Spudly

Syd-Hobart Yachts, Where are they Now?

Recommended Posts

On 10/19/2019 at 4:58 AM, Bill E Goat said:

Two zero's to many on that price

Bit late to the party, sorry.

actually, if that's the price for the whole operation that's not that bad...

Hear me out:

On the one pic, there are roughly 24 what seems to be paying passengers. That is for marketing purposes, ok, I get it. 

Therefore, let's say they depart with an average of 16. For a price of 499 AUD each (that's the current price). Twice a week. That's a turnover of almost exactly 16k AUD a week.

If they operate 40 weeks / year, that's almost 640 AUD in turnover. 

Show me another business, where the price of the company is one year's turnover. That's not the normal rate.

 

Of course, maybe something is very kaputt or hidden so deep in the closet that only your lawyer will find it once he'e trying to bail you out, who knows :)

But I agree on the cum stains. Ewww.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone here on SA have contact info for the owner or the current/previous boat captain for Wedgetail ex Yendy’s, R/P 55?  Last I heard it was is Brisbane. If so, drop me a PM. 
 

Thanks,

SB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2019 at 9:00 PM, SPORTSCAR said:

I happened to pass through the bar at RGYC last Saturday afternoon and saw this action shot of Seaquesta hanging above the door near the Notice Board. From back in the days when the Advertiser Trophy racing was held in the late afternoon south westerlies around triangular courses with real shy-to-shy gybes* in pressure right out the front of the yacht club on Corio Bay for all to see, not halfway to Port Arlington where even the Hubble Telescope would be troubled:

* I'm guessing many bowmen these days would never have done an S2S gybe let alone an S2S gybe peel.

IMG_0610.thumb.PNG.28c389f926df7df11479e737763b3255.PNG

I remember the 1981 or '82 Big Boat series where Jumpin' Jack Flash pulled off a shy reach to run gybe peel right in front of the StFYC Men's Bar about 150' from shore.  We were about five boat lengths behind and they pulled it off so perfectly that our owner asked how they changed the color of their spinnaker.  Then they popped the blooper in about five more boat lengths.  All in about 20-25k.  

We USA-ans were properly intimidated.

So there are some things that Aussies are good at.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 11:45 AM, Left Shift said:

I remember the 1981 or '82 Big Boat series where Jumpin' Jack Flash pulled off a shy reach to run gybe peel right in front of the StFYC Men's Bar about 150' from shore.  We were about five boat lengths behind and they pulled it off so perfectly that our owner asked how they changed the color of their spinnaker.  Then they popped the blooper in about five more boat lengths.  All in about 20-25k.  

We USA-ans were properly intimidated.

So there are some things that Aussies are good at.  

There may well be some things that Aussies are good at but gybing JJF wasn't one of them - it was a Kiwi designed, built, owned and and crewed boat!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

There may well be some things that Aussies are good at but gybing JJF wasn't one of them - it was a Kiwi designed, built, owned and and crewed boat!

Thanks for the catch on that! 

JJ Flash showed up here in Seattle for a couple of years in the 80's.  Awesome boat, but light air flyer it was NOT!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2020 at 6:46 AM, SCANAS said:

Honestly at that price you can buy it and go record chasing in a place that hasn’t seen a fast boat for a long time then cut it up when you’re done rather than trying to mess with selling it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Honestly at that price you can buy it and go record chasing in a place that hasn’t seen a fast boat for a long time then cut it up when you’re done rather than trying to mess with selling it. 

I’ve seen the pics of it.   She’s tired and hydros look fucked.     Big Bill before you even start sailing let alone racing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zeusproject said:

I’ve seen the pics of it.   She’s tired and hydros look fucked.     Big Bill before you even start sailing let alone racing 

Pretty standard situation for a $120k 90’ race boat I think. Didn’t Syd redo the dagger boards size / angle & it started to go a bit better? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Pretty standard situation for a $120k 90’ race boat I think. Didn’t Syd redo the dagger boards size / angle & it started to go a bit better? 

Guy from Vic asked me to have a look at her for potential purchase but was in a bad state.   Water all through her and shit everywhere , yes it’s cheap but how much do you throw at it to get her going and keep her going 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zeusproject said:

Guy from Vic asked me to have a look at her for potential purchase but was in a bad state.   Water all through her and shit everywhere , yes it’s cheap but how much do you throw at it to get her going and keep her going 

Agree 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zeusproject said:

Guy from Vic asked me to have a look at her for potential purchase but was in a bad state.   

I know of someone down this way who was interested until he was warned off the idea.I heard he wanted to get to have a beer at constitution dock earlier than normal.

  

3 hours ago, Zeusproject said:

Water all through her and shit everywhere , yes it’s cheap but how much do you throw at it to get her going and keep her going 

Why would you let a formerly multi million dollar yacht that is not that old get into such a state? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

Why would you let a formerly multi million dollar yacht that is not that old get into such a state? 

 

1) Syd Fischer at the best of times was an underinvestor

2) These are the worst of times, plus Syd must be close to shuffling off this mortal coil, he's in his 90s and probably suffers from dementia.  

I'm thinking a Viking burial is the right outcome on all sides - when the time's right, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

I know of someone down this way who was interested until he was warned off the idea.I heard he wanted to get to have a beer at constitution dock earlier than normal.

  

Why would you let a formerly multi million dollar yacht that is not that old get into such a state? 

 

How do you become a Millionaire???????

Be a billionaire and buy boats

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Why would you let a formerly multi million dollar yacht that is not that old get into such a state? 

 

This boat was a shitter from day 1.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t the family take all the toys away years ago when the 100’ sold? They probably want to rent the real estate it’s sitting on. C’mon Sydney is the home of underdog supremaxi’s someone hurry up & buy it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

I know of someone down this way who was interested until he was warned off the idea.I heard he wanted to get to have a beer at constitution dock earlier than normal.

  

Why would you let a formerly multi million dollar yacht that is not that old get into such a state? 

 

Well that was my thought.     There was no thought to even present for sale in a half decent condition let alone good to go 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2020 at 4:12 PM, DickDastardly said:

1) Syd Fischer at the best of times was an underinvestor

2) These are the worst of times, plus Syd must be close to shuffling off this mortal coil, he's in his 90s and probably suffers from dementia.  

I'm thinking a Viking burial is the right outcome on all sides - when the time's right, of course.

The full Syd touch would be then to claim on the insurance.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They.. (Sid) got the boat cheap and played with it some .... As Scanas says, it was always a shitter and under performed to it's rating from day one and as it got sold it got way cheaper each time. Witty was on it one Koh Somui regatta about 10 years ago and the Hydraulics were rooted back then. Now it's sat unloved at SSM for that long it will likely get cut up for parts.... I see no other outcome.
The rental space that think is taking up alone is huge

The boat i would consider is Bumblebee V
Great Racer cruiser

https://www.yoti.com.au/listing/murray-burns-dovell-62-bumblebee-v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

The boat i would consider is Bumblebee V
Great Racer cruiser

https://www.yoti.com.au/listing/murray-burns-dovell-62-bumblebee-v

Yeah Baby at $150k has got to be a great buy if you want to get to Hobart when the TP52 sailors are ready to pass out.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/wellbourn-50/220409

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going on the fact that the ad hasn't been updated for 12 months,  it might be getting close enough to your budget that the lady could be convinced to allow you to make the number.

Not sure if she has an electric shitter though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it doesn't we could have a whip around and buy the electric shitter for Hoppy.  He has to install it though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now