Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caribbeachbum

Sydney-Hobart on TV in the USA: Seeking Advice

I'd really like to show the opening ceremonies and race out of the harbor in my Nashville pub. It was total failure last year, as no broadcast nor any internet stream would work. If anyone can advise on a source, I will cheerfully buy you a pint next time you stop in. I suspect that both the other ocean racing fans in Nashville will as well.

The tv station 7 runs a live feed but it could be a bit biased towards a boat with 7 on its sail. I have watched the 10 or so in NZ.

PM clean he'd be the most qualified person in to world to answer that question.

Last year you needed to use a Web Proxy to feign having an AUS IP Address. I would assume the same this year.

MS

There were actually two different pirate streams of it last year, none of them authored by us. I watch every year using a VPN. I'm sure we can sort something out this year...watch this space.

For the last two years they have promised no geo blocked coverage. Last year they did get their shit together and remove the geo block after the first 5-10 minutes (I like to think it was due to my threat on their FB page to report them for false advertising), but the band width caused a few issues with drop outs.

The 7 coverage is horribly biased towards the maxi's and then biased to wild oats within that group.

Seven have done some great all through the fleet coverage in the past, but the 5 minute block ratings show the majority switch off or over to elsewhere, this has not been helped by Oats domination & sponsor deals. :)

that won't apply to the demographic here

No offense to the other hundred entries, as I'd love to see a highlight reel of your run out through the Heads, but I'm tuning in from the other side of the planet to see the big guns go rocketing out of the harbor.

Go to this website https://www.goldenfrog.com/ Register, and pay for a month

Open the program they e-mail you, log into an australian server

Load this page and watch live.

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/live/

plus - you can now log into any countries free to air tv - bbc etc, and watch that free also using the VPN

i wonder why doing the free trial would be an issue? its only an hour and a half correct ? is that more than 500mb ?

7 coverage was accessible last year from NZ (no VPN) but there were ads every 5 minutes which were a real pisser.

that's just how channel 7 rolls...

Go to this website https://www.goldenfrog.com/ Register, and pay for a month

Open the program they e-mail you, log into an australian server

Load this page and watch live.

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/live/

plus - you can now log into any countries free to air tv - bbc etc, and watch that free also using the VPN

i wonder why doing the free trial would be an issue? its only an hour and a half correct ? is that more than 500m

You used the VPN?

or other method?

Unless someone in the US owns the rights, then you probably can't get sued by anyone, given it is free to air.

I tried ringing channel 7 months ago, and got the usual fuck around .

I should just stream it if they couldn't be bothered returning calls.

Hi Guys,

We got the trial streaming set up and running, and it works.

Now it comes down to the legality issue.....

PM people a link rather than just posting it widely here?

This article claims anyone worldwide will be able to watch it...

http://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/news/2009/pre-race/yahoo!7-to-live-stream-rolex-sydney-hobart-yacht-race/

"In addition to Seven Network's live television broadcast in Australia, anyone, in any country around the world will be able to watch the start of the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race provided they have a computer and broadband internet access from 12.30pm AEST until 2:00pm AEST."

This article claims anyone worldwide will be able to watch it...

http://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/news/2009/pre-race/yahoo!7-to-live-stream-rolex-sydney-hobart-yacht-race/

"In addition to Seven Network's live television broadcast in Australia, anyone, in any country around the world will be able to watch the start of the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race provided they have a computer and broadband internet access from 12.30pm AEST until 2:00pm AEST."

Check the date on that link...

america's cup TV model: Free until you really want it, then make it impossible to watch.

Stay near this thread and the front page. The moment we know it's available, the world will. We'll have Nic's stream as well I think.

My recolllection is the last couple years Yahoo7 has started the stream out for all, but when the demand outstrips bandwidth they cancel the global feed.

MS

On Television

The Seven Network will once again broadcast the start of the race live around Australia with the 90 minute program going to air from 12:30 AEDT with well known sports presenter Mark Beretta anchoring the commentary team.

Mark is the Sports Presenter on the Seven Network’s Sunrise program and has covered every summer and winter Olympic Games since Atlanta in 1996. He was the host of the Sydney 2000 telecast and is part of Seven's V8 Supercar commentary team. ‘Beretts’ has hosted the Rolex Sydney Hobart start once before and will be joined by Peter Shipway, who will act as the technical expert, in the commentary team.

Seven Sport’s commentary team will again be based at their outside broadcast headquarters at North Head, which is a prime location offering an expansive view from the start lines off Nielsen Park to coastline down to Bondi.

Over 80 production and technical personnel are involved to putting together the race start coverage. Covering the race is tricky and relies on numerous specialty cameras that are linked back to the main production facility using digital radio links.

Three helicopters and two chase boats track alongside the fleet. Two of these helicopters supply aerial footage whilst the third acts as a link platform, relaying close-up onboard footage from two of the yachts as the crew undertake pre-race manoeuvres and begin their race south. On top of this, two land based cabled cameras located at vantage points on North Head and South Head are incorporated into the coverage.

ABC TV will also be following the fleet down the eastern seaboard and provide all the inrace news footage that is used by the various Australian and International news networks.

Seven's live coverage begins from 12.30pm AEST Boxing Day and for the sixth year in a row, the event will also be webcast live via Seven's online partner Yahoo!7 worldwide.

On The Web

For those who can't get to watch the live broadcast of the start of the Race on the Seven Network across Australia, Yahoo!7 will webcast the program. You can also watch the same webcast on the home page of the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race website.

If you miss the live webcast, don't worry, our friends at Yahoo!7 will be making a replay available shortly after the live webcast concludes and will be available for the duration of the race.

The official race website www.rolexsydneyhobart.com is one of the most popular Australian sporting websites during the Christmas New Year holiday period and is your information portal for everything there is to know about the 628 nautical blue water classic.

Included on the website is the complete list of yachts entered, along with a photograph and description of each boat, a crew list, and the boat's performance data,predicted finishing time and standing for both Line Honours and Division which is updated every 10 minutes.

There's also archival data including results of past races since the first in 1945, the weather they encountered; a summary of line and overall handicap winners of those races; historical reports and statistical information; designers of those line and overall winners; and profiles of some of the race luminaries over the years.

You'll also be able to follow the event on twitter for race updates http://twitter.com/rshyr and via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/RolexSydneyHobart

Yacht Tracker

By far the most visited page of the website is the Yacht Tracker page, which allows viewers to track the entire fleet or a particular boat from start to finish. Yacht Tracker uses a specifically designed tool that calculates the predicted results for each and every boat in the fleet, so you can see how each boat is performing.

Each yacht will be fitted with a Yellowbrick tracker that will obtain a position using the GPS satellite network, and then transmit that position back to Yellowbrick HQ using the Iridium satellite network.

Each yacht's position is then visualised on the race yacht tracker map or overlaid on Google Earth. In addition, the yacht tracker system also shows distance to finish line and progressive corrected time positions under the IRC, ORCi and PHS handicap divisions

To do this, the CYCA equips each boat in the fleet with a Yellowbrick tracker, that automatically updates the yacht's latitude, longitude, course over ground and speed over ground - and transmits that information via satellite to a land station. From there, the data is transferred to the website, which shows in text and graphics each yacht's position in the fleet, its place relative to other boats and known geographic features, and the speed currently being achieved over the land, as well as the direction in which the boat is sailing.

Viewers may view the yachts on a chart through Yacht Tracker. Line honours and progressive corrected times under the IRC, PHS and ORCi handicap categories are updated every 10 minutes.

On Water

If you've got access to a boat then you can be on the water with the fleet for the start of the race. Spectator craft positioned in the eastern channel can watch the race begin and then follow the fleet down the harbour to the Heads and out to sea. Once underway the fleet can move fast, so if you want to catch the leaders sail through the Heads, it's advisable to get well down the harbour towards Middle Head before the start. At the Heads keep well clear of the rounding marks.

If you only plan on watching the start, and don't wish to follow the fleet, then stick to the western side of the harbour. Good vantage points for spectator boats include Taylors Bay, Chowder Bay, Obelisk Bay and North Head on the west and Rose Bay, Watsons Bay, Camp Cove and South Head to the east.

The harbour will be very crowded and traffic can be chaotic so stay alert, follow the advice of race officials and remember to keep well clear of the exclusion zone between 12pm and 2pm.

Limited spaces are also available on the CYCA official spectator vessels. Magistic II will be granted access to the exclusion zone close to all the on-water action. Tickets aboard the vessel are $199.50 per person and include canapes, light lunch, beverages and expert race commentary. Vessel departs from the CYCA marina at 11am and returns at approximately 2.30pm. John Cadman III will be departing from McKell Park Public Wharf, Darling Point at 11:30am and returning at 2:30pm. Ticket price includes finger food and lunch, dessert buffet and Tea & Coffee. Beverages - Beer, wine, champagne and soft drinks. Tickets on board the vessel are $120.00 per adult; $65.00 for children aged 5 – 12; children under 5 no charge.

To book your ticket on either vessel click here for more information

For further information please contact CYCA reception on +61 2 8292 7800 or email reception@cyca.com.au

sounds to me like it will be geo-restricted to oz again. So anyone who used an IP spoofer, weigh-in. What worked best for you?

Hola for Firefox has worked well for me, but I haven't used it in ages.

Anyone else?

I am optimistic I have a solution to the geo restrictions. It varies depending on your OS obviously. I installed VPN Unlimited (https://www.vpnunlimitedapp.com/). I tried installing the Windows 10 app, but it then asked me to install the stand alone version https://www.vpnunlimitedapp.com/downloadwin. VPN Unlimited is FREE for the first 10 days!!

You need to login. You can use Facebook or Google+ if you like.

Once it starts you can choose the server you are using. When I go to www.whatismyip.com it now shows me in Melbourne, Victoria, AUS.

One item of note - VPN Unlimited ONLY uses IPv4. You need to temporarily disable IPv6. How will depend on your OS.

In Windows 10 - Settings - Network & Internet - Scroll to the bottom. Select Change Adapter Options - Right Click on your active Connection - Choose Properties. Scroll to the bottom and uncheck "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).

I hope this helps
MS

Word I was given...untested or tried is go to Chrome and change your location to say Oz...grab local feed...could it be that easy?...then again I am technically impaired and believe anything I'm told...

Word I was given...untested or tried is go to Chrome and change your location to say Oz...grab local feed...could it be that easy?...then again I am technically impaired and believe anything I'm told...

How do you change your location setting??????

I used Hola on Chrome during the last AC to watch the YouTube feed of the races here in the US rather than listen to Jobson on NBC Sports. Worked well then, but haven't used it since.

2 helpers by my count. Mom pushing buttons, Dad wrangling interview guests.

The start of the race will be audio only. Restrictions on video, and not only technical ones.

(Btw. 260 viewers at this time as far as YT is concerned.)

Anything? At the in laws. Dying here. Need a stream.

...just twitter shots from syd-ho and sailorgirl. nothing live. 37:00 to go :unsure:

Guys I'm on the water but live coverage is not on for another 5 minutes.

Can't believe this is being covered and we can't see it.

I promise to buy some Wild Oats wine! :mellow::(

Tell them on Twitter - Rolex at least is fairly brand conscious

Just bought a new VPM for 40 bucks for a year. Now it looks good!

I am positive someone is recording this, and usually it shows up in a day or two.

Despite what was said on the Sydney-Hobart website the policy of preventing those in the US(and probably a lot of other places) from seeing the start apparently continues. Neither "Yahoo" or the SH website has any live video and the start is in 14 minutes.
Nic Douglas-Sailorgirl-is live on audio but with very low volume. Her previous show with live video was just excellent...

Just bought a new VPM for 40 bucks for a year. Now it looks good!

I am positive someone is recording this, and usually it shows up in a day or two.

...is that giving you a live view?

15 minutes to go

@dcbsheb Which link are you using?

Live stream up and running in Wisconsin, USA!

Thanks, MS

How?

VPN or troll.

How long do you figure it'll be before the video is available to people outside AUS? Like... a couple hours from now? Tomorrow? Next f'ing week?

Vpn working great here on my phone. Comanche is fucking ripping right now. Rambler showing great pace too.

Vpn working great here on my phone. Comanche is fucking ripping right now. Rambler showing great pace too.

privateinternetaccess.com is a good service. I recommend using VPN for everything.

Finally got it working download and install VPN unlimited. Fuckin Aussies

VPN Unlimited working from TN. Thanks for posting this, tried 4x fucking other VPNs - they must be garbage. Missed the whole damn start.

Finally got it working download and install VPN unlimited. Fuckin Aussies Seven and Rolex and race organisers

......fixed for accuracy :mellow:

Poor quality replay off the start is up:

Live stream up and running in Wisconsin, USA!

Thanks, MS

How?

VPN or troll.

Sorry. VPN. Used the link Mr. Squirrel posted earlier in the thread.

Saw the comment on the front page about a source saying 7 didn't have the resources to stream to the world - that is partially true but mostly a load of crap. In fact they don't have any resources at all, they were using Akamai for the stream - one if the biggest CDNs in the world who is estimated to account for a quarter of all Internet traffic. No doubt Akamai has the resources and server capacity to stream anywhere to anyone. The hard truth is 7 probably didn't have the monitary resources to pay for that. They would have to run more like 10 mins of commercials for every 1 min of content. I don't see why they don't work out some kind of pay stream, I think all of us foreigners complaining would have paid $25 to see it, certainly $5-10.

Saw the comment on the front page about a source saying 7 didn't have the resources to stream to the world - that is partially true but mostly a load of crap. In fact they don't have any resources at all, they were using Akamai for the stream - one if the biggest CDNs in the world who is estimated to account for a quarter of all Internet traffic. No doubt Akamai has the resources and server capacity to stream anywhere to anyone. The hard truth is 7 probably didn't have the monitary resources to pay for that. They would have to run more like 10 mins of commercials for every 1 min of content. I don't see why they don't work out some kind of pay stream, I think all of us foreigners complaining would have paid $25 to see it, certainly $5-10.

Bullshit, bandwidth is cheap these days.

And pirating the signal from the other side of the planet is a piece of cake these days, but if you saw the circa 1987 used car lot commercials they were running during the broadcast, it makes sense because Yahoo7 is just that far behind the times.

And pirating the signal from the other side of the planet is a piece of cake these days, but if you saw the circa 1987 used car lot commercials they were running during the broadcast, it makes sense because Yahoo7 is just that far behind the times.

I've seen the stream and the commercials that are run plenty of times in prior S-H's. Still calling bullshit. If Nic can somehow manage to run both a youtube stream (when she's allowed) and an audio stream with her parents and herself (And I believe a little help from you Clean?), the muppets at Yahoo7 can too.

I've seen the stream and the commercials that are run plenty of times in prior S-H's. Still calling bullshit. If Nic can somehow manage to run both a youtube stream (when she's allowed) and an audio stream with her parents and herself, the muppets at Yahoo7 can too.

I agree. It is BS.

Pure bandwidth ya, bandwidth on Akamai's servers? Not so much. All of the live streams I've been involved with consisted of prepurchased rates and overage rates. The former being cheapest, but you don't want to pay up front for 500,000 viewers and end up with 5,000. The latter being most expensive, so you really don't want to estimate 5,000 and end up with 500,000 either. I assume a network like 7 on a large scale has a good deal in place for their average use and may even have a good bit of padding available for special events domestically. I can guarantee you that Akamai would ding them for international additions and again for overages. Might be $10K, might be $500K. 7 isn't going to do it from their end - why spend the money for no return on foreign viewers for a domestic network? CYCA is who needs to push for it and figure out how to pay for it.

Pure bandwidth ya, bandwidth on Akamai's servers? Not so much. All of the live streams I've been involved with consisted of prepurchased rates and overage rates. The former being cheapest, but you don't want to pay up front for 500,000 viewers and end up with 5,000. The latter being most expensive, so you really don't want to estimate 5,000 and end up with 500,000 either. I assume a network like 7 on a large scale has a good deal in place for their average use and may even have a good bit of padding available for special events domestically. I can guarantee you that Akamai would ding them for international additions and again for overages. Might be $10K, might be $500K. 7 isn't going to do it from their end - why spend the money for no return on foreign viewers for a domestic network? CYCA is who needs to push for it and figure out how to pay for it.

500k would be plausible...... 15 years ago, but we're in 2015, akamai has a pile of competitors, and the more business they get the better.