WCB

Craigslist Finds

Merit 25 is a nice little boat. Seller is correct...trailer alone is worth more than the $500 asking price.

The boat is 30 years old as is the trailer.

The trailer is not galvanized and it is sitting near the windswept leeward shore of a saltwater bay.

Merits were notorious for their inadequate keel sump construction and de lamination issues in both the hull and deck.

Years ago, when this boat may have been sailed, it probably sailed in one of the most if not THE most brutal venue in the USA. It may have been parked years ago when it became obvious to a disappointed owner, the hull had finished it's useful life.

The construction methods varied and some boats were fine while others were horrid.

It is doubtful one of the gems was simply abandoned.

The trailers supplied by the manufacturer were single axle minimally constructed vehicles which had no adjustments. (on some the keel pad could be adjusted vertically.)

The uprights were minimal with pathetic reinforcements. Many in Austin folded over, dropped, and damaged boats.

The ad makes no mention of titles for either the hull or trailer which may make it impossible to honestly secure a clean title for either.

This could well be a derelict with no sails, no hardware, plenty of critters and their residue, a rusted out trailer, and an opportunity to explain to the government exsctly why you are attempting to relocate this stolen property.

I see the classic case of the free boat whose drain on the owner's net worth establish it as the singular most expensive boat he has ever owned.

• Like 1

I know the whip is likely to be a POS....doesn't change my mind....still very interesting. The original Buccaneers truly sucked and more than half built since '80 are not even worth their weight in lint...but a good one is one of the best sailing boats I've been on.

I like this boat on the style and design. The shitty build... Well I chock that up to the state of the industry at that time.

Besides... I have a big yard...

I know the whip is likely to be a POS....doesn't change my mind....still very interesting. The original Buccaneers truly sucked and more than half built since '80 are not even worth their weight in lint...but a good one is one of the best sailing boats I've been on.

I like this boat on the style and design. The shitty build... Well I chock that up to the state of the industry at that time.

A zombie flower dinghy from Kitsilano. Will make a nice flower planter / Yard art piece...http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/5363577419.html

00E0E_1xzJoHrdaXh_600x450.jpg

Cool but it looks like somebody should have turned Couuchsurfers gardener loose on it ten years ago before the rot got it
Fixed it for ya!

Aw cmon. It is right down the street and the hull

Looks like a half decent shape.

Couch could have built a rig, hung some sails on it, stood on the sides with a trapeze and had that thing hauling ass

Instead the nifty looking wood is now wasted

I sure wish somebody had dropped it off at my shop in 1990

There might have been a fleet by now

• Like 1

A zombie flower dinghy from Kitsilano. Will make a nice flower planter / Yard art piece...http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/5363577419.html

00E0E_1xzJoHrdaXh_600x450.jpg

Cool but it looks like somebody should have turned Couuchsurfers gardener loose on it ten years ago before the rot got it
Fixed it for ya!
Aw cmon. It is right down the street and the hull

Looks like a half decent shape.

Couch could have built a rig, hung some sails on it, stood on the sides with a trapeze and had that thing hauling ass

Instead the nifty looking wood is now wasted

I sure wish somebody had dropped it off at my shop in 1990

There might have been a fleet by now

Is there a surf board in there?

... ... ...

The ad makes no mention of titles for either the hull or trailer which may make it impossible to honestly secure a clean title for either.

This could well be a derelict with no sails, no hardware, plenty of critters and their residue, a rusted out trailer, and an opportunity to explain to the government exsctly why you are attempting to relocate this stolen property.

I see the classic case of the free boat whose drain on the owner's net worth establish it as the singular most expensive boat he has ever owned.

Aside from the fact that Merits have the most consistent deck core problems of any racing boat I've ever heard about... more so than J-24s even. I see the classic case of somebody with a large junk object in their yard trying to get a sucker to pay them to haul it the dump for them.

Pass, not even worth going to look at.

... ...

I have a big yard too, but how much time do you have? Not speaking from pride here, I'm the guy who spent a few weeks labor fixing up an AMF Puffer (which turned into a fairly nice little boat).

Tho old saying "if it looks good, it's probably right" holds true... the Whip looks great. A lot of potential. But IMHO trying make a truly good boat out of this, you'd expend less money and effort (and heartbreak) building a new one from scratch, which is why I suggested using it to pull a mold.

FB- Doug

Skimmer class dinghy worth saving ? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/5383100193.html

"...once owned first by the successful skimmer class racer Leon Bothell and then later by the late Carl Eichenlaub. This is beautiful, historic old boat that deserves to be saved and restored"

00y0y_7YOlWa1Jh8C_600x450.jpg

this one is really good. What's it worth? PT 11 nesting dinghy

00707_jxOE1IO8Y5V_600x450.jpg

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/5394545662.html

That's a neat little boat, awesome design, but put your faith not in house carpenters. They don't understand anything with curves & angles, and they definitely don't understand stress & loads on boat parts. I have seen many bigger cruising boats ruined by cabinetmakers building in new beautiful furniture where the bulkheads & stringers used to be.

FB- Doug

That's a neat little boat, awesome design, but put your faith not in house carpenters. They don't understand anything with curves & angles, and they definitely don't understand stress & loads on boat parts. I have seen many bigger cruising boats ruined by cabinetmakers building in new beautiful furniture where the bulkheads & stringers used to be.

FB- Doug

yes, depends on how/if they followed El Manuel.

Really not much room in there for 'interpretation' - what with the pre-cut panels and close tolerances of that design. Sure looks nice !

agreed. if i get the cruiser, I wonder what he'd part with it for. sure would be nicer hanging from davits than a rubber duck

wife might like the duck a little better though....

FB- Doug

yes, depends on how/if they followed El Manuel.

We looked at trying to finish one of these that had been built by a carpenter type. everything was built right, hull looked good. But glass work was tragic, all rough edges, board & rudder were warped. Told the owner he couldn't afford to have us turn it into a real boat, and it could never be a clear finish hull after repair.

AMF apollo

Looks like a good beginner/family dink...

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bod/5409538981.html

I like the red stick[nb]not a euphemism [/nb]

00i0i_8KcJIszMy4P_600x450.jpg

Seen those around but never sailed one. Looks pretty good, and it's a Bruce Kirby design so how bad can it be?

IIRC a community sailing program in Florida that Tom Ray is involved with has one of these, colored spars & all... ask him if it's worth fooling with. The trailer looks good, IMHO a huge part of whether or not any small cheap boat is really a bargain

FB- Doug

Looks pretty good, and it's a Bruce Kirby design so how bad can it be?

....that means little. Just ask anyone who sailed on the AC 12m 'Canada One' :mellow:

Looks pretty good, and it's a Bruce Kirby design so how bad can it be?

....that means little. Just ask anyone who sailed on the AC 12m 'Canada One' :mellow:

What the...? You mean the framed line drawing I bought at a fund raiser is not worth $thousands?

Dang, Jimmy, three winners in a row except that I'm looking for another 1979-1980-1981 Bucc

I think I looked at that FD a couple years ago, or at least one of the exact same build with the same foredeck imprint.

Coronado 15 is a nice little boat, the college sailing club had 5 of them. I don't know of any other boat with that combination of stability and performance; unfortunately they are all really old and shot now.

FB- Doug

Justin... I'll contact the guy..see if it's available...

Doug... I have several more buccs in my yard if you're seriously interested give me a call

Thinking about this one

http://cbmm.org/boat-donation/3033-chrysler-buccaneer-18-ft-day-sailer/

Good color, galvanized trailer... shit if I'm going to rebuild the CB trunk then this one has been pre-disassembled for me...

FB- Doug

Justin... I'll contact the guy..see if it's available...

Doug... I have several more buccs in my yard if you're seriously interested give me a call

Thinking about this one

http://cbmm.org/boat-donation/3033-chrysler-buccaneer-18-ft-day-sailer/

Good color, galvanized trailer... shit if I'm going to rebuild the CB trunk then this one has been pre-disassembled for me...

FB- Doug

good looking boat...haggle...price is a bit steep for the condition, but if it is solid and under 600# ...... good project boat.

How about a 505 in Florida for $700. Had to post this as I'm towing a 505 across Colorado in the snow...a boat in need of a serious wash at this point.

http://ocala.craigslist.org/boa/5422227817.html

Here's one in Tennessee for even less! $400 and it's all yours, all you have to do is pay the man, fix the trailer, and then you can take it home

http://tricities.craigslist.org/boa/5428566701.html

FB- Doug

Merit 25 for $500...

00Y0Y_k9ad4ywlV9C_600x450.jpg

Sailboat need out of my yard.

Don't know much about it just need it gone.

$500 firm, I know the trailer is worth more than that.

Tires still aired up.

https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/5388147923.html

Wow. Right in my back yard. What's so strange to think is that next weekend I could literally buy that boat and try to figure out what to do with a big non-dinghy sailboat.

How about a 505 in Florida for $700. Had to post this as I'm towing a 505 across Colorado in the snow...a boat in need of a serious wash at this point.

Here's one in Tennessee for even less! $400 and it's all yours, all you have to do is pay the man, fix the trailer, and then you can take it home

FB- Doug

Too funny...I think "mine" is a better value as it's sailable right away. The one in TN certainly offers good access to the forward, formerly watertight, compartment.

FB- Doug

....I dunno,,,you might find another couple of things it needs,, depending on how much you plan to sail :mellow:

00E0E_imTtN13vds3_600x450.jpg

Merit 25 for $500...

00Y0Y_k9ad4ywlV9C_600x450.jpg

Sailboat need out of my yard.

Don't know much about it just need it gone.

$500 firm, I know the trailer is worth more than that.

Tires still aired up.

https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/5388147923.html

Wow. Right in my back yard. What's so strange to think is that next weekend I could literally buy that boat and try to figure out what to do with a big non-dinghy sailboat.

....you got a big yard? :mellow::rolleyes:

FB- Doug

....I dunno,,,you might find another couple of things it needs,, depending on how much you plan to sail :mellow:

00E0E_imTtN13vds3_600x450.jpg

We've transitioned from craigslist shopping to grave-robbing pretty smoothly.

No, but for a mere $500 I start thinking some crazy things:

I could buy it, immediately launch it and sail it out into the Gulf of Mex. Take my Laser or Aero on board. Maybe spend the night out in the Gulf. And then just abandon the boat and sail the Aero back to shore.

I know, dumb idea. But for a mere $500, it makes you start thinking about various crazy adventures you could get yourself into.

No, but for a mere $500 I start thinking some crazy things:

I could buy it, immediately launch it and sail it out into the Gulf of Mex. Take my Laser or Aero on board. Maybe spend the night out in the Gulf. And then just abandon the boat and sail the Aero back to shore.

I know, dumb idea. But for a mere $500, it makes you start thinking about various crazy adventures you could get yourself into.

Leave the Merit alone. Buy $500 worth of beer... wait, make that approx $450 in beer and a big-ass cooler... and then sail out, towing the cooler behind you and slamming it down. Crushing the empties on forehead optional. When you run out of beer, stop and sleep a while. When you wake up, sail home.

This would be a lot more fun and you'll be a hero

FB- Doug

That pretty much happens here in Texas all year and is called the Texas Fleet With No Class or The Classless Fleet or the Texas Centerboard Fleet or That Bunch of Overly Friendly Folks with all The Weird Old Boats and Some Weta's Which Are Weird Anyway.

If you show up with something and rig, they are sincerely excited to see you.

• Like 1

Comes with a Proctor D mast. The preferred section for years and still used by many at the top. When Proctor (selden) quit making the D a few people bought all they could find and are still using them. If the mast is good someone might want it.

That Merit 25 doesn't look too awful. How bad could it be for the money?

well, from personal experience, free is sometimes too much.....

That Merit 25 doesn't look too awful. How bad could it be for the money?

well, from personal experience, free is sometimes too much.....

Zackly

1- fix the trailer, buy new bearings & tires & springs, at least a days' work before getting it rolling, then you have a rusty junk trailer with new bearings etc etc -BUT- at least you got the boat driven to where you want it

2- Core: these boats had cored deck & interior, much of which will be shot. Lotsa work digging out rotten balsa and rebuilding. Mostly time & labor but the materials still aren't free

3- New lines & hardware, minimum $4k if you go for inexpensive but functional. This can be trimmed a bit by shopping ebay and 2nd-hand stores but you're substituting time for money and still won't save more than 10~15% off that. If you like the good stuff (I do, but then I'm spoiled) then you're looking at $5~6k to get the boat raceworthy.

So now you've spent at least a year, maybe two or three, and a minimum of 2X the highest possible market value of the boat, and you haven't bought sails yet.

The good news is, you don't have to spend the money all at once, like you do if you buy a new boat. And if you are ingenious at the time/money substitution then you can end pup with a pretty good boat for not a huge outlay. But I personally would recommend starting with one that has had decent care and in -almost- sailing condition now, for the best price you can negotiate.

I have gone to see quite a few boats I thought were bargains, only to conclude that they needed to be parted out, sell the ballast for scrap, turn the hull upside-down and cut a door in the side for a storage shed. And then only if the owner/seller pays you to get it off his property.

FB- Doug

How about a whole fleet of laser2's complete with 4 pack trailer?

$_27 (1).JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/calgary/4-x-laser-2-sail-boats/1137068026

More or less ready to sail... Sounds interesting!

Still a good deal if your looking for something in this direction.

If never sailed a laser 2 but i hear only praise for it.

Wow, this seems like a really killer deal at $700!

00404_5u67RWPRcyG_600x450.jpg

00B0B_fGV9vmt3JhA_600x450.jpg

I have this 1976 Chrysler Buccaneer for sale. The trailer and boat have current tags and both are clean titled. The trailer is in very good condition. The boat is ready to sail. The main has some stains and missing the call letters on one side. The jib is in good condition and has a roller furling feature. Includes a trolling motor for getting in and out of the pier.

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/5436023139.html

How about a whole fleet of laser2's complete with 4 pack trailer?

$_27 (1).JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/calgary/4-x-laser-2-sail-boats/1137068026

More or less ready to sail... Sounds interesting!

Still a good deal if your looking for something in this direction.

If never sailed a laser 2 but i hear only praise for it.

Problem with the Laser 2 is that it's a bigger, more powerful 2-person boat built to the same standards (and I think mostly with the same scantlings) as the Laser. They were flexy and fragile when new, and the ones I've seen in the past 5 years or so are not a convincing argument that fiberglass improves with age.

They are simple & fun boats too bad there's not something similar on the market nowadays

Wow, this seems like a really killer deal at $700!

00404_5u67RWPRcyG_600x450.jpg

00B0B_fGV9vmt3JhA_600x450.jpg

I have this 1976 Chrysler Buccaneer for sale. The trailer and boat have current tags and both are clean titled. The trailer is in very good condition. The boat is ready to sail. The main has some stains and missing the call letters on one side. The jib is in good condition and has a roller furling feature. Includes a trolling motor for getting in and out of the pier.

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/5436023139.html

Not bad, except that it's too far away from me. The biggest question I have, is that the plumbing-parts roller furler with a pipe inside the jib luff (I'm not kidding) or is it a wire-luff REAL roller furler? It's got the good rudder head +++. Sails? Don't even mention sails since they are probably OEM trash. A good trailer is 1/2 or more the value of the boat; since we're in salt water I prefer galvanized but it's rare to see craigslist finds with galv trailers for < $1,000

I hope somebody takes this one home and loves it.

FB- Doug

I'm driving to the MN/WI area next week so thought I'd see if there are any deals in that area.

Found this Mader Flying Dutchman for $3,500. Not a bad price...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/boa/5438018161.html

Nice looking boat.

What's the draft on a FD? Can you sail one off the beach? Might be a fun little boat for the lake cabin.

very interesting. I only spend a week/year there, but my kids are there for 3 weeks each summer. shallow grade sand beach. midwest winds so sometimes light, sometimes not.

yeah, she's a powerful beast but put a reef in the sail and the kids might have a good time. Self bailing is a huge bonus.

Of course, a Laser is probably a smarter bet.

I'm driving to the MN/WI area next week so thought I'd see if there are any deals in that area.

Found this Mader Flying Dutchman for $3,500. Not a bad price...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/boa/5438018161.html

Nice looking boat.

What's the draft on a FD? Can you sail one off the beach? Might be a fun little boat for the lake cabin.

It would be an awesome boat for a medium or bigger lake; on a small one you'd probably get frustrated trying to keep it going between gusts and having to tack every 1 1/2 minutes becuase it's so fast.

Yes you can sail FD off a beach, CB and kick-up rudder, it's kinda big & heavy though

That's a GREAT find and if I was closer, I'd be all over it!!

FB- Doug

lake is about 1 mile wide. 3 miles long, oriented N/S, prevailing wind is westerly..... plenty of depth and no weeds

lake is about 1 mile wide. 3 miles long, oriented N/S, prevailing wind is westerly..... plenty of depth and no weeds

Gouvernail found a Chrysler era Bucc in San Francisco. http://sfbay.craigsl...5440753433.html I think it must have gotten lost, and should be returned to the Midwest.

Gouvernail found a Chrysler era Bucc in San Francisco. http://sfbay.craigsl...5440753433.html I think it must have gotten lost, and should be returned to the Midwest.

i don't think it'll fit in the overhead.