• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Spudly

Syd-Hobart Yachts, Where are they Now?

I didn't think so - MORNING GLORY was a Z86 & Crichton didn't have any Z86's from memory - could be wrong - been wrong in this thread already 😜

Croaky had the 90 foot shockwave which became rambler 90 and then the 100 footer Alfa that became esimit Europa.

Morning glory is still in the plattner family

Oops - the 80' SHOCKWAVE went to the States as Morning Glory & then came back.

Built in Sydney in 2000, this high tech carbon fibre maxi yacht was raced in Australia briefly by Neville Crichton before being sold to German yachtsman Hasso Plattner who then raced her internationally as Morning Glory. Andrew Short bought the boat in the USA earlier this year and before bringing her back to Australia took line honours in the St Davids Lighthouse Division of the 2008 Newport Bermuda Race. Short has a liking for fast boats and has taken line honours with yachts such as Amazon and Bobsled in the Sydney Mooloolabah and Sydney Gold Coast Races and now with ASM-Shockwave 5 in the recent 2008 Gosford Lord Howe Island Race.

Built in Sydney in 2000, this high tech carbon fibre maxi yacht was raced in Australia briefly by Neville Crichton before being sold to German yachtsman Hasso Plattner who then raced her internationally as Morning Glory. Andrew Short bought the boat in the USA earlier this year and before bringing her back to Australia took line honours in the St Davids Lighthouse Division of the 2008 Newport Bermuda Race. Short has a liking for fast boats and has taken line honours with yachts such as Amazon and Bobsled in the Sydney Mooloolabah and Sydney Gold Coast Races and now with ASM-Shockwave 5 in the recent 2008 Gosford Lord Howe Island Race.

The yacht hit the rocks off Flinders Is. In the 2009 Flinders Is. Race. Destroyed her and we lost Andrew and Sally Gordon, the navigator.

Something weird was going on with the GPS system that night. The accuracy was way down. I know, I was on a boat behind them in that race..

Some how they found themselves to the east of the island, which was the turning mark (Mark to port), and while reaching back at pace failed to miss the outlying rocks.

Huge outpouring of grief over the tragedy as both were well liked Sydney sailing personalities.

The CYC did a big inquiry, changes were instigated, recommendations etc.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/mystery-surrounds-super-yachts-demise-20091010-grjy.html

Is a lightweight newspaper account.

The Cape 2 Rio was a good race and with lots of weather considerations - we did 18 of the 21 days under kite and averaged over 8kts - Morning glory beat us by 1 day- not bad for the old Helsal 2......but then Morning Glory was helmed by Dee Smith, so they had a handicap....

The yacht hit the rocks off Flinders Is. In the 2009 Flinders Is. Race. Destroyed her and we lost Andrew and Sally Gordon, the navigator.

Something weird was going on with the GPS system that night. The accuracy was way down. I know, I was on a boat behind them in that race..

Some how they found themselves to the east of the island, which was the turning mark (Mark to port), and while reaching back at pace failed to miss the outlying rocks.

Huge outpouring of grief over the tragedy as both were well liked Sydney sailing personalities.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/mystery-surrounds-super-yachts-demise-20091010-grjy.html

That crash was caused by a combination of two factors:

1. Low tide

2. New boat ( to the owner )

The owner had rounded that island plenty of times before but only in smaller boats with shallower keels. He forgot to adjust his habits and stand a little further off the rocks. Chances are 50 feet would have been enough. Flinders island only has a reef off one quarter so it isn't too hard to dodge.

The Cape 2 Rio was a good race and with lots of weather considerations - we did 18 of the 21 days under kite and averaged over 8kts - Morning glory beat us by 1 day- not bad for the old Helsal 2......but then Morning Glory was helmed by Dee Smith, so they had a handicap....

Well played!

Well aware of the crash, just wasn't aware it went to USA as MORNING GLORY.

1. Low tide

The owner had rounded that island plenty of times before but only in smaller boats with shallower keels. He forgot to adjust his habits and stand a little further off the rocks. Chances are 50 feet would have been enough. Flinders island only has a reef off one quarter so it isn't too hard to dodge.

Read the official report, those two reasons are not why it grounded.

got a link to that article?

http://www.sail-world.com/Rolex-Sydney-Hobart-Race---Distilling-Rolex-Sydney-Hobart-history/140973

& currently beating Brindas!

Never mind I thought you meant Bumble Bee 5 the 60-something footer

Read the official report, those two reasons are not why it grounded.

Blind trust of GPS was the basic reason right, not using radar or a any other secondary way of confirming their position. Having personally seen how wrong gps can be at times (going along the south coast of Papua New guinea, while the GPS had us miles inland being my worst example). Got a link to the report?

Why would Larry/God have Sayonara cut up?

I'd like to see or know where the 1ton brigade are

Sagacious, Ultimate Challenge, Prime Factor, Southern Cross, Indian Pacific, Queensland Maid, Hitchiker 2, Another Concubine, Szechwan, Inch by Winch, True Blue, Nadia iv, Prime Times, Joint Venture, Westernport, Finestere, Intrigue, Dry White, Black Magic, Apollo vi, Seaulater, Once More Dear Friends, etc etc

Maybe some bigger boats like Madam de Farge, Mirrabooka, Siska 5, Evelyn.....

There was a Jutson 50, orignally called Second Term, which i think became Braveheart...

Any pictures Apollo before arse re-model.

Alright, let's help find a few more of these boats and more.

Beyond Thunderdone - is in Glastone, Queensland for sale $55K

Witch Doctor - currently on the Hardstand at The BoatWorks, Gold Coast Queensland.

Siska - one of the old timber siska's was sitting for a long time at horision shores marine and was cut up as the dry rot took over.

Seaulater - I own her and she is currently undergoing a refit and will end up here on the Gold Coast. She will be on the market next year. She has been up in Gladstone for the last 20 odd years.

I found a old 1 toner in a boat yard in Cleavland on the hardstand under going a IOR de bumping. The boat had no name on it, it had a old sponsorship inprint of "Thrifty Cars" on the side. Any one have a idea ?

If anyone can help with more information on "Seaulater" I'd like to find out more about her. She is a great boat and I'd love to find out more about her history.

Pulpit

There was a Davidson 39 that had a blue THRIFTY graphic on it. It was on the hard at SCARBOROUGH MARINA for a long time sold for around 20k about 3years ago - I always remember the 5 spreader rig!! Don't know its history.

indian pacific9previous hobart winner) is at port macquarie ,moored opposite the game fishing crane/boat ramp looking well looked after

what about any of the old centerboard one tonners ,i would be suprised if they survived

Sagacious, Ultimate Challenge, Prime Factor, Southern Cross, Indian Pacific, Queensland Maid, Hitchiker 2, Another Concubine, Szechwan, Inch by Winch, True Blue, Nadia iv, Prime Times, Joint Venture, Westernport, Finestere, Intrigue, Dry White, Black Magic, Apollo vi, Seaulater, Once More Dear Friends, etc etc

There was a Jutson 50, orignally called Second Term, which i think became Braveheart...

Witch Doctor - currently on the Hardstand at The BoatWorks, Gold Coast Queensland.

Siska - one of the old timber siska's was sitting for a long time at horision shores marine and was cut up as the dry rot took over.

Seaulater - I own her and she is currently undergoing a refit and will end up here on the Gold Coast. She will be on the market next year. She has been up in Gladstone for the last 20 odd years.

I found a old 1 toner in a boat yard in Cleavland on the hardstand under going a IOR de bumping. The boat had no name on it, it had a old sponsorship inprint of "Thrifty Cars" on the side. Any one have a idea ?

If anyone can help with more information on "Seaulater" I'd like to find out more about her. She is a great boat and I'd love to find out more about her history.

Pulpit

Great work Pulpit!

I found Bewinched on the net being turned into a cruising boat somewhere in Europe, i can't get the link. This was SISKA V, Frers designed and roughly a sistership to Freight train, both around 62ft with a massive trapezoid keel. I think that SISKA V was sold to Bob Ferris, again my memory might trick me, he was the Barlow winches man, and renamed Bewinched.

If you read the book "Sailing to the Moon" about Rolly Tasker, in the mid book there is a great photo of SISKA V on the charge with spinnaker up with blooper, during a "Cock of the Derwent", i might have gotten the name of the race wrong!, sorry!

I wonder what happened to Challenge 2?, Lou Abrams 1983 winner, i think Challenge 3 was grounded on the entry to Port Phillip Bay.

Does anyone know what happened to Ivanhoe, a Perth big boat in the early 80's.

The Davo39 in Brisbane is the old Onedog, Szechwan. Yes it had Thrifty Cars on the side. I have pics but can't load. Thunderdome was slipped at Pittwater a couple of years ago. I spoke with the owner who was a newbie. Sad to see a few of these good boats go to waste.

Pulpit

Great work Pulpit!

I found Bewinched on the net being turned into a cruising boat somewhere in Europe, i can't get the link. This was SISKA V, Frers designed and roughly a sistership to Freight train, both around 62ft with a massive trapezoid keel. I think that SISKA V was sold to Bob Ferris, again my memory might trick me, he was the Barlow winches man, and renamed Bewinched.

If you read the book "Sailing to the Moon" about Rolly Tasker, in the mid book there is a great photo of SISKA V on the charge with spinnaker up with blooper, during a "Cock of the Derwent", i might have gotten the name of the race wrong!, sorry!

I wonder what happened to Challenge 2?, Lou Abrams 1983 winner, i think Challenge 3 was grounded on the entry to Port Phillip Bay.

Ivanhoe was on the Gold Coast for a long time. I looked at it years ago when it was for sale. Walked away as it had been heavily modified by the owner and a complete mess. Welding looked like the handiwork of a one armed retarded monkey with Parkinson's. Quite sad really. Hopefully someone restored it to its former glory but more likely recycled and doing the rounds as XXXX gold cans.

What happened to Piccolo? I saw the S&S39 Mark Twain for sale not to long ago. Pilgrim S&S39 became Perie Banou 2, Jon Sanders boat that was restored a couple of years ago. How about Margret Rintoul the Frers design? Impetuous or Too Impetuous? Mercedes Iv? the Phil Curran designed Defiance? Golden Eagle by Farr?, Maggies Farm?, Lexcen Apollo vi?, (Peterson Apollo iv is for sale in America), Bondi Tram?,How about Ausmaid Farr 47, Assassin IMS Farr40, Kings Cross 3/4 ton, Extension 3/4 ton, Indian Pacific 3/4 ton,

Does anyone have any pictures of the Burns Philp Maxi series from around the early *80's?

Apricot Sundae Lexcen 50, Satin Sheets, Manly Ferry, Morning Mist Farr 50 IMS.

I think Great News, Farr 50 got turned into a masthead cruising donkey.

What happened to Madeline's Daughter?, i think it won as Atara, There was another 44 Shockwave had its deck grafted to a lyons IMS, but i might have it wrong way around.

Drakes Prayer? Fremantle Doctor?

What happened to Piccolo? I saw the S&S39 Mark Twain for sale not to long ago. Pilgrim S&S39 became Perie Banou 2, Jon Sanders boat that was restored a couple of years ago. How about Margret Rintoul the Frers design? Impetuous or Too Impetuous? Mercedes Iv? the Phil Curran designed Defiance? Golden Eagle by Farr?, Maggies Farm?, Lexcen Apollo vi?, (Peterson Apollo iv is for sale in America), Bondi Tram?,How about Ausmaid Farr 47, Assassin IMS Farr40, Kings Cross 3/4 ton, Extension 3/4 ton, Indian Pacific 3/4 ton,

Does anyone have any pictures of the Burns Philp Maxi series from around the early *80's?

What happened to Madeline's Daughter?, i think it won as Atara, There was another 44 Shockwave had its deck grafted to a lyons IMS, but i might have it wrong way around.

Morning mist has been for sale in Asia a while back.

As for Ausmade, she run a ground off Noosa Heads and was a insurance right off. The boat was salvaged and was sitting in a padick for a few years. The boat is currently sitting in Brisbane at lambourne spars and is looking very sad. I was in volvol in her build. 16 weeks To build her for the 50 th hobart.

As for Ivanhoe, she is still around southport and no longer look like she did any more.

Pulpit

Maggies Farm is on the Swan River at Perth Flying Squadron.

Golden Eagle was at RFBYC a few years back but the owner bought a new toy so not sure where it is now.

Fremantle Doctor is now called Shady Doctor and is based in Geraldton these days.

Kings Cross is in Fremantle down in the RPYC annexe, I don't think it's had a cent spent on it in the last decade and is pretty run down.

Freres Margaret Rintoul was in Long Beach Ca. until three years ago, looking for a new owner with imagination. Was very successful in So Cal back in her day. Bondi Tram was in the S F Bay area in the 90's.

Pulpit

Great work Pulpit!

Ivanhoe was on the Gold Coast for a long time. I looked at it years ago when it was for sale. Walked away as it had been heavily modified by the owner and a complete mess. Welding looked like the handiwork of a one armed retarded monkey with Parkinson's. Quite sad really. Hopefully someone restored it to its former glory but more likely recycled and doing the rounds as XXXX gold cans.

sad.

Drakes Prayer is in Newcastle Cruising Yacht Club marina and looks like it lives here and is well looked after.

Too quick to post. Did three Hobarts on her

Mercedes IV and Assassin both live on the CYCA marina and do Harbour racing. Atara was built under a Farr 2 tonner Shockwave deck, after the hull was trashed in a Sydney - Hobart race, maybe '93. It ran aground and sunk on a delivery a few years back IMHO.

Mercedes IV and Assassin both live on the CYCA marina and do Harbour racing. Atara was built under a Farr 2 tonner Shockwave deck, after the hull was trashed in a Sydney - Hobart race, maybe '93. It ran aground and sunk on a delivery a few years back IMHO.

Cool!, i'm sure though The first Atara was Madeline's Daughter, Won a hobart for IREland with Gordon Mcguire on board. Any chances of a Picture Of Mercedes iv, she was over here in perth for a while, owned by the bloke who built Nadia iv, and also turned Hitchiker 2, into Nadia vi, i believe he also owned True Blue for a while.

Cool!, i'm sure though The first Atara was Madeline's Daughter, Won a hobart for IREland with Gordon Mcguire on board. Any chances of a Picture Of Mercedes iv, she was over here in perth for a while, owned by the bloke who built Nadia iv, and also turned Hitchiker 2, into Nadia vi, i believe he also owned True Blue for a while.

Mercedes IV

Great to see it in such good condition, sad when great boats turn into guano factories.

Can confirm Rambler R88 is on the hard in Adelaide (at least as of a week ago) waiting to be shipped. Apparently 100k cheaper to ship it out of Rads than East Coast

heard something about Radelaide being the last port of call in Oz, so its easy to plonk non-containered cargo on top of the stack.

Put it on earlier, and you need to shuffle it about.

Can confirm Rambler R88 is on the hard in Adelaide (at least as of a week ago) waiting to be shipped. Apparently 100k cheaper to ship it out of Rads than East Coast

heard something about Radelaide being the last port of call in Oz, so its easy to plonk non-containered cargo on top of the stack.

Put it on earlier, and you need to shuffle it about.

If not in a hurry - what are the approximate costs to ship a 46 footer (keel, rudder and mast removed) from Australia to California? Just wondering if we should send our boat to Sydney after Transpac 2017 to race in the Sydney/Hobart. Hopefully they will remove the requirements for SSB by then

Cheers,

opusone

Dear as poison I would suggest. Considering Wild Oats sailed back on her own keel & Ragamuffin sailed to & from TP on her own keel. I know they aren't 47 footers but if those owners didn't ship it must be pretty out there, even for a billionaire. Delivery crew? Not a bad run from Hawaii down. Wouldn't want to do Hobart back to LA tho.

Dear as poison I would suggest. Considering Wild Oats sailed back on her own keel & Ragamuffin sailed to & from TP on her own keel. I know they aren't 47 footers but if those owners didn't ship it must be pretty out there, even for a billionaire. Delivery crew? Not a bad run from Hawaii down. Wouldn't want to do Hobart back to LA tho.

Planning on sending her on her bottom from Hawaii to Sydney with a few fun stops. Thinking of sending our cradle pads only and having a new cradle constructed in Australia for the delivery home. We do not want to risk damage and wear delivering her North in less favorable conditions.

Still need to find a place to keep her in Australia for a few months, diver and someone to care for the boat between events.

Cheers,

opusone

Opu ship from Hawaii to Aust will require selling a kidney and much more than cost from the West coast on account it is off the normal cargo route. Own keel deliveries both ways long but pretty easy and were well used in Clipper Cup days. Long and lonely trip back to LA unless you want to cruise French Poly in a race boat but shipping cost competitive for that. You don't need a DSC HF so a used HF will cost you zip but useless outside the race. With that DSC relaxation sat phone either battery or mains power are also mandatory. Plenty of places and people to baby sit her.

Broomstick went to NZ not that long ago. A few likely Kiwi lads sailed it from Sydney back to Auckland. The rig was to be used in a new build? Apparently it's still being sailed in NZ? Anyone in Auckland seen it?

The plan I was told by the new owner was to convert to a cruising boat

Remove water tanks

Add powered winches

New extended cabin top out to the gunwales (the new owner is 6'4")

Reduced cockpit area

Was one of the team that converted her from the open 60, 'City of Prague'.

And I have a bazillion photos of that job.

Pre-digital, so I do mean photos...

That is one tough hull, ice breaker.

Low on the freeboard though...

I was on that build to and sailed it a bit back in the day... We called it the Kursk as it was the wettest boat EVER and to hear it is being modded for cruising with a tall owner is funny as it is the last thing i would suggest for that.......

I'm he bought it for nothing

1. Low tide

Not sure about these versions...... Firstly only two people had anything to do with checking the GPS that night. I was one and Shorty the other. Sally was not navigating. The GPS was out and caused some confusion earlier in the night putting us closer to Stanwell than we would have liked but we tacked out with no issue.

It is true we ended up on the east side which was an overlay due to big shifts to the east as we approached Flinders. As we got close we were on visual so at this point no GPS and had to keep bearing away to get around when the keel hit a rock on the north east side spinning the boat's nose west toward the island. A couple off sets picked us up and and the rest is history... There is other factors but essentially that's it.......

Very sad for all and not something I ever want to see again in yachting.....

RIP Sally and Anj

nice bit of Bobsled history

Agh the days of white welded PVC gear and the Aust/NZ dollars were both fucked so no one could afford anything but NZ's Line7. That thing bloody quick off the breeze for its day but fell over on its arse pretty quick when anything other than going deep downhill when it was fresh. Probably the reason in all that time the stick never fell over. A flash cruiser now that would have cost a bomb

Still has beautiful lines - before it's time, for sure. I often wondered how it would go with a Farr40 carbon stick in it, and possible prodder/assym set up. But yes, the lads and lasses do enjoy their Friday nights.

nice bit of Bobsled history

Agh the days of white welded PVC gear and the Aust/NZ dollars were both fucked so no one could afford anything but NZ's Line7. That thing bloody quick off the breeze for its day but fell over on its arse pretty quick when anything other than going deep downhill when it was fresh. Probably the reason in all that time the stick never fell over. A flash cruiser now that would have cost a bomb

Love it - about 34 mins in - "22 fucking knots [under mainsail only] - better start thinking of doing something mate.." GOLD

Does anyone know anything about Rampnat ii, The Book "Australia's Year of Sail" volume 1. there is a picture of it leaving the heads in the RSHYR 1982. From a little Googling i found that she is a Lavranos design. The picture of it rafted up at Constitution dock shows that it has such a small rig, next to Apollo and Condor.Was she an early ULDB? Who owned her and where did she go?

Does anyone know anything about Rampnat ii, The Book "Australia's Year of Sail" volume 1. there is a picture of it leaving the heads in the RSHYR 1982. From a little Googling i found that she is a Lavranos design. The picture of it rafted up at Constitution dock shows that it has such a small rig, next to Apollo and Condor.Was she an early ULDB? Who owned her and where did she go?

1986 hobart program

Rampant ii was built in South Africa in '79, sailed in Cape to Uruguay race in '82 and '85 as well as a couple of Sydney Hobarts and the '86 Transpac. Owned by Alan Tucker, who was a very good Flying Dutchman and Finn sailor who, although he emigrated to Aus in the early '80's, continued to be involved in South African Finn sailing until very recently. The boat was designed by Angelo Lavranos, 70' long. Angelo did have a tendency to under-rig boats. I've no idea what happened to her after '86, though.

Rampant ii was built in South Africa in '79, sailed in Cape to Uruguay race in '82 and '85 as well as a couple of Sydney Hobarts and the '86 Transpac. Owned by Alan Tucker, who was a very good Flying Dutchman and Finn sailor who, although he emigrated to Aus in the early '80's, continued to be involved in South African Finn sailing until very recently. The boat was designed by Angelo Lavranos, 70' long. Angelo did have a tendency to under-rig boats. I've no idea what happened to her after '86, though.

Thank you. Interesting looking boat. My dad sailed in a few hobarts in the early 80's and i remember nothing of the boat until i saw it in a the book i quoted. The boat does look very under powered, could this have been because of Cape and South African conditions?

I was hoping to find some pictures of an S&S boat Santervea, i believe she was built for Terry Veale in Western Australia. I believe she was a very close sister-ship to Tenacious/War Baby/Dora iv. around 61ft. There is nothing about it listed on the Sparkman & Stephens website. I think she ended up being named Samurai somewhere in QLD.

I was hoping to find some pictures of an S&S boat Santervea, i believe she was built for Terry Veale in Western Australia. I believe she was a very close sister-ship to Tenacious/War Baby/Dora iv. around 61ft. There is nothing about it listed on the Sparkman & Stephens website. I think she ended up being named Samurai somewhere in QLD.

Scroll down here: https://nickandcarmengowalkabout.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/rainbow-beach-to-airlie-beach-and-whitsunday-sailing-turtles-bats-paradise-diving-snorkeling-and-sailing-17th-21st-july/

Thanks for that. 1 powerball.

she had a few good battles Independent Endeavour

From the dates it looks like Santervea would have some development of Kings Legend. Yes those races against Independent Endeavour would have been something to have been a part of. The days of wire-to-rope everything and twin pole gybing. Luckily there is the wind here to push both of them. It would be great if anyone has any pictures of her in her racing days. i did find a few clips of her now as Samurai doing charters. Why change such a pretty name, to something that has been so over used??

Comanche - currently sitting off St Barth, still very well maintained by it's fastidious owners but a bargain when you consider the replacement cost and money spent on development.

have I gone off too early ? :D

Perhaps Sandy can buy it to give the Wild Oats name another chance at winning a Hobart race

Perhaps Sandy can buy it to give the Wild Oats name another chance at winning a Hobart race

pretty sure the one they've got is more than capable ..................... _)