Sign in to follow this  
FF44

Weather4D 2.0 New complete navigation app

Weather4D 2.0 came up a week ago to replace Weather4D Pro, the French well known Weather and Routing app for iOS devices.
In addition with Weather and Routing, Weather4D 2.0 provides a complete charting navigation app that support all raster charting available from the GeoGarage server: NOAA (USA), CHS (Canada), WLP (Bahamas), IHL (Brazil), SHN (Argentina), SHOM (France / DOM-TOM / Polynesia), UKHO (UK and dependencies), BSH (Germany), NLHO (Netherlands), AHS (Australia), LINZ (New Zealand).
An English language tutorial is to download for free on iBook Store User Guide with 37 high resolution videos.

Have a look on this entry in Navigation Mac weblog, may be you will enjoy!

Francis B)

Hey Francis, great news about the update.

We used W4D for our Fasnet Race this year and it did the job alright, although offshore loading of gribs is a bit of an issue.

Looking forward to trying the new version. Is it a simple update of the existing app or do I need to download a new one?

Weather4D 2.0 came up a week ago to replace Weather4D Pro, the French well known Weather and Routing app for iOS devices.

In addition with Weather and Routing, Weather4D 2.0 provides a complete charting navigation app that support all raster charting available from the GeoGarage server: NOAA (USA), CHS (Canada), WLP (Bahamas), IHL (Brazil), SHN (Argentina), SHOM (France / DOM-TOM / Polynesia), UKHO (UK and dependencies), BSH (Germany), NLHO (Netherlands), AHS (Australia), LINZ (New Zealand).

An English language tutorial is to download for free on iBook Store User Guide with 37 high resolution videos.

Have a look on this entry in Navigation Mac weblog, may be you will enjoy!

Francis B)

REPLACE?

I paid US$40 for the 1.0 version. I like it as a GRIB viewer and route planner.

The 2.0 is new US$50 app that include nav.

Does 'replace' mean the the 1.0 is no longer supported? Or developed? Do I need to spend another US$50 to stay current?

Francis where do the gribs come from in the US? Is it a seperate subscription, or can we download from public sites?

Looks like another $50. I just checked. A little bummed, as I already paid for V 1.0, however the new app still looks pretty cool.

Francis where do the gribs come from in the US? Is it a seperate subscription, or can we download from public sites?

Downloading was from public sites in the Pro version, but you could also import a grib from wherever you fancy.

So I bought "Pro" and now have to buy 2.0? Bummer.

That's my point as well. I don't need the new nav feature in that app, I've got one (iSailor) I like and use. What I hope is that the 'old; pro version would continue to live, improve and be supported. If its orphaned I'm not going to be happy.

Why that negative about a newly developed app? Actually not much more than a few beers?

I'm testing the app at this moment and it really is quite an improvement on W4D-Pro although I have not mastered everything completely. Like W4D-Pro there are so many possibilities to play with. And now even more: especially the possibility to try many different scenarios for routing and the possibility to compare these in one view is really very interesting.

As for the charts: that is helpful for making routes in the app itself: you don't have to import them from isailor, iNavX or other.

And the NMEA wifi connection also brings many possibilities, all in one view..

So: for a few beers really a lot of new possibilities.

Why that negative about a newly developed app? Actually not much more than a few beers?

I'm testing the app at this moment and it really is quite an improvement on W4D-Pro although I have not mastered everything completely. Like W4D-Pro there are so many possibilities to play with. And now even more: especially the possibility to try many different scenarios for routing and the possibility to compare these in one view is really very interesting.

As for the charts: that is helpful for making routes in the app itself: you don't have to import them from isailor, iNavX or other.

And the NMEA wifi connection also brings many possibilities, all in one view..

So: for a few beers really a lot of new possibilities.

You make some valid points and this is an interesting discussion.

First for background, I actually have a fair amount of empathy for mobile app developers. I'm the CTO of a company that indeed develops mobile apps, and in another life worked for a company that did the same in the marine space. I'm good friend with the CEO of Navionics, and discussed with him their plans when they modified their mobile strategy a few year back. So I get it.

I have no issue with a new app with new capabilities. But I do have issues with this particular plan.

The first is that the new 2.0 capabilities step into the realm of other very well entrenched apps with lots of support, users, and capabilities. For instance I use iSailor. Love it, and I have hundreds of dollars invested in charts from all over the world on it. I also subscribe to their (very very good) weather service and AIS features. Transas is a very good established company that supports the product very well. They are not going anywhere. I really don't need or want another charting/piloting app.

Second is that if I don't need it, I don't want to pay for it just to stay current. It sounds like all new development effort with go into the 2.0 version. Even dormant apps need TLC to keep them 'alive' and working with the current OS version. If Olivier plans to maintain and develop the 1.0 version, the discussion ends here. But if its EOL'ed, I've got an issue.

Third the charting is not nearly global, and has big holes. I sail a lot in the eastern Med. No charting there yet. When?

I do wish him well and hope it plays out well for all. I agree that app is a good deal for what it does. And if the Nav works well that might be a great entry point for others without an established mobile nav solution. But for other like me who use it primarily for routing, its just another 50 bucks to update an app they already own and get features that they might not use.

A good option? Maybe give the 2.0 version to existing users for 1/2 price. New users pay full price for the full capability, and existing users (who supported the development effort in the first place) get a break.

One would hope that the new app is a bit more responsive than the person behind their "contact" email address. I have written in the past about a question on Weather4D Pro and received no response at all. In the last few months, I have followed up twice, and still have not had any response.

I have since removed the app from the iPad and iPhone. I have had no qualms buying worthy apps like Expedition at $1,300 for my laptop, and get great response from Nick White, but I am highly unlikely to spend $50 + on this company, and subsequent subscriptions, for their lack of response, no matter how good the new app seems to be.

One would hope that the new app is a bit more responsive than the person behind their "contact" email address. I have written in the past about a question on Weather4D Pro and received no response at all. In the last few months, I have followed up twice, and still have not had any response.

I have since removed the app from the iPad and iPhone. I have had no qualms buying worthy apps like Expedition at $1,300 for my laptop, and get great response from Nick White, but I am highly unlikely to spend $50 + on this company, and subsequent subscriptions, for their lack of response, no matter how good the new app seems to be.

We apologize about that, maybe you email adress was returned as "Mail Delivery Error" because the dev Olivier Bouyssou used to send an answer to all requester. In 2016, you can contact support@weather4d.com or my own email contact@francis-fustier.fr, be sure to receive a quick response.

My 1.0 is still working fine. I won't be upgrading at that cost as my iSailor and Navionics already do the nav bit as well as I could want.

If I didn't have those apps, I would probably go for this app. I always thought Navionics with Weather 4D's wind and current data would be Nirvana.

Update Weather4D 2.0.4 with a number of new features:

- Advanced NMEA support:

Configuring the NMEA connection sensor and selection of available NMEA sentences
Position: RMC / GGA / GLL
SOG & COG: RMC / VTG
Heading: HDG / HDT / HDM / HRT
Surface Speed: VBW / VWR
Depth: TPD / DBT / DBS / DBK (possibility to adjust an offset)

- AIS:
Targets are displayed on the chart at a preset zoom level. When the zoom level is adequate, vessels may beings displayed in actual size if the information is available. A single tap on AIS targets displays the name or MMSI of the vessel and the respective location at the Closest Point of Approach (CPA). A long tap on the target opens a popup displaying all ship’s information.
Prediction option to display future target and own ship location at CPA..

In the settings you can set a (CPA, TCPA) min. Vessel dimensions are taken into account in the calculation of the CPA.
Setting the MMSI of own ship.
Track Display option of selected target (timing adjustable).
Targets Filter option depending on the distance to own ship.

- Alarms Management:
Display / Notification / Sound and acknowledge alarms

Sensor Alarms:
GPS Alarm (low accuracy)
XTE alarm (adjustable threshold)
Wind alarm (adjustable threshold + time)
Depth alarm (adjustable threshold)
AIS alarm (CPA adjustable TCPA)

- Apple Watch:
Instruments View on Apple Watch
Instruments setup menu of the Apple Watch

- Miscellanous:

Computation of magnetic declination (WMM model).
Reference data bearings: True North (T) or magnetic (M).
Added tool "VAR" for magnetic declination display.
Various fixes.

Enjoy! :)

We've always loved the weather4D pro app and have been using it to sail around the world since 2010. It's incredibly powerful and provides some great features.

It's surprising to see that the new version is based around subscriptions?? One has to ask why when the old westher4D provides most of the same features apart from the charting and it does it without the subscriptions. Personally we won't be upgrading the app as we don't believe in paying for items we can get from the net for free. On the other hand we are happy to pay a once off fee for a great app that downloads and allows one to view the different grib files supplied from different sources as in the first version.

Well done with the app but it's a shame you've gone like most of the others and demanded subscriptions to view data that is supplied to yourself on a free basis through people's taxes. And to charge 80 euro for an app that requires subscriptions to view content that's provided for free is greedy. We will stick with the subscription free weather4D pro and use our iSailor to export the routes into weather4D.

It's surprising to see that the new version is based around subscriptions??

In Weather4D as Weather4D Pro low resolution models was already for free and high resolution by subscription. A look on the Comparative Table shows differences between apps. All models prediction (including GFS) are downloaded, controled, hosted and provided to final user by Weather4D's servers, 4 to 6 time a day depending such model. WRF models are calculated by Weather4D 4 time a day in order to be delivered. MyOcean currents models are raw data translated in GRIB1 4 time a day in order to be uploaded. Subscription is only to offset the cost of these services, nothing else.

Anyway, happy you enjoy this powerful app :)

Is there a direct connections/download process when using sat phone like in Igrib?

At this time satellite request is not yet featured in the app. it will done in 3d Q. Two methods will be implemented: first one same as Weather4D Pro, that is to say an automatic SailDocs request wrote in Outbox in Iridium Mail & Web app, ready to be sent through Optimizer gateway connected to Iridium satphone (or XGate app, ready to be sent through Optimizer gateway connected to all other satphones brands). This first method needs a manual action to send the mail.

Second method will be a direct request from Weather4D 2.0 to Weather4D servers through Iridium GO! It will be the best and more friendly way.

Next release 2.0.18 in review in Apple AppStore will allow direct downloads of GRIB files with an Iridium GO!

The app manage all connection process to its own servers. All forecast models will be available to download (GFS, NAM, COAMPS, GEM, WW3, etc.).

Read more about the great new feature (as soon as the app will be published) on Weather4D Website.

Next release 2.0.18 in review in Apple AppStore will allow direct downloads of GRIB files with an Iridium GO!

The app manage all connection process to its own servers. All forecast models will be available to download (GFS, NAM, COAMPS, GEM, WW3, etc.).

Read more about the great new feature (as soon as the app will be published) on Weather4D Website.

The grib files are pretty large. Will the Iridium Go be able to handle the 35mb files?

The grib files are pretty large. Will the Iridium Go be able to handle the 35mb files?

35mb?

what are you downloading?

a typical file size for me is under 100kb when i'm using iridium - and you really don't want to go much higher than that unless you have a fleet broadband or vsat connection.

so i just checked - the GFS for the entire region of newport-bermuda, at 0.5deg resolution, all time steps for 5 days, wind, pressure, wave height.., is 83kb

so i just checked - the GFS for the entire region of newport-bermuda, at 0.5deg resolution, all time steps for 5 days, wind, pressure, wave height.., is 83kb

GFS, for LA to Honolulu is 36.2 mb. I just checked. This is for 2.0, not Pro. 10 days, 3 hour intervals.

^^^That's nuts. Should be around a tenth of that. Try saildocs?

Not yet. I don't have a pactor modem (yet) and the Iridium phone on the boat I'm buying is too ancient to get data into my computer (or so I've been led to believe). So I was hoping the Go would work with Weather4D, which I prefer over PredictWInd. Even PredictWind uses huge files for a 14-day forecast.

Not yet. I don't have a pactor modem (yet) and the Iridium phone on the boat I'm buying is too ancient to get data into my computer (or so I've been led to believe). So I was hoping the Go would work with Weather4D, which I prefer over PredictWInd. Even PredictWind uses huge files for a 14-day forecast.

How ancient do Iridium phones get? I've used a 9500 to download gribs and emails via saildocs. Offshore I typically download a local GRIB with higher time and geo resolutions and a synoptic GRIB at lower res to save bandwidth.

How ancient do Iridium phones get? I've used a 9500 to download gribs and emails via saildocs. Offshore I typically download a local GRIB with higher time and geo resolutions and a synoptic GRIB at lower res to save bandwidth.

Let me check. I haven't taken possession of the boat yet--my bank just fed-ex'd a check to the seller's bank today. But I'm on a short schedule to shove off to Hawaii in 5-6 weeks and I need to figure this out asap. Any advice you can offer would be very welcomed!

Sounds like a lot of moving parts. Good luck!

IIRC, I got the data kit for the 9500 from outfitter satellite. It was an rs232 thing that later got a serial to usb converter. It worked with various versions of windows and airmail.

IIRC, I got the data kit for the 9500 from outfitter satellite. It was an rs232 thing that later got a serial to usb converter. It worked with various versions of windows and airmail.

Yeah, Mac here, no serial, but usb. Not sure if there is a data kit on the boat, but I've priced them. If Go's really work (some very mixed reviews out there) it might be better than resurrecting the sat phone. Looking into Delorme, too. And Pactor.

I wish I had the luxury of time. Fortunately, I found a boat that is nearly ready to go.

I think the phone on the boat is a 9550.

Ping VALIS for info, he has some way of requesting gribs that gives him much smaller files to work with.

Yeah, Mac here, no serial, but usb. Not sure if there is a data kit on the boat, but I've priced them. If Go's really work (some very mixed reviews out there) it might be better than resurrecting the sat phone. Looking into Delorme, too. And Pactor.

I wish I had the luxury of time. Fortunately, I found a boat that is nearly ready to go.

I think the phone on the boat is a 9550.

Yeah, I'm not recommending spending money on resurrecting an old phone. Just testifying that even the "ancient" ones could do the data transfer. Newer equipment will be much better particularly with a mac.

all the iridium phones - 9500, 9505, 9505a, 9555, 9575, as well as the Go download at the same max speed - 2400kbps "native" download speed

you will not gain any speed by getting a newer iridium handset than the 9500

they all claim an "effective" throughput of 9600kbps due to "compression" - but that was based on using the old iridium apollo software, and their own servers. other services now offer compression too.

remember that most of what you are downloading is already compressed - most GRIB's already use JPEG compression when prepared by whatever meteorological service or private service you are getting them from.

there is only so much you can compress something...

as far as LA to Honolulu - i just checked that region - GFS for 10 days, at 0.5deg, no time steps closer than 6hrs, wind, pressure, wave height - 268kb. the same model at 1 deg resolution is 72kb!!!!

i have been doing iridium WX download since my first transatlantic in 2003.., i did that with a 9500 handset...,

typically.., that 72kb file is the _largest_ i would download with a handset - i usually get them under 50kb

at that time.., the GFS was the only model available, it was only available at 6hr time steps, going to 1 day timesteps.., max resolution was 1deg, and there weren't nearly so many variables available.

just get what you need! 10 days is more than enough offshore - 1 deg is enough..., and so on.

if you are getting a file size of 32mb you are doing something wrong!

i mostly use VSAT and Fleet Broadband offshore now - i wouldn't _ever_ download a 32mb file even with those broadband services! FBB is ~$10-20/MB! VSAT is less.., but still... there is nothing you need that is even 1% of that.

edit - so just in case it isn't clear..., you will never download a 32mb file with an iridium handset..., don't even try.

for completeness sake i should mention that the globalstar network provides faster data speeds over a handset than does the iridium network - 9600kbps "native" download speed with a claimed 32000 kbps with compression - but that's subject to the same limitations as the iridium compression. globalstar has some pretty serious coverage and connection issues though and i don't recommend it.

i have done many long passages with iridium handsets - 19 days being the longest.., it's all you need.

as far as LA to Honolulu - i just checked that region - GFS for 10 days, at 0.5deg, no time steps closer than 6hrs, wind, pressure, wave height - 268kb. the same model at 1 deg resolution is 72kb!!!!

That was not using the Weather4D 2.0 app, was it? If so, then how? If not, then what did you use?

Thanks for the info.

At 1 deg resolution, 12-hour time steps, wind, gust and pressure only, I got it down to 284kb. That is still huge.

sounds like a problem with the app...

try an email request to saildocs

that's what i use with the handset

when i have broadband at sea, i get it from the saildocs feature within expedition, but with a handset i always use an email request

also - you don't _need_ gust - i would get wave height before that

At 1 deg resolution, 12-hour time steps, wind, gust and pressure only, I got it down to 284kb. That is still huge.

10 day forecast is essentially useless except for shoreside vague route planning. In routing for Hawaii races, planning at home with 10 day forecasts at the highest res possible is nice for guesstimating ETE and routes, but while in transit 2 maybe 3 days out is all you really want. Often I'll only look for the next 24 hours at most. That will allow for high res detail, wind, wave and press, maybe current if your doing an east coast trip in small packets.

What source are you using?

Weather4D 2.0.21 comes with a fully renewed downloading charts system, a direct connection to get GRIB files with Iridium GO!™ (no more Saildocs request needed), and a number of new features and improvements. Have a look on Changelog and update the free iBook User Guide with new videos about charting download and GRIB download.