• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
zzarganas

NEW ASTUS 16.5

The brand new ASTUS 16.5 trimaran hit the water. A really sweet VPLP design with no high tech elements and innovations but a good looking small boat (IMO better design than Weta and PULSE 600). The boat is a descent daysailer with a modern outfit. And the price is really great. At the same price rage of WETA you buy a biger boat with plenty of storage, dry, folding e.t.c Waiting for more pics and vids.

P.S. What the @#%$% Corsair thinking when they set the prices so rediculous high, when ASTUS (EU build not CHINA) is 30 - 50% cheaper???

sous%20gennaker.jpg

http://www.astusboats.com/astus-16-5-copie.html

the race is on ....

now about some gopro footage of the boat in some wind ....

You can still beat the Corsair guys to it..... nothing from their boats except photos ...

although our friends down under will get it done for them .. you have maybe a couple days ..lol

thor

This has great potential for marketability. $15k. Fully loaded probably $20k??

It's very close in many respects to my boat. The big differences I see are that it only slides on one side - which probably is great for the size, but it only has a beam of around 10-11 feet. I'm at 16' and I don't think I'd want to go much under 14.5 for stability. However, all around I'm impressed. It's the boat I've been saying for 5 years should be on the market. A hobie getaway version of a trimaran. Plastic, low cost, fast enough, and simple to own and sail. The Pulse is kind of what I'd consider a dream boat in the small trimaran range, this is a boat that has potential to be on a lot of beaches. The cost of ownership will be dramatically less than a Pulse for most people because most buyers can write a check, so no financing and no insurance. And simple rigging is going to be cheaper to maintain over time as well.

Not let's see how it sails!

Now this is getting closer to what I've been looking for. Wish the akas had an upward rake and a cross beam to hike on, such as the Weta and the SeaRail, but it still fills a gap between something like the Weta and larger day sailers like the new Pulse 600. Sort of a bona fide two person Weta.

Are there any specs yet on sail area and boat weight?

With lifting foils(even optional) this thing would be better than anything on the market. It's close to the best looking small tri I've seen-very nice.

Regarding price point, the 19 ft Pulse is 50% "more boat" than this 16.5 ft Astus.

They are, though, close enough that they are competing for the same market.

Compare the bigger astus 20.2 and pulse 600. The deference between them is almost 25.000 $!!!!!! 22k for a biger boat with cabin comparing to a 48k+ daysailer!!!! Thats a steal

11 feet is more than enough width for this boat if you'll hike out with your butt beyond the amas. Which brings up the one important feature they didn't seem to give any thought to - the Weta and Searail both have angled akas with a hiking beam between them. This makes the boat so much more comfortable when "out on the rail." It's the major selling point for me on the Weta in terms of comfort.

Look closely at the company website's photos of this new Astus - the top of the amas have an upward sloping crown with a ridge on top. Going to be mighty uncomfortable to sit on that for any length of time. Damn.... that one little detail that means so much.

I think wing seats may be a good solution for that. They should be easy to make for this design. A set from a hobie cat might even fit with minor modification.

The new Exocet 19 will have seats like jb suggested:

post-30-0-44255000-1448994646_thumb.jpg

Wing seats certainly have their place, but the simplicity (and low expense) of the hiking beam on the Weta is hard to beat. I've found it to actually be more comfortable than any of the Hobie wing type seats I've been on, not to mention the ease of sliding out or in on it rather than having to climb up or down. Just my preference, of course, but I wish Astus had addressed this issue as it's the only thing about this boat I don't like. At least from what I know about it thus far.

As far as making it a foiler - foiling remains impractical for most people under most conditions. It also adds to the expense and my guess is that Astus wants/needs to sell a decent number of boats to make this work. And yes, I have a foiling boat.

I did find this video for the Astus just now. Nothing exciting but you can get a better look at all angles of the boat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCIVsnWYkcU

Caractéristiques de lAstus 16.5 :

Longueur coque centrale: 4.94m

Longueur flotteurs

Largeur déplié (beam): 3.8m (12.46 ft)

Largeur replié : 2.5m

Surface plateforme: 8m²

Poids : 210kg au contact, 180kg en infusion

Volume flotteur: 500L

Tirant d'eau: 0.2/1.1m

longueur du mât loisir/sport:7.06 m

Surface de voile

Version Loisir : GV 10m² / Foc: 5m² / Gennaker 15m²

Version Sport: GV: 11.5m² / Foc: 5.5m² / Gennaker: 20m²

Catégorie

C avec 3 personnes,

D avec 5 personnes.

Moteur max 2.5ch

Architecte:VPLP design

Conception: Jean-Hubert Pommois

Wing seats certainly have their place, but the simplicity (and low expense) of the hiking beam on the Weta is hard to beat. I've found it to actually be more comfortable than any of the Hobie wing type seats I've been on, not to mention the ease of sliding out or in on it rather than having to climb up or down. Just my preference, of course, but I wish Astus had addressed this issue as it's the only thing about this boat I don't like. At least from what I know about it thus far.

As far as making it a foiler - foiling remains impractical for most people under most conditions. It also adds to the expense and my guess is that Astus wants/needs to sell a decent number of boats to make this work. And yes, I have a foiling boat.

I did find this video for the Astus just now. Nothing exciting but you can get a better look at all angles of the boat:

Thanks for the video, Tom. I disagree with this-depending on the boat. A foiler can be designed and built to foil in a 5 mph wind and on up with retractable foils and a large degree of comfort, easy to transport etc..

That's not really what makes them impractical. Mine foils in just 8 knots of wind and has retractable foils. It is exceptionally comfortable. But it remains a PIA under many conditions.

At any rate, the subject at hand is the Astus 16.5. I believe they're showing the new boat at a show this month and I suspect after some initial testing they may change a few things. Maybe. At the size and price offered, I think this offering may check a few more of the "boxes."

I am usually a positive however, I am not too impressed. I'll keep my Weta as it is not an upgrade from the Weta. Maybe I'll wait until Corsair wakes up and prices the Pulse appropriately.

Come on! I man can dream! :-)

Cheers,

The U.S. Distributor tells me that the price of the base Astus 16.5 is roughly $13,500 US. I suspect the sport model with larger sails will be a tad more. Two can be shipped in a single container for $6400, so figure $3,200 per boat shipping. He says they don't plan to stock the boat but will happily order them upon request and deposit.

While disappointed in the lack of a hiking rail above the amas per the Weta and SeaRail, I think it might be an upgrade to the Weta in terms of being a bona fide two-person boat, provided the additional sail area keeps the speed and performance in the same category. It's certainly a good looking boat and a more modern design than their other long standing and respected boats. That and the attractive price might make it a winner. I'm leaning towards ordering one.

I am usually a positive however, I am not too impressed. I'll keep my Weta as it is not an upgrade from the Weta. Maybe I'll wait until Corsair wakes up and prices the Pulse appropriately.

Come on! I man can dream! :-)

Cheers,

I think this isn't really the same as a Weta. Not necessarily and upgrade, but not a downgrade either. Just different. To me it's kinda like comparing a Miata to an Accord. Just different markets. I think this will sell very well. If it were available 3 years ago - I'm pretty sure I'd own one. I never would have built my trimaran with all the hours involved if I could buy a boat like this for this price. It's the perfect upgrade from a hobie getaway for the person who wants something dry, fast, and comfortable for the family that is still fast enough to be fun. And my guess is that with 2 or more on board, it'll outrun a weta pretty easily.

I have my doubts it'll outrun a Weta, maybe, perhaps. We know the Weta will do 15 knots almost automatically in any decent wind. With a little more wind you're into 16 to 17 knots and coupled with the right water surface conditions it can turn into 19 to 20 knots with the right skipper. That's tremendous for a little 14 foot boat and part of the reason it provides such a fun ride. On the other hand, the Astus does have nearly twice as much sail and the Sport version only weighs 396 pounds (why it's lighter than the club version I have no idea). If a couple guys can get way out on the rail and hold it down, I can see it getting up into that range.

I have a few more questions in and hope to hear back soon. I am assuming that since it won't fly the center hull that hull is designed to plane. Doesn't look flat enough at the stern to do it, but I'm going to assume it will until they tell me otherwise.

By the way, the Astus has the same ama flooding hatches as the Weta so it may be designed to be righted in the same fashion.

On the astus, presumably you could fold one side in to help right it. Not sure. As long as you don't lose the mast, it could righted by two sailors when folded. It'll be narrower than a beach cat and has a much shorter 25' mast than most cats.

Floats have 500l of displacement, so ~ 1100lbs. In theory it *could* fly the center hull, but it seems pretty unlikely given the shape and limited displacement of the floats. I'd guess that with the flat bottom of the main hull it will plane at some speed. OTOH, at this price, you could also buy a cheap used F18 and just swap in those hulls for floats and power it up with the bigger rig and it might really fly in that configuration for a lot less $ than any other similarly sized trimaran I know of.

Some additional photos have been posted in the last day or so about mid way down the page. http://www.astusboats.com/astus-16-5.html

One interesting thing is to note the shape of the hull and ama bows against those on the Diam24. They're almost identical, just shorter.

I'm not sure what to make of that-the Diam 24 has a very low resistance to pitchpole?

I think so, at least that's how it appears in the videos. However, it (the 24) also flies the center hull and thus has two sets of controls, one on each ama. The 16.5 only has one set, on the main hull, so I would assume it is designed to have the ama submerge and plane on the center hull, although the shape of the center hull doesn't look like it would plane. Go figure.

Either way, for the foreseeable future it appears that for me it may be the right boat, at the right size at the right price. I'm going to order one as soon as they are commercially available.

Well I'll give them this - they hit the ground running, or perhaps I should say they hit the water sailing. Just released a couple hours ago:

The latter portion shows the boat under moderate speed. Doesn't look like the wind was too strong, but enough to see the boat's attitude/pitch under way. I am guessing this is the first one and is on display currently at the Paris boat show for the coming week.

Doesn't look like she has any tendency to pitchpole-at least in those conditions. And seems a lot drier than the Weta......

With all the different models of home and factory built "little" trimarans being debated as they emerge on these threads, this is the one that has really got me salivating. There IS a market for a reasonably priced boat this size, and IMHO designing a "little" boat that performs is much harder than designing a boat twice this size. This one is the best I have seen by a long shot, and the video from about 2:00 is just delightful to watch. The way the underneath main hull sections work is just superb.

Back to the video for one more look....

Félicitations à vous les gars intelligents français! :)

It does ride nicely, doesn't it?

The sails (main and jib) have a funky cut. Don't look quite look right to me, but I do realize that these may not be the final production version. The US dealer has offered to pass some questions I have on to the manufacturer this weekend and I should hear back from him next week.

Ironically, the one thing I really, really like about the Weta is the absolutely tremendous dousing with water you get when moving fast. It adds to the overall sensation of speed. But I'm weird like that...

I used to say that about my laser, but too many of my bits were getting too clean from that phenomenon and there are no round-bottom monohulls ever going into my garage again.

I think so, at least that's how it appears in the videos. However, it (the 24) also flies the center hull and thus has two sets of controls, one on each ama. The 16.5 only has one set, on the main hull, so I would assume it is designed to have the ama submerge and plane on the center hull, although the shape of the center hull doesn't look like it would plane. Go figure.

Either way, for the foreseeable future it appears that for me it may be the right boat, at the right size at the right price. I'm going to order one as soon as they are commercially available.

HI Tom,

I am confused. I though that, as I, you wanted a boat that can sustain 20+ knots.

I know you have done that on your Weta, but I have not.

On another topic,

I think that if Astus redesigns the 20.2 to look like this 16.5 and keeps the cabin and the price reasonable, the Pulse will be in trouble.

Cheers,

Fyi both the Pulse and the Astus 16.5 can be seen at the Paris boat show ! Note that there is a.... video of the Pulse sailing on Corsair booth ! ;)

HI Tom,

I am confused. I though that, as I, you wanted a boat that can sustain 20+ knots.

On another topic,

I think that if Astus redesigns the 20.2 to look like this 16.5 and keeps the cabin and the price reasonable, the Pulse will be in trouble.

Cheers,

I'm not sure the Astus isn't capable of 20knots in the right conditions. It has a good amount of sail for the length and weight. A claim was made that it could do at least 18 and as more people get them and push them hard, we'll see.

I stated this earlier

"I think that if Astus redesigns the 20.2 to look like this 16.5 and keeps the cabin and the price reasonable, the Pulse will be in trouble."

Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,

I stated this earlier

"I think that if Astus redesigns the 20.2 to look like this 16.5 and keeps the cabin and the price reasonable, the Pulse will be in trouble."

Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,

The Pulse 600 may already be in trouble at $50k. I think the 16.5 is going to take 75% of the market share for tris under 22 feet. And above that it's pretty much all Dash/Sprint and F22. The Pulse 600 just doesn't offer enough more than the 16.5 to justify many buyers tripling their costs. I thinks Weta is in trouble as well if the price point holds.

How are they able to offer it for so cheap? 2.5' shorter, and no folding mechanism should help, but I don't think it accounts for that much.

How are they able to offer it for so cheap? 2.5' shorter, and no folding mechanism should help, but I don't think it accounts for that much.

Efficient production is my guess. A Hobie Getaway is $8000. A Hunter 18 is $8000. There's no reason an 18' trimaran needs to be more than both of those boats combined.

HI Tom,

On another topic,

Cheers,

I'm not sure the Astus isn't capable of 20knots in the right conditions. It has a good amount of sail for the length and weight. A claim was made that it could do at least 18 and as more people get them and push them hard, we'll see.

Sustain and Capable are very different concepts.

My experience is that the Weta is capable of hitting over 18 kts, but can only sustain between 14 and 15.

My experience is that an F28 is capable of hitting well over 20 kts, but usually only sustains under 20.

just sayin...

BTW: if, indeed, an Astus 16.5 can be had for around the same price of a Weta, I'm on it. Please let us know when one is going to be available on the Left Coast.

It's a normal price for the boat. I can not understand how is possible a low tech vessel with cheap materials and some pulleys and ropes could be more expensive than a BMW M3 or Mercedes AMG with thousands of high tech components. The whole f@=#;ing marine industry is spoiled and they must see the face of economic reality. Its not strange that the bankruptcy knocks their doors.

HI Tom,

On another topic,

Cheers,

Sustain and Capable are very different concepts.

My experience is that the Weta is capable of hitting over 18 kts, but can only sustain between 14 and 15.

My experience is that an F28 is capable of hitting well over 20 kts, but usually only sustains under 20.

just sayin...

BTW: if, indeed, an Astus 16.5 can be had for around the same price of a Weta, I'm on it. Please let us know when one is going to be available on the Left Coast.

The Weta can sustain 17 to 18 easily. It doesn't break a sweat at merely 15. Up towards 20 you'd be very much correct - it'll hit it for a few seconds, but doubtfull it would rip along at that speed for more than a very brief period, and even then it requires absolutely ideal conditions. I haven't been able to keep it there for more than seconds at a time. Still, for a little 14 foot boat...

The manufacturer for the 16.5 says they have done 17 knots boat speed in 17 knots of wind. I have no information on point of sail or how many were on the boat. More photos and videos are coming soon, I'm told.

Using straight aluminum tubes for the akas and having sails made in-house (?) are two cost saving measures.

I have been in touch with the Astus dealer today. There are some associated costs, of course, that many arean't seeing in the boat price. A dolly will add $700 or so more, plus you'll likely want a road trailer which the dealer says is being looked at and will run about $1700. So with the Sport model at about $15,000, plus the dolly, trailer and cost to ship, it'll come in somewhere around $20,000. That's with 2 on a container.

I'm going to order one shortly. We're just sorting out the details now. April delivery.

It makes no sense to compare this to the Pulse, one is a small day sailing multi competing with the likes of the Multi 23 etc, the other is a off the beach dingy competing with off the beach cats and tri's such as the Weta and Hobie getaway.

I think the design and what we saw from the videos shows it to be a little special in it's size. It seem to perform nicely in the breeze and given the price point might be all we need for the aging group. I am sure many machines will beat it but at what comfort?

The Weta is wet but I did not see that in this machine.

Hey I am 62 and have a great sailing outrigger canoe. After the Corsair F24 Mk1 I had for three years in the 90's.

Everyone I know is downsizing at my age and this seems to be the ideal size for the older generation.

But you get all the controls and sails and it still looks pretty fast in my book.

It makes no sense to compare this to the Pulse, one is a small day sailing multi competing with the likes of the Multi 23 etc, the other is a off the beach dingy competing with off the beach cats and tri's such as the Weta and Hobie getaway.

They're both big beach toys. They are different for sure, but I think many if not most buyers are going to compare them. Just like I think many buyers will compare the Weta, the Windrider, and probably even the hobie getaway. They all do the same thing. They just have some slightly different attributes for each one that distinguish them from eachother. None is more than 10-15% faster than any other. I'm not sure why we shoudn't compare them as they are competitors in the same market.

Very cool little boat. Looks to sail a lot like the multi 23. Nose up, and not planing, but efficiently slicing the water. The main hull on the multi 23 was even narrower, which it could be with the much longer hull.

Since I also had a weta, the difference is efficiency, and a dry ride

Tell those sailors to move forward....

Yes, ta very much for the photos.

I've sailed the 20 in the south of France and really enjoyed the it very much. The downsizing for an overnighter/raid boat to a pure daysailor is terrific idea. I am looking forward to sailing one this summer and perhaps buying one for myself.

I like it more every time I see additional photos. The lack of a rail and the high crowned amas will make for tough hiking, but I think I have a remedy for that. And, of course, it could be there is indeed some method to that particular bit of madness - at some angle of heel the outer slope on the amas would be flat, which could then become a comfortable place to sit and hike. Maybe.

Will be interesting to see if any changes or modifications are made after they have put in a few more hours sailing it

It would be interesting to see a video of it going head-to-head with a regular Hobie 16 in 20 knots....

And to see it tacking and gybing along that same Hobie 16... These are very strong suits for most trimarans which almost spin on a dime in either case.

In addition, there are two headsail options - a 20sq mt Gennaker and a 23 sq mt Asymetrical Spinnaker.

Wonderful photos, Zardoz. Thanks so very much.

Beautiful boat. I can see what Tom means about the ama crowns now. And then I noticed no hiking straps on the tramps. "Sport" should have hiking straps, right? I wonder what the thinking is there.

One of the best features of the Weta, and the SeaRail 19, is the hiking rail on top of and between the akas. Sure wish this boat had something similar, but it wouldn't be hard to rig up something along those lines owing to the straight aka tubes.

I mis-spoke on the price earlier - the 14,900 is with European VAT added. Without it the base price here in the U.S. will be $12,400. Additional options are the tri-radial sport sails (460), 20m2 Gennaker (1400) 23m2 Spinnaker with furler (1350 )carbon mast and boom (1650) and synthetic rigging. Also a beach dolly (625) and a road trailer (1450). And then the shipping, of course. Two will fit on a container. With all the sport options, trailer, dolly and shipping, price in the U.S. would appear to be just north of $20,000. Omitting some of the options would reduce the price considerably and the base boat would certainly sail as is.

I'd say that crown is flat in normal sailing mode. if you're in a dead calm, you wont be out there anyway.

I would sew some hiking straps into the tramp....

You may well be right, in which case it's an excellent design feature. If not, well...

But we'll see soon enough.

I like it more every time I see additional photos. The lack of a rail and the high crowned amas will make for tough hiking, but I think I have a remedy for that. And, of course, it could be there is indeed some method to that particular bit of madness - at some angle of heel the outer slope on the amas would be flat, which could then become a comfortable place to sit and hike. Maybe.

Will be interesting to see if any changes or modifications are made after they have put in a few more hours sailing it

The only other possible PITA looks to be opening the cabin hatch with the dagger foil raised any amount.. Seems like the board needs to be fully out of the slot or lowered fully to open it?

The latest video showing the sliding tube akas. http://cdn.streamlike.com/uc/getCode?swfskin=8&colorskin=361&player=3&code=1&controlbar=over&object=1&chapter=&subtitle=&mod1=22&bw_mode=1&med_id=ab44c28fc248ad5c&width=382&height=266

Wonder if this arrangement will result in much "slop?"

At least they're very fast with more and more information on the boat. Pity I didn't pay attention in grade school french class...

What are the two eye bolts (nuts) each side near the headsail sheet cleats? They look to have temp rope holding the mast up but don't look strong enough for anything meaningful? There is obviously shroudsd out on the arma's but no sure what the one on the main hull are for?

The latest video showing the sliding tube akas. http://cdn.streamlike.com/uc/getCode?swfskin=8&colorskin=361&player=3&code=1&controlbar=over&object=1&chapter=&subtitle=&mod1=22&bw_mode=1&med_id=ab44c28fc248ad5c&width=382&height=266

Wonder if this arrangement will result in much "slop?"

At least they're very fast with more and more information on the boat. Pity I didn't pay attention in grade school french class...

I think you can rest pretty easy that there will be very little slop. Once you tension the shrouds and the tramp lacing it will tighten everything up nicely. Mine is very tight tolerances, but even so - when loose it's got some play, but it all goes away when you pull a little shroud tension.

One tip is to mark your shroud tension ropes. It's easy to get the mast off to one side or the other if you don't. If you mark the rope then you can pull one side to the right spot, tighten the other side and you're ready to rock.

I also note from the video that there is not a compression post in the middle of the forward locker. I think you'll really like that access. The post in mine is a PITA! Finally I see that there are no lockers underneath along the sides of the cockpit. I would consider adding a couple. They should be pretty easy to do. I have some open and one large one that is water tight. it makes a nice place to store camera gear, keys, phones and such that you might not want bouncing around in the big open locker, and are still easy to get to.

What are the two eye bolts (nuts) each side near the headsail sheet cleats? They look to have temp rope holding the mast up but don't look strong enough for anything meaningful? There is obviously shroudsd out on the arma's but no sure what the one on the main hull are for?

I suspect that the shrouds on the main hull are temporary for holding the mast up while the amas are withdrawn. Probably, at the boat show, they were sliding the amas in and out often to demonstrate, so left the temporary shrouds up full time. But I am speculating

You would be 100% correct. They didn't want to have to take the mast down each time they demonstrated the folding akas. Those are for demo purposes only - they won't be on production boats.

Wonderful photos, Zardoz. Thanks so very much.

Beautiful boat. I can see what Tom means about the ama crowns now. And then I noticed no hiking straps on the tramps. "Sport" should have hiking straps, right? I wonder what the thinking is there.

My solution to hiking and uncomfortable crown shape amas.

Trapezes. Trapezing it just so much fun and with the right harness, so comfy.

Cheers,

Cool little boat! It's interesting seeing it on the water--in terms of proportions it almost looks as though an errant motorboat chopped a couple of feet off the stern.

Out of curiosity, what's the design motivation for having the main hull's bow knuckle where it is? In the videos it often seems to be ( = what feels to me to be) quite high out of the water. Note that this isn't a criticism, I'm just wondering what the thinking is behind that choice.

You will note that this is the same shape/configuration found on the Diam24, Seacart 26, etc., etc. It appears to be a concept that many are employing for whatever reason.

On first picture of post 47:

They seemed to have designed a raised post (most likely not the right term... sorry) on the transom to put the rudder hinges.

But then, the rudder hinges do not take advantage of the increased lever arm to take care of side loads on the rudder blade: the top hinge is far from the top of the "extra transom" area...

I know, it might be a detail... but why???

BTW, great pictures on post 47!

The only thing I would mention is that as this is the very first one, there may be some minor changes or upgrades that'll happen before they hit the sales water. I'm sure they were trying to get one on the floor at the boat show and may have used some stock off the shelf parts that may be replaced by custom designed pieces for the final version. Just a guess.

You will note that this is the same shape/configuration found on the Diam24, Seacart 26, etc., etc. It appears to be a concept that many are employing for whatever reason.

Now that you point it out I can see it... interesting. Here's the Seacart 26:

First_Page_Fold_01.jpg

Any thoughts on why the inner edges of the 16.5 cockpit seats are so angular? I wouldn't have minded a larger radius. But, maybe there's not enough seat height/cockpit width to notice?

I finalized my order form today and after totaling all the various options I wanted - Sport tri-radial sails, 20M2 gennaker on bowsprit, carbon mast and boom, trailer, dolly, plus shipping from France - it's going to be about $24K.

A lot more than I'd hoped when I saw the $12K base price. Still, not much else in this range, in that price range.

Way to go, Tom! Looking forward to your reports later on. Any idea on delivery? Good Luck!

Wow Tom that's getting a little pricey!

The problem is you either do it now or do it later. The toys these days are getting pretty costly to obtain.

So are you still getting it or having second thoughts about it?

Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here we go again. Advertise a price and nearly double it when you add all the needed "options" (F22, Pulse 600).

Tom, at this point I would get the SeaRail 19, it is about the same price, it is a much, much, much, more boat than this 16 footer, there is a claim that it has done >20knots, and it has the "an upward rake and a cross beam to hike on as on the Weta" that you like. Just a though.

Cheers,

And BTW, for that price if you want to think outside the Trimaran box, lose a hull and get a Falcon F16 that is an awesome boat for crews of 1 or 2.

Cheers,

Pricing:

• This standard SeaRail 19 package retails for USD27,990

• Spinnaker Kit - Furling Spinnaker (25.83 m2, 278 sqf, Spinnaker pole, Ronstan continuous line furler and 4 ratchet control blocks: USD 3,150.

• Cradle/Trailer conversion kit - includes spring kit, lights, hitch coupler, fenders, license bracket: USD 670

• Padded D/B Bag: USD 75

• Second Tiller Extension: USD 140

• Outboard Mount: USD 340

Aluminum rig.The price don't include trailer or other extra.

80cm longer and 140kg more weight, much more boat, really?

Does anyone care about 20kts? It's fun - for about 5 minutes. Otherwise totally irrelevant to me. I'm pretty close to the potential market - except I already have an 18' tri I built because I could not find anything to buy at the time. Obviously I want one. Building it cost about what the Astus price is, plus 1000 hours of my life. I looked high and low for a nice used Tramp. Almost drove from Utah to Georgia to buy the one I found for sale. I couldn't care less about achieving some arbitrary top speed. I care about how well it performs in 10kts and how safe and easy it is to sail at 30kts if I happen to be out in bad weather. How it points into heavy weather is among the most important characteristics to me having been stuck before with a 4ksb that couldn't carry enough sail to make headway into a blow to get back to the marina. I care more about cockpit room and comfort than I do about the last 1 or two knots of speed. I expect all of the boats discussed to do these tasks reasonably well. Some better than others. For me top speed isn't high on my primary goals for the boat.

How important is 20 knots to you? Is it a deal breaker if it only reaches 15?