No bow or cockpit pics?

Backstay? 

A 6.5ksb?

I know this one is not a 110!!!! :  }

On 4/18/2019 at 2:34 PM, Dex Sawash said:

I missed the bow transom in my first look

00909_gB8vkJANX8i_600x450.jpg

00909_cq7k8sGQA09_600x450.jpg

It looks a lot like a Southeaster (my uncle's design), which was fairly popular in the Miami area in the 1950's. They were only 16' long though & I don't think any were glass.

Southeaster.thumb.jpg.f8a99f2f676856987f146b2b3398dade.jpg

Ahh, I see the bow now...I am so dim...kinda of a platypus rig, isn't it?

Hey, I remember the Southeaster. Several used to come from the Miami area to our regatta in Gulfport, Florida. My dad and I easily won sailing the Suicide, also with a wishbone rig.

Lost me..."suicide...wishbone...on that boat?

Muttly says,

Easterhasbeencancelled(2).JPG

14 minutes ago, dgmckim said:

it has a snipe mainsail

image.thumb.png.d1e0019eb6abe27a5d927845f63a36e7.png

I hadn't made it that far in the pictures...sure does look like a snipe

5 hours ago, sailwriter said:

Hey, I remember the Southeaster. Several used to come from the Miami area to our regatta in Gulfport, Florida. My dad and I easily won sailing the Suicide, also with a wishbone rig.

Suicide was the big bro of development boats, compared to the Moth and Int.-14. Max beam of 7' and Max sail area of 125 including spars. Efficiency over brute power. Settled into two schools of design thoughts, an elongated, lowered FD and a narrow chined version. Ours was the latter, 22', 4' wide at the deck, about 220#. In 1957.

We raced in the Flying Dutchman fleet prepping for the 1960 Olympics. Mid fleet until the downwind, with no spin.

Class died when multihulls became viable. Lunatic Fringe jumped.

Snipe or Comet...likely former, as evidence...

Firewood at best.

11 hours ago, sailwriter said:

Suicide was the big bro of development boats, compared to the Moth and Int.-14. Max beam of 7' and Max sail area of 125 including spars. Efficiency over brute power. Settled into two schools of design thoughts, an elongated, lowered FD and a narrow chined version. Ours was the latter, 22', 4' wide at the deck, about 220#. In 1957.

We raced in the Flying Dutchman fleet prepping for the 1960 Olympics. Mid fleet until the downwind, with no spin.

Class died when multihulls became viable. Lunatic Fringe jumped.

Suicides were amazing boats. Here's a photo I took at Gulfport's 1959 Memorial Day Regatta.

I've shown you (sailwriter) this photo before, and you said you thought that was your Suicide (on the right). But I've done some digging & found the results which show that you were sailing in the Skeeter class that weekend. So I think that is probably King Krippendorf in the Suicide. That was the same design as yours though, wasn't it?

The smaller boat on the left is a Moth with a smaller rig (that they called an Intermediate), sailed by Donnie Krippendorf (King's son). 

SuicideandMoth.jpg.fcb0f6360026540f173eba566c1b9492.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, upon expanding the picture, that was King's. My dad built one from the same plans, but had tired of the fire hose on his crew position. So on his he pushed out the topsides for flare, not realizing that it also had the effect of lifting the back of the hull. More rocker. 

It had a good record against Don sailing with his dad as crew and me skippering my dad.

The Skeeter was a 12-foot pram sloop. Oh, and my jib ripped luff to leach in the second race, relegating me to 2nd. Still peeved after all this time.

50 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

A couple links with info about the Suicide class

A closer look (from early 1960):

Suicide_1-1960.thumb.jpg.54b4d077fb6c7b49d1d6019212a9497d.jpg

Barn find.... AD533B9C-7EE6-4866-9743-3D7C4017190A.jpeg.577efdfa0982a7d3868991c25d853c22.jpeg

FA7BDA05-3BD7-473C-9C79-E3137AEA089B.jpeg.d3ce36529b9c4dbab9d20db35a99d273.jpeg

not as cherry as she looks from a distance, needs some serious help, rot, split planks, starboard bilge distorted by improproper support on trailer bunks. But methinks she is well worth the effort.

1955 Ackroyd Dinghy, found far from her home range in Bristol Ct.   

All part of the plan to be the best.

SHC

• Like 2

Trailer looks very decent...

Boat might be better as a bar...in a large rec-room...or above a bar in a yacht club...

3 hours ago, BobBill said:

Trailer looks very decent...

Boat might be better as a bar...in a large rec-room...or above a bar in a yacht club...

Agreed on the trailer, maybe the only good part.

It sure looks like a Lightning. I checked on the class website and, yes, 1938 was the first “strike”.

Looks like quite the rebuild / restoration project. There may be some value IF the hull is really old, ie built in 1938 (assume the 1935 is a mistake). Some wooden Lightning expert could answer that question easily.

9 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

It sure looks like a Lightning. I checked on the class website and, yes, 1938 was the first “strike”.

Looks like quite the rebuild / restoration project. There may be some value IF the hull is really old, ie built in 1938 (assume the 1935 is a mistake). Some wooden Lightning expert could answer that question easily.

Nah, you can buy Lightning #1 for not much more than any other Lightning. That hulk doesn't look like it has a builder's plate anyway..... maybe I'm wrong. Somebody that wanted a vintage woodie might like it, and ask the seller if it's there.

It's gonna be an expensive boat by the time it's done. Good price some firewood on a new-ish galvanized trailer, though.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 9:23 AM, Doug Halsey said:

It looks a lot like a Southeaster (my uncle's design), which was fairly popular in the Miami area in the 1950's. They were only 16' long though & I don't think any were glass.

Southeaster.thumb.jpg.f8a99f2f676856987f146b2b3398dade.jpg

I think I built the last Southeaster in about 1971 in Sacramento.  No one knew what to make out it.  I did modify it by adding more sail area and a double bottom.  It was VERY fast.  I still sail a moth of the same design which is only fast enough on a reach to keep pace with other moths.  

I love that reverse sheer on those jet age ply boats.  There's a Rabl power boat I threaten to build (Buzz Bomb)

MVC_006F.jpg

• Like 1

The Lightning

I see no evidence it was ever finished. It looks like somebody almost built a boat. If it has been stored indoors since whenever that happened it MIGHT be worth finishing the project. 

it looks to be in a condition where it wouid take kess time and money to start from scratch. 

On 4/26/2019 at 6:08 AM, mothman505 said:

I think I built the last Southeaster in about 1971 in Sacramento.  No one knew what to make out it.  I did modify it by adding more sail area and a double bottom.  It was VERY fast.  I still sail a moth of the same design which is only fast enough on a reach to keep pace with other moths.  

The scow Moth In post #17 & #18 in this other thread is more-or-less the same design. Where did you get yours?

As far as speed goes, it was somewhere between the Cates & Shelley designs (highly condition-dependent, of course). It was my sister's boat & she placed 2nd in the Women's divisions in 2 Nationals & 1 North Americans in the mid-60's.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:52 AM, Doug Halsey said:

The scow Moth In post #17 & #18 in this other thread is more-or-less the same design. Where did you get yours?

As far as speed goes, it was somewhere between the Cates & Shelley designs (highly condition-dependent, of course). It was my sister's boat & she placed 2nd in the Women's divisions in 2 Nationals & 1 North Americans in the mid-60's.

I built 2 "Southeaster style" moths.  On about 30 years ago in Melbourne, FL and one about 8 years ago.  I had to guess at the dimensions as I couldn't find the old Mechanics Illustrated plans from the early 50's.  I'm probably too heavy for it.  My Cates will definitely beat my Scow.  I knew The Halsey family as I sailed at Florida State in 1967-8. 

Damn!! I may need clean shirts!!  I am in love!! 

B9A1BFF7-A9B2-4517-A8EF-114824C1782F.jpeg

• Like 1

Forgot about Highlanders...thought it were a Scot cuz no toe-board foreward...might be decent price...just not for me...very kewl rigs...but like Scots, can be boring in time...even with swill-box.

I would be content if all I ever did was ride around the lake enjoying the beautiful wood, waves, sunshine, and breeze. 

I might be sufficiently rewarded just parking it at the club, sitting nearby, and enjoying the reaction of everyone who would pass  by. We have some gloriously maintained  Ensigns  at our club but not one magnificent varnished masterpiece to rival that Highlander.  

• Like 2

$6500 for that Highlander has the appearance of a great deal. It's probably not perfect but sure deserves to see the water. As a point of reference, I've seen fully restored wooden Thistles with new trailer and new suit of sails being sold for upwards of $15,000 - 20,000. 

Looks shiny on the bottom.

wood handrails suggest a four digit sail number. 

The boat wasnt  much good brand new and if sailed by a reasonably healthy person for an afternoon in some waves will probably start ripping apart 

• Like 1

One of those rigs one must see in person...I had same color Laser...deck was suffering seperation and minor step area cracks...

Need also to know how it was stored.

Never know the rig 'til surveyed yourself.

Laser spars take on bends as well.

But, rig is enticing, I must admit, and not a Laser fan.

Always favored green/ivory schemes; not "performance" firm.

Corporate exploiters and it ruined them.

To me?? That Highlander is just a big old boat that needs a $$$ injection. 

The woodie is something that needs a loving home 

The beautiful Wood Highlander has been sold. I took down the post so he wouldn’t get any more  calls. 

Seems like a great fellow!!! 

7 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

The beautiful Wood Highlander has been sold. I took down the post so he wouldn’t get any more  calls. 

Seems like a great fellow!!! 

did you buy it?

23 hours ago, dgmckim said:

did you buy it?

Nope. I called to feel out the seller’s Willingness to wait until I could get there late this month.

i really  didn’t like the fact they had screwed it up  by putting a Fiberglas cloth reinforced plastic skin on the outside 

thst pretty  much guarantees it will rot 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Nope. I called to feel out the seller’s Willingness to wait until I could get there late this month.

i really  didn’t like the fact they had screwed it up  by putting a Fiberglas cloth reinforced plastic skin on the outside 

thst pretty  much guarantees it will rot 

Word.

Any wooden boat with a fiberglass skin on it is a ticking time bomb. In mos cases, if you try to defuse it, you'll find that it's already gone off and the only casualty is your wallet & life.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Megabyte showing up on ebay for $2,500 buy it now or best offer.  

Megabyte in North Carolina

megabyte.jpg

• Like 1

wow what a looker. that thistle is a beauty!

Damn you @Alan Crawford!! This could cause a divorce. I have a J-24?in my shop that needs to be delivered to Seattle and his paid invoice couid easily  buy that gorgeous Thistle  and provide all my gas money .....

but I would have nowhere to live when I got home

• Like 3

Oh, @Gouvernail, I’m sure you can work that out! It may cost you well above $5,500 but your J-24 delivery can be considered providence!

22 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Damn you @Alan Crawford!! This could cause a divorce. I have a J-24?in my shop that needs to be delivered to Seattle and his paid invoice couid easily  buy that gorgeous Thistle  and provide all my gas money .....

but I would have nowhere to live when I got home

but you'd have that thistle!!

41 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Oh, @Gouvernail, I’m sure you can work that out! It may cost you well above $5,500 but your J-24 delivery can be considered providence!

I must admit I am running numbers and considering. The guy whose J-24 I have is a great sailor so he could pet purchase  inspect quite competently 

2011 Force Five for $1k on Ebay. Buy it now is $1,300 and it comes with a trolling motor! I'm a little perplexed on that last part but to each their own.

Force 5 with turbo!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WCB said:

2011 Force Five for $1k on Ebay. Buy it now is $1,300 and it comes with a trolling motor! I'm a little perplexed on that last part but to each their own.

Force 5 with turbo!

It’s a marksetbot starter kit

• Like 2

Sunfish...my uncle built one...way back...when could get kits...and the price is like even with St. Peter's nose... but that is me...

1 hour ago, BobBill said:

Sunfish...my uncle built one...way back...when could get kits...and the price is like even with St. Peter's nose... but that is me...

$1,750 is laughable. It should be $50.

On 5/8/2019 at 12:56 PM, WCB said:

$1,750 is laughable. It should be $50.

Well, when you consider the importance of the Sunfish, the provenance of this boat and the fact that I didn't know a wooden version existed, I'd say at least double what you said.

Former #18023 sailor, 52 years ago.

R, just for the aged wood, I was thinking 100$coots or so too, no trailer...nostalgial thinking. Asking price is rediculousness! But...

I'm all for what the market will bear but there's no provenance for an old sunfish.  

The owner should take it to the Antiques road show .. or maybe a Christie's auction?  The bidding starts at $1750

Looks like it might make a decent "swill-deck," in some club or rec-room? Mahogany...

14 minutes ago, rcbrds said:

The owner should take it to the Antiques road show .. or maybe a Christie's auction?  The bidding starts at $1750

They may have better luck if they start at $0 with no reserve.

I won’t quibble about the person’s  Asking price. If somebody wants an old crappy wooden Sunfish, that number is probably fine.

If the boat were a well maintained piece of floating furniture that price wouid be like giving it away. 

in the condition shown,  I think the right price is  free or even, “If you promise to take over as steward, I will help pay the costs of fixing it up right.”

Cain't swill on an E-boat...much no denying the speed...now that Melonseed...

Thistles are hard on everything.

Thistles and Lightenings need to have masts stepped...for minimal storage, hard or wet.

As I recall, mast-tuning is the key for racers. No fun.

Back to Melonseed...has a certain charm.

Slice the 'fish up the middle and set sawhorses neath and lean?

6 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Nice to know that the sale area is finite and measurable: "Sale Area: Main: 228 sq. ft., Jib: 95 sq. Ft., Spinnaker 550 sq. Ft."

- Stumbling

8 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Why would he keep the sails?? I bet the guy would take a six pack 

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/ogunquit-pintail-14-sailboat/6873189329.html

maybe I was part of the group who built it!! ( or maybe I was in school) 

FAA42E83-AC3F-4B7F-8C1F-9D1EEFC9C578.jpeg

So someone else gets to play pin the tail on the pintail?

00U0U_jzykdDASty6_1200x900.jpg

"Damaged but complete mfg pintail 14 foot sailboat. Left out in the snow upside down and cracked the hull. Fiberglass repair. Sails are brand new/crisp white. Boat cleans up nice been sitting for two years. Free without the sails. no trailer."

- Stumbling

1 hour ago, stumblingthunder said:

So someone else gets to play pin the tail on the pintail?

00U0U_jzykdDASty6_1200x900.jpg

"Damaged but complete mfg pintail 14 foot sailboat. Left out in the snow upside down and cracked the hull. Fiberglass repair. Sails are brand new/crisp white. Boat cleans up nice been sitting for two years. Free without the sails. no trailer."

- Stumbling

I wonder if he used it for sledding down steep hills, then changed his mind.

The best use for this boat would be to drill holes in it, bury it at about where the waterline would be, fill it with nice dirt, and plant flowers in it.

FB- Doug