Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tunnel Rat

Amy Willerton, would you want to cross the Atlantic with her?

Stuck in a small boat on a long voyage with an attention whore?

It would depend on the benefits...

If the midlife-crisis men on board, can be relied on not to think a beauty Queen is also a slut, she will probably be fine.

Step 1: learn how to hold the handles.

opposite, but still wrong

AmyWillerton_ClipperRace2_websitebody.jp

If she's grinding alone, it doesn't matter how she holds it.

On the other hand, she might never be alone on the grinder...

Correct, but by default you should pick one side or the other. If it gets to be a long grind, then someone can jump in w/o having a conversation as to which side you're going to move your hands to.

Correct, but by default you should pick one side or the other. If it gets to be a long grind, then someone can jump in w/o having a conversation as to which side you're going to move your hands to.

Would it be likely to be a long grind with her? I think Snaggs mentioned 17 seconds in another thread..........I don't think I could last that long!

She'll start to stink and piss of fellow crew like all ocean sailors. Bet she cleans up well.....

Alt_2232.jpg

Former Miss Universe UK winner to join Clipper crew for Trans Atlantic leg.

http://clipperroundtheworld.com/news/article/tv-model-amy-willerton-to-take-on-clipper-race-challenge

It would be interesting to see how she integrates with the rest of the crew.

I'd find it hard if I woke up each watch and she was there

If I had to pick a British chick to crew on the Clipper Challenge it would have to be the surviving chick from the deliciously awesome show Two Fat Ladies. Think about it, a great cook to take you around the world in a floating Winnebago, thats the way to go! You'd just have to make sure she doesn't confuse the chicken chute with a pair of her under britches.

1000514_two_fat_ladies.jpg

....yah,,,the model chick,,,she'd be like my daughter was in junior sailing....

........'' is the boat rigged yet?'' ....''ohh Cwapp,,,I broke a nail''

....all her posing with frizzy hair,,,it'll be interesting to see how she looks coming off the boat....

..........once a winch has had it's turn on -her- :o

If I had to pick a British chick to crew on the Clipper Challenge it would have to be the surviving chick from the deliciously awesome show Two Fat Ladies. Think about it, a great cook to take you around the world in a floating Winnebago, thats the way to go! You'd just have to make sure she doesn't confuse the chicken chute with a pair of her under britches.

Tricky, as they're both now dead. Jenifer Paterson (on the right above) in 99, and Clarissa Dickson Wright last year.

....all her posing with frizzy hair,,,it'll be interesting to see how she looks coming off the boat....

She will probably look (but not smell) fresh and sporty, with a hat covering her hair. Just like the rest of us :P

She will probably look (but not smell) fresh and sporty, with a hat covering her hair. Just like the rest of us :P

...perhaps. maybe she's not the primadonna I'm thinking.

. ,,,,or maybe the only pedestals she's known are for posing :rolleyes:

If she is, she'll either be cured for it after this experience, or worse than ever.

..........once a winch has had it's turn on -her-

She will probably look (but not smell) fresh and sporty, with a hat covering her hair. Just like the rest of us

If she is, she'll either be cured for it after this experience, or worse than ever.

...yeh,,just like my daughter,, she quit the sailing team,,,just went to the banquets :rolleyes:

....I sure wouldn't want to be on the boat,relying on her, while she goes through such a transition :blink::o

....of course all taken back if she's already a sailor gal

......in fact I'd eat my hat,,,,and most anything else I'm told to :rolleyes:

You fucking fucks wonder why there aren't more women sailing with the same smelly fingers you type this drivel about a total babe with more sense of adventure than you'll ever have.

Sure, if you're gay, I can understand why she might not be your pick of the litter, but these are co-ed, low-performance barges tooling across the Atlantic at maybe 12 knots - not exactly Volvo or maxi conditions - she'll fit in just fine. I'd much rather hot bunk or stand a watch with her than with scooter, block head or 3/4 of the people who post here.

What a bunch of asses.

Sure, if you're gay, I can understand why she might not be your pick of the litter, but these are co-ed, low-performance barges tooling across the Atlantic at maybe 12 knots - not exactly Volvo or maxi conditions - she'll fit in just fine.

+1000

and I'm pretty sure you know that yacht clubs are the reason there aren't more women in sailing

Yes some of you are being jerks. All you know is that an extremely attractive woman who is not an expert sailor is doing one of the Clipper races. You don't know anything about her behavior or personality at all.

I watched a bunch of her videos and I like her personality just fine! And she's already invited to come sail on a much faster boat....

Are we going to get a Clean Innerview:

Perhaps she can expand on what she reads when she reads the stars?

Watch her interview.... Never sailed before except for Clipper training, her take away, "I think sailing makes you a better person."

Watch her interview.... Never sailed before except for Clipper training, her take away, "I think sailing makes you a better person."

....oh yeh,,missed that...it helps personify her some. Good to see she's done some physical stuff,, but strange that she did a week of Clipper training there's lots of sailing footage,, yet there's none of her but the rather bimbo,loose hair stuff.

..the loose hair on a yacht drives me the wrong sort of crazy....tie your hair back if yer wanna keep it! :mellow::wacko:

Yeah I'd definitely kick her off my boat over the loose hair. Plus, pointy elbows.

JFC you guys -- Clipper is probably very very happy to have a client that brings such great publicity.

Give the young lady a break. She is doing something that many of us wish we coulda shoulda done but didn't.

Why wouldn't they use her for great publicity?

strange that she did a week of Clipper training there's lots of sailing footage,, yet there's none of her but the rather bimbo,loose hair stuff.

..the loose hair on a yacht drives me the wrong sort of crazy....tie your hair back if yer wanna keep it! :mellow::wacko:

Holy shit. Has any woman actually let you into her vagina?

Holy shit. Has any woman actually let you into her vagina?

Holy shit. What an ASSHOLE <_< ,,,ohhh I forgot,,you run this place

. ....make that -double- A-hole!! :lol::lol:

Sure, if you're gay, I can understand why she might not be your pick of the litter, but these are co-ed, low-performance barges tooling across the Atlantic at maybe 12 knots - not exactly Volvo or maxi conditions - she'll fit in just fine.

+1000

and I'm pretty sure you know that yacht clubs are the reason there aren't more women in sailing

No. The reason there aren't more of us is bc of everything being said in this thread. Assume we're stupid or incapable if we're pretty, complain there are no hot women if we're not pretty. Prattle on endlessly about pussy when we're aboard despite never having experienced it in any quality sense. Act like they all know sooo much better than we do. Nitpick outfits. Nitpick hair. Etc etc. Holy fuck, people....you are all so offputting!

Exanzio and moonduster nailed it.

The loose hair is kinda a big deal though, hair caught in blocks is not fun, hair caught in a pedastal at full speed would be bloody ugly.

I lost a chunk of hair that got caught in a mainsheet block, luckily only a small bit. Hurt like a fucker, and I was lucky it was only a small sheet ease, not a bearaway around the top mark or something similar with high line speed

The whole premise the thread is pretty sexist, what are the odds she will be any more painful after a week or two at sea than a middle aged banker having his midlife crisis, or any of the other complete newbies onboard.

She has more than a clue and has a gsoh, I sincerely hope she gets to do meaningful work onboard and I'm looking forward to seeing an interview on the other side. And I'm a wee bit jealous !

Good luck Amy, enjoy the journey.

Anyone who's into sailing and wants to give it a go, have at it-

Good on her- hope she has a good go of it and sticks with it-

She's no different than any guy who's never sailed and bought in- actually probably better as I doubt she carries the male ego-

+1000

No. The reason there aren't more of us is bc of everything being said in this thread. Assume we're stupid or incapable if we're pretty, complain there are no hot women if we're not pretty. Prattle on endlessly about pussy when we're aboard despite never having experienced it in any quality sense. Act like they all know sooo much better than we do. Nitpick outfits. Nitpick hair. Etc etc. Holy fuck, people....you are all so offputting!

+1

Nah, I think the main reason is that sailing just isn't a typically female interest.

So.... Someone with basically no prior experience did make it through Clipper training and still wants to go. Is Amy really any different from many other Clipper clients? I don't think so.

Most annoying to me is the lacking attention to detail displayed on the promo material. - And I absolutely do mean the production crew.

How much effort is it to tell her to grip the grinder "right"? To move the boat in of the dock. Or to pick a shot that does not have the closed sail cover in it. (Or to crop that pic in post!).

Maybe most importantly, why not throw in a shot or two from the training into the media package. The fully suited up with a hat on and water to the face type. That should have stopped this discussion about being fake real quick.

Now I ask myself: Does she pay to play as all the clients in the Clipper game do? - Or, contrary to all the SA hazing, did she actually make crew and gets paid?

Some of you are dorks

If she wanted to come sailing on your boat how many of you would say "No"?

Good on her

Dr Dave

She'll have paid. But might have got mates' rates in exchange for agreeing to be in some publicity.

And they don't really care what sailors think. Their prime market isn't people who sail, it's people who want an adventure.

Most annoying to me is the lacking attention to detail displayed on the promo material. - And I absolutely do mean the production crew.

How much effort is it to tell her to grip the grinder "right"? To move the boat in of the dock. Or to pick a shot that does not have the closed sail cover in it. (Or to crop that pic in post!).

Maybe most importantly, why not throw in a shot or two from the training into the media package. The fully suited up with a hat on and water to the face type. That should have stopped this discussion about being fake real quick.

The loose hair is kinda a big deal though, hair caught in blocks is not fun, hair caught in a pedastal at full speed would be bloody ugly.

I lost a chunk of hair that got caught in a mainsheet block, luckily only a small bit. Hurt like a fucker, and I was lucky it was only a small sheet ease, not a bearaway around the top mark or something similar with high line speed

....totally agree. As much as I think she's doing the leg for her own genuine interest, and all power to her, methinks Clipper loses a lot of cred for promo pics like the one below,, but as PresEd says,,,I guess they care what actual sailors think about as much as I care 'bout Clean :mellow:<_<

Alt_2232.jpg

Nah, I think the main reason is that sailing just isn't a typically female interest.

Girls tend to do quite well in the opti class, but if they want to continue with dinghy sailing, then most boats are designed by men for men, which is a problem.

Girls tend to do quite well in the opti class, but if they want to continue with dinghy sailing, then most boats are designed by men for men, which is a problem.

Well, on bigger boats there's no problem for them, if they're interested. Not everybody starts when they are kids, you know :) We had a funny experience this summer. A co-ed team in Sweden decided to split into a male and a female team for one ocean race. I joined the female team, even if I normally wouldn't do that, on an archambault 35. The guys sailed a mumm36. We totally crushed the guys, and the talk after wasn't about male or female at all, just about what the tactics had been for the race.

(they decided to sell the mumm shortly after, though.....hm)

....totally agree. As much as I think she's doing the leg for her own genuine interest, and all power to her, methinks Clipper loses a lot of cred for promo pics like the one below,, but as PresEd says,,,I guess they care what actual sailors think about as much as I care 'bout Clean :mellow:<_<

Alt_2232.jpg

Oh for fucks sake-

In context it's perfectly fine- no different than any other ridiculous athletic poses photographers place anyone else- it's PR, PR does stupid shit because they know PR, they haven't a fucking clue about sailing.

No different than PR having Rhonda Rousey posed with bs facial expressions for whatever event they were shooting. And, Did it matter? Was her stance correct? Was her pose realistic?

Who fucking cared?

I have yet to see a photo of anyone, male or female, that doesn't look like a total douche ferret when some photographer poses you on a boat especially on the fucking cliche' fucking pedestals. " ok hold these, unzip that, look over towards Raphael... try not to over douche it this time....nice".

Smh...

Well, on bigger boats there's no problem for them, if they're interested. Not everybody starts when they are kids, you know :) We had a funny experience this summer. A co-ed team in Sweden decided to split into a male and a female team for one ocean race. I joined the female team, even if I normally wouldn't do that, on an archambault 35. The guys sailed a mumm36. We totally crushed the guys, and the talk after wasn't about male or female at all, just about what the tactics had been for the race.

(they decided to sell the mumm shortly after, though.....hm)

Sounds like a lotta fun :) Regardless of the results, I would probably have sold the Mumm. Interestingly it has a higher IRC rating than the A35, although I doubt that it is any faster on the water. Probably a result of it being IMS optimised.

And yes you are correct. You can start sailing as an adult too. In my yacht club back in Finland, where I learned to sail, we have a decent Match Racing center that has attracted a lot of women new to sailing. It seems though, that if you want to become a good helmsman, it will help with some dinghy experience.

Of course it's promo. Cheap & fast promo while we are at it. But that does not mean that it's forbidden to get details right. Just a bit. Or to include a few real bits. No need to go all Laibach on the unsuspecting yachting media.

[Laibach did two complete sets of promo material for one of their albums. One in US uniforms, the other in Nazi regalia. Magazines and media were always supplied with both of versions and told to use whatever they wanted. Each and everyone decided to go with the Nazi theme. The whole process and result was actually an extensively documented art project culminating an exhibition.]

Heck, better to do a leg of the Clipper race after I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! then moving on to The Bachelor. :rolleyes:

+1000

Maybe, but after asking about 1000 women about it, the historical fact is that a significant majority of yacht clubs have only allowed women to join as members for a few decades. A still large number have started welcoming women in the 2000s. And a still not insignificant number does not allow single women to join their clubs as members.

Your complaints are a big part of it that's seen every day aboard racing boats, but keep in mind that for the better part of the history of sailing, you weren't even on the boat.

I have yet to see a photo of anyone, male or female, that doesn't look like a total douche ferret when some photographer poses you on a boat especially on the fucking cliche' fucking pedestals. " ok hold these, unzip that, look over towards Raphael... try not to over douche it this time....nice".

Not just photos. Anything technical that is aimed at the general public (rather than a relevantly technical audience) will be low on accuracy, be it photo or film. Top Gun on flying, Days of Thunder on cars, any rowing/cycling/sailing film. How easy it is to hack into a database... etc. etc.

So.... Someone with basically no prior experience did make it through Clipper training and still wants to go. Is Amy really any different from many other Clipper clients? I don't think so.

It's the fucking clipper chasm. The CLIPPER. Assuming they have someone competent doing 'promo material' or indeed anything else is a bad idea.

You fucking fucks wonder why there aren't more women sailing with the same smelly fingers you type this drivel about a total babe with more sense of adventure than you'll ever have.

Sure, if you're gay, I can understand why she might not be your pick of the litter, but these are co-ed, low-performance barges tooling across the Atlantic at maybe 12 knots - not exactly Volvo or maxi conditions - she'll fit in just fine. I'd much rather hot bunk or stand a watch with her than with scooter, block head or 3/4 of the people who post here.

What a bunch of asses.

^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fucking bunch of neanderthals <_< <_<

Yes some of you are being jerks. All you know is that an extremely attractive woman who is not an expert sailor is doing one of the Clipper races. You don't know anything about her behavior or personality at all.

and this

+1000

and most definitly this

Tricky, as they're both now dead. Jenifer Paterson (on the right above) in 99, and Clarissa Dickson Wright last year.

Damn man, what a shame. What did her in?

+1000

Maybe, but after asking about 1000 women about it, the historical fact is that a significant majority of yacht clubs have only allowed women to join as members for a few decades. A still large number have started welcoming women in the 2000s. And a still not insignificant number does not allow single women to join their clubs as members.

Your complaints are a big part of it that's seen every day aboard racing boats, but keep in mind that for the better part of the history of sailing, you weren't even on the boat.

You're not wrong here -- a lot of the clubs are very slow to change. But one does not need a yacht club to be able to sail/race (with a nod to the fact that being barred from one certainly would not do much to make one feel welcome in the sport in general). However, the same could be said about country clubs and golf, and it seems a lot more women are playing golf.

That being said, when I get to the end of keelboat season and I finally get to go back to frostbiting with just one person who I pick to race (knowing he or she won't piss me off), my feeling of "thank god that's over for a while!" is never due to yacht clubs. It is always due to other sailors' attitudes, the petty judgment, the paternalism, the conformism, the superficiality, the assumption I don't know what I'm doing based on my gender or appearance, the being denied XYZ position on a boat bc the owner would rather have a guy.... All that shit can go to straight to hell. It's exhausting and childish.

+1000

That being said, when I get to the end of keelboat season and I finally get to go back to frostbiting with just one person who I pick to race (knowing he or she won't piss me off), my feeling of "thank god that's over for a while!" is never due to yacht clubs. It is always due to other sailors' attitudes, the petty judgment, the paternalism, the conformism, the superficiality, the assumption I don't know what I'm doing based on my gender or appearance, the being denied XYZ position on a boat bc the owner would rather have a guy.... All that shit can go to straight to hell. It's exhausting and childish.

Believe me, I get it. It took a long time to find boats that had educated, non-sexist crews for Mer to race with; I literally knocked a guy on his ass for ripping a halyard out of her hand during a hoist - a hoist that would have taken twice as long as Mer's if this fat, old, unfit dickhead went through with it.

The good news is that the 20 somethings think it is ridiculous, so all we need to do is wait another two decades until they are a majority in boat ownership. And once more, the story of progressive change in yachting is all about waiting for a few assholes to die.

Damn man, what a shame. What did her in?

Drinking (and partying) through £2.8 million (when £2.8 million was a decent amount of cash) didn't help.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/mar/17/clarissa-dickson-wright

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/tv-radio-obituaries/10702886/Clarissa-Dickson-Wright-obituary.html

And from the Grauniad, I find that her full name was the rather wonderful Clarissa Theresa Philomena Aileen Mary Josephine Agnes Elsie Trilby Louise Esmerelda Dickson Wright

Oh, and +1 to mad.