• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Spudly

Syd-Hobart Yachts, Where are they Now?

would you rather it sitting in a corn field like Sayonara or bastardised like Pyewacket ? or bumping down the side of the continent like Amazon ?

Amazon went before her time, but she got a Viking funeral.

Apparently the designer was "Ben Lexan". Sounds like a pane in the glass to me.

Unfortunately there are some cowboys running these boats and they are not cheap to run so they end up looking like shit. Others are run as a proper business and are in good condition and well maintained ie Condor, Hammer and Broomstick.

I went on Rags some time ago for a dive package. She wasn't in too bad shape, albeit filled with dive gear up front. Man she was massive downstairs, forget how voluptuous those IOR girls were...

would you rather it sitting in a corn field like Sayonara or bastardised like Pyewacket ? or bumping down the side of the continent like Amazon ?

no

she was sold to liveaboard gypies and dragged up the coast hitting beaches long after that

no

she was sold to liveaboard gypies and dragged up the coast hitting beaches long after that

Trust me - after the fire there was nothing to live aboard on.

Anything of use from the boat (some winches, pedestals and the top of the rig) was stripped - some of it ended up on SilentNite Beds (Lexcen 50' IOR pig, ex Madame DeFarge? - painted black in the early 2000's) and some of it ended up on Broomstick (ex Nandor Fa Kursk/Russian Submarine 60', stretched out to 66' by Kel Steinmann with the rebuild supervised by John Biddlecombe).

The fire fucked hull was taken as payment by the shipwright who did most of the asset removal. He was a typical shipwrong, not a gypsie and he didn't pay anything for the hull and he certainly didn't live on it. He just towed it progressively further north as he got moved on from each location for non payment of mooring fees.

yeah Timmy, thats what I recall, pics of her in the press beached on the nsw nth coast as she leapfrogged north

she was the fastest boat we had for quite a while

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/133922227?searchTerm=yacht%20Amazon%20beach&searchLimits=sortby=dateDesc

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/127223715?searchTerm=yacht%20Amazon%20beach&searchLimits=

Anybody know state and whereabouts of 1975 winner Rampage?

She is currently sitting in Mosman Bay next to Ragamuffin and for sale. Recently just has a cut n polish etc

When Ed Fuller owned Rampage in Melbourne she had newspaper clippings stuck up in the galley with classic headlines like Drunken Louts on Rampage, Drug Crazed Bikies on Rampage and the very non-PC Petrol Sniffing Aboriginals on Rampage.

Here she is in Geelong one Australia Day Weekend back in the 70's

post-449-0-98774500-1479129800_thumb.jpg

yeah Timmy, thats what I recall, pics of her in the press beached on the nsw nth coast as she leapfrogged north

she was the fastest boat we had for quite a while

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/133922227?searchTerm=yacht%20Amazon%20beach&searchLimits=sortby=dateDesc

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/127223715?searchTerm=yacht%20Amazon%20beach&searchLimits=

She started her beach hopping much further south- back when she was chartered by Grant Wharington. She came adrift in a gale after being left anchored with no one aboard and surfed her way through several moored boats unscathed to land up on Portsea Beach, right in front of the Portsea Pub. Funniest sight was crewman Davey Haines sprinting flat out along the Pier and diving into the Bay, swimming to Amazon and climbing up on to the deck just after the press photo here was taken. He then rode her on to the beach like a miniature surfer on a giant surfboard. She was quickly refloated and I believe she escaped this grounding with minimal damage.

post-449-0-94322300-1479256704_thumb.jpg

Heres a couple more shots of Amazon, this time at the CYCA in Sydney.

post-449-0-14518100-1479259302_thumb.jpg

This shot shows an Interesting comparison of stern designs on similar length boats, the skinny Farr designed original Brindabella and the awesomely wide-arsed Amazon from the pen of Kel Steinman who designed some innovative and interesting boats, some more successful than others.

post-449-0-19739500-1479259321_thumb.jpg

Kel had a hip operation a bit back Havent spoken for a bit...

He always wanted to do a canting keeler but never got the chance would have made an interesting Amazon

Is there any place you can get a copy of any of Kel Steinman's designs ?

I always liked his little J law 30 designs

Pulpit

Heres a couple more shots of Amazon, this time at the CYCA in Sydney.

attachicon.gifAmazon (1).jpg

This shot shows an Interesting comparison of stern designs on similar length boats, the skinny Farr designed original Brindabella and the awesomely wide-arsed Amazon from the pen of Kel Steinman who designed some innovative and interesting boats, some more successful than others.

attachicon.gifAmazon (2).jpg

Brindabella won line honours in the 91 Hobart. She was designed to rate IOR and IMS, although she didn't enter under IMS that year. I think the stern reflected an effort to rate under IOR.

Pulpit

Mal Hart built a couple of J-Law variants in strip cedar, the two ill fated Great Expectations boats. They were seriously fast JOG boats in their day and I got to sail on both occasionally as the owner was a former crew member of mine.The first one was t-boned by Dorro on a start line of a Petersville Series race and sank in Port Phillip. That cost the owner his job when he was seen by his boss on live TV being interviewed about the incident after having taken a sickie from work to go racing.The other was sadly lost at sea with all 6 hands coming back across Bass Strait after a Devonport Race in 1990.

Mal may still have something on them - good place to start.

All you need to know is ..... Buy it.

Current owners had a blog & they had a good run out of it.

Could use a diet if you wanted to race it again.

Pulpit

Mal Hart built a couple of J-Law variants in strip cedar, the two ill fated Great Expectations boats. They were seriously fast JOG boats in their day and I got to sail on both occasionally as the owner was a former crew member of mine.The first one was t-boned by Dorro on a start line of a Petersville Series race and sank in Port Phillip. That cost the owner his job when he was seen by his boss on live TV being interviewed about the incident after having taken a sickie from work to go racing.The other was sadly lost at sea with all 6 hands coming back across Bass Strait after a Devonport Race in 1990.

Mal may still have something on them - good place to start.

Sportscar, do you have any pics of Jlaw in your impressive collection? I did a fair bit of time on it - twas a rocket in JOG - I'd love to have a shot of it - It was a rule beater, but it could really move - we even managed to scare ourselves with kite up in big northerly.......also, does anyone have the moment of impact photo between Dorro (on Sweet Caroline?) and Frank (on Great Expectations)? It showed Frank on GE holding the bow of SC in a "headlock" - so lucky nobody was killed that day!

B 52 has been for sail for awhile now in Brisbane.

The Jlaw boats are a great design and are a good all round boat. I saw one of the first Jlaw boats in Queensland about 12 months ago at the boat works marine. I talked to the owner who said that his boat was one of the first and had less rocker than the later boats. It lives at up at Raby Bay in Brisbane.

If I had the cash I'd look at B52 as it's a fun boat.

Pulpit

Wasn't she originally Sweet Caroline?

I think it may be the second Sweet Caroline IIRC, first was a narrow sterned Peterson designed 46 footer outta the USA called Big Schott at some point. Or it could be the other way around - maybe the Davidson boat came first. Vague recollection that the Sweet Caroline owner got caught up in a cheating scandal and got banned.

DD is right she was a Sweet Caroline originally, and one of at least two I can remember. McConaghy's built one too I think.

The Davidson has a whopping great freezer down below under the cockpit so that happy hour beers were always cold, dinners were mostly roast lamb and ice cream did appear on some of the northern trips.

I think my best memory is steering her across Moreton Bay on the way to a Mooloolaba finish and hitting 16 knots DDW... I fondly imagined I was in control, but that fat little bustle aft meant she was pretty much doing what she wanted as my arms got longer and longer hanging on to that tiller.

Singapore Girl, can't remember if she was a Farr or Davidson 34 or 36 was abandoned off the east coast of Tasmania yesterday - torn sail and overheated engine.... otherwise sound. Salvage anyone?

A couple of locals (acting for the insurance company) were dropped off on Singapore Girl, with a couple of jerry cans / fuel fileters etc. Motored her back into St Helens. Not much wrong with her, apparently.

Somebody (in West Oz?) has cut the cabin off the McConaghy Sweet Caroline and fitted the ugliest dog-box in the history of ugly dog-boxes, then, apparently run outta cash. Such a shame, cos it now looks like a buldog licking piss off a stinging nettle, and they'll have trouble giving it away. I looked at buying it about 12 years ago...

I think it may be the second Sweet Caroline IIRC, first was a narrow sterned Peterson designed 46 footer outta the USA called Big Schott at some point. Or it could be the other way around - maybe the Davidson boat came first. Vague recollection that the Sweet Caroline owner got caught up in a cheating scandal and got banned.

The Peterson 46 Big Schott in Sydney way back when... Marshall on the helm and that may be Doug Peterson in the blue shirt just in front of him?

post-449-0-00240100-1481608616_thumb.jpg

Don't know about the owner getting banned...

Possibly you've got the story mixed up? Caroline was built as a development of the pommie boat VICTORY, because she had such a great rating and was pretty quick. Shame the pommies cheated on their rating all along, so when rated correctly she wasn't so quick. And Caroline could never get her rating down to be really competitive.

Victory's owner was banned IIRC.

Dick you probably thinking when the Davidson Sweet Caroline became WitchDoctor circa 1983 and their IOR certificate ballast cheat which resulted in their owners getting banned.

My recollection is hazy but that sounds credible...I recall hearing it was Marshall Phillips who got banned, he was the Sweet Caroline owner wasn't he? Not sure how Big schott fitted in - was it renamed Sweet Caroline at some point? I also vaguely recall it may have reverted to Big Schott under a later owner.

I guess all these old IOR clunkers are sitting around on moorings and marinas now.

So the McConaghy built Sweet Caroline (thanks for the pic Bill E Goat) was owned by David Hales @RBYC and later by Bill Rawson @RVYC.....anyone able to fill in the other ownership details? Why anyone would cut off the cabin for a dog box beats me? Any clues as to where it is today? Was a nice boat in her day....

So the McConaghy built Sweet Caroline (thanks for the pic Bill E Goat) was owned by David Hales @RBYC and later by Bill Rawson @RVYC.....anyone able to fill in the other ownership details? Why anyone would cut off the cabin for a dog box beats me? Any clues as to where it is today? Was a nice boat in her day....

Bill Rawson did a swap (along with a truckload of cash) with Keith Flint. Keith took SC and Bill got Helsal 2. Keith later decided SC was too small for him and bought a 66' ketch, but I don't know where SC ended up.

Dick you probably thinking when the Davidson Sweet Caroline became WitchDoctor circa 1983 and their IOR certificate ballast cheat which resulted in their owners getting banned.

My recollection is hazy but that sounds credible...I recall hearing it was Marshall Phillips who got banned, he was the Sweet Caroline owner wasn't he? Not sure how Big schott fitted in - was it renamed Sweet Caroline at some point? I also vaguely recall it may have reverted to Big Schott under a later owner.

I guess all these old IOR clunkers are sitting around on moorings and marinas now.

Dick the memory cells are rooted but pretty sure Marshall Phillips was the owner when it was named Sweet Caroline. The ban was against three or four owners he sold the boat to, a couple who were doctors hence the new name. The pricks pulled some ballast out of it and got caught on account it was bobing around like a cork.

SC was notorious for the dick act from Dorro who was driving and carved through the arse of, and sank, the Steinman 31 Great Expectations on a Petersville Series start line. I think Omar still has a slab of the side of GE with the name on it on his loft wall.

Dick the memory cells are rooted but pretty sure Marshall Phillips was the owner when it was named Sweet Caroline. The ban was against three or four owners he sold the boat to, a couple who were doctors hence the new name. The pricks pulled some ballast out of it and got caught on account it was bobing around like a cork.

Ah, well I'm happy to stand corrected on that front. Apologies to MP if he's still around and I got that wrong.

SC was notorious for the dick act from Dorro who was driving and carved through the arse of, and sank, the Steinman 31 Great Expectations on a Petersville Series start line. I think Omar still has a slab of the side of GE with the name on it on his loft wall.

Omar aka Filthy?

If so, it was on the wall in the loft back in the '80s, didn't notice it it at the new loft

Omar aka Filthy?

If so, it was on the wall in the loft back in the '80s, didn't notice it it at the new loft

The very same. I think it was upstairs on the wall, above the tearoom. Haven't been there in a while.

Omar the tent maker - was that the full title?

Very funny man, he knows how to tell a good story

Didn't Tony Pearson own Big Schott and he carried that name across various boats.

Think that might be right

After Big Schott he had Stormy Petrel...

Does anyone remember the boat STYX? Kind of looked like an Adams 10 but longer. I remember it in the Coffs Harbour race in '86. It followed Apollo all the way up the coast - it was quick.

Pretty sure is was just what you describe, an Adams 10 on steroids. I think it sailed out of Lake Macquarie

Omar aka Filthy?

The very same. I think it was upstairs on the wall, above the tearoom. Haven't been there in a while.

I asked on another thread if anyone had the action photo of SC v's GE, with Omar getting the bow of SC in a headlock at the start....would love to get hold of it ( I sailed on both boats over the years!)

Pretty sure is was just what you describe, an Adams 10 on steroids. I think it sailed out of Lake Macquarie

STYX - She was a Warwick Hood design.

Omar aka Filthy?

I asked on another thread if anyone had the action photo of SC v's GE, with Omar getting the bow of SC in a headlock at the start....would love to get hold of it ( I sailed on both boats over the years!)

Filthy/Omar might have the newspaper clipping still, be the first place to start looking.

(I did some time on GE, inc JOG Nationals out of Brighton)

I think Bill Lee ended up owning it and rotted away on a mooring in Rushcutters Bay

Styx then moved up the harbour somewhere (say 10 years ago) and for all we know is still rotting on a mooring someplace up the river unless someone put it out of its misery. Helluva shame, was a glamour boat, and with TLC could be a very cool harbour racer but the cost to get it going again would hve been vast. Warwick Hood passed last year sadly.

Styx had a thread a long while ago: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=36120

Here's that iconic photo of Styx taken off Cape Raoul on her way to Hobart

attachicon.gifStyx.jpg

Ah yes, remember being amazed by that pic back in the day! Reason enough for the boat to be resurrected - assuming it's still around someplace...

Styx! Use to sit off the end of Coal Point from memory. She was the gun boat on the lake until Let's Go came along.

Here's another gun boat from the distant past on the Lake. I took these shots from Kanga Birtles' Holland 44 Sangaree on a hard reach in the King of the Derwent in 1983 as the Adams 11.9. Newcastle Flyer ran us down and disappeared in the distance in front of us. Must have impressed me because we ended up buying a sistership a few years later.

post-449-0-39107200-1481772880_thumb.jpg post-449-0-69773700-1481772889_thumb.jpg

post-449-0-92012500-1481772906_thumb.jpg post-449-0-66116900-1481772921_thumb.jpg

I remember Newcastle Flyer - great boat. Love the Adams designs..

She later became Thumbs Up in Launceston and came to Melbourne renamed Turbo. Turbo then became Turbulence and recently moved to Qld so she is still going strong. She has done a 2 handed Melb - Osaka race along the way.

Speaking of which I wonder if anyone will ever rescue Innkeeper, languishing in a yard somewhere in south western sydney...

She later became Thumbs Up in Launceston and came to Melbourne renamed Turbo. Turbo then became Turbulence and recently moved to Qld so she is still going strong. She has done a 2 handed Melb - Osaka race along the way.

Actually 2 Osakas Chris

Anyone know what happened to Tobacco Road?

She was the lighter weight, flush decked, lifting keel Adams 11.9. I used to have a set of her plans somewhere.

Turbo with Andy Ayres at the helm... One shoulder wrapped around the runner to counteract the pull of the rudder!

First time I was given the helm was at 2am somewhere in Bass Strait

I'm hearin' ya DD!! I have a friend that lives nearby Innkeeper, which gives me an excuse to check on her. Man I wish someone would rescue her...

Here's that iconic photo of Styx taken off Cape Raoul on her way to Hobart

attachicon.gifStyx.jpg

Ah yes, remember being amazed by that pic back in the day! Reason enough for the boat to be resurrected - assuming it's still around someplace...

She was mastless and on a mooring off Cameron's Marina Birchgrove 9 months ago.

One of my favourite boats. Geoff lee put a wheel in it.

Dunno about that - Thumbs Up was named that from new and there was an Adams one tonner called Newcastle Flyer going around at the same time. I sailed on Thumbs back in the day.

Story was the the owner wanted to build a Farr one tonner, but Farr wouldn't let the design be done as a western red cedar cold molded job. Adams/Radford reckoned they could design a 1 tonner that would be just as fast and rate well (owners previous boat was an Adams). History shows it was a pig. Quality of build was excellent (buit by Ian Milner in Launceston), owner was great and really threw a heap of money on gear/sails and new rudder (carbon shaft in '86) and constant re-trims etc, but it just didn't go. He gave up sailing after selling the boat disillusioned with the whole thing which was a sad loss as there was talk of another build.

Turbo with Andy Ayres at the helm... One shoulder wrapped around the runner to counteract the pull of the rudder!

First time I was given the helm was at 2am somewhere in Bass Strait

I don't recall seeing Andy on the helm, he usually had a death-like grip on the back stay from whence he would give advice; and lots of it!! Great racing between Turbo and our sister 11.9, the third 'Sportscar' back in those days.The 185 mile match race across Bass Strait to Devonport in 1986 was epic. I have made a point to catch up with Les and Gai when I am in Metung each Easter.

Where did Madmans Woodyard pasture?

She's at the Bellerive Yacht Club, probably getting more love and attention than 90% of 1/2s around the country, seems to be out most weeks - at least for a mid week 'race' between retired gents.