• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
DryArmour

50th Newport-Bermuda Race...who's going?

The entries don't open until January 10th but I thought I would see if the race will get similar traction to this year's TransPac where super maxis came from all over the world to compete right next to smaller designs and everyone had a blast.

Who's in?

http://www.gotobermuda.com/uploadedFiles/PageBuilder/Whats_New/BDOTSailing.webm

t I thought I would see if the race will get similar traction to this year's TransPac where super maxis came from all over the world to compete right next to smaller designs and everyone had a blast.

They're only interested in giving super maxis and canters a "demo" class, they're not allowed to compete for the Gibbs Hill (nevermind St Davids) trophy therefore none of them show up.

Heard that too, but they just added SuperYachts. Canters still the same. Only allowed in Open Division and have to be faster than 475 GPH. Not allowed in Gibbs, St David's, SuperYacht or DH.

This race has turned into a joke. No big campaign bothers anymore.

All the old fucks at CCA are has beens with no clue of modern yachting. They are killing this race from the inside. Just hearing the name Rousmaniere makes my eyes roll.

Hopefully I will be doing the race on a pretty competitive boat. To be honest its more that I enjoy sailing to Bermuda as fast as possible.

I won't bother looking at results and I definitely won't hang around for the prize giving wankfest.

All the old fucks at CCA are has beens with no clue of modern yachting. They are killing this race from the inside. Just hearing the name Rousmaniere makes my eyes roll.

Hopefully I will be doing the race on a pretty competitive boat. To be honest its more that I enjoy sailing to Bermuda as fast as possible.

I won't bother looking at results and I definitely won't hang around for the prize giving wankfest.

Man.. take it easy. Fun sail to Bermuda, it's a crap shoot every time. Don't take it personal if you tank it, and don't pat yourself on the back if you win. I've done both.

This will be my 11th go at it. I will enjoy it, hope you do too.

Best three hotels on the island are????

Horses for courses..... What's the budget and do you want beach or town?

Beach please. What is the average rate in mid June for a good hotel?

Book early and save (?) $$$.

You should be able to get the Rosewood for $800-900 per night, Elbow Beach for about $700 per night and.the Fairmont Southampton (their beach hotel) for about $550-600 per night now. There are lots of still very nice lower cost options ($350-400 per night) but they will fill up fast starting shortly before Christmas !

You should be able to get the Rosewood for $800-900 per night, Elbow Beach for about $700 per night and.the Fairmont Southampton (their beach hotel) for about $550-600 per night now. There are lots of still very nice lower cost options ($350-400 per night) but they will fill up fast starting shortly before Christmas !

For those with a budget down here on Earth, try the guest houses. A much better deal. I like the Windsong Guest House. Not too far away from Hamilton and clean up to date rooms. I looked and they are almost sold out already, so start looking now.

Crud. Rosewood is already sold out. Will check the Fairmont in the morning.

Could not agree more. Like the other classics (Transpac, Syd/Hob, Fastnet, Middle Sea) this race needs one division and one overall winner. Sometimes it would be a pure race boat but most of the time, due to the nature of the race, it would be a medium or low speed C/R. ORR is a truly terrible rule when it comes to modern race boats. The sad part is the CCA could care less. Want to make it relevant again? One division with canters in their own class, allow multi's, scrap ORR. Do that or keep seeing it fade as fewer and fewer race boats enter. Overall entry numbers without counting true race boats and international teams is a flawed metric.

Could not agree more. Like the other classics (Transpac, Syd/Hob, Fastnet, Middle Sea) this race needs one division and one overall winner. Sometimes it would be a pure race boat but most of the time, due to the nature of the race, it would be a medium or low speed C/R. ORR is a truly terrible rule when it comes to modern race boats. The sad part is the CCA could care less. Want to make it relevant again? One division with canters in their own class, allow multi's, scrap ORR. Do that or keep seeing it fade as fewer and fewer race boats enter. Overall entry numbers without counting true race boats and international teams is a flawed metric.

Could not agree more. The 2015 TransPac was a huge success despite challenging conditions. The boats and teams were fantastic! C'MON Newport-Bermuda...add the classes people are asking for!

Crud. Rosewood is already sold out. Will check the Fairmont in the morning.

Mark:

Fairmont is nice, the Elbow Beach has lost a step or two for the $$ they still command. I think they lost their flag.

Last three races we've stayed at the Fairmont Princess in Hamilton. Can't beat the old world charm, comfort and convenience. Already booked for 2016. It's a short walk to RBYC or the ferries and an easy cab anywhere else if you don't want to do the scooter thing.

Last three races we've stayed at the Fairmont Princess in Hamilton. Can't beat the old world charm, comfort and convenience. Already booked for 2016. It's a short walk to RBYC or the ferries and an easy cab anywhere else if you don't want to do the scooter thing.

True Congo Bob, but it's for old people! And rates are crazy.

Likely going, taking my J120 Deviation

Who names a boat Deviation?

Wing nuts?

I'll look into the Fairmont Princess. Thank you.

The Princess is a very nice hotel. It is big, expensive and everything you would expect from a Fairmont. It is in town and not on a beach (although it is on the water and can offer great views of the finish to the RBYC Friday Around the Harbor Race). Another lower-key but still very nice hotel in the same neighborhood is the Rosedon Hotel, 61 Pitts Bay Road. It too is within staggering distance of the RBYC bar.

The Princess is a very nice hotel. It is big, expensive and everything you would expect from a Fairmont. It is in town and not on a beach (although it is on the water and can offer great views of the finish to the RBYC Friday Around the Harbor Race). Another lower-key but still very nice hotel in the same neighborhood is the Rosedon Hotel, 61 Pitts Bay Road. It too is within staggering distance of the RBYC bar.

FP does give free access and shuttle service to their Southampton beach.

If you are going to be there with your wife or a female friend; the Princess will be a big hit and well worth the expense.

The ferry shuttle to the Southampton is a nice bonus.

Likely going, taking my J120 Deviation

Who names a boat Deviation?

Stu; and he's does quite well with it too.

I've stayed there....

It's "nice", but...

It is a soulless, clinical-feeling, hotel that could be anywhere in the world.

I find it completely devoid of any charm.