Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

i want that

Now this looks to us like what a real cruiser should look like! Oh btw, What Is It?

i want that.jpg

World's largest plywood boat?

Naaah. That title would go to this one, I guess...

ragtime11.jpg

Btw: I know which of the two I would pick...

12 minutes, you guys are slacking off...

Ahem.

6 minutes. Scroll up and read the thread. Matagi had it at 5:06

Just looking at the specs of a Code 1. I think I'll take the European version...

• Length Overall 12 m or 33,37 ft.

Just looking at the specs of a Code 1. I think I'll take the European version...

• Length Overall 12 m or 33,37 ft.

Maybe they are using imperial metres? :D

Fuck! Some one should explain to that designer what a curve is. It's fucking hideous! Have we really come to the point where people will look at that and say "nice"? Fuck!

I'm very reassured that the posters here on CA can call bull shit on this. Collectively we have ":the eye".

Fucking computer design programs. All of a fucking sudden everyone's a fucking designer.

Marc Lombard design. I think it looks awesome, but i think your shapes look awesome too. this is the shape i really like....

anarchy-12-121.jpg

let's give benefit of doubt on this plug and suggest there will Be plenty of putty added for curves and shaping for clearly this is only a Rough frame :)

Not only is it fugly, it looks like it would be a shit cruiser as well. Where's the fucking shelter from sun, wind or spray?

Oh, and matagi - Ragtime, when launched as Infidel, was 65'. The original owner had a bigger boat, also ply and designed by John Spencer, built - Buccaneer was 73'. It wasn't in the same league as Infidel for looks though.

I remember a time when mono hull owners look down on those who owned multi-hulls saying such things like "they're dangerous, if they go upside-down they stay upside-down"

How times have changed.

Fuck! Some one should explain to that designer what a curve is. It's fucking hideous! Have we really come to the point where people will look at that and say "nice"? Fuck!

I'm very reassured that the posters here on CA can call bull shit on this. Collectively we have ":the eye".

Fucking computer design programs. All of a fucking sudden everyone's a fucking designer.

Are you sure you got enough "FUCK'S" in there Bob?

Are you sure you got enough "FUCKS" in there Bob?

Fucking fixed.

I know it might be ambiguous on the picture, but the website says:

Construction Sandwich Carbone / Oven baked Epoxy Infusion

Which indeed does raise the question; then why so many corners and flattish developpable surfaces?

The construction method should not have been a constraint leading to that compromise, right?

The hull shape is no more than a representation of what is considered cool these days. Juan K has a lot to answer for.

+10k

So, largest plywood yacht........wouldn't Stomvogel win the award over Infidel/Ragtime.......

Especially as she was built for a plywood guy..........

So, largest plywood yacht........wouldn't Stomvogel win the award over Infidel/Ragtime.......

Not hard chine - doesn't count. -_-

I think I like it. Sure beats seeing the same shit all the time. Anchorages have become pretty boring with about 6 basic types of white plastic monohulls and most of the cruising cats look like they got pumped up with an air hose. Back when I was a kid anchorages were a lot more interesting.

Yes I'll have to dig deeper, 4layers cold molded........is that really plywood.....need to retread the Illingworth books

Yes I'll have to dig deeper, 4layers cold molded........is that really plywood.....need to retread the Illingworth books

Actually each layer was plywood, specially made in CB's factory for the boat job from selected veneers. IIRC each layer was 3 ply, and about 6mm - giving about an inch skin thickness, but I could be confused about that.

When a bloke I used to know decided to build a cold-moulded Voortrekker (VdS 50'), he got Brunzeel to do the same thing for him - selected veneers made into 3 ply, then 3 layers of the ply. Incredibly strong and stiff.

But the Code 2 is still fugly - and it doesn't have a watertight bulkhead forward of the rudder post so it's doomed anyway. Might as well have an offset companionway.

Ever owned an 80's car and thought "that's a nice car"

Oh, wait, this isn't 80's anymore.

Naaah. That title would go to this one, I guess...ragtime11.jpg

Btw: I know which of the two I would pick...

Infidel/Ragtime might not be the largest plywood boat, but she sure is the coolest plywood boat, with a great racing record to go with the great looks!

This one was french so somewhat more difficult. I bet more then 60 % of the anarchist are mebers of the US of A.

I know the niece of Mr Bruynzeel.

Stormvogel is still in the Hall of Fame of best and most beautifull yacht ever sailed by the dutch.

Stormvogelrunning.jpg

She is still for charter in Thailand.

http://classicyachtinfo.com/yachts/stormvogel/

Given that many production builders like to copy styling elements of racing yachts (especially ones that allow them to cram in more berths) I would think they would be drooling over the prospects of a scow bow. Imagine the number of 'bow' berths you could cram into one of those!

Given that many production builders like to copy styling elements of racing yachts (especially ones that allow them to cram in more berths) I would think they would be drooling over the prospects of a scow bow. Imagine the number of 'bow' berths you could cram into one of those!

Berths in a scow racer? I bet more then 30.

post-17796-0-36685600-1450342248.jpg

But how will she do in high seas? Will be a submarine I guess.

But.. you never know until you try.

Who's financing?

Are you sure you got enough "FUCKS" in there Bob?

Fucking fixed.

Nobody can say that Bob doesn't give a fuck!

But the Code 2 is still fugly - and it doesn't have a watertight bulkhead forward of the rudder post so it's doomed anyway. Might as well have an offset companionway.

Looking at the full set, I think it does have a sealed area for each rudder. Remember there are two, with the dinghy garage separating the two. I see what looks like a hatch opening in one of the bulkheads on each side to give access to the steering gear from each side.

The specs list a lifting keel, 1.7/4.6 metres, anyone seen how they do it?

Looking at the full set, I think it does have a sealed area for each rudder. Remember there are two, with the dinghy garage separating the two. I see what looks like a hatch opening in one of the bulkheads on each side to give access to the steering gear from each side.

The specs list a lifting keel, 1.7/4.6 metres, anyone seen how they do it?

Looks like a big pivot point, check out the FB link and scroll down

Agreed, should have said pivot rather than lifting. Where does it go, how does it lift, what shape is it? Maybe some of that is there and I just can't see on a mobile.

Agreed, should have said pivot rather than lifting. Where does it go, how does it lift, what shape is it? Maybe some of that is there and I just can't see on a mobile.

My guess it is similar to the Pogo, rotate till the trailing edge is near the hull

In the clear light of morning I suspect I may have jumped too soon. I got a nice new design job yesterday and I was pretty full of myself and wine when I posted the "fuck" post.

I'll wait and see how it comes along before judging again.

I think I like it. Sure beats seeing the same shit all the time. Anchorages have become pretty boring with about 6 basic types of white plastic monohulls and most of the cruising cats look like they got pumped up with an air hose. Back when I was a kid anchorages were a lot more interesting.

Back in the late 70's I saw a review of the Baba 30 and then the Baba 35 I was sure that they were the epitomy of beautiful yacht design. They are still pretty boats. Materials and design have evolved, the roundy world racers no longer look like something from your marina. Having sailed light, fast (for thier size) PHRF racers for the last 18 years I find beauty in both genres.

Me too Warbird. But within both genres there are some fuglky looking boats. I love the Pogos. I'm not convinced I'm going to like this new boat.

Me too Warbird. But within both genres there are some fuglky looking boats. I love the Pogos. I'm not convinced I'm going to like this new boat.

Bob, I race my B-32, Beiley design. She is not the prettiest boat in the basin, but she does the job effectively and I find a beauty in that. We have made some really fast passages almost effortlessly. Looking out from a boat while sailing fast and effortlessly is a little different than gazing at it dockside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vodEIwgtBIU

The doghouse looks a bit small to my eye and I dislike gratuitous teak/fake teak on decks (and it'd probably look bad without it) but otherwise I like it. It is actually the 21st century I like the new Cadillacs not the 1960s ones similar progress in boats is needed.

I like it well enough, but the deck looks like they modeled it with Legos. The nice thing about hard angles on deck is you know where to step when it's lumpy out. Sometimes, those subtle, blended curves can surprise an ankle. The big question is, healed over at speed, are any of those cockpit/deck protrusions going to be slow drainers? I see some candidates.

Bob, I race my B-32, Beiley design. She is not the prettiest boat in the basin, but she does the job effectively and I find a beauty in that. We have made some really fast passages almost effortlessly. Looking out from a boat while sailing fast and effortlessly is a little different than gazing at it dockside.

A B32 is far better looking than the current crop of plumb-bow fat-assed boats....it's got some nice proportions.

I'll withhold judgement on the subject of OP. It might come out OK, but I doubt it will be considered a timeless beauty.

Blackpeppers first design

3_b87151c7b6.jpeg

always reminds me of this...

Wally-Nano-sailing-yacht.jpg

Now, maybe pink is somewhat of an exaggerated statement, but the design is great.

And, imho, the cabin shape suits this one.

3_b87151c7b6.jpeg

Now, maybe pink is somewhat of an exaggerated statement, but the design is great.

Those freeing ports in the stern look a little pretentious. Actually, I think the whole boat looks pretentious, especially the pink. The proportions are all wrong to my old-guy eyes.

I remember we mocked the first boat a few months ago. It looks like the cabin got stuck half-way up.

The 34 footer (code 1) is cooler. It has great deck space. The code 2 is too mini-Wally and crossing that cockpit in a seaway could be an undignified scoot on your ass.

It's hard to tell without a profile view, but the pics suggest Lombard drew a slightly reverse sheer, which helps make the low-profile, squared-off cabin top work in terms of volume and styling. There's lot's of resemblance to American sharpies from the nineteenth century, including the swing keel, although it lacks a centerboard trunk. This is a contemporary French sharpie.

post-31152-0-42380200-1450379852_thumb.jpg

In the clear light of morning I suspect I may have jumped too soon. I got a nice new design job yesterday and I was pretty full of myself and wine when I posted the "fuck" post.

Nope, you were right the first time.

What's the new job?

Marc Lombard design. I think it looks awesome, but i think your shapes look awesome too. this is the shape i really like....

anarchy-12-121.jpg

Thug Life - Really?

Glad I'm not the only one who saw that and rolled their eyes.

anarchy-12-121.jpg

Thug Life - Really?

Glad I'm not the only one who saw that and rolled their eyes.

I think I lost an eyeball somewhere around the medulla.

Jon:

New 70'er.

Nice Christmas present for you - congrats.

When will we know more?

Jon:

I won't start till after New Years. When I get it presentable I'll bring it out to play.It's for a client in Japan.

At first glance, the OP picture reminded me of the Bermuda 50:

4943149_20150929085936880_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

But I don't check out enough of these boats to really train my eye.

Oops, Bob, nice try at a retraction, but you did just call Marc Lombard out as a dick! Gotta make you cringe!

"All of a fucking sudden everyone's a fucking designer". Sweet!

By the way, I've just had a few glasses of wine, so I'm also bullet proof!

I know the debate about curves and no curves is very strong. I love both but sometimes the two schools of thought can go way overboard and forget "form follows function".

I can appreciate Bob P. dissatisfaction with the visual boxy hard edge shapes but if they are exceeding in performance & safety compared to other designs then isn't that the most beautiful part? Should curves be added at the expensive of performance?

Pics of Code 0 "Black Pepper"

post-1480-0-19917100-1450391508_thumb.jpgpost-1480-0-39888800-1450391512_thumb.jpgpost-1480-0-32948400-1450391514_thumb.jpg

post-1480-0-03861600-1450392091_thumb.jpg

post-1480-0-20286100-1450392093_thumb.jpg

Wow! Look at that bone in the tail!

No Spectator, not at all. Great design, in my eye, is a design that is fast, efficient and safe and,,,,good looking. Performance does not have top be sacrificed in order to make a boat beautiful. Have you never looked at a TP 52?

AS for "form follows function": I think that is just an excuse for inadequate design. Who needs sheer spring? Who needs attractive proportions to the deck structures. If form follows function what's the function of that mammoth wave that Lombard boat is kicking up in the stern? Form follows function may be a valid place to begin the design but then comes the artistry of design.

Fatima:

Not at all. Show me exactly where I call Marc a "dick". Exactly. I simply said that at that moment I was not attracted to any of the shapes I was seeing on that new boat. It's almost like there is way too much effort being made to be "different".

Well, how about being different and good looking. Beethoven's 9th symphony was different and very beautiful. I don't know Marc Lombard so I have no idea at all if he is a "dick".

When is the last time you heard a Schoenberg piece on the radio? He worked at being different. Damn near starved to death.

I'm at a disadvantage here now. I have not had a glass of wine yet.

hug Life - Really?

Says the guy named Turd Sandwich! :lol: :lol:

The Code 0 is designed by Romaric Neyhousser,not a Marc Lombard design. M. Lombard did the Code 1 and the Code 2. Here is a little video snippet of the Code 1 https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1980EEA7ED85132A!9833&authkey=!AH6-SuOWv6pNCns&ithint=video%2cmp4

Fully agree that it is not everyone's cup of tea for a cruising boat but I am with the Ed that this is a boat I'd be happy to own if I had the means. Same goes for this one: http://www.finot-conq.com/content/super-yacht-de-100-pieds

It's almost like there is way too much effort being made to be "different".

I think I get what you are trying to say but all the same my first reaction to the Code 2 above was that it was more of the same. It made me immediately think of this (with admittedly much more performance):

post-3637-0-67213500-1450408453_thumb.jpg

And I'll let pass the criticism of Schoenberg, whom I love and admire greatly.

Frede

Fully agree that it is not everyone's cup of tea for a cruising boat but I am with the Ed that this is a boat I'd be happy to own if I had the means. Same goes for this one: http://www.finot-conq.com/content/super-yacht-de-100-pieds

Nomad IV once passed me in the Mediterranean and I was amazed what a huge wake it was pulling in relatively light breeze. I imagine on these open style boats the (prior?) concern with not dragging the stern has gone out the window.

I think I get what you are trying to say but all the same my first reaction to the Code 2 above was that it was more of the same. It made me immediately think of this (with admittedly much more performance):

attachicon.gifSense46.jpg

Frede

Looks like a giant Mac 26. I guess Roger got it right.

Frede:

I am also a real Schoenberg fan. I was not commenting on the quality of his music only the fact that today it is not often heard.

Regarding the buried transom and wake:

My approach is, do not generalize. The clean water exiting the transom edge of the VOR 60 is not the same as the bubbling disturbance popping up right at the transom edge of the fat assed Beneteau. Carrots and apples.

Look at hull forms. Look at displs. All buried transoms are not created equal. This has nothing to do with design fads. The water does not know its 2015.

Here is a buried transom. Look how beautifully clean the water exits the transom edge to crest about 6' aft of the boat. The turbulence you see is off the rudder. Now look at that photo of the Code 2 boat. That water is bursting up right at the transom edge. I can hear it now, "Than God I got out of that place!"

maxresdefault_zpszj0yqbqj.jpg

So what you are saying Bob is that the hull should do the work so the water doesn't have to?

Tucky:

I never quite thought of it like that but I think that makes sense. You like to leave the water like you had never been there.

I think if you are going to be spending much time at greater than "hull speed" you want to make sure that you are using the entire LOA to your advantage and this will mean having some transom immersed. Go take a look at the video of WILD OATS. Probably the cleanest bow wave I have ever seen.

Not only is it fugly, it looks like it would be a shit cruiser as well. Where's the fucking shelter from sun, wind or spray?

Oh, and matagi - Ragtime, when launched as Infidel, was 65'. The original owner had a bigger boat, also ply and designed by John Spencer, built - Buccaneer was 73'. It wasn't in the same league as Infidel for looks though.

Launched as Infidel at 62'. Renamed Ragtime in 1972 on arrival to US. 3' scoop added late 80's. Buccaneer not the same chined design - was optimized a bit for IOR.

attachicon.gifSense46.jpg

Frede

I don't like spoilers on board, but that is personal.

Now this looks to us like what a real cruiser should look like! Oh btw, What Is It?

Off center companionway.

Who wants to cruise a planing hull? Who wants to cruise a mono at over 10 knots, it's uncomfortable? This forum is populated by racers who think boat speed is the end all. Sure we all want good sailing boats but I'm here to tell you racing ain't cruising and close reaching at 13 knots won't make momma happy for long.

Launched as Infidel at 62'. Renamed Ragtime in 1972 on arrival to US. 3' scoop added late 80's. Buccaneer not the same chined design - was optimized a bit for IOR.

Thanks ragtime. My fuzzy memory happily defers to your obvious knowledge!

Who wants to cruise a planing hull? Who wants to cruise a mono at over 10 knots, it's uncomfortable? This forum is populated by racers who think boat speed is the end all. Sure we all want good sailing boats but I'm here to tell you racing ain't cruising and close reaching at 13 knots won't make momma happy for long.

It's a racer cruiser, so 70% race 20% daysail 10% overnight. I may have overestimated the amount of actual cruising

Lombard boats rock! Good home built designs and very capable. I'd build and own this boat in a heartbeat.

So there

3_b87151c7b6.jpeg

Have you seen the price of the Wally Nano?

From € 258.000..

http://www.hoekdesign.com/yacht/wally-nano

Shhhhhh, some folks have their viewpoints and we don't want to burst their bubble......

(If ya wanna/need to go fast, then you don't really buy a sailboat.....jus sayin')

Ballard Sailor mentioned boatbuild in anacortes , .. is this the Donovan T4..?? how is the build going .. Its been ages

I guess Joli has never actually tried cruising a planing hull.

This old woman ain't a moma, but she luuurves cruising on a planing boat. Flat steady ride, no wallowing, wonderful sensation of motion, and lottsa jealous looks from the folks wallowing around in leadmines and heaving up their guts as you fly past.

where is ragtime these days?

Brickyard Cove, SF. Merry Christmas!

Great pic, and good to see Ragtime floating, as she should be! Great boat.