WCB

Craigslist Finds

On 8/25/2018 at 12:02 AM, Great Red Shark said:

If it IS an MFG Sidewider,  I can assure you: no boat would be better.

By that,  I mean:  You would be lucky to enjoy that boat.

Clever

But honestly, I don't think luck plays a part. You could be a masochist, and enjoy that boat plenty

FB- Doug

Depends on so much. Zero might be too much or 500...labor, hardware...the little stuff like fasteners, gudgeons and pintles etc. Have to have desire and to see it. Es are very nice boats.

6 hours ago, GBAY said:

I came across an old wood wayfarer on kijiji. Lota of work to do , but looks structurally good.  No jib.  Small craft of south Hampton built. 1964.   They’re asking $1000 CND.  What would be a good price for such a project?

BB941322-B2FA-4312-91E6-D7E3DCE27EB6.jpeg

It all depends. Have you taken a look at the boat? Do you know the history of the boat - how many owners and so on? Do you have prior small wooden boat experience? Do you know where to look for structural problems in wooden Wayfarers? Are there resources around that can provide some guidance as you put this boat back into tip-top shape? A picture and some relatively nice paint can mask more significant problems that the seller may not really know about. All that said, it could be a fun project.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

It all depends. Have you taken a look at the boat? Do you know the history of the boat - how many owners and so on? Do you have prior small wooden boat experience? Do you know where to look for structural problems in wooden Wayfarers? Are there resources around that can provide some guidance as you put this boat back into tip-top shape? A picture and some relatively nice paint can mask more significant problems that the seller may not really know about. All that said, it could be a fun project.

I've had a look. History is that it was original owner...kept in boat house when not used.  Property sold with boats and new owner selling.  No previous wooden boat experience.  I have carpentry skills.  Resources wouldn't be an issue.  I'd obviously be putting some hours and dollars into it.  Think it's worth it in that price range?

Single owner and storage seems a plus. From just a little looking around on the web, it sounds like the hull is plywood? If so, is there a layer of glass over the plywood? If so, the glass may be hiding some problems. With no glass, there could be some problems lurking within the plywood. 

Does it come with a trailer? 

I own a 1946 wooden Thistle that I purchased from the original owner. Based on my Thistle experience, I strongly advise you to contact someone in the Wayferer class and get pointed towards someone who’s rebuilt a woodie of this boats vintage. Preferably before you buy. Such a person will give you a good idea of what’s in store for you with this rebuild. People in the Thistle class who had restored woodies provided invaluable experience and also steered me away from more than one woodie.

If after this you see no major red flags, I would offer perhaps $500 and see what happens! Maybe the new property owner wants the boat house empty before the snow flies?!

• Like 1

Wayfarers are cool boats,  but that one looks like it's got a wooden mast - so,  it's OLD,  and not likely to be very competitive,  thus - not likely of interest to class-racing enthusiasts.

Very different from the hot-molded Thistle's construction,  you actually want some real light wooden boat knowledge for these.

13 hours ago, GBAY said:

I've had a look. History is that it was original owner...kept in boat house when not used.  Property sold with boats and new owner selling.  No previous wooden boat experience.  I have carpentry skills.  Resources wouldn't be an issue.  I'd obviously be putting some hours and dollars into it.  Think it's worth it in that price range?

If you have to ask, I'd say no.

The boat is an old wooden project of no historical value, so how much is it worth to you? As an interesting and challenging project that you're going to spend more money on? As a boat to enjoy sailing?

If the latter, I'd say "Run away!!" If the former, only you can really say.... how much will you regret spending on it, if all that ever comes of it is a picturesque planter out in the yard?

FB- Doug

Es are wonderful boats, BUT Steam Flyer Doug is correct...pragmatic common sense should prevail...so much involved.

12 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

Wayfarers are cool boats,  but that one looks like it's got a wooden mast - so,  it's OLD,  and not likely to be very competitive,  thus - not likely of interest to class-racing enthusiasts.

Very different from the hot-molded Thistle's construction,  you actually want some real light wooden boat knowledge for these.

Good point. With the right crew and preparation, a 1946 wooden Thistle can be as competitive as a brand new 2018 glass Thistle. I'm not sure about Wafarers, i.e. are woodies competitive with modern glass boats. This point plays a big part in the resale value for many people. It also played a part in how much I was willing to pay for the Thistle and especially a really old wooden Thistle. If someone is looking just for a great wooden boat project, then maybe something like this Wayfarer is the way to go but, in my opinion, if you're going to invest the time into such a project, you may as well pick the project starting point that has value to you and others.

In the end it comes down to a personal decision that can be helped along by seeking advice as GBAY is doing. And, I might add, our advice here is super cheap!!  

On 8/26/2018 at 11:22 PM, Alan Crawford said:

Single owner and storage seems a plus. From just a little looking around on the web, it sounds like the hull is plywood? If so, is there a layer of glass over the plywood? If so, the glass may be hiding some problems. With no glass, there could be some problems lurking within the plywood. 

Does it come with a trailer? 

I own a 1946 wooden Thistle that I purchased from the original owner. Based on my Thistle experience, I strongly advise you to contact someone in the Wayferer class and get pointed towards someone who’s rebuilt a woodie of this boats vintage. Preferably before you buy. Such a person will give you a good idea of what’s in store for you with this rebuild. People in the Thistle class who had restored woodies provided invaluable experience and also steered me away from more than one woodie.

If after this you see no major red flags, I would offer perhaps $500 and see what happens! Maybe the new property owner wants the boat house empty before the snow flies?!

Thanks for the idea re: getting in touch with others with experience with this type.  I've got them to 700$.  I'm very tempted at that price.  I admit to an irrational attraction to the wood.

Lot's of wayfarers around here...just have to find someone who's done a woody.   

No trailer unfortunately...in my search for a cheap one (I've never had a trailerable boat before) I came across one that may or may not work (haven't looked yet), but they said I can have the boat on top for free.  Anyone know what this is?  Built by Koma Boats Ltd. (Canada).  Doesn't look to be an Albacore...

IMG_3898.PNG

IMG_3895.JPG

Alis were Fox boats, and Mr. F like plumb bows...but...

23 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

I thought the same but the lack of aft compartment/hatch and a couple other things made me think otherwise. I've only seen a couple photos of others (they seem to be google proof).  I guess it's just small changes over the years.  Can't find much info.  I'll check it out later today...there will likely be more clues in person.

3 hours ago, GBAY said:

Thanks for the idea re: getting in touch with others with experience with this type.  I've got them to 700$.  I'm very tempted at that price.  I admit to an irrational attraction to the wood.

Lot's of wayfarers around here...just have to find someone who's done a woody.   

No trailer unfortunately...in my search for a cheap one (I've never had a trailerable boat before) I came across one that may or may not work (haven't looked yet), but they said I can have the boat on top for free.  Anyone know what this is?  Built by Koma Boats Ltd. (Canada).  Doesn't look to be an Albacore...

IMG_3898.PNG

IMG_3895.JPG

That's a Flying Junior, or FJ...... from the days before they were "club-ized" to become a high school / collegiate boat.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

The Link was hard-chined, so that can't be it.  If that is a centerboard case and the board is just missing I agree with Steam Flyer on the FJ. If it is a dagger board I have no idea. Kind of a funny angle.

58 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

That's a Flying Junior, or FJ...... from the days before they were "club-ized" to become a high school / collegiate boat and competed against 420 marketing...before "clubs?"

FB- Doug

Aya...save c'board, although seems Advance in KC made a few with daggers, as I recall...back in the caves and to early 70s I think. Glass then too.

15 minutes ago, BobBill said:

Aya...save c'board, although seems Advance in KC made a few with daggers, as I recall...back in the caves and to early 70s I think. Glass then too. 

???

W'da fuck??!?

How do you know about the caves of KC?

Fb- Doug

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

???

W'da fuck??!?

How do you know about the caves of KC?

Fb- Doug

Visited Advance almost bought FJ from them. They had plant and sales room in those Caves...same temp all year round...kinda different, really, for me. 

1 minute ago, BobBill said:

Visited Advance almost bought FJ from them. They had plant and sales room in those Caves...same temp all year round...kinda different, really, for me. 

Ah, OK. Not like it's some secret, just not very many people know about it. I worked there at a fiberglass plant making van bodies, never did visit Advance. I think they built aero components too.

Back on topic..... the FJ is a nice little boat. I'd be leery of a metal plate centerboard. Our youth program had a Paceship FJ with an aluminum one that could not be used to right the boat if capsized. A PITA and fortunately we soon got other, better boats.

P1220321sm.jpg

FB- Doug

On 8/24/2018 at 11:51 AM, Alan Crawford said:

Sidewinder? If so, check out some other quotes / opinions on this thread.

It is a Copperhead. 

I am the intergalactic champion . I have held the title since the last intergalactics were held in the seventies 

it was one of the many almost great boats kikkedboff by the incompetence of MFG with respect to Sailboats and Dick Gibbs asinine rigging. 

I built one with an 80 lb total weight of the hull and deck, bung some nice foils  under it, borrowed a Laser rig, took it to Erie Yacht club and sailed faster than any dinghies I could pace nearby. 

It planed fabulously  and went upwind right next to thistles and lightings 

but

i got caught and they made me chop it up. 

I cant gripe, MFG paid my way through Penn State and to regattas all summer everybyear but DAMNIT we had a great bunch of hull molds and we built pigs 

• Like 2

Doug, I see. Those caverns were interesting, but was visiting a classmate and fam and could not stay long. Now I see we have and answer from the Intergalactic churner, Gov...makes sense to me.

The Banshee is lowered FJ (FWIW) and the hull design is one of the best to me, just seemed to give it up to the 420.

Advance made some other boats also, but cannot recall them, just the FJ. As I recall, semi tractor rolled in to those caves. 

I still have a menu from a restaurant we went to on the river somewhere here. Food was the max and not BBQ. I think whole lobster was 6.95...Savoy maybe??? 

Drove down last summer and KC was so different...lots of crazy stories to tell.

Welp...it turned out to be an FJ.

Any fixing this mast step (?).  Boat's free with trailer I'm buying.

IMG_3904.JPG

IMG_3907.JPG

3 hours ago, GBAY said:

Welp...it turned out to be an FJ.

Any fixing this mast step (?).  Boat's free with trailer I'm buying.

IMG_3904.JPG

IMG_3907.JPG

Definitely fixable mast step and easy too given how open the access is to it.  Clean it all out, grind back to glass, bond in a new piece of wood and then glass it back in. The only trick will be getting the height correct and you should hopefully have a mast with a deck band to help with that.

It might be easier to bond in a few g10 plates, no worries about compression or water ingress.

Dagger or centerboard?

Curious. That hull could be old Advance or from Canada. Looks familiar...

34 minutes ago, BobBill said:

Dagger or centerboard?

Curious. That hull could be old Advance or from Canada. Looks familiar...

It’s a dagger.  Made in Canada (koma boats)  

6 hours ago, Major Tom said:

It might be easier to bond in a few g10 plates, no worries about compression or water ingress.

This.... wood is just going to rot again, and can turn spongy in a season. The boat is sort of a throw-away, to be sure, but if it's worth fixing at all, it's worth fixing so it won't fall apart again. Plus, it's a good opportunity to gain skill in this field..... :blink:

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, GBAY said:

It’s a dagger.  Made in Canada (koma boats)  

Figured, thanks.

Easy fix...sanding holiday...might consider using base-damaged carbon windsurf spars for mast and boom...loose footed main...be interesting...if rules permit...have to do ferrules right.