Sign in to follow this  
MidPack

Completed Evolution of the Super Mac - now pictures of winning boats?

After 5 months of digging, and thanks to many here who helped provide leads, I believe I have the history of "the longest (recurring) freshwater race on earth" - recently known as the Super Mac on Lake Michigan-Huron. A summary appears below.

I am now trying to gather up pictures of all the winners in action (from any race). What I have so far appears in subsequent posts below.

• I have a picture of the 1981 winning Peterson 34 Cadence coming from the owner.
  • I have not found any pictures of the 1985 winning J/35 Double Digits or the 2009 winning NM-46 Natalie J (plenty of the TP52).
  • And better pics of any I have below would be most welcome.

I plan to post this on Facebook and offer it to a few other Lake Michigan sailing sites (unpaid).

If any of you can help, I would be most grateful.

post-301-0-19571900-1450103832_thumb.jpg

First winner in 1975, Scaramouche, and I am not certain this is the right one - a Frers 54?

post-301-0-02899300-1450104081_thumb.jpg

1977 winner, Sassy (later Brassy), again I am not certain this is the right one - a custom C&C 52? I have found many pics of the later 78' Maxi Sassy.

post-301-0-37733600-1450104203_thumb.jpg

1987, IOR Winner, Moody Blue, Van Dam/NM-36. I am missing the IMS winning J/35 Double Digits.

post-301-0-65045600-1450104432_thumb.jpg

1977 winner, Sassy (later Brassy), again I am not certain this is the right one - a custom C&C 52? I have found many pics of the later 78' Maxi Sassy.

It was a C & C 61. Great job on rooting all this out!

It was a C & C 61. Great job on rooting all this out!

Right, sorry!

First winner in 1975, Scaramouche, and I am not certain this is the right one - a Frers 54?

I am almost positive this is Scaramouche II, a Frers 45/46. So I don't have a picture of Scaramouche I, a Frers 54...

Not being really familiar with these races, how is Super Mac defined? Chi to Mac and then to Huron? Do competitors finish the first leg then have a new start for the second?

Not being really familiar with these races, how is Super Mac defined? Chi to Mac and then to Huron? Do competitors finish the first leg then have a new start for the second?

Right or wrong I am including any yacht club organized race that started from Chicago and finished in Port Huron or Sarnia, or vice versa. All of them were run as "extensions" of the better known annual CYC Race to Mackinac or Bayview Mac, with competitors crossing the finish lines of those races and continuing on to Port Huron/Sarnia or Chicago - in fact Super Mac competitors were/are required to also enter the CYC or BYC Mac races. There is no new start, and the elapsed time for the Super Mac is the total time (not just the 'second leg'). Competitors are eligible for the 'shorter annual Macs' and the "Super Mac" races in those years - and some have won both in their winning years.

Only the last two were officially called Super Mac races, though the 2000 Millennium Race was also unofficially called a Super Mac in newspapers at the time (IOW, the first reference to the term I know of). The first race in 1975 was called the Centennial Race, and the 1977 thru 1989 races were evidently commonly referred to as the "Sarnia Race" though officially called the "Chicago-Sarnia International Yacht Race" at the time. All noted in post #1 attachment.

Not ideal, but a better picture than the one above of the C&C 61 Sassy (as Brassy under a subsequent owner). Hopefully I will find a better picture of her as Sassy...

post-301-0-57429300-1450113459_thumb.jpg

A poor pic, but the only one I've found of the first Scaramouche a Frers 54, winner of the 1975 Centennial Race among other wins.

post-301-0-05278000-1450114111_thumb.jpg

There have been a few minor corrections to the original summary doc in post #1, so it's still not quite ready for publication. I'll do one final update after I've allowed a day or two for others to comment...

This looks like the Frers 45 that he (Chuck Kirsch) had in the early 80's (co-owned w/Jack Batts for while).

OK, final version as complete as I can get it (I'm going to stop looking...). I have supporting documentation for all of it, and I've managed to find pics for all but one of the winning boats in action. Those will be published on our YC website.

Done...thanks again to all who helped!

post-301-0-97230700-1450195720_thumb.png

I suspect no one will ever get to this, but here's the long version, that I hope to create a wiki page for.

THE EVOLUTION OF THE “LONGEST FRESHWATER RACE ON EARTH”

The Super Mac is a non-periodic 568 mile (about 500 nautical miles) sail race from Chicago, IL to Port Huron, MI, or vice versa. Recent editions have been jointly sponsored by the Chicago Yacht Club, Bayview Yacht Club and Port Huron Yacht Club.

As of 2015, there have been 10 "Super Mac" sail races since 1975 of roughly 500 nautical miles. However, only the last 2 races were officially known as Super Mac sail races. Earlier editions varied slightly in name, start & finish locations, courses have evolved over many years as have the sponsoring yacht clubs, and only recently has the race actually been officially known as the "Super Mac."

The Super Mac has been run as an extension of the annual Chicago Race to Mackinac, with boats continuing directly on to Port Huron after crossing the Mackinac finish line, OR an extension of the annual Bayview Mackinac Race, with boats continuing directly on to Chicago after crossing the Mackinac finish line. For many decades, the Chicago and Bayview Mackinac races have been held one week apart, Chicago first and then Bayview in odd years, and Bayview first then Chicago in even years.

History

1975: The 1st Race - Port Huron, MI to Chicago, IL

The 1st race was known as the “Centennial Race” to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Chicago Yacht Club. The 1st race was the longest at 632 miles due to rounding Cove Island, and began in Port Huron, MI on Saturday, July 19, 1975, finishing in Chicago. All participants first competed in the annual Bayview Mackinac Race, and after crossing the Mackinac finish line continued on directly to Chicago. The race turned into a long wait on Wednesday night with only 8 of the starting field of 160 yachts finishing before dark.

Chuck Kirsch’s Scaramouche, a Frers 54 from Chicago Yacht Club, was the overall winner on corrected time. Lynn Williams’ Dora IV, a Sparkman & Stephens 61 footer, was the first to finish in 104.006 hours. Dora IV was followed across the finish line by Frank Zurn’s Kahili II, W. Bernard Herman’s Bonaventure V, G. Craig Welch’s Ranger, Scaramouche, Phil Watson’s Namis, Joe Wright’s Siren Song and Don Wildman’s Heritage, a 12-Metre.

1977 through 1989: The 2nd through 7th Races - Chicago, IL to Sarnia, ONT

The 2nd race in 1977 was the inaugural year for the new “Chicago-Sarnia International Yacht Race” from Chicago on Lake Michigan, through the Straits of Mackinac, and then south on Lake Huron to Sarnia, ONT. Sponsored by the Sarnia Yacht Club, the Bayview Yacht Club and the Chicago Yacht Club, the 572 mile race started on July 16, 1977 concurrently with the annual Chicago Race to Mackinac.

E. Russell “Dutch” Schmidt’s Sassy, a custom C&C 61 from Bayview Yacht Club, was first to finish and the overall winner in just over 74 hours. Sassy crossed the finish line almost 8½ hours ahead of the second boat in the fleet of 55. Other early finishers were Don Wildman’s Heritage, Justin Goldman’s Sliv, Robert Beck’s Piranha, Encounter and J.L. Shostak’s Fujimo. In Section 2 first place went to Nils Muench’s Moonraker, and in section 3 first place went to the NYYC Syndicate’s Agnes.

The 3rd race in 1981 was won overall (corrected time) by Ted Reese’s Cadence, a Peterson 34 from Michigan City Yacht Club. Cadence finished 26th in a fleet of 38 boats with an elapsed time of 93:24.41. Next best on corrected time were Dick Jenning’s Real Crude, Nils Muench’s Moonraker and Don Wildman’s Heritage (first to finish)

The 4th race in 1983 was won overall by Don Wildman’s Heritage, a Charles Morgan 63’ 12-Metre from Chicago Yacht Club. The first reference to a “Super Mac” was found in the Detroit Free Press in that year. Heritage also won the 76th Race to Mackinac but they were not around to celebrate because they were among more than 50 of 287 boats that continued on to Sarnia. Heritage also went on to win the 59th Port Huron-Mackinac race the following week, sweeping all three Mac races in 1983.

The 5th race in 1985 was won overall by Hector J. Marchand’s Dazzler, a J/41 from Michigan City Yacht Club. There were 41 boats entered in the 1985 ‘Sarnia Race.’

The 6th race in 1987 had two winners. In IMS, the winner overall was Tom Giesler’s Double Digits, a J/35 from South Haven Yacht Club. And in IOR, the winner overall was Terry Reagan’s Moody Blue, a Van Dam/Nelson-Marek 36 from Muskegon Yacht Club. [Note: Both winners were also award the Sheldon Clark-Aaron DeRoy Intercity Mackinac Trophy. The large cast bronze plaque, first awarded in 1927, was donated as the award for “the best corrected time per mile in the Chicago to Mackinac and Detroit to Mackinac Races.” It was awarded instead to the “Super Mac” winner in 1987, and again in 2000 and 2015 (it’s unknown why the 2009 Super Mac winner did not receive the Clark-DeRoy Trophy).]

The 7th race in 1989 had no finishers. That year, the Chicago Race to Mackinac was a ‘drifter’ with boats spending more time bobbing in light air than racing. The Race to Mackinac race was so slow many crews ran out of food and had to dip in to Lake Michigan for drinking water, and many simply dropped out. There were no finishers for the ‘Sarnia Race’ – and that version of the race has not been contested again.

2000: The 8th Race - Port Huron, MI to Chicago, IL

To celebrate the year 2000, and the 125th anniversary of the Chicago Yacht Club, the longer race was added once again to the Bayview Mackinac Race with competitors crossing the finish line at Mackinac Island and continuing on to Chicago to complete the “Millennium 600.” Though still not officially known as a Super Mac Race, there are again references in yacht club and newspapers in 2000.

Once again the 8th race had two winners. In IMS, the overall winner was Tom Neill’s Nitemare, a Great Lakes 70 from Chicago Yacht Club. In PHRF, the overall winner was Rich Stearns & Lynn A. Williams Jr.’s Glider, a Cal 40 from Chicago Yacht Club. Both were also awarded the Clark-DeRoy Trophy.

It was a fast race in 2000, and a new elapsed time record was set by Doug Baker’s Magnitude 80, an Andrews 80 from Long Beach, CA. After a medium breeze in the Port Huron to Mackinac Island leg, a front came through sending the big boats roaring down the length of Lake Michigan to Chicago. Magnitude finished Tue at 3:25:02am with an elapsed time of 61:25:02 – still the fastest Super Mac passage in either direction. Second to Magnitude were Peter Thornton’s Holua, Tom Neill’s Nitemare, Dick Jenning’s Pied Piper, Bill Martin’s Stripes, Bob Saielle’s Mongoose from San Diego, Mike Brotz’ Chance and John Nedeau’s Windancer VI.

2009 & 2015: The 9th & 10th Races – Chicago, IL to Port Huron, MI

The 9th race was won by Philip D. O’Neill III’s Natalie J, a Nelson-Marek 46 from Bayview Yacht Club, over 3 hours ahead of the next finisher on corrected time. Why Natalie J was not awarded the Clark-DeRoy is a mystery. The first boat to finish was Fred Ball’s Lucretia, a Newick designed 50 foot trimaran, with Natalie J second on elapsed time, followed by Ron White’s trimaran Cheekee Monkey, Jay Gillespie’s Fine Line and Bruce Geffen’s catamaran Nice Pair.

The 10th race, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Bayview Yacht Club, was won by Michael Leland’s Hope, a Najad 332 from Michigan City Yacht Club – the smallest boat in the fleet of 31! The wind was moderate to light for the first several days but filled in with 24-32 knot following winds on Tue, favoring the smaller boats on corrected time as the big boats never experienced the stronger wind. Hope was also awarded the Clark-DeRoy Trophy.

The first boat to finish was Peter & Christopher Thornton’s il Mostro, a Volvo 70 (former Puma) with an elapsed time of 64:56:35, believed to be the fastest passage from Chicago to Port Huron. Il Mostro was followed by Rick Warner’s trimaran Arete’, Bill Alcott / Tom Anderson’s STP65 Equation, Philip D. O’Neill III’s TP52 Natalie J and Dale Smirl’s JV/66 Defiance.

“The longest freshwater race on earth?”

The Chicago Race to Mackinac and the Lake Ontario 300 both claim title of longest annual freshwater race. It appears the Chicago Race is the longest annual port to port race, with the Ontario 300 an out and back/return race.

The much longer “Super Mac” has been publicized as the “longest freshwater race on earth.” For now the Super Mac is the longest recurring freshwater race, with 10 official races held.

However, the GLSS (Great Lakes Solo Singlehanded Society) held a 1034 nautical mile “Super Mac and Back” in 2008. Only 4 boats competed, 2 in each direction, but that race has not yet been repeated.

And a 600 nautical mile Lake Ontario 600 was held in 2014, scheduled to repeat in 2016.

References (many more without links)

1975 http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1975/07/24/page/42/article/yachts-slow-to-finish-race

1977 https://books.google.com/books?id=pi2nqBeDRKgC&pg=RA4-PA21&lpg=RA4-PA21&dq=chicago+yacht+club+sarnia+race&source=bl&ots=iGsHAq74tz&sig=ao1rbxK-brK_AsaXH7ZuikF-XEA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCUQ6AEwBWoVChMIyeixlIeHyQIVylY-Ch1OywR5#v=onepage&q=chicago%20yacht%20club%20sarnia%20race&f=false

1977 http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1977/07/21/page/37

1981 http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1981/07/24/page/70/article/notes

1981 Direct correspondence with Ted Reese

1983 http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1983/07/20/page/66/article/sailing

1983 http://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/07/26/The-63-foot-sloop-Heritage-from-Chicago-finished-first-in/9074428040000/

1985 http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1985/07/13/page/19/article/awash-in-a-sea-of-uncertainty

1985 Direct correspondence with Hector J. Marchand

1987 https://books.google.com/books?id=ZO2i8oFqm9wC&pg=PA60&lpg=PA60&dq=1987+chicago+sarnia+race&source=bl&ots=4I55ivPMGY&sig=AzGq_qHnfuOQ0xms5ZKJ4fI5UyQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAWoVChMIqsq538eIyQIVB10eCh3xawnQ#v=onepage&q=1987%20chicago%20sarnia%20race&f=false

2000 http://www.bycmack.com/history/Mackinac_Race_History_2000_2003.pdf

2000 http://archive.sailingscuttlebutt.com/archived_Detail.asp?key=1651

2009 http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=262

2015 http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=1376

2015 http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_documents/1376/2015_super_mac_scoring.pdf

However, the GLSS (Great Lakes Solo Singlehanded Society) held a 1034 nautical mile “Super Mac and Back” in 2008. Only 4 boats competed, 2 in each direction, but that race has not yet been repeated.

Not correct:

Three have been held...

Two boats completed in 2014. Joey Baker's Euphoria, a Catalina 38 and Brian Parkinson's Yanqui, a T-10.

Here is Joey Baker's account in 2014:

Not correct:

Three have been held...

Two boats completed in 2014. Joey Baker's Euphoria, a Catalina 38 and Brian Parkinson's Yanqui, a T-10.

Here is Joey Baker's account in 2014:

Four boats competed in 2011 Huron-Chicago-Huron:

The 2nd GLSS 2011 Super Mac and Back Solo Challenge Port Huron – Chicago – Port Huron Class=Port Huron Super Mac and Back ScoreMethod=PHRF (Time on Distance) Date: 06/18/11 Start time=09:00:00 EDT Distance=1034.0nm Sail Boat Skipper PHRF Type Finish Elapsed Corrected Pos 80 OPHIR II VanDenHoven, Adrian 150 Mirage 33 9|12:24:00 9|03:24:00 7|08:19:00 1 41445 VOYAGER Spence, Mike 66 C&C 44 8|23:25:25 8|14:25:25 7|19:28:01 2 42659 FINNAIR Ollila, John 177 Tartan 28 10|11:55:10 10|02:55:10 8|00:04:52 3 1 GL3 Tucker, William 183 Beneteau 30 10|15:58:30 10|06:58:30 8|02:24:38 4

However, the GLSS (Great Lakes Solo Singlehanded Society) held a 1034 nautical mile Super Mac and Back in 2008. Only 4 boats competed, 2 in each direction, but that race has not yet been repeated.

Not correct:

Three have been held...

Four boats competed in 2011 Huron-Chicago-Huron.

Thank you, I will update my summary accordingly.

However, the GLSS (Great Lakes Solo Singlehanded Society) held a 1034 nautical mile Super Mac and Back in 2008. Only 4 boats competed, 2 in each direction, but that race has not yet been repeated.

Not correct:

Three have been held...

Four boats competed in 2011 Huron-Chicago-Huron.

Thank you, I will update my summary accordingly.

You're welcome...

A couple of accounts of the first Super Mac and Back Solo in 2008:

http://www.solosailors.org/pdfs/supermacandback08-verhaeren.pdf

http://www.solosailors.org/pdfs/supermacandback08-tucker.pdf

More in here from the 2011 race:

http://www.solosailors.org/pdfs/solochfall11.pdf

I beg to differ. The Super Mac is not the longest fresh water race in the world.

The "500 millas" race is a triangular course with vertices at Buenos Aires - San Clemente del Tuyu - Punta del Este. Distance (despite the name) is some 450 + nm. Technically all in River Plate, altough one leg skirts South Atlantic ocean (but as I said "technically" it is still within the river's boundary).

See notice of race:

http://www.yca.org.ar/Section.aspx?Id=2258

Youtube:

If I recalll correctly has been held since the mid 90s.takes place in July (middle of winter here, quite cold).

I never claimed it was the longest freshwater race, the promoters did. Though the Super Mac is 493 nm vs your 450+?

If you read the most recent post, I already gave examples noting the Super Mac is not the longest freshwater race on earth. I will probably drop that whole passage in what's published and just mention there are several longer races. The 1034 nm GLSS Super Mac and back is the longest "race" I've found, but who knows...

Hmmm... Maybe I found the right Natalie J, a NM-46?

I'm probably a huge pussy this way but no way am I flying a kite that strapped in without gloves on.

After 5 months of digging, and thanks to many here who helped provide leads, I believe I have the history of "the longest (recurring) freshwater race on earth" - recently known as the Super Mac on Lake Michigan-Huron. A summary appears below.

I am now trying to gather up pictures of all the winners in action (from any race). What I have so far appears in subsequent posts below.

• I have a picture of the 1981 winning Peterson 34 Cadence coming from the owner.
  • I have not found any pictures of the 1985 winning J/35 Double Digits or the 2009 winning NM-46 Natalie J (plenty of the TP52).
  • And better pics of any I have below would be most welcome.
I plan to post this on Facebook and offer it to a few other Lake Michigan sailing sites (unpaid).

If any of you can help, I would be most grateful.

I have shots of the NM46 Nat J if you still need them.

[i have shots of the NM46 Nat J if you still need them.

The only one I've found is in post #11 above. If you have any others you can share, I would be grateful.

I created a wiki page if they haven't taken it down https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mac_Race, but I was unable to post any pictures due to potential 'fair use' copyright issues. I have no way of knowing which if any of the pics I found online are legal to publish. Pictures would improve the page considerably IMO...

This has been interesting to follow. Nice effort.

Another nugget here for your files. I found this hardware on the wall at my old mans house over Thanksgiving. Apparently the 81 and 83 races also had two divisions. IOR and LMYA. LMYA was the Lake Michigan PHRF of the day.. then they went to MHS, then IMS etc. The Chicago vets would know more on the rules whens and whys. Anyway, I hit Dad up for some stories in between his Manhattans.. He recalled the 81 race being a screamer. They went from the island to Sarnia in 26 hours and never even tried to put up a kite. He could not recall the IOR winner. In 83 it was the polar opposite. They sat in the straights for 12 hours and finally dropped out (along with many others) to ensure they could make the the Bayview Mac start. The boat was a new Pearson 40' - Flush Decked, IOR lines, Furniture Store, Centerboard, Tall Rig. I have a picture somewhere..

Merry Christmas

GT

post-1028-0-28530900-1450361877_thumb.jpgpost-1028-0-13164700-1450361903_thumb.jpg

Another nugget here for your files. I found this hardware on the wall at my old mans house over Thanksgiving. Apparently the 81 and 83 races also had two divisions. IOR and LMYA. LMYA was the Lake Michigan PHRF of the day.. then they went to MHS, then IMS etc. The Chicago vets would know more on the rules whens and whys. Anyway, I hit Dad up for some stories in between his Manhattans.. He recalled the 81 race being a screamer. They went from the island to Sarnia in 26 hours and never even tried to put up a kite. He could not recall the IOR winner. In 83 it was the polar opposite. They sat in the straights for 12 hours and finally dropped out (along with many others) to ensure they could make the the Bayview Mac start. The boat was a new Pearson 40' - Flush Decked, IOR lines, Furniture Store, Centerboard, Tall Rig. I have a picture somewhere..

Merry Christmas

GT

attachicon.gifSM81.jpgattachicon.gifCYCMac81.jpg

Great info. The article I found (above) only noted Cadence as the Chicago-Sarnia Race winner in 1981 (corroborated by several participants including the skipper), no mention of divisions. So I will try to research this further, unless you have any other sources - not the plaque isn't convincing. Were there two overall winners, or one?

I am updating the wiki page, though they're leading me to believe they're going to take it down.

Again, I am amazed at how little of this is documented beyond the participants themselves. I've been able to contact a few, and they have been most gracious and helpful, but there are many others I've been unable to reach...

Merry Christmas

GT

attachicon.gifSM81.jpgattachicon.gifCYCMac81.jpg

The LMYA rule (Lake Michigan Yachting Association) was a local rule which combined the hull measurements and actual weight of the boat (actually measured not estimated) that were found in the CCA rule (Cruising Club of America) and the Sail measurements of the IOR rule. The Chicago fleet was split between IOR and LMYA until PHRF took over the second slot. It was a reasonably fair rule and not under attack (no one would build to a purely local rule) that died an administrative death because of the number of people needed to measure and maintain the certificates.

Robin

A poor pic, but the only one I've found of the first Scaramouche a Frers 54, winner of the 1975 Centennial Race among other wins.

Pretty sure there is a picture of it buried in a thread on SA somewhere. I'll do some digging. Scaramouche was also on a great fold out cover shot for Yachting magazine, too.

Great work! I did the Super Mac for the first time this year, and it was certainly one I'll remember.

Re: GLSSS Super Mac and Back: I believe 9 entered, and 4 finished, 2 in each direction. Link to source: http://www.solosailors.org/pdfs/mac08results.pdf

The Inaugural GLSS 2008 Super Mac and Back Solo Challenge **** NR= Set new elapsed time record for the event

EVENT:

Pt. Huron – Pt. Huron Distance: 1034nm Start Time: 9:10am & 9:20am Sail Finish Elapsed Corrected Num Boat Name Skipper Rate Day Time Time Elap Time CLS -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

48174 YUK FU II NORRIS 93 10 2:49:49 209:29:49 209:29:49 NR 1 1

GL3 TUCKER 183 12 20:42:20 275:32:20 249:41:20 2

1375 SPLIT DECISION HUGHES 153 DNF

41445 VOYAGER SPENCE 66 DNF

42659 FINNAIR OLLILA 177 DNF

EVENT:

Chicago – Chicago Distance: 1034nm Start Time: 8:00am Sail Finish Elapsed Corrected Num Boat Name Skipper Rate Day Time Time Elap Time CLS -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

52747 ANTARES VAN METER 144 14 21:42:00 325:42:00 325:42:00 NR

1 398 KISMET VERHAEREN 174 15 10:17:00 338:17:00 329:40:00 2

40563 OUTRAGEOUS KERLOW 126 DNF

50254 CELERITY DUMMER 93 DNF

Not to further entangle the "my race is bigger" dick swinging, but I'll put the Trans-Superior up for the longest bi-annual freshwater race. While not technically the longest anymore, it's worth noting that it's only held biannually because it takes a year to forget how miserable it was.

Bonus: There is a discussion of a Lake Superior 600 this summer. Because why should the warm, lower lakes have al the fun.

This looks like the Frers 45 that he (Chuck Kirsch) had in the early 80's (co-owned w/Jack Batts for while).

Scaramouche2 is still being sailed today! She is owned by a school in London, the Greig City Academy, who are doing a fantastic job of taking children from an underprivileged area sailing. Their aspiration is to enter the Fastnet Race in 2017. I am working with the school on a voluntary basis to help them move the project forward, and also as a skipper on the boat.

Have a look at their Twitter page here

https://twitter.com/GCASailingClub

Pretty sure there is a picture of it buried in a thread on SA somewhere. I'll do some digging. Scaramouche was also on a great fold out cover shot for Yachting magazine, too.

This is definitely the 45 which we are still sailing today, per my other post.

We would love to see the fold out cover shot you have mentioned, any chance of a link ?

Great work! I did the Super Mac for the first time this year, and it was certainly one I'll remember.

Re: GLSSS Super Mac and Back: I believe 9 entered, and 4 finished, 2 in each direction. Link to source: http://www.solosailors.org/pdfs/mac08results.pdf

The Inaugural GLSS 2008 Super Mac and Back Solo Challenge **** NR= Set new elapsed time record for the event

EVENT:

Pt. Huron Pt. Huron Distance: 1034nm Start Time: 9:10am & 9:20am Sail Finish Elapsed Corrected Num Boat Name Skipper Rate Day Time Time Elap Time CLS -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

48174 YUK FU II NORRIS 93 10 2:49:49 209:29:49 209:29:49 NR 1 1

GL3 TUCKER 183 12 20:42:20 275:32:20 249:41:20 2

1375 SPLIT DECISION HUGHES 153 DNF

41445 VOYAGER SPENCE 66 DNF

42659 FINNAIR OLLILA 177 DNF

EVENT:

Chicago Chicago Distance: 1034nm Start Time: 8:00am Sail Finish Elapsed Corrected Num Boat Name Skipper Rate Day Time Time Elap Time CLS -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

52747 ANTARES VAN METER 144 14 21:42:00 325:42:00 325:42:00 NR

1 398 KISMET VERHAEREN 174 15 10:17:00 338:17:00 329:40:00 2

40563 OUTRAGEOUS KERLOW 126 DNF

50254 CELERITY DUMMER 93 DNF

Not to further entangle the "my race is bigger" dick swinging, but I'll put the Trans-Superior up for the longest bi-annual freshwater race. While not technically the longest anymore, it's worth noting that it's only held biannually because it takes a year to forget how miserable it was.

Bonus: There is a discussion of a Lake Superior 600 this summer. Because why should the warm, lower lakes have al the fun.

Agreed. I was compelled only because Super Mac promoters claimed "the longest freshwater race on earth." So I dropped all the 'whose is bigger' from the wiki page, endless...

Turns out the CYC Mac isn't the longest annual freshwater race either despite the claim, maybe the oldest.

Marketing...

I would love leads with pictures of the winners that I can legally post on the wiki page. Only found two clearly without copyright protection. I have contacted some sources, one posted prolifically on SA, but so far no response.

I plan to update here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mac_Race from now on. I added dates and two pictures yesterday. Searching for more legal pictures, or any minor corrections if they come up. Almost done...

Thanks again to all here who gave me leads, couldn't have done without. And I met some great sailors online along the way.

We bought the PJ Frers 53' Encounter a couple of years ago and embarked on a major refit, see www encountersailingyacht.com

I would be very interested to get into contact with anybody who raced on her during the '76-'79 period to get to know more of her history, maybe see pictures, etc.

You can post them under fair use, just make sure you provide credit.

You would know since you publish a widely read website, but can you tell me where to look to establish that? It seems awfully murky, and the folks at wikipedia question EVERYTHING! Cheers, and thanks for the shout out...I'm honored.

I just added the three related SA threads to the wiki page references, but they would not let me link to the threads themselves...I was trying to give credit to everyone.

I am pretty sure that is the 45', by looking at the picture and the boat I sail on nowadays.

I am pretty sure that is the 45', by looking at the picture and the boat I sail on nowadays.
Understood. I have gone with the old newspaper clipping in post #20 above, I know that is the Frers 54 Scaramouche.

I am finding 'fair use' makes using pictures VERY difficult. I've had three pro photographers authorize me using their photos, but wiki makes it a lot harder than that...jumping through too many hoops.

Updated the wiki to include the results of the 2017 Super Mac, I guess I'm responsible for the page until I get tired of it. A pretty sad affair with only 7 entries and only 2 finishers, one multi and one mono.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mac_Race

The eleventh race began on July 15, 2017. There were only 7 entries, and only 2 finishers, one monohull and one multihull. Rick Warner’s Areté, an Orma 60 trimaran from PHYC & EYC finished the race in an elapsed time of 49:11:15. Mark Hagan’s Relentless, a Schock 40 from GTYC finished in 95:46:25[23]. The first night of the race, also the CYC Race to Mackinac, was hit with violent storms that continued well into Sunday. This was followed with very light winds. In the end almost one-third of the Race to Mackinac fleet, including 5 Super Mac entrants, retired due to storm damage, crew injury or subsequently the very light air.

Thanks MidPack for securing our place in history!

I was on Relentless for the Supermac 2017 (and 2015). We may have corrected to 80th out of 81 in the racing division, but it didn't feel right to throw in the towel on a boat called "Relentless". 

Like many others, we shredded our A2 during the big wind on Saturday night. Then we didn't make it as far North on Sunday as we had hoped, resulting in a day of bobbing near the Fox Islands. The breeze slowly filled from the South, and we finished at Mackinac Island early Tuesday morning. The South wind continued to build, and we spent another day beating down Lake Huron into big waves - though not as bad as the Northbound Lake Michigan trip. The wind died again on Wednesday morning for a few hours, but we kept the boat moving around 2kts. A light Westerly fill allowed a Code 0 ghost ride to the channel with seven guys on the rail in glassy water, before putting up another A2 to head down the St. Clair River. 

All in all, this Supermac was pretty mellow compared to the last one. Beating into big waves on a 40' ULDB may not be any fun, but it gave us LOTS of time to figure out how to make the boat go upwind. We also learned what not to do while dousing a big spinnaker in 40+kts. 

Anyway, thanks again for the recognition. I'll look for some legal pictures next week after the Bayview Race to Mackinac. Here's to some wind behind the beam!

Do you happen to have the results for 1985? I believe that was the year I sailed it on the G&S 45 Invictus under chartering skipper Terry Kohler.

On 7/21/2017 at 7:25 PM, kurthoehne said:

Do you happen to have the results for 1985? I believe that was the year I sailed it on the G&S 45 Invictus under chartering skipper Terry Kohler.

For whatever reason, 1985 proved to be the most difficult to get info on. I have a couple articles naming section winners, and a first hand account from the overall winner and another competitor but not complete results. FWIW here is the scratch sheet, which shows Invictus. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.