WCB

Craigslist Finds

Recommended Posts

On 6/28/2019 at 5:49 PM, Steve Clark said:

 

I bought it. It’s  in the shed in Warren RI waiting for the next opening in the work schedule.  Pretty sure about the date.  I’m trying to figure out how crazy to get. Certainly the biggest chore is going to be stripping the varnish out of the interior.  I think I need interns...

Funny to find two of these in Connecticut.  Your profile says North Carolina, but you say you are in Ct. huh.

SHC

 

I am in NC a few months of the year. The boat is in Collinsville Ct for now.  My interior is painted which I'll remove... heat gun and scraping.  Should not use chemical since they contain wax.  I think I will finish inside with linseed oil... with a little  varnish and thinner  added into it.  That will make for an easy recoat with never having to strip again... also that is they typical classic way of finish on interior.  With cracks you don't usually have to replace the entire board. Just drill hole on each end of crack and wood peg to keep cracks from going further.  It is an old boat and should somewhat reflect its age.  But, I think they are worth the effort of getting them sturdy and sailable since I've seen several listed in the 8-10k range.  They have much value over a lot of other boats with certainly the exception of a Herreshoff 12 1/2.  What is most desirable is the timeless wood look and the ease of trailering. I first saw one on Nantucket Island mid 90s  being trailered and just marvelled over its design and ability in shallow harbor waters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clark, you have the Penobscot? You a glutton, for... but looks marvelous...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like much work too. Wonder about these rigs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BobBill said:

Clark, you have the Penobscot? You a glutton, for... but looks marvelous...

Yep.

Envy!

That's one of the prettiest boats I've seen in a long time, would love to see one in person

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BobBill said:

Clark, you have the Penobscot? You a glutton, for... but looks marvelous...

“Penobscot?”  It’s an Ackroyd or LSSA14.

It may be an effort to act my age.

SHC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Steve Clark said:

“Penobscot?”  It’s an Ackroyd or LSSA14.

It may be an effort to act my age.

SHC

I act me age, avec a brew on the below and maybe an IC dinghy. Ackroyd...have to look that up. Love us back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot the pics...duh...before AM cafe...

GnarlyStreet05.1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flying Dutchman in Wisconsin. Looks to be in good shape for its age. $495 starting price on Ebay.

Best looking old glass FD I've seen

FD.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Except no kite sock or chute!? Look at pix, not so great condition, good price 'tho, waiting on sail or hull #.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is quite a zombie fleet of FD's in the US based on all of the old ones for sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a significant piece of history!

By my understanding (I'm currently reading Bethwaite's "High Performance Sailing", which has quite a bit about these boats in it), this would be an early model of what became the NS14 class, which is well established as the 2-up development class that spawned the Tasar, B14, Laser 2, 49er, 29er, many innovations on 18ft skiffs... and basically every high performance dinghy in use today.

I immediately noticed the sharp bow entry in the thumbnail and thought "that looks like a NS14, or... something in the family..."

Anyone in Sydney with some shed space?
 

I'd love to see the rig...

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/balmain-east/sail-boats/14ft-fglass-yacht-on-trailer-rare-classic/1221160412

@JulianB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

There is quite a zombie fleet of FD's in the US based on all of the old ones for sale.

Kinda how I was thinking...young swabs like swifties, and then grow out of them...but the FD's keep recycling...must be decent.

FD's are one boat this swab never got to sail (out of jillions) but always wanted to...like the Flying Fifteen (am ancient 110er) which always interested me, as do lots of others, including current rage the collegeate 420s and older AC boats like Scepter and the above Penobscot. I am such a sucker!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Looks like it has had a WD40 detail job

Sounds like a lady I once knew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 7:20 PM, Steve Clark said:

“Penobscot?”  It’s an Ackroyd or LSSA14.

It may be an effort to act my age.

SHC

Like so?...

I confuse some posts, sorry.

Both very classy woodies.

Picky work but so rewarding... 

Ackroid.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, OneGoat said:

Here's a significant piece of history!

By my understanding (I'm currently reading Bethwaite's "High Performance Sailing", which has quite a bit about these boats in it), this would be an early model of what became the NS14 class, which is well established as the 2-up development class that spawned the Tasar, B14, Laser 2, 49er, 29er, many innovations on 18ft skiffs... and basically every high performance dinghy in use today.

I immediately noticed the sharp bow entry in the thumbnail and thought "that looks like a NS14, or... something in the family..."

Anyone in Sydney with some shed space?
 

I'd love to see the rig...

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/balmain-east/sail-boats/14ft-fglass-yacht-on-trailer-rare-classic/1221160412

@JulianB

I see lots of Fox there. Uffa...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like a Nova, which was after the NS14 and before the Tasar.   My guess is its 72-3.

Not sure where the Uffa come's into it, I have his book on the shelf beside me.

Nothing in there looks like a NS/Nova.

Time line, we emigrated from NZ to AUS in 59, NS was 5 years latter, Nova was mid 70's.

If you have Dad's 1st book, fig 20.12 on page 254 is me sailing with dad, on Takino, which is a NS14 in Northbridge, heading to the Spit (where I was sailing today) circa late 60's to early 70's.   I'm a young teenager!

Mast is a ring-in, we all had "paddle-pop" sticks in those days, over-rotating, oregan with balsa fairings, very distinctive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JulianB said:

It looks like a Nova, which was after the NS14 and before the Tasar.   My guess is its 72-3.

Not sure where the Uffa come's into it, I have his book on the shelf beside me.

Nothing in there looks like a NS/Nova.

Time line, we emigrated from NZ to AUS in 59, NS was 5 years latter, Nova was mid 70's.

If you have Dad's 1st book, fig 20.12 on page 254 is me sailing with dad, on Takino, which is a NS14 in Northbridge, heading to the Spit (where I was sailing today) circa late 60's to early 70's.   I'm a young teenager!

Mast is a ring-in, we all had "paddle-pop" sticks in those days, over-rotating, oregan with balsa fairings, very distinctive.

 

Julian, Boat reminded me of Uffa Fox's designs, is all. He was known for "plumb" bows and good and fast planing hulls, as I recall. Mostly English market, but a few snuck around to Yanks and Aussies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like I've asked this question about this boat before.  Is this a Sidewinder?  Whoops...not a Sidewinder according to the google.

Asking $600 in Utah

thing.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to remember that what happens in the old country could take 20-30 years to filter down to the "colonies" in those days, and as was often the case, the idea's of the Antipodea's where routinely rejected as folly the other way around, until someone re badge it as their idea!

Most Oceania "skiffs" owe their origins in to Arch Logan (Auckland) he had planning boats at the turn of the century (good photo in dad's book, 1907) and even I remember the Patiki.    Dad's Idealong appears to have a plumb bow and that would have been 1935, I believe he won the nationals in it on Wanganui River just prior to joining the Airforce/WW2.

Not sure where Idealong's came from, but they where a old class in 1935, what "more mature" people sailed,    Dad was a wipper-snapper at 15-16.

If Uffa "borrow" some ideas from the Antipodes's and Arch borrow some ideas from well before Uffa, then that's all good fun and as it should be.

I sailed a fully restored IC of Uffa's in 1994, somewhere in Manchester from memory, he was a exceptional craftsman.

I hope that Dad, and latter, I am remember as well Arch and Uffa but I doubt it!

            jB

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JulianB very interesting comments. I'll have to take a look at your dad's book. For myself in the US (probably speak for many others), Uffa Fox is the person credited for the advent of modern planing dinghy design. Given the extreme boats you all sail in the Southern Hemisphere, it only makes sense that origins also start there also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

@JulianB very interesting comments. I'll have to take a look at your dad's book.

Highly recommended, although it's pretty heavy going at times (for context - I did an engineering degree in naval architecture, in Sydney, a lifetime ago... Frank's work that he writes about in HPS is what many of us hoped we would be studying, rather than container ship plating thickness calculations and the RoRo ferry damaged stability cases I ended up writing a thesis about...)

I've been really enjoying his history lessons, and churning slowly through the wind tunnel results.

Relevance to this thread - I bought my copy through a local Craigslist equivalent. Apologies to the heirs of Frank's estate who missed out on a new book royalty. And another for "High Performance Handling" which is coming in the mail this week 

I'm surprised by Julian's assessment that the boat I linked above is later than NS14. My dad bought an old butserviceable ply NS14 in the early 90s - I'd guess it was early 70s vintage. Understanding that Frank had moved on to new projects by then as the NS14 class was well established, but our NS looked like a much more modern vessel than the one in the ad. Decked cockpit and open transom, for starters - was he back building bathtub boats with solid timber coamings in the 70s?!

Still, the vertical bow, sharp forward chines and big planing surface aft really says "NS14" to me. Interesting if Fox developed similar ideas independently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WCB said:

I feel like I've asked this question about this boat before.  Is this a Sidewinder?  Whoops...not a Sidewinder according to the google.

Asking $600 in Utah

thing.jpg

That is a Laguna Speedball 14. 

For some reason fairly common around the Northwest and Canada. I've owned 2 and kind of wished I'd kept the last one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the photo I am referring to is in HPS2, page 22, Fig 1.16 and if it's not planning, then I have no idea what is!!!!!!!!

Somewhere up in my roof, there is a book given to Dad by some crazy Kiwi, with 100's of these photo's going back into the 1800's.

These guys where truly mad!

Some of the concepts are relevant to day, it's really quite extraordinary. 

And guys, the NYC sandbaggers, there was amazing stuff coming out of Canada in the late 1800's.    I have a great time every 6 month doing dinner with my mate, Philip Balum from South Africa, for his sins he is now Pres of SAY and sits on council at WS, they where mad also, and of-course, can't forget the Argentinians.   

Just so there is no miss-understanding I use the words "mad" here as a compliment.   

One-goat, your better than me, I spent one semester doing platting at Syd Ui and went off and did Industrial Design, with Gough in power, it was far more interesting, especially the art college where we did ID until Ian Bruce dragged me to Canada.

I believe it's a Nova because the foredeck extends back beyond the mast bulkhead, so as to be able to sheet the bigger jib, that's about the only difference between it and a NS.

Also its pretty obviously a FRP hull, they only started in early 70's,   Takino was all ply, and it was 70-71.

Here is a very bad photo of the photo in dad's book, if that's not planning, then what is!?

Sorry for the bad quality but it wont let me up-load anything bigger

 

 

 image.thumb.png.bd964401228b78d00907fe287af83de7.png

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found the book, Arch Logan was born in Greennock Scotland in 1865, emigrated to NZ in 1874.

His hey day was about the time Uffa was born, late 1800 to early 1900.

Anyway, lots and lots of amazing people, I'm not going to get into he said, she said.

They are all extraordinary!

 

The book, BTW, Emmy, by Robin Elliot, ISBN is 0 473 02195 1

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Julian, +1...

Yes, "all extraordinary," even one of my old faves Rod MacAlpine-Downey...all went big, never to sleep in the streets...! Thankfully.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, wannabefd said:

That is a Laguna Speedball 14. 

For some reason fairly common around the Northwest and Canada. I've owned 2 and kind of wished I'd kept the last one. 

Thanks @wannabefd they look like cool boats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All is (sadly) relative. All but a few are "kewl" boats, to me...but I grow too-soon old and slow and too-late schmart."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks a beauty...am already committed...dang...!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tripped over this NS14/MG14 in Ohio. Kinda looks like a fun one. Quite the hatch in the foredeck. At first glance I thought it was a 505 then I noticed the plumb bow.

NS14 in Ohio

NS14.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know anything about this boat? Thanks

3D4D7CDF-C725-4736-B40B-D42FC233210D.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Does anyone know anything about this boat? Thanks

3D4D7CDF-C725-4736-B40B-D42FC233210D.png

The X4 was a French laser clone. Maybe commissioned by the Federation Francaise de Voile. They were quite common in sailing schools. The main difference, with the laser was the shape of the cockpit, with the sharp edges replaced by a more comfortable shape. And the boat's poor construction often led to delimitation, which made it quite comfortable and  form fitting...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In May, I picked up a 1981 Albacore with trailer and three sets of sails for $350.  It required some fiberglass repair where the seats attached to the hull and the gel coat on the deck was so faded you could see the glass fibers.  Otherwise it was functional.  Photos from when I bought it and after a few weekends of maintenance.

00M0M_gGrXn5uzdeS_1200x900.jpg

20190623_201559.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a beauty...one of the best classics. Am green... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My laser I picked up off Craig's a couple weeks ago.  $150 including the trailer, lol.   Decks feel pretty soft so I named her Serta... All I added was a couple little blocks and new lines for the vang and outhaul.  Had her out on the lake for a good few hours this weekend and surprisingly she didn't leak a drop when I pulled the drain plug after I got home. Still needs a good cleaning though, the lake didn't wash off much if any. Bah...

Tried to upload a pic but it gave me an error.  You all can imagine a dirty, faded robin's egg blue laser hull on a crusty looking little trailer anyway, lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, asym-pathetic said:

Might be worth going to look at. I didn't see a rudder or daggerboard or 90% of the rigging fittings. The sails are probably toast anyway so "small hole in mainsail" isn't a big worry IMHO.

These days, a boat in anything less than pristine sailing condition is a give-away. You can sell the trailer it comes on.

FB- Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WCB said:

That's awesome...next time our program needs another safety motorboat, I'll throw an outboard on one of our old lasers.

Why waste the Laser? If you want to kill someone just tie the motor to the person’s  Ankle and throw both overboard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Why waste the Laser? If you want to kill someone just tie the motor to the person’s  Ankle and throw both overboard. 

I was just kidding Gouv...just kidding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WCB said:

I was just kidding Gouv...just kidding

So was I. Why waste the motor?? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 11:33 PM, Gouvernail said:

Damn!! I may need clean shirts!!  I am in love!! 

 

B9A1BFF7-A9B2-4517-A8EF-114824C1782F.jpeg

What is this?  The next boat is a highlander and how is that connected?  Unless this is claimed to be a Thistle??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 2:17 AM, BobBill said:

Like so?...

I confuse some posts, sorry.

Both very classy woodies.

Picky work but so rewarding... 

Ackroid.jpeg

Except the deck is not original to the boat.  They were always planked under the canvas not plywood. Overall the boat is pretty. They get a good buck for these once cleaned up and setup as they originally were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just came across this on Craigslist  00v0v_hCKHDHst2L7_1200x900.jpg 

 

Unfortunately the Post has been removed because I just purchased this 1957 Thistle for $600. on its 1957 Gator trailer.  Dry storage and not sailed for the past 40 years. It looked better than the pictures have it seem.  No Rot or blackened areas! Notice the lines. They were designed by Sandy Douglas  who befriended Uffa Fox, You can certainly see the similarities to Uffers International 14s.   But Uffa Fox was influenced by the LSSA 14 designs which were technically an international one design as raced between Canada and USA in the Saint Lawrence and the Great lakes.  The Rochester Yacht club purchased Ackroyd 14s sometime around late 1920s.  The LSSA 14s primarily were built by Ackroyd (6000+ boats?) although early on their were other builders.  If not for the British entrance into the competition in the 1930s the design would have stayed with its enclosed deck as per LSSA design.  The English even disallowed the use of a Fox innovated  trapeze and only recently was allowed for usage on the 14s.  Fox is credited with Planing boat design Yet the LSSA14s did Plane on designs created at  the turn of the century  a good 20-30 years  before Uffa. 

 

 

 

 

00v0v_jafmVX38JFA_1200x900.jpg

00a0a_nu4ojt3Nj7_1200x900.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Seadrus said:

Just came across this on Craigslist  00v0v_hCKHDHst2L7_1200x900.jpg 

 

Unfortunately the Post has been removed because I just purchased this 1957 Thistle for $600. on its 1957 Gator trailer.  Dry storage and not sailed for the past 40 years. It looked better than the pictures have it seem.  No Rot or blackened areas! Notice the lines. They were designed by Sandy Douglas  who befriended Uffa Fox, You can certainly see the similarities to Uffers International 14s.   But Uffa Fox was influenced by the LSSA 14 designs which were technically an international one design as raced between Canada and USA in the Saint Lawrence and the Great lakes.  The Rochester Yacht club purchased Ackroyd 14s sometime around late 1920s.  The LSSA 14s primarily were built by Ackroyd (6000+ boats?) although early on their were other builders.  If not for the British entrance into the competition in the 1930s the design would have stayed with its enclosed deck as per LSSA design.  The English even disallowed the use of a Fox innovated  trapeze and only recently was allowed for usage on the 14s.  Fox is credited with Planing boat design Yet the LSSA14s did Plane on designs created at  the turn of the century  a good 20-30 years  before Uffa. 

 

 

 

 

00v0v_jafmVX38JFA_1200x900.jpg

00a0a_nu4ojt3Nj7_1200x900.jpg

On This subject ;  Look at and read about this "Grey Wolf" . Scroll down and enter "More".  Probably the fastest boat under sale.  Note hull design.  http://www.rodgermartindesign.com/portfolio/gray-wolf/?fbclid=IwAR30z-DKxxofh3nRc-Yl-j1HBGiHeyscvSUHx5FDu0grB-gQ9u8lMOuuC4U

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Seadrus said:

What is this?  The next boat is a highlander and how is that connected?  Unless this is claimed to be a Thistle??

That was a really nice wooden Highlander (it was being compared with the glass Highlander in the next post down).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

That was a really nice wooden Highlander (it was being compared with the glass Highlander in the next post down).

OK, got it!  I could see the Douglass & Mcloed handprint on it but knew it not to be a Thistle.  I have to say I did not know the Highlander was built by them in Wood since they prior to its design switched over to Fiberglass.  All I have seen, by them are fiberglass Highlanders which I really don't care for the look of.  But, that Woodie sure looks sweet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be an Anchor Sailboats Teal but I think the bow looks too vertical so I am not sure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are tons Albacores in Mid-Atlantic, and it looks like one to me. Seems like there is some slight variations in foredeck shape, think some are straight across at cockpit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

And if that boxed UFO in Missoula is gone, here's another boxed UFO near Spokane, WA for $7,000.

@Dave Clark what's the story on these?

https://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/d/hayden-ufo-foiler-sailboat/6953423242.html

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 12.00.47 PM.png

it's possible they posted the same ad in multiple metropolitan areas and forgot to delete one of them when the boat sold...... looks like the same boat judging by the ground and the object behind the box at rear end of the boat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dgmckim said:

it's possible they posted the same ad in multiple metropolitan areas and forgot to delete one of them when the boat sold...... looks like the same boat judging by the ground and the object behind the box at rear end of the boat

Different physical locations (Missoula, MT and Hayden, ID) and different posting dates and different descriptions. Regardless, If someone were looking for a UFO, seems that either price is a good deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Different physical locations (Missoula, MT and Hayden, ID) and different posting dates and different descriptions. Regardless, If someone were looking for a UFO, seems that either price is a good deal. 

It's the same boat. The guy in Hayden, ID is a small boat dealer who said he bought the boat in Missoula. If it's still posted in Missoula, I think he's just trying to get in the middle for $1,000 without taking ownership of the boat in advance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 9:35 AM, bartman99 said:

Anyone know what this is? Maybe an Albacore? There are no markings, plates or HINs on the boat.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/509974983088415/

67708601_2332171606995406_69112917215150080_n.jpg

 

IMHO an ALbacore, although it could possibly an old and perhaps slightly misshapen Jet 14. There was another similar boat called a C-Lark but I think it did not have so much deadrise at the transom and had a deck/liner with raised cockpit sole.

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dgmckim said:

it's possible they posted the same ad in multiple metropolitan areas and forgot to delete one of them when the boat sold...... looks like the same boat judging by the ground and the object behind the box at rear end of the boat

I remember reading about this operation a while ago. http://funtosail.com/

Click on the UFO tab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guy in Missoula put his body out of commission mountain biking or some such thing shortly before he planned to get up and running. I don't quite recall the specifics. Guy to the West of him is not yet formally signed on as a dealer but keen as hell and doing everything in his power to get in on the game before anything is even inked. To be honest, I'm a sucker for irrepressible enthusiasm, so I'm impressed.

DRC 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dave Clark said:

Guy in Missoula put his body out of commission mountain biking or some such thing shortly before he planned to get up and running. I don't quite recall the specifics. Guy to the West of him is not yet formally signed on as a dealer but keen as hell and doing everything in his power to get in on the game before anything is even inked. To be honest, I'm a sucker for irrepressible enthusiasm, so I'm impressed.

DRC 

Good news is that the UFO in Missoula is coming to Park City now.  Couldn't be more stoked.  It should hopefully be the start we needed for a UFO fleet here.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WCB said:

Good news is that the UFO in Missoula is coming to Park City now.  Couldn't be more stoked.  It should hopefully be the start we needed for a UFO fleet here.

Rumor has it there is a big fleet in Nevada. Something like 51 boats.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

Rumor has it there is a big fleet in Nevada. Something like 51 boats.

Aren't they hosting a regatta later in September?  Access to the lake from five different sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WCB said:

Aren't they hosting a regatta later in September?  Access to the lake from five different sides.

I’m already registered. Best regatta in the area. Some of the local sailors are out of this world.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just on that page and didn't notice it...never heard of a Franklin before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there ever was a Franklin 505.  From the pictures, I am thinking either a Parker or Rondar.  A picture of the transom would help solve the puzzle, as well as the launcher.  I had a 1968 Parker (US3194) and a 1973 (or maybe 74?) Parker (US4857) as well.  The silver anodized Proctor mast makes me think (if it is original to the boat) that the boat may be 1973 or later.  Proctor's earlier masts were gold anodized.  If it is complete, it would be a fine lake boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice rig...will never leave your soul; can almost feel the attachement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dieharddinghysailor said:

Here's my beautiful I-14, reluctantly for sale......in Washington - Whidbey Island

Michael Scott

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/freeland-classic-1989-international-14/6982783658.html

Cool boat.  It’s simple like a 14 from Uffa Fox’s time as far as running rigging goes.  That boat should make someone very happy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eliboat +1. I had missed the rig particulars...now I see it is much like the 14 we used to run...how you manage it alone is amazing.

Back when we did it, always took two to sail...even in drifters. We quit about the time Walker sawed one up and restiched it and when14s began to become sting-pullers...too much for us, so went back to simple...my keeler 110. Lovely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BobBill said:

Eliboat +1. I had missed the rig particulars...now I see it is much like the 14 we used to run...how you manage it alone is amazing.

Back when we did it, always took two to sail...even in drifters. We quit about the time Walker sawed one up and restiched it and when14s began to become sting-pullers...too much for us, so went back to simple...my keeler 110. Lovely.

Hah well, a 110 can certainly hold its own as a string puller depending on your setup.  Our 110 has lots of string to pull, especially with our non-class setup sporting the square top main, masthead Asail and sometimes the blade jib.   Whatever way you go, the 110 is a sublime machine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eli, I got flushed by the org for having added a trap, and replacing snubber with two Harken hexes.

Back in the day...had jib, main and traveler stings. Never like to used the spinnaker. Here is a pic of simple layout.110_14SA.jpg.4d4f423de2435e264f6ae0181edcf02a.jpg110_19.jpg.f9d1fa4bfb51fa8f371b54c5bec35fa7.jpg

110_8.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, the Harken cheeks let me sail single-handed in any breeze. Sucker was a fast keeler without a tramp. Ran usually with orig main and 125 Dacron...cannot recall loft (Bainbridge?). 

One day, the boom snapped (bottom pic) where dark wood met the ligher spruce. Epoxy and some glass, better than original.

Still going that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites