• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gjostrom

cruising the med - august '16

Starting to plan out next year's cruise. Where should we go?! Three or four couples, probably want to bareboat a fifty-foot something or another, 7-10 days. Have to be back to Cali by labor day for a wedding. Europe trips in the past have done Greece (cyclades), Croatia (dub-split), Sweden (archipelago). We were contemplating the Ionian, or possibly Italy, any first-hand knowledge or suggestions?

I can't resist proposing our company...! We are 3 guys trying something alternative in leisure sailing business in Greece. Check it out and feel free to make any question or comment even if doesn't suits you. Of course we can provide any info you want concerning the Ionian sea, cause we live there

The Balearic Islands and Costa Brava (North-East of Spain) are great, but they are REALLY crowded in August. June is the best moment for cruising any of them.

In addition to their 3 Class-40 based steeds, Fastsailing.gr will have a POGO 50 for charter starting next spring, and should be a RIOT to blast around in. We just got back from our annual pilgrimage to the temple of speed and had (as expected) a total blast.

What bugger and JR said. You should really try to do it in June through early July the latest if you can, later everything is crowded (and prices go up).

I particularly enjoyed sailing in the Tyrrhenian Sea (Elba, Giglio, Corsica, Sardegna). Great sailing and nice ports to stop.

What bugger and JR said. You should really try to do it in June through early July the latest if you can, later everything is crowded (and prices go up).

I particularly enjoyed sailing in the Tyrrhenian Sea (Elba, Giglio, Corsica, Sardegna). Great sailing and nice ports to stop.

The Tyrrhenian is very nice, especially in September. Been there many times, always enjoyed it very much. Some times, you can get a one-way, like Elba - Sardinia, or Elba - Naples, or back. lots to see along the way.

September could work. A pogo 50 would be sweet! Bareboat?

Yea. Easy.

Like the 12.50 the 50 might look like a beast, but shit Pia and I drive the 12.50 around like rock stars double handed. Its easy and fun to sail fast. It only trick is to make sure you leave enough time to get back; the boat is 2x as fast off the wind as on, or motoring. You just have to pick your destinations with care!!!

PM me if you want to know more about our experiences with fastsailing.gr. All good.

Go to Sardinia in the last week in August and you still have great weather and the crowds are gone (they all pack up the week after ferraugusto (August 15th). Have had my boat there for the past 7 years and still loving it. Best anchorages in the med in my opinion... And a dense cruising area so you can enjoy the sailing and dinners at anchor. Late June is also nice, but seemed like you were looking for something later.

Boomerang yacht charter has a good reputation...

I'd suggest avoiding Greece in August as the meltimi blows daily at 30 knots!

On the contrary, that sounds like perfect conditions for hiring a Pogo 12.50 from FastSailing.gr

I watched the film with the sound turned down with woman's hour (BBC radio 4) on in the background

as a 4 knot shit box sailor the manly fists raised in the air, the bicep flashing, adrenaline and testosterone was immensely entertaining.

It was great (and also pretty funny) to see blokes having ape-man fun.

However, once you have hit 25 knots...... then what?

D

On the contrary, that sounds like perfect conditions for hiring a Pogo 12.50 from FastSailing.gr

I watched the film with the sound turned down with woman's hour (BBC radio 4) on in the background

as a 4 knot shit box sailor the manly fists raised in the air, the bicep flashing, adrenaline and testosterone was immensely entertaining.

D

Go for 25.1???

Like any great physical thrill, you then grin with pleasure for hours on end. Unless you are one of those blokes who falls asleep afterwards, which obviously doesn't apply to present company ;)

Personally, I reckon that planing a keelboat through stunning scenery is some of the best fun to be had with clothes on. And the ape-man response to it is not compulsory.

Still, maybe you'd like to do a parody of the ape-man as you blast along at 2.5knots in the sb? :D

D

Go for 25.1???

that was what I feared

Like any great physical thrill, you then grin with pleasure for hours on end. Unless you are one of those blokes who falls asleep afterwards, which obviously doesn't apply to present company ;)

Personally, I reckon that planing a keelboat through stunning scenery is some of the best fun to be had with clothes on. And the ape-man response to it is not compulsory.

Still, maybe you'd like to do a parody of the ape-man as you blast along at 2.5knots in the sb? :D

2.5 knots - that would be a dream come true

D

They are friends of mine. Great guys. And a great boat. I've come close to that speed on Hermes but not quite that fast.

And I'm sorry if you you ever get the chance to go that fast on a 40 footer with 6 honest berths and a full galley stocked with food and booze, you'll do the man-dance too. I promise.