WCB

Craigslist Finds

That may be the EC winner in that ad. 

Edit- new page no context post

5 minutes ago, Dex Sawash said:

That may be the EC winner in that ad. 

Edit- new page no context post

With that rig, get a square top with vertical battens. You can still furl it.

4 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

@bluelaser2 has done that and added a lot of sail area. He's in Ohio I think.

Leeward Expedition 14.5.JPG

1 hour ago, Dex Sawash said:

That's what it is, L2 with Hoyt SmartRig.  I've got one. Made by Escape sailboats for 1 or 2 years about 1991. One of them won the first Everglades Challenge so maybe at least that one has lived up to its name anyway.

Very nice on a reach and planes easily. Does some odd things downwind in big breeze, the rig is sort of self-vanging with the fixed Hoyt Jib boom. Sails upwind better than you would think with no roach or battens. Mast base is a big furling bearing so you just roll the sail away. Sails ok when roller-reefed esp on the tack that gets the sail on leeward side of mast. Been meaning to add a mast rotator to tweak that to work on both tacks with full sail out.

The first thing that I thought of when I saw that was how it would be perfect for the everglades challenge...glad that I wasn't disappointed.

where do yo

39 minutes ago, WCB said:

The first thing that I thought of when I saw that was how it would be perfect for the everglades challenge...glad that I wasn't disappointed.

Where do you sleep on a boat that small? Unless with  the EC you sleep on land, I'm can"t remember

1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

where do yo

Where do you sleep on a boat that small? Unless with  the EC you sleep on land, I'm can"t remember

Sleep? It's all done pretty close to land so if rest is needed, you camp next to the boat I believe.

1 hour ago, WCB said:
3 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

where do yo

Sleep? It's all done pretty close to land so if rest is needed, you camp next to the boat I believe.

Bring along one of those small self-inflate camp mats, all you need to do is not wake up with a crippled spine. If you're tired enough, you can sleep anywhere.

I've lived in Florida, I would not camp on a Florida beach, either in the swamp or near a big city, for a million bucks.

Nice boat, though... could be a great machine

FB- Doug

Corpus Cristi? Won't go to Texas under any circumstance. They all come here half the year.

it is what it has always been. Bullroar hype...IMO!!! My green mistake!!!pure marketing hype...kept it for a month and dumped.

P7180003.JPG

15 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I think the term is less a furl or stow but akin what some outriggers and most shunters (proas) do called brailing. Sail is not taken down but kept coiled on its spar, 

My sort of Malibu Outrigger build is not brailed, but a drop-sail due design. Sail is large (300_), so is wetted astern as spars are longer than hul...have yet to rig jack lines and both are PIA.. 

3 hours ago, timber said:

Corpus Cristi? Won't go to Texas under any circumstance. They all come here half the year.

That is funny...what wife says...I used to like TX (gulf beach areas and water) before oil and vulgars took them over. Some o them dodgers must feel same.

TX does have better taxes and lower COS...and most. IMO, Texans do not have nose in St. Pete's butt, despite far rightness hype and no pot...never could reconcile wonderful Molly Ivins with the damnable TX neocon politics.

23 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Raider II near Memphis, TN for $5000. This boat is occasionally recommended on various threads here so now is your chance!

https://memphis.craigslist.org/boa/d/brunswick-raider-ii/7104388108.html

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 8.47.06 AM.png

Hmmm. I sold this boat to the now owner about a year ago.

This boat never lost a race when I owned it from new. Won the 2018 Mug Race handicap by 25 minutes over the next boat after 7 hours of sailing up the St. Johns river. (Yes, there were other Raiders racing among the 80 boats entered.) Won the Tennessee Valley Club Challenge dinghy fleet. 

Really enjoyed the boat. I just got old. Now, if I were to win the lottery or something I'd get OH Rogers to install foils out the sides and on the rudder. Perfect hull for it.

Dave Ellis

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fasterdamnit! said:

Now there is a good looking boat...and this one looks very nice...must check...and deal with my afflictions...

A. Everything I eat turns to poop

B. And the nice boats are always a world away...so I ride my outrigger and swill, with a smile.

That, My friend is a Folbot! Canvas skinned, fold-able, wood framed Kayak for two. Proudly made in Charleston SC. Well, used to be...

00Q0Q_653ZLOgPHpL_600x450.jpg

20 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

And the infamous Sidewinder:) https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/d/verona-mfg-sidewinder-sailboat/7108862215.html

Seems overpriced ,and I hate that yellow deck.

No

Just NO!

The best use for these boats is to sled them down a steep hill, one way. Preferably into a bottomless canyon from which they will never emerge during this age of man.

The only reason to buy one of these is that it's on a good trailer for much cheaper than the trailer would be on it's own, and you can charge your friends $5 to smack it with a sledgehammer. And you live in a town with a free dump.

FB- Doug

12 hours ago, Fasterdamnit! said:

How about this Hot Rod?

Lindsay 5o5. $3500. Emerald Isle NC

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/emerald-isle-international-505-aka-int/7113626423.html

00909_dwTx0Sbzoqq_600x450.jpg00l0l_aRcSGATgQSO_600x450.jpg

Carbon double poles and launcher conversion, this boat is good...nice price.  Isn't that Kivney's old boat, @Carbon

Yes-Tommy's old boat Katie Bear.

On 4/22/2020 at 1:48 PM, WCB said:

I think that this is the one my brother has been lusting after for years...

Yes, that is correct.  I visited that boat in 2016 and have wanted to buy it since.  It needs a lot more work than what is evident in the pictures and the owner didn't want to budge on the price - which is why I didn't buy it.  I might give him a call to see if he would compromise some.  I'd love to fix her up but keep her fairly original (i.e. no sex change as we say in the 505 class). 

Tom

7 hours ago, WCB said:

Carbon double poles and launcher conversion, this boat is good...nice price.  Isn't that Kivney's old boat, @Carbon

Yep.  It sure is!  Boy, she has made it far down the coast!  Last I knew Clayton James had her and was completely overhauling her.  I guess he had enough of 505 work and sold her once he was done...

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 12:49 PM, Alan Crawford said:

An interesting wooden dinghy (add says built in 1920) in Saratoga Springs, New York.

What is this boat? It's in the part of the country where I-14's / predecessors of I-14's were built and sailed.

https://albany.craigslist.org/boa/d/saratoga-springs-sailboat-1920/7100229029.html

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 10.46.33 AM.png

This is not an LSSA14 also known as an Ackroyd.  

The Lake Skiff Rules required that the boats were clinker ( or lapstrake) construction.

It isn’t clear from the photos how sick this puppy is.

SHC

1 hour ago, LTFF said:

I think I found a good use for my stimulus check...

That boat is a two owner boat. The first owner had it from new, I think he even built it while working for Lindsay, and then sold it a few years ago when he finally bought a new Rondar. Great boat. If I didn't have Waterat 7772 then I'd be all over that boat.  I'm just happy that when my older boy saw these two pictures of the 505 he said, "whoa that is really cool".  I told him we had one under the deck so I think I'm in good shape with that boy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WCB said:

That boat is a two owner boat. The first owner had it from new, I think he even built it while working for Lindsay, and then sold it a few years ago when he finally bought a new Rondar. Great boat. If I didn't have Waterat 7772 then I'd be all over that boat.  I'm just happy that when my older boy saw these two pictures of the 505 he said, "whoa that is really cool".  I told him we had one under the deck so I think I'm in good shape with that boy.

I've logged many miles on the trapeze of that boat.  She's a good boat.  A bit heavy but she still moves well. 

15 hours ago, Steve Clark said:

This is not an LSSA14 also known as an Ackroyd.  

The Lake Skiff Rules required that the boats were clinker ( or lapstrake) construction.

It isn’t clear from the photos how sick this puppy is.

SHC

Yes. I contacted the owner who reported the boat to be 16 feet long. Built in Pennsylvania. No info on the type or condition. Probably a lot of hidden surprises.

4 minutes ago, Schnappi said:

from the seller "The rig is in great shape, stored inside; original wooden mast, stainless steel rigging. lots of original bronze hardware including bronze winches."  I guess, if you are in the neighborhood and need some extras for your 110 project, then its worth a trip to pick up and haul away to get the rigging.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WCB said:

Some how I doubt that it was redone in the early 2000s, seems too far gone to be that recently repaired.

I'm going to wait for your 110 kit. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Grestone said:

from the seller "The rig is in great shape, stored inside; original wooden mast, stainless steel rigging. lots of original bronze hardware including bronze winches."  I guess, if you are in the neighborhood and need some extras for your 110 project, then its worth a trip to pick up and haul away to get the rigging.

Sad!   I just hauled my 110 to the new house this evening as it happens.  The boat in that picture was never active in New England in the early 2000s, certainly no boats with wood spars and bronze hardware beyond a few items here and there would have been racing.  The original hardware does have some value as it would be really nice old Merriman gear.  

110_8.jpg.d8d7d9a02f64c50d60f3f5fa23827ed6.jpgHaving done one I 110 rebuild, my first boat, I must say, sadly, the best tool for this hull is a saw. Now the mast and the origianl bronze hardware should be of some value to any fleet/club...I do abide by the rules, and will nogt contact this owner...even as I covet the bronze snubber he says he has...

Here is pic of my work with the snubber replaced with a single dual Clam cleat on the bridge deck, two Harkens and Hexes, which eased jib sheet handling, expecially when single handling the boat in pressure. I might add the Class condemned the Hezes and the later trapeze...and subsequently adobted all.. I cancelled my sub to Brigde Deck, severing all ties to the snobs in Saginaw Bay at the time, and still hold them in contempt.

110_1.thumb.jpg.561df79dc84f2f4d8a00beb22eb4d579.jpg.  

• Like 1

I should add that the dryrot sppears out of control and impossible to repair, withougt possibly reddoing the frames and the oak keelson frames...an awsome undertaking, in many respects, even if boat is free...ten there is the trailer...Murphu's la simple raiding keel is likely to be approve which would change this boat's likability, to say the least.

Back to the Lindsay 5oh. Can someone please expalin thei statement from the ad:

"jibing High Aspect Ratio Centerboard (Note about 1-2 inch max of water will enter the boat when it sits in the water and is not moving at all, which is common for jibe / tilt control centerboards. Boat has 3 Anderson self bailers that start suction for a 100% dry boat at 2-3kts"

Why is this common for jibing boards? Doesn't it have a normal CB case? Looks normal to me..

8 hours ago, Dart96 said:

Back to the Lindsay 5oh. Can someone please expalin thei statement from the ad:

"jibing High Aspect Ratio Centerboard (Note about 1-2 inch max of water will enter the boat when it sits in the water and is not moving at all, which is common for jibe / tilt control centerboards. Boat has 3 Anderson self bailers that start suction for a 100% dry boat at 2-3kts"

Why is this common for jibing boards? Doesn't it have a normal CB case? Looks normal to me..

Hmm... I don't think it's common for a jibing or gybing board to let water into the boat. Maybe because the pivot bolt gasket is old & hardened, or the bolt is too loose, or it's just badly configured? I don't have a lot of experience with 5O5s so maybe they're different, but of the 5-ohs I've had experience I think they both had gybers (one did, I know) and neither let water in.

It's a lot more common for suction bailers to let water in, in fact, I'd say that's nearly universal

FB- Doug

9 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

If I was anywhere near there, I'd snap that up in a heartbeat.  It's a newer one, with fiberglass foils.

I agree. If i didn't have the Windmill, it would be headed to the lake...

11 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

If I was anywhere near there, I'd snap that up in a heartbeat.  It's a newer one, with fiberglass foils.

Dig that. Most likely the transom is fine...but one never knows. Am seriously, debating a trip...but have a nice rig and also thinking about an ungainly IC (Interclub) I found that is very nice and not at far from MN.  Appears a worthy boat.

7 hours ago, Fasterdamnit! said:
8 hours ago, valcour said:

FF9EDA7E-A924-4A04-B489-651F8BC659B8.jpeg

Wow! She's a beauty!!

"Like" button is not enough.... need a "Love" button

FB- Doug

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BobBill said:

Dig that. Most likely the transom is fine...but one never knows. Am seriously, debating a trip...but have a nice rig and also thinking about an ungainly IC (Interclub) I found that is very nice and not at far from MN.  Appears a worthy boat. 

I mean, I already *have* a Banshee, but two is better, right?  Right?

• Like 1

Right right tight...just do not start a fleet, paperwork is a PIA,,,like boats. Sailing on another's boat is most fun...even when yours is loaded with new designs or experiments..., Maybe give the dodger-sellling a call and feel out condition of transom, on the yellow spook-bird (Banshee)?

Never hurts to have back up,  do it.....??????

14 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Hmm... I don't think it's common for a jibing or gybing board to let water into the boat. Maybe because the pivot bolt gasket is old & hardened, or the bolt is too loose, or it's just badly configured? I don't have a lot of experience with 5O5s so maybe they're different, but of the 5-ohs I've had experience I think they both had gybers (one did, I know) and neither let water in.

It's a lot more common for suction bailers to let water in, in fact, I'd say that's nearly universal

FB- Doug

It is a conventional rectangular centerboard trunk.  It's completely normal for some water to enter the trunk as well.  The board has a profile that causes it to gybe from one tack to another to help pointing ability.  A little bit of rake will neutralize the jibing - which is important for higher winds and downwind sailing.

16 minutes ago, Carbon said:

It is a conventional rectangular centerboard trunk.  It's completely normal for some water to enter the trunk as well.  The board has a profile that causes it to gybe from one tack to another to help pointing ability.  A little bit of rake will neutralize the jibing - which is important for higher winds and downwind sailing.

I bet the centerboard slot gaskets are just tired and they didn't realize that they should be replaced...

Mine doesn't let any water in till we are going really fast, then its a fire hose. Some boards stop gybing when lifted past a certain point, others need a gype stopper.

I don't think the gybing has anything to do with water ingress from the trunk.  

10 hours ago, Fasterdamnit! said:

How about sailing in style?

01212_8N76dDPkcF6_600x450.jpgWidgeon.  Looks bristol. Charleston SC. $500

https://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/d/mount-pleasant-12-oday-widgeon-sailboat/7116853216.html

Faster, forgot about Wideions...always liked them....sort of coycat ICs to me. Remember I live in cold place, trouble is hard to get back aboard if knocked down....Banshee's easier boarding but wetter sail

Highlander l;ooks decent...know nada...beats the other Douglas boats to me..

The first thought on the other one was "Advance FJ" but just a guess, hull and trailer and that is it...not my cuppa!!!

Jet 14 woodie in Florida.  Looks like a cool boat.  I just realized that they're only asking $200 for it!  Covers, trailer...somebody grab it.

Jet 14 woodie steal of the day!

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 2.30.07 PM.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WCB said:

Jet 14 woodie in Florida.  Looks like a cool boat.  I just realized that they're only asking $200 for it!  Covers, trailer...somebody grab it.

Jet 14 woodie steal of the day!

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 2.30.07 PM.png

Wow, what a steal!  Why does it seem all the steals and nice boats are too far away for me to pickup? Oh well

17 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Wow, what a steal!  Why does it seem all the steals and nice boats are too far away for me to pickup? Oh well

Jet 14? Pass

Couple of years ago, a friend in our neighborhood got a free one; he thought it had all the rigging and hardware but as we rebuilt and reassembled it... needed new sails but that would have been way more money than he was willing to spend, and wisely IMHO... the sailing camp 420 whipped the snot out of it, balanced better, more ergonomic, wider range of wind sail-able (with new sails it probably isn't a total dog in light air, but with old blown-out ones, it is a dead pig), total PITA if swamped or capsized.... in short, all the fucked-up-ness of those 1950s clunkers we had to sail when I was young, with none of the coolness. Get an old I-14 instead.

Now, that Highlander looks like the thing. Those are the cream of the old 1950s era boats. A lot faster than it looks, and an ocean liner for room. I camp-cruised in one a few times with an astonishing load of gear, toys, dogs, girlfriends, etc etc.

FB- Doug

21 minutes ago, Doug Halsey said:

You mean like this?

1965_MiamiSunshineRegatta_MothStates_The_Miami_News_Sun__Jan_17__1965_MothPhotoOnly.jpg

What is the boat behind the Jet?

8 minutes ago, Dex Sawash said:

What is the boat behind the Jet?

That's a Moth. It used to be common (& legal) for the lighter skippers to take a crew in windy races.

I'm not sure, but I think it might be one of Lewis Twitchell's older boats. (Twitchell was a multi-time Moth champ in the 40's, 50's & 60's).

1950_MiamiMidwinterRegatta_The_Miami_Herald_Mon__Mar_27__1950_LewisTwitchellPhoto.jpg

3 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:
1 hour ago, Doug Halsey said:

1965_MiamiSunshineRegatta_MothStates_The_Miami_News_Sun__Jan_17__1965_MothPhotoOnly.jpg

I guess I am not so interested any more...

I'm REALLY curious how the crew got his head stuck under the coaming. That looks potentially dangerous.

That Jet 14 looks like it's a bit better than my friends, which almost sank totally because the flotation was oddly distributed and minimal. That's correctable... hell almost anything is fixable...

There used to be big classes of Jet 14s around. I actually raced one with a spinnaker for a while, as a skinny kid. But this is the kind of boat I think of when kids nowadays complain about 420s. Well, Turnabouts and Sneakboxes and a few others, too.

You don't know how good you got it, kids!

Thanks for the newspaper print, that was really cool. Sports coverage ain't what it used to be

FB- Doug

The JY9 listed above is a nice little sailing tender.   We had one for a few years when our kids were little.  it rows well and sails well, it does both far better than an Optimist.   They loved using it while we were at anchor in the big boat.  Not much weight carrying capacity though, so eventually we sold it for a better purpose built dinghy for our big boat.  I think we bought and sold our boat for around $1000, maybe $1200, so that price isn't ridiculous, as it includes a trailer.   This one on CL looks filthy, but if it is all there and in good shape, could make a good sailing dinghy for someone.

2 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

and a Kosar(? )Flying Dutchmen https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/3246

1968 Sacramento Kosar located in California for sale

It most be a smaller version or something, because its listed as only 16 ft LOA and I thought the FD was 20ft LOA

That's because it's not an FD

It's a Korsar

korsar_drawing.jpg

SailboatData for more info

Love wood, but 3K for X is way high. Maybe good if glass and trailer...

These old kid's bouts are still unsung...they are wonderful rigs..

42 minutes ago, BobBill said:

Love wood, but 3K for X is way high. Maybe good if glass and trailer...

These old kid's bouts are still unsung...they are wonderful rigs..

Looks like glass hull, wood spars.

00202_kigxNp6zbrF_1200x900.jpg

By the way, does anyone now how to search all of craigslist at once? in other words I  want to view all of the sailboats in craigslist with one search.

1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

By the way, does anyone now how to search all of craigslist at once? in other words I  want to view all of the sailboats in craigslist with one search.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=search+all+of+craigslist

Really, there isn't a site that doesn't it well since craigslist is inherently set up as a local search engine. This one is okay though: https://www.searchtempest.com/ 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grestone said:

Really, there isn't a site that doesn't it well since craigslist is inherently set up as a local search engine. This one is okay though: https://www.searchtempest.com/ 

Grestone has the answer.  Searchtempest is really good.  It searches more than just craigslist and will show ebay and other options at the bottom but the majority is craigslist.  I've found boats all over the country using it.  

14 hours ago, Grestone said:

Thanks for the links, I will try them out.

Ya hotta love it! spy it and buy it. I drove to SoCa for a rig once and ended up getting for free,

Was Last Kite Dinghy made....I upcraded...and improved.a bit. was last seen in Denver area.