WCB

Craigslist Finds

12 hours ago, WCB said:

Nice find Steve! There was a college looking for a fleet recently

Dig very nice...someone send to school of choice.

So I sailed the $300 FD.

Had Sunday morning free but had to be home by lunch. Just enough time to tow her to the creek, rig, launch, and get in an hour and a half of sailing. It was calm enough to get things figured out but we had some gusts that really got her moving, too. Being more used to keelboats, it really only takes a breath of wind to have fun on this thing. I will definitely have to learn the tricks to depower before venturing out in heavier air. Importantly, we discovered that I can get from the ramp to dad's yard with the rig up by coming through the neighbor's yard to sneak in behind the power lines. That'll save some time and headache, and make it that much easier to take her out each time.

Only took a couple of pics as I had my phone in a drybag most of the time, but did snap this one of my dad with a sh*t-eating grin during his turn at the helm.

2018-04-22_09.19.43.jpg

Since we launched at 8 in the morning on a Sunday with a tight time window I did not properly christen her with beer/liquor/champagne. Hopefully Neptune won't be too pissed; I promise I'll get around to it next time.

It was awesome to spend a little time on Assignment with dad.

@ortegakid you're on the clock!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rasputin22 said:

From the look on your Dad's face, that was the best $300 ever spent! What is with that little winch though?

I'm not sure. Best I can figure is it was intended to help the crew manage the genoa sheets. It just ratchets; it doesn't take a handle. Now redundant since there are ratcheting turning blocks.

If anybody can confirm my theory or suggest otherwise I'd love to have the input. This pic shows it.

2018-03-16_08.38.48.jpg

Yeah, the Hexa Ratchets probably came after that snubbing winch and make it redundant. Might sail the boat a while and see if it comes in handy though. Never had on on the FD's I sailed. That curved horse it sits on looks like over kill and a knee buster though. I see you have the double spinnaker pits, the bow launcher came later I think. 

• Like 1

It must be an add on as I don't see the molded funnel in the deck fwd of the forestay. I've put my bow into the back of waves and with the spi up that funnel can drink up a lot of Pacific Ocean!

• Like 1

I would be removing the wood horse and ratchet and the cam cleats on the rails, replace them with low profile clams, just my 2c. My old FD was an exercise in modding over the years, this one so much better from the start, hopefully will not be completely redoing.

• Like 1

Always figure Sandy Dougleass was shrewd dude, figuring the boat was a larger 14...with rules. And, he build good boats. Just never got to liking them all that much. If  busy, bum never gets to hurting much on a 14...but Thistles seem different to some. Nice boat and if a Thistle swab looks to be decent deal, from pics. A must, in person, buy in any event.

3 hours ago, Carbon said:

Here's another one...

100_4018[1].JPG

I think that looks pretty good for a $300 boat

On 4/30/2018 at 9:02 AM, Carbon said:

100_4021[1].JPG

Where's the pic of the builder's plate you mentioned offline?  Curious if people here can figure out the builder.

5 hours ago, Carbon said:

Here it is!

100_4026[1].JPG

That should help...nice!

On 03/05/2018 at 12:39 PM, WCB said:

That should help...nice!

god, the year i was born!

6 hours ago, Justaquickone said:

Me to!

Didn't know they were doing glass FD's way back then ?

I had the same thought, so is that the sail number not the year built?

I looked on the US Flying Dutchman site and there’s a listing of all hulls registered in the US. Dubdam (see Ortega’s post above) has quite a few glass boats listed that were built in 1964.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Is it a hull number or a date the plaque was issued? 

Seems like it would have to be the year. The highest hull numbers in this list are in the 1400s for '80s and '90s kevlar boats.

Unless it's an international registration number? I don't know, I'm probably out of my depth. 

Seems the surfeit of FD being sold a sign of a generational change to less formidable sailing effort? IOW, we getting too old to handle the class? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BobBill said:

Seems the surfeit of FD being sold a sign of a generational change to less formidable sailing effort? IOW, we getting too old to handle the class? 

The older you get, Its a lot more work (and pain) to stay trap worthy!   Most folks give up and downshift to a more sedate boat, or just plain give up.

- Stumbling

• Like 1

In both cases...do another's boat and sit in trap-my seat slides no matter what...makes it easy, or swill aboard and give a rat's! Dig your heads.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BobBill said:

In both cases...do another's boat and sit in trap-my seat slides no matter what...makes it easy, or swill aboard and give a rat's! Dig your heads.

Hiking seats. I got a pair off a crashed Hobie 17.

Haven't mounted them yet..... shit I haven't gotten the standing rig squared away, boat is sitting under a tarp.

Dammittall

FB- Doug

Tough to get it "done." With sailboats, it is never done, so I smile, and, if I have one, a gummy bear and swill...and smile.

15 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

1955 Wood Thistle in Memphis. Looks fabulous... easy to sail. Comfortable 

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1955/D&M-Thistle---WOODIE!!!-1955137/#.WvUmEyJOmEc

Nice find! I think I've seen that boat listed before.

At $5500 that could or could not be a good deal. As with any wooden boat, an in-person inspection by someone with specific experience (wooden Thistle in this case) would be necessary to make sure you're getting a good deal.

From the pictures, two things stand out: 1) there is less than desired amount of floatation and 2) how was the CB trunk handled in the 1999 rebuild? In the 3rd picture you can see a dark line along where the CB trunk is mounted to the keel. Dark lines (dark anything) on a bright finished wooden Thistle are not good and indicative of dry rot! The normal procedure for the "best" rebuild of a wooden Thistle is to remove the CB trunk and re-glue with epoxy. Many leak and expose the keel (some keels were solid; others veneer laminate) to water. Resorcinol was the glue used in original attachment (along with many bronze screws) of the CB trunk to the keel. Resorcinol does have a finite life. I speak from the experience of a too long total rebuild of Thistle hull 53 (built in 1946).

Rigging does look good.

And yes that's my boat :wacko: bought it last year on a whim and sailed it once. Had a hoot but I need a Laser instead so I don't need to rely on someone else to get out there and learn to sail. :(

Help me sell it!...:D

Allthewayne, I think I know why you would want to move to single handler boat...but a Laser? Not an OK, Kite, or Finn, even a crazy outrigger or ex collegiate 420 with movable mast step, for all potential crew sits...and haul swill too? Just an observation, NRN!  

Well I wanted to single hand the 470, and probably could (built 200lbs). But I'm not a member of a club and have no where to store it stepped so that means trailering, stepping, rigging, launching all to bomb around single handed with zero fleet around me. I want to start racing, and for that purpose and the ease of launching the laser is the way to go. There's a group of local guys that race weekly, as well as weekly coaching. My buddies C&C makes a good swill hauler :D

Pretty much set on the Laser, everyone around me at my local club is telling me that's what I should choose to learn to sail, there's an active local fleet here in Victoria, and I've actually already sourced one in good shape.  I'm planning to drop down to 185-190 so I'll be fine. Right now I've just been crewing on big boats, I want to learn helm and race tactics/strategy with the laser and then progress to foiling on a moth or something. :D:ph34r:

The fleet “everybody” sails is always the best fleet. 

Note: is the alternative... “Everybody” is dumber than the guys on SA ?? 

Go with the “everybody” boat. There is no easier way to learn than to ride around with everybody. 

• Like 3

Makes perfect sense to me...All, Alan and Rudder-man...swill dost best on larger rigs...as doth larger swillers!

Another terrific design that struggled. If you can, BUY THIS BOAT!

Moi aussi, goes without saying...rare...looks in very decent shape. Not much to worry about...might add carbon spars...for me...and some hook and loop for "kewler!"

Much like the way of the starboats, I suspect we can expect to see a few FINNs start showing up on here in the next couple of years.

Age predictor...fairly easy to do...if sailors keep sailing...boats tend to fit ability, sort of like dogs matching owner's something.

I may have to buy this thing , splash a mold, and start building them the way I wanted to build them in 1975...’

plus everything I have learned since the  ( OK both things I have learned )

(OK and I forgot a whole lotta stuff)

but... with proper laminates, decent modern rigging, and a decent set of sails, this boat could have been a very nice toy 

built at around 400 pounds with shit rigging and crappy sails it was still Better than a Whole lot of other boats. 

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/d/bandit-sailboat-15/6589453891.html

CDF1D145-E084-4B8D-9B83-C3933DAF8EEF.jpeg

• Like 1

Dig all the sentiments, but marketing...therein lies the rub. Agree with your thinking, but let us say the project was a winner, figuratively and literally...you get my drift?

7 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

I may have to buy this thing , splash a mold, and start building them the way I wanted to build them in 1975...’

plus everything I have learned since the  ( OK both things I have learned )

(OK and I forgot a whole lotta stuff)

but... with proper laminates, decent modern rigging, and a decent set of sails, this boat could have been a very nice toy 

built at around 400 pounds with shit rigging and crappy sails it was still Better than a Whole lot of other boats. 

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/d/bandit-sailboat-15/6589453891.html

CDF1D145-E084-4B8D-9B83-C3933DAF8EEF.jpeg

Make it a different color too, please.

But it would be a great project

FB- Doug

Makes sense. Carbon spars, new motors...might work.

Flyer and Bill, good one...Pink? Easy on the eyes.

13 hours ago, bill4 said:

Image result for bile color

The color sold well around Army bases. The other color that year was a dark blue with the same yellowish cream color. 

Eithercway, the deck color was easy on the eyes and not hot under the ass 

On ‎05‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:30 PM, Alan Crawford said:

And a Washington state trifecta, a Hoot for $1600 in Kirkland.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/d/hoot-sailboat/6587626393.html

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 5.28.12 PM.png

Just a few years ago I was looking at these boats, they seemed really awesome! I think I'm still on one of their mailing lists. $1,600 is a steal if it comes with everything needed to get sailing.

$1500 to some not 250 to most...believe it...the Banshee cuts it as does the slow Cape Dory rig above, IMO, but what do I know? Some boats you cannot outgrow...this one ain'

t one of them...to me!

Looks like a decent 14. Price may be set for dickering...Gouv, you see this, you will likely note the narrow rails or gunnels, speed incentive...Young bums seem numb to them, as I recall. I still love these things but have to admit, never sailed one in a chop. Interesting boat and not far from here...New Prague, wonder how it got there and if there are more around. 

Dex, will have to check it out...are there any "cheap boats? In long-run? But I get it and will look.

How about this, a 'Frolicat I by Fiberdyne'?   I have never heard of the boat or the manufacturer.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/d/1968-catamaran-frolicat-by/6551192678.html

As a new UFO owner, I'm struck by the similarities in the hull.  9' long, solid deck, what looks to be an aluminum rudder and centerboard.   Perhaps Fulcrum Speedworks wants to make a foiling retrofit kit for this breakthrough mini-cat design of the 60s! 

On 12/7/2015 at 11:43 AM, jersey_sailor said:

That is an extremely old Blue Jay, and the listed sail number is likely incorrect, unless it was not built by the major builder(s). My old one (#4868) was built in 1968, lacked air tanks, and also had a wooden boom. They've had airtanks at least since the 5K series.

Also, who would use a winch on that?

Still, they are far better boats for teaching sailing than Optis...

Why did you decide to add that last comment?? 

Every kid in an Opti has a tiller and mainsheet . Operation of a blue Jay takes multiple kids. They are such entirely different sailing platforms, I cannot take anyone seriously who claims one or the other is “better.”

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Champlain Sailor said:

How about this, a 'Frolicat I by Fiberdyne'?   I have never heard of the boat or the manufacturer.

As a new UFO owner, I'm struck by the similarities in the hull.  9' long, solid deck, what looks to be an aluminum rudder and centerboard.   Perhaps Fulcrum Speedworks wants to make a foiling retrofit kit for this breakthrough mini-cat design of the 60s! 

Cool "concept" boat...... doubt it sails well enough to be worth the effort, though.

FB- Doug

22 hours ago, Champlain Sailor said:

This must be the smaller progenitor of the Hobie Monocat:

homepage.jpg?type=sn

What comes around, keeps going around.

- Stumbling

12 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

That trailer does not look like it's worth the effort to make it roadworthy.

Could be made into a nice boat, if sounds and spars are there .... the mast looks bent but that could just be the photo..... don't see a boom or rudder. Sails and rigging are trash.

A friend of mine has a Rhodes 19 cb at our club, I have not sailed one of these boats in decades but IIRC they are great, thoroughbreds although not speed demons.

FB- Doug

12 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

Not on Craigslist but just added to the SA classifieds: UFO in Central Texas for $4000!

Not a bad price...seems cheap!

• Like 1