Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

what is it

Hate to do this but it seems rather easy: drone by Seaways http://www.seaways.fr/#!produits/c1kas?

Little, water-borne multi-mission robot to take picture, record bathymetry, water quality etc.

Very nifty. Where is the sail?

+1 basically a bouy!

since it has a go pro mounted maybe it is the new judging boats for america's cup,

that way when it gets run over nobody gets hurt

Nah, it's the prototpe for the UpcominG Google waterbody charts mapping tool - like those cars zipping around town photographins streets, etc for Google map.

now another question: where is it?

Here you have a drone with sails http://www.sailbuoy.no/
IMG_4607_mod.jpg

We met this in the middle of the North Sea between Shetland and Norway during the Shetland Race 2014. We were quite shocked when we saw it and spent a lot of time looking for it online when we got ashore.

As this was a race we just saw it for 15 seconds and we were aiming quite high on the score board so turning around to study it was out of the options.
I contacted the guy running the company and he confirmed that the drone had been in that location at the same time as us.
We had heavy discussions on board during the last 20 hours of the race of what this could be and why it was there.
It samples data of currents, water quality etc. and can stay at sea for weeks or months transmitting data in real time.

You blew it Ed. Check out the Craigslist WTF thread, the true "What Is It" thread. A true mystery.

The official turd counter in Rio

Beat me to it!

This is what google map used for their street view pix in DT, and that is my Seawind in the back ground, only boat anchored there when google was there.

post-62823-0-82876300-1449814188_thumb.jpg

Matagi...a "Wall-e?" What is that. Seriously. Is it like a Walleye or shopper?

Thing is a bouy, fancy, but a bouy nontheless.

It drifts, it doesn't sail, so obviously Rimas' new ride.

While it is drifting it records data and bread crumbs so what the currents are doing is easier to understand.

41VUe6MLvIL.jpg

Memo to self: stop explaining jokes. better: stop making jokes altogether

I get it but had no clue...thanks.

Here you have a drone with sails http://www.sailbuoy.no/

IMG_4607_mod.jpg

We met this in the middle of the North Sea between Shetland and Norway during the Shetland Race 2014. We were quite shocked when we saw it and spent a lot of time looking for it online when we got ashore.

As this was a race we just saw it for 15 seconds and we were aiming quite high on the score board so turning around to study it was out of the options.

I contacted the guy running the company and he confirmed that the drone had been in that location at the same time as us.

We had heavy discussions on board during the last 20 hours of the race of what this could be and why it was there.

It samples data of currents, water quality etc. and can stay at sea for weeks or months transmitting data in real time.

How big is this one? I can't really tell from the photo.