BeerPal

Plans To Redevelop Alameda Marina In The Works

Thanks for the reports, I hope the council sees the light.

I find it interesting that Poland left the meeting early. Either he knew he was against an angry mob, or he feels that he's already got the council in his pocket.

My suspicion is option #2.

-MH

I am not knowledgeable regarding development issues, but I thought that development near the coast required approval from the California Coastal Commission. It is my understanding that Calif. Coastal Commission is suppose to give priority to uses that are "marine dependent". I thought the purpose of the Commission was to protect resources, like coastal access, from development or at least balance public use against private interests.

Actually, I just checked, and the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission (BCDC) has jurisdiction for SF Bay. There mandate is to assure "maximum feasible public access" within the Bay's shoreline band.

You might want to have some one check with BCDC to see if they have jurisdiction and whether the developer has already started the permit process with BCDC.

I'm a complete head-up-my-ass fuckwit and wrote the date down wrong in my calendar, so I wasn't there....after all the work I've done on this. Pretty humiliating.

Anyway, I'm glad it went well.

The mayor is one of the strongly pro-housing advocates on the council. However, there are five votes and she has only one.

The Vice Mayor sent me a very nice response, if someone can talk with him and find out which council members need more information it might be helpful.

Good luck!!!!

John

Here's the "semi-official" (not all that official) summary from SAWWaction on how the meeting went.

=================================

Save Alameda’s Working Waterfront (SAWW)
Alameda City Council Meeting – What Happened?

Many supporters attended the Alameda City Council Meeting on March 1 (http://alameda.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=6&clip_id=1720 Item 9A) to hear 25 speakers talk about all aspects of the Alameda Marina and possible development. Due to other items on the agenda, we did not get to speak until about 11:00 p.m. Thankfully, everyone patiently stayed to let the city council know we supported Frank Matarrese’s referral. This referral was to ask his fellow council members to direct the city staff to determine a way to keep commercial businesses intact when development threatens the existence of businesses for the sake of building lucrative market-rate housing.

Of the speakers, only one spoke in favor of housing which is amazing considering how politically active the pro-housing activists are in Alameda.
The interim city manager stated to the council that the staff had a plan to deal with this issue but the council still opted to hear the speakers.
After all the speakers were heard, the council members talked about the tour they will take on March 11th to view all the upcoming development projects that are on mixed use zoned properties. They will return to this discussion at one of the April meetings when they would direct the staff to create directions for developers who want to submit Master Plans for these parcels that are zoned mixed-use throughout the city.

Most of the council members did not realize the urgency of this discussion because the hope is to have something in place before the developer submits a master plan for consideration. One council member mentioned that the city should move in a timely manner in fairness to developers. In a brief exchange with the Mayor after the meeting, she privately acknowledged the need to move quickly and expressed interest in following up with pursuing the designation of the Alameda Marina in the National Registry of Historic Places.

The following day, SAWW members who are on a sub-committee for re-zoning met with the city planner who outlined the city staff path for moving forward. He said after the tour, our committee will work with the city to develop requirements for developers to present at the April meeting.

It was very important for the city council to hear from all the speakers so they could understand the importance of Alameda Marina to all boaters, business owners, their staff and concerned Alameda Citizens. All the speakers did a great job.

In the meantime, the organization, Save Alameda’s Working Waterfront, needs some help. We are looking for volunteers to make phone calls to marina businesses to find out the number of employees at each and we need someone to take over sending out information as needed using the SAWW server. Please join the group at join@sawwaction.org and offer your time to help. We will also need people to hand out flyers in the near future.

==========================================

AND

Nothing new to see in this article, but it's finally online, so here's the link. Yes, that's me, referred to in the article.

http://www.alamedamagazine.com/Choppy-Water-at-the-Alameda-Marina/

I am not knowledgeable regarding development issues, but I thought that development near the coast required approval from the California Coastal Commission. It is my understanding that Calif. Coastal Commission is suppose to give priority to uses that are "marine dependent". I thought the purpose of the Commission was to protect resources, like coastal access, from development or at least balance public use against private interests.

Actually, I just checked, and the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission (BCDC) has jurisdiction for SF Bay. There mandate is to assure "maximum feasible public access" within the Bay's shoreline band.

You might want to have some one check with BCDC to see if they have jurisdiction and whether the developer has already started the permit process with BCDC.

My understanding is that they have not yet filed. Bill Poland is no dummy and he's been in the development business for years, but I suspect that he's not acquainted with waterfront developments ins and outs.

Darn. That just breaks my heart. <_<

The City Council will be touring the Marina starting at about 9:00 AM on Friday march 11th. It would be THE BOMB if we could be launching a boat from a hoist, to illustrate the importance of the dry storage to them. I will be there with donuts and coffee!

Anybody got a dry-stored boat at the Marina that can use the 2-ton hoist?

The Council arrived more or less on time to their drop-off at the Island Yacht Club thiis morning.. Bill Poland and the harbormaster were in attendance. I wasn't there, I was over by the 2-ton hoist, but the chitchat must have gone on for a while 'cause we were standing there for quite some time. They were met by a contingent of sailors and several representatives of the IYC. This is GOOD.

The Council decided to take a walking tour around the central marina rather than by van. They came over to the 2-ton hoist about 9:30 and saw Karl Robrocks Moore 24 use the hoist to get launched off the trailer and dropped into the water. I saw three people snapping cellphone pics, but not sure if they were council members or not. THANK YOU to Karl Robrock for taking time out of his day to do this.

Once that was done I walked over and hung out with solosailor for a while at the big hoist, but the rain came on pretty seriously at that point. I did a little walking search for the Council, but didn't see them, so they probably never got over to the East dry storage. THANK YOU to solosailor for sitting/standing around in the rain for an hour and a half, with no City Council to show off to.
Now, the newest tidbit.... Karl told me that a friend of his is moving down to the Bay Area from the PNW and bringing his Moore 24 with him. His friend called the Alameda Marina Harbormasters office to ask to set up a dry storage berth. The answer..""There's no availability"... which is bullshit, of course.

After talking to some folks, the guys wife called back and asked what the deal was. They'd heard from a bunch of people that there was all kinds of space available. Apparently the harbormaster replied .... this is more or less a quote... "I was told to say that.".

So.... draw your own conclusions.

Sounds like a plan to make it look empty "See, we might as well build houses. There's no demand for dry storage space!"

Heard the pitch at the SSS TBF skipper meeting. I want to get involved and have much skills to offer.

could someone post information on who to contact and how to help?

Heard the pitch at the SSS TBF skipper meeting. I want to get involved and have much skills to offer.

could someone post information on who to contact and how to help?

PM sent with email contacts. Save Alameda's Working Waterfront has a placeholder website http://sawwaction.org/ and a Facebook page, but not much there.

Call to action-  Tuesday May 29th Alameda Planning Board Decision on 
Alameda Marina

Greetings from Save Alameda’s Working Waterfront (SAWW) the original 
citizen’s volunteer group founded in Nov 2015 in response to Bay West 
announced plans for Alameda Marina. We are low budget, low tech but 
energetic and passionately involved www.sawwaction.org and could use 
your support at this critical time by attending the May 29th Planning 
Board decision meeting and sending in email to oppose the proposal. 
Details follow.

Bay West has a major campaign asking people to email City of Alameda 
Government in favor of their Master Plan before this May 29th Planning 
Board meeting to decide on their proposed plan. Don’t be confused with 
their new slogan that includes “working”.

We are asking you to do the same and provide for your convenience a 
template form letter below to oppose the most recent proposal.

Please send email before May 29th Planning Board Meeting on the 
Alameda Marina proposal. Attend if possible and sign up to speak (or 
signup to cede time to SAWW).

City Calendar
https://alameda.legistar.com/MeetingDetail.aspx?ID=593755&GUID=D20C9982-A2EB-4C45-BBDE-BD3E629BC688&Search=

Details
https://alameda.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=3505996&GUID=DEA0906C-DBB9-4088-B5F0-2C10D16B27BD&Options=&Search=

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2018-05-25#Story2

==================================================

If you don't like the idea of essentially destroying the Alameda Marina land operations, this is your penultimate chance to speak up. Crunch Time is tomorrow, the 29th. Have you groused about it but not done anything?. Here's your next-to-last chance to speak up. What the planning board recommends to the City Council will almost certainly be approved. The City Council meeting will be the LAST chance, but by then it's a done-deal. It's been over a two-year process. If you have an opinion, but just haven't had time to do anything, NOW is the time to do SOMETHING.

Good luck.

How well have the developers paid the council making the decision?

Really, really sick of the attitude that "I'm not gonna do anything because everything is corrupt and nothing I can do will ever make a difference".

REALLY sick of that.  If the council and commission had been bribed to the gills, then why would this have dragged on for over two years?  I don't like Bill Poland one tiny little bit. I don't like how he runs his business, what he's done to the Marina..none of it.
But the truth remains that two and a half years ago he announced that he'd be bulldozing the place in a year and all the business owners had better get the hell out because he didn't care about them.  It's two and a half years later. He's spent a buttload of money. If every single public employee was paid off, JonB, this would have been a done deal a long time ago.

I PERSONALLY know the City of Alameda Planning Board staff director.  My reaction to your comment that  Andrew is taking Bribes is FUCK YOU.

• Like 1

For those wishing to write the City Council BEFORE TOMORROW NIGHTS MEETING here is a sample letter from SAWW - please revise as you desire:

This letter is
available at https://app.box.com/s/38sz3lh72jl8tsdxy0ltx8wjp2hige5v

Form letter to send (revise if you desire) >>>

TO:
rcurtis@alamedaca.gov, jcavanaugh@alamedaca.gov,
dmitchell@alamedaca.gov, ssullivan@alamedaca.gov,
ateague@alamedaca.gov, nmcpeak@alamedaca.gov, spencer@alamedaca.gov,
mvella@alamedaca.gov, fmatarrese@alamedaca.gov,
mezzyashcraft@alamedaca.gov, joddie@alamedaca.gov,
lweisiger@alamedaca.gov, lwarmerdam@alamedaca.gov,
manager@alamedaca.gov, jkern@alamedaca.gov, info@sawwaction.org

Subject:
No to Bay West Proposal at Alameda Marina

I am opposed to the BAY WEST Proposal for Alameda Marina (attachment
A1 and
https://alameda.legistar.com/Legisla...ptions=&Search ). Alameda Marina is a regional asset and an essential part of the greater boating community
ecosystem.

1- The boatyard proposal is inadequate to support the existing boating
community let alone growth with additional marinas along the estuary
and regionally. We need a functional equivalent to Svendsen’s with
travel lift haul outs and the elevator for floating homes and boats
too large for the travel lift. Boatyards are disappearing at an
alarming rate and are nearly impossible to regain. Do it yourself
boatyards such as Svendsen's are even rarer and help keep water access
affordable.

2- The mast-up dry storage area is inadequate in space size and
quantity. The logistics of the proposed layout do not seem feasible
from an operational point of view- especially during surge times of
race days, weekends, and holidays. Mast up dry storage is more
environmentally friendly and more affordable. The at the location on
the west end shown in the plan is extremely shallow and would require
massive dredging efforts with possible toxic environmental issues due
to previous use as military shipyard. The logistics of boats queuing
up on land and on water are challenging, at best, in the proposal.
These logistics issues are readily addressed by the existing 3 ton
hoist area and the previous 2 ton hoist area with an inbound and
outbound lane to the hoists and large adjacent side tie docks. The dry
storage mast up area should be comparable to the capability of mid
2015 with 2 hoists (2 ton and 3 ton). For improved logistics each
should be 3 ton capacity.

3-Marina Wet berth vehicle parking quantity and logistics seem
inadequate to support the marina use. It is common for boaters to
transport boating gear, food, foul weather clothing to/from boat and
vehicle.

Thanks for your attention and this opportunity to support affordable
water access
(Your name)

<< End form letter

*Contacts to be included in mailings:
Cut and paste in your email

TO:
rcurtis@alamedaca.gov, jcavanaugh@alamedaca.gov,
dmitchell@alamedaca.gov, ssullivan@alamedaca.gov,
ateague@alamedaca.gov, nmcpeak@alamedaca.gov, spencer@alamedaca.gov,,
mvella@alamedaca.gov, fmatarrese@alamedaca.gov,
mezzyashcraft@alamedaca.gov, joddie@alamedaca.gov,
lweisiger@alamedaca.gov, lwarmerdam@alamedaca.gov,
manager@alamedaca.gov, jkern@alamedaca.gov, info@sawwaction.org

Planning Board
David Burton Recused (working for the developer)
Ronald Curtis rcurtis@alamedaca.gov
Jeffrey Cavanaugh jcavanaugh@alamedaca.gov
David Mitchell dmitchell@alamedaca.gov
Sandy Sullivan ssullivan@alamedaca.gov
Alan Teague ateague@alamedaca.gov
Nancy McPeak (clerk) nmcpeak@alamedaca.gov (include for public record)
One seat is vacant

City Council
Mayor Trish Spencer spencer@alamedaca.gov
Vice Mayor Melia Vella mvella@alamedaca.gov
Council Member Frank Matarrese fmatarrese@alamedaca.gov
Council Member Marlyn Ashcraft mezzyashcraft@alamedaca.gov
Council Member Jim Oddie joddie@alamedaca.gov

City Clerk Lara Weisiger lweisiger@alamedaca.gov
Acting City Manager Liz Warmerdam lwarmerdam@alamedaca.gov or
manager@alamedaca.gov City Attorney Janet Kern jkern@alamedaca.gov

SAWW info@sawwaction.org

I am opposed to the BAY WEST Proposal for Alameda Marina.  The  Alameda Marina is a  Bay-Area-Wide asset and the businesses housed there are vital to the greater Bay Area boating community.  The Marina provides a site where scores of jobs are available for local residents. There are other places on Alameda where housing can be built.

The boatyard proposal is inadequate to support the existing boating community. Svendsens Marine was a prosperous and thriving business until poisonous relations with the developer forced the Svendsens family to sell.  Bay Ship  has closed operations simply because working with Bay West and Pacific Shops is so toxic.  DOER Marine has already been forced out.   The Bay Area boating community needs a yard t at the Marina  with travel lift  and the elevator  as it currently exists.  Jobs have been lost to Svendsens being sold and the resulting closing of the yard. Those jobs should come back.

The proposed   dry storage area is  preposterously  inadequate in  every way. The number of dry storage spaces is a fraction of what is needed, but worse, the size of the spaces is  so tiny that almost no boats currently in storage there will be able to continue. The Alameda Marina has the only...THE ONLY remaining three ton hoist between Los Angeles and Portland.  The proposed plan will remove. it.    Dry boat storage is more environmentally friendly and more affordable than in-water storage.   Bay Wests plan may look good to someone who doesn't launch a boat, but it is in fact completely, preposterously inadequate.

The entire issue of parking and transportation to the Marina and within the Marina, both for boaters and residents is wildly  underestimated.  NO provision is made for boat-owner parking. None.

Until the current owner made it impossible for me to dry-store my boat at the Alameda Marina, I was a regular visitor to Alameda. I bought supplies at Pagano's Hardware, bought lunches at Delis on the island, had breakfast at restaurants on the island. I filled up my truck gas tank at the Chevron on Buena Vista a hundred times, spent money at the West Marine Store  on Alameda.  Since the ongoing destruction of the Alameda Marina Environment has begun, I have yet to be back to the island. I'm spending my money elsewhere. I'm not the only person who has done this.   When you vote, you could change that, and bring business and jobs back to Alameda..

I strongly advise you to NOT APPROVE   Bay Wests Master Plan for the Alameda Marina.

Alan Hebert

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan H said:

I PERSONALLY know the City of Alameda Planning Board staff director.  My reaction to your comment that  Andrew is taking Bribes is FUCK YOU.

I recommend the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

2 hours ago, Alan H said:

Really, really sick of the attitude that "I'm not gonna do anything because everything is corrupt and nothing I can do will ever make a difference".

REALLY sick of that.  If the council and commission had been bribed to the gills, then why would this have dragged on for over two years?  I don't like Bill Poland one tiny little bit. I don't like how he runs his business, what he's done to the Marina..none of it.
But the truth remains that two and a half years ago he announced that he'd be bulldozing the place in a year and all the business owners had better get the hell out because he didn't care about them.  It's two and a half years later. He's spent a buttload of money. If every single public employee was paid off, JonB, this would have been a done deal a long time ago.

Not bribes - political support and contributions. ;)

I'm basing my attitude on what goes on here. Projects are proposed and public hearings held. The majority object and it goes away for 2 to 5 years. Then it gets proposed again, public hearings are held again and wonder of wonders - the majority now support it.

Then they go ahead with what they originally planned. The "public consultation process" is a farce.

It's currently happening with a couple of high rise apartments that no one wants at Park Royal. It's happening exactly as I described and as I said it would when it was first proposed several years ago.

I just assumed it was the same everywhere.

Oh, there's dirt.  There's a cute tie-in with the family of probably the slimiest east bay politician of the past 50 years.  He was never convicted, eh?  So pillars of smoke miles high in the sky don't necessarily mean there's a fire, right?    Polands use of threatened lawsuits just stinks.  Has he done anything  Illegal? Not that I'm aware of.  Are his tactics disgusting, bullying BS?  In my opinion, yes.

But I have met, personally, several times the staff person who's the main liaison with the planning board and Andrew has been nothing but professional and competent. It's my OPINION...he's never said so directly to me.... that he'd rather the marina weren't developed. At no time have I ever caught the slightest whiff of him doing anything illicit or biased in either direction.  Never..   So  the suggestion that the City staff has been paid off.... just..no.. NO, and it makes me really angry that some folks assume that's how it is everywhere.

There are boaters on the City Council. The previous mayor had an Islander 30 for years and years. There are members of the City  Council who are clearly NOT on board with this proposal from Bay West. I rather strongly doubt they've been "bought off".

I don't know anybody on the Planning Board and can't speak to that.

Twenty years ago, there were two nice marinas, a boat yard, and a couple of seafood restaurants at Willoughby Bay in Norfolk, VA.  A developer bought the boatyard and one of the seafood restaurants, leveled the buildings, started the foundations for a bunch of condos, and then went bankrupt.  The smaller of the two marinas seems to still be doing okay.  It caters to larger boats.  The larger of the two marinas now seems at least partially derelict.  Many of the boats in that marina also appear derelict.  Part of the problem is that there is no longer a boatyard nearby that can do even the most basic maintenance.

City planners seem to view marinas as amenities and boatyards as eyesores.  There is a lack of understanding that boatyards are necessary in order to have viable marinas.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Not bribes - political support and contributions. ;)

I'm basing my attitude on what goes on here. Projects are proposed and public hearings held. The majority object and it goes away for 2 to 5 years. Then it gets proposed again, public hearings are held again and wonder of wonders - the majority now support it.

Then they go ahead with what they originally planned. The "public consultation process" is a farce.

It's currently happening with a couple of high rise apartments that no one wants at Park Royal. It's happening exactly as I described and as I said it would when it was first proposed several years ago.

I just assumed it was the same everywhere.

Same thing happened in Seattle with the Mariners' baseball stadium. Just before the public vote that authorized it (after the public votes against it) I happened to be touring a machine shop we were considering as a supplier.

"What are those big stainless steel cylinders on those pallets?"

"Those are bearings for the retractable roof stadium."

"Really? They've starting fabrication before the vote?"

"It'll pass."

• Like 1

Currently have Lioness hauled at Grand Marina's Boatyard, and while they are working on the stuffing box and bottom job etc, doing what I can regarding topside. I believe they are the only place left in Oakland/Alameda that can haul at 10 ton, 40' sailboat other than the Bay Ship floating drydock. Lack of an adjacent full service chandlery (Blue Pelican has some fittings/screws etc) makes the jobs take longer. Having to drive cross island to West/Pagano's.

Drove up to Richmond for the Expedition seminar last week, and stopped in at the new Svendsens, it's a shadow of the Alameda operation.

Sad to see the change, what was a reasonable boat yard, is now crammed into a narrow lot adjacent to a lumber yard. KKMI by comparison was open and accessible.

The current political environment will not support recreational facilities for "elite" usage, and frankly that's what we are doing. As environmental constraints increase the do it yourself yards will pretty much go away.

At this point if I wanted to re-do my Awlgrip, I might be able to tip and roll at Grand, to spray would be going to Napa or Santa Cruz/Moss Landing. Might have to re-do the decks, sanding with my Festools with a generator at anchor over in Alaska Packer cove with the derelicts. 

9 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Currently have Lioness hauled at Grand Marina's Boatyard, and while they are working on the stuffing box and bottom job etc, doing what I can regarding topside. I believe they are the only place left in Oakland/Alameda that can haul at 10 ton, 40' sailboat other than the Bay Ship floating drydock. Lack of an adjacent full service chandlery (Blue Pelican has some fittings/screws etc) makes the jobs take longer. Having to drive cross island to West/Pagano's.

Drove up to Richmond for the Expedition seminar last week, and stopped in at the new Svendsens, it's a shadow of the Alameda operation.

Sad to see the change, what was a reasonable boat yard, is now crammed into a narrow lot adjacent to a lumber yard. KKMI by comparison was open and accessible.

The current political environment will not support recreational facilities for "elite" usage, and frankly that's what we are doing. As environmental constraints increase the do it yourself yards will pretty much go away.

At this point if I wanted to re-do my Awlgrip, I might be able to tip and roll at Grand, to spray would be going to Napa or Santa Cruz/Moss Landing. Might have to re-do the decks, sanding with my Festools with a generator at anchor over in Alaska Packer cove with the derelicts. 

Try Vallejo Boatworks. They spray Awlgrip. I saw a couple of completed jobs while handheld there. (doing all my own work)

Small yard, depth is an issue if you don't pay attention to the tide chart. I draw 7' 3" and got out fine. I screwed up the printed tide charts and mixed up days so sat in the mud for an hour and a half on the way in...

Friendly crew, reasonable rates. Overall great experience.

Neither KKMI Richmond or Bay Marine/Svendsen's allow much do it your self anymore. When I checked the day rates for Bay Marine on-line the dockside day rate was shown as $2 per foot per day and on the hard at $4 per foot per day. I thought it was a typo so I called and asked if they had it backwards...Nope.

P.S. I have a pair of 3M faring boards if you want to borrow them.

• Downvote 1

This is the way developers work. There is money in it for them, and they have time. There is no money in it for you, and you don't have the time. The usual formula is to propose something outrageous and let the public vent. Meantime you cultivate the officials. Just because you know one staffer that hasn't been cultivated, doesn't mean many others, and their elected masters, have not. The cultivation isn't done with bags of unmarked $20 bills in dark alleys - much more subtle than that. Then you come back in a year or two with a more modest proposal, saying you've cut back out of concerns for the community. Let the public vent again. Maybe this time it goes through. If not, in a year or two, come back with a slightly more modest proposal, what you really wanted to build in the first place. By now the public is spent from venting, they believe they have gotten some concessions and they don't show up. Meanwhile the officials that have fattened on your free lunches fall into line. 

It's a time worn, proven formula. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, familysailor said:

Try Vallejo Boatworks. They spray Awlgrip. I saw a couple of completed jobs while handheld there. (doing all my own work)

Small yard, depth is an issue if you don't pay attention to the tide chart. I draw 7' 3" and got out fine. I screwed up the printed tide charts and mixed up days so sat in the mud for an hour and a half on the way in...

Friendly crew, reasonable rates. Overall great experience.

Neither KKMI Richmond or Bay Marine/Svendsen's allow much do it your self anymore. When I checked the day rates for Bay Marine on-line the dockside day rate was shown as $2 per foot per day and on the hard at $4 per foot per day. I thought it was a typo so I called and asked if they had it backwards...Nope.

P.S. I have a pair of 3M faring boards if you want to borrow them.

We only draw 4'3" with board up, so depth not an issue, but I live in Morgan Hill, so that's way too far away to be sensible to do my own work, and I can get Awlgrip done professionally closer.  

The Deck/cabin/cockpit work can be done while afloat, just need to control the dust, which Festools are good at. Running a sander for hours a day in the slip is not generally a congenial activity at a yacht club, though during the week would probably not be a big issue. I can retrieve my gas generator, and go anchor out as needed to make it a non issue. 

If I am going to have the boat "re-painted" including topsides/deck/cabin it would be well worth having the old 1962 Gelcoat peeled. At which point it's probably worth sending here to Watsonville for Elkhorn Composites to freshen up. 

• Like 1

Release from Becca Perata, whom I won't associate with as the one time I met her I was pretty sure I needed to take a shower, afterwards, even though she was three feet away...

Alameda Planning Board Unanimously Moves Forward Redevelopment Plans for Alameda Marina

Last night, in a 5-0 vote, the Alameda Planning Board unanimously approved the Alameda Marina master plan and adopted the EIR, moving the proposal forward to city council in July.

Thank you to the many who came out to share your voice and show support. After more than two years of community feedback and compromise, together with our city leaders and staff, we crafted a sustainable plan to create a Waterfront that Works!

Please visit our website to stay informed.

Thank you,
Becca Perata for Alameda Marina

===================================

While discouraging, this is not a surprise.  The Planning Board is pretty strongly pro-development. Now the discussion goes to the City Council.  It will be "difficult" for the City Council to go against the recommendations of the Planning Board, but they can do it.  The Council is pretty evenly split between yes's and no's with two swing votes that could go either way.

There is still the entire permitting process that must be done.

2 hours ago, DDW said:

This is the way developers work. There is money in it for them, and they have time. There is no money in it for you, and you don't have the time. The usual formula is to propose something outrageous and let the public vent. Meantime you cultivate the officials. Just because you know one staffer that hasn't been cultivated, doesn't mean many others, and their elected masters, have not. The cultivation isn't done with bags of unmarked $20 bills in dark alleys - much more subtle than that. Then you come back in a year or two with a more modest proposal, saying you've cut back out of concerns for the community. Let the public vent again. Maybe this time it goes through. If not, in a year or two, come back with a slightly more modest proposal, what you really wanted to build in the first place. By now the public is spent from venting, they believe they have gotten some concessions and they don't show up. Meanwhile the officials that have fattened on your free lunches fall into line. 

It's a time worn, proven formula. 

That's exactly how it works here.

I suspect it's just the pols that get fat from the developers though, not the staff of the bureaucracy.

Campaign contributions - not bribes. ;)

In the case of my municipality a number of the pols ARE developers. Gotta have GROWTH!

As no locals have responded to this thread this time around, and all the posts in it are people from other parts of the country saying that we're wasting our time, the little guy can't do anything, everybody is crooked, it's all rigged, money buys everything and no politician has a soul or any ethics whatsoever,........ Since not one person can summon up enough mojo to even wish us a hope of success....  I'm just gonna let the thread die again.

22 minutes ago, Alan H said:

As no locals have responded to this thread this time around, and all the posts in it are people from other parts of the country saying that we're wasting our time, the little guy can't do anything, everybody is crooked, it's all rigged, money buys everything and no politician has a soul or any ethics whatsoever,........ Since not one person can summon up enough mojo to even wish us a hope of success....  I'm just gonna let the thread die again.

Dude, maybe you should lay off the coffee for a while. Nobody's saying it's hopeless, just that it's a modestly uphill battle that won't be fought just once. The fact that nobody local has piped up on this thread means nothing more than that it's probably not the best venue from which to organize the resistance.

Very rarely do you see a successful public put down of this kind of project. A friend of mine participated in such a put down (the Astoria gas pipeline). What they did was pick one of the elected officials and started a recall campaign. They picked a weak official, weak for a variety of unrelated reasons, but also one approving the program. They made the recall a one issue vote, all about the pipeline. Since there was weakness already, the official got recalled. They then made it known that other officials were in their sights for recall, and with the credibility of one success, a few swing votes swung their way. It takes significant time and effort, but the idea was to lean on the sorest pimple and get it to pop. Elected officials love their free lunches and backroom deals, but they love being elected officials even more - they can always find another patron. The recall gave them just enough backbone to keep from being bent. 

We beat a big development project that was going to grab a historic waterfront park as well as our non-profit sailing club. 

You can do a search of my name for a discussion of the tactics we used. 

That being said, the recession of 2008 came along at just the right time for us. 

And yeah, we heard all the time that "It's a done deal" and "there nothing we can do" -  bullshit !!

One would think that with a leftie political culture such as yours, some strong allies should be out there. 

Good luck !! 

On Tuesday night, after 38 speakers and at about 12:40 AM (technically Wednesday morning) the Alameda City Council approved the Master Plan for the Alameda Marina with a few admendments. Frank Mattarese stood firm and demanded that some language that would allow "maker spaces" and "art studios" in the dedicated "commercial Core" reserved for marine commercial business space be removed.

The proposal won a huge wave of support from the crowd, and while I would wish for a LOT more dry storage space, considering the city budget climate, heavy pressure from affordable housing groups and so on, this is about the best that could be hoped for. It's a far, far cry from Polands scorched earth proposal of three years ago. I would wish for 20% more boatyard space, but the fact that a boatyard is *extremely* high priority to be on-site is a miracle. It's not REQUIRED. There's a 6-month period where the City and Bay West are supposed to conduct a search to find an operator to run a boatyard at the Marina. The specifics of some of the layout, drainage, water processing and even one or two buildings that could be built, will depend on input from the boatyard operator. Here's the bitch. They have 6 months to identify operators who are interested and have experience running boatyards. After that, they have 6 months to pin down an actual operator. If they can't find candidates, the developer can go back to the City and request a major change like...."no Boatyard". The City could say "no...sorry, start over" or they could cave in and let the project go without a boatyard anyway.

The dry storage is set for 60 slots. I would wish for more like 100, but 60 is better than none. 760 housing units are planned; 50% rental, 50% to be sold. NO single-family homes are in the site, it's all apartments, condos and townhomes. The retail and marina parking issues are partially resolved with a huge lot of 350 spaces. I would wish for something more long the lines of a 200-space lot at one end and a 150-space lot at the other end, but at least there's parking. Two and a half years ago, there was NO parking, even a year ago NO parking. If the dry storage needs are enormous and parking needs not-so-much, a chain link fence can be moved and the lot can be re-striped.

25 million bucks goes towards rebuilding the seawall, which obvious is a major disaster waiting to happen.

There was an asinine idea put out about a "concierge" boat service function to operate out of the marina. Need a haul-out? The concierge truck will pick up your boat and haul it to a yard somewhere else. It's asinine, but there you go. Initially, if the dry-storage needs are not enough, the marina will provide "float-a-bote" equipped slips at the same price as a regular slip. Never mind that your keel and rudder are still in the water, and those things need repair all the time, but **whatever**.

The final conclusion is not ideal, from my perspective but it would be worse. Build-out is anticipated to start, if I remember rightly, in about 4 years. Finish date is about 10 years out. It'll be done in three phases. As each phase is completed, the seawall gets fixed in that area. The last phase is 7-10 years out, will build over where the current dry storage is located. so you tenants of the Alameda Marina dry storage have a good long while before your hoist and lot will go away.

BCDC and Army Corps of Engineers permitting is in the works, but has not been anywhere near completed.

===========================

As an aside, there is talk about adding more dry storage at the Encinal Terminals development site,  as the Planning Commission unanimously nixxed the 14-story proposal that was pitched to them for that site. If another 60-100 slots were added there, the total number of available dry storage slots would be back up to an acceptable level.

Good, if not exactly great, news !! 

For the rest of ya, remember that the only way for the bad guys to win is if you give up. 

La lucha sigue !! 

Thanks to AlanH for all the excellent comments, just read through the entire thread.

Could you explain what you mean by disaster with the seawall repair ?

Was at the hearing. 

Despite the late night loopiness, Mattarese made some , though small, amendments to the plan to help protect maritime use,

but yeah there is still that feeling that the  Boatyard  and Marina services aspect of this plan could die on the vine -as so many of the people who would care to input have left.

I just hope the Boatyard and related can still function and succeed considering the diminishment.

The city is under pressure due to the dilapidated conditions and need to repair the seawall.

Nice to see access to the waterfront for all, w/ put ins for kayaks and SUP, this is very attractive.

Shit man, I just had a bunch of shrouds swaged by Svendsen's at their new location in Richmond the other day.

Gotta drive through the ghetto to get there, but still just a stone's throw from KKMI on Cutting Blvd.

Sorry Alameda, if you want to chase out productive business and build condos for millennials I'll gladly give my sales tax to a different County.