WCB

Craigslist Finds

I just saw that... timing is not good, I go visit my Dad in Florida and could grab it on my way, but he is still up north for the summer!

FB- Doug

If you want it, I'll connect you to Dave Ellis. He lives near St. Petersburg, he has moved a bunch of boats for me and could likely hold it until your father arrives and then deliver it. His fees are reasonable.

For once, an actually GOOD IC on this list! This is USmail. Solid nethercotte IC. Somebody snap this baby up.

DRC

The MI FD looked nifty...thing is, not for everyone. You know what you have, fine, but for the non-sailor, might end up a bit turnoff. In fact, even the simplest rig might be a turnoff...still, for minor money, if all there, hell of a deal at 1700...IMHO.

Regarding that Megabyte - if you aren't hung up on racing in a fleet and just want an excellent, simple boat to sail with room for a guest and performance enough to be fun without kicking your ass - these are rather nice boats - the guy that designed them - Bruce Farr - well, he's pretty good.

Yeah, if you live to hit a crowded OD starting line, then it's not your huckleberry.

Another FD in Reno. I feel like we saw this one before but a wood deck and only $500!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/boa/5836814746.html

Here's a working link. Seller seems motivated as they're moving North.

https://reno.craigslist.org/boa/5827208396.html

Love that FD...

Steamer...you mean, of course, "Why The Foolishness?" Works for me, but my boss is too PC, for cause. Small town.

If you put a pram bow on at that second knuckle it would make more sense. Haven't worked my way back to the rest of it yet though.

I don't think you need to worry about the deck falling off.

My guess is it loses to a Sunfish on every point of sail

And is not seaworthy at all in over 15

• Like 2

Early DIY "sport boat" loner...AWAG! Glassed wood...crazy...thankful not in my yard...

You have to help me here, I don't really know what it is. http://keys.craigslist.org/boa/5838594411.html

00c0c_hXo3nNKsruC_600x450.jpg

It's a project. With no pedigree, it's worth the approximate scrap value of the metal, plus the trailer, minus the cost (in both time & gas) to go check it out. It might be an Ozzie or NZ design real sportboat, or it might be somebody's work of genius, or a horrid kludge. Can't tell from the pics, from the fact that it was left in a relatively low-rent neighborhood side yard I would guess that much of it was completed as cheaply as possible.

The big puzzler to me is this:

01010_kY1ru68iqhy_600x450.jpg

It looks like twin rudders, daggerboard-style in cassettes; which is perfectly orthodox sportboat design. However it looks like the gudgeons & the cassette are galvanized fence hinges. Maybe they're not.

Iin any case I live much too far away to check it out unfortunately. At this asking price, it's not even worth contacting the guy.

FB- Doug

In 1988 we all recognized 16 year old Lasers to be ancient.

If this ancient boat has not been used hardly at all it could be a diamond in the rough.

My 1996 boat (sold in 1998 when I bought a new boat) has passed through two other owners who never used it and the kid whose parents bought it last month recently sailed it at the Wurstfest Regatta.

It is damn certain still worth at heart $3000

As for the boat in the ad, It could just as easily have a great race record which means it is already a mushed out piece of shit.

I certainly would go have a look!!

• Like 2

Windmill.

I love the look of this one, never had a ride on one yet, though. https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/5902043728.html

00W0W_1ZSvXWzpsOv_600x450.jpg

The Truc 12 has some resemblance to the topsides. http://www.crusyacht.it/e/project_car_e_5.html

God, I love this thread...you see so many crazy or old boats...

Windmill...rockets and simple...no spinnaker as I recall. This one will go for less then 500 and looks to be wood...ongoing TLC...still, for the right young sailors...the trailer needs close inspection...

Windmills are great boats. Rig almost the same as a Snipe, much lighter hull.

Alsways wanted to try a Windmill.

Someplace I used to go always had a few 'mills there.

If there was any wind at the dock they reminded me of a high strung horse, charging around at the limits of the bow line as the crew try not to get hurt mounting/dismounting.

Lively little things.

If there was any wind at the dock they reminded me of a high strung horse, charging around at the limits of the bow line as the crew try not to get hurt mounting/dismounting.

Lively little things.

Yes they are lively. Great in light air too. There used to be a good fleet at CSC / Kerr Lake.

FB- Doug

Windmills are fantastic boats, though far better to drive than to crew in as far as comfort is concerned. Boat will plane in <10kts and has a great tweaky rig. A real shame that the Snipe had greater success as a class than the windmill did, as it comes up far short in almost every regard.

Eli, as I recall, Snipe is way older...but you got it...Mills are designed for home ply build and that hard chined simple boat flies much better than lots of ODs, but not sophisticated to get snob ratings. I like 'em since the glass versions arrived.

Aways reminded me of Mobacks with wide deck...Mobs are another awesome old boat that should still be popular...just not "techy" enough I guess. Sad, to me! Simple sailing is way more fun.

Lively little things.

+1

Would that someone opened a OD dinghy only rental place...one of each....from x to y...Finn to big old Raven...and we could rent boat of choice for couple hours etc.

Be great in place like Chicago? Lake Geneva, WI, some western and southern spots...madness, right?

Lively little things.

+1

Would that someone opened a OD dinghy only rental place...one of each....from x to y...Finn to big old Raven...and we could rent boat of choice for couple hours etc.

Be great in place like Chicago? Lake Geneva, WI, some western and southern spots...madness, right?

"If you build it, they will come." Add a massage parlor and other ways for our ladies to spend money, who knows?

For fans of Windmills, like me, here is one that was modded. http://www.jonesboatworks.com/malu/

"The Clark Mills designed Windmill is the mid-century modern – sports car version of a sharpie, a one design class for teenagers who had out grown the Optimist Pram, and wanted the fastest, go-to-hell sailboat around. The Windmill had been part of my sailing history. I had crewed on a Windmill as a teen in Tarpon Springs and later worked at Clearwater Bay Marine Ways, and became friends with Clark. This was my starting point. The Windmill was designed for simple strong construction, so that a home built boat could compete in the class. It has proven to be not only fast, but also seaworthy (see WoodenBoat #26, Classic Boat January 2014 p.67). I have maintained these qualities in Malu."

For fans of Windmills, like me, here is one that was modded. http://www.jonesboatworks.com/malu/

"The Clark Mills designed Windmill is the mid-century modern – sports car version of a sharpie, a one design class for teenagers who had out grown the Optimist Pram, and wanted the fastest, go-to-hell sailboat around. The Windmill had been part of my sailing history. I had crewed on a Windmill as a teen in Tarpon Springs and later worked at Clearwater Bay Marine Ways, and became friends with Clark. This was my starting point. The Windmill was designed for simple strong construction, so that a home built boat could compete in the class. It has proven to be not only fast, but also seaworthy (see WoodenBoat #26, Classic Boat January 2014 p.67). I have maintained these qualities in Malu."

Very interesting...first thing came to mind was Everglades Challenge...Windmill hulls and boats are a great push for "simple!"

Simple is usually best in the beginning, and always best later...IMHO.

Watching the video of the FrankenWindmill I thought the area looked familiar.

Now I find the talented wood boat builder lives less than two miles away from my home!

Yes, a used Windmill with some modifications, even if not as impressive as Jonesboatworks, would be an excellent Everglades Challenge craft.

If I count right, I have owned or sailed competitively on 15 Windmills over 50 years, including #1.

Maybe I should get one more, eh?

Dave Ellis

Honorary Life Member, Windmill Class Association

Now I find the talented wood boat builder lives less than two miles away from my home!

Yes, a used Windmill with some modifications, even if not as impressive as Jonesboatworks, would be an excellent Everglades Challenge craft.

If I count right, I have owned or sailed competitively on 15 Windmills over 50 years, including #1.

Dave Ellis

Wish I had sailed on one...ingenious machine, IMHO.

"The Clark Mills designed Windmill is the mid-century modern sports car version of a sharpie, a one design class for teenagers who had out grown the Optimist Pram, and wanted the fastest, go-to-hell sailboat around. The Windmill had been part of my sailing history. I had crewed on a Windmill as a teen in Tarpon Springs and later worked at Clearwater Bay Marine Ways, and became friends with Clark. This was my starting point. The Windmill was designed for simple strong construction, so that a home built boat could compete in the class. It has proven to be not only fast, but also seaworthy (see WoodenBoat #26, Classic Boat January 2014 p.67). I have maintained these qualities in Malu."

This is a block from my house. It's actually slightly bigger than a windmill, same hull shape though. I think the guy goes to the same small-boat meet ups many of the EC guys do, but I don't think he's sailed in the EC. He's also got a beamy cb boat about 22' parked beside his house...similar to a catboat but sloop-rigged. Nice workshop in his backyard.

Very interesting...first thing came to mind was Everglades Challenge...Windmill hulls and boats are a great push for "simple!"

Simple is usually best in the beginning, and always best later...IMHO.

+1

Someone start a thread on the EC 2017 for us....

Dave Ellis

That is pretty cool and a lot of Windmills you sailed.

It sounds like a good reason to get another one and EC. :)

This is a block from my house. It's actually slightly bigger than a windmill, same hull shape though. I think the guy goes to the same small-boat meet ups many of the EC guys do, but I don't think he's sailed in the EC. He's also got a beamy cb boat about 22' parked beside his house...similar to a catboat but sloop-rigged. Nice workshop in his backyard.

That is remarkable, the things you find out neighbours do, that are of interest in that way.

Agreed...looks like a fun boat to play with.

Is that the same hull as the current Aero??

Is that a stupid question?

No such thing as a stupid question.

I have no idea and I am too lazy to figure it out for myself

• Like 2

Do we "play" with boats or "sail" 'em? Rhetorical? No offense intended...

It's not an Aero hull. I think the writer of the ad just used a bunch of words he thought applied to cool boats in the hopes of selling it sooner / for more money

FB- Doug

It's not an Aero hull. I think the writer of the ad just used a bunch of words he thought applied to cool boats in the hopes of selling it sooner / for more money

FB- Doug

Pretty sure this is an Aero 8 NS14

Do we "play" with boats or "sail" 'em? Rhetorical? No offense intended...

Why not both?

FB- Doug

Dig! Was sorta my point...hard to separate...labor of love...especially when inshore swilling.

FB- Doug

Pretty sure this is an Aero 8 NS14

Ah so, thanks. We were thinking "RS Aero"

FB- Doug

FB- Doug

So... no road trip to get a boat

• Like 2

Good evening,

Anyone for a genuine Weta? This one for sale on Gumtree, South Africa. (Kinda like Craigslist)

post-14467-0-48311400-1484344489_thumb.jpg

This one was posted over in Cruising Anarchy.

Interesting. The add claims this to be perhaps an early Topper. What's with the flat structure about mid-ships? If you look at it just right, you could envision a sliding seat as found on an IC? Dave Clark - any comments?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/5967724460.html

This one was posted over in Cruising Anarchy.

Interesting. The add claims this to be perhaps an early Topper. What's with the flat structure about mid-ships? If you look at it just right, you could envision a sliding seat as found on an IC? Dave Clark - any comments?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/5967724460.html

It is a Mini Sail, not a Topper. They were quite popular before the Topper came out, but I guess the Topper's roto-molded economics and durability killed them

Some history here: http://minisail.org.uk/

This is a fantastic thread. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

I was mildly interested in the Dutchman until looking at the missing gudgeons. At best. It is a mid project restoration being abandoned

• Like 1

I was mildly interested in the Dutchman until looking at the missing gudgeons. At best. It is a mid project restoration being abandoned

He's an honest seller- "Starting price reflects half of what I have invested in her."

probably "invested" is a poor choice of words. Still, potentially a real beauty. There's not enough of these classics left!

FB- Doug

Idle question re missing gudgeons...why not good? Seems easy fix, but could be missing something? Just curious.

The transom has done discoloration which could be rot.'

Lord knows how much rot is where and how structural it is and how difficult it would be to fix

It just looks a bit worrisome

Hell knows?? It could just need sanding, varnish and re-installation of The fittings

• Like 1

Ahh sooo. Never occurred to me. Makes sense...have to be there, with blade...good eye and thanks...I had acquired a classic catamaran power boat a couple decades back...1961 7 foot beam PowerCat dual 80s. It had rot transom...wood sandwich old heavy glass though.

Couple hundred holes and gallons of epoxy and glass layup and anguished human later...fixed. Once...never again...so did your eyeballing. If I can, will post pic of boat...was fun...gone...got offer I could not refuse. Fun and wacky.

Ahh sooo. Never occurred to me. Makes sense...have to be there, with blade...good eye and thanks...I had acquired a classic catamaran power boat a couple decades back...1961 7 foot beam PowerCat dual 80s. It had rot transom...wood sandwich old heavy glass though.

Couple hundred holes and gallons of epoxy and glass layup and anguished human later...fixed. Once...never again...so did your eyeballing. If I can, will post pic of boat...was fun...gone...got offer I could not refuse. Fun and wacky.

Transoms are a weak point of many many boats. I'm currently doing a minor 'transom job' on an early 1970s Oday Javelin.

Fiberglass over plywood is a strong construction but it has to be kept dry. Transoms generally have a lot of stuff screwed/bolted to them. Caulk/bedding only lasts so long. Eventually the wood begins to rot, then you have two thin fiberglass transoms with a layer of black much in between... a poor structural solution. It's not really a difficult fix although it may be more work than the boat is worth. I like to cut ~hand-sized areas of the inner fiberglass out, dig out the mush, put in filler (I use cheap foam & filler/epoxy putty), put cut-out piece of FG skin back on. Rinse and repeat, when the whole transom is solid, put a final outer skin of fiberglass cloth over to tie it all back together; alternately, tape the joints of the cut-out areas.

BB it sounds to me like you started out doing a little repair, possibly with holes too small (trying to work thru a hole smaller 3/8 is futile IMHO), and it just spread out of control. When the job starts expanding, get a bigger hammer! This Javelin I'm working on has six 3/8" holes over an area about the size of a dinner plate, it's been heat-lamped for about 6 days to dry out, this morning I am planning to start pouring in goo. This little boat is going to be sailed hard so the transom needs to be strong. I hate when the rudder comes off in your hand.

FB- Doug

Doug, I guess on that job I drilled 1000 3/8 holes and slopped on a gone of Git-Rot to fill and spread, then glassed the surface. took a month or so.

My Kite dinghy (1976) had a fine interior including transom wood, but the outfit built it took a short cut, not extending the "T" top to sides, so I added to it using graphited/epoxied pipe insulation pressured to top...was fine.

However, after finishing, I had different materials inside center top (the orig wood, the filler/carbon I added to bridge to "T" extensions, and the glass/carbon epoxy surface...and developed a crack from temp extremes and had to redo...will send you pics if you wish...anyway had to redo again (exterior and made sure all were same (carbon/epoxy) and will see. I only mention because it occurred to me it would have been better I did nothing, but had to cut into upper part of transom to review, and refinish, of course.

Gouv' is sharp. Me? I would not have noticed until too late. Good heads-up for me.

Rudder/tiller in hand loose is not fun...three miles out or on trailer. Love me back!

Don't get me wrong... I love restoring old boats but I draw the line at trying to fix one when I could start over and finish sooner.

Same goes for pieces of wood in boats. Even Teak only costs $30 for a square foot an inch thick.

Sandpaper and my time has to be factored in versus just cutting a new handrail, tiller, hatch board, coaming.......

And the new chunk of woid is NEW!!!

Of course, sometimes that old piece of wood has special charm and character

Sometimes that old hull was second in the 1949 internationals and refurbishing it has great sentimental value.

Everybody has reasons for fiddling with an old boat

I prefer to create finished products that are like they were when new, or modernized, but functionality is big in my mind. I like seeing my projects either under me or sailing by.

Don't get me wrong... I love restoring old boats but I draw the line at trying to fix one when I could start over and finish sooner.

Same goes for pieces of wood in boats. Even Teak only costs $30 for a square foot an inch thick.

Sandpaper and my time has to be factored in versus just cutting a new handrail, tiller, hatch board, coaming.......

And the new chunk of woid is NEW!!!

Of course, sometimes that old piece of wood has special charm and character

Sometimes that old hull was second in the 1949 internationals and refurbishing it has great sentimental value.

Everybody has reasons for fiddling with an old boat

I prefer to create finished products that are like they were when new, or modernized, but functionality is big in my mind. I like seeing my projects either under me or sailing by.

+1 I learned the hard way, and I am a slow friggin learner. Dig...

Laser w/ 16ft "Sail Pole" "in good shape".

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/5978865672.html

I mean every boat has a soul and everything but sometimes when stuff is severely aged or decrepit, part of me thinks that this is the answer:

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/hss/5984743179.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/grd/5973227126.html

Cost effective, too.

DRC

Meanie

Is it, though? Here's a counter-theory: I stopped by some folks on my river that I'd never seen with a sailboat ever, because suddenly they were rigging something up. Mid 70's mistral 18 with half the hardware broken, spent or swapped for stuff that didn't fit. They'd got it "for a bargain and [were] excited to try sailing." I advised them to save themselves a fiasco and start from scratch and sent them some more viable cragslist options. They ultimately got set up with a well sorted nearly free old O'day Daysailer thanks to the local sealegs organization. At last sighting they are having fun with their new hobby. Merely an anecdote.

Especially with the staying power of composites, the ratio of toothed bargains to viable secondhanders will get more skewed towards the negative over time, risking turning off new interested participants or absorbing what maintenance and restoration hours the capable can put in. Again this is merely a misgiving I have from time to time and Craigslist is riddled with good stuff in general.

DRC

When i was a lifeguard I regularly got called a meanie for telling kids they weren't ready to swim out to the big kids raft with the big slide.

I take dead boats to the dump a dozen times a year because I know they are done. There is always some ignorant person saying, "I would have taken it."

and I saved all those people from the experience.

There are dozens of boats whose owners try to "donate" them to the Sea Scouts or our junior program who I chase off to take their own trash to the dump.

Like you

I am a meanie

Was up earlier...? Lovely boat...hefty maintenance schedule.

I know, felt the same way about a Fairey Marine Finn up for sale in Maine...original wood...spars...needs home like mine but too far...

Damn, this is a fun thread, isn't it?

I'm on the wrong coast for this one but somebody needs to do the right thing and buy this boat!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/boa/5987414933.html

Hmmm, road trip? Now this looks like a fun purchase.

Just need to sell that Rhodes 19 and I could free up some cash for the road trip.

I know, felt the same way about a Fairey Marine Finn up for sale in Maine...original wood...spars...needs home like mine but too far...

Damn, this is a fun thread, isn't it?

It is a fun thread. Maine is in my backyard - we could have made a trade! ;-)

I'm on the wrong coast for this one but somebody needs to do the right thing and buy this boat!

I've asked a couple questions of the seller - it looks to be a conversion of al older 14 to the Asymmetric, but hard to really tell. that rot in the plywood on the hull side is concerning.

It may not be classic enough to really dive into as a classic project....

I've asked a couple questions of the seller - it looks to be a conversion of al older 14 to the Asymmetric, but hard to really tell. that rot in the plywood on the hull side is concerning.

14s were and remain open class, I recall when Walker and crew took a saw to a hull and sliced it up pretty good, and sailed the heck out of it. I am beyond 14s but I do like that hull...be tempted living in the neighborhood, I would.

14s were and remain open class, I recall when Walker and crew took a saw to a hull and sliced it up pretty good, and sailed the heck out of it. I am beyond 14s but I do like that hull...be tempted living in the neighborhood, I would.

Yep - I have a modern wood 14, named, of all things, Woodie.

So it turns out that one of the still-active fleet members here in SF used to sail that boat. That was before I joined the fleet I believe unless it's the old 'bee. Which would be a very cool find....

For the price, the 14 could be tempting to someone BUT that one picture showing the dry rot on a good portion of exposed veneer could indicate the hull is in tough shape. At least you would get spars and sails for a cheap price!

I'm restoring Thistle #53 (built in 1946). Wooden Thistles are hot molded with 5 plys of 1/16" veneers. On Thistle 53, there was a small area of dry rot visible (about 3-4 inches diameter) in one section. There was a lot more dry rot NOT visible which resulted in a much more involved repair (re-veneering after all of the dry rot was removed). One would need to take a close look at the hull and understand the construction method to know how big of project it would be to fix the problem.

Really old wooden 14's are in high demand due to their historical value. This one doesn't look to be old enough to qualify but someone with a better knowledge of Classic 14's should be consulted.

For the price, the 14 could be tempting to someone BUT that one picture showing the dry rot on a good portion of exposed veneer could indicate the hull is in tough shape. At least you would get spars and sails for a cheap price!

I'm restoring Thistle #53 (built in 1946). Wooden Thistles are hot molded with 5 plys of 1/16" veneers. On Thistle 53, there was a small area of dry rot visible (about 3-4 inches diameter) in one section. There was a lot more dry rot NOT visible which resulted in a much more involved repair (re-veneering after all of the dry rot was removed). One would need to take a close look at the hull and understand the construction method to know how big of project it would be to fix the problem.

Really old wooden 14's are in high demand due to their historical value. This one doesn't look to be old enough to qualify but someone with a better knowledge of Classic 14's should be consulted.

that's my POV - not old enough to be truly classic, not young enough to be competitive. Based on the age, that aluminum spar won't be of much value either. Likely short, and no one is using alloy masts anymore.

BUT, I know the former owner, he might have a soft spot for the boat, and I see him tomorrow....