Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greyhound37

Annapolis Yacht Club fire

Very serious fire at AYC going on now 14:00 12/12

Does not look good.

Fire department is very unorganized

Hoses all f'ed up

Smoke was wafting through with emergency boats in the water. Cam seems to be down now....

50 min after the first alarm and flames are visable out the north side windows. Lots of smoke. Looks like the fire dpt has it contained now. No sprinkler system? Something really caused that fire to spread quick. Curtains?

Sad to see, hopefully no injuries.

From twitter feed...

Fire at #Annapolis yacht club. Employee says everyone made it out safe. "Good thing it was today or that might not have been the case". According to her it was a fake Christmas tree that caused the fire.

Fire is out but still smoking and there seems to be extensive damage.

IMG_20151212_151232.jpg

I hear the EYC holiday lights parade will go on as scheduled tonight along Spa creek but no viewing from AYC.

Fire burns, smoke ruins, and the water used to put it all out destroys.

Absolutely devastating for AYC

Apparently the light parade is still on - it is organized by EYC

Just got an email that AYC frostbite is still on for tomorrow with the usual lunch stop mowed to EYC

Just like the St Francis YC in the 70s - burned to the ground from a Christmas tree fire

did the AYC not have fire sprinklers?

Just like the St Francis YC in the 70s - burned to the ground from a Christmas tree fire

did the AYC not have fire sprinklers?

I would think code would mandate sprinklers in a 'public' building with kitchen. IDK what happened.

Yeah the real tragedy is the cancellation of the light parade. As for AYC, glad to read no one was seriously hurt, but to bad I wasn't close by with some marshmallows.

WetHog :ph34r:

Building codes are fucked up. I can say with certainty, if the fire sprinkler system was in working order,(Valves open) the fire would have never gotten to the state seen in the pictures. 2 sprinkler heads activate, max. Minimal water damage, almost zero fire damage. Back open by next weekend.

Building codes are fucked up.

The Life Safety Code regulates sprinkler systems, not the Building Code and the focus of the LSC is preservation of life, not property. These Codes mandate minimal standards.

Wow; just saw this. Busy watching Army Navy game. Damn, this sucks for those that work there.

There was a lights parade of sorts along city dock. I hear the clubhouse may be out of commission for a year or more. Sad event on an unusually warm and beautiful day.

I had lunch there two days ago. o.O

As much as I find the place stuffy and elitist, it had some class. Based on those pictures, total loss. All those trophies and ship models :(

Wonder where the finish line for frostbite will be tomorrow....

The club was closed preparing for the parade of lights when the fire started. Eastport YC did not cancel the parade of lights. The mayor made that call.

Very sad to see the club gutted like that. All the support staff out of work 2 weeks before Christmas.

I just read from a local report that AYC did NOT have a sprinkler system.....I guess when you have that much pull under one roof ....mindboggling

Sure. Blame it on the Christians.

Ok, it was a wasp nest that caught fire

I just read from a local report that AYC did NOT have a sprinkler system.....I guess when you have that much pull under one roof ....mindboggling

If not, then in all likelihood fire suppression was not required by Code. Whether it would have been a good idea is another matter.

Sure. Blame it on the Christians.

Ok, it was a wasp nest that caught fire
I guess little chance of Jewish lightning ?

Annapolis did not require sprinklers back in the day. More than one bad fire resulted from that.

This is not a "back in the day" issue. The Fire Marshal is the Authority Having Jurisdiction and it is the Fire Marshal who will be responsible for the investigation and determination of cause.

Yes it is and this has been an ongoing issue. Buildings were not required to have sprinkler systems when the club was built. Efforts to require them to be retrofitted to existing buildings ran right into the historic preservation issues with tearing up the ancient woodwork to install the fire sprinklers. Not that AYC was a historic building, but the issues were much more complicated than a place with all 20th century construction. This is the 2nd or 3rd major fire I can recall where sprinklers would have saved the day but were not installed.

Annapolis did not require sprinklers back in the day. More than one bad fire resulted from that.

This is not a "back in the day" issue. The Fire Marshal is the Authority Having Jurisdiction and it is the Fire Marshal who will be responsible for the investigation and determination of cause.

There is a lot of history up in smoke including a half model of our boat Whiskers that was front and center at the second deck bar. AYC was a focal point of my family's life for over 30 years. Hopefully the Skipjack will not be lost forever.

Hopefully the Skipjack will not be lost forever.

It'll buff out. The first deck looks like it was spared short of getting soaked.

Typical stupid front page comment... "Who knows? Maybe the waterfront will be improved by a landmark's burning down?

Like saying "Who knows? Maybe the neighborhood would be nicer if Ed+Clean's houses burned down... who knows?"

A great shame, had good memories of sailing from there years ago.

Ed and Clean - you know this means no paychecks for Christmas for a lot of people, right?

From what Ed and Clean put on the FP since you clearly didn't read it:

A lot of good people will be out of work for a long time

Typical stupid front page comment... "Who knows? Maybe the waterfront will be improved by a landmark's burning down?

Like saying "Who knows? Maybe the neighborhood would be nicer if Ed+Clean's houses burned down... who knows?"

In a town like Annapolis, with a number of prominent buildings that date back to the founding of this country, A yacht club built in 1963 is not a landmark.

The governor, county executive, and mayor all promised to help. There will be alternate venues for scheduled events and clubmembers during the rebuild and, probably, many employees will have jobs during the interim.

The governor, county executive, and mayor all promised to help. There will be alternate venues for scheduled events and clubmembers during the rebuild and, probably, many employees will have jobs during the interim.

The Governor, county exec and mayor all want to keep their jobs. A lot of important people belong to the AYC.

Sad. I bet there's some talk of sprinklers now.....

You cannot even build a private home today without the city requiring fire sprinklers in Annapolis

it is a stupid and unnecessary comment.

they have a belief - shared by many posters - that the main "problem" with sailboat racing is that rich people like to do it.

according to this belief, rich people should not have clubs with nice (expensive) facilities, high levels of service, and dress codes.

and, if they won't stop having these clubs.., then sailboat racing would be better off if these people just stopped sailing.

who knows? maybe they are correct..., but i doubt it.

Clean,

Stuffy and Eliteist is bull, let see:

120 volunteers who go out every week, every wendsday and for frost bite freeze thier butts of so we can all push around a race course, having a good time. they get the pleasure of 4-6 hours standing around, hot sweaty, rolling on little boats, hauling flags and horns, stannding in the rain and cold, beating down sun...all so you can pop in to town, have a quich round the bouyies with some elitist stuffy owner

Then you pen a few crabby snarky comments , be served cold drinks and a free meal or three (and a great meal at that) and bang off a few more pithy comments about how the wind is fluky and your Eurotrash racing with the aristcratic eastern neo-billionares in the med and asian-techno pirates is sooo much better.

So are the volunteers, the stuffy and elite..in thier sweat stained shirts and saltstained weathered faces?

How about those back of the boat owners, who asked you and your friends and thier friends, and paid the pros, and built the boats.. are they the stuffy elitist,?

Who's the stuffy eliteist here??

So we've got 150 dedicated, very loved and hard working AYC staff who we need to take care of while the place gets fixed, people who help you make your whole work possible here in Annapolis, and in a hundred clubs around the world, people without whom your whole business would be impossible, and are they stuffy and elitist? Did one of them give you any hard time..ever? I've never met one who was not a gem...

Must be the Members then, perhaps a long time member who remenbered the old days....

Ok I thought met one..

a guy who spent the last 65 years doing race committie, keeping the club afloat when times were tough and generally dedicated his time, lefe and resources, and his family did too, to junior sailing, race commitiee and to making AYC part of the greater comminity... but I was wrong, he like the othe men and women, just knew thier stuff. Funny how experiance and dedication can seem...elitist when you bow through without bothering to care.

So when its a really tough time, the fire has damaged the club building and the prospect for stability for the racing community, Annapolis as a whole, the members and most imporatntly all our AYC satff and junior sailing commuity, we are all pulling together. as a community.except..

so I ask again...whose above it all..

You guys really like to spend time arguing with idiots. Keep it up. Good for the post count!

They didn't have sprinklers but they do have insurance. I was in Southern YC yday. These places have a tendency to rebuild. Even the fantastic duplication of the Seawanhaka Chalenge Cup Trophy! Hopefully The staff will collect unemployment and find temp jobs, then return. The Worst things lost are the trophies and models.

Clean,

Saw some anecdotes, passed over them. Stuffy and elitist is how it always felt to me, as I wrote. Opinions clearly differ.

And no, I have never eaten or drank a single thing at AYC, free or otherwise, and no, none of your '150 people' have never helped me or Sailing Anarchy cover any event in Annapolis. The much nicer, much more down-to-earth folks at Eastport Yacht Club helped me the tiny handful of times we wanted to cover things in what has been voted by the Melges 24 Class as the 'worst bay for a world championship'.

The couple of times I walked into AYC, I turned around and walked out a few minutes later. Not really my cup of tea. Hopefully they will build a new club that is better suited to downtown Annapolis. Something that allows waterfront access to the public or incorporates some kind of community sailing program would show some farsightedness from a club better known for blue blazers.

Clean,

120 volunteers who go out every week, every wendsday and for frost bite freeze thier butts of so we can all push around a race course, having a good time. they get the pleasure of 4-6 hours standing around, hot sweaty, rolling on little boats, hauling flags and horns, stannding in the rain and cold, beating down sun...all so you can pop in to town, have a quich round the bouyies with some elitist stuffy owner

Then you pen a few crabby snarky comments , be served cold drinks and a free meal or three (and a great meal at that) and bang off a few more pithy comments about how the wind is fluky and your Eurotrash racing with the aristcratic eastern neo-billionares in the med and asian-techno pirates is sooo much better.

So are the volunteers, the stuffy and elite..in thier sweat stained shirts and saltstained weathered faces?

How about those back of the boat owners, who asked you and your friends and thier friends, and paid the pros, and built the boats.. are they the stuffy elitist,?

So we've got 150 dedicated, very loved and hard working AYC staff who we need to take care of while the place gets fixed, people who help you make your whole work possible here in Annapolis, and in a hundred clubs around the world, people without whom your whole business would be impossible, and are they stuffy and elitist? Did one of them give you any hard time..ever? I've never met one who was not a gem...

Must be the Members then, perhaps a long time member who remenbered the old days....

Ok I thought met one..

a guy who spent the last 65 years doing race committie, keeping the club afloat when times were tough and generally dedicated his time, lefe and resources, and his family did too, to junior sailing, race commitiee and to making AYC part of the greater comminity... but I was wrong, he like the othe men and women, just knew thier stuff. Funny how experiance and dedication can seem...elitist when you bow through without bothering to care.

So when its a really tough time, the fire has damaged the club building and the prospect for stability for the racing community, Annapolis as a whole, the members and most imporatntly all our AYC satff and junior sailing commuity, we are all pulling together. as a community.except..

This post only reinforces Clean and Ed's FP post.

Well done.

Lets keep things in perspective. No one died and no one died. The building will be rebuilt by the Stuffy Elite and the Annapolis Sailing Community will live on.

Clean,

Saw some anecdotes, passed over them. Stuffy and elitist is how it always felt to me, as I wrote. Opinions clearly differ.

And no, I have never eaten or drank a single thing at AYC, free or otherwise. The couple of times I walked in there, I turned around and walked out a few minutes later. Not really my cup of tea. Hopefully they will build a new club that is better suited to downtown Annapolis. Something that allows waterfront access to the public or incorporates some kind of community sailing program would show some farsightedness from a club better known for blue blazers.

I share your opinion, Clean. As do others.

You guys really like to spend time arguing with idiots. Keep it up. Good for the post count!

They didn't have sprinklers but they do have insurance. I was in Southern YC yday. These places have a tendency to rebuild. Hopefully The staff will collect unemployment and find temp jobs, then return. The Worst things lost are the trophies and models.

i was bored...

but later this afternoon i am going to go down to my elitist club - where members can't wear t-shirts in the dining room, and sometimes - believe it or not - a jacket is required

i will probably hang out with other elitist snobs.., doing even more irreparable harm to the sport of sailboat racing...

I haven't been to AYC. Been to many other 'elitist' clubs. To be sure, there were a few snobs. But the majority of members were nice, and gracious hosts. Employees were hardworking, polite, and eager to help with any problem or questions posed to them. I've had YC members have me as guests in their homes, help with boat, give directions (or even drive me) to store for parts, and even share local knowledge. I've done the same to guest sailors here. It's just being nice, and a part of being part of the sailing community.

I agree, Clean's unnecessary comment is a greater reflection on him than on AYC.

I agree, Clean's unnecessary comment is a greater reflection on him than on AYC.

If you have never been to AYC how do you know?

If you look through the photos at this article, you can see that it looks like most of the models survived though I am sure some did not..

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/annapolis/ph-ac-cn-yacht-club-fire-1214-20151213-story.html

Sadly the models shown in the Capital movie are models from the 1st deck, and there were only a few of those (Merrythought, Running Tide, America). 90+% of the models/half hulls were on the 2nd deck which was burned badly

Commodore Jabin was correct. It's just a building. The community is intact and resilient. We will rebuild.

Still, loss of the memorabilia, the trophies, the original burgee, the half hulls and the original art on the 2nd and 3rd decks is very sad.

they have a belief - shared by many posters - that the main "problem" with sailboat racing is that rich people like to do it.

You are not particularly good at summing up others' beliefs. Let me help you:

We have a belief that the stewardship of the sport over the past few decades by yacht clubs has been responsible in large part for the massive downward trend in sailing and especially racing participation since the late '70s. Hundreds of yacht clubs have almost universally ignored the first line of their club governing documents - you know, the part that refers to 'fostering sailing' and so on - in order to provide better menus, nicer dining facilities, prettier pools, and nicer berths for the loudest and/or richest of their members rather than better club boats, better learn-to-sail programs, better drysail facilities, and more access for more people - things that would actually grow membership and racing in the region rather than just increase revenue or prestige.

It's not just the yacht clubs - there are two other major players in the collapse of competitive sailing in the USA.

First is the industry, which, in the US at least, has been pushing bigger and bigger boats for years rather than things that add sailors - customers - to the sport for the long term. The industry-funded initiatives are pathetic and woeful. Instead of building a coalition that can raise millions to promote the sport like the ski industry or the fishing industry have done so well, they fund a breakfast where they can all circle-jerk each other once a year (around the corner from AYC, no less) and do nothing. And on one has forced top level professional sport to contribute to the future either, something routinely done by most major sports.

The final offender along with yacht clubs and the industry's major players is the sponsorship environment, where the world's most significant corporate sponsor in the sport has ultimate goals that diametrically oppose those of the sport. In other words, Rolex's specific goal is to make sailing look as exclusive as possible in the TV, magazine, newspaper, and billboard ads they run throughout the world - ads which find significantly more public exposure than anything else in sailing. To Rolex, sailing should always look like a sport for only the wealthiest, best-looking white men, perhaps with a waifish chick lounging about nearby.

Unfortunately, according to statistics from US Sailing and surveys done by Nick Hayes, that perception of wealth, lack of access, and exclusion has settled in on America (and much of the world), and is one of the top answers cited by non-sailors when asked why they do not sail.

Rolex has been killing off sailing one regatta at a time for decades, and yacht clubs have been doing it for even longer. At many YC's, younger commodores and boards are slowly changing things, and there are a couple of people in the industry (like Bill Goggins at Harken and Lou Sandoval at Beneteau Chicago) who are trying a few things, but nothing's changing at Rolex, that's for sure.

They didn't have sprinklers but they do have insurance. I was in Southern YC yday. These places have a tendency to rebuild. Hopefully The staff will collect unemployment and find temp jobs, then return. The Worst things lost are the trophies and models.

i was bored...

but later this afternoon i am going to go down to my elitist club - where members can't wear t-shirts in the dining room, and sometimes - believe it or not - a jacket is required

i will probably hang out with other elitist snobs.., doing even more irreparable harm to the sport of sailboat racing...

Jesus. Me too. Holy shit. We're snobs !! I'm so fuckin sorry I bought a little blue blazer for my son when he was 5 to wear to church and the club. He's a snob! And I own like three of them !

How many cool boats has mr clean been invited on by owners who own blue blazers and haven't donated waterfront property for a comminity sailing program? I bet a few.

Shit. He may be a snob too!

We have a belief that the stewardship of the sport over the past few decades by yacht clubs has been responsible in large part for the massive downward trend in sailing and especially racing participation since the late '70s. Hundreds of yacht clubs have almost universally ignored the first line of their club governing documents - you know, the part that refers to 'fostering sailing' and so on - in order to provide better menus, nicer dining facilities, prettier pools, and nicer berths for the loudest and/or richest of their members rather than better club boats, better learn-to-sail programs, better drysail facilities, and more access for more people - things that would actually grow membership and racing in the region rather than just increase revenue or prestige.

It's not just the yacht clubs - there are two other major players in the collapse of competitive sailing in the USA.

First is the industry, which, in the US at least, has been pushing bigger and bigger boats for years rather than things that add sailors - customers - to the sport for the long term. The industry-funded initiatives are pathetic and woeful. Instead of building a coalition that can raise millions to promote the sport like the ski industry or the fishing industry have done so well, they fund a breakfast where they can all circle-jerk each other once a year (around the corner from AYC, no less) and do nothing. And on one has forced top level professional sport to contribute to the future either, something routinely done by most major sports.

The final offender along with yacht clubs and the industry's major players is the sponsorship environment, where the world's most significant corporate sponsor in the sport has ultimate goals that diametrically oppose those of the sport. In other words, Rolex's specific goal is to make sailing look as exclusive as possible in the TV, magazine, newspaper, and billboard ads they run throughout the world - ads which find significantly more public exposure than anything else in sailing. To Rolex, sailing should always look like a sport for only the wealthiest, best-looking white men, perhaps with a waifish chick lounging about nearby.

Unfortunately, according to statistics from US Sailing and surveys done by Nick Hayes, that perception of wealth, lack of access, and exclusion has settled in on America (and much of the world), and is one of the top answers cited by non-sailors when asked why they do not sail.

Rolex has been killing off sailing one regatta at a time for decades, and yacht clubs have been doing it for even longer. At many YC's, younger commodores and boards are slowly changing things, and there are a couple of people in the industry (like Bill Goggins at Harken and Lou Sandoval at Beneteau Chicago) who are trying a few things, but nothing's changing at Rolex, that's for sure.

The dues, etc, paid by the knife and forkers go a long way towards paying for the facilities the sailors use...docks, hoists, launches, RC boats, Mark boats, and junior sailing programs (which are often open to non-members kids). And at fundraising time, such as replacing a club-owned fleet or an Olympic campaign, they are by far the big contributors.

While it's fair to criticize certain aspects of the sport, its not helpfull to bite the hand that feeds us.

I read Ram's Head has promised to employ displaced AYC employees. A grand gesture.

Will dig up the link and post it, when I can.

i was bored...

Jesus. Me too. Holy shit. We're snobs !! I'm so fuckin sorry I bought a little blue blazer for my son when he was 5 to wear to church and the club. He's a snob! And I own like three of them !

How many cool boats has mr clean been invited on by owners who own blue blazers and haven't donated waterfront property for a comminity sailing program? I bet a few.

Yeah, but none of them fit.

Try sewing them all together

I read Ram's Head has promised to employ displaced AYC employees. A grand gesture.

Will dig up the link and post it, when I can.

From the Annapolis Partnership FB page -

"We are happy to welcome AYC employees to join the Rams Head family at any of our locations, for as long as they need. We can find a way to work them into our schedules. Please have them email careers@ramsheadgroup.com."

Also not a fan of the dig to get members to join SSA.

Pretty fucked up on SA's part.

Clean,

Ok I thought met one..

Clean,

And no, I have never eaten or drank a single thing at AYC, free or otherwise, and no, none of your '150 people' have never helped me or Sailing Anarchy cover any event in Annapolis. The much nicer, much more down-to-earth folks at Eastport Yacht Club helped me the tiny handful of times we wanted to cover things in what has been voted by the Melges 24 Class as the 'worst bay for a world championship'.

The couple of times I walked into AYC, I turned around and walked out a few minutes later. Not really my cup of tea. Hopefully they will build a new club that is better suited to downtown Annapolis. Something that allows waterfront access to the public or incorporates some kind of community sailing program would show some farsightedness from a club better known for blue blazers.

so sick of clean and all his elitist shit. the more i read anything on this site, the more respect i lose for him and the site.

i was bored...

Ditto all that. I quite frankly couldn't believe the "Who Knows" statement when I first read it yesterday. Zero class.

It kind of makes a man look really small to get a few kicks in when one of the local flagship YC's - one that sponsors and runs a lot of senior and youth sailing activities - loses their clubhouse. Conspicuous proletarianism is just as big of a bit of snobbery as elitism, maybe moreso because it actually takes some goods to run big boats fast, operate a bunch of race series, sponsor a lot of youth sailing and keep up on substantial club dues (to pay for all that nice stuff), whereas any old asshole can stand outside the tent and piss in.

I've always had good experiences in AYC events, they're well run, and my limited dealings with AYC members have been fine, they're just fellow sailors, many of whom give back in large quantities. I wish them well and hope they get their refurb'ed clubhouse up and running soon.

The AYC heard that Clean was coming and took the radical but necessary action.

i was bored...

Ditto all that. I quite frankly couldn't believe the "Who Knows" statement when I first read it yesterday. Zero class.

Agreed. It sad. I wish i would have read something such as: here's a link to see how you can help.

Karma's a bitch...

i was bored...

its a god damn private yacht club. They can require whatever they want. Good for them. if you dont like it, start your own club.

The dues, etc, paid by the knife and forkers go a long way towards paying for the facilities the sailors use...docks, hoists, launches, RC boats, Mark boats, and junior sailing programs (which are often open to non-members kids). And at fundraising time, such as replacing a club-owned fleet or an Olympic campaign, they are by far the big contributors.

While it's fair to criticize certain aspects of the sport, its not helpfull to bite the hand that feeds us.

This.

Always made a point of a couple of rounds of drinks and food at the club that hosted or even the local clubs at times. It all helps the cash flow for the clubs, like it or not? Clubs need wealthy and enthusiastic members.

i was bored...

its a god damn private yacht club. They can require whatever they want. Good for them. if you dont like it, start your own club.

And that as well.

Substantial and historic club suffers a bad fire that almost certainly will require a full tear-down and probably represents an "End of an Era" type of event.

Yeah, that makes it a perfect opportunity to drag out your soapbox and slam the club and an un-associated event sponsor for everything that has happened in the sport not to your liking for the past 40 years.

However right your point about Yacht Clubs and the sport might be, conflating the two events is a Dick Move of a high order.

Stopped by AYC when I was at the boat show in October. Four of us had drinks and snacks on the balcony. Club and people could not have been nicer. I wish them a speedy recovery.

I'm more surprised that Clean managed to string together 3 semi-coherent sentences...

yes but his self-righteousness is unmatched
Losers like Flathead and Clean that haven't built, achieved, donated, managed, or owned anything substantial like Houses, yachts, careers, families, clubs, traditions, find it easy shit on the 'establishment' types that have, and their institutions and traditions. They're remoras along for the ride.