• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Spudly

Syd-Hobart Yachts, Where are they Now?

After 15 years living away form the water (Very Soon to change!!) the building race between Wild Oats XI and Comanche has really got me interested more than I have been in a long time in racing and I hope to soon get back into sailing in one form or another, (Last regatta was 2000 cherub Nationals!)

It has really got me thinking about the boats I used to Admire walking the wharfs of the CYC and where they are now? My old favourite Brindabella is still around, I remember seeing her when first launched and for me she is still one of the best looking boats out there (except that white Dacron main, common guys time to upgrade!)

Does anyone know where some of the other boats from the 90's and earlier have gone?

Amazon, I remember it burnt and was on a mooring for a while, did it ever get fixed?

Sayonara

Morning Glory

New Zealand Endeavour

Bumble Bee

Condor

Thinking back its unbelievable how much the boats have changed In the last 15 years!

bumblebee is competing as Nants Whiskey

97 went to victoria, then possibly perth

97 is in Melbourne at Royal Melbourne yacht squadron and is for sale and so is knee deep as well.

Pulpit

Sayonara was in storage but got chopped up and dumped last year.

Good article about Bumblebee on sailworld today.

Condor is up at airlie, charter boat.

Condor did the ABRW this year and it looked pretty good - certainly a lot better condition than the rest of backpacker fleet.

Bobsled built in the 80's...would have to win the "biggest transformation" prize. Light skinny alloy with fuck all righting moment...flew downhill and fell over on its arse going uphill in anything over 12k. Held for a tad in early 90's the world speed record done during a downhill Bris Gladstone.

post-108919-0-34413100-1450571905_thumb.jpg

post-108919-0-39067700-1450571919_thumb.jpg

there was a few downwind flyers back then..

Fudge?

Innkeeper

These where back in the days when the Original?? Wild Oats was prime spot first on the left as you walked out onto the CYC marina I think!?

got an OLD! vhs tape somewhere at home from Innkeeper I think it was the Hobart doing ridiculous speeds in heavy wind taking wave after wave over the bow. Then someone opened the hatch! I learnt some colourful new language I hadn't before heard as a young boy watching that! Hopefully I still have the video somewhere..

Police Car was always a looker. Seem to recall a thread here a while back, about the boat's whereabouts and reno. Is it up on the lake these days?

turns out innkeeper is in a yard in Campsie! info in other thread! Dam I miss Sailing.. Might have to find a ride once I get back onto the coast! Jervis Bay Area if anyone is down that way!

just found a thread on aussie pocket maxi's! should have looked in there, some old favourites coming up!

Exile

Broomstick

Was Fudge a Bumblebee? Who remembers the great hope Cyclone, when bad rules catch out naughty boats! :)

I recall Fudge as the ex-Matador, Farr design. Went to Airlie from memory

Exile still in Newport, painted blue and 6 feet longer with a taller rig. Called Blue Yankee, then Aurora, now as Kodiak gearing up for her 6th or 7th Bermuda Race

just found a thread on aussie pocket maxi's! should have looked in there, some old favourites coming up!

Exile

Broomstick

Was Fudge a Bumblebee? Who remembers the great hope Cyclone, when bad rules catch out naughty boats! :)

Or does he mean the old future shock. I saw it a few months ago - might have been in Mooloolaba I think.

Cyclone...a slow moving depression.

Yep owned by the local panel beaters. Then he bought walk on the wild side as I recall. We called it walk on the windows because it was so tender.

Exile

Broomstick

Or does he mean the old future shock. I saw it a few months ago - might have been in Mooloolaba I think.

Future Shock lives at the CYCA

Yep owned by the local panel beaters. Then he bought walk on the wild side as I recall. We called it walk on the windows because it was so tender.
This Frers 50 was originally commissioned by Max Ryan from Sydney in 1990 I think, the first $1 million 50 footer. Went to Admirals Cup in 91 where Australia came dead motherless last. He hated the "slow moving depression" tag. He bailed out of it not to long after that where it went to Queensland as part of some business swap and then sold locally. Thing was a shocker... crew gear and stationary looked nice though.

This Frers 50 was originally commissioned by Max Ryan from Sydney in 1990 I think, the first $1 million 50 footer. Went to Admirals Cup in 91 where Australia came dead motherless last. He hated the "slow moving depression" tag. He bailed out of it not to long after that where it went to Queensland as part of some business swap and then sold locally. Thing was a shocker... crew gear and stationary looked nice though.

Yep it was indeed. Roachy got rid of it pretty quick.

Exile

Broomstick

Ah that's were it was thanks. I spend far too much time in marinas. Does it go out? I loved that boat back in the day.

There is only one AFAIK

There is only one. She had a refurb about 6 years ago after Ron and a Craig Ellis bought her where she gained a stern extension, water ballast and a paint job. Very well looked after, just never sailed.

After 15 years living away form the water (Very Soon to change!!) the building race between Wild Oats XI and Comanche has really got me interested more than I have been in a long time in racing and I hope to soon get back into sailing in one form or another, (Last regatta was 2000 cherub Nationals!)

It has really got me thinking about the boats I used to Admire walking the wharfs of the CYC and where they are now? My old favourite Brindabella is still around, I remember seeing her when first launched and for me she is still one of the best looking boats out there (except that white Dacron main, common guys time to upgrade!)

Does anyone know where some of the other boats from the 90's and earlier have gone?

Amazon, I remember it burnt and was on a mooring for a while, did it ever get fixed?

Sayonara

Morning Glory

New Zealand Endeavour

Bumble Bee

Condor

Thinking back its unbelievable how much the boats have changed In the last 15 years!

Brinda's main is spectra, not Dacron...

And Amazon is long gone. She ended up in the mangroves in Brisbane, still burnt out.

What's' going on with the most recent bumblebee which was refurbed at Woolwich marina and only recently sold?

She's now a very nice "cruising" boat. The owner and his 3 kids love her.

Exile

Broomstick

Ah that's were it was thanks. I spend far too much time in marinas. Does it go out? I loved that boat back in the day.

Broomstick went to NZ not that long ago. A few likely Kiwi lads sailed it from Sydney back to Auckland. The rig was to be used in a new build? Apparently it's still being sailed in NZ? Anyone in Auckland seen it?

Pouring cash into refitting maxis from that era is like buying your granny a new sit of tits. It will make people look but the young guys will still turn down a ride on her.

Broomstick went to NZ not that long ago. A few likely Kiwi lads sailed it from Sydney back to Auckland. The rig was to be used in a new build? Apparently it's still being sailed in NZ? Anyone in Auckland seen it?

The plan I was told by the new owner was to convert to a cruising boat

Remove water tanks

Add powered winches

New extended cabin top out to the gunwales (the new owner is 6'4")

Reduced cockpit area

I think Cyclone went to Hobart, raced in her original form for a while (I did the 96 Big Boat Challenge on her) then the owner turned her into a cruiser/racer.

This is her

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1994249/gallery-launceston-to-hobart-yacht-race/#slide=17

Cyclone is at southport YC and is club raced

Pulpit

Hmmm.....quote from 2013 Launceston to Hobart press release

A late entry and now the biggest boat in the fleet is Fish Frenzy, Steve Keal’s modified Farr 50 better known asCyclone. These days the boat sails more in a cruiser/racer mode with roast dinners and cappuccinos served to the crew on watch.

Why would Larry/God have Sayonara cut up?

I'd like to see or know where the 1ton brigade are

Sagacious, Ultimate Challenge, Prime Factor, Southern Cross, Indian Pacific, Queensland Maid, Hitchiker 2, Another Concubine, Szechwan, Inch by Winch, True Blue, Nadia iv, Prime Times, Joint Venture, Westernport, Finestere, Intrigue, Dry White, Black Magic, Apollo vi, Seaulater, Once More Dear Friends, etc etc

Maybe some bigger boats like Madam de Farge, Mirrabooka, Siska 5, Evelyn.....

There was a Jutson 50, orignally called Second Term, which i think became Braveheart...

Any pictures Apollo before arse re-model.

Sagacious, Ultimate Challenge, Prime Factor, Southern Cross, Indian Pacific, Queensland Maid, Hitchiker 2, Another Concubine, Szechwan, Inch by Winch, True Blue, Nadia iv, Prime Times, Joint Venture, Westernport, Finestere, Intrigue, Dry White, Black Magic, Apollo vi, Seaulater, Once More Dear Friends, etc etc

There was a Jutson 50, orignally called Second Term, which i think became Braveheart...

Sagacious (if the owner follows through) is in the shed being rebuilt. Rig change, chain plates moved, new keel and rudder. He seems keen to restore the old girl to a beautiful state, but the bills were looking.... Large.

Inch by Winch went north after Andrew Wenham restored and sold her. Current location unknown.

Adrenalin I last saw in Gladstone 4 years ago. She was looking ok, but not as good as she did back in the late 90's.

Witchdoctor was sold to a guy up Byron way 3 years ago. She was due to be "cruisified" from her in-line spreader with runners rig and to have her interior gentrified.

Pouring cash into refitting maxis from that era is like buying your granny a new sit of tits. It will make people look but the young guys will still turn down a ride on her.

It beats torturing yourself on a clapped out Sydney 41.... Now, what was that about my granny?

The Farr 40's Prime Factor & True Blue are still sailing in WA.

True Blue is limited to river sailing with no hinge in the rig and a series of bridges in the way.

Prime Factor does a bit of offshore racing.

The Davidson 50 Finistere is also in WA and races the longer offshore races but has a heap of creature comforts like leather lounges now.

There is also one of the Sagacious's over in WA

There is only one AFAIK
There is only one. She had a refurb about 6 years ago after Ron and a Craig Ellis bought her where she gained a stern extension, water ballast and a paint job. Very well looked after, just never sailed.
Only one Future Shock but was a sister ship to Rager.

Infinity III (ex Brindabella) was sold to Melbourne last year.

Prime Factor is racing in Fremantle. Hitchhiker also constantly campaigned.

Pretty sure True Blue is still floating over here as is Finistere.

Curious to also know what happened to Second Term

Edit, I see Sandgropr beat me

There was a flotilla of Sagacious's.

Sagacious 11, the Nantucket 43 masthead version, is languishing for sale at Sandringham. Hasn't moved for a couple of years at least.

Gary Appleby also did a fractional version of the same hull design but haven't seen that one around for a very long time.

Skiffie legend, sailmaker Jack Cassidy's last Evelyn (yes named his trillion boats all after his wife) was a cold-moulded 55-footer and pretty radical for its time. She finished well in a few Hobarts in the late 70's early 80's I recall. I assume still in Perth?

It beats torturing yourself on a clapped out Sydney 41.... Now, what was that about my granny?
They are called BH 41's , Jason and if you had ever sailed on one you would know that it is far from torturous. Hope the refit of your 1st boat goes well mate. Did you buy it so you could finally get a drive?

Skiffie legend, sailmaker Jack Cassidy's last Evelyn (yes named his trillion boats all after his wife) was a cold-moulded 55-footer and pretty radical for its time. She finished well in a few Hobarts in the late 70's early 80's I recall. I assume still in Perth?

Evelyn has raced extensively as Australian Maid, based out of Darwin, for probably >20 years. Owner Jon Wardill took her on a world tour a few years back and won his class at Cowes Week, raced Antigua etc. He competed in the Asian series for many years - gave up Kings Cup a few years ago because the organisers refused to allow him to race in Premier Cruising, insisting he match the old wooden warhorse against carbon TP52s etc in Racing 1. She has many Raja Muda, China Sea Race etc under her keel (which is an updated "L" fin and bulb).

Jon gave a start to many Darwin youngsters in offshore and ocean racing and was awarded Sailor of the Year (several times IIRC) in recognition of his efforts. "The Maid" is fondly remembered by many sailors world wide.

One night race a few years back, we sailed over a shallow patch on a lower than expected tide, only to find there was no way out. Under kite, doing 8.5, Jon could just steer straight ahead and hope a channel would materialise. None did, and it was the only time in my life I had to call to the crew "brace for impact"! We didn't finish that race, and every other boat in the race grounded at some point!

The Maid was recently sold and I hear she's staying in Asia and continuing to race there. There's many a mile left in her yet.

I owned the Davidson 40 Blue Max 2 for a few years. It was on gumtree last time I heard.

Evelyn has raced extensively as Australian Maid, based out of Darwin, for probably >20 years. Owner Jon Wardill took her on a world tour a few years back and won his class at Cowes Week, raced Antigua etc. He competed in the Asian series for many years - gave up Kings Cup a few years ago because the organisers refused to allow him to race in Premier Cruising, insisting he match the old wooden warhorse against carbon TP52s etc in Racing 1. She has many Raja Muda, China Sea Race etc under her keel (which is an updated "L" fin and bulb).

Jon gave a start to many Darwin youngsters in offshore and ocean racing and was awarded Sailor of the Year (several times IIRC) in recognition of his efforts. "The Maid" is fondly remembered by many sailors world wide.

One night race a few years back, we sailed over a shallow patch on a lower than expected tide, only to find there was no way out. Under kite, doing 8.5, Jon could just steer straight ahead and hope a channel would materialise. None did, and it was the only time in my life I had to call to the crew "brace for impact"! We didn't finish that race, and every other boat in the race grounded at some point!

The Maid was recently sold and I hear she's staying in Asia and continuing to race there. There's many a mile left in her yet.

Thanks for that Rec....if you had looked around you might have found a few sets of trapezzes below to get you out of trouble :-)

Ultimate Challenge in Hobart

WP_20141213_001-1280x718.jpg

Black Magic in Hobart

10389014_425986420898043_804881448543223

Nadia IV also in Hobart

IMAG0101_zpsybvuz2fq.jpg

IMAG0100_zpsmwybc7ms.jpg

Intrigue still kicking arse - lost the rig last year and now has a Sydney 38 rig I believe

bruny%20intrigue02.jpg

There was a flotilla of Sagacious's.

Sagacious 11, the Nantucket 43 masthead version, is languishing for sale at Sandringham. Hasn't moved for a couple of years at least.

Gary Appleby also did a fractional version of the same hull design but haven't seen that one around for a very long time.

Appleby's boat had a recent conversion to a cruiser racer which included a swept aft rig. Last seen in Woodford Bay on the Lane Cover River

Helsal II (Adams Radford) 2nd and 3rd over the line in the early 80's is under the knife being refitted as a comfortable cruiser racer - extended, lifted, a/c, re-powered, electric winches, nip and tuck in a big way.

There is only one AFAIK

NEVER EVER ..... can't remember the last time

What's' going on with the most recent bumblebee which was refurbed at Woolwich marina and only recently sold?

Recent refurb included interior + power winches + Modded rig + New black north sails + bow thruster ...... Owner is the current owner of Brindabella so he now owns 2 Hobart winners + a Brenta 42. Jim is a nice guy.

5 kids Jas......

Helsal II (Adams Radford) 2nd and 3rd over the line in the early 80's is under the knife being refitted as a comfortable cruiser racer - extended, lifted, a/c, re-powered, electric winches, nip and tuck in a big way.

OV - I don't think there was any Radford involvement in Helsal 2.

Yeah, extended by 6', topsides raised by 18", completely new deck, new lifting keel, new twin rudders, new rig, new winches, new instruments, new sails. Why bother with keeping the old polyester/airex hull? Especially as it would have needed beefing up to take the new loads (and I'm fairly sure there was a patch of delamination also). (I'd be surprised if the little Volvo has been kept as well). Last I heard (almost a year ago) a new chequebook had arrived on the scene to get work moving again - any more news?

Thanks ate, I always figured that if GR had been involved, there would have been more than the 4'6" headroom that was all Joe needed!

There were others from the west as well, from memory. The first of Milner's "Primes" was i think Prime Suspect, which i think i last saw being campaigned as "Striproll Geelong", a farr 136 the same as Nadia iv, then Prime Times, sponsored by the Sunday Times in WA, sponsorship rules had to be changed to Prime Minister, which sailed a couple of Hobarts, represented WA in the 1989 Southern cross cup with True Blue and Drumbeat. Peter Milner built all three and Second Term/Braveheart. Milner also had davidson 50 called Prime Example.(i think this boat is somewhere in vic now with a stern scoop added)

Jack Cassidy also had a 136 called Evelyn, i think it bricked it somewhere along the south WA coast in an Albany race.

There was a one ton Finesterre, Before the davidson 50.

Once a Jolly Swagman, i think was owned by Alan Briety of Limit Fame had it for a while, then it became I"M a Mess i believe.

What happened to Beyond Thunder dome?

Venture One a frers 40, might have been owned by Max Ryan of Cyclone.

Yeah, extended by 6', topsides raised by 18", completely new deck, new lifting keel, new twin rudders, new rig, new winches, new instruments, new sails. Why bother with keeping the old polyester/airex hull? Especially as it would have needed beefing up to take the new loads (and I'm fairly sure there was a patch of delamination also). (I'd be surprised if the little Volvo has been kept as well). Last I heard (almost a year ago) a new chequebook had arrived on the scene to get work moving again - any more news?

I think if you look back in old mags Radford was mentioned a fair bit in the non concrete unproven design, i thought a win win as if it flunked the pocket maxi would protect the proven house designs & if a winner then big kudos to the new kid from mentoring office :)http://www.radford-yacht.com/past/past.html

Was always impressed by this boat, to the point that I'm a bit disappointed that it's getting modded.

There is only one AFAIK
Only one Future Shock but was a sister ship to Rager.

Infinity III (ex Brindabella) was sold to Melbourne last year.

Thank you - there's a lot of guys here in Sydney wondering where Infinity III had ended up.

My interest in sailing started via long band wireless in Singapore listening to the Gretel challenge, when we came back home i followed the Sydney to Hobart & yachts like Astor, Kialoa Ondine II, Windward Passage & American Eagle came to mind, so my first visit to the MHYC starting to learn Cherubs i saw the marina parade and much praise for this purple tiny thing = truely an OMG moment imagining that doing the S2H. I totes loved the green sister ship Granny Smith :)

The green one is actually a Peter Joubert designed Currawong 30 but there are indeed similarities.

As Airbourne said it's been for sale for quite a while. I've been regularly going back to the Yachthub ad for the last 18 months or so to see if the price might sneak down to my price point. Having just turned 60 I fear I may not last long enough for it to get there.

They are called BH 41's , Jason and if you had ever sailed on one you would know that it is far from torturous. Hope the refit of your 1st boat goes well mate. Did you buy it so you could finally get a drive?

Yawn - I did sail a 41.

With Nigel Holman. Who was, and always will be an absolute gent. May he rest in peace.

Zurich / Cuckoo's Nest had her moments, and the 41 is the only boat I've ever liked from the Sydney/BH stable. But there is something about steering one under the big kite (yep, I got to drive) and having the bow submarine on you - while Nigel reminds you that the top rudder bearing "may be a bit dodgy."

So it was exciting, but does the 41 compare to a maxi? Sorry, but no. Not even close. Not even an old maxi.

And as for 1st boat refit - been there, done that. Currently waiting for boat #3 to catch our eye now that we've got a baby to consider.

Oh yeah - I'm also one of the young guys going to Hobart on an old maxi that I should be (according to you) knocking back for a ride. Oh... and I'm getting to drive there too.

So.... do you want to keep playing that Asshat card, or are you going to dust yourself off and pretend you're a part of the human race?

Recent refurb included interior + power winches + Modded rig + New black north sails + bow thruster ...... Owner is the current owner of Brindabella so he now owns 2 Hobart winners + a Brenta 42. Jim is a nice guy.

5 kids Jas......

Yeah, I wasn't going to out the boss.... but I guess if you've worked hard enough that you can afford an 80 foot race boat and a 60 foot cruiser...

And I only counted 3 kids because from what one of them has told me, it's mainly been Jim and the 3 middle kids enjoying the step up from the Brenta 42 "cruiser." Actually - I'd also hesitate to call them kids. They're mature beyond their years, and wonderfully grounded people.

Really? I hadn't heard.

Maid won kings cup in prem cruising in 04 and the RM same year.

The Doc was pretty happy.

Yawn - I did sail a 41.

With Nigel Holman. Who was, and always will be an absolute gent. May he rest in peace.

Zurich / Cuckoo's Nest had her moments, and the 41 is the only boat I've ever liked from the Sydney/BH stable. But there is something about steering one under the big kite (yep, I got to drive) and having the bow submarine on you - while Nigel reminds you that the top rudder bearing "may be a bit dodgy."

So it was exciting, but does the 41 compare to a maxi? Sorry, but no. Not even close. Not even an old maxi.

And as for 1st boat refit - been there, done that. Currently waiting for boat #3 to catch our eye now that we've got a baby to consider.

Oh yeah - I'm also one of the young guys going to Hobart on an old maxi that I should be (according to you) knocking back for a ride. Oh... and I'm getting to drive there too.

So.... do you want to keep playing that Asshat card, or are you going to dust yourself off and pretend you're a part of the human race?

Good for you Jason. The rest of the crew are lucky to have someone with your sense of humour on board. Lucky it's a big boat.

Really? I hadn't heard.

My old man sailed 16ft skiffs with Jack, he took one of Jack's favorite sayings to heart "Don't tell me what you can't do, tell me what you fuckin' can do!!", i remember him scorching around the swan on a red boat called "Wings", i don't know who deigned it. Sorry for going off topic.

I owned the Davidson 40 Blue Max 2 for a few years. It was on gumtree last time I heard.

I raced against a blue davidson 40 called blue max in Port Lincoln this year. Prolly same boat.

Weird owner, screamed like fuck at his crew the entire regatta. Then we sat with em at preso nite - what happened at preso nite stays. at preso nite. Suffice to say that we started a pretty good paper plane war outta the menus.

I raced against a blue davidson 40 called blue max in Port Lincoln this year. Prolly same boat.

Weird owner, screamed like fuck at his crew the entire regatta. Then we sat with em at preso nite - what happened at preso nite stays. at preso nite. Suffice to say that we started a pretty good paper plane war outta the menus.

Have been waiting for this opportunity, thanks Dark Cloud.

Blue Max were the cunts who stripped everything they could outta their boat to lighten it for the last race at Lincoln Week when they had a sniff at a trophy. Not being overly bright, they had it all stacked up outside their marina side apartment for all the world to see. And I mean everything, bunk cushions, doors, galley drawers, spare sails, rope, the works. Check it out here:

post-25217-0-54223900-1450791039_thumb.jpg

And then they had the hide to collect the series PHD trophy after that. Can't stand cheating at any level.

My interest in sailing started via long band wireless in Singapore listening to the Gretel challenge, when we came back home i followed the Sydney to Hobart & yachts like Astor, Kialoa Ondine II, Windward Passage & American Eagle came to mind, so my first visit to the MHYC starting to learn Cherubs i saw the marina parade and much praise for this purple tiny thing = truely an OMG moment imagining that doing the S2H. I totes loved the green sister ship Granny Smith :)

The green one is actually a Peter Joubert designed Currawong 30 but there are indeed similarities.

As Airbourne said it's been for sale for quite a while. I've been regularly going back to the Yachthub ad for the last 18 months or so to see if the price might sneak down to my price point. Having just turned 60 I fear I may not last long enough for it to get there.

Plenty of `Wongs' have done well in Syd-Hob. Bullet proof little boats... Lollipop (languishing in Birchgrove), Granny Smith (cruising Tassie), Gumblossom (in Queensland) and the mighty Zeus II. Lollipop corrected out 4th behind 3 maxis in '77, Granny Smith a 3rd in 74, and Zeus II has had a win in 81 and nearly pulled off a win(under IMS) in 2002 but ended up 2nd by 4 mins when Storm Bay didn't offer up enough breeze.

I think if you look back in old mags Radford was mentioned a fair bit in the non concrete unproven design, i thought a win win as if it flunked the pocket maxi would protect the proven house designs & if a winner then big kudos to the new kid from mentoring office :)http://www.radford-yacht.com/past/past.html

Was always impressed by this boat, to the point that I'm a bit disappointed that it's getting modded.

I agree, I'm a bit saddened that it is getting altered that much. I crawled all over that boat as a kid. My old man went to Hobart on it in '88 and I was there at 5am when they crossed the line, Rags & Great News were 1 & 2. I was only 7 years old, but I remember it like yesterday. I got the job of passing out cans of Fosters to the crew for breakfast, everyone looked like shit, sunburnt, covered in salt, bloodshot eyes. Proud moment when I finished my first Hobart 17 years later, looked across to Elizabeth St pier as we were motoring in and said a quiet thank you to those crusty old bastards and that big blue boat, it was their fault that I was now completely fucked, sunburnt, covered in salt and needing a beer for breakfast.

I agree, I'm a bit saddened that it is getting altered that much. I crawled all over that boat as a kid. My old man went to Hobart on it in '88 and I was there at 5am when they crossed the line, Rags & Great News were 1 & 2. I was only 7 years old, but I remember it like yesterday. I got the job of passing out cans of Fosters to the crew for breakfast, everyone looked like shit, sunburnt, covered in salt, bloodshot eyes. Proud moment when I finished my first Hobart 17 years later, looked across to Elizabeth St pier as we were motoring in and said a quiet thank you to those crusty old bastards and that big blue boat, it was their fault that I was now completely fucked, sunburnt, covered in salt and needing a beer for breakfast.

I'm saddened as well. I really, really tried to save her as a piece of Australian yachting history, but short of buying her myself (my wife was terrified I would), I couldn't do it. Bill Rawson (previous owner) and I teamed up and took her in the 2008 Darwin Ambon race to demonstrate to potential purchasers that she was in good racing condition, but there was only one buyer out there, and in the end, that's what happened. I loved the boat, and had 2 good years playing with it as if it was my own, but ...

Helsall II - She was pretty tired

I did an offshore on her shortly after the 98 Hobart and she was pretty worked out by then - the guys said she was twisting across the waves in 98 with the hatches popping open during the race. She creaked and groaned a lot when I raced her and it wasn't a rough race. She then got sold and did many miles around pacific and up to Asia as a cruiser and wasn't maintained very well (if at all) before I saw her again and she then needed a lot of work by then with lots of problems, leaking fuel tank in the keel etc etc, let alone needing a bit of head room ;) She's a nice boat and I'm sure her mods will put her back into good use.

I raced against a blue davidson 40 called blue max in Port Lincoln this year. Prolly same boat.Weird owner, screamed like fuck at his crew the entire regatta. Then we sat with em at preso nite - what happened at preso nite stays. at preso nite. Suffice to say that we started a pretty good paper plane war outta the menus.
Have been waiting for this opportunity, thanks Dark Cloud.Blue Max were the cunts who stripped everything they could outta their boat to lighten it for the last race at Lincoln Week when they had a sniff at a trophy. Not being overly bright, they had it all stacked up outside their marina side apartment for all the world to see. And I mean everything, bunk cushions, doors, galley drawers, spare sails, rope, the works. Check it out here:attachicon.gifIMG_2464.JPGAnd then they had the hide to collect the series PHD trophy after that. Can't stand cheating at any level.

All they would have to have done was kill all the cockroach's and it would have been 100 kgs lighter. It had 4 front opening fridges when I owned it. Taking a few draws out wouldn't have changed much. Still debouching move but you will sail PHS...

Helsall II - She was pretty tired

I did an offshore on her shortly after the 98 Hobart and she was pretty worked out by then - the guys said she was twisting across the waves in 98 with the hatches popping open during the race. She creaked and groaned a lot when I raced her and it wasn't a rough race. She then got sold and did many miles around pacific and up to Asia as a cruiser and wasn't maintained very well (if at all) before I saw her again and she then needed a lot of work by then with lots of problems, leaking fuel tank in the keel etc etc, let alone needing a bit of head room ;) She's a nice boat and I'm sure her mods will put her back into good use.

Agree, it's a lot of boat to look after and when you are finishing with 45 footers in races these days it's a lot of money for not much result. About all you could do with it is go down the Bobsled/Cyclone route, at least its still floating and not being bulldozed into landfill.

Do you reckon the Nant Whiskey / Maxi Rags guys are looking forward to a big Southerly! I'm sure there are a few old timers that will be keeping an eye on her. I wonder what Syd thinks about it, I'm sure he'd love seeing her back on the water and in the race.

Looks excellently prepared so they should go alright. At least they've got big plans for it so they should get good value for money

I'm saddened as well. I really, really tried to save her as a piece of Australian yachting history, but short of buying her myself (my wife was terrified I would), I couldn't do it. Bill Rawson (previous owner) and I teamed up and took her in the 2008 Darwin Ambon race to demonstrate to potential purchasers that she was in good racing condition, but there was only one buyer out there, and in the end, that's what happened. I loved the boat, and had 2 good years playing with it as if it was my own, but ...

I remember someone saying she did a cape to rio, 10 to 15 years ago? Did really well too.

I also remember a port fairy one year on yoko. Helsal got the treble I think.

As well as a few bumps and scratches coming back through the heads. Lucky the tide was flooding!

Really? I hadn't heard.

My old man sailed 16ft skiffs with Jack, he took one of Jack's favorite sayings to heart "Don't tell me what you can't do, tell me what you fuckin' can do!!", i remember him scorching around the swan on a red boat called "Wings", i don't know who deigned it. Sorry for going off topic.

Wings was designed & built by Jack Cassidy, as were most of his boats, except for the farr136 that he bricked. Not sure jack as onboard for that......He built 34 boats called Evelyn, Wings was after his divorce..... Wings =fly away!

I remember someone saying she did a cape to rio, 10 to 15 years ago? Did really well too.

As well as a few bumps and scratches coming back through the heads. Lucky the tide was flooding!

Yeah, Bill Rawson took her in a Transpac and Cape to Rio, as well as Raja Muda, Kings Cup etc in Asia. I think Keith Flint put an extra ring frame forward after the 98 Hobart and that solved a lot of the twisting. She got a new keel after the grounding at the heads in Port Philip.

Yeah, Bill Rawson took her in a Transpac and Cape to Rio, as well as Raja Muda, Kings Cup etc in Asia. I think Keith Flint put an extra ring frame forward after the 98 Hobart and that solved a lot of the twisting. She got a new keel after the grounding at the heads in Port Philip.