• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
WCB

Craigslist Finds

Recommended Posts

http://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/39800

 

These boats were by no means wonderful. Most of those built  were to supply dealers who bought exactly one. 

The ONLY reason I posted this ad is the photographer's obvious lack of rigging knowledge. The mainsail has a luff bolt rope  and the boom is not designed to sail  loose footed either 

IMG_3680.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent...and maybe sail is not quite right cuz in this case wrong spars are on boat (no grooves) for whatever reason. BTW, twas, IMHO, the brave dealer who bought one...even after arm-twisted near off by rep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I -know- there is a Merlin-Rocket somewhere in the mid-North Carolina region, and have been keeping my eye out for when it turns up on Craigslist. For one thing I'd like to know the story of how the boat came to be orphaned so far from home.

Meanwhile here is another attractive orphan,

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/boa/d/ns14-sailboat/6327651951.html

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

I -know- there is a Merlin-Rocket somewhere in the mid-North Carolina region, and have been keeping my eye out for when it turns up on Craigslist. For one thing I'd like to know the story of how the boat came to be orphaned so far from home.

Meanwhile here is another attractive orphan,

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/boa/d/ns14-sailboat/6327651951.html

FB- Doug

Steamer...my guess is that if one could patch the history of these rigs, it would be an interesting thread, indeed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

I -know- there is a Merlin-Rocket somewhere in the mid-North Carolina region, and have been keeping my eye out for when it turns up on Craigslist. For one thing I'd like to know the story of how the boat came to be orphaned so far from home.

Meanwhile here is another attractive orphan,

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/boa/d/ns14-sailboat/6327651951.html

FB- Doug

NS14 class register has #1744 as an Aero 8 status "overseas"

http://ns14.org/-/ns14/lib/pdfs/NS14s Register 311216 report.pdf

Glad it is about $2000 above my "hell, I'll go buy that tonight after work" price.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have any of you figured out how to search the whole East Coast craigslists at once?  Looking for a couple of ratted out Lasers, no trailer needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zoomee said:

Have any of you figured out how to search the whole East Coast craigslists at once?  Looking for a couple of ratted out Lasers, no trailer needed.

www.searchtempest.com 

Results are grouped by region. Click on the “View All” button to open separate tabs for all regions. Then easy to scan and close each tab. Works on PC and mobile browsers. Very addictive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rudy2929 said:

www.searchtempest.com 

Results are grouped by region. Click on the “View All” button to open separate tabs for all regions. Then easy to scan and close each tab. Works on PC and mobile browsers. Very addictive. 

Beat me to it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up this original barn find NS14 about 6 months ago for $500 , believe it or not ,previous owner told me , if I did not rescue this boat it was headed for the tip. built 1979 in origin condition original sails ...... Did a vintage yacht regatta and cleaned up ,line honours and handicap in all 4 races.looks like the boat has been in storage in a garage for the last 30-35 years...

image.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, rudy2929 said:

www.searchtempest.com 

Results are grouped by region. Click on the “View All” button to open separate tabs for all regions. Then easy to scan and close each tab. Works on PC and mobile browsers. Very addictive. 

I'm hooked...thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

NS14 class register has #1744 as an Aero 8 status "overseas"

http://ns14.org/-/ns14/lib/pdfs/NS14s Register 311216 report.pdf

Glad it is about $2000 above my "hell, I'll go buy that tonight after work" price.

 

I've actually not spent most of my "cool toys" budget for the last few years, but then I just got a new guitar amp so it 'feels like' I ought not go buy another boat right now. Plus, I have not even touched the Flying Dutchman this year. BUt hey, who said this has to be logical!!!!!

FB- Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don'chya just love old boats, especially wood rigs? This one looks quite nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jayson said:

I picked up this original barn find NS14 about 6 months ago for $500 , believe it or not ,previous owner told me , if I did not rescue this boat it was headed for the tip. built 1979 in origin condition original sails ...... Did a vintage yacht regatta and cleaned up ,line honours and handicap in all 4 races.looks like the boat has been in storage in a garage for the last 30-35 years...

image.jpeg

Great looking boat...amazing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, WCB said:
On 10/26/2017 at 6:53 AM, jayson said:

I picked up this original barn find NS14 about 6 months ago for $500 , believe it or not ,previous owner told me , if I did not rescue this boat it was headed for the tip. built 1979 in origin condition original sails ...... Did a vintage yacht regatta and cleaned up ,line honours and handicap in all 4 races.looks like the boat has been in storage in a garage for the last 30-35 years...

image.jpeg

Great looking boat...amazing

That -is-  a beauty all right. $500 well spent IMHO

The Merlin-Rocket is also a lovely boat.

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if this has made it here.  I guess there's a scow fleet in San Diego?  This has been up for a while and he had another cool boat as well; he's right up the hill from me and I need to stay away.  

This is a rare scow in California. Was imported from Wisconsin several years ago as a project that never got finished. Stored indoors. This is a pre 1975 model that comes with a sought after Proctor mast. All the parts are here. Sails need some sewing. Pictures are file photos of M-20 scows and not this boat. Boat and trailer are registered in Calif.

image.png.76862ee05cc567b4de33c450571a4df8.png

 https://ventura.craigslist.org/boa/d/melges-20/6372980607.html

edit to add:  I don't know why he didn't post pics of the real boat.  Maybe I will have to check it out...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

California and scow seem to be counter intuitive thoughts. Idea, as I recall, is inland lakes, not high waves, heel lengthens WL and ups speed...lots. Sound about right?

Scows, at least small ones, are not popular salt water boats...took some gonads to take one west, but why not?

Still, ingenious design, fast as can be and easy to sail. Sailed on a scow but once as a young lad,, a C-Boat/catboat, as I recall. Big, fast, simple and so quiet. Think new ones are very much better.

Love to see it!

Not very cat knowledgeable. A pre-75 might be wood, and if stored right not "sagged" and even if glass got to be decent. If trailer included...deal. Remember, this tidbit I recall, boats are rarely used with power...the older Johnsons and Melges hulls had canvas outer coverings, as I recall-which is what the C-boat had (Johnson hull) but if decent not a biggie.

Always hankered for a 16, as these boats were light, fast , easy to right after knockdowns (happens), and to rig lakeside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also a US 1 in Chicago for $650.  Amazing what you can find when you type in Sailboat Trailer in searchtempest.com  I was looking for trailer options for our Elliott 6meters

US 1 in Chicago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WCB said:

Looks like a OD 14 in Florida with an extra mast for $900 total.  Not bad...this falls under the, wish I lived closer category.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/d/international-14-sailboat/6369010894.html

Looks like they're offering a second OD14 hull to go with the deal too.  You can see it if you follow the link to the edison sailing center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2017 at 12:58 PM, WCB said:

How about a time capsule 2004 Laser that's never been in the water in AZ.  That seems like a deal.

Lake Havasu Laser

I have sent an email. If it has been stored without unacceptable sun cooking I will be making a four day road trip 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will race you to Havasu. But I need a three hour head start. Wait a minute - it is an hour earlier here so I need a four hour head start. Unless we are racing handicap. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

I have sent an email. If it has been stored without unacceptable sun cooking I will be making a four day road trip 

Good luck! Let us know if you get it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed a phone number and I left a detailed message. A few local parents are bugging me to sell my two boat to their kids. ... there were already at least  five old boats of mine sailing in last weekend's Wurstfest Regatta. 

I love finding good deals, setting  them up just right and passing them on and this boat certainly looks like a perfect candidate.

thirteen years is a long time and no matter how it was rigged and stored it needs a new sail, top section, I won't like the lines,  and I am certain I will feel compelled to remove and re-bed every fitting. 

I just hope wasnt stored  in a 200 degree shed so it is crystallized or upside down so the hull has sagged from convex to concave.  

Or so it is dented...

the ad is a month old. Who knows whether it already sold 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All good points.  I bought a new 2004, then a Worlds charter 2009 and both boats I immediately pulled all of the hardware off and rebedded every fitting.  It was always a shock how little 4200 was used.

Hopefully the boat is still available and it was treated well.  It kind of looks like it might be at a boat shop because there's a new Sunfish daggerboard on the deck which I assume they thought was a rudder.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DN...Detroit News iceboats...at one time we could do here, weather changed...guy up on Pepin has 20 footer, bet not out in last 5 or so, too much snow and I suspect that is problem in Det. New Hamp area seems to be ice capital now...clean most of time...big enough to race. Never did it; always wondered...too creaky now...zoooom, but not for 1200. Zoooooooom! Probably more fun than foiling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RKoch said:

That's a hell of a deal. 

No kidding. Lovely boat, i would have driven all the way out and brought her back...but right now cannot...and sand truck just went by house...ugly day here. God I hip the rig gets to right swab...lovely. Murphy's Law for me, as usual!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2017 at 11:30 PM, Gouvernail said:

Noticed a phone number and I left a detailed message. A few local parents are bugging me to sell my two boat to their kids. ... there were already at least  five old boats of mine sailing in last weekend's Wurstfest Regatta. 

I love finding good deals, setting  them up just right and passing them on and this boat certainly looks like a perfect candidate.

thirteen years is a long time and no matter how it was rigged and stored it needs a new sail, top section, I won't like the lines,  and I am certain I will feel compelled to remove and re-bed every fitting. 

I just hope wasnt stored  in a 200 degree shed so it is crystallized or upside down so the hull has sagged from convex to concave.  

Or so it is dented...

the ad is a month old. Who knows whether it already sold 

Did it sell Guv?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

"I have absolutely no answers for any questions in regards to this. It was on the property when we moved in. "

There's a reason why it was dumped in the woods. No spars, no rig, no hardware of any value except possibly the tiller swivels and stem fitting. It's a dead  'un

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad to see what was, at one time, probably a beautiful E Scow. The hull may still be in surprisingly good condition except plenty of dirt. Fiberglass has a long half-life. The boat could become a very large planter, a winter sled for many people in snow or the world's largest stand-up paddle board.Come on guys - use your imagination! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, xonk1 said:

Sad to see what was, at one time, probably a beautiful E Scow. The hull may still be in surprisingly good condition except plenty of dirt. Fiberglass has a long half-life. The boat could become a very large planter, a winter sled for many people in snow or the world's largest stand-up paddle board.Come on guys - use your imagination! 

Modern 7 masted schooner, with Opti rigs?

Anchored out as a swim platform?

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Modern 7 masted schooner, with Opti rigs?

Anchored out as a swim platform?

FB- Doug

I kinda figure E-Boat...if decent hull, might be salvageable...bet there are a few spars and so on avail in Fontana or near Melges works...you never know? Such a waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BobBill said:

I kinda figure E-Boat...if decent hull, might be salvageable...bet there are a few spars and so on avail in Fontana or near Melges works...you never know? Such a waste.

Yeah, it's almost certainly an E..... problem: by the time you get this stripped hulk into sailing condition, you will have spent more money and FAR more effort than you would put into  buying one that was in decent shape. OTOH if you want to conjure up an E-scow mini-trawler, this would be a good start.

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without being there...if glass, not warped to crap, might be easy, if finish glow not so important...but lot of work, handwork labor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The old E's had structural issues. There is simply not enough hull depth to prevent eventual bending and wracking. E's weren't intended to last 50 years. Steamer is right, no matter how much money is sunk into that boat, at best it's only suitable as a swimming platform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is sad, such a beast, 26 feet of scow....must have been a blast to sail on it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a fabulous "go for ride" boat. 

The only things faster are foilers and catamarans. Blasting around on a Dutchman is great fun. 

Webused to have oneceith nothing but fundamental basic rigging we took out blast reaching whenever it was Whitecapping. 

For $300 it only has to last for a few rides before blowing up. WHEEEEEE!! 

Go get it!! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gouv, not chasing you, but while foiler would be faster, there are a few scows, outriggers that might whip it, and maybe, in a chop, a keeler or two, if speed is the deed?

But, in general, your point is well taken, FDs move -  like Ravens, C-Boats etc, and some wild-arse riggers, like the MO...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SecondWindNC said:

What would you need for a gooseneck, if that's really all it needs? May have to check that one out.

A gooseneck is an easy fix.  I would go to Annapolis Performance Sailing's site and you could easily pick up a gooseneck that fits what you have for a mast and boom.  They have a lot of those hard to find spar parts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SecondWindNC said:

What would you need for a gooseneck, if that's really all it needs? May have to check that one out.

Worst case, you have to buy a new mast fitting and boom end casting due to unavailable parts. Maybe $100. Best case, if you are near Durham I have stuff in my junk box that I'll trade for a couple of rides.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BobBill said:

Gouv, not chasing you, but while foiler would be faster, there are a few scows, outriggers that might whip it, and maybe, in a chop, a keeler or two, if speed is the deed?

But, in general, your point is well taken, FDs move -  like Ravens, C-Boats etc, and some wild-arse riggers, like the MO...

I didn't qualify the claim because, as you recognized, there is always something.

but

two big guys on a Dutchman in 15-20 breeze is a mighty fine reaching ride. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

I didn't qualify the claim because, as you recognized, there is always something.

but

two big guys on a Dutchman in 15-20 breeze is a mighty fine reaching ride. 

Aye!  I love going, but best for me as swill-ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, WCB said:

How about an older International 14 in the Seattle area for $500   Seattle I14

I would LOVE to own that boat, but shiping costs to Spain... I don't think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, WCB said:

How about an older International 14 in the Seattle area for $500   Seattle I14

I agree, WD S made some stiff 14s. Lot there for 500, but you are too far and I am too old...or too late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A $300 FD or $500 I-14 would be a lot of fun. Especially if most of the parts were there and some sort of trailer was included. An old, cheap, FD has good potential as a Monster Garage frankenboat for the EC, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got up to pee and, whimsically, check eBay for a Banshee, and got 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Banshee-Sailboat-Hull-With-Mast-Boom-Cape-Cod/132326755929?hash=item1ecf4a0e59:g:MacAAOSwHm5Zt~Dv&vxp=mtr

 

May need sail and some hardware, and trailer...but...way more boat than Lasers...is sort of cut-down FJ...faster on reach...and easy to right if KD...Simple is best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BobBill said:

Got up to pee and, whimsically, check eBay for a Banshee, and got 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Banshee-Sailboat-Hull-With-Mast-Boom-Cape-Cod/132326755929?hash=item1ecf4a0e59:g:MacAAOSwHm5Zt~Dv&vxp=mtr

 

May need sail and some hardware, and trailer...but...way more boat than Lasers...is sort of cut-down FJ...faster on reach...and easy to right if KD...Simple is best. 

Interesting that it's in sailboat hardware instead of under sailboats.  Always a good find out there somewhere...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This yellow Albacore is a steal, at 1200, IMHO. Long way from here and PCU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2017 at 11:52 PM, dgmckim said:

Flying Dutchman for sale in Eastern NC. Price may be a typo?

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/flying-dutchman-sailboat-and/6400558138.html

 

On 11/28/2017 at 2:51 PM, WCB said:

A gooseneck is an easy fix.  I would go to Annapolis Performance Sailing's site and you could easily pick up a gooseneck that fits what you have for a mast and boom.  They have a lot of those hard to find spar parts. 

 

On 11/28/2017 at 4:14 PM, Dex Sawash said:

Worst case, you have to buy a new mast fitting and boom end casting due to unavailable parts. Maybe $100. Best case, if you are near Durham I have stuff in my junk box that I'll trade for a couple of rides.

 

So this stray seems to have followed me home ...

2017-12-03_17.05.57.jpg

2017-12-03_17.06.17.jpg

She's old and rough, but everything seems to be there, save for a broken tiller and the gooseneck. There are two sets of sails, none of which are very new but they're white, not brown, and seem to have been taken care of. Just one small tear in one of the spinnakers. For the price if I can get out and blast around on the water a few times I'll be a happy camper.

dgmckim I guess I owe you thanks or a curse for posting it, not sure yet which one. ;)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1. And, if your "old" sails are cotton, you win...especially if not blown out. You will have fun fixing minor stuff and sailing that one! Love it!

 

You can make substitute tiller and extension out of cheap graphite driver (golf) shafts and epoxy...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SecondWindNC said:

 

 

So this stray seems to have followed me home ...

2017-12-03_17.05.57.jpg

2017-12-03_17.06.17.jpg

She's old and rough, but everything seems to be there, save for a broken tiller and the gooseneck. There are two sets of sails, none of which are very new but they're white, not brown, and seem to have been taken care of. Just one small tear in one of the spinnakers. For the price if I can get out and blast around on the water a few times I'll be a happy camper.

dgmckim I guess I owe you thanks or a curse for posting it, not sure yet which one. ;)

That's great!  That's what this thread is all about...saving good boats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SecondWindNC said:

 

 

So this stray seems to have followed me home ...

2017-12-03_17.05.57.jpg

2017-12-03_17.06.17.jpg

She's old and rough, but everything seems to be there, save for a broken tiller and the gooseneck. There are two sets of sails, none of which are very new but they're white, not brown, and seem to have been taken care of. Just one small tear in one of the spinnakers. For the price if I can get out and blast around on the water a few times I'll be a happy camper.

dgmckim I guess I owe you thanks or a curse for posting it, not sure yet which one. ;)

Congratulations!

I think...... :rolleyes:

I picked up a similar/slightly worse condition one last year, doesn't have two sets of sails though. They are such good looking boats that I admire it walking by, sooner or later I am going to get to work on it.......................... then we could get together

FB- Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BobBill said:

+1. And, if your "old" sails are cotton, you win...especially if not blown out. You will have fun fixing minor stuff and sailing that one! Love it!

 

You can make substitute tiller and extension out of cheap graphite driver (golf) shafts and epoxy...

LAX goalie stick shafts work well, too.  Bigger diameter on the held end, as well (easier on my old hands, anyway).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BobBill said:

You can make substitute tiller and extension out of cheap graphite driver (golf) shafts and epoxy...

 

15 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

LAX goalie stick shafts work well, too.  Bigger diameter on the held end, as well (easier on my old hands, anyway).

Thanks for the ideas. The seller included the broken tiller for a pattern (with extension still intact and attached) and an appropriately sized piece of oak he was going to use to make a new one. I have an uncle with a wood shop (makes custom doors/entryways) who I think will be willing to fashion something for me, so that's my Plan A. But it's always good to have a Plan B and C.

The other thing I need is a picture of what the gooseneck is supposed to look like and how it's attached. I would have thought it'd be riveted on but I don't see any holes in the mast where the old one would've been. This is where it'd be nice to find an FD zombie to scavenge one from ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats NC! I think you'll have a blast. First step is ID'ing the rig. Might be an old Proctor or something. That'll get you started finding a gooseneck. Check class website and forums. Might find the part on EBay.uk. Also probable the gooseneck from another boat will work. Worst case scenario it won't be too hard for a shop to fabricate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Congrats NC! I think you'll have a blast. First step is ID'ing the rig. Might be an old Proctor or something. That'll get you started finding a gooseneck. Check class website and forums. Might find the part on EBay.uk. Also probable the gooseneck from another boat will work. Worst case scenario it won't be too hard for a shop to fabricate.

Rig is Proctor, still has the plate on it with serial number. I've looked for FD class websites and forums (registered an account at sailfdusa.org) but haven't found any that seem very active. Any favorites?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SecondWindNC said:

Rig is Proctor, still has the plate on it with serial number. I've looked for FD class websites and forums (registered an account at sailfdusa.org) but haven't found any that seem very active. Any favorites?

IDK about FD sites. You'll have to ask around. Proctor Spars is in UK.  Ask around some U.K. Sites for FD or dinghy sailing. Keep your eyes open on EBay UK and Craigslist type sites.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Selden may have taken over Proctor, might try them. Cheapest bet is used parts stores, but that will take some investigation and patience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites