• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Spudly

Syd-Hobart Yachts, Where are they Now?

Talking of Frers what happened with Bumblebee IV John Kahlbetzer winner early maxi, she always looked right

After winning the S2H she went overseas and competed in a Transpac. Syd Fisher bought her, renamed her Ragamuffin.She lost a mast in Sydney Harbor, the mast is now the flagstaff at the Hamilton island yacht club. I believe she was also owned by Anton Starling and called Joico Ragamuffin. She was retired to the Whitsunday islands to ferry eurotrash around under the name of "maxi ragamuffin". She has recently been put back into racing trim and named after Nant Whiskey, competed in the last S2H.

& will likely be for sale very shortly. Should be cents in the dollar after the $1m recently spent.

Talking of Frers what happened with Bumblebee IV John Kahlbetzer winner early maxi, she always looked right

After winning the S2H she went overseas and competed in a Transpac. Syd Fisher bought her, renamed her Ragamuffin.She lost a mast in Sydney Harbor, the mast is now the flagstaff at the Hamilton island yacht club. I believe she was also owned by Anton Starling and called Joico Ragamuffin. She was retired to the Whitsunday islands to ferry eurotrash around under the name of "maxi ragamuffin". She has recently been put back into racing trim and named after Nant Whiskey, competed in the last S2H.

& will likely be for sale very shortly. Should be cents in the dollar after the $1m recently spent.

$1m??? faaaarrrrrk. I read report somewhere saying that pieces of winch systems that to be machined again. For 1 million bucks and the price of the boat. Surely for 7 figures you'd go for something that would be a little further up the leader board to give your sponsor more exposure. Don't get me wrong, i'm stoked that this boat is back on the track, well maintained and doing its thing, the old i.o.r. maxi's were stunning to look at and looked great knocking some water around (i'm sure they were brutish)but "human interest" stories on returning classics are few and far between, unless you live in Atigua or St. Tropez and love canvass and wood. Can't see the return, especially when Rothmans is for sale for US$240,000 odd. The report i read said it came with a full container of sails not used in over ten years. Bonus.

Including matching new sets of HH wet-weather for all the crew of course - just for their 5 seconds of TV coverage.

You gotta wonder how he ended up with that boat. Did he Google search "maxi yacht for sale" or "ragamuffin for sale" & buy the first one?

Including matching new sets of HH wet-weather for all the crew of course - just for their 5 seconds of TV coverage.

You gotta wonder how he ended up with that boat. Did he Google search "maxi yacht for sale" or "ragamuffin for sale" & buy the first one?

Yep. If your gonna a get a history hardon with your salt water surely you'd throw SSS at plastic Condor, twice grand slam winner. Each to their own i guess, Ragamuffin is a pretty boat, i think built by Paul Kelly who built Sovereign.

Condor still looks good. Only Maxi in Airlie who sails with full sails & a kite. The rest have pin head mains & 2-3rd reef in @ 10knots.

$1m??? faaaarrrrrk. I read report somewhere saying that pieces of winch systems that to be machined again. For 1 million bucks and the price of the boat. Surely for 7 figures you'd go for something that would be a little further up the leader board to give your sponsor more exposure. Don't get me wrong, i'm stoked that this boat is back on the track, well maintained and doing its thing, the old i.o.r. maxi's were stunning to look at and looked great knocking some water around (i'm sure they were brutish)but "human interest" stories on returning classics are few and far between, unless you live in Atigua or St. Tropez and love canvass and wood. Can't see the return, especially when Rothmans is for sale for US$240,000 odd. The report i read said it came with a full container of sails not used in over ten years. Bonus.

Mr Batt the Nant Whisky guy who put new life into her and dreamed about taking her to England for a whisky marketing tour back home is currently within a bees dick of going to the big house for corporate fraud....Syd would not approve of that pwison same sex shit.

What happened to Great News the ior Farr 50?

Flying Colours Steinman 52 last I heard she was in a paddock....?

And the last Bumblebee that won the hobart race...Ian Murray Skippered?

BTW Didnt Hollywood buy the Hobart winner Rosebud a few years ago...What happened to her? Did she even leave the USA?

Steer her up hill for half an hour in 20 knots & you'll understand.

Or more frighteningly like we did in the '98 Hobart up wind in 45 gusting 50 with a no.5 & a single reef, just waiting for something to explode, (nothing did). To quote Syd "Drive the bastard we'll see who breaks first". & no I wasn't driving for that one, just hanging on.

There is nothing like the feeling of POWER these old maxis gave when they really started to push water. A modern boat is much faster & bounces harder, but doesn't have the loads, (or the bloody wire).

TUBBY

You won't convince me tubby. You can buy a real maxi like Lahana for 600k, Rambler90 for a mill or a pocket maxi like WILD JOE for 600k & I'm sure they all go pretty good uphill. If you have to have IOR, plenty of good ones around people have already piled the money into. The company is about to be DTS. What does that tell you about the guys spending controls?

BTW Didnt Hollywood buy the Hobart winner Rosebud a few years ago...What happened to her? Did she even leave the USA?

Bumblebee 5 has been redone as a family cruiser / Racer by the owner of Brindabella and Maserati.... Looks sensational and easy to sail with new power options

Great News was converted to a cruiser. Rig changed to masthead.

Mark Twain for sail....sale

1_3.jpg

The first yacht to compete and finish 25 Sydney Hobart races, Mark Twain is a bullet proof ocean racer designed by the legendary U. S naval architects Sparkman and Stephens. The hull was built by Doug Brooker in Sydney and the timber fit out crafted by Cec Quilkey. Mark Twain's design features are echoed in the original Ragamuffin, Love and War and Salacia 2.

1_3.jpg

The first yacht to compete and finish 25 Sydney Hobart races, Mark Twain is a bullet proof ocean racer designed by the legendary U. S naval architects Sparkman and Stephens. The hull was built by Doug Brooker in Sydney and the timber fit out crafted by Cec Quilkey. Mark Twain's design features are echoed in the original Ragamuffin, Love and War and Salacia 2.

Great to see Twain in good shape. Utterly gorgeous boat, built by legends.

1_3.jpg

Great to see Twain in good shape. Utterly gorgeous boat, built by legends.

She is mint. From what i know Pilgrim/Perie Banou ii was built first, then the moulds were used for Mark Twain. Doug Brooker left the moulds in it making her tank tough. I was lucky enough to go for a sail on Pilgrim a couple of times, very nice boat.

That was Pilgrim. She is now owned by Jon Sanders and called Perie Banou 2. Jon will be doing a tenth circumnavigation Starting in September leaving Fremantle, using Bermuda as his Antipodal point. The boat had quite a lot done to it a few years back.

Talk about tumble home on her can remember from 1975 when she was light blue or was that Pilgrim?

Sure is. He drove the original Perie Banou, as S&S34 to a third in the 1984 Sydney Hobart. One of the worst races ever, which Lion New Zealand won line honours and Indian Pacific corrected time. The race had it's first fatality that year, i think from memory his name was Wally Russell, but i might be wrong.

Can someone explain how Lou Abrahams Challenge, the S&S46 was the first, but seemed to go straight to Challenge iii, the Frers boat that sailed for Audtralia in the 1985 CMAC. What was challenge ii?

Can someone explain how Lou Abrahams Challenge, the S&S46 was the first, but seemed to go straight to Challenge iii, the Frers boat that sailed for Audtralia in the 1985 CMAC. What was challenge ii?

Challenge 11 was the S&S46. It became Challenge 11 because there was already another yacht named Challenge listed on the Australian Register of Shipping when they came to register the yacht as was required to sail it out of Australian waters to Hawaii.

Okay, makes sense. Wonder where she is now, as I remember challenge iii ploughed a sandbar on the entrance to port Philip.

Challenge 11 was in Port Douglas FNQ for a while but has since moved on, I had heard she went up to Darwin but haven't heard of her for some years now.

Challenge 111 - that was no sandbar, somewhat harder than sand! Rumours continue that someone bought the remains from the insurer and she is being rebuilt.

It's interesting that Challenge 11's crew seemed to really get the most out of her, there is a lot of Internet clutter saying her close sister ships inca/marac and obsession were absolute woofers and cost Bill Langan quite a lot of cred.

Was Thunderdome, that good of a boat to be put back together after being torn open during a roll over in the 1993 RSHYR, when she was Swuzzlebubble 8?, I think Ian Gibbs broke his pelvis

Was Thunderdome, that good of a boat to be put back together after being torn open during a roll over in the 1993 RSHYR, when she was Swuzzlebubble 8?, I think Ian Gibbs broke his pelvis

She was never meant to last very long. Built with that green and very brittle Termanto foam... but super light. She had some "over heating" issues with the deck when being cooked too.

A long time ago, a Japanese sailor brought a Santa Cruz 70 called Marishiten, I don't know how she went, or what happened to her.

A long time ago, a Japanese sailor brought a Santa Cruz 70 called Marishiten, I don't know how she went, or what happened to her.

Marishiten was an NM68 not an SC70. She lives up in the Pacific Northwest USA as Coruba. I believe she set the Swiftsure record for a while but I think Glory has beaten it since...

Your right, and thankyou for correcting me. Really good looking sled. It would have been good to have her charge around Australia a bit. She came here right at the time that the IOR was getting stupid, and people were starting to build Inglis 47's.

Here's a couple more-

Mululu

Satin sheets

Micropay Cuckoos nest

Windward Passage 2

Castaway New Zealand/ Gatorade

Cuckoo's Nest was sold mid 90s and renamed Rapscallion. It sailed in the 98 Sydney Hobart (I was on it). Then sold to Tasmania and renamed Interum it sailed another couple of Sydney Hobarts I believe, last I heard it had been renamed Bombora and was perhaps in Victoria. Lovely boat, wicked offwind. Just so-so uphill, Would do well with a carbon rig and a tweaked keel IMHO.

Here's a couple more-

Mululu

Satin sheets

Micropay Cuckoos nest

Windward Passage 2

Cuckoo's Nest was sold mid 90s and renamed Rapscallion. It sailed in the 98 Sydney Hobart (I was on it). Then sold to Tasmania and renamed Interum it sailed another couple of Sydney Hobarts I believe, last I heard it had been renamed Bombora and was perhaps in Victoria. Lovely boat, wicked offwind. Just so-so uphill, Would do well with a carbon rig and a tweaked keel IMHO.

Now called Nexedge, was for sale on Gumtree a little while ago and in Tassie. Not sure if still in Tassie now though. https://www.facebook.com/NexedgeR22/

Yeah, she's a Davidson, almost exactly the same as Thunderdome. Check her out at rbsailing blogspot. She had good money thrown at her, was very competitive for a long time.

And these days people would wonder why you would sail such a small boat in the Hobart.

Here's a couple more-

Mululu

Satin sheets

Micropay Cuckoos nest

Windward Passage 2

Now called Nexedge, was for sale on Gumtree a little while ago and in Tassie. Not sure if still in Tassie now though. https://www.facebook.com/NexedgeR22/

Yep, still in Hobart (last time I checked) - and has been racing as Nexedge for several years. Usually somewhere near the pointy end of the fleet.

Nexedge has recently been sold to a fellow Hobart sailor (same club too - BYC) will be the new Invincible

Great team on Invincible, but hard to imaging they'll be as successful on the new one.... I'll be happy to eat my words, and wish them the best of luck!

Here's a couple more-

Mululu

Satin sheets

Micropay Cuckoos nest

Windward Passage 2

I see its been re rigged at some point, had three in line spreaders and runners plus overlapping jibs when I knew it. It was built with two sets of chain plates internally, one for in line and one for swept back spreaders. As originally launched the rig was 500 mm taller and it had 4 sets of spreaders, that rig fell down. Rig #2 had three and a stiffer tube, which we shortened for rating reasons.

I hit my all time pb on that boat in the 98 Hobart, SOG just shy of 32 knots, around 28 through the water.

And again in 1981. We listened to their fanciful position reports and decided their navigator was Major Fuckup

Here's a couple more-

Mululu

Satin sheets

Micropay Cuckoos nest

Windward Passage 2

I see its been re rigged at some point, had three in line spreaders and runners plus overlapping jibs when I knew it. It was built with two sets of chain plates internally, one for in line and one for swept back spreaders. As originally launched the rig was 500 mm taller and it had 4 sets of spreaders, that rig fell down. Rig #2 had three and a stiffer tube, which we shortened for rating reasons.

I hit my all time pb on that boat in the 98 Hobart, SOG just shy of 32 knots, around 28 through the water.

I remember this boat as it was previously named Bombora when it raced out of Royals in Melbourne and the owner at the time replaced the old inline rig with a Sydney 38 rig with the new chain plate work all done by Rob Hick. The idea at the time was to buy second s38 jibs I think. Also noticed it was a little on the tender side with old ims fin keel arrangement but this may have been changed.p

When this boat raced in Melbourne it did not achieve any spectacular results on IRC or ams. I do like this boat as It is comfortable down below and good size cockpit.

Didnt Windward Passage 2 become " Il Moro De Venezia" ?

What happened to Cookson 12 No Fearr? I have fond memories of her... We won everything in 1996 except the Sydney - Hobart that i missed because my misses (ex misses) at the time wouldnt let me go!!!!! Was a rocketship!!!

Last i heard she had a sweptback rig and used for shorthanded racing. Was arguably the best C12 ever.

This months post on rbsailing is the one tonner Is Full Pelt a Dubois one tonner from Europe, does anyone know if this is an exact sister ship to Ronstan Ultimate Challenge?, I realise that RUC had been modified by Scott Jutson, correcting a bow down, down wind issue.

What happened to Cookson 12 No Fearr? I have fond memories of her... We won everything in 1996 except the Sydney - Hobart that i missed because my misses (ex misses) at the time wouldnt let me go!!!!! Was a rocketship!!!

Last i heard she had a sweptback rig and used for shorthanded racing. Was arguably the best C12 ever.

Actually, that's arguably About Time. The boat has more pickle forks than GybeSet the pickle fucker.

Actually, that's arguably About Time. The boat has more pickle forks than GybeSet the pickle fucker.

Assume you mean pickle dishes? Pickle forks are a whole 'nother type of sailing.

Assume you mean pickle dishes? Pickle forks are a whole 'nother type of sailing.

Sure. The important point here is that GybeSet is a pickle fucker.

And About Time is a legend, of course...

Fucking pickle isn't an easy thing to do, but I'm told it's rewarding

Now you've gone and done it........ say it three times and see what happens.... he will appear shortly

Now you've gone and done it........ say it three times and see what happens.... he will appear shortly

Nah, best way to ensure ol' Davey Glideshit shows up is to proclaim that "S & S 34 IS THE ULTIMATE SPORTSBOAT"

Nah, best way to ensure ol' Davey Glideshit shows up is to proclaim that "S & S 34 IS THE ULTIMATE SPORTSBOAT"

His last post was from over 2 weeks ago... Should someone go check his house? His 37 cats have probably eaten him by now (assuming the worst).

His last post was from over 2 weeks ago... Should someone go check his house? His 37 cats have probably eaten him by now (assuming the worst).

No news is good news?

LoL I thought boats only went up in price when they went to WA like SMB#1!

That Apollo link should be in the graigslist thread were they mock ads with accidental decimal places.

Looks well kept in the pics but similar businesses have been for sale for miles less. Not sure how a more modern maxi would go up there. They keep a few of those old ones alive by selling each other left overs & there's also a couple that are condemned not sure there would be boxes of winch parts & old sails to keep a modern one alive.

Gotta admire their optimism at that price.

Harsh commercial reality will tell an altogether different story.

I think that my first shag at work happened aboard the Gherkin... If those walls - or that hull could talk!

Pics or it never happ.... on second thoughts, never mind.

Who was the lucky bloke?

Was just watching the film of the 2003 Sydney Hobart. Does anyone know what happened to John Bennetto's Mirrabooka?,She was a light blue Frers desing +/-47ft. Really nice boat.

Pretty sure I saw her a few weeks ago in Prince of Wales Bay Marina, Hobart. She still looks good.