Spudly

Syd-Hobart Yachts, Where are they Now?

On 12/29/2017 at 8:14 AM, SCANAS said:

The Great Southerly Floating Hotel. Crowdfund the purchase and put her in the Maritime Museum. If those cabin walls could talk

On 12/25/2015 at 8:09 PM, capt.carlos said:

The yacht hit the rocks off Flinders Is. In the 2009 Flinders Is. Race. Destroyed her and we lost Andrew and Sally Gordon, the navigator.

Something weird was going on with the GPS system that night. The accuracy was way down. I know, I was on a boat behind them in that race..

I recall this, as it was used as a example in a non-sailing training about GPS and it limits.

Due to how the orbits worked, there was only 3 sats high enough in orbit, and two of them where so close together that they might as well been one sat.  Thus with only 2 readings, GPS loses accuracy, and there was other GPS users (was a construction site IIRC, perhaps a tunnel) actually stopped construction earlier that night due to errors.  

4 hours ago, distorted humor said:

I recall this, as it was used as a example in a non-sailing training about GPS and it limits.

Due to how the orbits worked, there was only 3 sats high enough in orbit, and two of them where so close together that they might as well been one sat.  Thus with only 2 readings, GPS loses accuracy, and there was other GPS users (was a construction site IIRC, perhaps a tunnel) actually stopped construction earlier that night due to errors.  

All true but made no difference and was not a factor in the grounding

1 hour ago, PIL007 said:

All true but made no difference and was not a factor in the grounding

From the Report

from the information available it would appear that PwC was being navigated with a very high degree of reliance on the chart plotter on deck and GPS.  As discussed earlier in this report the system is subject to a number of errors and the picture presented needs to be interpreted and not relied upon as being infallible.  Statements from the crew suggest that the chart plotter was the sole input into the boat’s safe navigation and it was being used to determine a safe distance to pass to the north of the islet and clear of dangers.   

Never said it was the only cause, however to say that it was not a factor is just plain wrong.    I tired skipper using a GPS producing wrong information due to the Sat issues caused the yacht to go in the rocks. 

Of course, if the skipper used other methods it would have been avoided, just as it would have been avoided if the GPS was giving correct info.   

2 hours ago, distorted humor said:

From the Report

Never said it was the only cause, however to say that it was not a factor is just plain wrong.    I tired skipper using a GPS producing wrong information due to the Sat issues caused the yacht to go in the rocks. 

Of course, if the skipper used other methods it would have been avoided, just as it would have been avoided if the GPS was giving correct info.   

Read all you like Distorted.... Andrew did not look at the GPS after getting visual on the island (2 or more miles off).... I was there standing next to him.

Sally was not navigating either

• Like 3

On 1 January 2018 at 8:37 PM, Last Post said:

The Great Southerly Floating Hotel. Crowdfund the purchase and put her in the Maritime Museum. If those cabin walls could talk

They would probably mumble.  Chas & Donny could talk for hours down there & no-one else would understand a word,  unless you had been drinking with them!

Tubby

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PIL007 said:

Whats the history behind Checkmate..?

IMG_3843.JPG

Here's some info. 

4 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

Whats the history behind Checkmate..?

IMG_3843.JPG

I remember she was one of the gun boats at the '82 clipper cup. Before they took the chainsaw to the transom obviously.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2018 at 7:44 PM, Weyalan said:

I note that Ultimate Challenge (Dubois 1-tonner, built for Lou A) did passably well in the L2H race.

They took 'puddle deck' into Bass strait? Fark - braver men than me.

8 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Why is that? She did win a Hobart.

2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Why is that? She did win a Hobart.

She did, actually... as far as I know, the only Dubois to have done so...

10 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Extensive sections of the deck have been replaced/recored. A slightly larger coachhouse has replaced the old "matchbox on it's side" and the rotten aluminium space-frame has also been replaced, bilge lead taken out, bulb fitted too keel, etc among other things

I delivered the boat from Hobart to Launceston a while back, I wasn't particularly scared and I'm not exactly a brave man

Here a random question. 

In reading about the 1998 race, I enjoyed the odd name of Foxtel Titan Ford.

What is that yacht doing these days?  

3 hours ago, distorted humor said:

Here a random question. 

That would have been Stan Zemarnec's boat.... good question... 

2 hours ago, PIL007 said:

That would have been Stan Zemarnec's boat.... good question... 

Wasn’t that the old morning mist 3,  Alf Neats Boat  ?

if it was it is in Asia and was on the market a few years back on Yachting  world 

pulpit

7 hours ago, distorted humor said:

Here a random question. 

Just as an aside, Foxtel is our cable TV company and Titan Ford was a Sydney car dealership... ;)

• Like 1

Pretty sure that Ultimate Challenge had a new keel after the 1987 CMAC, designed by Scott Jutson. Apparently the foredeck team were drawing submarine pay downhill. Boat went good after that. She won in 1989, Sagacious V second and I believe True Blue third. Drumbeat won line honors. 

As for Checkmate, "Fuckin Bewdifull!!", said in the voice of Jake Heke, aka Jake the Muss.

3 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Hollywood/Living Doll is now a former S2H yacht, sitting at the bottom of Bass Strait. 

Living Doll might be one of the all-time great boat names.

7 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

and one of the all-time ugliest sail graphics.

ld_boat2.jpg.021657b6988b995041124fa200d53dd3.jpg

9 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Hollywood/Living Doll is now a former S2H yacht, sitting at the bottom of Bass Strait. 

Bass Strait is west of Flinders Island and she went down 150 nm east of Flinders Island. Sadly, she's now resting at the bottom of the Tasman Sea.

6 hours ago, ASP said:

Living Doll might be one of the all-time great boat names.

Along with their support rib "Blow up Doll". 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 10:58 AM, FINS said:

What ever happened to Wild Thing - the 100'er?

On 1/12/2018 at 12:09 PM, jackolantern said:

Shed in europe somewhere. Embroiled in a legal battle. Someone here has to know which shed though. Cmon boys, check your backyards!

Alright, saw a post on facebook this afternoon that some new rigging was made for Wild Thing by RSB in Palma. Might she be poking her nose out of the shed this Spring? 

On 1/15/2018 at 1:27 PM, Last Post said:

Bass Strait is west of Flinders Island and she went down 150 nm east of Flinders Island. Sadly, she's now resting at the bottom of the Tasman Sea.

Ah no ... currently located out the back of Innovation Composites in Nowra, presumably getting repaired.

19 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

Ah no ... currently located out the back of Innovation Composites in Nowra, presumably getting repaired.

Looks like a few people lost interest in HB before it was towed in and hauled out.

At least put some primer on it. Drop a zero while you are there. 

35 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

At least put some primer on it. Drop a zero while you are there. 

"To have this built today would cost many many times the asking price" ... :)

who does the seller think would want to build a boat to a 1980's design from scratch..

It's only really worth the scrap value and perhaps if it was priced accordingly maybe someone might brave a project.... From what I can see, the absolute best price is $2 per kg but I've seen it as low as $0.20 per kg. 

• Like 1

Any time a seller emphasizes a boat's "history", you pretty much know that it is overpriced or that its current condition is poor. Usually both!

i am based in Sydney I can travel to Melbourne for inspections if needed iam sorry to say i am the only one who can show the yacht there will be a cost involved to cover time & transport though if we have a few interested parties to share costs if needed this may work for serious buyers

Apparently he lives in an parallel universe where there is an incredibly strong seller's market for tired old boats.

6 hours ago, Svanen said:

Apparently he lives in an parallel universe where there is an incredibly strong seller's market for tired old boats.

Someone from Sydney should contact him, saying they are interested but want him to share flight costs for their flight to inspect.

Time to engage a broker....

11 hours ago, huey 2 said:

If you want a 50 foot Steinman boat, you might be better off buying Galaxy. It might not have the history of FC, but for a similar asking price you can get a complete boat that is regularly out sailing. We crossed twilight fleets with them several times in summer and they were out sailing last weekend as well. 

http://sundancemarine.com.au/brokerage/sail-yacht/kel-steinman-50/

23 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

Is Galaxy cold moulded over an aluminium frame ?

Another listing says "Timber Timber Western Red Cedar/Fiberglass" but it does look in the photo as you described.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/steinman-50/200910

Could be an ok project boat for a few old retired guys who want an excuse to get out of the house and freshen it up and race twilights.

1 hour ago, trt131 said:

I see Kell regularly and he is going OK,  He is old but holding his own.

Sadly, Flying Colours original owner John Lake is not doing so well. Nice bloke, gave plenty of youngsters an intro to offshore racing.

51 minutes ago, hoppy said:

If you want a 50 foot Steinman boat, you might be better off buying Galaxy. It might not have the history of FC, but for a similar asking price you can get a complete boat that is regularly out sailing. We crossed twilight fleets with them several times in summer and they were out sailing last weekend as well. 

http://sundancemarine.com.au/brokerage/sail-yacht/kel-steinman-50/

The owner built Laxative behind his (Shell?) gas station on the corner of Dandenong Rd and Chapel St in Windsor. The build took him many years and she made the press when they craned her out over the top of the building at that busy intersection. No idea what she's built of but she is still going strong.

Wonder what happened to her near sister Mandrake? Typical Kel boats with his different approach tothe IOR rule. They have an odd rig configuration with a tiny fore-triangle, small headsails and spinnakers but a monster mainsail. 

13 hours ago, huey 2 said:

Pretty sure Farrawa wasn't built by Binks.  IIRC she was one of 3 or 4 Farr 2 tonners that I helped build in the old Navy shed in Jenkins Street, Birkenhead.  They were good looking boats.

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

Another listing says "Timber Timber Western Red Cedar/Fiberglass" but it does look in the photo as you described.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/steinman-50/200910

Could be an ok project boat for a few old retired guys who want an excuse to get out of the house and freshen it up and race twilights.

They would be better served buying a brand new FE28r! 

1 hour ago, Last Post said:

Typical Kel boats with his different approach tothe IOR rule. They have an odd rig configuration with a tiny fore-triangle, small headsails and spinnakers but a monster mainsail. 

Must be fun to drive on a reach ;) 

26 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

They would be better served buying a brand new FE28r! 

not for old guys with beards who like tinkering....

51 minutes ago, hoppy said:

not for old guys with beards who like tinkering....

I've never understood those kinda guys! 

2 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Isn't there one in a yard in industrial part of Marrickville ?

You might be thinking of Innkeeper, it's in a yard in Campsie someplace IIRC.  Joe Adams design.

5 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Pretty sure Farrawa wasn't built by Binks.  IIRC she was one of 3 or 4 Farr 2 tonners that I helped build in the old Navy shed in Jenkins Street, Birkenhead.  They were good looking boats. 

it looks like a two tonner from sydney  called Dynamite owned by ian french ,a really nice guy who sadly passed away a few years ago,it did all the east coast races back in the day

2 minutes ago, halfhour said:

it looks like a two tonner from sydney  called Dynamite owned by ian french ,a really nice guy who sadly passed away a few years ago,it did all the east coast races back in the day

There were a lot of beers drunk on that boat

1 hour ago, Bill E Goat said:

There were a lot of beers drunk on that boat

great bunch of guys ,a lot of the crew went on to sail Star Ferry and Half Hour ,all boats with a high beer per mile average

2 hours ago, halfhour said:

Dynamite had teh two tiered transom like the Farr 1104.  I saw it being worked on pretty extensively in Coffs Harbour 7 or 8 years ago so I guess it's up the north coast somewhere.  cool boat.

19 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

You might be thinking of Innkeeper, it's in a yard in Campsie someplace IIRC.  Joe Adams design.

It's not often (ever) that I get to correct the great DD, but she's definitely a Steinmann.

Innkeeper is 65' long, alloy built, and was sailed in a round the world race by David Adams. She was raced hard by Bush & Ferros and then raced even harder by Andrew Short.

When we sailed Amazon and Shorty owned Innkeeper we regularly used to have her all over us square running as she's a bloody toothpick, and loves lots of breeze. Shorty had this jet black masthead chute that would stay up for ever and a crew that just kept pushing her harder and harder.

In the early part of the 2000's she was abandoned on a delivery home from Hobart after the rig came down, but she didn't sink. After salvage the owner mothballed in his industrial yard in Canterbury and she's been there ever since. You can see her on Google Maps, and I'll post the link once I find her.

EDIT: https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.9161096,151.1083218,3a,75y,265.96h,89.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scSF7QybC8Ua4v3SiJQkh2Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Like 2

17 hours ago, halfhour said:

Not the same design as Dynamite (as DD says, D had the 2 stage transom, Farrawa was a single slab transom like Red Lion).  Dynamite was built for Paul White, ex Darwin bloke, who sailed her to Hobart a couple of times.

2 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

It's not often (ever) that I get to correct the great DD, but she's definitely a Steinmann.

Innkeeper is 65' long, alloy built, and was sailed in a round the world race by David Adams. She was raced hard by Bush & Ferros and then raced even harder by Andrew Short.

When we sailed Amazon and Shorty owned Innkeeper we regularly used to have her all over us square running as she's a bloody toothpick, and loves lots of breeze. Shorty had this jet black masthead chute that would stay up for ever and a crew that just kept pushing her harder and harder.

In the early part of the 2000's she was abandoned on a delivery home from Hobart after the rig came down, but she didn't sink. After salvage the owner mothballed in his industrial yard in Canterbury and she's been there ever since. You can see her on Google Maps, and I'll post the link once I find her.

EDIT: https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.9161096,151.1083218,3a,75y,265.96h,89.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scSF7QybC8Ua4v3SiJQkh2Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I stand corrected m'lord!

Can't imagine there's much of a business case to get it out of the yard anytime this side of the year 3000.  I guess it'd be a good sled option for the Transpac though.  

• Like 1

and it is not the only boat mothballed in that yard !!!

Anyone know where the three "sisterships" Apollo V,  Ragamuffin (the 1980 version) and Taurus II ended up?

And INNKEEPER was an Adams, at least the first one was an Adams 11.9.

Owner and his son were publicans hence the name.

Became Terror and I think Sportscar then, who cares

I sailed the scow for a while when it was in residence on Pittwater. It was a hoot to sail but didn't have enough rocker to cope with the swell running around Lion Island. It submarined a lot and capsized a few too many times for the race committee. It was finally asked no to race with the club... :P

18 hours ago, DtM said:

Anyone know where the three "sisterships" Apollo V,  Ragamuffin (the 1980 version) and Taurus II ended up?

Are you sure they are sisterships?  I did a couple of Hobarts on the Two Headed Tortois

So did I, 1981 and 1982.  

I am sure they are sisters or supposed to be.

On 4/28/2018 at 5:41 PM, trt131 said:

Snap, we must have sailed together.  Were you involved in the infamous Customs House session.

I thought that was an annual event.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:22 PM, DickDastardly said:

classy collection...

All around Truck Crane for hire and boat mover "Ken Amy" I believe owns that collection .... 

There was once a challenge to find the fastest boat back in the day between the Scow, an 18 footer and one more from memory.... anyone here have enough cells to remember...? 

On 5/11/2018 at 11:55 AM, Last Post said:

I thought that was an annual event.

The one I am alluding to was very boat specific but part of the general mayhem.

• Like 1

If I recall correctly memorialised by a plaque on the wall of the Customs House.

4 hours ago, PIL007 said:

All around Truck Crane for hire and boat mover "Ken Amy" I believe owns that collection .... 

There was once a challenge to find the fastest boat back in the day between the Scow, an 18 footer and one more from memory.... anyone here have enough cells to remember...? 

Keith Williams in the scow v Sorro in the Tia Maria I think on Lake Macquarie, the 18 flogged them

• Like 1