Spudly

Syd-Hobart Yachts, Where are they Now?

3 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Had not seen the debrief but I understand that WR got a very big birthday before the race. I guess to get it back to the equivalent standard, you would be closer to spending 10k+ each on sails etc... 

They need small boat conditions to win, but so do a few other very competitive small boat like Komatsu Azzuro.

1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

I'm sure it's been seen here before. Definitely been for sale for a while.

Could this be the original design rudder? 

8ms91ifaukpuet0r3lcd87kp6.jpg

5 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

3 hours ago, hoppy said:

She had a refit and some major work on her about 18 months or so ago at “The Boats” at Coomera. She was in the yard for a few months or so. 

Pulpit 

4 hours ago, hoppy said:

It does look weird -- seems like it belongs further aft behind the keel extension, however the shots of the internal framing suggest that's the original spot.

Pendragon had a similar configuration (from RBSailing)

Lift+out+OTC+79+PMello.jpg

2 hours ago, Rushman said:

Nuzulu... Wasn't it one of three, sailed out of Brighton, owned by Harry ???

Paging @SPORTSCAR

Yes, NZ was one of Harry H's rides.

21 hours ago, hoppy said:

That's the second Sweet Caroline  I think there were three in total

22 hours ago, hoppy said:

So that's where the saloon table went!

15 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Yes, NZ was one of Harry H's rides.

Thanks

1 hour ago, DickDastardly said:

1980 Clipper Cup, apparently.  Nice hair.

marshall.jpg

And the famous Joe English trimming genoa, what a sailor and what a guy, now doing the big yacht race upstairs

1 hour ago, Grogo said:

And the famous Joe English trimming genoa, what a sailor and what a guy, now doing the big yacht race upstairs

The Irishman was back there in 84 on Hitchhiker incl Chas to provide the humour. Plenty of breeze and that warm deep blue colour of Hawaii water is unique and like a magnet. Big loss when Pan Am then Kenwood pulled the pin. I ended up killing some time poking around Ireland waiting for Cowes and Fasnet the following year thanks to his advice. Taken too early.

• Like 3

Saw what has happened to the old Sweet Caroline in an earlier post...criminal neglect and stupidity. I loved that boat and put her around too many racetracks in her time....one classic moment was in an admirals selection on Port Philip Bay ....the first time we were allowed to officially use our Hercules or Horizon (?) sat nav....heading up towards the rec mark off Arthurs Seat, the navigator was in the companionway mid sentence telling us we should be there....when we hit the mark stem-on!! Seems the boat ahead had also hit it and taken out the light!! Couldn't argue that the new technology wasn't accurate!

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 11:04 PM, Occsail said:

Whole tribe of IOR boats at RPAYC back in the day . Middle Harbour Express  ( Original Gold Coast Express with centre board - Davidson ) Hot August Night - Lexen ?  Anduril, Granny Knot,  Dubois 36 sister ships,  few Farr 40's.  Leroy Brown - Davidson 34, Kings Cross - Davidson 36, Ex Tension - Davidson 36

Seaquesta was a Dubois.  Alloy hull, real truck.

Few half tonners - Beach Inspector, Public Nuisance - Dubois

Sequesta was originally designed as a 2 tonner, but during the design and build phase the Farr 40's 1 tonners came out and started whipping in IOR

she was altered during the build to try to counter but it never really worked.

she was shortened to 41.5 feet from 44 and dropped to about 1 and 3/4 ton.

Nicely built boat but hard to sail with a tiller downwind in a breeze. (I actually preferred to steer her with the windward rail dipped to windward a fair bit - much to the fear of the crew!) (gave you a bit more time as the stern loaded up from the following waves to stop her broaching!)

Historic rumour is that Alf Neates (owner that had her built) was sitting at the Nav station watching the live news cross on a portable tv during the clipper cup in Hawaii when she lost her rig and saw it on tv as it happened. stuck his head out of the hatch and told the crew why it had happened!

She lived at Sandy for a couple of years late 90's early 2000's then went to Hobart I think. Be interested to see her now?

1 hour ago, Gweudo in oz said:

Sequesta was originally designed as a 2 tonner, but during the design and build phase the Farr 40's 1 tonners came out and started whipping in IOR

Nicely built boat but hard to sail with a tiller downwind in a breeze. (I actually preferred to steer her with the windward rail dipped to windward a fair bit - much to the fear of the crew!) (gave you a bit more time as the stern loaded up from the following waves to stop her broaching!)

Historic rumour is that Alf Neates (owner that had her built) was sitting at the Nav station watching the live news cross on a portable tv during the clipper cup in Hawaii when she lost her rig and saw it on tv as it happened. stuck his head out of the hatch and told the crew why it had happened!

She lived at Sandy for a couple of years late 90's early 2000's then went to Hobart I think. Be interested to see her now?

Yeah...nah! Sorry to bust that myth but I was onboard when the rig went for a swim at Clipper Cup...slo-mo over the side.. in the invitation race(?)...but there is truth in the fact that Sir Alf Untidy rarely left his throne at the nav station....and there is truth to the fact that she got a little squirrely on a square run....as a young Chris Dickson found out mid Molokai channel...middle of the night....he (and I ) were recently out of 470's and he seriously asked if we should get on the keel to bring her back up! Sequesta was buried to the safety lines and backed out of the wave before laying on her side for a few minutes...but that rig stayed in!!!

I had the pleasure of sailing her back to Oz that year...the beginning of my delivery career! Good Times!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gweudo in oz said:

Seaquesta is / was undergoing a refit in Auckland. Owner has posted on here in the past.

21 hours ago, Couta said:

Yeah...nah! Sorry to bust that myth but I was onboard when the rig went for a swim at Clipper Cup...slo-mo over the side.. in the invitation race(?)...but there is truth in the fact that Sir Alf Untidy rarely left his throne at the nav station....and there is truth to the fact that she got a little squirrely on a square run....as a young Chris Dickson found out mid Molokai channel...middle of the night....he (and I ) were recently out of 470's and he seriously asked if we should get on the keel to bring her back up! Sequesta was buried to the safety lines and backed out of the wave before laying on her side for a few minutes...but that rig stayed in!!!

I had the pleasure of sailing her back to Oz that year...the beginning of my delivery career! Good Times!

Outa,

so you must be responsible for the graffiti in the engine box! - " bleed, bleed, f$@ken bleed!"

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 9:20 AM, Corlen said:

Lexen 35. It is in Hobart at the DSS. Mate of mine owns it now and occasionally racing.

I remember that lovely boat... the guys on board were real gentlemen. I enjoyed sailing with them back then. Think the hull is now painted white, used to be clear cold molded, the wood looked great with the yellowy/beige deck and stripes. Was a great few seasons sailing her!

17 hours ago, Gweudo in oz said:

Outa,

so you must be responsible for the graffiti in the engine box! - " bleed, bleed, f$@ken bleed!"

It was a marinized VW Golf from memory...and yep...it had to be bled..particularly after I trusted the fuel in Kiribati and clogged the filters with metal swarf....head down in the engine for a few hours with that one!!!

A couple of pics from 2016 Sydney Hobart, UBOX, formerly Pretty Fly III. A pretty good race record in the Sydney Hobart including Div 0 winner in 2014 as Pretty Fly then 3rd overall IRC and 1st overall ORCi in 2016.

Currently in Hong Kong and is looking for a new home. If I have the Wonga I would have her myself, she is a weapon.

With perhaps one of the best records over the past 10 years in the Sydney Hobart with 14 x top 10 finishes across the Cookson 50 fleet compared to only 4 in the 100 footers (and 3 of those were WOXI).

In fact the Cookson 50 design has won just about everything. Mascalzone Latino the Middle Sea Race; Kuka3 the RORC Transatlantic Race; Chieftain the Fastnet Race and Victoire the Sydney Hobart. 

I cannot recall ANY design that has had such a consistent record, surely one of Bruce Farr and Russell Bowler's finest.

8.jpg

IMG_2708.JPG

On 5/21/2019 at 3:07 PM, DickDastardly said:

1980 Clipper Cup, apparently.  Nice hair.

marshall.jpg

Bastard. You just rubbed in the fact that the only time I sailed on her I was young and had hair.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 9:05 PM, Gweudo in oz said:

?????  Seaquesta was '81 and she did the Hobart that year rating 2 ton (.8190 TCF) ; a few ticks above Hitchhiker which was the world 2 ton champion that year. Seaquest also rated a tick higher than Police Car, her inspiration, which was also a true 2-tonner and had done well at the 1979 2 ton worlds.  The Farr 40s came out '83 and rated about 1.5ft less. The 44 foot 2 tonners came out later, when the 2 ton limit was lifted from 32.0 to 34.5.

She did OK years later out of Pittwater with Peter Nicholson. I sailed her a few times and I recall him saying that he reckoned that with her age allowance she was as fast on IOR and over the line as the Farr 40s in medium conditions, but not as good at the extremes. He later shifted to the Farr 40 Queensland Maid, another boat that was interesting on the tiller during hard runs.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:48 PM, Couta said:

I happened to pass through the bar at RGYC last Saturday afternoon and saw this action shot of Seaquesta hanging above the door near the Notice Board. From back in the days when the Advertiser Trophy racing was held in the late afternoon south westerlies around triangular courses with real shy-to-shy gybes* in pressure right out the front of the yacht club on Corio Bay for all to see, not halfway to Port Arlington where even the Hubble Telescope would be troubled:

* I'm guessing many bowmen these days would never have done an S2S gybe let alone an S2S gybe peel.

IMG_0610.thumb.PNG.28c389f926df7df11479e737763b3255.PNG

• Like 2

^^^ Nice one SportsCar^^^ I'll have to check that one out next time I'm at RGYC....not sure exactly what's happening here as nobody is on the rail and the IOR boats were notorious for spinning out .....and you're right about S2S gybes and the sometimes struggle to lay the gybe mark....good times!

S2S gybe peel!  Can't ever remember being quite that silly,  mind you there are quite a few things I don't remember from that period.

Did once roll a Holland two tonner in,  well did that a lot more than once,  but this time it was in the middle of a gybe peel.   That lead to an interesting little period of of bad language while trying to untwist two spinnakers and associated sheets/braces etc.

The windex never stayed dusty very long on those boats!

9 hours ago, TUBBY said:

... in the middle of a gybe peel.   That lead to an interesting little period of of bad language while trying to untwist two spinnakers and associated sheets/braces etc.

"Special sailing words of encouragement" - Fuck, those were the days!:lol:

Got caught in a Gybe Peel on the Geelong passage race on Joint Venture....full crew with a couple of Americas Cup additions doing try outs for the Admirals team....the front hit mid-manoeuvre resulting in the kite, halyard, sheets & braces (complete with titanium clips) all running over the side....with Freckle (sailmaker) helming, Ron (the owner) told us to "keep our eyes forward...." as the entire mess disappeared from sight. Despite the screw up, the race result was Ok...but things got better when a tail ender of the fleet walked up to Ron at the bar and told him he'd recovered the kite and all the gear!!!! Ron was known for his generosity. I'm sure the crew of the good samaritan didn't have to buy any beers that regatta!

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 4:00 PM, SPORTSCAR said:

I happened to pass through the bar at RGYC last Saturday afternoon and saw this action shot of Seaquesta hanging above the door near the Notice Board. From back in the days when the Advertiser Trophy racing was held in the late afternoon south westerlies around triangular courses with real shy-to-shy gybes* in pressure right out the front of the yacht club on Corio Bay for all to see, not halfway to Port Arlington where even the Hubble Telescope would be troubled:

* I'm guessing many bowmen these days would never have done an S2S gybe let alone an S2S gybe peel.

IMG_0610.thumb.PNG.28c389f926df7df11479e737763b3255.PNG

I just resurrected my login from 4 years ago after spotting all the news. Thanks all, it's great to see some bits of history on the old girl

Heres Seaquesta now. She was refitted in Auckland a few years ago and is now a family cruiser that does a few rum races. 

The previous QLD owner had renamed her 'Lipstick on your Collar', so I restored her dignity and changed it back to Seaquesta.

27657637_10155721269122199_5366131726160211706_n.jpg

27657916_10155721269202199_2747151403439039122_n.jpg

27545138_10155721298287199_5983659269860373783_n.jpg

20180402_132820.jpg

• Like 2

Another one gone to NZ.  Great refit, well done

• Like 1

She looks great, congratulations.  A family cruiser with triple in-line spreaders, runners AND checks - what's not to love!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seaquesta said:

I just resurrected my login from 4 years ago after spotting all the news. Thanks all, it's great to see some bits of history on the old girl

Heres Seaquesta now. She was refitted in Auckland a few years ago and is now a family cruiser that does a few rum races. 

The previous QLD owner had renamed her 'Lipstick on your Collar', so I restored her dignity and changed it back to Seaquesta.

20180402_132820.jpg

Sweet dreams are made of this....congratulations on a fabulous refurb! i sailed her back from Honoulu in the 82 Clipper Cup as a first time delivery skipper - aged 23 (had my birthday in Kiribati)...and I'm somewhere in that early corio bay shot posted by Sportscar....Alf would be very pleased with everything you've done! Again congratulations!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SCANAS said:

There are (were?) two Gustos, one (the first, I think) is in Tassie, and is the former Whitbred, then Open 60. I think the second is the former Langman Open 60/66 Xena/Grundig/AAP?.

The boat you're referring to is (I think) the former "Broomstick", which as far as I recall was never in the same league as Langman's beast.

13 hours ago, SCANAS said:

17 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

There are (were?) two Gustos, one (the first, I think) is in Tassie, and is the former Whitbred, then Open 60. I think the second is the former Langman Open 60/66 Xena/Grundig/AAP?.

The boat you're referring to is (I think) the former "Broomstick", which as far as I recall was never in the same league as Langman's beast.

This is the Ex Broomstick ... Michael Cranich bought the boat and modded it at the old Halverson yard on the parra river at Putney.... It had been the Russian open 60 round the world boat. The guy got to Australia and hit the beach.

First S to H was in original config. We retired just after the tornado with head foil issues.
A bunch of us did work on it and it became Broomstick / Foxtel. We called it the Kursk because of it's low freeboard which made it wet. We had some good rides downwind on it which are on film from Gary Ticehurst and Scott Ally somewhere... The two wheels I  had build at my place from titanium buy my welder.

We beat the Volvo 60's that year from memory and it was blowing 30 from the north..

Good times but not sure it had enough head room for a cruiser.... 

Musto was a very flexi hull... scary in fact... Xena another boat altogether

• Like 3

The one they cut through the middle & reduced the beam yeah?

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

The one they cut through the middle & reduced the beam yeah?

The first gusto was the unfinished hull of the "Elle racing" whitbread 60 (don't think it was the one below- which I'm pretty sure was just a Gen1 boat with promo stickers).  But they cut it down the middle and significantly increased the beam I'm pretty sure.

Elle Macpherson leads Australia's first all-women crew in the Whitbread round the world race : News Photo

• Like 1

So they chopped it up overseas to make it into an open 60? I thought one arrived here as an open 60 but was cut up? 

This is the result of that surgery.  She's still in Hobart as far as I know. 

20181216_165130.jpg

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

So they chopped it up overseas to make it into an open 60? I thought one arrived here as an open 60 but was cut up? 

This article suggests the Elle hull was built by McConaghy's- so the hull was always in Australia:

"So what happened to the money? Some went to pay the crew Harvey hired for the challenge, though (they claim) not enough – the trial yacht was “arrested” in Sydney when they claimed more than $100,000 in back pay and expenses. Some went to McConaghy’s famous boat-yard in Mona Vale, where the half-built Elle boat which should have been launched last March is now begging for a buyer to complete it, at a cost of a cool $1 million."

http://benhills.com/articles/scams-scoundrels/the-man-who-sank-elle/

So i think it goes:

Gusto 1 was a whitbread 60 that was cut up (in australia) to be an open 60.

Gusto 2 was the old AAPT/Xena/Grundig etc- which was an open 60 that was extended to 66ft from memory

Broomstick was a russian open 60 that got reworked once it ended up here.

• Like 3

On 9/13/2019 at 4:13 PM, minch said:

This article suggests the Elle hull was built by McConaghy's- so the hull was always in Australia:

"So what happened to the money? Some went to pay the crew Harvey hired for the challenge, though (they claim) not enough – the trial yacht was “arrested” in Sydney when they claimed more than $100,000 in back pay and expenses. Some went to McConaghy’s famous boat-yard in Mona Vale, where the half-built Elle boat which should have been launched last March is now begging for a buyer to complete it, at a cost of a cool $1 million."

So i think it goes:

Gusto 2 was the old AAPT/Xena/Grundig etc- which was an open 60 that was extended to 66ft from memory

Gusto was yellow from memory and I didn't believe it was Xena but my memory is fading fast.... John Biddlecombe  had a lot to do with it from memory

On 9/12/2019 at 3:09 PM, seaquesta said:

20180402_132820.jpg

Last time I saw someone lying on the floor of Seaquesta was too many years ago, in Geelong. The young lady concerned was a bit older than that one and she wasn't in very good condition. Blonde chick, sister of one of Alfies crew IIRC. Long time ago now so no names to protect the guilty. To her current owner: congratulations you've got her looking really nice now, shame about her older Dubois sister Police Car.

22 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

$7000 Will get you Police Car as is where is right now.

just found the gumtree listing is showing sold.

I hope it was bought locally for restoration. 

69024540_3230267056985305_57810193833462

On 9/13/2019 at 4:13 PM, minch said:

So i think it goes:

Gusto 1 (aka RSL Com) was finished at Jarkan (Kanga Birtles’ place down at Jervis Bay). And yes, she was banana yellow when launched.

It was a John Biddlecombe project. Big on hopes and dreams, short on cash - so she never made it overseas. Literally... on her first short handed race from Sydney to Auckland Biddles rammed the red channel marker off Lady Bay and retired due to hull delamination.

IIRC the re-use of the Elle racing VO60 panels meant she was was a different shape from the European Open 60’s and they ended up being the gen 1 canting keel boats, so her 1998 launch as a water ballasted boat put her behind from day 1.

Gusto 2 is the ex Magna Data / AAPT / Xena / Grundig. She started life as an Andy Dovell (Murray Burns Dovell) Open 60, but I can’t remember who for. She was red when launched, then lengthened with a 6 foot sugar scoop, a silver and shark’s mouth paint job, a turbo appendage package, and deck vents for her water ballast tanks that you could stick your entire torso into... At that point she was ridiculously quick.

Broomstick (advertised above)... as PIL said, originally a Russian Open 60 but was Michael Cranitch and company’s replacement for the Lavranos maxi Marchioness (ex Parker Pens) sometime after the 1998 Hobart race. IIRC she did her first Hobart race as purchased, and bets were that if she got as far as Bondi it’d be a miracle. Broomstick then went into the shed at Putney (PIL?) for a 6 foot stern and deck extension, and was modified using parts (rig, pedestal and wheels) from the burnt wreck of Foxtel Amazon with labour provided by the legendary Carl (Capt. Carlos) White and (bugger me) John Biddlecombe. Among more interesting quirks of the boat was the off centreline log. Going uphill on starboard tack if you rolled her over far enough the log would come out of the water and the speedo would read 0.00 kts.

We laid her down under kite from 20 kts to zero once or twice, and the centrifugal force had people wondering if the 6 foot extension was going to spontaneously detach itself (with runner winches attached)... props to Carl White though, he was a bloody artist with composites.

• Like 3

ex Magna Data / AAPT / Xena / Grundig. She started life as an Andy Dovell (Murray Burns Dovell) Open 60, but I can’t remember who for.

This was the boat Kanga built to do the round the world race.  Flexible is fast!

1 hour ago, TUBBY said:

ex Magna Data / AAPT / Xena / Grundig. She started life as an Andy Dovell (Murray Burns Dovell) Open 60, but I can’t remember who for.

This was the boat Kanga built to do the round the world race.  Flexible is fast!

Of course she was. I’m a dickhead.

I think I have a photo of her in the shed next to Biddlecombe’s boat.

So was it Broomstick or Gusto1 that sat in Adelaide for years. After this refresh I think it was Broomstick??

3 hours ago, jackolantern said:

What a freaking scary looking boat: 

Image result for Grundig Langman

Even more frightening downwind with everything up.  Looked like an escaped 18 footer that had found the ocean.

52 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

Even more frightening downwind with everything up.  Looked like an escaped 18 footer that had found the ocean.

I loved the retracting rudder blades - very cool.  Overall a very cool boat but one you could only effectively operate if you owned a boatyard.  Thankfully Sean does.

6 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Did the RP60 Wild OatsJoe ever do the S2H?

It's for sale now

https://www.raceyachts.com.au/yacht/237890/reichel-pugh-60-canting-keel-extensive-refit-2019/

Started oe and got as far as Botany Bay when it lost all electronics, supposedly due to a lightening strike during the week.  At least they didn't blame the TV Chopper

6 hours ago, hoppy said:

Did the RP60 Wild OatsJoe ever do the S2H?

It's for sale now

https://www.raceyachts.com.au/yacht/237890/reichel-pugh-60-canting-keel-extensive-refit-2019/

7_4.jpg

Yep, 2004 IIRC.

She’s been for sale for about 3 years now, so props to the owner for spending the cash to install DSS on a boat he’s trying to be rid of.

Did this WO replaced the Farr 43? before WOX & WOIX?

Could be a good buy for a powerball winner....

8 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Did this WO replaced the Farr 43? before WOX & WOIX?

Could be a good buy for a powerball winner....

Not quite. The Farr 43 was being campaigned by Bruce Foye and Hicko back in 1992/93.

This boat helped lift the Admiral’s Cup in 2003, And was then replaced by the 66’ WOX and subsequently the 100’ (98’) WOXi.

What came in between? I honestly don’t know.

Just seen that the new owners of the Farr 43 have given it a new paint job\

1. Image may contain: boat, sky, outdoor, nature and water

70269127_10157169945168127_5640724345341

12 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Not quite. The Farr 43 was being campaigned by Bruce Foye and Hicko back in 1992/93.

This boat helped lift the Admiral’s Cup in 2003, And was then replaced by the 66’ WOX and subsequently the 100’ (98’) WOXi.

Another Duchess was in there somewhere, latterly Talent 2.  Might'a been before WOXIX

On 9/19/2019 at 6:47 AM, jackolantern said:

What a freaking scary looking boat: 

Image result for Grundig Langman

That boat was the most fun ever full stop. Equal parts exhilarating and terrifying. I will always always always be grateful for those years of yachting on the Xena girl!

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 8:04 AM, SCANAS said:

So was it Broomstick or Gusto1 that sat in Adelaide for years. After this refresh I think it was Broomstick??

Gusto 1.

Broomstick spent some time sailing as Dodo for Adrian Dunphy (spelling?) in a Hobart race or two, a Coffs race and was then sold to NZ, cruise-I-fied and is now for sale again.

• Like 1

On 20 September 2019 at 8:27 AM, DickDastardly said:

Another Duchess was in there somewhere, latterly Talent 2.  Might'a been before WOXIX

On 19 September 2019 at 8:13 PM, Jason AUS said:

WO ll was a Randall 34 powerboat in Middle Harbour, WO lll  was a Swan 53 based in Porto Cervo. There was also a couple of powerboats over the years in Port Cervo, the last one 50 odd foot, Bill Buckle drove her as the tender to WOXl at the maxi worlds, they may have counted as WO's as well.

On 26 September 2019 at 4:33 PM, Jason AUS said:

Gusto 1.

Broomstick spent some time sailing as Dodo for Adrian Dunphy (spelling?) in a Hobart race or two, a Coffs race and was then sold to NZ, cruise-I-fied and is now for sale again.

Broomstick purchased for A66K (?) and taken to NZ... Now wants NZ225K!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rushman said:

Broomstick purchased for A66K (?) and taken to NZ... Now wants NZ225K!

I guess it didn’t fulfil his “fast cruiser” criteria after all. 

Might want to compare the Noumea Race record claimed to the build date.

She has an illustrious history but that win was her older little sister the Farr 65.

19 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

Its official:( Hopefully she finds love and stays out of the Whitsunday charter fleet... https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/jutson-80/238477

0_4.jpg

The boat is immaculate... It could even be turned into a cruiser with some power winches and furling gear like Bumble Bee 5. The rig and deck layout  are very simple... I hope it goes to a good home..

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 11:56 AM, ALL@SEA said:

Its official:( Hopefully she finds love and stays out of the Whitsunday charter fleet... https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/jutson-80/238477

Kudos for George Snow to want an Australian Designed and built boat but she was a well sailed pig.  Never won anything against similar sized boats and was the only local Maxi around.  Sails listed are all 12 years old so you would have to stump up for a full new set, could be a good fast crusier but 14ft draft might not help

The year she won she finished 9 minutes in front of Exile - a 62 footer

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

The boat is immaculate... It could even be turned into a cruiser with some power winches and furling gear like Bumble Bee 5. The rig and deck layout  are very simple... I hope it goes to a good home..

How about a few acres of teak decking aft? For the ladies?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Kudos for George Snow to want an Australian Designed and built boat but she was a well sailed pig.  Never won anything against similar sized boats and was the only local Maxi around.  Sails listed are all 12 years old so you would have to stump up for a full new set, could be a good fast crusier but 14ft draft might not help

To be fair, Exile was one of the boats that put R/P on the map. She was ridiculously quick, and had half the North Sails team on board. If you were looking for a “best Aussie boat of the 90’s” she’s well up there.

3 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

To be fair, Exile was one of the boats that put R/P on the map. She was ridiculously quick, and had half the North Sails team on board. If you were looking for a “best Aussie boat of the 90’s” she’s well up there.

And after breaking the stat and having to sail back after building a good lead... but wasn't she Hong Kong or somewhere? I sailed up the Derwent that year between the two of them on my laser - being tossed about in the spectator wake trying to run square - one of the most frightening sails of my life at that young age!

7 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

And after breaking the stat and having to sail back after building a good lead... but wasn't she Hong Kong or somewhere? I sailed up the Derwent that year between the two of them on my laser - being tossed about in the spectator wake trying to run square - one of the most frightening sails of my life at that young age!

She broke the start and was recalled 20 minutes later. She was flagged in Hong Kong as her owner had significant business interests there before the handover.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

9 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

To be fair to Brindabella, back when she won line Honor’s the Hobart had a upper speed / rating limit that stopped them from piling on the down wind sail area unlike today.  You just have to look at how Xena used to be nipping at the heels of the big maxi’s because they were all rating in at the top of the speed limit. I think it was set at 1.600. If you compare the super maxi’s today they all rate in at over 1.900.

Exile was a great boat and very sailed that year. 

Pulpit

21 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

IIRC she was also done in by tweaks in the early days of IMS.  Primarily relaxation of the rules that tried to steer the fleet to moderate/low tech cruiser racers.