• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Spudly

Syd-Hobart Yachts, Where are they Now?

On 12/29/2017 at 8:14 AM, SCANAS said:

The Great Southerly Floating Hotel. Crowdfund the purchase and put her in the Maritime Museum. If those cabin walls could talk

On 12/25/2015 at 8:09 PM, capt.carlos said:

The yacht hit the rocks off Flinders Is. In the 2009 Flinders Is. Race. Destroyed her and we lost Andrew and Sally Gordon, the navigator.

Something weird was going on with the GPS system that night. The accuracy was way down. I know, I was on a boat behind them in that race..

I recall this, as it was used as a example in a non-sailing training about GPS and it limits.

Due to how the orbits worked, there was only 3 sats high enough in orbit, and two of them where so close together that they might as well been one sat.  Thus with only 2 readings, GPS loses accuracy, and there was other GPS users (was a construction site IIRC, perhaps a tunnel) actually stopped construction earlier that night due to errors.  

4 hours ago, distorted humor said:

I recall this, as it was used as a example in a non-sailing training about GPS and it limits.

Due to how the orbits worked, there was only 3 sats high enough in orbit, and two of them where so close together that they might as well been one sat.  Thus with only 2 readings, GPS loses accuracy, and there was other GPS users (was a construction site IIRC, perhaps a tunnel) actually stopped construction earlier that night due to errors.  

All true but made no difference and was not a factor in the grounding

1 hour ago, PIL007 said:

All true but made no difference and was not a factor in the grounding

From the Report

from the information available it would appear that PwC was being navigated with a very high degree of reliance on the chart plotter on deck and GPS.  As discussed earlier in this report the system is subject to a number of errors and the picture presented needs to be interpreted and not relied upon as being infallible.  Statements from the crew suggest that the chart plotter was the sole input into the boat’s safe navigation and it was being used to determine a safe distance to pass to the north of the islet and clear of dangers.   

Never said it was the only cause, however to say that it was not a factor is just plain wrong.    I tired skipper using a GPS producing wrong information due to the Sat issues caused the yacht to go in the rocks. 

Of course, if the skipper used other methods it would have been avoided, just as it would have been avoided if the GPS was giving correct info.   

2 hours ago, distorted humor said:

From the Report

Never said it was the only cause, however to say that it was not a factor is just plain wrong.    I tired skipper using a GPS producing wrong information due to the Sat issues caused the yacht to go in the rocks. 

Of course, if the skipper used other methods it would have been avoided, just as it would have been avoided if the GPS was giving correct info.   

Read all you like Distorted.... Andrew did not look at the GPS after getting visual on the island (2 or more miles off).... I was there standing next to him.

Sally was not navigating either

• Like 3

On 1 January 2018 at 8:37 PM, Last Post said:

The Great Southerly Floating Hotel. Crowdfund the purchase and put her in the Maritime Museum. If those cabin walls could talk

They would probably mumble.  Chas & Donny could talk for hours down there & no-one else would understand a word,  unless you had been drinking with them!

Tubby

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PIL007 said:

Whats the history behind Checkmate..?

IMG_3843.JPG

Here's some info. 

4 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

Whats the history behind Checkmate..?

IMG_3843.JPG

I remember she was one of the gun boats at the '82 clipper cup. Before they took the chainsaw to the transom obviously.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2018 at 7:44 PM, Weyalan said:

I note that Ultimate Challenge (Dubois 1-tonner, built for Lou A) did passably well in the L2H race.

They took 'puddle deck' into Bass strait? Fark - braver men than me.

8 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Why is that? She did win a Hobart.

2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Why is that? She did win a Hobart.

She did, actually... as far as I know, the only Dubois to have done so...

10 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Extensive sections of the deck have been replaced/recored. A slightly larger coachhouse has replaced the old "matchbox on it's side" and the rotten aluminium space-frame has also been replaced, bilge lead taken out, bulb fitted too keel, etc among other things

I delivered the boat from Hobart to Launceston a while back, I wasn't particularly scared and I'm not exactly a brave man

Here a random question. 

In reading about the 1998 race, I enjoyed the odd name of Foxtel Titan Ford.

What is that yacht doing these days?  

3 hours ago, distorted humor said:

Here a random question. 

That would have been Stan Zemarnec's boat.... good question... 

2 hours ago, PIL007 said:

That would have been Stan Zemarnec's boat.... good question... 

Wasn’t that the old morning mist 3,  Alf Neats Boat  ?

if it was it is in Asia and was on the market a few years back on Yachting  world 

pulpit

7 hours ago, distorted humor said:

Here a random question. 

Just as an aside, Foxtel is our cable TV company and Titan Ford was a Sydney car dealership... ;)

• Like 1

Pretty sure that Ultimate Challenge had a new keel after the 1987 CMAC, designed by Scott Jutson. Apparently the foredeck team were drawing submarine pay downhill. Boat went good after that. She won in 1989, Sagacious V second and I believe True Blue third. Drumbeat won line honors. 

As for Checkmate, "Fuckin Bewdifull!!", said in the voice of Jake Heke, aka Jake the Muss.

3 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Hollywood/Living Doll is now a former S2H yacht, sitting at the bottom of Bass Strait. 

Living Doll might be one of the all-time great boat names.

7 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

and one of the all-time ugliest sail graphics.

ld_boat2.jpg.021657b6988b995041124fa200d53dd3.jpg

9 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Hollywood/Living Doll is now a former S2H yacht, sitting at the bottom of Bass Strait. 

Bass Strait is west of Flinders Island and she went down 150 nm east of Flinders Island. Sadly, she's now resting at the bottom of the Tasman Sea.

6 hours ago, ASP said:

Living Doll might be one of the all-time great boat names.

Along with their support rib "Blow up Doll". 

• Like 1