Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nav

ACWS Muscat - Feb 27, 28 2016

Today's interviews.

Could you do an interview with the ACEA and address the complaints people have with watching the racing?

For some people it's become nearly impossible to watch and how do they think this will grow the view count/fanbase?

Is anyone else having problems with the AC+ app? When I try to watch live all I get is a message that says retrieving products like its trying to load something, but that is all it does. It NEVER stops trying to load whatever its trying to load and the live action never comes up. So far I'd have to say that this app is nothing but a big waste of money.

Sorry about the late response, but it would have made no real difference.

Always make sure location services (GPS) is activated and you have the latest update. ACEA had TWO updates this week, one just before the event. If you are not updated and the app can not access GPS location it will spin and spin and spin.

Updates should be out at least a week before the event if they are going to take your money, poor planning and execution again.

Thank you for the reponse. Location services was activated, and I just bought the app on Thursday and downloaded all the updates so I don't believe that was my problem. I appreciate the attempt to help though. Thanks.

Is anyone else having problems with the AC+ app? When I try to watch live all I get is a message that says retrieving products like its trying to load something, but that is all it does. It NEVER stops trying to load whatever its trying to load and the live action never comes up. So far I'd have to say that this app is nothing but a big waste of money.

Always make sure location services (GPS) is activated and you have the latest update. ACEA had TWO updates this week, one just before the event. If you are not updated and the app can not access GPS location it will spin and spin and spin.

Updates should be out at least a week before the event if they are going to take your money, poor planning and execution again.

Thank you for the reponse. Location services was activated, and I just bought the app on Thursday and downloaded all the updates so I don't believe that was my problem. I appreciate the attempt to help though. Thanks.

I had a similar experience earlier (Gothenburg) with my tablet. After downloading and updating, directly opened app to AC+ and got the same message. I stopped app and reopened. It opened fine after that.

The menu on the side under AC+ should have: Virtual Eye; Replays; Live Racing (when there is live racing) and Profile/Purchases. If you do not see that menu, then the app is not ready for live race streaming.

Other than those fixes, I do not have an answer. I have not experienced any problems with the app at all, other then that one thing.

I was able to watch part of the replay of the races right up until the app froze just after the start of race 3 Now its back to not working once again. I really don't think its a problem on my end. This tablet that I'm using has been possibly the most trouble free electronic device I have ever owned. I have live streamed a great deal of different types of content on this thing and never had even a hint of trouble. I'm not at all sure what's going on here, but after paying $24 for the season pass, it's more than a little disappointing.

.........I'm not at all sure what's going on here, but after paying $24 for the season pass, it's more than a little disappointing.

...ahh I get it...it's...... pay. per. NOT. view. ...think I'll pass thanks, Russ :mellow:

....where does one find online coverage?

Don't bother wasting your time.

....where does one find online coverage?

Don't bother wasting your time.

....yah,,I'll stick to SA. ...a much more qualitative waste of time :)

Day 1 Oman

Boat by RaceNumber LegNumber Ave_SOG

SWE 1 1 16.90

NZL 1 1 15.55

JPN 1 1 14.39

USA 1 1 14.11

GBR 1 1 13.39

FRA 1 1 12.90

NZL 1 2 13.15

GBR 1 2 12.15

FRA 1 2 10.20

USA 1 2 10.16

SWE 1 2 9.55

NZL 1 3 10.18

GBR 1 3 9.86

USA 1 3 9.69

JPN 1 3 9.28

SWE 1 3 8.57

NZL 1 4 12.60

USA 1 4 12.59

GBR 1 4 11.99

SWE 1 4 11.50

JPN 1 4 10.85

GBR 2 1 14.55

JPN 2 1 13.21

USA 2 1 11.97

SWE 2 1 11.42

NZL 2 1 11.05

JPN 2 2 12.18

GBR 2 2 11.94

NZL 2 2 10.25

SWE 2 2 9.93

USA 2 2 9.80

GBR 2 3 10.30

NZL 2 3 10.17

JPN 2 3 9.78

USA 2 3 9.49

SWE 2 3 9.02

GBR 2 4 11.95

USA 2 4 11.36

JPN 2 4 11.13

NZL 2 4 11.02

SWE 2 4 10.85

GBR 3 1 12.24

NZL 3 1 12.13

SWE 3 1 11.91

JPN 3 1 11.21

USA 3 1 9.51

GBR 3 2 10.79

NZL 3 2 10.17

SWE 3 2 10.11

USA 3 2 9.75

JPN 3 2 9.75

JPN 3 3 9.58

GBR 3 3 9.42

NZL 3 3 9.08

USA 3 3 9.00

SWE 3 3 8.91

GBR 3 4 10.88

SWE 3 4 9.74

JPN 3 4 9.64

NZL 3 4 9.35

USA 3 4 9.04

AC+ app worked well last year. But it's cut back to "in boat view and boat audio" only for New Zealand viewers (thanks to Sky TV contract). It's like watching with blinkers on. Can't see the start. Can't really see the race and what's going on! Its not good! :(

Chased up Sky TV last week. Found out their one day $15 or one week $20 sports "fan pass" dose not connect to the pop-up Chanel 055 that all AC racing will be on. Only way is full Sky subscription with sport pack at $78/month. Yer right!

Damn shame they can't foil in that light breeze! It could be done......Some foiler builders are aiming to have their boats foil in 5 knots of breeze(or a bit less).

I don't want Sky Sports. Ditched it last year. Lousy ROI. Yes app is geo-blocked except four-screen views for $2.99 per event. Bugger that.

So will the ACEA's grand plan repel more existing fans that the new ones it possibly creates? Here in NZ will it mean more business for Sky Sports? I doubt it. Though if Team NZ continues to perform well there might be some late converts.

The powers that be have lost more fans than they have gained since AC 33 , why change anything now .

Damn shame they can't foil in that light breeze! It could be done......Some foiler builders are aiming to have their boats foil in 5 knots of breeze(or a bit less).

They were topping 15 knots of boatspeed at times, although not for long. I wonder if they could have popped out but instead chose to keep the rake neutral to reduce drag? Or perhaps they had the rudder rake preset for the overall-light conditions and so couldn't foil efficiently even when speeds were up a little?

Both top speeds and average speeds were just about half of what they reached on Bermuda Sunday, and they dropped during today from R1 to R3. Makes me wonder if racing would have been better if begun earlier in the day.

The wind was light but comparisons can still be fun, so if anyone has questions that can be derived from the live datasets (nav posted a link above) then feel free to request and I will ask the database. Elapsed times, number of tacks, course sailed to the wind, boat and wind speeds, pitch, heel, across teams and by legs or races, up or down, etc; whatever floats your boat.

Don't worry, it's all over now and you missed 85mins of the most underwhelming 'racing' yet.

When the 'hot' reaching start is at an angle that results in the fleet VMG ending up well to windward and not even interested in going round Mark 1, then bouncing off boundaries to minimise manoeuvres, going upwind with CZs and half hoisted jibs - the only thing missing was whisker poles so they could float DDW.

Yes, the wind shifts caused havoc, especially in the reaching start of Race 2 - and especially for those who were behind BAR who got to the mark first because of what turned into a hotter angle from having started in a position way down the line, as the wind kept clocking right.

It's possible that BAR had the best feel of the clock cycles, BA did credit Giles Scott in Sailorgal's post-race interview. They looked really good today starting after the beginning of their first race.

Being an onshore breeze the finish was set up to be downwind, presumably for the dozens (and dozens!) of spectators but that worked out nicely. I never much cared for the last-leg parade in to the shore that we saw in SF and some other venues; there was almost never any last-second overtaking on those parade legs but even today we saw place changes in the last 30 secs before that downwind finish line, FRA's nifty two-place pickup being the most obvious one.

Thanks for the link. That was painful to watch.

Any opinion on about if the races would have been a lot better if held on SF Bay?

:D

😓

Any opinion on about if the races would have been a lot better if held on SF Bay?

Anywhere with wind would be better

Why would you need wind? Money is sufficient...

Why would you need wind? Money is sufficient...

...good reason to hold the whole damn thing in Iman :mellow:

Is this an OMAN of a Mayor Wind-Down of enthusiasm for things AC ??

Let's see we had hiking to leeward, 16 min " races " and boats that tack slower than a Catalina 36 .

Where do I sign up ?

AC+ app worked well last year. But it's cut back to "in boat view and boat audio" only for New Zealand viewers (thanks to Sky TV contract). It's like watching with blinkers on. Can't see the start. Can't really see the race and what's going on! Its not good! :(

Chased up Sky TV last week. Found out their one day $15 or one week $20 sports "fan pass" dose not connect to the pop-up Chanel 055 that all AC racing will be on. Only way is full Sky subscription with sport pack at $78/month. Yer right!

did you try on your computer?

edit: like a pc? my mate just reported that it worked well. i was happy with the replay!

Don't worry, it's all over now and you missed 85mins of the most underwhelming 'racing' yet.

When the 'hot' reaching start is at an angle that results in the fleet VMG ending up well to windward and not even interested in going round Mark 1, then bouncing off boundaries to minimise manoeuvres, going upwind with CZs and half hoisted jibs - the only thing missing was whisker poles so they could float DDW.

Yes, the wind shifts caused havoc, especially in the reaching start of Race 2 - and especially for those who were behind BAR who got to the mark first because of what turned into a hotter angle from having started in a position way down the line, as the wind kept clocking right.

It's possible that BAR had the best feel of the clock cycles, BA did credit Giles Scott in Sailorgal's post-race interview. They looked really good today starting after the beginning of their first race.

Being an onshore breeze the finish was set up to be downwind, presumably for the dozens (and dozens!) of spectators but that worked out nicely. I never much cared for the last-leg parade in to the shore that we saw in SF and some other venues; there was almost never any last-second overtaking on those parade legs but even today we saw place changes in the last 30 secs before that downwind finish line, FRA's nifty two-place pickup being the most obvious one.

ya, it was great racing

Let's see we had hiking to leeward, 16 min " races " and boats that tack slower than a Catalina 36 .

Where do I sign up ?

Stop being sarcastic and drink your Kool Aid.

Watched on sky TV in NZ the commentary was crap Ken Reid was doing his best to make up for the complete dick brain he was working with. They missed so many things ...the funniest part was when the interviewed Peter Burling and asked him how it feels to be a 23year old out there winning and Peter said not sure I'm 25....way to do you research then he asked how TNZ got a penalty on Artemis in the circle at the 1st mark and Burling said we didn't they got it half way along the leg...which if they were actually watching the to coverage they would have seen pop up on the monitor ....way to go 2 from 2 questions complete fucked up.

The coverage was way to over dramatised stick to the facts and just call it how it is. One would think being the Americas cup they would actually get some descent commentators to talk about the pinnacle of our sport not some dork. Ken Reid yes. Peter Lester yes. Or hang on do like rugby and cricket do find another ex player to commentate to provide accurate descriptions and paint the picture.

All those Ser Ben Ainslie's, do they think this is Game of Thrones?

In February? I just looked at the wind forecast for SF, light and shiite.

All those Ser Ben Ainslie's, do they think this is Game of Thrones?

...oh,,you must mean sir don't you know **? :huh:

......**who I am!!? :rolleyes:

a2_2080989b.jpg

a3_2080987b.jpg

...how quickly they forget :mellow:

February - Auckland would have been perfect.

I had no problems with the app. I did notice last night, however, that there was an update to the app. I was away from home and my phone only updates apps on wifi. Until I got home later at night and the app updated, it wasn't working properly. But when I got up at 4:50a to watch, it worked very well.

I don't want Sky Sports. Ditched it last year. Lousy ROI. Yes app is geo-blocked except four-screen views for $2.99 per event. Bugger that.

So will the ACEA's grand plan repel more existing fans that the new ones it possibly creates? Here in NZ will it mean more business for Sky Sports? I doubt it. Though if Team NZ continues to perform well there might be some late converts.

The powers that be have lost more fans than they have gained since AC 33 , why change anything now .

Posted elsewhere but I had no multi screen on the app while watching sky, just delayed buggy live feed. Have asked for my $ back.

Except for today...

Yachting: Conditions halt progress at Sail Auckland.

http://nzh.tw/11597116

Except for today...

Yachting: Conditions halt progress at Sail Auckland.

http://nzh.tw/11597116

Ha! The old regatta favourite 'it's not normally like this'!

Why don't they sail with normal daggers when non foiling conditions occurs?

The L underpart has no function without foiling. It's only extra drag, resistance.

post-17796-0-83799300-1456649407_thumb.jpg

Let me guess, it's regulated by the class regulations.

To make the decision to sail with or without L foilers is the same as in formula one:

to start the circuit with or without raintires. Tactical decisions that make racing more exciting.

And the boats will be significantly faster without L foils in light weather.

And listen to. Who is that fuckwit with Kenny? Kilometres per hour, retrd!

The L underpart has no function without foiling. It's only extra drag, resistance.

attachicon.gifL foil resistance.JPG

To make the decision to sail with or without L foilers is the same as in formula one:

to start the circuit with or without raintires. Tactical decisions that make racing more exciting.

.....they wanted to keep the costs down :mellow:

attachicon.gifL foil resistance.JPG

.....they wanted to keep the costs down :mellow:

"The fastest sailors in the fastest boats" was the slogan, wasn't it?

No live images to be expected today? Only twitter?

EmiratesTeamNZ @EmiratesTeamNZ

Getting ready for #lvacws double points Sunday at the #etnz base. Light wind again. It's going to be tough out there

Sailor Girl @sailorgirl218

15 minutes to go & the boats are testing displacement and foiling modes. 8 to 10 knots nor'east! Build baby build! #LVACWSOman @americascup

Watching on cric free BTsport 1

Just how do you get rid of those pop ups on the screen?

Good. Also Cric free BTsport 1 (with ny adblocker now on)

Sitting on couch watching (11pm sunday evening)

Pretty good noit sure why you would consider setting up the app on ur phone.

ps PB smoking on first leg

Servus has the best pictures, take the commentary from somewhere else - if you don't do Deutsch

CcS1FZRWwAEW1s0.jpg

CcS2szOW0AAi1Zy.jpg

Day2 Race 1

TJ and TNZ get good start but with TNZ jumping out to good lead.

TJ have an issue on last leg and TGB overtake to take second place after TNZ

No foiling, light winds so emphasis goes on smooth, no error sailing - PB and BA show their class. DB maybe but they had that winch mishap

The rest: JS under the weather with the flu and looking very much off the pace. All are off the pace compared to TNZ TGB

not much of a spectacle in light airs. No-one can afford to engage in any close contact. The gybing is sooooooo painful. Tuned it off.

Oh no! 3 boats over in Race 3 with @ArtemisRacing, @EmiratesTeamNZ, and @LandRoverBAR. Americans, French and Japanese off to a great start!

CcTBciCWAAA_SDq.jpg

Close cross coming up with @OracleTeamUSA over @GroupamaTeamFR on starboard. Will Spithill make it across Minoprio? Yes, he does, barely!

Team France won the last race!
CcTFMs0W0AQlPIQ.jpg

Second for @OracleTeamUSA in the sixth and final race of #LVACWSOman. @GroupamaTeamFr with the win.
Team Bar winner overall.
CcTFktGWAAA2TuN.jpg

Oracle lacking the tactics to win the day...

CcTFyWMW4AAeOhQ.jpg

Well done to these guys though!

CcTFMs0W0AQlPIQ.jpg

I can't help it, but somehow it is surreal: Shirley R. and BA talking about these races as if they were in any way significant. :blink:

^ Team building, structures, logistics, coaching that's about all - but it will pay dividends later.

Gotta keep the sponsors happy and the gravy train rolling anyway.....

CcTKO39XIAA5Gbm.jpg

😓

These are ACWS races, even last cycle they were sailed "around the world".

Everything looks like Bermuda in June will be excellent, and much more interesting than consistent SF Bay.

^ ?

CcTFyWMW4AAeOhQ.jpg

Do you mean those were the results of last year?

Sorry, what's the question?

I have posted the final race points (France in 1st), the final overall for Oman (UK in 1st) and the updated overall standings for the (3 year long) ACWS (NZ in 1st place)

Alles klar?

I can't help it, but somehow it is surreal: Shirley R. and BA talking about these races as if they were in any way significant. :blink:

1+

Was biking this morning so though I'd watch the replay when I got home.

Turns out that there's no way to watch it, not through Fox Sports or the AC+ App.

I'm really thinking that they don't want any viewers, can't see any other explanation (besides complete incompetence).

^

Don't know if it helps, but there's a good replay of Day 1 (from Canal+) on catsailingnews

No offence to the Frenchies here, but I'm not sitting through 90 minutes of French commentary (and 480p in 2016?).

I can understand that :)

However Sebastien Col et Hélène's commentary is much better than the english one. Kilometers per hour...

No offence to the Frenchies here, but I'm not sitting through 90 minutes of French commentary (and 480p in 2016?).

However Sebastien Col et Hélène's commentary is much better than the english one. Kilometers per hour...

I do understand a little French, but not enough. I still hope they upload a version without the French voiceover.

And also on the first day, apparently the helmsman on the Kiwi boat was Nathan Burling...Amateur!

If LE/RC added a SUP series to the circus would you all be just as excited to follow

Would you pay to watch LongBeach Grand Prix racing through regular LA streets/traffic

what a whankfest regardless of who might win or not

GOD PLEASE Send the Cup off to ANYONE Else !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Pref NZL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Compared to the banal Read and his idiot sidekick, I rather enjoyed it.