• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Spudly

Syd-Hobart Yachts, Where are they Now?

12 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Which begs the question, what happened to the boat it was once attached to?

1.8m draft and 1.7 tonnes.... something 40' ish ? or Sydney 38 ish?

On 18/07/2017 at 3:43 PM, Jason AUS said:

1.8m draft and 1.7 tonnes.... something 40' ish ? or Sydney 38 ish?

Nah smaller.  40 footers would be closer to 2.5 tonnes

Just now, DickDastardly said:

Nah smaller.  40 footers would be closer to 2.5 tonnes

Maybe Poodle has traded in the keel on the world's best Sydney 36?

On 7/24/2017 at 10:23 PM, Jason AUS said:

Maybe Poodle has traded in the keel on the world's best Sydney 36?

Maybe a Benny First 35? There was one at Sandringham who replaced the original T-keel a few years ago with a straight fin and vastly improved the performance.

On 12/23/2016 at 0:59 AM, SPORTSCAR said:

Lou Abraham's Challenge 11 (S & S 46) seen here running up river in the King of the Derwent Race in 1983, the year she won the Hobart.

Di Hard, Frers 40, heading upwind.

post-449-0-07354400-1482476339_thumb.jpg

Di Hard was sister to Bondi Tram, but with halyards up. And someone asked after Great News, 1987 Farr 50. Last I knew, she sold to Barcelona after charter to USA Admiral's Cup team in 1989.

On 8/7/2017 at 11:46 AM, Never was said:

Di Hard was sister to Bondi Tram, but with halyards up. And someone asked after Great News, 1987 Farr 50. Last I knew, she sold to Barcelona after charter to USA Admiral's Cup team in 1989.

BT at the finish of the Melbourne Admirals Cup trials long bay race

5995390e9e840_BondiTram.thumb.jpg.f23d928ceaa26ff6f598d86cc56d404c.jpg

GN in the same series during a triangle race

59953946a4344_GreatNews.thumb.jpg.e0cb70145014ef122597d0da07ecba03.jpg

Sportscar - I've said it before....you've got an amazing collection of Australia's sailing history in your possession.. look after it!

3 hours ago, Couta said:

Sportscar - I've said it before....you've got an amazing collection of Australia's sailing history in your possession.. look after it!

Thanks Couta, the photos have been quietly accumulated over the decades, Sadly, I lost a lot of photos in the process of a matrimonial disentanglement, but that was worth it!

I do, however, still have this priceless shot which encompasses quite a bit of that history: 599571ec8e5a0_IMG_6118(1).thumb.JPG.1fb9efe21c9f7b1fa275f17cf48679a2.JPG

IIRC mike fletcher built Great News at McConaghy, she was a Farr 50. (Won the fastnet race chartered by the USA , Blackaller driving.)

Then he did Great Expectation off the same plug, but a much cruiser version of Great News.

On 8/18/2017 at 6:48 PM, euro said:

Is that a Willo and a Boxhead in this pic on the mighty Monnbeffer?

No doubt! And a bunch of other ratbags and n'er do wells....enjoying a cool one heading back to the dock at the end of the notorious Geelong regatta this year....Sportscar doing honours behind the camera!

On 8/18/2017 at 9:10 PM, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Was great news an ex Ragamuffin?

No, she was an original build for John Calvert-Jones.

19 hours ago, Couta said:

No doubt! And a bunch of other ratbags and n'er do wells....enjoying a cool one heading back to the dock at the end of the notorious Geelong regatta this year....Sportscar doing honours behind the camera!

Story of my life Couta, but then I have been told I have a great face... for radio.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:23 PM, SCANAS said:

& what was good news FARR 40 (not od) to great news. 

Good News was/is a Farr 37 and Great News the Farr 50, many years apart but both built for John Calvert-Jones, a past Flying Fifteen World Champion who went on to win one or two Farr 40 OD Worlds. I believe his F40 ODs were called Southern Cross??

He was at one time Rupert Murdoch's brother in law, hence the earlier 'News' connection. The Farr 37 is still racing regularly out of Sandringham YC.

599cc446b3fe0_SYCCentenaryFleet2015(32).thumb.JPG.46fb3907d4e144b84574ddc326c252ed.JPG

On 8/18/2017 at 6:48 PM, euro said:

Is that a Willo and a Boxhead in this pic on the mighty Monnbeffer?

Boxhead would have to be one of the funniest men alive.....If only we had photo's of his ritual first nude shit of any Hobart race.....

On 8/23/2017 at 1:51 PM, PIL007 said:

Boxhead would have to be one of the funniest men alive.....If only we had photo's of his ritual first nude shit of any Hobart race.....

Thank god he didn't do that on the 'Spinner on the way to Geelong. Possibly down to the fact that his boys were on board - there are some things kids just don't need to know about their father.

You're right, Box is one funny dude. T'was altogether a crack-up crew to sail with, Lots of laughs, endless stories of legendary deeds on blue water and some great sailing too.

On 6/29/2017 at 1:32 PM, DickDastardly said:

Weird, that boat was sitting in the yard at Devine Marine on Blackwattle Bay in Sydney for years, that closed down maybe 6-7 years ago.  Someone trucked it to Queensland? 

That design was an utter shitter IIRC, wouldn't touch it.

Is that the Miller and Whitworth 33 called 'Give em plenty'? I did the Gladstone race on it back in the early 80's. And yep it was a shitter all right. 

On 12/16/2016 at 6:56 AM, ALL@SEA said:

She's at the Bellerive Yacht Club, probably getting more love and attention than 90% of 1/2s around the country, seems to be out most weeks - at least for a mid week 'race' between retired gents.

IOR CUP.jpg

WHITE ROCK.jpg

LONG DISTANCE RACE.jpg

On 12/16/2016 at 1:36 AM, thefirstpelican said:

Where did Madmans Woodyard pasture?

LOL.  She's back out of the pasture now and racing regularly in the tri-club long distance series, IOR Cup and also the tri-club midweek series with some success, with a bit of cruising down the Channel thrown in for good measure. The Vetus M2.06 motor has been completely rebuilt. She has recently been weighed for an AMS rating of .786

Does anybody know the name of her builder/original owner and year of launching, please?  Have tried contacting R.Q.Y.S. via Facebook Messenger, but they won't acknowledge the message.

5 hours ago, WIZZA said:

LOL.  She's back out of the pasture now and racing regularly in the tri-club long distance series, IOR Cup and also the tri-club midweek series with some success, with a bit of cruising down the Channel thrown in for good measure. The Vetus M2.06 motor has been completely rebuilt. She has recently been weighed for an AMS rating of .786

Does anybody know the name of her builder/original owner and year of launching, please?  Have tried contacting R.Q.Y.S. via Facebook Messenger, but they won't acknowledge the message.

Just pm me I rebuilt it and put in the vetus in about 1995.

6 minutes ago, lydia said:

Wasted your time contacting RQYS, not a sailing club anymore.

No one wo0uld even know the boat.

Yeah lydia but I bet your sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for tickets to be released for their Wickety Wak concert night...RQ must be spending a fortune on walking-frame and wheelchair access friendly ramps these days instead of sailing.

images (80).jpg

Jack, almost $ 5 million in hard core debt and a 54k accounting profit hiding a real loss in trading of between $250k and $500k and the answer is to put on concerts.

It is not long for this world.

Pity it was something once.

47 minutes ago, lydia said:

Jack, almost $ 5 million in hard core debt and a 54k accounting profit hiding a real loss in trading of between $250k and $500k and the answer is to put on concerts.

It is not long for this world.

Pity it was something once.

I'm not on the ground there anymore but I understand finance and a P&L is only one measure. I'm told this Club enjoys a big spurt in new members and with a very enviable Balance Sheet/Nett Assets incl surplus land and combined with strong existing and recurrent revenue and then future added revenue (ie from existing assets like a hotel and a trillion berths that revert to the club ownership) I would have thought it is probably the last Yacht Club in Oz to ever go tits up.

If you want fucked go to Sydney. Like Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron with generous benefactors in their wheelchairs keeping it going on life support. Similairly RPAYC who are now grappling with next door motor boat club (and good on them) stealing their thunder on Twilight's and now a Pittwater Coff's Race. Times are a changing.

So did the Qld Irish Club!

Try 2 CBD buildings no debt to everything sold and a small surplus.

inslovency is not a balance sheet test. 

^^^ lydia that was a combination of tight arse members who had dust in their wallets, many who only went to their ethnic Club once a year, where the outgoings on a old fucked CBD building were horrendous and to boot a Club that lost its relevance to a changing multi-cultural population where British/Irish decent is now <50% and other entertainment options where you you could eat and drink more cheaply plus get laid without having to first get out on the dance floor while not showing any movement from your dick up. 

Not even Harold Cudmore goes to Irish Clubs anymore, you should follow suit.

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

1981 & Graham Larkin orig owner???

Thanks for that info jack_sparrow.

On 9/24/2017 at 0:31 PM, WIZZA said:

Woodmans Madyard sailed out of Sandringham YC Melbourne for a few years under the ownership of Mike Welsh. Did quite well back then iirc.

Saw this on the weekend while exploring on my adventure bike...... Anyone know anything...?

It was on the north side of Port Macquarie NSW (Hastings river) Riverside Drive just hanging in the paddock

looked to be an IOR Farr 40 that was quite unmolested ...

boat.JPG

37 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

Saw this on the weekend while exploring on my adventure bike...... Anyone know anything...?

It was on the north side of Port Macquarie NSW (Hastings river) Riverside Drive just hanging in the paddock

looked to be an IOR Farr 40 that was quite unmolested ...

boat.JPG

Police Car

On 9/24/2017 at 6:49 PM, lydia said:

Faaaarck I just agreed with us.

lb will along shortly

It is a fine institution. I won't here a word against it. What's not to love about a yacht club themed RSL with a marina in front of it?

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Dick are you a detective?

Nope but many have been watching the Police Car renno for a while now.  No doubt being done on no money by a passionate owner bvut gotta wonder whether it's really likely to take to the water in anger again sadly.    Would be a crying shame if it didn't however.   With the IOR resurgence and all it would be a prime opportunity for someone with some resources.  Piece of history for sure.

I think the current owner has posted someplace in here at some point

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Would help if they put a roof over the old gal if it is a go slow project.

Why? It has "drain" holes in the bottom mate. 

Be great to get her back for the 70th Gladstone next year. The scene of some of Gilbert and the boys greatest crimes.

I've dropped by Police Car's FB site a couple of times over the past few years and I'm disappointed by the slow progress. I was hoping it would appear at the Admirals cup 50th regatta being held in Sydney this year. Police Car is one yacht that I have good memory of liking as a kid.

Didn't Police Car get a very major restoration done in the early 2000's? Got Sir James off the estate to rechristen and everything. That's quite a rapid regression to shitterdom for the old dame.

20 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Be great to get her back for the 70th Gladstone next year. The scene of some of Gilbert and the boys greatest crimes.

After the '83 Sydney to Mooloolaba, 3 of us from Melb hitched a ride with a bunch of PCs crew on the back of a ute back to Brisvegas Airport to fly home.  8 of us on board the ute, 3 in the cab, 5 out back., we came to a traffic logjam at an intersection so Chris Granger jumps out, resplendant in his PC uniform, and starts directing traffic. He sent about thirty bewildered drivers down a dead end road so we could get through the intersection and make our flights. It was piss funny to see at the time and I can still raise a good giggle about it even today. 

Funny story about Hedley Watson, PCs nav in that race too, but that's for another time.

She's Apples 11,  my ride from 91 to 94,  is still racing the CYCA longer races.

Her Hobart winning crew from 91 will be having a few reunion drinks on the CYC deck on Saturday & the boat will be in the pond when she returns from the Lion Island Race for any old crew who want to give her a pat.

Unfortunately the pick I was going to attach here is too big a file.  Bugger!

TUBBY

On 10/3/2017 at 1:53 PM, DickDastardly said:

Nope but many have been watching the Police Car renno for a while now.  No doubt being done on no money by a passionate owner bvut gotta wonder whether it's really likely to take to the water in anger again sadly.    Would be a crying shame if it didn't however.   With the IOR resurgence and all it would be a prime opportunity for someone with some resources.  Piece of history for sure.

I think the current owner has posted someplace in here at some point

Thanks for that... The bottom seems repaired and has an undercoat.... but she is baking.....

On 11/16/2016 at 1:24 AM, SPORTSCAR said:

Heres a couple more shots of Amazon, this time at the CYCA in Sydney.

post-449-0-14518100-1479259302_thumb.jpg

This shot shows an Interesting comparison of stern designs on similar length boats, the skinny Farr designed original Brindabella and the awesomely wide-arsed Amazon from the pen of Kel Steinman who designed some innovative and interesting boats, some more successful than others.

post-449-0-19739500-1479259321_thumb.jpg

amazon was an amazing yacht .. also loved flying colours 

re flying colours .. was it an urban myth that a runner block broke and the ball bearings blasted into a sailors head killing them ? 

1 hour ago, rfullarton said:

re flying colours .. was it an urban myth that a runner block broke and the ball bearings blasted into a sailors head killing them ? 

Sounds like something from Chas's book.

46 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Sounds like something from Chas's book.

I wonder how the book sales are going?? 

11 hours ago, rfullarton said:

From memory the block did the damage, no mention at the time of ball bearings

15 hours ago, mad said:

I wonder how the book sales are going?? 

Pretty good last time I spoke to Chas. He was about to release book number 4.

JK Rowlings must be shitting herself. 

7 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

probably alright. I reckon it'd be a good read.

Don't associate the idiot pimp with the product.

They are very entertaining, the only down side for many of his old mates is that we might get mentioned by name. Chas is one of the great story tellers but it must have been quite a challenge for his editor. The transcripts from the interviews would have read like this..

'I fuckin remember fuckin this one fuckin time fuckin (pause to drag on lung buster) going fuckin up fuckin wind on the fuckin (pause to drag on lung buster) big fuckin Salami off the fuckin coast of the fuckin big fuckin Island (pause to light another lung buster off the butt of the last one) fuckin when we fuckin droped the fuckin cunt of a fuckin rig.(pause to drag on lung buster)  Fuck what a fuckin horror fuckin show it fuckin was (pause to drag on lung buster) Hey Fuck. What the fuckin fuck was I fuckin talking fuckin about?' 

But Ian isn't a pimp. Ian pays pimps. Well Gracies pimp anyway.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

He only said this once??

You know him well Jack. ' Fuckin horror show' is chas's signiture expression.

10 hours ago, Rushman said:

From memory the block did the damage, no mention at the time of ball bearings

It was defo the block. RIP Peter Taylor.

And RIP his son Mark aka Squizzy just a few years ago. Lots of good times together. Miss you Mark.

Lots of Chas tales from Hawaii and Fiji....but favourite was nearly getting press ganged at the end of the '81 hobart as a kid.....I had no idea what i was in for...!!!

23 hours ago, rfullarton said:

amazon was an amazing yacht .. also loved flying colours 

Flying Colours at start of a Melbourne -HobartSCN_0008.thumb.jpg.8a3122d06a6149f424813ec1af74e228.jpg

45 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Flying Colours in King of the Derwent, not sure of the year.

SCN_0009.thumb.jpg.6c93cdf5198513679a9ff53eab115292.jpg

Do I recall a thread aeons ago featuring a picture of it sitting in a paddock someplace in a decripit state?

2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Flying Colours at start of a Melbourne -HobartSCN_0008.thumb.jpg.8a3122d06a6149f424813ec1af74e228.jpg

Did Flying Colours lose their bow under the Portsea Pier before the start of the Westcoaster?

7 hours ago, Rushman said:

Did Flying Colours lose their bow under the Portsea Pier before the start of the Westcoaster?

No, that was Rob Hopcrafts Adams 50' "Animal Farm"

2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

No, that was Rob Hopcrafts Adams 50' "Animal Farm"

Thanks, we were tied up beside them when the bow was ripped off

38 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

What happened

From memory I think it ended up on the bottom? I can vaguely remember it on the news, a nasty swell causing havoc with boats trying to get crew on board before the start, bow got wedged under the pier. Was that the same year they closed the heads for 24 hours?

59 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

What happened

Stand by, photos coming later.

You get a massive surge at the Portsea Pier caused by strong wind against very strong tide. Boats traditionally stayed there after the Cock of the Bay race tied to the pier with stern anchors out overnight in preparation for the West Coaster start the next day. The Farm dipped her nose under the pier with the huge surge and they tried hard to get her out with a crowd of sailors on her bow but eventually the bow sheared off (alloy construction) They tried to tow her to safety but she filled up and sank just out from the pier so they actually started the race with an isolated danger mark attached to her mast which had stayed upright. She lived to sail again.

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Stand by, photos coming later.

You get a massive surge at the Portsea Pier caused by strong wind against very strong tide. Boats traditionally stayed there after the Cock of the Bay race tied to the pier with stern anchors out overnight in preparation for the West Coaster start the next day. The Farm dipped her nose under the pier with the huge surge and they tried hard to get her out with a crowd of sailors on her bow but eventually the bow sheared off (alloy construction) They tried to tow her to safety but she filled up and sank just out from the pier so they actually started the race with an isolated danger mark attached to her mast which had stayed upright. She lived to sail again.

I don't recall the crowd of sailors on the bow, my memory was that it ripped off rather quickly.  

The crew cast off, motored away from the pier, then turned the nose into the waves without plugging the hole... Sunk before they had travelled 100m!

18 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

Do I recall a thread aeons ago featuring a picture of it sitting in a paddock someplace in a decripit state?

It seems many old Hobart boats end up either in paddocks with possums rooting in them or in Airlie beach with eurotrash backpackers rooting in them. Neither is a dignified ending.

4 hours ago, Rushman said:

I don't recall the crowd of sailors on the bow, my memory was that it ripped off rather quickly.  

The crew cast off, motored away from the pier, then turned the nose into the waves without plugging the hole... Sunk before they had travelled 100m!

Definitely a crowd. When they got her out of there the crowd all moved to the stern to try and keep the (missing) bow out of the water, sadly  not effective.

59db29bcb87d6_AnimalFarm(3).jpg.303e0fffc51460a8c5efc01f4a260551.jpg

Animal Farm  (4).jpg

Thanks @SPORTSCAR, great photos.

Scavenger was already gone from your crowd photo so I must have missed that action or my memory is going

We motored south, looking for somewhere to anchor until the motor died (kink in the fuel return hose)... It was an eventful afternoon