Spudly

Syd-Hobart Yachts, Where are they Now?

After Natelle II Geoff Lee had Syd build Taurus II which was (theoretically) a sister to the then Rags and Alan Bond's Apollo V

Anyone know where she is?

Did the "thrifty" Davidson 39? make it out of the yard yet - just saw it mentioned in a quoted post.

Did the "thrifty" Davidson 39? make it out of the yard yet - just saw it mentioned in a quoted post.

yeah, getting slowly turned into a cruiser.

0_3.jpg

So the McConaghy built Sweet Caroline (thanks for the pic Bill E Goat) was owned by David Hales @RBYC and later by Bill Rawson @RVYC.....anyone able to fill in the other ownership details? Why anyone would cut off the cabin for a dog box beats me? Any clues as to where it is today? Was a nice boat in her day....

I told you it was fugly!

http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/dubois-45-pilothouse/194816

$39,000 make offer... sigh. I'd have paid $39k before the "improvements" commenced. Now - not so much

Fugly but comfortable.

When you are on a yacht you don't have to look at your own yacht.

Just relax and enjoy the calm peace of the dog house as they call it.

post-17796-0-04933600-1482335930_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-35411300-1482335947_thumb.jpg

Your boat? Did you change the mast?

Would love to catchup and exchange info on One Dog. Can you send a PM?

Your boat? Did you change the mast?

Nah, not mine, a mate of mine purchased it. very slow project I believe.

Fidelis, Sydney to Hobart line honours 50 years ago in 1966. Knud Reimers design, originally built and launched in 1964 for Vic Speight to race on Auckland Harbour but later set up for offshore racing by Jim Davern.

This photo was taken on a Kodak Box Brownie camera in 1965 when she was still an Auckland harbour racer. I was just 13 back then and this must be one of my first ever yacht photos.

post-449-0-49963500-1482476019_thumb.jpg

Lou Abraham's Challenge 11 (S & S 46) seen here running up river in the King of the Derwent Race in 1983, the year she won the Hobart.

Di Hard, Frers 40, heading upwind.

post-449-0-07354400-1482476339_thumb.jpg

fwoark, great pic of Buckleup! Awesome boat. She used to terrorise the inshore at the RPAYC. I think she now lives on a mooring in Hunters Hill...

Regular Hobart contender Helsal 11 (Adams 66ft) then owned by Keith Flint out of Adelaide hotly pursued on a hard reach by our little Sportscar (Elliott 33ft) in a big Port Phillip north westerrly. We did get past them and held the lead for a short while... until the course headed upwind. From there on it was goodnight nurse.

post-449-0-71367700-1482476507_thumb.jpg

SPORTSCAR, where do you keep your archive of photos? Are they all digitised? You've collected some serious history that needs to be protected!!! Thanks for sharing!

SPORTSCAR, where do you keep your archive of photos? Are they all digitised? You've collected some serious history that needs to be protected!!! Thanks for sharing!

+1 to the comment above! Loving the old school pics SC!

Does anyone have any pics of what Helsal II looks like now she's been cruisified? Keen to see how an old favourite is getting along today..

Popped up on FB an hour ago 15727314_834137596726087_714205347950411

Where did Madmans Woodyard pasture?

Why would Larry/God have Sayonara cut up?

I'd like to see or know where the 1ton brigade are

Sagacious, Ultimate Challenge, Prime Factor, Southern Cross, Indian Pacific, Queensland Maid, Hitchiker 2, Another Concubine, Szechwan, Inch by Winch, True Blue, Nadia iv, Prime Times, Joint Venture, Westernport, Finestere, Intrigue, Dry White, Black Magic, Apollo vi, Seaulater, Once More Dear Friends, etc etc

Maybe some bigger boats like Madam de Farge, Mirrabooka, Siska 5, Evelyn.....

There was a Jutson 50, orignally called Second Term, which i think became Braveheart...

Any pictures Apollo before arse re-model.

Alright, let's help find a few more of these boats and more.

Beyond Thunderdone - is in Glastone, Queensland for sale $55K

Witch Doctor - currently on the Hardstand at The BoatWorks, Gold Coast Queensland.

Siska - one of the old timber siska's was sitting for a long time at horision shores marine and was cut up as the dry rot took over.

Seaulater - I own her and she is currently undergoing a refit and will end up here on the Gold Coast. She will be on the market next year. She has been up in Gladstone for the last 20 odd years.

I found a old 1 toner in a boat yard in Cleavland on the hardstand under going a IOR de bumping. The boat had no name on it, it had a old sponsorship inprint of "Thrifty Cars" on the side. Any one have a idea ?

If anyone can help with more information on "Seaulater" I'd like to find out more about her. She is a great boat and I'd love to find out more about her history.

Pulpit

Sorry I wasn't able to catch up with you the other day at Sandringham, Heres another Seaulater gem from the 1984 Melbourne Devonport race as reported in the local daily rag:

attachicon.gifSCN_0026.jpg

Thanks SPORTSCAR

For posting that photo of the old girl.

It's a pity that I missed you the other week. I was going to show you the old battle flag hoping that you know a little about it.

Pulpit

What ever happened to Sean Langman Grundig / AAPT the open 60 modified on steroids?

Went to Auckland recently didn't it?

Nope, gone to Adelaide, where all once- good boats go to die.

Nope, gone to Adelaide, where all once- good boats go to die.

Huh, I thought they went to delaminate on a beach somewhere in Queensland ...

How recently? Broomstick went to Auckland in 2014

Where are they now?

Wild Oats X1 currently languishing, pretty much immobilised and largely unloved in a remote southern New South Wales fishing port. Apparently the crew bailed out on an express one-way bus back to Brookvale.

Where are they now?

Wild Oats X1 currently languishing, pretty much immobilised and largely unloved in a remote southern New South Wales fishing port. Apparently the crew bailed out on an express one-way bus back to Brookvale.

If it gets chained to a dock or gets listed for sale without sails THEN you will know it's a former S-H supermaxi contender!

Last I Heard of Tobacco Road was she went to Tassie and re named Thunderstruck?

Yup, was on The Tamr for 10 years or so but would of left atleast 10 years ago.

Only did one race on her, was blowing pretty hard and she had a massive over length pole and masthead chute.

We laid it flat for about 30 seconds and all I remember is standing on the side of a winch, one hand one a staunchion and the other hanging onto a female crew members hand as she swung across the cockpit, not touching a thing!!

Just found out Thunderstruck went to Japan, was lengthened, new deep keel/bulb, new rig and is used as a 2 handed offshore boat!!!

The fleets of the 90's are no more.... sad to see the family raced amateur crewed boats no longer entering the race. Is it mainly cost and/or safety regs keeping the smaller boats/budgets away these days?

I would say that about 50% of the boats are still amateur/club type racers. Most of the boats look pro-ish, like Chutzpah, but they're basically a club racer. No pros onboard, but some very good sailors. Robby is another that springs to mind. Most boats race every weekend & the offshore, with the same crew, all taking holidays to do it..... its more a pity they have 3 start lines for 80 odd boats. They used to have 100+ on 1 line in my day!

I would say that about 50% of the boats are still amateur/club type racers. Most of the boats look pro-ish, like Chutzpah, but they're basically a club racer. No pros onboard, but some very good sailors. Robby is another that springs to mind. Most boats race every weekend & the offshore, with the same crew, all taking holidays to do it..... its more a pity they have 3 start lines for 80 odd boats. They used to have 100+ on 1 line in my day!

They used to carry homing pigeons instead of trackers as well. times change mate - embrace it. 100 footers and 4 knot shitboxs don't mix well on start lines.

I was on one of the faster 40 footers in the most recent race and it was more than "sporty" enough for me tangling with the TP52s and the 70 foot cruisers on the second start line. Watching the 100 footers and VOR70s roar around on the 1st start line was awesome, terrific (in the true sense of the word) and frightening.

There is just no way you could run one start line these days without significant death and destruction... especially given the restricted sailing room and spectator craft.

Cheers

Mex

I was on one of the faster 40 footers in the most recent race and it was more than "sporty" enough for me tangling with the TP52s and the 70 foot cruisers on the second start line. Watching the 100 footers and VOR70s roar around on the 1st start line was awesome, terrific (in the true sense of the word) and frightening.

There is just no way you could run one start line these days without significant death and destruction... especially given the restricted sailing room and spectator craft dangerous idiots in supermaxis who approach the start line on port and don't give way, or who barge through the spectator fleet.

Cheers

Mex

Fixed it for you....

A bit of ancient history compared to others in this thread, but FWIW I'm the current owner of the S&S designed / Brin Wilson built Pathfinder, '71 Sydney-Hobart winner. She has been in the Pacific Northwest, USA, since about 1980. Some (not many) cruising amenities have been added,and systems modernized, mostly well done work. I purchased her a little less than a year ago from John Guzzwell, who owned her twice. Apart from having a wheel now, rub rails (not too sure about those), and color, she looks much the same as in old photos. Paint is a bit neglected, but I'm expecting to rectify that when things warm up a bit.

Something of a project, but still very solid and worth it for a lover of old boats.

25596875954_f0f7dd31f3_z.jpg

I remember Pathfinder, raced against her back in the day. She didn't set the world on fire like Wai Aniwa, Rainbow II etc, but was always competitive. I suspect the teak decks aren't original and the cabin sides don't look familiar, but she is still gorgeous, congratulations on becoming the current custodian!

Thanks, Duncan and Recidivist.

From looking at old pictures (I have an article on Pathfinder in a tattered copy of New Zealand Boating World, Oct. ’71) the teak decks and cabin appear original, but the cabin top was originally painted a darker shade- probably nonskid?- and the ports were smaller, so the appearance is a bit changed. The interior has been modified quite a bit, but very much in the same style and woods.

NZ Boating foredeck detail

Brin Wilson Boatbuilders still has launch day pictures on their website: http://brinwilsonboats.co.nz/gallery/building/pathfinder/pathfinder.html

Winning a Hobart is a pretty good starting point for any yacht. It's also important to remember that Wilson and Lidgard were working day jobs as boat builders, while Bouzaid was fresh off the back of the Rainbow ll international campaigns and racing Cowes etc. For a later generation Hobart boat, Pacific Sundance is racing BOI Sailing Week this week.

Seen Madelein's Daughter today. Labor of love for sure. Can't work out how to post pics from my IPhone. Will post later when have better access next week. In a paddock in Whitsundays. Plan is to get her back to race trim.

What about the only concrete boat to take line honours in offshore race....

Helsall....

Wrecked on a reef in the Philippines many, many moons ago.

As a kid My grandfather was a cray fisherman at Triabunna on thew east coast, and after the Hobart all the yachts used to go up for a social fund raising race called the Crayfish Derby and local kids would sail on the boats. I got sail on Condor and check out Appollo, they had massive magnoavox GPS systems that cost more than our house (and were about the same size). But my favorite ride was on board a boat called Nuzulu it was much smaller than the maxis but they would get us doing stuff rather than just watch like on the bigger boats. They were really good with us kids. I would get sent up there every summer to work on my grandpas fishing boat because I was little fucker left to my own devices, so I was able to give them a heads up on some of the local anomalies for the race which helped us smoke a few bigger boats, as an 11 year kid it was a great thing.

This was in the 80s and the last I Heard of Nuzulu was 93 when she lost a rig in the Hobart.

It was shame when they stopped doing the Crayfish Derby but it was part of the changes when the boats became more professional I guess.

As a kid My grandfather was a cray fisherman at Triabunna on thew east coast, and after the Hobart all the yachts used to go up for a social fund raising race called the Crayfish Derby and local kids would sail on the boats. I got sail on Condor and check out Appollo, they had massive magnoavox GPS systems that cost more than our house (and were about the same size). But my favorite ride was on board a boat called Nuzulu it was much smaller than the maxis but they would get us doing stuff rather than just watch like on the bigger boats. They were really good with us kids. I would get sent up there every summer to work on my grandpas fishing boat because I was little fucker left to my own devices, so I was able to give them a heads up on some of the local anomalies for the race which helped us smoke a few bigger boats, as an 11 year kid it was a great thing.

This was in the 80s and the last I Heard of Nuzulu was 93 when she lost a rig in the Hobart.

It was shame when they stooped doing the Crayfish Derby but it was part of the changes when the boats became more professional I guess.

The boats also gained a lot more draft so transiting Dunalley Channel or tying up in Triabunna was impossible.

I still think it would be cool to restart the tradition. Maybe if the town could put on moorings and a tender service.

It was shame when they stooped doing the Crayfish Derby but it was part of the changes when the boats became more professional I guess.

The boats also gained a lot more draft so transiting Dunalley Channel or tying up in Triabunna was impossible.

I still think it would be cool to restart the tradition. Maybe if the town could put on moorings and a tender service.

yes the difficulties in going through the canal were certainly part of the problem, I am involved in a southeast development group I will give it some more thought, I found Nuzulu she is alive and well club racing in Freo.

Nuzulu - the 30 odd footer? That did a Hobart? Yes, it is at Fremantle Sailing Club. Haven't seen it move for years.

Nuzulu's (and all the other 'zulu's) owner is still going strong and sailing.. he'd be chuffed to hear you remember fun times on the boat, I'm sure.

Was Nuzulu based at Brighton back in the 90's?

Croaky had the 90 foot shockwave which became rambler 90 and then the 100 footer Alfa that became esimit Europa.

Morning glory is still in the plattner family

That was the bees knees back in 1991(?), somewhere I have a photo that I took from the top of Scavenger's mast.

In other news... I will be sailing on Scavenger today out of Mandurah WA, 20+ years since my last time aboard

Thats the IOR hull. The deck got chopped of and put on a Welbourn design IMS hull and is now called Yeah Baby, Syd did the same thing to Rags as the IMS didn't allow carbon, so this way they got a carbon nomex deck

Was the new IMS hull the heaven can wait that went from tiller to twin wheels?

Yep, believe so. I've sailed it, the deck is sorta showing its age these days but still a sweet boat. I recall seeing it at Hammo just after re-launch thinking it was a major glamour.

It was at Mooloolaba 2002 ish and I remember thinking it was fucking huge for a tiller steer.

Madelien's Daughter 002

Madelien's Daughter 001

As per above post, some pics of Madeliens Daughter.

As per above post, some pics of Madeliens Daughter.

"You do Not ave Permission to View This Image"

I sailed that boat when Steve Gunns owned it, out of Middle Harbour in Sydney in atound 1992. It was the full article but clearly not built to last.

Yep, believe so. I've sailed it, the deck is sorta showing its age these days but still a sweet boat. I recall seeing it at Hammo just after re-launch thinking it was a major glamour.

That had several chops did it not...?

I guess I can report in:

Stackerlee/White Cloud. My Cookson 12m. Did pretty OK on the S2H int he late 90's before it came north and It landed in the PNW. We do OK too. Even though my driver is a little young.

WC%20at%20Race%20Rocks%20Swiftsure%20201

Group%20shot.jpg

IIRC the original platform (hull/rig/sailplan) was massaged as IOR went through the various Mk 1.0 / Mk 27.2 / Mk 27.2aa but the biggest chop was when they cut the deck off in the late 90's early 00's and put the fat arsed Hugh Welbourn hull under it.

From memory, shortly after re-birth they had to rig a tacking line across the transom so the afterguard had something to help them cross the boat when going upwind....

IIRC the original platform (hull/rig/sailplan) was massaged as IOR went through the various Mk 1.0 / Mk 27.2 / Mk 27.2aa but the biggest chop was when they cut the deck off in the late 90's early 00's and put the fat arsed Hugh Welbourn hull under it.

From memory, shortly after re-birth they had to rig a tacking line across the transom so the afterguard had something to help them cross the boat when going upwind....

I'd believe that, long way across...

I guess I can report in:

Stackerlee/White Cloud. My Cookson 12m. Did pretty OK on the S2H int he late 90's before it came north and It landed in the PNW. We do OK too. Even though my driver is a little young.

Yes, the mighty Cookson 12 keeps on winning... Really are exceptional boats, though as I've been sailing that particular one for 16 years now I may be a little biased.

Pazzaz took a Division win in the last Sydney Hobart too.

I don't really know if she did a Hobart or not, I think she did, but whatever happened to Starfire of Perth a beautiful wooden boat?. The other one I'm looking for is Defiance, she was a blue 2 tonner with a southern cross on her side and was designed by Phil Curren of Rotto Ferry fame. She lived at RPYC in early to mid 80's

Seen Madelein's Daughter today. Labor of love for sure. Can't work out how to post pics from my IPhone. Will post later when have better access next week. In a paddock in Whitsundays. Plan is to get her back to race trim.

After the latest weather up there is she still in the paddock? In one piece?

I came across the Farr 50 hull "heaven can wait" on gumtree today.

It's the hull only and is on a block in a place called Howard in Queensland

Pulpit

I don't really know if she did a Hobart or not, I think she did, but whatever happened to Starfire of Perth a beautiful wooden boat?. The other one I'm looking for is Defiance, she was a blue 2 tonner with a southern cross on her side and was designed by Phil Curren of Rotto Ferry fame. She lived at RPYC in early to mid 80's

You sure you got that right.

The blue Defiance is a 1/2 tonner.

Timber, built by Doug booker.

That one I can help you with.

Spoke to the guy yesterday and she is on her side. Limited damage as far as he can see now, but may put an end to the project. Will wait and see what boat owner says.

Backfire of Bunburry did either the 68,69 or 70 Hobart. Scotty McCallister's father owned it

She is different boat to the 1/2 tonner defiance, this one was an aluminium 2 tonner. I think she might have gone to Albany for a time. Certainly designed by Phil Curran.

Spoke to the guy yesterday and she is on her side. Limited damage as far as he can see now, but may put an end to the project. Will wait and see what boat owner says.

Madelein's Daughter is no more..............Damage from Debbie was too much and she will be scrapped.

Guess it was always a borderline fix from the beginning, but the cyclone damage tipped the scales.

Dick you probably thinking when the Davidson Sweet Caroline became WitchDoctor circa 1983 and their IOR certificate ballast cheat which resulted in their owners getting banned.

My recollection is hazy but that sounds credible...I recall hearing it was Marshall Phillips who got banned, he was the Sweet Caroline owner wasn't he? Not sure how Big schott fitted in - was it renamed Sweet Caroline at some point? I also vaguely recall it may have reverted to Big Schott under a later owner.

I guess all these old IOR clunkers are sitting around on moorings and marinas now.

Dick the memory cells are rooted but pretty sure Marshall Phillips was the owner when it was named Sweet Caroline. The ban was against three or four owners he sold the boat to, a couple who were doctors hence the new name. The pricks pulled some ballast out of it and got caught on account it was bobing around like a cork.

Ah, well I'm happy to stand corrected on that front. Apologies to MP if he's still around and I got that wrong.

Well it wasn't Dick or me

post-108919-0-17063300-1492554747_thumb.jpg

Dick you probably thinking when the Davidson Sweet Caroline became WitchDoctor circa 1983 and their IOR certificate ballast cheat which resulted in their owners getting banned.

My recollection is hazy but that sounds credible...I recall hearing it was Marshall Phillips who got banned, he was the Sweet Caroline owner wasn't he? Not sure how Big schott fitted in - was it renamed Sweet Caroline at some point? I also vaguely recall it may have reverted to Big Schott under a later owner.

I guess all these old IOR clunkers are sitting around on moorings and marinas now.

Dick the memory cells are rooted but pretty sure Marshall Phillips was the owner when it was named Sweet Caroline. The ban was against three or four owners he sold the boat to, a couple who were doctors hence the new name. The pricks pulled some ballast out of it and got caught on account it was bobing around like a cork.

Ah, well I'm happy to stand corrected on that front. Apologies to MP if he's still around and I got that wrong.

attachicon.gifWDoc.jpg

OK, so where would you hide it ... ?

Logically, somewhere outside the environment...

attachicon.gifWDoc.jpg

I don't know about Witchdoctor, but the Peterson 42 Big Schott became Sweet Caroline for a time and then back to Big Schott when it went to Brisbane. Last saw it looking very original in Coffs a few years ago.

attachicon.gifWDoc.jpg

I don't know about Witchdoctor, but the Peterson 42 Big Schott became Sweet Caroline for a time and then back to Big Schott when it went to Brisbane. Last saw it looking very original in Coffs a few years ago.

Big Schott in Sydney way back when... post-449-0-07027600-1492611029_thumb.jpg

The last Diamond Cutter was a timber Davidson One Ton built in NZ and sailed across. One of the best boats I've had the joy of driving. I too have watched the video of her demise several times - shame that one. I did plenty of miles south and north, one Moolooolaba we had 9 drivers and 5 guessers, pressure was on to keep numbers up or you were off!

The previous Diamond Cutter was a Peterson37 and the one before that was a Joubert Brolga33

Big Schott was built for a US owner named, you're not going to believe this, Schott around 1977. An Australian bought it around 1978 or 1979 but I don't remember whether it was Phillips. A guy named Pearson also owned it around that time. There were a few Sweet Carolines - three I think.

Tony Pearson. Not sure if he owned it before Phillips or not.

Jees Peter, where have you been! Thought everyone knew about that link.

On 2017-5-8 at 3:33 PM, Phil said:

Jees Peter, where have you been! Thought everyone knew about that link.

hey Phil, been sailing under my rock. now even I know about it. hope you are doing well.