WCB

Craigslist Finds

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

The problem with that one is that it's being done by one of those charity organizations. You owe them a fee above your winning bid, and they don't have it for you to inspect, and they have no responsibility other than taking your money.

I've had several friends with bad experiences (donating to and buying from) these types of groups, I'm considering contacting them for details but generally skip this kind of ad.... this 5O5 may be worth making an effort but not worth getting ripped off (and not ending up with the boat).

FB- Doug

I missed the fact that it was being sold by a charity.  There is some risk there but don't let it spook you.  I have experience with those purchases, I've bought a couple for our program out here and so far so good.  I paid $12 for a Rhodes 19, plus fees and it's worth well more than that and the transaction was pretty painless.  The owner had the key documents.  The charity just sent a confirmation of payment and release of the boat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dgmckim said:

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/boa/d/fireball-sail-boat/6743322173.html

man too bad i can't grab this. looks like a decent boat.

We had a Fireball a couple of years ago but it was last on a long list of projects so we sold it off from our program.  I would have liked to take it for a sail.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the Fireball Worlds are in Montreal in August 2019. looks like there will be a trophy for a 'classic boat' category. That'll be popular with North American Boats, if they show up! i'm too broke to afford another boat/a trip to Montreal but I wish I could go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up a beater Fireball for $400 years ago in Hawaii.  We sailed it out in the ocean, surfing and planing in the waves.  Not the safest thing I've ever done, but we had a blast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2018 at 7:15 PM, dgmckim said:

the Fireball Worlds are in Montreal in August 2019. looks like there will be a trophy for a 'classic boat' category. That'll be popular with North American Boats, if they show up! i'm too broke to afford another boat/a trip to Montreal but I wish I could go.

This is a little bit tempting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, gobigkahuna said:

I picked up a beater Fireball for $400 years ago in Hawaii.  We sailed it out in the ocean, surfing and planing in the waves.  Not the safest thing I've ever done, but we had a blast.

That sounds like a pretty damn good time. What's unsafe about it?  Just the fact that it was a $400 beater that may self destruct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WCB said:

That's different...

Used to a see a few of these kicking around. Ugly, slow and ugly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$550 bucks for two fireballs? almost worth a cross country trip

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2018 at 3:39 AM, Crazy Horse said:

Nice, the Farr 740 sport never really took off in NZ but the close cousin the 750 was very popular. I know a family of 5 including 3 young kids cruised one regularly even crossing from Wellington to Tasman bay on the northern South Island. Dad then raced it regularity in lad mode. Interesting to see one in the USA, enjoy and have lots of quality time with the family.

Do you have any idea of how many Farr 740 Sport where made? Not much info on them. I really like this boat although I have been sailing it almost exclusively singlehanded and all the strings to pull gets a bit tiring. I had running backstays on my E-scow but I had some crew on it. Almost no wind this season so I haven't had an opportunity to see what she can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2018 at 3:39 AM, Crazy Horse said:

Nice, the Farr 740 sport never really took off in NZ but the close cousin the 750 was very popular. I know a family of 5 including 3 young kids cruised one regularly even crossing from Wellington to Tasman bay on the northern South Island. Dad then raced it regularity in lad mode. Interesting to see one in the USA, enjoy and have lots of quality time with the family.

Do you have any idea of how many Farr 740 Sport where made? Not much info on them. I really like this boat although I have been sailing it almost exclusively singlehanded and all the strings to pull gets a bit tiring. I had running backstays on my E-scow but I had some crew on it. Almost no wind this season so I haven't had an opportunity to see what she can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikegt4 said:

Do you have any idea of how many Farr 740 Sport where made? Not much info on them. I really like this boat although I have been sailing it almost exclusively singlehanded and all the strings to pull gets a bit tiring. I had running backstays on my E-scow but I had some crew on it. Almost no wind this season so I haven't had an opportunity to see what she can do.

I suggest you move this over to Sport Boat Anarchy. Probably more interest/responses for you there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mikegt4 said:

Do you have any idea of how many Farr 740 Sport where made? Not much info on them. I really like this boat although I have been sailing it almost exclusively singlehanded and all the strings to pull gets a bit tiring. I had running backstays on my E-scow but I had some crew on it. Almost no wind this season so I haven't had an opportunity to see what she can do.

I would enquire through the NZ sites you find on Google under Farr 740, a quick read shows that they were made in NZ, Australia and still can be ordered from Italy? As bill4 suggests maybe more feedback in the Sports Boat section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

I would enquire through the NZ sites you find on Google under Farr 740, a quick read shows that they were made in NZ, Australia and still can be ordered from Italy? As bill4 suggests maybe more feedback in the Sports Boat section.

I may do that although I don't consider it a "sport boat". I have been on an S2 7.9 Grand Slam and find the 740 to be a slightly smaller (24' vs. 26') version of that boat both in design and execution. It is also much more of a cruiser/trailer sailor than a J24 but with the same performance level, a real cabin and a huge cockpit with real seats. Actually I measured the cockpit  when a fellow dock holder  commented on how big it was compared to his SJ23. It came out as 5' from seatback to seatback and a little over 8' long.

I did a lot of Goggling both before and after purchasing the boat and found the same info. It seems that it was popular in JOG racing but fell out of favor and sort of quickly disappeared from the scene. As I noted in an earlier post I did find that my boat was featured in the factory brochure which was pretty exciting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 2:21 PM, WCB said:

And in the same vein, a $76 J22 in NY with no reserve but likely some fees.  

J22 in NY with no reserve

This J22 went back onto Ebay but I'll spare you the link.  Still at $10 with no bids, but a $300 fee.  $310 J22 anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WCB said:

This J22 went back onto Ebay but I'll spare you the link.  Still at $10 with no bids, but a $300 fee.  $310 J22 anyone?

Would love that for our keelboat program, alas wrong coast and the cracked keel floor looks suspect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a 470 in your area.  $99 on ebay, no reserve and these guys don't charge fees like boat angel ministries does.

$99 Vanguard 470 in San Fran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WCB said:

How about a 470 in your area.  $99 on ebay, no reserve and these guys don't charge fees like boat angel ministries does.

$99 Vanguard 470 in San Fran

Thanks, we’re pretty set on double-handers. But oversubscribed for the keel program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 1997 Laser...never sailed!  The epitome of a post-cure barn find.  I feel like a wanna be car collector when I say that I want this boat and I want to mount it to the wall.  

1997 Laser (not 1977) time capsule for $3,500

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1974 Parker 505 on Ebay for $99 starting bid.  This is the donation site that doesn't charge fees.

1974 Parker 505 in Oregon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same story with the no fee donation site.  A 1970 Sunfish with trailer in Austin, TX for $99

1970 Sunfish in Austin TX at $99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WCB said:

Save a classic I14? There's one that's "make an offer" in Salem, OR.  Any I14s pros that can i.d. this one?

Make an offer on this old woodie I14 in Salem, OR

On second look it appears to need a skilled craftsman to fix a hole in the bottom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing, isn't it! Offer what you think intuitively...what else...that is a one-of-a-kind. Belongs in a museum, sort of as is, (not on water) with some slight "touch-ups (IMO) just being in such a storage area to me would be an honor...Amazing...but I like old stuff, specially wood stuff.

That hull and parts belongs in solid I-14 club display...am sure Stu Walker, who is off sailing, would be envious.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A what-is-it in South Carolina

https://greenville.craigslist.org/boa/d/greenville-sailboat/6783541294.html

It's a fairly nice looking but generic boat, I have only a vague idea what it is.

00m0m_lLPx3MMW0Jc_1200x900.jpg

00R0R_6N4etYeyPS5_1200x900.jpg

A Mutineer, maybe? At least the seller is well-enough clued to give a us a pic of the HIN

00808_jq2Atvn8tkd_1200x900.jpg

Any guesses?

FB- Doug

 

Th stern looks more Mu

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Mutt

I think you're right, the stern looks Mutineer-ish

Unless it has good sails and that's a galvanized trailer (looks painted but not sure), not such a good deal for $US 595

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mutineer doesn't sail badly, just way too sticky. I'd hold out for an Albacore if I wanted a old 15ish foot 2-hander.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, or a Vanguard, every so often, or a 420

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it might be a Coronado 15 at first.  I had one once--it was a fine boat, if you like that sort of thing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Coquina012 said:

I thought it might be a Coronado 15 at first.  I had one once--it was a fine boat, if you like that sort of thing. 

Nothing wrong with the Coronado 15, except that they're all old and crunchy by this point.

My college sailing club had a fleet of them, they were wonderful multi-purpose boats. Once we got sails with foolproof float-tops so the masts stopped getting stuck in the shallow lake bottom, we had a blast with those boats. In fact one of my old college friends recently bought one anticipating fun times again, only to get a sad lesson in why fiberglass really isn't forever.

FB- Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly my experience.  I am a woodenboat guy and avoid FRP, except now have two of them.  The Coronado I bought was a super boat, but god, the degradation of the glass hull--I could bitch for an hour about it.  Glass splinters everywhere you touched, innumberable cracks and breaks, wood structural pieces punky or so water-saturated they were like a dish sponge.  BUT--had the finest balance of any tiller I have ever used.  Wanted to plane every-which-a-way.  Stable in gusts, and hardened up in a blow.  Truly a superior design.  Strip built in cedar, that boat would have been a masterpiece, instead of the landfill it was. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one back in the mid 90s in Newport.  Used to single-hand the thing because I couldn't find crew.  Just had to put a really long tiller extension on it so I could drive from the trapeze.  Responded really well to sail balance control, between partially raising the CB (it pivots, so that moves the CR aft) or just not flying the jib.

It tried to sink dockside in a big storm.  Turns out the guy who put the deck on never sealed the deck-hull seam...so once the gunwales went under, she just started to fill up.  And that's a really heavy boat when it is full of water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 1975 Newport Finn in San Diego area for $1000. Yes its old but looks to be in good shape. Interesting that the present owner doesn't list it as a Finn. Only as a 15' sailboat.

Has a fiberglass mast but no info.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/boa/d/oceanside-15-sailboat/6798787796.html

 

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 12.48.33 PM.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan, the drool from my mouth hits keys...thanks. Lovely Finn.With trailer, got me going...and Newport (Costa Mesa) made wonderful boats...I know I will dream of it tonight. Thanks again...dang...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BobBill said:

Alan, the drool from my mouth hits keys...thanks. Lovely Finn.With trailer, got me going...and Newport (Costa Mesa) made wonderful boats...I know I will dream of it tonight. Thanks again...dang...

As a famous person said once “if you don’t do it now you will be a year older when you do!”

Based on the pics and price it looks like a great way to try out a Finn!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan, makes sense to me, save I have a rig I built (Malibu Outrigger) of mostly recycled and hand made parts. Murphy's law...as soon as one steps out, the weather shifts...

Love Finns and Banshees, and envy owners, but at the time I decided to do a MO, no Finns or Banshees were available.

Frankly, if this boat were available a year earlier, no problem for me to drive down to pick up and return...

Alas, too late now...dang.

Am still drooling...woke me up, in fact and it is -8 outside.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BobBill said:

Alan, makes sense to me, save I have a rig I built (Malibu Outrigger) of mostly recycled and hand made parts. Murphy's law...as soon as one steps out, the weather shifts...

Love Finns and Banshees, and envy owners, but at the time I decided to do a MO, no Finns or Banshees were available.

Frankly, if this boat were available a year earlier, no problem for me to drive down to pick up and return...

Alas, too late now...dang.

Am still drooling...woke me up, in fact and it is -8 outside.

 

BobBill, there is a $900 Finn in Oklahoma...  http://sailingtexas.com/201901/sfinnsailer103.html 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HELL OF A DEAL!

BUY IT AND I'LL STORE IT AT MCKEXAS BOATYARD!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And what do I do with the MO I built? There's the rub!!!GnarlyStreet05.thumb.jpg.34e6a0cf7c4f22f24bd9b19c1652093c.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BobBill said:

And what do I do with the MO I built? There's the rub!!!

Introduce the MO to her new friend, a Finn!

-15 here but the snow has been great (warmer in the mountains with a strong inversion)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan, thought of it, but no room and wife would not leave car outside...MN weather is like where you are ...sometimes. Been too cold to hike or hunt really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my JY15 one year ago for $150 and spent about 10 times that outfitting her for prpf racing, I found a Morgan out island for 50 bucks in Cali once (obviously did’nt buy it...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a 49er at the Skiff Sailing Foundation for $4k. That'd be a fun ride...

49er in Cali for $4k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stumblingthunder said:

If that was centerboard instead of dagger board, I would snap it up for the Everglades Challenge.

- Stumbling

Why would that put you off?

I've run daggerboards aground thousands of times! No prob!!

FB- Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

Why would that put you off?

I've run daggerboards aground thousands of times! No prob!!

FB- Doug

The Gougeons i550 Hot Canary had a daggerboard, although I can't seem to remember if the boat ever completed the Everglades Challenge.   I believe that the  two times that the boat participated, HC had rudder problems, once with the Gougeons and once with some friends of mine who chartered the boat.

I have run a number of boats aground with centerboards, dagger boards and fixed keels over my lifetime, so not afraid of that.   The EC course goes though Florida Bay in the keys, with numerous swampy shallow spots.   Having to install a crane to lift the daggerboard defeats the quickness necessary to deal with florida real estate.

- Stumbling

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carbon said:

This has probably already been posted but assuming the reserve is not outrageous this might be a good deal for an old Snipe in great shape:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Snipe-Sailboat/254120471361

I think that was the first post on that one...good find!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 12:31 PM, WCB said:

Not a bad price for that boat too. More realistic than most I've seen.

Hey...if anyone is seriously interested in this boat, (mx ray) email me. I live about a half an hour from there, and unless you know what a smib is, you are going to need some help hooking up with it.

 

Jimmy

jimmydyurko 

at

Gmail

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, WCB said:

$800 Classic Int.14 in Costa Mesa

Yellow Submarine for $800

On the outside looks pretty good but gotta wonder what's hiding in the bow tank and under the seat tanks....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are those the shroud anchorages on the front of the buoyancy tank? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dart96 said:

Are those the shroud anchorages on the front of the buoyancy tank? 

 

I think those are just knees for support of the topsides but a more seasoned I14 pro should chime in here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a hull I once used...all mahogany...but a couple things...Seems way back in this thread there was a mahogany 14 offered on the East coast, maybe Maine. Was more interesting (to me) and older.

I honestly cannot say much about 14-hulls, as I do not know much, except that they are wood and might be "tortured" ply, and difficult to deal with for repairs, if needed. 

If the rig comes with all the goodies and trailer...maybe at half the asking price...Sail, blocks, wire; lots to think about...even rail covers...but that about it for me. The word "mahogany" alone tempts, especially from the 60s, but have worked with enough of it to know it may need some TLC (labor). Ninety percent of refit is sanding...still, love the pics...very familiar.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dart96 said:

Are those the shroud anchorages on the front of the buoyancy tank? 

 

I can't speak for these old I-14's but wooden Thistles are of similar design (wooden Thistles were built by D&M of hot molded mahogany plywood just like the D&M I-14's). With the Thistles, those large knees at the front of the seats are where the shrouds are attached. Same also for modern glass Thistles. However, with the photo of that I-14 I don't see holes in the rails for the shrouds to pass and those things mounted on the knees seem too far inboard (but then, again, I'm not sure about I-14). From the pictures also it looks like a lot of rigging is missing.

Again, the boat looks like a potential good project but what's hiding under the bow tank and seat tanks? If those are not built properly, the hidden areas can be a haven for rot. Was the hull covered with glass? If so, what's hiding behind the glass and at least the yellow paint. Visible parts of the cockpit wood do look good. There's no tell-tale dark areas indicating dry rot.

@Irrational 14 is the expert here on old 14's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, yes, looks to be original bronze stay anchors forward...missed that...seems the shroud ended with a ball or insert that fit into them and any slack was nutted tight before launch...don;t think they were easily adjusted.long time back for me...slipped my mind.

Thanks.

Bet the mast is something now...cannot recall it was adjustable, save a wood block between it and deck thwart but cannot say, as I do not recall messing with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a dinghy but that hasn't stopped me before.  A J24 in Maryland on a Gov't Auction site.  Looks like they broke the mast on a telephone pole or something but maybe the hull and trailer are a good enough price to make it all worthwhile.

J24 in Maryland w/o a mast

Edit: Whoops, looks like they dropped it off the lift and broke the mast that way...some repairs required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a Martin 243 in California and the starting bid on Ebay is $99.  Even with the trampoline replacement...that's a buy!

Martin 243 in Redondo Beach

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JERK! DO NOT NEED A SIXTH BOAT!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gee! So many dancing partners..must keep ya busy.

I built one and no more time or room for more...under couple feet of snow anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 8:10 AM, Alan Crawford said:

I can't speak for these old I-14's but wooden Thistles are of similar design (wooden Thistles were built by D&M of hot molded mahogany plywood just like the D&M I-14's). With the Thistles, those large knees at the front of the seats are where the shrouds are attached. Same also for modern glass Thistles. However, with the photo of that I-14 I don't see holes in the rails for the shrouds to pass and those things mounted on the knees seem too far inboard (but then, again, I'm not sure about I-14). From the pictures also it looks like a lot of rigging is missing.

Again, the boat looks like a potential good project but what's hiding under the bow tank and seat tanks? If those are not built properly, the hidden areas can be a haven for rot. Was the hull covered with glass? If so, what's hiding behind the glass and at least the yellow paint. Visible parts of the cockpit wood do look good. There's no tell-tale dark areas indicating dry rot.

@Irrational 14 is the expert here on old 14's. 

Hard to know without looking at the hull profile... Seems to me somebody tried to update an older D&M boat AKA One Design 14 or home built a more modern take on it.

Either way,  it looks 60's vintage. The chain-plates should be further outboard closer to rail. A lot of these home-builds were simply one offs that were either quick, just okay, or just plain wrong. I'd also have reservations about any wood tanks but that was the way it was done just before the glass movement. Shame somebody smothered the yellow paint on the outside. Looks fresh and gotta wonder what it's hiding underneath. The boat may be a looker if all natural. Somebody should check it out a bit closer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a Mueller Lightning, #13059.  It looks so amazingly well cared for and clean.

Lightning #13059

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WCB said:

How about a Mueller Lightning, #13059.  It looks so amazingly well cared for and clean.

Lightning #13059

Very decent and with trailer, decent price. Must be near Michigan or Geneva...thing with Lightning is fine-tuning rigging and easy dry sailing. Long past my Lightning days...even 420s. Thanks...have to look up area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BobBill said:
10 hours ago, WCB said:

How about a Mueller Lightning, #13059.  It looks so amazingly well cared for and clean.

Lightning #13059

Very decent and with trailer, decent price. Must be near Michigan or Geneva...thing with Lightning is fine-tuning rigging and easy dry sailing. Long past my Lightning days...even 420s. Thanks...have to look up area.

Mueller made good boats. Solid and well finished. Old Lightnings seem to be going for a song nowadays, they're fun if you have a place to keep them where you can leave the rig up (as intended by S&S)

FB- Doug

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doug, I would add "know how to tune...too." Finicky rig for top VMG racing.

 

Also, boat is way south, which surprises me...but am clueless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'd consider it but there's probably $1500 worth of upgrades I could put into the boat I already own. Looks like a steal though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Mueller made good boats. Solid and well finished. Old Lightnings seem to be going for a song nowadays, they're fun if you have a place to keep them where you can leave the rig up (as intended by S&S)

FB- Doug

 

Unfortunately they never hunted, but a good day sailor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, vtloon said:
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Mueller made good boats. Solid and well finished. ...   ...   ...

 

Unfortunately they never hunted, but a good day sailor.

Are you saying they weren't competitive? I know of a few that went into the top 3 or 4 in the southern circuit, dunno about NAs or Worlds.... everybody was crazy for Allens when I was racing them. But everybody also acknowledged that the Allens went soft after 2~3 years.

4 hours ago, BobBill said:
6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

...    ...    ...  Old Lightnings seem to be going for a song nowadays...    ...    ...

 

Doug, I would add "know how to tune...too." Finicky rig for top VMG racing.

 

Also, boat is way south, which surprises me...but am clueless.

Bad pun. Bad, bad, bad.

Is there such a thing as a good pun?

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 11:53 AM, ortegakid said:

JERK! DO NOT NEED A SIXTH BOAT!

Guess Lifesaver missed out on getting this...too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YEA, HE MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH. But he is kinda glad, he doesn't need another boat either!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ortegakid said:

YEA, HE MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH. But he is kinda glad, he doesn't need another boat either!

I hear ya...it's a disease. I'm starting to look for an I14. That said, I picked up a classic I14 already which I have to fetch from NoCal, but I want a fast one too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really love that green color, what’s the competitive lifespan on a lightning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LTFF said:

Really love that green color, what’s the competitive lifespan on a lightning?

How much money and work are you willing to lavish on it?

Older Nickels seem to be pretty fast, given good care and tuning. I had a 1969 Allen, and with a heck of a lot of grunt work turned it into a competitive boat. Most of the money went for new line & sails, but LPU paint and sandpaper ain't free. It still ended up costing about 1/3 what a new Lightning was going for at the time (early 1990s). Given the state of the market today, you could probably do a little better, percentage-wise.

Any one-design can be competitive if the hull is stiff, fair, and at minimum weight; and the rig can support the sails/tuning currently at the top of the fleet. With Lightnings it's a little more complex because the hull shape has some variation allowed; you want flat rocker, max radius chine fwd and along the keelson, and max curvature athwartship. But that's only going to matter once you're already within grasp of the top; weight & stiffness (the boat will not tune properly if it's even slightly flexy) & sails are 90~95% of the boat's speed..... of course the skipper & crew are by far the biggest factors!

FB- Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doug, not disagreeing, just recalling a different era.

We played with wood hulls and as I recall one event. the owner/skipper spent hours fiddling with the wires, stating more than once, it's all in the tune-up...at that point, I sort of looked harder at the Luders (16) moored just across the harbor...to me the fun was sailing the boat, not eyeballing tension scales...guy was anal...and I knew an older Luders crew member, who had done the Mac on one...never did get to sail on one or sail on the longer 22 sq meters...still dream about those keelers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Are you saying they weren't competitive? I know of a few that went into the top 3 or 4 in the southern circuit, dunno about NAs or Worlds.... everybody was crazy for Allens when I was racing them. But everybody also acknowledged that the Allens went soft after 2~3 years.

Bad pun. Bad, bad, bad.

Is there such a thing as a good pun?

FB- Doug

They were not competitive with the Allen boats.  Not just mine but a lot of others.  When I sold mine I bought an older (12366) Allen, appropriately named Chainsaw Massacre, which was faster.  14520 which I brought down to Oriental was a whole lot faster.  Separate issue: I need to pick your brain about Predicted Log events....will give you a call.  And there's no such thing as a bad pun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BlackieChan said:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/d/sammamish-12-foot-ranger-sailboat-and/6846863108.html

 

$500 ranger 12 and trailer. Not sure how they sail, seems like a great deal

Might row ok for @sullivan and not too far away (from my limited knowledge of how W canada and W usa align)

Edit-  @Suilven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites