Cement_Shoes

Interesting One-Design Classes only sailed in one area.

I am curious as to what one-design little legacy fleets are left around. Old designs and odd ducks that are still being banged around the buoys in boat for boat anger in only one or two locations.

For example Marblehead, Mass. has the Town class designed in 1932 and the oldest continous one design fleet in Marblehead.

town_class_line_dwg_208x280.gifbraun_fleet.jpg

okanagan lake has the largest fleet of santana 525s.

seems vancouver is the main location for martin 242s.

Down here on the Gulf Coast, for many years was the Fish Class. About 22', Chined Vee- hull somewhat like a Sunfish, fin keel like a Star, big gaff main and tiny jib. It was the main GYA boat until the 60s, when they adopted the Flying Scot.

Pics and a bit of history here:

http://www.spyc.org/files/2%20fishboats-web.pdf

There are also about 20 or so Martin 242’s in Marina del Rey/Redondo.

San Francisco has Birds and Knarrs; I think Knarr fleets also exist in Scandinavia. Folkboats are also located in SF and Europe.

Nantucket has Indians and Rainbows.

Then there are IOD’s, which are located in select fleets (WLIS, Northeast Harbor, Bermuda, SF, Nantucket and Europe).

IC 24’s are just in the US VI & BVI.

Tartan 10’s seem (at least these days) to have mostly ended up in Chicago.

Scows are in the MidWest, but also Central New Jersey.

There are A Class Catboats also in Central Jersey.

Tech Dinghies seem located mostly in Boston.

Moore 24's - San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Pacific North West

Express 27's - SF, PNW

Santa Cruz 27's - Santa Cruz, PNW

Santana 22's - Santa Cruz, Monterey, SF

Bear Boats - SF

Shields - Monterey

Atlantic 30's in near Niantic

Pearson Ensigns Northport / Centerport

Etchells Port Washington

Lehman 12s - SDYC & NHYC

naples Sabots - SoCal

Toronto - Gov Cup 21

Albacore- Albacore

Atlantic 30's in near Niantic

Etchells Port Washington

I think Etchells might have a slightly broader reach.

Moore 24's - San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Pacific North West

Express 27's - SF, PNW

Santa Cruz 27's - Santa Cruz, PNW

Santana 22's - Santa Cruz, Monterey, SF

Bear Boats - SF

Shields - Monterey

I didn't realize there was a left coast Shields fleet. Beautiful boats to watch.

Lehman 12s - SDYC & NHYC

naples Sabots - SoCal

Toronto - Gov Cup 21

Albacore- Albacore

The Gov Cup 21 that is from SoCal?? Interesting..

We have 3 BH 41's in Brisvegas now - having our own worlds next year. I am going to podium!

Tartan 10’s seem (at least these days) to have mostly ended up in Chicago.

And Detroit (includes Sarnia) and Cleveland. Basically southern Lake Michigan, Lk. St. Clair and Lake Erie.

Ensigns are also big on the west coast of Lake Michigan (Pentwater); Marquette, MI; Les Cheneaux Islands, MI; and Cleveland.

LOL Atlantics are all up and down LIS in places. So don't quialify for this--yet.

Ensings? Everywhere!

Etchessl. Up, as Snags says.

110s also don't count this way as tehy are sailed at Inverness, in Michagan, in CT and in New England. And hoepfully growing

210s also sailed mutlipe locs from New Englabnd to Gibson Island MD

Boothbay Harbor 1 desigbn

Winter Harbor Knockabout

(each in tehri respective locations)

What about Bar Harbor?

OH! How about the Chesapeake! Chesapeake 20--at West River still? using a star mast section?

Any Dusters left in the Delaware Valley?

Comets almost qualifty--I think they are pretty much just one small area of Chesapeake now? Used to be a predominant class in NJ/PA and strong in MD /DE/MA too.

How about Wianno Senior? Is that only in one place?

I would say Atlantics are on the cusp of qualifying. A few fleets within close to 100 miles of each other is localized.

Herreshoff S-Boats are getting close to that level. I like them with the extreme bend in the top of the mast.

Townies uses to be in RI and NH. The "nationals" were mostly Mass boats, mostly Mhead but also Newburyport (where Pert Lowell built them), Nahant and quanniipowitt. Excellent competition and talent, I raced them back in the '70s. So they'd fit the 100-mile rule.. Now I guess it's just Mhead.

I also raced 110s and IODs, Shieldses too. This thread is a trip down memory lane.

The Northern Michigans are particular to Little Traverse Bay on Lake Michigan (Harbor Springs, MI) 1934 about 27 built total.

TVM0714_WALLOON5.jpg

Detroit: Crescent sloop class association, first fiberglass one design (1953)

151287_f520.jpg

Trump probably wants them banned! :rolleyes:

Is cleane on that boate?

Ensigns are also big on the west coast of Lake Michigan (Pentwater); Marquette, MI; Les Cheneaux Islands, MI; and Cleveland.

A good sized fleet down here in Houston as well. Mostly terrifying.

Worlds first OD dinghy, the Water Wag

Worlds first OD keelboat, Howth 24

Still both going strong in Dublin.

A stack load if other OD classes in Ireland too...

Dublin Bay Mermaid

Shannon One Design

Ruffian

Puppeteer

The Glenn

Cork 1720

Theres even a fleet of E-Boats racing out of one club

Some British local ODs. Some exist only in one port/harbour, others have a few clubs in one relatively local area. E.g. XODs are from Chichester to Poole, in 5 different fleets.

Axe One Design
Belfast Lough One-Design Class
Brightlingsea One Designs – Essex
Broads One Design (Brown boats)
Conway Fife One Design
Conway One Design
Daring Class
Falcon One Design & Hilbre One Design
Foxers (Hamble)
Gareloch One Design
Lapwing class (Aldeburgh)
Norfolk 14-foot One-Design Dinghy
Royal Corinthian One Design – Essex
Salcombe Yawl
Seabird Half Rater
Sea View One Design
Sea View Mermaid
Solent Sunbeam (also in Falmouth with kitty gear rather than spinnakers).
St Mawes One Design
Swallow Class (National class , the winning keelboat design for the London '48 Olympics, but AFAIAA, only exists in any numbers in Chichester harbour)
Troy class
The Estuary One Design Class – Essex Yacht Club in Leigh-on-Sea
The Victory Class – Portsmouth
West Kirby Star
Wivenhoe One Design
X One Design – Solent
Yare and Bure One Design – Norfolk & Suffolk Broads
Yarmouth One Design (Isle of Wight)
Plus
Bembridge Redwing (restricted class, not OD).

Herreshoff 12 1/2s (aka Doughdishs) in Quisset Harbor (Falmouth, Cape Cod), MA not to mention the Wianno Sr.'s and Beetle Cats just up and down the coast.

post-8657-0-92863900-1450010337_thumb.jpg

post-8657-0-52280800-1450010615_thumb.jpg

post-8657-0-13384400-1450010625_thumb.jpg

Two Fleets of J27s Resurrected...New Orleans, LA & Oakville, ON/Canada

Compliments of a group of enthusiastic owners...a bunch of new core and a ton of epoxy

I'm biased into thinking S boats and Atlantics are everywhere. BEcaue they are "everywhere" I go sailing :-)

I grew up racing Atlantics, but I go anywhere outside of LIS and people say "What's that?" when I mention them.

They are wonderfully beautiful and classic boats. 30' OD of it's day.

phoca_thumb_l_kl-2013_nats-010.jpg

I'm biased into thinking S boats and Atlantics are everywhere. BEcaue they are "everywhere" I go sailing :-)

I grew up racing Atlantics, but I go anywhere outside of LIS and people say "What's that?" when I mention them.

They are wonderfully beautiful and classic boats. 30' OD of it's day.

phoca_thumb_l_kl-2013_nats-010.jpg

The first time I crewed for somebody who was not in my family was in an Atlantic- must have done OK because they kept inviting me back. They are fabulous boats, always had the idea I would get one some day.

FB- Doug

110's - Inverness Ca, Marblehead?

No active 110s or 210s in Marblehead anymore. There are a few of both in Boston Harbor, South Shore... Hull and Hingham.

LOL Atlantics are all up and down LIS in places. So don't quialify for this--yet.

Ensings? Everywhere!

Etchessl. Up, as Snags says.

110s also don't count this way as tehy are sailed at Inverness, in Michagan, in CT and in New England. And hoepfully growing

210s also sailed mutlipe locs from New Englabnd to Gibson Island MD

Boothbay Harbor 1 desigbn

Winter Harbor Knockabout

(each in tehri respective locations)

What about Bar Harbor?

OH! How about the Chesapeake! Chesapeake 20--at West River still? using a star mast section?

Any Dusters left in the Delaware Valley?

Comets almost qualifty--I think they are pretty much just one small area of Chesapeake now? Used to be a predominant class in NJ/PA and strong in MD /DE/MA too.

How about Wianno Senior? Is that only in one place?

Interesting to see someone reference a Boothbay Harbor One Design. If we're being specific, there are two other distinct variations in that part of the Midcoast... Hodgdon 21s and Christmas Cove 21s. There aren't many Hodgdons left, though one made the front page of SA a while back. Christmas Cove YC is pretty active with their summer series.

Log canoes are not OD, but only raced around the Eastern Shore.

I think we have the last remaining racing Comets in this area and a few in New Jersey maybe??? Could be wrong.

Log canoes are not OD, but only raced around the Eastern Shore.

I think we have the last remaining racing Comets in this area and a few in New Jersey maybe??? Could be wrong.

There used to be a Comet fleet in Bermuda. Are they still active?

We get about 30 Wianno Seniors on the line for the Scudder cup which is 3 weekend in July. They are also growing a small fleet over in Italy, I believe they have about 5-6 boats built over from some of the American molds.

Intercollegiate sailing began in 1936 with the MIT-designed, Herreshoff manufactured Tech Dinghy on the Charles River. Here is one of the original ones sailing that year.

0507_1865b_x220.jpg

These were sailed first on the Charles and later were adopted by some Midwestern schools. The MIT fleet now uses a sixth generation carbon fiber design. The sailing pavilion there still has one of the originals named Neutrino.

Intercollegiate sailing began in 1936 with the MIT-designed, Herreshoff manufactured Tech Dinghy on the Charles River. Here is one of the original ones sailing that year.

0507_1865b_x220.jpg

These were sailed first on the Charles and later were adopted by some Midwestern schools. The MIT fleet now uses a sixth generation carbon fiber design. The sailing pavilion there still has one of the originals named Neutrino.

Well, carbon fiber certainly puts the tech in Tech Dinghy!

0507_1865b_x220.jpg

Tech dingies were kinda cool in a weird way. Roll tacking in big spring breeze was always on the edge of a dump. The racing fleet was/is very competitive.

I just thought of another possibility. It is a catamaran---used to race at Stone Harbor? Or somehwere in NJ. pre-hobie cat type. Wooden brdge deck. Low aspect ratio fully battened eliptical main. What were tehy called? Not cougar? Something else?

Could be the Cougar - they were popular in the DC area and Chesapeake Bay:

01-cougar_start_a-540x401.jpg

Maybe the Sharks? (10 ft beam, hinge in the middle, only fleet still very active in Canandaigua, NY)

DSC_0003m.jpg

Down here on the Gulf Coast, for many years was the Fish Class. About 22', Chined Vee- hull somewhat like a Sunfish, fin keel like a Star, big gaff main and tiny jib. It was the main GYA boat until the 60s, when they adopted the Flying Scot.

Pics and a bit of history here:

http://www.spyc.org/files/2%20fishboats-web.pdf

Thanks for that! The boat I learned to race in-out of the Pensacola Yacht Club-early 60's.

110's - Inverness Ca, Marblehead?

Last summer my cousin and I were touring the breweries of Sonoma County and one day, while stopping to take photos along Tomales Bay, I commented, "There's something you don't see very often -- several 110s together!"

Then of course I had to explain that it was an old class not raced much any more.

Badger Techs (Tech will roll tanks) Madison, WI

Badger Sloops (sort of a bastardized InterLake) Madison think only 6 were built

Vanguard Volants- Milwaukee had a fleet- sold them, and a couple of college sailing teams had them.

The InterLake after a brief revival in the 1990s, I think would now fall into the class with 100 miles.

Udell 16s- still a few in Chicago don't know if they are or were sailed anywhere else.

Tumlarun-not first hand info, but was told there was still a fleet racing in northern Lake Michigan.

Y Flyer- originally developed as a scow like dinghy in Whitehall, Michigan. Not sure if they are still

sailed there. There was a fleet on Chippewa Lake Ohio, but I have no idea if it still exists.

Seashell class dinghies sailing on the inner lagoon of Groton Long Point, CT

seashellx.jpgseashell1.jpg

Vanguard Volants- Milwaukee had a fleet- sold them, and a couple of college sailing teams had them.

The InterLake after a brief revival in the 1990s, I think would now fall into the class with 100 miles.

Udell 16s- still a few in Chicago don't know if they are or were sailed anywhere else.

Tumlarun-not first hand info, but was told there was still a fleet racing in northern Lake Michigan.

Y Flyer- originally developed as a scow like dinghy in Whitehall, Michigan. Not sure if they are still

sailed there. There was a fleet on Chippewa Lake Ohio, but I have no idea if it still exists.

There might still be a fleet of Y-Flyers in inland South Carolina. They were popular all over the Southeast in the 60s and early 70s.

I am curious as to what one-design little legacy fleets are left around. Old designs and odd ducks that are still being banged around the buoys in boat for boat anger in only one or two locations.

For example Marblehead, Mass. has the Town class designed in 1932 and the oldest continous one design fleet in Marblehead.

town_class_line_dwg_208x280.gifbraun_fleet.jpg

Similar to our Jubilees, designed in 1934; fleets on Pittwater, Ballarat and Port Phillip. There was a fleet in Hong Kong and a few made their way to the PNW. J1 still sailing, J137 built last year.

post-60240-0-40213000-1450053405_thumb.jpg

I just thought of another possibility. It is a catamaran---used to race at Stone Harbor? Or somehwere in NJ. pre-hobie cat type. Wooden brdge deck. Low aspect ratio fully battened eliptical main. What were tehy called? Not cougar? Something else?

Shark by Rod Macalpine-Downey?

DSC_0106c.jpg

Edit-Hobie already got there

There might still be a fleet of Y-Flyers in inland South Carolina. They were popular all over the Southeast in the 60s and early 70s.

Yes- there were a few Y Fliers at Western Carolina Sailing Club when I was there last in 2010. None were active though.

Since you mention South Carolina, we should include the Sea Island One Design. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Island_One-Design

Watch Hill 15 raced out of Watch Hill, RI

6350895927_72acd0cd67_b.jpg

watchhill15-5994JBa.jpg

The boat in the bottom picture is different from the boats in the upper picture - as an example, the bottom pic boat has the jib on a boom and tacked to the stem.

watchhill15-5994JBa.jpg

The boat in the bottom picture is different from the boats in the upper picture - as an example, the bottom pic boat has the jib on a boom and tacked to the stem.

The bottom boat may be a restored vintage boat...note the reef points and narrow panel sailcloth. The upper boats appear modernized.... Taller mast, shorter boom, and headstay moved aft.

A good sized fleet down here in Houston as well. Mostly terrifying.

Also Ensigns at Dillon, Colorado.

Some British local ODs. Some exist only in one port/harbour, others have a few clubs in one relatively local area. E.g. XODs are from Chichester to Poole, in 5 different fleets.

Axe One Design
Conway Fife One Design
Conway One Design
Daring Class
Foxers (Hamble)
Gareloch One Design
Salcombe Yawl
Seabird Half Rater
Sea View One Design
Sea View Mermaid
St Mawes One Design
Swallow Class (National class , the winning keelboat design for the London '48 Olympics, but AFAIAA, only exists in any numbers in Chichester harbour)
Troy class
West Kirby Star
Wivenhoe One Design
X One Design – Solent
Plus

you missed the salcombe yawl

wpid-Photo-20140402094016.jpg

Dutch boats:

16 square meter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wloWBmbn1EY

Skutsje

Piraat.

post-17796-0-05029300-1450066511_thumb.jpg

Schakel

https://www.facebook.com/schakelklasse/videos/474838012557799/

post-17796-0-83897100-1450066758_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-91924600-1450066792_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-22209300-1450066816_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-26817600-1450066840_thumb.jpg
and yes... that used to be my youth boat.

Later I bought one of the most beautifull yachts in the world.

A dragon:

post-17796-0-47410500-1450067053_thumb.jpg

And I know a dragon is not a Dutch class

Axe One Design
Conway Fife One Design
Conway One Design
Daring Class
Foxers (Hamble)
Gareloch One Design
Salcombe Yawl
Seabird Half Rater
Sea View One Design
Sea View Mermaid
St Mawes One Design
Troy class
West Kirby Star
Wivenhoe One Design
X One Design – Solent
Plus

add the SKUA to that.

Similar to Flying 15,but designed for the Forth drying harbours, with a lifting keel

largely sailed out of North Berwick, i think.

A OD fleet in only one location that no one has mentioned yet is the Capri 25 up in Wayzata, MN. AFAIK, its the only active OD fleet of these boats.

image00.png

I have a soft spot in my heart for these. It was my first ever race boat I owned.....

Still a good few around the UK.

Yorkshire One Designs at Bridlington to name an example.

yandy66473.jpg

Beautiful boat! I was once up in Scotland on a week driving trip and stayed in Ft William for the night. The B&B we stayed at overlooked the Loch and I remember seeing a fleet of boats (proably 15-20) that looked similar to the above out racing just off the Ft William town front. I thought they were stunning and always wondered what kind of boat they were. This would have been around '95 if any one has a clue.

Sailed one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbre_One_Designin the 60's as a kid when we lived in Hoylake. Picked it up from windermere in the lake district. Can't remember the hull number but I doubt its still around. It was pretty rough back then. Kept it on a rolling dolly in back yard and rolled it to the beach to launch. Clinker built... I remember bailing a lot.

Shannon One Design...

Shannon-One-Design.jpg

The Water Wag...

wags125th.jpg

IDRA 14...

idra-2.jpg

Dublin Bay Mermaid...

113unac02.jpg

4ktsb of Dublin...

Shipman...

irel2.jpg

Puppetter 22...

7437.jpg

Ruffian...

d018_2967.jpg

E-Boat

Liffey08%20011.jpg

Chesapeake Bay has some Mobjack and Hampton One-Design fleets, dunno if they are anywhere else in any numbers.

Hamton O-D

225x.jpg?height=277&width=400

Mobjack

Sailboat1.jpg

Cork 1720

Not certain you can claim that as a local class. Quite a few fleets at one time.

watchhill15-5994JBa.jpg

The bottom boat may be a restored vintage boat...note the reef points and narrow panel sailcloth. The upper boats appear modernized.... Taller mast, shorter boom, and headstay moved aft.

The modern boats that are currently raced are fiberglass and were built post 1969. There are a few wooden ones built post-1920 still sailing AFAIK.

My understanding is the WH15s are variants of the Herreshoff designed Newport 15s and Buzzards Bay 15s

Chesapeake Bay has some Mobjack and Hampton One-Design fleets, dunno if they are anywhere else in any numbers.

Hamton O-D

Mobjack

Sailboat1.jpg

Trapezing looks just plain uncomfortable in that picture.

Norfolk Punt. Remarkably quick for a local traditional class.

062.jpg

Hamton O-D

Mobjack

Sailboat1.jpg

The Mobjack started out as a Thistle with sensible decks & self-bailing cockpit. My dad raced on for a while when the class was debating a trapeze. Guess it didn't help in the long run.

The Hampton is like a super-Comet, and never did catch on. I used to think of them as king-hell light air boats because they used to trounce the Thistles but it has been a long time since I've seen on sailing. They pop up on Craigslist once in a while. And yeah that's what trapeze belts were like back in the 1960s.

Norfolk Punt. Remarkably quick for a local traditional class.

062.jpg

WOW !!! now -that- is one sexy looking boat.

FB- Doug