Sign in to follow this  
Itsabimmerthing

New Wheel: Carbonautica GFC?

Does anyone have excperience with these? I'm planning on to change from 168cm S/S to 170cm GFC...

How is the "performance", rigidity etc? weigh?

Carbon would be nice but my boat is C/R so that money might be better spent elsewhere...

No idea, but they do look nice, let us know what you think when you get yours installed, early Christmas Present right...

Still thinking about changing the Solimar S/S wheel to Composite Y-Spoke.

22218-6534181.jpgwhite_gfc_lo_res.jpg

It should be similar in weight to carbon, not quite as rigid but maybe still a touch stiffer than stainless? Weight reduction should give better feel and not the least help the autopilot..

Anyone with experience on these? Looking at pictures/specs it seems like the X-Yachts XP-range uses these composite ones, not carbon.

Does anyone have excperience with these? I'm planning on to change from 168cm S/S to 170cm GFC...

How is the "performance", rigidity etc? weigh?

Carbon would be nice but my boat is C/R so that money might be better spent elsewhere...

Did you get one? What did it cost? Find any alternatives? Seems like many new boats have a similar looking wheel, hard to believe they are all springing for real carbon. Looking at the GFC for my boat.

The carbonautica ones are actually E-Glass with a carbon wrap around them. Better off going with a McConaghy or Edson wheel. More spendy but actually light.

The carbonautica ones are actually E-Glass with a carbon wrap around them. Better off going with a McConaghy or Edson wheel. More spendy but actually light.

Carbonautica Wheels are of course heavier than their carbon ones but they should still be considerably lighter than SS-wheels such as mine, Solimar 170cm, 5X twin spokes.

I think I read somewhere half the weight, was hoping someone could chime in and share experiences...

Rigidity and feel was good, had a chance to test them on an Xp..

Some older discussion on the J-forum..

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=111369&page=9&hl=carbonautica#entry3204112

J/111 wheel is 60 inch and acc. to discussion is about "couple of pounds" heavier than carbon. Similar size what I have, slightly smaller mine is 67 inch dia.

Just sent an email to Exit Carbon, well see what they say. They only have one design, I kind of like the Y-spoke -look...

You haven't lived until you've driven with a PROPER carbon wheel. it's like steering isn't anything, makes your feel upwind easily twice as good. Possibly more. Because all of a sudden the drag of the wheel isn't incorporating into the feel.

Try exit engineering in Italy. We have two. Lightweight, rigid and great finish

Thanks for the tip. Just contacted them.

Could you post few close-up pics of your wheel(s) details? I'm sure the quality is fine but just in case...

Just thinking about the "free rim" on a 170cm wheel with three spokes. Is that something to think about?

Thanks for the pic! Looks... "Sweet" :)

At first I was thinking about Y-spoke, but now I'm inclined towards Exit Carbon 3-Spoke...

The old wheel sits very hard, haven't been able to get it off yet to get measurements for the hub. Any tips? Have tried with little heat but propably need more...

Retrofitting a carbon or composite wheel requires that you pay attention to a myriad of dimensions and sizing. Starting with the wheel hub. Not all wheel shafts are machined equally and can vary greatly from company to company, model to model even within the same brand of steerer. Not only do you need to mate the wheel shaft taper, depth, and keyway dimension to that of the wheel hub, you will also need to consider if the wheel hub is offset or centered fore and aft on the shaft taper. If your wheel is large enough to require that it sits in a well in the deck, check the width of the deck well and see if the rim will fit easily in the well. If the old wheel is dished or has a rim that is offset aft from the hub, make sure it will align on the new wheel. Trying to enlarge the width of a deck's wheel well is neither cheap or easy and will significantly increase the cost of changing to a carbon wheel or wheels.

Current 170cm dia. Solimar Wheel rim is slightly off set from the hub.

The deck well has good space, that's not a problem.

My biggest problem is getting the old wheel off, it sits veery tight. The nut, supposed to open with winch handle is not moving at all. Tried little heat, didn't help. Maybe I need more heat..?

Heat, tapping on it, and patience is your friend and there is no feeling like when it does free up and no damage has been done....

Looks sweet. Just need to get that f... nut, same/similar as you have, off so I can get all the measurements. I think I go for full carbon 170cm from Exit.

Both Carbonautica and Exit have been very helpfull and responsive, especially Exit.

I have ordered a 800mm diameter GFC for a new build cat from Carbonautica.  It arrives mid December.  Ordered it from one I saw and held (but not sailed) on a 60ft carbon performance cat.  

Pricing was good and so was service from Carbonautica .  Went for the wheel at it was lighter and had a way better feel than the Edson stainless wheel that was standard on the cat. (not a production cat!)  Besides it looks really cool !

GFC wheel _carbonautica.JPG

Received my GFC wheel from Carbonautica this past week.  It is great .....Built to exact spec and build quality is most impressive.  I also ordered the folding passarelle from them and impressed with that too.  Service has been great from company.