WCB

Craigslist Finds

7 minutes ago, WCB said:

In case any of you FD fanatics miss this new thread.  Not me, copied and pasted from the other thread.

I have a 1960 Bob Hoar Flying Dutchman project boat with trailer. Also have mast, sails, rudder and most hardware.

It all goes FREE to anyone who will restore her.

I bought the boat in Ohio and it was a show stopper with beautiful ribbon cut mahogany veneers on the deck and a shiny varnished hull. I got busy with my job and family plus added a few pounds and the boat fell into disuse. The kids damaged the deck ( hole) and I started to do a restore by sanding the deck but ran out of time.

The boat has a tailored cover and has been under a shed roof but the varnish is broken down and wood is dry and exposed in spots.

We will be selling our house soon and I must dispose of the boat and trailer ASAP or take her to the boneyard.

I am in Raleigh NC

Any takers email me at jeffnmette@aol.com or call 919-426-8410

I don't have enough indoor storage but could pick up and hold this for someone in Durham for a few weeks/months.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

I don't have enough indoor storage but could pick up and hold this for someone in Durham for a few weeks/months.

Do it!  Better than losing it to the junkyard

neither is going to the junkyard :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dgmckim said:

neither is going to the junkyard :D

You grabbed the Thistle and FD?

Someone got the FD, talked to the guy, he has another for sale $1000 plastrend

5 hours ago, ortegakid said:

Someone got the FD, talked to the guy, he has another for sale $1000 plastrend

Look two posts above yours...I think you have your answer.

11 hours ago, Fasterdamnit! said:

yeah, I hope someone buys is so i don't have to take on another project :)

FD is going to dumpster this weekend, some one save it. It is a 1960 Hoare, us olympic trial boat, hull # 136, comes with extra sails, cb's, rudder's, etc. Needs redecking and other wood work, too much for me. Can supply pix if wanted.

A nice looking homemade sailboat for $300https://erie.craigslist.org/boa/d/erie-homemade-sailboat-rowboat/7123581894.html

Seems like it is in too good contition for the price.

Albacore https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/80107

a Radier Sport, whatever that is.https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/74838

2008 Raider Sport located in Massachusetts for sale

yet ANOTHER version of the sunfish.https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/60957

This is interesting. A hombuilt painted plywood sailboat https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/57783

and last, a MX Ray, looks really fun to sail.https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/36215

2000 M-Yachts MX-Ray located in Maryland for sale

2 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

I didn't notice this before, there are two clam cleats on the side decks, can't imagine what for. I have never seen those on a Laser.

IMG_1971.jpg

Wait, mabye mainsheet cleats?

2 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

I didn't notice this before, there are two clam cleats on the side decks, can't imagine what for. I have never seen those on a Laser.

IMG_1971.jpg

probably, given the position they are installed. btu wrong piece of hardware for that use, imho.

Personally I don't see the point of mainsheet cleats. Thirty years of Laser sailing & never needed them out on the water.

Only time I've used them is on shore to stop the boom swinging about & hitting things.

• Like 1

We may have a rare clue that an ellusive kind of sailing swab exists...a "swilling Laser sailor"...think about it...one hand for the boat; the other for the beer!!!!!

• Like 1

The art work is unusual and interesting. The rest of the boat looks like it has been ignored for many decades. Junk. 

On 5/16/2020 at 6:39 PM, Admiral Hornblower said:

IMG_1971.jpg

That set up was pretty common set up in the early / mid 70s. My first laser was about the same vintage as this boat, got it lightly used and it came with cam cleats.

On 5/16/2020 at 7:25 PM, Trovão said:

probably, given the position they are installed. btu wrong piece of hardware for that use, imho.

Yes, those are mainsheet cleats.  There's plywood squares on the edge of the cockpit in that vicinity to anchor in the screws for the mainsheet cleats.  These cleats are a little far outboard though and I'm guessing that outboard screw is in foam core only.  Most people don't use the mainsheet cleats.  I bought an event Laser from 2009 and it had them on, I removed them and filled the holes.

11 hours ago, xonk1 said:

The art work is unusual and interesting. The rest of the boat looks like it has been ignored for many decades. Junk. 

Aye, a shame it will be sanded away...someone will do it,.

However, and that is one more polluting item not for the landfill. We swabs are really as contributory as the rest of humankind, when it comes to disparaging the planet...ocean cleaning attempts not withstanding, some might say.

2 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

You should grab those.  Those are two recent enough hulls that a little work and you'd have yourself two good sailboats.  Plus...fix two up, sell one off and you've paid for the first.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WCB said:

You should grab those.  Those are two recent enough hulls that a little work and you'd have yourself two good sailboats.  Plus...fix two up, sell one off and you've paid for the first.

And keep the better of the two trailers.

FB- Doug

On 5/12/2020 at 6:39 PM, Fasterdamnit! said:

How'd I miss this...spruce spars, ply hulls and frames, likely cotton sail.... amazing original boat, if it matches picture...220 foot sail...and all there. only needs trans metiod...

I built/rigged same boat and only have to add foot well on main hull and go to foam outrigger...miffed miss.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

And keep the better of the two trailers.

FB- Doug

Doug, appears two sets of spars and original sails (cotton) very tempting with trailer...and not picky about how stored...ujpstate NY...way up by Erie water...You have a good eye, IMO, still demands personal inspection...including trailer. Good one!

• Like 1

Thanks, I 'll consider it.

3 hours ago, WCB said:

One of Johnston's Cal rigs? Good boats but;

Needs a close inspection or survery too.

44 minutes ago, WCB said:

Seems like an appropriate name

best name for a "free" boat.

Banshee. Strange brand name for a boat..... A screaming harbinger of death.

Really...did not know...figured the capt preferred sailing to winning...interesting.

Vanguard made some very good boats...but $1900+ for a '75 is pushing it, to me...silll, you never know...The 15 seems more better...and no doubt trailer will go too...LA. 

Is Gov in '75 smiling for camera, or somehing up? Room here for some humor.

Looks to be a Thistle...woo one...nice boat but take s too many to sailer for me...I prefer to do wen the mood hits...sail, that is, and Thistles are hard to singlehand, if can be done at all.

Am too old for flirting with usch pain.

4 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

I have a HUGE soft spot for 470s, kinda like they have big soft spot called "the hull." The class rules mandate a rather poor laminate that does not hold up. But it's a great little design,  they are pretty and fun. I raced 470s back in the '70s when they were a popular class.

Basically, they worth what you can spend for a toy. Only a brand-new one is competitive. Still a lot of fun to sail as long as you accept tuning them for the soft hulls. The only part that has any contributory value is the trailer. Also, they are powerful enough that they need good sails or they will just get blown around sideways; so count on needing to buy new sails within a few years (if the sails are good now) or throw it away.

A good friend got me to help him set up and learn to sail an old 470 he picked up for cheap (~$500?) but it was frustrating for me. The sails were borderline blown-to-shit and we did get the boat sailing but it would not really "do what it do." He learned to make it go where he wanted it to, but as the sails got progressively worse he got frustrated and took up crewing on a J-24.

FB- Doug

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Locus said:

Only capable of 35knots on the trailer

Yeah, but that not only VMG upwind, it's UP HILL too!!

FB- Doug

• Like 1

K boat should stay in home area...I can see why it gathers a crowd...a keeper in looks and maintenance...

44 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

That Snipe looks well-set-up and is on a good trailer. I've sailed them and they're cool boats, not awe inspiring. I've never raced them. The metal daggerboard is a bit of a different type thing to cope with.

Laser 2 is a nice boat but with OEM sails on a yard-work trailer they have added a zero or two to the price.

2 minutes ago, BobBill said:

K boat should stay in home area...I can see why it gathers a crowd...a keeper in looks and maintenance...

Yeah, looks like a local classic that will only be appreciated close to home. To me, it looks like a more gracefully proportioned Rebel. If you wanted to learn about wood boat carpentry, that would be the thing to get. It's a beauty! But that varnished deck will be brutal anywhere south of Ticonderoga.

FB- Doug

• Like 3

1985 Nickels Lightning in Wisconsin. Looks to be in good shape.  $895 on Ebay  14xxx series Lightning on Ebay

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 9.45.17 AM.png

Snipes are nice...casual, simple fun....wing and wing downwind...perfect and likely why so popular. This a a goody...probably around a grand shekels iwth some talk...needs trailer for dry sailing etc, which is included....

Faster, Never saw one in past. thanks...I also can see why.

The Sharpies have always fasinated me...add a sail and CB and go pretty much anyplace. Alwayus had a softy for Sharoies and a few keelers...but the good ones really do not show up often, especially around here, for some reaosn.

Speaking of that any swab wants a more or less free Glass outrigger (mine), new sail, and trailer, PM me. All the best, but needs best to be sailed off beach...or dry sailed.

20 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

That Snipe looks well-set-up and is on a good trailer. I've sailed them and they're cool boats, not awe inspiring. I've never raced them. The metal daggerboard is a bit of a different type thing to cope with.

Laser 2 is a nice boat but with OEM sails on a yard-work trailer they have added a zero or two to the price.

Yeah, looks like a local classic that will only be appreciated close to home. To me, it looks like a more gracefully proportioned Rebel. If you wanted to learn about wood boat carpentry, that would be the thing to get. It's a beauty! But that varnished deck will be brutal anywhere south of Ticonderoga.

FB- Doug

I love that Kboat!   As far as the varnish on the deck goes, it’s actually not that bad.  Larger open areas of varnish are a lot easier to maintain than little bits and pieces of bright work.  I have a lot of varnish maintenance to keep up with in the fleet, and the large expanses are always a simple affair and pretty easy to keep looking impressive.  

Isn't KC-10 already sold or is it for sale again ( now ) ? 

On 5/20/2020 at 1:00 PM, Grestone said:

best name for a "free" boat.

Thats what I named my Capri 30...which I will gladly pass for free to the next owner..

3 hours ago, xonk1 said:

Isn't KC-10 already sold or is it for sale again ( now ) ? 

A search turned up the for sale ad...saying sold....three years ago.  

6 hours ago, jimmydyurko said:

Thats what I named my Capri 30...which I will gladly pass for free to the next owner..

If you'll cover the slip rent too, I'll take it and call it Grift Horse

11 hours ago, Fasterdamnit! said:

No wonder it is such  a beauty- Built by Steve Clark!!!

KC-10

At what age does one "get off?"

2 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Before cafe smile!

Returning to "Gift Horse" I see no problem with name...am I missing something?

On 5/21/2020 at 3:48 PM, Fasterdamnit! said:

And in a different aesthetic direction:

I give you the MiniSail. First one I've seen. Hopefully the last.

Designed by Ian Proctor. Built in England for George O'day.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/d/garner-minisail/7127960971.html

00S0S_d1rXXIkGB6P_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00D0D_6A7eUhxUF5q_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Last time I saw one of those we used it as a 4 person snowboard up in the Lake District in England many many years ago

2 hours ago, Mudsailor said:

Last time I saw one of those we used it as a 4 person snowboard up in the Lake District in England many many years ago

This is where the Topper came from. Some interesting history actually. Some sailors installed sliding seats on them.

On 5/22/2020 at 8:11 PM, Fasterdamnit! said:

No wonder it is such  a beauty- Built by Steve Clark!!!

KC-10

Lots of misinformation.

Sail number is USA 151. Hull was actually molded in England and rebuilt by Douglas Fowler in my shop in King Ferry NY after it fell apart on us. It lingered in the shop with Brit Shit written on its bow. We were young and harsh and not above humiliating boats that let us down.  Douglas does beautiful work, so she was rehabilitated.  So it looks like the US 153-170 series of IC we built between 1978-1981, but really isn’t one of them. The seat, carriage, and all the other bits are just the way we made them.  It’s kind of a bastard child that I lost track of for many years as it knocked around, seemingly spending more time in peoples sheds than ever being sailed.  It is currently owned by Jeanie Griffin in New Hampshire and is ( I believe) for sale.  Jeanie bought a carbon mast from me last year. She weighs about two kilos, and getting weight out of the mast means she can actually right the boat. 

The “ King Ferry” IC all had fiberglass hulls built to the DKV shape molded by Paul Hemker.  After 170, my Canoes had epoxy cored laminates because I had fallen into Ted Van Dusen’s orbit and things just had to get stiffer.  Once the Vanguard shop was up, I built a few Vinylester boats trying to keep the cost of a new boat down.  It didn’t work. 

SHC

• Like 3

On 5/21/2020 at 6:30 PM, Fasterdamnit! said:

Love me a Wood Sharpie! 15'7" and only 3'6" beam.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/d/fort-mill-whisp-wooden-row-boat-with/7128106602.html

Whisp- row, sail or motor. comes with oars.

$175, Fort Mill SC.

01010_c6Ql4gv9WHs_0gI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00q0q_3bgCzZKyEgn_0CI09b_1200x900.jpg

00R0R_cTdpyWeWLGU_0bo0t2_1200x900.jpg

Taht was one of the most popular (and pretty) plans available in the back of WoodenBoat years ago. For a while, you couldn't get the plans any longer. Even though I design rowing boats from time to time, I'd scoop that up if I were nearer!

Fast, I too am Sharpie fan, and thought this might work. Alas, no mast step...would have to reframe to step mast, seems to me. These are go anywere rigs...way under appreciated.

Re the Procor rig,...bet I was accrurate! 

6 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Taht was one of the most popular (and pretty) plans available in the back of WoodenBoat years ago. For a while, you couldn't get the plans any longer. Even though I design rowing boats from time to time, I'd scoop that up if I were nearer!

When I was in England, a friend of mine wanted to build a whisp but couldn’t get plans.  I designed a whisp for him and we built it.  This one had a foredeck and could be towed, sailed or motored.  The rig we had was a fireball rig, so it was ridiculously powered up...  but fun. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, eliboat said:

When I was in England, a friend of mine wanted to build a whisp but couldn’t get plans.  I designed a whisp for him and we built it.  This one had a foredeck and could be towed, sailed or motored.  The rig we had was a fireball rig, so it was ridiculously powered up...  but fun. 

E....Sharpie=like am guessing with hot rod motor? No references...

Skipjack design includes the Windmill, Clark Mill's effort to be an upgrade from the Optimist pram. While it was supposed to be for teenagers aging out of the pram, the parents liked it more. Still an active class in areas of the USA. Dave Ellis

3958 from bow.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 5:31 AM, Dex Sawash said:

Looking for a cabinet appointment?

You can leave it in my slip.. but you'll have to drive to Solomons to use it.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 10:58 PM, Steve Clark said:

Lots of misinformation.

SHC

Steve_

Thanks for the accurate info! Invaluable stuff.

• Like 1

2009 Corsair 24' Sprint 750 - 35K. Is that a reasonable price for an 11 year old boat? What is the general thinking on this?

8 minutes ago, xonk1 said:

2009 Corsair 24' Sprint 750 - 35K. Is that a reasonable price for an 11 year old boat? What is the general thinking on this?

First, not my cuppa, needs slip and is wide...Second, bearing on earlier, spendy...for me, know nada re this rig and area demand.

32 minutes ago, xonk1 said:

Might want to ask in the Multifull forum instead of the dinghy forum.  Probably lots of Corsair owners over there.

• Like 1

Grab Force 5 and its trailer...I would but likely gone already...

Depending on sail, a steal. Twice the tough rig as a Laser is, IMHO! 

Pretty sure that Force5 is one of the boats from the Western Carolina Sailing Club fleet and should have had all the normal issues repaired and be a quality boat. Might even be the one I borrowed a few years ago when the Portsmouth fleet didn't show up and I couldn't race my Int Canoe at the Hospice Regatta.