside so far is live sports that are on ESPN or FS1. Otherwise, I'd only go back to Cable TV if they gave it to me.

What about over the air sattelite antennas? I heard about a company making them on NPR, and the cable giants were fighting them in court, but as of then a couple of months ago, they were still legit

Last I saw of those was early on in the lawsuit. Seemed like promising tech. I forget what they were called.

I can't find them with google either. It was not a dish, but a small antenna, IIRC??

yeah, small antenna. If I remember, the concept wasn't all that different to having an old style satellite dish and a descrambler, but for the digital age, and much, much smaller footprint.

I'm sure somebody will remember what that thing is.

found it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aereo

bankrupt and bought by tivo

That's it!! Aereo. Thanks. I guess the lawsuits bankrupted them.....??? Barry Diller doesn't usually pick losers though...

EDIT.. stumbled upon this with some useful info. They freely admit they are selling it all, so probably useful info??

http://www.buzzminds.com/cord-cutters-guide/become-a-cord-cutter-in-6-steps-or-less/

I think that article sums up the process nicely.

A few more links that may help: http://projects.marketwatch.com/are-you-ready-to-cut-the-cable-cord-interactive-calculator-2013/

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2015/01/should_i_cut_the_cable_cord_decide_on_streaming_services_with_this_calculator.html

http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

The last one helps you figure out what channels you should be able to get from your zip code and what type of antenna you'll need if you want to try an over the air HD antenna.

We use kodi on a pc. It works sporadically. Sometimes really well, sometimes it's just aggravating. I know fuck all about how to set it up though. The wife's brother in law is a big geek and sorted it out for us.

I miss pirate bay.

Dropped cable TV about a year ago, kept cable internet. Got a Roku and a Chromecast to watch TV. Roku is great, Chromecast is meh. We bought an HD antenna, but local cable company broadcasts through the wall basically what you'd get with an HD antenna, so get all the local and major networks through that. Use Netflix and Amazon Prime, and the various Roku channels to cover my TV/movie needs.

Only downside so far is live sports that are on ESPN or FS1. Otherwise, I'd only go back to Cable TV if they gave it to me.

got an indoor antenna at costco for $39, has a small amplifier to boost signals.. works great, I get 73 channels in dallas, about 15 in english... about 9 I'll watch.. get the locals plus pbs... enough for me... got a roku stick, works through wireless off the internet.. watch netflix and amazon prime... my tv will also pick up my wireless hard drive so I can watch whatever I download to it... go to this link and put in your info , it'll tell you approx what type of antenna you need

http://www.antennaweb.org/default.aspx

if you want to watch espn off of roku and have a friend who has cable, have them sign-on and register your roku.. you're ready to go...

for most live sports , I searched and found a few euro websites that will simulcast games... just don't download any software they suggest.. if the site requires a certain player, go download the player from the original website.. also use a good antivirus.. and adblock

kodi is the bomb diggity if you know how to set it up. i have it on every media player in the house.

set up after initial installation is straight forward. the most popular add ons are done with respositories by third parties.

http://tvaddons.ag is your source for all things kodi. i highly recommend the prime wire add on.

if you don't want to poke under the hood, tvaddons offers a preconfigured kodi install called tvmc which is pretty much install and play.

i have a mygica 1800, 2 raspberry pi's, and a google nexus player all using kodi. the nexus and the mygica also have netflix, youtube and google services baked in. i've installed crackle on both. seems to work better on the nexus.

kodi is available as an app from the google play store on android tv.

kodi is the bomb diggity if you know how to set it up. i have it on every media player in the house.

set up after initial installation is straight forward. the most popular add ons are done with respositories by third parties.

http://tvaddons.ag is your source for all things kodi. i highly recommend the prime wire add on.

if you don't want to poke under the hood, tvaddons offers a preconfigured kodi install called tvmc which is pretty much install and play.

i have a mygica 1800, 2 raspberry pi's, and a google nexus player all using kodi. the nexus and the mygica also have netflix, youtube and google services baked in. i've installed crackle on both. seems to work better on the nexus.

please tell my about the mygica 1800.... external antenna connection, ota tuner? or do you need a usb tuner dongle? is there an hdmi input for a roku dongle?

it's a streaming media player. no antenna, no tuner, no dongles. hdmi to the tv, wireless or ethernet to the internet for content. it's android tv based. you can install pretty much anything from the google play store on the unit.

it's a streaming media player. no antenna, no tuner, no dongles. hdmi to the tv, wireless or ethernet to the internet for content. it's android tv based. you can install pretty much anything from the google play store on the unit.

ok, it's doing the same thing as one of the "smart" tv's.... I'm looking for something that will do all the above but allows ota tv as well...

plug an antenna into the tv. if you want a pvr for ota it gets rather complicated with all the different software and interconnects you need. kodi will do it, but you need to know how to deal with the add ons. i don't need to delve into that. if i want to see something i've missed, i stream it a few hours after it's aired. i found some add ons that are good for network tv across canada. there are similar for network tv in the states.

the media streamers are a bit more intelligent than a smart tv. most tvs are locked into the software provided by the manufacturer. don't think i've seen a tv you can install kodi on. you can use the box as a set top internet box, play games, and like other players, a media library.

with an android tv player you can chromecast too. i can cast video from a tablet to the nexus player natively.

plug an antenna into the tv. if you want a pvr for ota it gets rather complicated with all the different software and interconnects you need. kodi will do it, but you need to know how to deal with the add ons. i don't need to delve into that. if i want to see something i've missed, i stream it a few hours after it's aired. i found some add ons that are good for network tv across canada. there are similar for network tv in the states.

the media streamers are a bit more intelligent than a smart tv. most tvs are locked into the software provided by the manufacturer. don't think i've seen a tv you can install kodi on. you can use the box as a set top internet box, play games, and like other players, a media library.

with an android tv player you can chromecast too. i can cast video from a tablet to the nexus player natively.

this is for a projector system ... upstairs I'm running a samsung w/ ota and roku dongle, tv also hooks up to my wireless harddrive to stream....

I'm looking for a htpc solution, ota plus dvr capabilities, maybe a blu-ray optical.. store all my music and movies on a hard drive.. connect to the ht sound system... I'm wondering if a usb tv tuner with ota antenna may work with this box.. the hdmi would be for roku or other internet tv device..

There should be a cottage industry for hiring people like amro, who understand this complicated and many faceted industry and can advise people like me who don't have the free time or interest to learn it myself. I would gladly hire someone to tell me what to buy and install it and teach me how to drive it, unless it was cost prohibitive. I really just need 3 major networks, wifes cooking channels, science, history,NBC Sports for F1, and that's about it, except access to recent movies would be nice, but probably not available?

billy, as much as i can design and implement systems across a wide variety of spectrums, stuff like this i tend to do just for myself. and there are plenty of others around with far more knowledge than i have. my setup stems from simply not wanting to pay stupid amounts of money for an idiot box. i spend a lot of time on configuration web sites basically cutting and pasting config files back and forth. i do know what to look at when something starts to go wrong and can usually troubleshoot my way out of a wet paper bag. i have tons of friends that constantly ask for help building home networks or home theaters. i usually turn them down because what i like and do may not be what they like and want.

that said, there are ways to get live sports with kodi, you just have to find the right add on that works. so far i've found some good ones that are "tape delay". live streams tend to be really pixelated. what a lot of people do is subscribe to an online sports package, be it nhl, nfl, mlb, f1, nascar.. and find the add on that allows them to watch it on tv instead of a computer.

there used to be a cottage industry for this kind of thing in satellite fta. got regulated out of existence and a lot of people prosecuted for hacking intellectual property. the local fta store i go to doesn't even sell dishes any more and won't even discuss anything grey area or worse. walk in asking about key sharing and you are tossed on your butt fast.

this is for a projector system ... upstairs I'm running a samsung w/ ota and roku dongle, tv also hooks up to my wireless harddrive to stream....

I'm looking for a htpc solution, ota plus dvr capabilities, maybe a blu-ray optical.. store all my music and movies on a hard drive.. connect to the ht sound system... I'm wondering if a usb tv tuner with ota antenna may work with this box.. the hdmi would be for roku or other internet tv device..

you used to be able to add tuners and usb dongles to fta satellite receivers. near the end of their popularity companies were really trying to make them the all in one package. jynxbox was one company that tried hard in this area. their ultra hd was ota ready, could add tuners and sat dish cards, had built in wifi, ethernet, usb, and they claim a pvr.

the mygica 1800 is the closest thing I've seen outside of a htpc... I started building a htpc, but life happened and the motherboard turned out to be bad after the rma date... need to find time and finish it... but at $135 the mygica is pretty tempting...

curious about the aps available for it, can it be setup like a roku and sucscribe to channels? is there a forum for mygica geeks?

i pretty much ignore most of the apps and stick with kodi, crackle, youtube, and a few other stand alone media apps. netflix is there but i am not a subscriber. kodi isn't like most streaming programs. you select a show, then find a hosted stream. not all links are valid. you have to have a bit of patience with it when you are looking for streaming content. i'd have to look and see if there is an app to favourite streaming channels.

mygica just came out with the 1900. haven't checked the specs on it yet. i am getting a lot out of the nexus player at the moment.

billy, as much as i can design and implement systems across a wide variety of spectrums, stuff like this i tend to do just for myself. and there are plenty of others around with far more knowledge than i have. my setup stems from simply not wanting to pay stupid amounts of money for an idiot box. i spend a lot of time on configuration web sites basically cutting and pasting config files back and forth. i do know what to look at when something starts to go wrong and can usually troubleshoot my way out of a wet paper bag. i have tons of friends that constantly ask for help building home networks or home theaters. i usually turn them down because what i like and do may not be what they like and want.

that said, there are ways to get live sports with kodi, you just have to find the right add on that works. so far i've found some good ones that are "tape delay". live streams tend to be really pixelated. what a lot of people do is subscribe to an online sports package, be it nhl, nfl, mlb, f1, nascar.. and find the add on that allows them to watch it on tv instead of a computer.

there used to be a cottage industry for this kind of thing in satellite fta. got regulated out of existence and a lot of people prosecuted for hacking intellectual property. the local fta store i go to doesn't even sell dishes any more and won't even discuss anything grey area or worse. walk in asking about key sharing and you are tossed on your butt fast.

The house we are renting until May has a decent cable package and all utilities are included including wifi. I have no interest in watching live sports because that means commercials which I cannot abide and have not watched for years with DVR. Hopefully we will buy another home eventually and the industry will probably have changed considerably by then, so it's on the back burner for now. Thanks for the cliff notes tutorial!!

i pretty much ignore most of the apps and stick with kodi, crackle, youtube, and a few other stand alone media apps. netflix is there but i am not a subscriber. kodi isn't like most streaming programs. you select a show, then find a hosted stream. not all links are valid. you have to have a bit of patience with it when you are looking for streaming content. i'd have to look and see if there is an app to favourite streaming channels.

mygica just came out with the 1900. haven't checked the specs on it yet. i am getting a lot out of the nexus player at the moment.

it seems their atv586 is what i need

MyGica ATV586 delivers free-to-air with a superb television quality to your TV via the DVB-T2 or ATSC aerial. You can also set up schedules

to record your favourite programs and manage content with Parent Control Capabilities.

Does kodi support ad and script blockers? I've got a rasperry pi I'd love to set up as an HTPC. But I love Pandora with no ads.

There is no advertising in Kodi at all. Nothing to block.

The add on has a library of titles, either tv or movies. You select what you want to watch, select a source for the stream, and you watch.

Kodi does support music, but i use it only for video so i am not sure how it works. It may require music add one like the video side does. If that's the case it's easy to set up.

amro,

curious does the bluetooth allow the use of a bluetooth keyboard?

yes!

more specifically android tv will let you add just about any bluetooth input device. i use a few different keyboards and mice with the nexus player, and i have a trackball in use for one of the raspberry pis.

On 10/30/2015 at 2:38 AM, mikewof said:

I know nothing about that. But a guy at work might get sued through Comcast for downloading pirated movies. He got some kind of summons and they knew exactly which movies he took.

My wife likes that HGTV channel, but I ain't too happy to pay $70/month for cable, I'm going to get that $20/month Sling, hopefully that will work. I guess it's just a channel that you get through the little Roku box.

Definitely its not easy to get pirated stuff and not get sued I always make sure to connect my kodi with a https://www.kodivpn.co and keep my identity safe. These days the Copyright Bullies are just going crazy. This could help you get a good VPN for KODI  to run on firestick. 

downloading any pirated material without a VPN is crazy .

I'm running Kodi on an Amazon Fire TV.  I'm running the content through the Kodi No Limits Magic build.

So far I'm underwhelmed.  Certain content has been hit or miss in terms of actually working.  I often get TV shows or movies that won't stream or when they do, they buffer constantly.  I have a very fast home internet running around 50-60mbps on speedtest.  So I don't think that's the issue.  I've almost given up watching movies on it and some TV shows run ok while others are almost impossible.  For instance, I am doing a GOT marathon and they seem to run ok, but when I try The Handmaid's Tale, I'm usually able to get it to work around 40% of the time.  Very frustrating.  

Any suggestions on how to get it to run better? 

Also, Any VPN recommendations?  A couple I've tried REALLY drop the speeds down to almost unusable.  

Edit to add:  I wonder if the Kodi build itself is making it run slow by hogging up memory.

I use Private Internet Access for a VPN, which is based in Europe and doesn't store it's records. It's about $40 a year, and I've had very good performance. One account lets you hook up something like five devices, so I can use it with my PC, phone, and the Raspberry Pi we're running KODI on and still have a couple of licenses for the family to use at will.

I have no idea if PIA will work with a Fire TV, I have zero familiarity with that device.